Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,417 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (129) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2189188 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tantolu: 2:41am On Apr 29, 2019
Great people of this forum,
Am new in Alberta,currently preparing for my Drivers Licence Knowledge Test,Pls i need a guide on how to get ABSTRACT from FRSC
1).Which address do i ask FRSC to send the ABSRACT to?Is there any specific Alberta Transport Agency that would receive it?
2).After sending a e- mail to FRSC,do i need to do any form of follow up? Thank you.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Majesticniyi(m): 3:58am On Apr 29, 2019
Tantolu:
Great people of this forum,
Am new in Alberta,currently preparing for my Drivers Licence Knowledge Test,Pls i need a guide on how to get ABSTRACT from FRSC
1).Which address do i ask FRSC to send the ABSRACT to?Is there any specific Alberta Transport Agency that would receive it?
2).After sending a e- mail to FRSC,do i need to do any form of follow up? Thank you.

You only need your ORIGINAL Drivers licence in Alberta. I think your extract helps with insurance though. Mine was addressed to

DRIVERS LICENCING,

ALBERTA TRANSPORTATION,

CANADA.

The license will be delivered to a physical address. How do you plan getting it here?

8 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tantolu: 4:29am On Apr 29, 2019
Majesticniyi:

You only need your ORIGINAL Drivers licence in Alberta. I think your extract helps with insurance though. Mine was addressed to

DRIVERS LICENCING,

ALBERTA TRANSPORTATION,

CANADA.

The license will be delivered to a physical address. How do you plan getting it here?

Thank you Majesticniyi,

I have my original current-Nigeria Drivers Licence with me.I learnt i would only be considered for Grade Level 5 Alberta Driver's Licence test based on the confirmation of my previous driving experience.Ive contacted 2 registries on it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 5:19am On Apr 29, 2019
Tantolu:

Thank you Majesticniyi,

I have my original current-Nigeria Drivers Licence with me.I learnt i would only be considered for Grade Level 5 Alberta Driver's Licence test based on the confirmation of my previous driving experience.Ive contacted 2 registries on it.

A class 5 license is basically the highest level for nonprofessional driving.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by claseek(f): 6:30am On Apr 29, 2019
joo2018:
Interesting video.

Things I learned when I moved to Canada from Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewkLI7zq050

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by claseek(f): 7:06am On Apr 29, 2019
joo2018:

Canadian Slang Vs Nigerian Slang | Couple Challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyufCT164bw&index=197&list=WL&t=0s

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Majesticniyi(m): 7:23am On Apr 29, 2019
Tantolu:

Thank you Majesticniyi,

You really don't need more than a Class 5 except you have other plans cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oakville19: 2:20pm On Apr 29, 2019
Majesticniyi:

DRIVERS LICENCING,

ALBERTA TRANSPORTATION,

CANADA.

Please do you know if I will need the FRSC letter in Ontario.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Majesticniyi(m): 2:03am On Apr 30, 2019
Oakville19:

You do need the extract plus Drivers licence in Ontario amongst other provinces.
I stay in Alberta so you need people in Ontario to validate my answer. In any case though, I prefer to get all possible documents sorted and gotten before leaving Nigeria to avoid stories that touch grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheCongo2: 2:06am On Apr 30, 2019
Oakville19:

If you have been driving for at least 3 years, yes you will need the FRSC letter in Ontario.
Else, if your driving record is less than 3 years, the FRSC letter become irrelevant.

Last year I took a Nigerian couple to get their driver's licenses at Service Ontario.
The wife was about 4 weeks short of reaching her 3 years driving record mark.
The clerk at Service Ontario explained to her that she had a choice of returning after 4 weeks so that the FRSC letter could be taken into consideration. Else, Service Ontario wasn't going to consider the FRSC letter. The lady had to return to Service Ontario after reaching her 3 year Nigerian driving anniversary

***** Edit: cheromel indicated that he was able to use his FRSC letter in Toronto with 26 months driving record. It may be that the rule had changed.

7 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newbeecey: 2:42am On Apr 30, 2019
Hello Everyone,

Please I need a "personal" response to this very pressing question,( ie you have , or know someone who has ) as I might have more questions. How does a landed immigrant (ie PR) have a baby in Ontario without having to incur medical expenses if for instances the person lands in the 8th month of pregnancy , this is bearing in mind the 90 days or so waiting period for Ontario's health card.

Urgent responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Walesby: 6:40am On Apr 30, 2019
@waldowImmicad, a funny situation.... I haven't been resident in Nigeria for like 3 years, (though I have bn travelling back and forth on visits ) but i hold a Valid Nigeria Drivers Licence and was also able to obtain the Driving extract.

Will questions arise on my eligibility to transfer my Driving experience base on the fact that I wasn't resident in Naija during the last 3 years?

Also, if there are no issues, I probably think i would need a refresher course before I proceed to the main driving test...What do you think?

PS: Yes, I can drive I just didn't need the licence of the country I have been staying for the past 3 years... smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Marula: 7:01am On Apr 30, 2019
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oakville19: 7:41am On Apr 30, 2019
TheCongo2:

If you have been driving for at least 3 years, yes you will need the FRSC letter in Ontario.
Else, if your driving record is less than 3 years, the FRSC letter become irrelevant.

WaldowIMMICAD:
I am not aware of FRSC, but what you need in Ontario is the experience

Majesticniyi:

You do need the extract plus Drivers licence in Ontario amongst other provinces.
I grin

Thanks a lot this is very helpful.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oakville19: 7:43am On Apr 30, 2019
Tantolu:

Op,

If am already in Canada ,do i process this FRSC Extract and take it to the Registry personally,or expect FRSC to send it to the Transport Agency of my Province? Thanks

You process it personally either from Nigeria or I think a Nigerian embassy in Canada.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Adunnee: 9:57am On Apr 30, 2019
PORT OF ENTRY

You can legally cross the Canadian border at any Port of Entry with your Valid COPR and other documents. Canadian port of entry includes the following:

Port of Entry (Air)– Canadian Airports which are recognised as Port of entry are Vancouver International Airport, Halifax Stanfield International Airport, Toronto Pearson International Airport and Montréal – Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport.
Port of Entry (Land)– Canadian Land port of entries are Niagara Falls – Rainbow Bridge, Windsor – Ambassador Bridge, Boundary Bay (BC), Chateaugay- Herdman Border (Quebec), Scobey – Coronach Border Crossing (Saskatchewan).
Rail Crossing (Land) – Cross the border with the help of a train at Niagara Falls, Cantic (Quebec), White Rock.
Port of Entry (Water) – Ferry crossings and seaports are considered water port of entry, like Prince Rupert (BC- Ferry), Yarmouth (Nova Scotia -Ferry), Belledune Port (New Brunswick – Sea), Sept- IIes Port (Quebec – Sea) and St. John’s Port (Sea).

What happens when you Enter from Port of Entry?
STEP 1
At the port of entry when you enter, you will find a queue. Queue up in the newly immigrant section as it is different from the regular immigration section at most of the airports. The first thing is to make a declaration in front of a Machine, which will scan your passport and take a picture. Make sure you answer all the questions carefully (ask for assistance if you do not understand anything), declare any money above C$ 10,000.

Step 2
Once you are done with the first step mentioned above, you will have a printed slip, which you have to carry it along with you. You will next provide your documents to CBSA officer and tell him/her, that you are landing as a Permanent Resident and provide your Passport and COPR. The officer will ask some questions and some relevant documents. After the satisfaction of the CBSA officer, the COPR will be filed and stamped with the landing date mentioned on it (it is advised to cross-check the landing date). At this point of time you must provide an address in Canada, where you want your PR card to be delivered. If you do not have an address in Canada contact us.

Step 3
After this, you might be asked to visit the customs officer. At this point, you must carry Two copies of Personal affects accounting document(List of goods and their value accompanying) and a Personal affects accounting document (List of goods and their value which will come later). You might not be asked about these documents, but if you have goods like jewellery and expensive items which will be coming later, you must get these documents signed and stamped.

Step 4
At last, collect your baggage. Sometimes the above process will take 2-3 hours depending on your time and month of arrival, but do not worry. Your baggage is securely removed from the luggage belt and kept next to it.

Note

If you land during working hours, you might see an office of Service Canada. You should apply for your Social Insurance Number (SIN). This saves your settling time. Service Canada is generally located next to the CBSA officers’ section, but it varies from different Port of entries.

Once you are done with all these steps, you are welcome in Canada and you can start settling down.

47 Likes 56 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspect33(m): 10:52am On Apr 30, 2019
czaratwork:
Accountants and finance professionals, please ensure you learn advanced excel before coming in. I mean pivot tables, recording macros, VBA, vlookup, sumifs etc. It will help you in your job hunt. You can spice it up by learning powerpoint too as you can be called to do presentations at short notice. You can also visit indeed.ca to have an idea of the requirements for the career you want to pursue.

Also consider financial analyst role as you can never get it wrong with this role. If you type in financial analyst role in GTA in indeed, you will see that job berekete here. The question is Do you have the skills? All you need is experience in advanced excel where you use the tools to perform variance analysis (actual vs budgeted) with pivot charts, budgeting, monthend activities and presentation skills. You may also need experience in an ERP like SAP, ORACLE, JEDWARDS and co. I tell you they are ready to waive that Canadian experience if you have the skills. I have seen it happen for people.

There are so many free tutorials on excel and powerpoint on youtube and these videos come with materials you can practice with. udemy.com also has very cheap training on financial analysis. Some banks in Naija call this role performance management. We have performed most of these roles but with different titles/names.

Some keywords you can add to your resume are balanced scorecards, flash reports (just before month end variance analysis) and dashboard (after month end variance analysis) Monthly business review (MBR) process improvement and automation (excel helps you do both)etc.

Prepare very well before coming here and you will not waste time in the labour market.

Ok bye.
Good day sir, in regards to job openings in Canada, which of this field is mostly favoured, Finance or Marketing, and secondly can a finance graduate work as an accountant? thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MAYA2019: 12:53pm On Apr 30, 2019
Hello everyone, I have been following and reading a lot, though never contributed. Sorry about that. We have gotten our PPR and COPR, and my husband is suggesting we leave in August. Im very grateful to God for this opportunity but I also have my fears. I have a 3 months old baby which means I cant work for I period of time and that is where the fear comes in. I have a very good job here in Nigeria that pays me more than half a million a month. I have never depended solely on my husband to provide everything we needed. I have always worked even when I was in school. I love my family so the option of me going to just land and come back is out of the question because I can never be separated from them ( by the way we have 4 kids).
Pardon me if Im going in circles but the thing is I need advice on what to do while nursing my baby at home.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Walesby: 2:32pm On Apr 30, 2019
Anyone currently in this dilemma or has any experience about this.

Walesby:
@waldowImmicad, a funny situation.... I haven't been resident in Nigeria for like 3 years, (though I have bn travelling back and forth on visits ) but i hold a Valid Nigeria Drivers Licence and was also able to obtain the Driving extract.

Will questions arise on my eligibility to transfer my Driving experience base on the fact that I wasn't resident in Naija during the last 3 years?

Also, if there are no issues, I probably think i would need a refresher course before I proceed to the main driving test...What do you think?

PS: Yes, I can drive I just didn't need the licence of the country I have been staying for the past 3 years... smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 2:49pm On Apr 30, 2019
Bibididi:
Hello Fam,
For people who need help to process their WAEC confirmation of result, I'm here to render that service.

Total cost May/June result processing - #28000
Total cost of Nov/Dec result processing- #30000.
N.B: The price is inclusive of all expenses from start to finish. No hidden charges. This is a reliable service, Call or chat me on 07033971645

You can use an escrow service to get more customers. The selling point being that they get their money back if you fail to deliver. It's sort of like a pay after delivery service only that you are 100% sure of getting paid after delivering the service. Visit www.forexcrow.com today and sign up for free.

Cheers.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by finishedworks: 3:00pm On Apr 30, 2019
[color=#000099][/color] Good afternoon house. Please not very clear about the extract thing. Am still in Nigeria, if I process it before leaving, am I to collect it or is it to be sent to an address direct from FRSC. If it's to be sent to what address .
Oakville19:

You process it personally either from Nigeria or I think a Nigerian embassy in Canada.

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.