Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,990 members, 7,825,069 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation (12985 Views)

Jerry Kumuyi, Pastor Kumuyi's Son Confesses About His Salvation / Bishop Oyedepo: "A Christian Can Lose His Salvation" / Charley Boy Testifies Of His Salvation At Christ Embassy Abuja Today(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 9:44am On Jan 06, 2019
fasho01:

You make a compelling argument as this is exactly how the scriptures say about this plainly though I know several people will have a dissenting view about this.

However, why don't you have a compelling argument based on the same scriptures about first fruits as plainly as this?

The below link is compelling enough to the meek and humble who are willing to obey the word of God.

https://www.nairaland.com/4938431/it-not-law-moses-god
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by ecstasy357(m): 9:45am On Jan 06, 2019
You made a lot of sense. As a matter of fact, I think you r correct but the term "once saved is forever saved" is making so many of us live in sin.

We've been asked to work out our salvation with fear n trembling. According to u, to make it desirable by others. Also I think that we ought not to get carried away by d things of this world that we will not b found wanting...hence d fear n trembling in working out.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by Feranmi4christ(m): 9:49am On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
We are all sinners as long as we are in the flesh. But once you are born again, you get a new spirit. This means your soul is saved but your flesh remains the same. That flesh will keep making you fall to sin, but as long as your spirit is saved, nothing can ever make you miss heaven. Nothing can pluck you out of God's hand, not even you because God is stronger than you and all. That's why Jesus proudly said he cannot lose all that God has given him.

John 19:27-30
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know
them, and they follow me:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
30 I and my Father are one.

Bro, I don't have time for argument about your post, but this your comment pushed me... What a deep heresy is this! Don't ever tell me the Holy Spirit thought you this, why do you people love to twist the scripture by your canal knowledge to suit your taste? You people love to bring down the standard of God to suit your standard and by that confusing and misleading people.

Revelation 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 9:51am On Jan 06, 2019
1StopRudeness:

Oga pastor how many times do u wanna bring this topic...oya interpreted 1corinthiana 15:2...

If that one no do you, who are the people Jesus was referring to that will say"we cast out demons in ur name....but he will say to them..I knew you not..depart from me.....unbelievers can't cast out demons oooo..
Oga alBHAGDADI.....
You seem like a good guy..but your teaching is based on a scenario of all things being equal, christians of nowadays don't even have the solid foundation...the first 3examples of the parable of the sower has manifested in their lives....people are loosing salvation daily..that was almost the lenght and breath of teaching of Paul....he that stand should take heed lest he fall...

The last phrase in verse 2 below shows that they can only not be saved if they believed in vain i.e the preaching given to them didn't hold in their heart or was not successful. Go and look for the meaning of the phrase in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:1-2
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Paul was not talking about salvation when he said standing lest we fall. He was warning against thinking one is too perfect as a Christian, a thing that can lead to falling into temptation.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 9:53am On Jan 06, 2019
Feranmi4christ:

Bro, I don't have time for argument about your post, but this your comment pushed me... What a deep heresy is this! Don't ever tell me the Holy Spirit thought you this, why do you people love to twist the scripture by your canal knowledge to suit your taste? You people love to bring down the standard of God to suit your standard and by that confusing and misleading people.

Revelation 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

I was expecting a robust response.

You just left me hanging. You didn't even prove how I quoted that passage wrongly. Na wah for you o.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by BigBudi(m): 9:54am On Jan 06, 2019
On point OP! As simple as the TRUE GOSPEL is, to those who are PREDESTINED...it's also a HUGE stumbling BLOCK to the damned. The doctrine of one losing his/her Salvation is from the pit of HELL. If you believe you can loose your Salvation then you weren't saved in the first place!

2 Likes

Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by femichill: 9:54am On Jan 06, 2019
I correct 10 vs 12 is clear on this. Let him that thinketh he standeth take heed, lest he fall.
This shows someone can fall and might not rise again. The Bible is also clear that it is better not to be born than taste of the kingdom of God and depart thereof.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 9:57am On Jan 06, 2019
ecstasy357:
You made a lot of sense. As a matter of fact, I think you r correct but the term "once saved is forever saved" is making so many of us live in sin.

We've been asked to work out our salvation with fear n trembling. According to u, to make it desirable by others. Also I think that we ought not to get carried away by d things of this world that we will not b found wanting...hence d fear n trembling in working out.

If we sin, God will chasten us because he loves us. Do you want God to keep spanking you every time? No, that's why we stay away from sin, not because we think sin will prevent us from heaven.

Hebrews 12:6
For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by diadem10: 9:57am On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Exactly.

You have everlasting life the moment you believe in Jesus. If you can lose that everlasting life, then it means it was never everlasting. That means you have called God a liar because you do not believe that the gift he gave is everlasting.

1 John 5:10-11
10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
Heb 10:38 says the Just shall live by faith but if any man draws back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

Revised standard version says the righteous shall live by faith.

What does it mean to be righteous? It's to be sanctified and this sanctification is done by your faith in Christ Jesus. Once you're sanctified, your body becomes numb to your previous sin. Your desire for worldly things becomes quenched without any work from you.

However, if you later draw back by not taking cognizance of the things you indulge in/sinful friends you mingle with, you're already drawing back which you may not know at first until you're sucked back into your previous sin while your sanctified soul gets corrupted (the scripture says bad communication corrupt good manners and also, we should flee from every apperances of evil).

With your heresis, you're depriving people from actualising this complete work of salvation. If you were sanctified, you wouldn't even create this thread to start with.

2 Likes

Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The last phrase in verse 2 below shows that they can only not be saved if they believed in vain i.e the preaching given to them didn't hold in their heart or was not successful. Go and look for the meaning of the phrase in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:1-2
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Paul was not talking about salvation when he said standing lest we fall. He was warning against thinking one is too perfect as a Christian, a thing that can lead to falling into temptation.

What happened to the other part of my comment about Jesus and those he will say" I knew you not". Are u dodging that one??
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by femichill: 10:03am On Jan 06, 2019
Can the op explain 1 Peter 4: 17-19
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:03am On Jan 06, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

You can get verses from this thread --> https://www.nairaland.com/3872423/christian-lose-salvation/6

Stay tuned. cool
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 10:04am On Jan 06, 2019
femichill:
I correct 10 vs 12 is clear on this. Let him that thinketh he standeth take heed, lest he fall.
This shows someone can fall and might not rise again. The Bible is also clear that it is better not to be born than taste of the kingdom of God and depart thereof.
The verse is not talking about falling out if salvation. Or where is salvation written there?

It is simply telling us not to think we are perfect lest we fall into sin. Mocking rapists and thieves because you don't do such is very dangerous. You might end up falling by doing the same. Peter boasted never to deny Jesus. He fell by denying Jesus. Do you now understand?
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by diadem10: 10:05am On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
Does the verse say one can lose his salvation?

All through the Bible, salvation has been all about believe in Jesus. The Pharisees didn't believe in Jesus, so he told them to repent, which is a word that means turn from something to another, in this case turn from Judaism to believe in jesus or else they will perish. But once you believe in Jesus, there is no verse that says you can lose that salvation that gave you eternal life.
Lmao. The apostles also preached of repentance. In fact Paul said he keeps his body under so that he wouldn't be a cast away on the last day even after preaching the gospel to many.

You can't sieve out and take whatever you like in the scripture. The word of God will never change. You can't say you're sanctified and have the Spirit of God in you yet still embroiled in your sins and filthiness. The scripture says by their fruit, we shall know them.

You need to repent first before you can be saved. God would never sanctify filthy body unto himself.

1 Like

Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 10:06am On Jan 06, 2019
BigBudi:
On point OP! As simple as the TRUE GOSPEL is, to those who are PREDESTINED...it's also a HUGE stumbling BLOCK to the damned. The doctrine of one losing his/her Salvation is from the pit of HELL. If you believe you can loose your Salvation then you weren't saved in the first place!
May God bless you brother.

I weep at the number of those who hold that false doctrine. It shows the amount of those going to hell are many.

I weep the more when they reject the true gospel. I blame the false prophets called Daddy GOs who have sold them a false gospel.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by generalpeter: 10:08am On Jan 06, 2019
Mk17:
while I may agree with your point about most of these Pentecostal church, I think you should not be misquoting the Bible to argue against known truth.
the Bible is filled with example of faithful worshipers who lost their footing and become unfaithful.
the Bible made It clear that the one standing should be careful that he do not fall. why is he being careful if he cannot fall? I am very busy today if not I would have discuss this topic with you.
my advice to you is stop searching the scripture looking for verse to twist to suit your ideology because the scripture itself is not what give life but obedience to the creator.
most of your post on nairaland are just unnecessary topic that does not contribute anything to salvation.
just argument.
try making post that are good for building-up a modern day christain
God bless you.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 10:14am On Jan 06, 2019
diadem10:

Heb 10:38 says the Just shall live by faith but if any man draws back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

Revised standard version says the righteous shall live by faith.

What does it mean to be righteous? It's to be sanctified and this sanctification is done by your faith in Christ Jesus. Once you're sanctified, your body becomes numb to your previous sin. Your desire for worldly things becomes quenched without any work from you.

However, if you later draw back by not taking cognizance of the things you indulge in/sinful friends you mingle with, you're already drawing back which you may not know at first until you're sucked back into your previous sin while your sanctified soul gets corrupted (the scripture says bad communication corrupt good manners and also, we should flee from every apperances of evil).

With your heresis, you're depriving people from actualising this complete work of salvation. If you were sanctified, you wouldn't even create this thread to start with.
Had it been tough keep in reading, you would have seen that Paul wasn't talking about losing salvation. The next verse says those that draw back are not drawing back to perdition because they are of those who believe their souls are saved already.

Hebrews 19:38-39
38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

1 Like

Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by fasho01(m): 10:17am On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The below link is compelling enough to the meek and humble who are willing to obey the word of God.

https://www.nairaland.com/4938431/it-not-law-moses-god

Alright. Shalom
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by Nobody: 10:17am On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
He looked back because he didn't believe in the kingdom. It is the same thing as hearing the world of God and rejecting it just as atheists do and just as you are doing now. You have heard the Good News that Christ wants to save you once and for all eternity, yet you rejected it and chose to save yourself by trying not to sin. You have rejected Christ's finished work on the cross and have opted to depend on yourself.
before you quote read ask for spiritual wisdom he accepted the gospel of salvation and in the end went back to the world havent you seen people filled with the holyghost who at the end rejected christ and started living in sin
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 10:18am On Jan 06, 2019
diadem10:

Lmao. The apostles also preached of repentance. In fact Paul said he keeps his body under so that he wouldn't be a cast away on the last day even after preaching the gospel to many.

You can't sieve out and take whatever you like in the scripture. The word of God will never change. You can't say you're sanctified and have the Spirit of God in you yet still embroiled in your sins and filthiness. The scripture says by their fruit, we shall know them.

You need to repent first before you can be saved. God would never sanctify filthy body unto himself.

Repent doesn't mean repent of your sins. Stop inserting sins wherever you see the word repent. Remember God also repented. Does that mean he sinned?

Exodus 32:14
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

When Paul preached repentance to those pagans, he simply told them to repent from paganism and into the worship of the true God. He never spoke of sin.

1 Like

Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 10:19am On Jan 06, 2019
VICOiheaka:
before you quote read ask for spiritual wisdom he accepted the gospel of salvation and in the end went back to the world havent you seen people filled with the holyghost who at the end rejected christ and started living in sin
Mention one of them.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by Nobody: 10:20am On Jan 06, 2019
Feranmi4christ:

22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.p

pls explain your observation
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by diadem10: 10:24am On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Had it been tough keep in reading, you would have seen that Paul wasn't talking about losing salvation. The next verse says those that draw back are not drawing back to perdition because they are of those who believe their souls are saved already.

Hebrews 19:38-39
38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.
We're not of them who draw back unto perdition.

2 things derived from that verse. 1. Some people drew back. 2. The state of perdition, which is the state of eternal damnation and this happens after falling out with the holy Spirit.

It all solidifies the notion one's salvation can be lost. I repeat work of salvation doesn't encomprises repentance. Zachaeus repented first before he was saved.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 10:27am On Jan 06, 2019
femichill:
Can the op explain 1 Peter 4: 17-19

The righteous are saved but not from judgement because their works will be judged. Thats why it says scarcely saved, because regards their soul, it is saved. We are moved from condemnation to life. The unrighteous are the ones who will be condemned regardless of the kind of judgement they face.

1 Peter 4:17-18
17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

John 3:8
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 06, 2019
[quote author=alBHAGDADI post=74495880]

Exactly.

You have everlasting life the moment you believe in Jesus. If you can lose that everlasting life, then it means it was never everlasting. That means you have called God a liar because you do not believe that the gift...... Pls does it mean that if one believes that he is perfect
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 10:30am On Jan 06, 2019
VICOiheaka:
Pls does it mean that if one believes that he is perfect
No man is perfect.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
May God bless you brother.
[s]
I weep at the number of those who hold that false doctrine. It shows the amount of those going to hell are many.

I weep the more when they reject the true gospel. I blame the false prophets called Daddy GOs who have sold them a false gospel[/s].
Weep for your soul undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by mejai(m): 10:54am On Jan 06, 2019
YAWNS!!!! Posts and comments are too long. Even Jesus on his sermon on d mount, his talk wasn't dis long. Moreover, He shared bread, fish and fanta.

Here, no break, no refreshment on top my data kwa.
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by sacx: 10:57am On Jan 06, 2019
As much as the point you are trying to make is correct, I see it as an avenue to bash the Pentecostals and elevate your Baptist faith.

Well, I'm Pentecostal as you would know it, and I also believe in eternal security. The church of Christ is one and there is not Pentecostal, Baptist or Catholic with God. Let's say no to denominationalism.

1 Like

Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by ecstasy357(m): 11:02am On Jan 06, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

If we sin, God will chasten us because he loves us. Do you want God to keep spanking you every time? No, that's why we stay away from sin, not because we think sin will prevent us from heaven.

Hebrews 12:6
For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

Wow! Based on ya teaching, r u saying that as long as we believe in Jesus, we can continue to sin?
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by alBHAGDADI: 11:04am On Jan 06, 2019
ecstasy357:

Wow! Based on ya teaching, r u saying that as long as we believe in Jesus, we can continue to sin?
Yes, that's if you want God to keep spanking you for disobedience.

Hebrews 12:6-7
6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Re: Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation by immantoks: 11:06am On Jan 06, 2019
Ruddyman:
One can lose oga / her salvation that's the simply truth
oga where is your scriptural back up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Swimming In Space By The Gravitational Waves - Mentioned In The Noble Quran / Shocking: 7 Year Old Girl Reveals That Adeboye,t.bjoshua, Oyedepo,oritsejafor,ol / The Many Mistakes Of Apostle Paul's Teachings: Mistake No. 7 Correction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.