Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe (11793 Views)

8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / Reply To TB Joshua's Return Of Tithe. / If You Had A Chance To Live In The Biblical Times; Who Would You Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 4:08pm On Aug 23, 2010
Image123:

Front page? Rubbish.

How does this address what I've asked you?
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 5:21pm On Aug 23, 2010
To all who are pissed or frustrated because this is on the front page, no vex grin

I created this thread out of all sincerity - I do not frequent the Religion section so I dont know what's been flogged to death or not.

All I know is that I saw something that most pastors do not talk about on the pulpit and I decided to bring it on. . .is there anything wrong with that??

I came here to ask a simple question . . is that not what forums like this are for??

I do not care what makes the front page, but it seems that real estate is worth more than a plot on Victoria Island.

By the way, I still have not had one person answer my question

. .or else I wouldve asked a moderator to close the thread since the templars and the classicals are always at war here.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Demainman1: 5:34pm On Aug 23, 2010
If you like pay!! if you like no pay!!! Na u sabi.

As for me I have chosen NOT to pay!! and God is blessing me always and will continue to do so because I and my household belong to him now and forever. AMEN
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by MackDealer: 5:58pm On Aug 23, 2010
kokoye:

To all who are pissed or frustrated because this is on the front page, no vex grin

I created this thread out of all sincerity - I do not frequent the Religion section so I dont know what's been flogged to death or not.

All I know is that I saw something that most pastors do not talk about on the pulpit and I decided to bring it on. . .is there anything wrong with that??

I came here to ask a simple question . . is that not what forums like this are for??

I do not care what makes the front page, but it seems that real estate is worth more than a plot on Victoria Island.

By the way, I still have not had one person answer my question

. .or else I wouldve asked a moderator to close the thread since the templars and the classicals are always at war here.

You are right forums like this is the right place to ask your kinda question and also the front page thing no vex me was just a honest observation(just like your question), the meat of my post was tithe(if you are a christian) is a personal thing, everybody should decide on what works for them.

Somebody just posted he does not pay it and God still bless him why try to convince that person otherwise, and for those who pay and God also bless them why try to convince them to stop.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 6:11pm On Aug 23, 2010
^^^

I did not create the thread to flog those who pay or not.

Yes. Tithe is real. But what do you do with it?

I did my research, saw something in the bible that which most pastors do not talk about.

I did not want to go and meet a pastor about it since it is a source of their livelihood and I may get a biased explanation.

I needed some clarification in case I was missing something - so I created this thread.

End of story.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 6:49pm On Aug 23, 2010
@mackdealer
The issue is not whether tithes works or not[it obviously doesn't work except in the minds of those deluding themselves], the issue is that tithes as it is preached practised and interpreted today is NOT biblical and the doctrine is arrived at after twisting scripture, this is a BIG sin in the sight of God and I believe the church must stand for the truth. Personally I find it very dis-heartening as a christian that the word of my God is being twisted and used to deceive christians into parting with 10% of their income. The truth is that most tithers don't even know they are being deceived and threads like this have helped several christians to com to the knowledge of truth concerning tithes and they have stop giving their money to fraudsters in the false believe they are giving to God. As christians we owe it to our brethen to share the truth with them no matter whose OX is gored.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by mohid(m): 10:35pm On Aug 23, 2010
kokoye:

^^^

I did not create the thread to flog those who pay or not.

Yes. Tithe is real. But what do you do with it?

I did my research, saw something in the bible that which most pastors do not talk about.

I did not want to go and meet a pastor about it since it is a source of their livelihood and I may get a biased explanation.

I needed some clarification in case I was missing something - so I created this thread.

End of story.
Bro don’t u see that's where u missed it.U saw something in the bible and u come on NL to get clarification. Jesus said the Holy Spirit will guide us in all things. No pastor,no prophet is supposed to be the final guide for the new testament believer and definitely not a social networking forum like this. If u need clarification from the scriptures pray to the Holy Spirit and so long as u are redeemed and He lives in you He will gladly guide u to the truth. But then the conditional clause to hear from Him is - u have to be a Son of GOD “cos as many as are led by the Spirit of GOD (not NL) they are the Sons of God”. The words in the Bible are spirit and authored by men inspired by the Holy Spirit and it takes the help of the Holy Spirit its author, to properly discern them. So if u are born-again and the Holy Spirit lives in u go ahead and ask Him to reveal whatever u are not clear about. That’s His purpose on the earth, to give u comfort. Else if u are reading the Bible carnally to get points for arguments on NL, then i hope u watch urself before u cross the line.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 10:55pm On Aug 23, 2010
^^^
Thankfully those of us inspired by the holy spirit including the apostles who wrote the new testament know clearly that tithing is NOT required of true believers.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by omar22(m): 11:17pm On Aug 23, 2010
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by omar22(m): 11:17pm On Aug 23, 2010
up
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by manny4life(m): 11:55pm On Aug 23, 2010
Tithe is tithe, however works best for you, pay it that is if u chose to pay it.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by jovi: 12:34am On Aug 24, 2010
Confetti, That was so insightful, I have also often felt the same way, the times i have infact given tithe, i have always prayed, something like this"God I bring this in thanksgiving for all your blessings may it be for my good and good of all your church"
I am catholic and even thouh it does not matter much as we are all christians and so God's hiers, i think Christians get it wrong when they have the mentality of "I tithe to get more blessings" or so that the floodgates may be opened, That was an excellent write-up, im thinking of saving it!!
What is ur e-mail so i can ask more questions?
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by mrofficial(m): 1:22am On Aug 24, 2010
Poster, Apart from food, there are things you cannot withstand in life that only God can help. You don't know how He works, Do you? He keeps you alive everyday and saves you in times of trouble. Pay your tithe!

Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 1:41am On Aug 24, 2010
KunleOshob:

^^^
Thankfully those of us inspired by the holy spirit including the apostles who wrote the new testament know clearly that tithing is NOT required of true believers.
Bacchus talk. Do you even have an idea?
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by confetti(f): 8:09am On Aug 24, 2010
jovi:

Confetti, That was so insightful, I have also often felt the same way, the times i have in fact given tithe, i have always prayed, something like this"God I bring this in thanksgiving for all your blessings may it be for my good and good of all your church"
I am catholic and even though it does not matter much as we are all Christians and so God's heirs, i think Christians get it wrong when they have the mentality of "I tithe to get more blessings" or so that the floodgates may be opened, That was an excellent write-up, im thinking of saving it!!
What is your e-mail so i can ask more questions?
@ Jovi, thanks for the compliment. My email is niger4christ@yahoo.com
For the arguments here, I do not think the poster was actually looking for issues. He raised a question as he found it in the bible and truly I have never seen that in the bible so I went searching. As educated pple I was thinking we should be able to analyze issues based on facts and figures available to us and not to use sentiment even if we ourselves are pastors. That is the hallmark of education. By biblical standard, Tithe is not mandatory thus not a condition for God's blessings. Pls note that tithe started before the law and thus is not a law thing as we are no longer under it and if we trace it back to Abraham and Jacob, they paid and promised as a result of God's blessing not in seeking it.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Loveaflame(m): 8:48am On Aug 24, 2010
Every one is entitled to his or her opinion about the issue of tithe.Your belief determines where you belong.If you believe tithe is legal according to your understanding of the Bible do by all means pay.

For those who argue that tithe is not right.They should know that we live in a different world today.The best way to pay tithes today is in cash.

Christ never abolished the issue of tithes in the New Testament He only spoke against those who don't follow through with the standard of God and think there tithes will save them.

One thing I will say clearly where many have been led into a great fallacy is that you should not expect God to bless you back with money when you pay your tithe all the time.There are other kinds of blessings like good healthy,victory over foes,protection from evil,fruitfulness,marital peace etc. that He can give to you.

Many have turned this thing into a business venture/investment.God is not a Stock Broker or Forex Trader.Please people should not be deceived by those who over emphasize the 100% money back blessing when they pay tithe.

Let me also sound a clear warning.Paying tithes do not make you rich.If that was so many who pay would have become very rich.But we know better.There are other things involve in making one financially free.Tithe is just a great catalyst.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Enigma(m): 8:55am On Aug 24, 2010
@confetti

When you copy an article from somewhere else (somebody else's work) you should give them acknowledgment by at the least giving the link to the article or better still naming the author and placing the article text in the quote block.

http://www.thebiblepage.org/biblesays/tithing.shtml

The above is the link for the article that you posted on page 3 of this thread.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by omar22(m): 9:13am On Aug 24, 2010
I do give offering and only offering,  am not here to say some are right or wrong! I have read a lot books about wealthy people around the world majority of them don’t pay tithe but they give to the poor in charities, they feed them, cloth them, educate them, Oprah Winfrey opened a school in South Africa, Bill Gates has a lot of charities and so on and God blesses them more and more…. I can’t remember the name of the billionaire that gave half his wealth to charity and it’s been heard that he is making millions at an extra ordinary rate. When you look at the Muslims they give to the poor 2.5% of their wealth to the poor and not to the mosque, ok they also take offering during services. I have watched services on TV where they asked the viewers that to tap into a certain blessing they should sow $1000 seed!!! So it makes you wonder does it mean those who don’t have the capital are not entitle to the same blessing? But when you read Joshua 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but(M) you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success This means its all in your own hands you don’t need anyone to tell you to do this to get this…….
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 9:49am On Aug 24, 2010
mr.official:

Poster, Apart from food, there are things you cannot withstand in life that only God can help. You don't know how He works, Do you? He keeps you alive everyday and saves you in times of trouble. Pay your tithe!

Enough of these moronic posts. The OP has asked questions about a certain passage in deuteronomy. If you want to contribute to this thread please address the OP, this is not about whether you must pay tithes or not.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by confetti(f): 11:13am On Aug 24, 2010
Enigma:

@confetti

When you copy an article from somewhere else (somebody else's work) you should give them acknowledgment by at the least giving the link to the article or better still naming the author and placing the article text in the quote block.

http://www.thebiblepage.org/biblesays/tithing.shtml

The above is the link for the article that you posted on page 3 of this thread.

Obviously Enigma, U didn't read well, I did post the link after the article. please check.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Enigma(m): 11:32am On Aug 24, 2010
^^^^ If the link was originally in your post my apology --- but grudgingly. When writing/work is not your own, it is important to make this clear. You could for example place the link at the beginning and, really, you should be using the quote block.

It seems I wasn't the only one sort of 'misled' because it appears that Jovi too (above) thought you wrote the piece.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:07pm On Aug 24, 2010
Image123:

Bacchus talk. Do you even have an idea?

grin grin grin
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 2:43pm On Aug 24, 2010
mohid:

Bro don’t u see that's where u missed it.U saw something in the bible and u come on NL to get clarification. Jesus said the Holy Spirit will guide us in all things. No pastor,no prophet is supposed to be the final guide for the new testament believer and definitely not a social networking forum like this. If u need clarification from the scriptures pray to the Holy Spirit and so long as u are redeemed and He lives in you He will gladly guide u to the truth. But then the conditional clause to hear from Him is - u have to be a Son of GOD “cos as many as are led by the Spirit of GOD (not NL) they are the Sons of God”. The words in the Bible are spirit and authored by men inspired by the Holy Spirit and it takes the help of the Holy Spirit its author, to properly discern them. So if u are born-again and the Holy Spirit lives in u go ahead and ask Him to reveal whatever u are not clear about. That’s His purpose on the earth, to give u comfort. Else if u are reading the Bible carnally to get points for arguments on NL, then i hope u watch urself before u cross the line.

OK. let us be honest here. I know what I read and I know what it means. I opened the thread solely for the purpose of those who might have not seen it and have a decent conversation about it. 

Abi, dont we all go for bible study?? I am not going to claim that I know all (like some people). I am open to corrections and recommendation.

Lastly, I do not come here for arguments, I believe these are matured minds and we should be able to resolve our differences. And I will not apologise for arguments I did not start.

I put this out there because I am sure some people do not know about those verses - I did not know about it until a few weeks ago myself.

God help us all.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by tommyt(m): 2:57pm On Aug 24, 2010
@confetti
you too much jo, i dont care if you copy it or not form somewhere, but the most
important thing is that your post make alot of sense,
i think this is the kind of post Kokoye want when he created this thread
not all this unnecessary argument
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 3:26pm On Aug 24, 2010
^
While i do not agree with what confetti posted, i've referred to it because it 'answers' kokoy's question/OP. But as it is clear, he is yet to read the post. He's still sin.searly looking for anybody to address his questions. These bunch are just Never learning.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 3:37pm On Aug 24, 2010
Image123:

^
While i do not agree with what confetti posted, i've referred to it because it 'answers' kokoy's question/OP. But as it is clear, he is yet to read the post. He's still sin.searly looking for anybody to address his questions. These bunch are just Never learning.

Answer me naaa, oga, which of the numerous tithes do you collect in your church.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 4:34pm On Aug 24, 2010
Image123:

^

That was funny.  cheesy

Confetti,  I am sorry I skipped your post earlier because of the lenght of it. I just had time to go over it now.  May the Lord reward you in ways that you desire. Amen.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 4:38pm On Aug 24, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Answer me naaa, oga, which of the numerous tithes do you collect in your church.
You are emboldening your hypocrisy, be wise.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 4:54pm On Aug 24, 2010
Image123:

You are emboldening your hypocrisy, be wise.

. . . in other words you are not going to answer. no wahala. Let the records show . . . .
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 5:12pm On Aug 24, 2010
Let the records show what exactly?
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 5:13pm On Aug 24, 2010
Image123:

Let the records show what exactly?
That you've failed to answer.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 5:32pm On Aug 24, 2010
^^^
@pastorAIO
I can tell you authuritatively that the type of tithes image123 collects in his church is found nowwhere in the bible. The type he collects is the one instituted by the mamon god and it's collection started when mamon invaded the church in the 19th century long after the bible had been compiled.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Excerpt: The Sword Of Solomon By F.w. Boreham / Pastor Adeboye Donate Relief Items To Flood Victims / Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.