Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,166 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe (11796 Views)

8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / Reply To TB Joshua's Return Of Tithe. / If You Had A Chance To Live In The Biblical Times; Who Would You Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 10:43am On Aug 27, 2010
Pastor AIO:

I'm sick of this lame excuse.  Did Bernard Madoff force anybody to invest in his scheme?  Yet he is still in prison, rightly.  Why are the other scammers not with him.  

PASTORAIO,
urs is a classical example of Agent of evil disguised as angel of light, pastor indeed.
Y'all lyin that Jesus neva talked bout Tithe, or that pple shud do it.
Beta study to show urself approved b4 comin here to spew garbage i order to pollute pples mind.
Wats ma business with Madoff? Did he ask for ma tithe or anybody's?
He said to invest in a scheme. . which was a scam.
Except u sayin tithe is a scam, and Jesus askin us to continue tithing is promoting scam.
U dont seem to know the implication of ur commentaries o the matter.
Bringin stu.pid analogies to discredit the bible,Tithe,Pastors, and Jesus will take u no where. .

Simple mata, i'l keep poundin it, not for u to hear but for innocent pple who are seekin truth;
Tithe is not A LAW or an act under the LAW.
Tithe is not Old testament issue.
Jesus says to CONTINUE to tithe even in new testament.
If Jesus says to do sth, is it wrong to ask pple to do it?
And dont come back with the lame. ."it's the way they go about it" and wat they do with it.
10% percent and u havin high BP, if u now sell ur land and houses wat will happen?. . .lol

Oga PASTOR, Take ur eyes off "pastors", . when u give to anybody in response to an instruction from God,
it is God u have the transaction with, not with man. u wil get rid of the poison in ur heart if
u do that rather than kill urself over private jet, of good lookin structures.
Keep ur side of it, and believe God to do wat he says He'l do.

If u cant do any of it, get out of church, there are hundreds of religion out there, go pick one.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 10:54am On Aug 27, 2010
Alwaystrue:

@DBR,
Tithing should not even be something we should argue about. There are lots of things in Christianity that we might not understand because we understand in parts and from time to time it dawns on us as we read the word of God.
Giving is key in Christianity no matter how we look at it and whichever form.

In the time of Paul, they sold their lands and houses and brought to the apostles feet and this importance cannot even be over-empasized when we look at the story of Ananais and Saphira and what befell them because of giving.
Giving 10% then should not be an issue if that is what the church requests. That is why we should go to bible-believing churches.
Let us all live our lives at the instance of the Holy Spirit. Then we will realise most of what we do, argue about are even all mundane.
May God help us all.
Cheers.

The Just shall live by faith.

I've said that much, but they are hard of hearing. .well because they have a different agenda rather than learning.
They keep goin in circles wit shiftin the base of discussion . . if i can still call it that.
I can imagine if t'was in a nigerian church that the Ananias saga happend. . .
They'l tell u y the pastor doent care bout the poor and he's evil and wicked to have
allowed death on some1 who volunteered to sell his PERSONAL property.

Thanks, Always true.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 11:07am On Aug 27, 2010
DBR:

PASTORAIO,
urs is a classical example of Agent of evil disguised as angel of light, pastor indeed.
Beta study to show urself approved b4 comin here to spew garbage i order to pollute pples mind.
Except u sayin tithe is a scam,

Bingo!! I'm saying that the tithe you're collecting in your church, and the one that that Image123 cannot specify exactly which one he is collecting, is a SCAM.
Why does this seem like such a sudden revelation to you? You can't be that dim-witted. That is what I and others have been saying since.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Alwaystrue(f): 11:16am On Aug 27, 2010
@Pastor AIO,
From the way you have read DBR's comment I can just imagine how you read your bible. You are yet to comment on the rest of the sentence:
'Except u sayin tithe is a scam,, '
No wonder the bible says the letter killeth.

You know, I see you and lots of posters here as people that have bottled up a lot of bitterness and anger against Pastors in general. It slowly buolds poison and venom in them.
You do not pay tithe yet you have this level of bitterness against those that pay? Do you even give offering at all?
Kai! Na wa o!
I think I understand you better. You see giving in church as giving to Pastors and not God. May be you should renew your mind.
Get a life, brother, an move on.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 11:36am On Aug 27, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Bingo!! I'm saying that the tithe you're collecting in your church, and the one that that Image123 cannot specify exactly which one he is collecting, is a SCAM.
Why does this seem like such a sudden revelation to you? You can't be that dim-witted. That is what I and others have been saying since.

LOL. . What a clown. . it's not only bingo, it's scubbydoo!
Tryin to distort e'rthin to fit ur disturbed bitter mind. . .i feel so sorry for u.
The ony sudden revelation is that u are here to show how asinine u can be.
It cant be that u r dumb by default, i guess u gettin a kick from being a mental slowpoke.

Ok, it's a scam, go n call the police. . Navy, airforce. .army. . Waeva make u sleep well at night.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Alwaystrue(f): 11:46am On Aug 27, 2010
Guys,
Take it easy. shocked
DBR, AIO and all, we do not need to go to this level.
We have different view points and as such this should not lead to hurling insults at each other.
Our having divergent views should not lead to mudslinging.
Peace,
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2010
Alwaystrue:

Guys,
Take it easy. shocked
We have different view points and as such this should not lead to hurling insults at each other.
Peace,

OUR? Dont be decieived, these dudes arent Christians.
U think he's sayin all the trash he's sayin becos he has a divergent view?
Forget the PASTOR before the AIO. Cos if this character
actually pastors a church the body of christ is in trouble.
Mudslinging? He's d one mudslingin'
im just slingin' mud at mud,which is not too bad an idea,
it's simply puttin it where it belongs . . his likes polute the system
they are not needed or shud be left to thrive.
I'l go at anybody who has the effrontery to mudsling jesus or the bible witout battin an eyelid.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 1:31pm On Aug 27, 2010
Alwaystrue:

Guys,
Take it easy. shocked
Peace,

Mister man, I have not insulted anybody.  Not yet.  Far from it, I actually defended his intelligence by insisting that he[b] cannot[/b] be as dim-witted as he is trying so hard to portray himself. 

DBR (taking the baton from Image123) came in here throwing insults left right and center.  It seems that throwing insults about is something that they learn in penterascal churches as they all seem to do it. 

DBR said this:
Quote from: DBR on Today at 09:07:34 AM
And if all pastors have it, how is it your business, did they force u to pay for it??
Or is it YOUR tithe that they used in buyin it, right?. .oh, u dont even pay it, so wat is your problem?

We are talking about fraud and this guy brings in the argument that no one is being forced.  Even using the silly image of being forced at gun-point to the groin.   shocked

What has gun-point got to do with fraud?  Bernard Madoff was a criminal, he didn't force anybody at gunpoint.  Surely any 10 year old can see the parallels.  When you know how to deceive you don't need a gun.  You just need a sweet mouth and the ability to twist words. 
But it still leaves you a criminal.  DBR, if he preaches the necessity of tithing, is a criminal.  Image123 is a scammer and a criminal.  That's all.

Now to address the other allegations:
Alwaystrue:

@Pastor AIO,
From the way you have read DBR's comment I can just imagine how you read your bible. You are yet to comment on the rest of the sentence:
'Except u sayin tithe is a scam,, '
No wonder the bible says the letter killeth.

No sir, you cannot even imagine how I read my bible.  Since it is the fact that I singled out a phrase for comment that is doing you, let me address the rest of the post. 
ASTORAIO,
Except u sayin tithe is a scam, and Jesus askin us to continue tithing is promoting scam.
U dont seem to know the implication of your commentaries o the matter.
Bringin stu.pid analogies to discredit the bible,Tithe,Pastors, and Jesus will take u no where. .

I never said anything about Jesus talking about tithe, and no one else here lied that Jesus never spoke about tithe.  We all know that he talked about tithed when he was addressing the pharisees who would tithe meticulously yet forget about more important issues.  This matter has been talked about time and time again.  Jesus was addressing pharisees who were followers of Mosiac law.  It is impossible for you not to have come across this matter in all the numerous tithing thread that there are on nairaland.  Perhaps you missed it.  Yet if someone starts another tithe thread you will complain that it has been flogged to death despite missing half the things that have been said previously. 

now ain't that disingenuous!!  He is trying to say that he doesn't get the analogy.  Yet he'll be upset if you say that he must be witless.

U dont seem to know the implication of your commentaries o the matter.
Bringin stu.pid analogies to discredit the bible,Tithe,Pastors, and Jesus will take u no where

Tithing as instructed to the Jews in the bible is not a scam, far from it, but a solid religious principle.  Tithing as taught to penterascals by penterascal rogues of preachers is a scam.  Do you get the difference?  There are no parallels, no similarities, no connection between the biblical tithe and the penterascal tithe. 
His argument is like saying that because there are proper financial schemes that one can invest in then that makes Madoff's ponzi scheme legitimate too. 

This whole thread started with someone asking what the connection was between the penterascal tithe and the tithe in deuteronomy.  Thus far, no one has answered that question from the penterascal viewpoint. 
DBR is a liar, an evil distorter of truth and someone who either can't or won't follow a simple argument.  An idio.t even.  Either an idio.t on account of not being able to understand the bible, or an idio't on account of understanding it but thinking he is clever enough to twist it and get away with it as if God is not watching.  The second makes him an even bigger ideiot.   imagine lumping his churches tithes and pastors together in one sentence with Jesus and the bible.
DBR:

Ok, it's a scam, go n call the police. . Navy, airforce. .army. . Waeva make u sleep well at night.

oNe
Can you imagine this?!! And finally he confesses that he is a scammer and challenges me to do whatever I can do about it. It's not me that is going to deal with you. It is God. You just enjoy your scam while it lasts.

Alwaystrue:

Guys,
Take it easy. shocked
Peace,

This is more than a matter of viewpoint.  There is nothing in common between the likes of DBR and myself. 
DBR:

OUR? Dont be decieived, these dudes arent Christians.

Yeah, keep the word christian.  I dash you.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Zikkyy(m): 1:42pm On Aug 27, 2010
@Pastor AIO, you don try. i have given up further discussion with the guy to avoid more insults.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Tonyet1(m): 2:04pm On Aug 27, 2010
see gbegee. . .shebi i dey tell una se one day una go jam una match grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin ROTFLMLO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMIO    grin grin grin grin

Excerpts:

DBR:

I feel your pain, seriously, i do.But dont do wat u r accusing pastors of, twisting the bible.

DBR:

@kunleOshob, am i discussin withbunch of juves here?

DBR:

@KunleOshob

As if poverty is next to Godliness. . all these talks is y'all just actiing pious.

Image123:

OH BOY E!
I don't think mostof the phobics go to church, they sound more like rosicrucians or the like to me, out here to deceive the gullible.
P.S, stop adding lol to your posts, they're not finding it funny at all.

DBR:

@KunleOshob

otherwiseu just throwin cheap tantrums,

grin grin grin God my belle won blow for laughter. DBR these fake dudes will frustrate you. . .they wont give up their dumbness.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:13pm On Aug 27, 2010
Tonye-t:

see gbegee. . .una go talk nonsense so tee una see una match. . .na una don de give up grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin ROTFLMLO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMIO grin grin grin grin

He who fights and runs away . . .

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB5WD03-zRk?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/flash]
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Tonyet1(m): 2:23pm On Aug 27, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

He who fights and runs away . . .

. . .will still run away another day. . .and another day. . .and another day! gooosh Bro stop my ribs are aching already! grin grin grin grin Thanks for that vid. grin grin grin grin grin Zikkyy shebi u don hear am? grin grin grin
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 3:23pm On Aug 27, 2010
*siddon look*
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by tommyt(m): 3:51pm On Aug 27, 2010
kokoye:

*siddon look*
Na real siddon look o

@Pastor DPR and Alwaystrue
i think you guys need to go back to first page on this and read Kokoye question
and stop populating this tread unnecessarily so that other people can read
and also contribute meaningfully cos you guys are gradually turning it into Fuji house of commotion now
if you guys can go back and read your post, you guys will agree with me that they are no more making sense
you will say one thing in thread one and counter it in the next thread habaa
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:53pm On Aug 27, 2010
Tonye-t:

. . .will still run away another day. . .and another day. . .and another day! gooosh Bro stop my ribs are aching already! grin grin grin grin Thanks for that vid. grin grin grin grin grin Zikkyy shebi u don hear am? grin grin grin

Yes you are right.  He who fights and runs away lives to run another day! cheesy
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Alwaystrue(f): 4:32pm On Aug 27, 2010
Going through most of these threads on tithe, I have come to realise these threads are started by people who do not tithe or plan to but they set up the threads as bait for 'tithers' and 'anti-tithers' to knock themselves out on what is right or wrong. angry
Its a real shame and will advise those who do not know what the brain behind these threads are hoping to achieve not to bother answering these questions.
Let the 'anti-tithers' (as coined from the threads) knock themselves out, they will tend to get bored when they see no one contradicting them and as such the thread dies a natural death. cool
Peace out!
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by debosky(m): 4:37pm On Aug 27, 2010
I have some thoughts to share on Jesus' purported approval of tithes.

1. Jesus would definitely NOT condemn the tithing of the old testament as practised by the Pharisees, because it was given unto the Jews as a law/command/instruction to follow, with detailed description.

2. If Jesus meant for Christians to tithe, as described in the OT why didn't he give instructions on this? He gave detailed instructions on giving - doing good to your neighbour, giving in humility, the widow's mite, etc. If tithing is a 'requirement' in any form, why were there no teachings on this? Instead Jesus talked about sowing and reaping, and didn't mention a single one of the various 'offering' types that were in the OT.

3. Since the Levitical priesthood has now been superseded by Jesus' priesthood, what instructions are we given (in the bible) for who should 'receive' tithes in the form preached today? Please note that we are ALL priests now, not just the 'pastors'.

4. The gentiles would have little or no knowledge about the Jewish 'tithing system' so why didn't Paul or any of the other NT apostles lay down instructions on tithing if it was a practice for Christians to follow? They talked extensively about providing for ministers, about giving cheerfully among others, but NEVER once even mentioned tithes in reference to these items.

5. For those saying we should indeed tithe, which of the various tithes do you subscribe to? The first or the second tithe? How did you make this decision on which to adhere to? Is the first tithe more important than the second one or vice versa? How was this decision made?

6. Giving to God's work, be it 1% or 10% WILL receive a reward - that is what the principle of sowing and reaping teaches us. In that sense, I have no issues with people giving whatever percentage of their income to the church or to others they deem deserving. What I object to, is when the matter is taught as a necessity - it clearly is not.

7. I do not object to teaching of tithing as a guide for giving, but it must never be construed as God's mandatory instruction to Christians.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 4:44pm On Aug 27, 2010
Alwaystrue:

Going through most of these threads on tithe, I[b] have come to realise these threads are started by people who do not tithe or plan to but they set up the threads as bait for 'tithers' and 'anti-tithers' to knock themselves out [/b] on what is right or wrong. angry
Its a real shame and will advise those who do not know what the brain behind these threads are hoping to achieve not to bother answering these questions.
Let the 'anti-tithers' (as coined from the threads) knock themselves out, they will tend to get bored when they see no one contradicting them and as such the thread dies a natural death. cool
Peace out!

I do not want to call you silly. But please read my posts over and see my point of creating this thread - maybe you might get it. It is in simple english.

If you want to know, I do more than pay tithe - I contribute generously to the church (both home and abroad!)  . . but most of all, I am a cheerful giver and also always willing to help out my fellow men as Jesus adviced. I do not need to go into details since you still may not  get it.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Alwaystrue(f): 5:02pm On Aug 27, 2010
@kokoye/OP,
Really? You can go ahead and call me what you like. At least your true colors will start unfolding.
If you are truly a cheerful giver, why make the comments you made in previous pages and/or bring such question to this kind of forum? Since you pay 'more than tithes' and contribute to the church both home and abroad why then are you having issues with 10% of earnings?
Your obvious seeking for advice from nairaland shows who you intend to take instruction from then.
Let the Holy Spirit give you understanding through the word.
Anyway, keep up the good work of giving.
And like I said in my previous post, you have gotten your answer(s).
Cheers.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 5:08pm On Aug 27, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Mister man, I have not insulted anybody.  Not yet.  Far from it, I actually defended his intelligence by insisting that he[b] cannot[/b] be as dim-witted as he is trying so hard to portray himself.  DBR (taking the baton from Image123) came in here throwing insults left right and center.  It seems that throwing insults about is something that they learn in penterascal churches as they all seem to do it. 

Oh really? u havnt, some pages away even b4 i joined u already called sm1's post MOR.ONIC.
I guss that's compliment in your own twisted mind, right?
tryin to be pure is too late, we've seen u in action already. . and u must think pple on dis thread are silly and
cant decipher wat u meant by your statement. . .defendin my intelligence indeed. U shud yry to be intelligent
and stop botherin' urself defendin mine.
Callin pple Pentirascal, rogues, scam fraud, is compliment, wonder where u learnt urs.
U got just a tinny winny bit of wat u did to others and u weepin? hehehe, lol

We are talking about fraud and this guy brings in the argument that no one is being forced.  Even using the silly image of being forced at gun-point to the groin.   shocked
No, we are not talkin bout fraud, we talkin bout TITHE, is u and your cohort that said tithe is a scam, a fraud. .fraud wasnt the topic.
And yes, i said groin, so what?? Holier than thou. It wuldda been better if u were even a bit knowledgable wit the attitude.
GROIN mean: the area between the abdomen and the thigh on eit[b]her side of the body.

also the region of the focal places.
Pls where did the silly image come in?. . .oh, the focal place part. .U have a problem with that? sorwwwyy, lol.

This is what your partner said:
@DBR
New testament believers are not required to pay tithe in any form. Tithing is not part of the christian faith taught by christ and handed down to us by the apostles. [/b]Titheing was first smuggled into the church in the year 585 AD well over 500 years after christianity was established. I suggest you do some independent research of this false doctrine devoid of your church leadership who would obviously be biased.

Now that is a major, and ma latter part of the talk has rested on that.
Cos if u say Jesus neva taught Tithe, that it was smuggled into the church. .
that means it's a fraud and a scam truly, but if Jesus did talk bout it,
then it mean u accusin him as being the main protagonist CEO of the scam empire. .the criminal organisation as y'all called it.
Then i showed u scriptures that shows Jesus not only mentioned it but told pple to continue with it.
So wat does that make of your blind argument? Obviously u kno nothin bout wat u defendin'.
But of course u changed tune with:
I never said anything about Jesus talking about tithe, and no one else here lied that Jesus never spoke about tithe.  We all know that he talked about tithed when he was addressing the pharisees. . . . 
Arnt u appalled by the stench of your memory degeneration?

Tithing as instructed to the Jews in the bible is not a scam, far from it, but a solid religious principle.  Tithing as taught to penterascals by penterascal rogues of preachers is a scam.  Do you get the difference?  There are no parallels, no similarities, no connection between the biblical tithe and the penterascal tithe.
Blah blah blah. . .pentirascal, pentirascal rogues. . scam. Dude u are eaten up.
Ok, lemme even ask which do u belong to since i notice now that it's penticostal u renamin'?

This whole thread started with someone asking what the connection was between the penterascal tithe and the tithe in deuteronomy.  Thus far, no one has answered that question from the penterascal viewpoin
if u paid any dot of attention, u'l see the question has been aswered siiiiiiiince. Even the poster thanked CONFFETTI,
and ple hav refered u to it, but because u hav a different agenda and u keep shiftin issues. . from private jet, to edifices, to burnt offerin' to Madoff
sure u missed it.

DBR is a liar, an evil distorter of truth and someone who either can't or won't follow a simple argument.  An idio.t even.  Either an idio.t on account of not being able to understand the bible, or an idio't on account of understanding it but thinking he is clever enough to twist it and get away with it as if God is not watching.  The second makes him an even bigger ideiot
Bravo. . .go on,but pls show the house the LIE i'v told, truth i'v distorted.
U are only good at labellin' as if that will make u sound smart, sorrrwyyy. . .no luck. U still shootin blanks.

imagine lumping his churches tithes and pastors together in one sentence with Jesus and the bible.Can you imagine this?!! 
your ignorance will amaze even an autistic retard, really.
Lemme help u; JESUS who is the head of the CHURCH where PASTORS recieved gift to oversee talked bout TITHE in the BIBLE.
U see how it sits well?
It's your attempt and piety that makes u think its an ecclesiastical sacrilege to mention them in a line.They all scriptural words.
Now if u hav a problem understandin this little stuff it xplain your mentally handicap nature of comprehendin deeper stuff.

And finally he confesses that he is a scammer and challenges me to do whatever I can do about it.  It's not me that is going to deal with you.  It is God.  You just enjoy your scam while it lasts. 

Later u'l tell be bout 10yrs old ability to understand?
Im sure u'l do well as a sit down comedian, cos u aint even a stand up kinda guy.
Y r u like this? y d'yu delight in reasonin like a retard?

This is more than a matter of viewpoint.  There is nothing in common between the likes of DBR and myself. 
Yeah, keep the word christian.  I dash you.
Shuuush, i said that b4 pls dont echoe me in an attempt to sound smart.
And yea, i keep the christian tag, u too keep your Pastor labell.
If i left out any of your quote it's either the'v been anwered, or they plain dumb.
And b4 u get xcited it's not that these ones i responded too had any spark of brilliance in them
b4 u start thinkin u not so ignorant afterall. .
Now jump on your keypad and start your pentirascal . .rogue , scam. .
Go ahead knock urself out.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 5:23pm On Aug 27, 2010
Alwaystrue:

@kokoye/OP,
Really? You can go ahead and call me what you like. At least your true colors will start unfolding.
If you are truly a cheerful giver, why make the comments you made in previous pages and/or bring such question to this kind of forum? Since you pay 'more than tithes' and contribute to the church both home and abroad why then are you having issues with 10% of earnings?
Your obvious seeking for advice from nairaland shows who you intend to take instruction from then.
Let the Holy Spirit give you understanding through the word.
Anyway, keep up the good work of giving.
And like I said in my previous post, you have gotten your answer(s).
Cheers.

and I wonder how you know my true colors.

Again in simeple english:

I saw something in the bible which I'd not heard from most pastors or anyone for that matter (even confetti said she's not seen it before I brought it up on here). I created this thread to bring awareness to it so we could have a decent conversation about it - so it is not my fault people are arguing over it. Is that not what bible studies in church are for . .so what is the problem if I brought it up here??

As for having an issue with a mere 10%, I do not as I do much more than that. I just believe in the truth and nothing but the truth. My Jesus said I should be a good samaritan when I can and also be a cheerful giver at it.

I am not going to pay 10% just to please you or any other mere mortal - It must mean something to me.

I will not do something just because my pastor says to do it - I must have a bible backing and also a personal conviction to do it.

God gave me his words, common sense, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit so I will use all these things to my benefit. I am also a prophet myself.

Even though I have the Holy Spirit in me, does that mean I cannot bring up a topic (that most people are turly not aware of) to the prescence of my fellow men just because it may ruffle a few feathers??

Why do you go to bible study or to church (if you do) . .since you have the holy spirit in you according to your comment?

You also said I have gotten my answers, so did you not notice I have kept quiet all along  . .until you decided to accuse me wrongly??

God gave us all common sense . . but my people still perish due to lack of knowledge.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Alwaystrue(f): 5:29pm On Aug 27, 2010
@kokoye,
the issue of tithing on NL is like a sore-thumb on a baby. However, if I misunderstood you, I apologise.
Trying to get answers from NL on biblical issues is not adviceable as the thread is open to believers and unbelievers alike.
Going through previous topics on tithe and others on chritianity generally is enough to prove that.
However, you are satisfied with Confetti's response so its ok.
Cheers.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by PastorAIO: 5:31pm On Aug 27, 2010
menhhhh, I tire for this thread o! I don't think since KAG anybody on this forum has left me so incredulous about how they minds must be wired.

I take my bow and exit.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by kokoye(m): 5:49pm On Aug 27, 2010
Alwaystrue:

@kokoye,
the issue of tithing on NL is like a sore-thumb on a baby. However, if I misunderstood you, I apologise.
Trying to get answers from NL on biblical issues is not adviceable as the thread is open to believers and unbelievers alike.
Going through previous topics on tithe and others on chritianity generally is enough to prove that.
However, you are satisfied with Confetti's response so its ok.
Cheers.

In this case I did not come here to get an answer from NL - I created the thread to bring awareness to the Deuteronomy passage. But all the same, it is good to observe peoples' reviews and comments - it gives you an idea of how diverse and broad our thinking is.

The fact that people give suggestions (however smart of silly they seem) does not mean I will agree with all of them. It is left to me to make my own deductions.

If I think I need a medical attention, I go to google and do my research from multiple sources - so i have an idea of what could be wrong and how it should be handled. Armed with such information, my doctor cannot give me hogwash (you'd be surprised at home many people the doctors have killed). A doctor once prescribed some medication for me - this stuff was killing my sexual drive!!

A lot of people gave gotten jobs, houses, contracts and dates on Nairaland. And yet some people still condemn bringing your issues to this forum 

This is one of the benefits of the Internet and we should be able to use it to the fullest. I dont know where you are but at least we can rub minds, share experiences and become better for it.

It is all good my brother, thanks and have a blessed weekend.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Zikkyy(m): 5:56pm On Aug 27, 2010
Tonye-t:

Omo, i don commot hand for the matter here. I no ready lose my sanity here abeg.

Pastor AIO:

menhhhh, I tire for this thread o! I don't think since KAG anybody on this forum has left me so incredulous about how they minds must be wired.

I take my bow and exit.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

E be like the guy get axe to grind with some of you guys. The guy go don dey watch una for some time now. Maybe na accumulated bile. Am not sure he's even interested in the topic.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:03pm On Aug 27, 2010
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 6:08pm On Aug 27, 2010
@debosky
This is ma response to ur tots if u dont mind.
1. Jesus would definitely NOT condemn the tithing of the old testament as practised by the Pharisees, because it was given unto the Jews as a law/command/instruction to follow, with detailed description.

Tithe came b4 the law, so not canceling it aint cos it was given to jews as LAW.

2. If Jesus meant for Christians to tithe, as described in the OT why didn't he give instructions on this? He gave detailed instructions on giving - doing good to your neighbour, giving in humility, the widow's mite, etc. If tithing is a 'requirement' in any form, why were there no teachings on this? Instead Jesus talked about sowing and reaping, and didn't mention a single one of the various 'offering' types that were in the OT.

Simply becos they were already doin it well enuff. .but they were lackin in the "doing good to your neighbour, giving in humility. . "
Jesus wudnt consent to it if He didnt want them to do it will he?
Refer to Sabbath day issue. Even tho t'was the Jewish thingy He told then sabbath is made for man not man for the sabbath.
Plus there were other things Jesus just mentioned witout neccesarily doin an exegesis on it, u know that, dont'ya?

3. Since the Levitical priesthood has now been superseded by Jesus' priesthood, what instructions are we given (in the bible) for who should 'receive' tithes in the form preached today? Please note that we are ALL priests now, not just the 'pastors'.
And that priesthood is the Melchizedeks' priesthood. And Abraham paid tithe to Melchiz tho he aint Levitical.

4. The gentiles would have little or no knowledge about the Jewish 'tithing system' so why didn't Paul or any of the other NT apostles lay down instructions on tithing if it was a practice for Christians to follow? They talked extensively about providing for ministers, about giving cheerfully among others, but NEVER once even mentioned tithes in reference to these items.
There are references to it. Becos it is a worship to God, God said it's His, it is acknowledgin He owns e'rthin'.
That has not changed. He still owns e'rthin. .
In 1st Corinthians 9:14 it says: those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel "even so" as the priests of the Old Testament lived from their temple service.
And part of how they live is that God gave the tithe to them
(Numbers 18:21).
That's my take on it.

5. For those saying we should indeed tithe, which of the various tithes do you subscribe to? The first or the second tithe? How did you make this decision on which to adhere to? Is the first tithe more important than the second one or vice versa? How was this decision made?
I know i dont do the general gatherin to eat kinda tithe I pay my tithe. . which is ma reasonable service and let the church decide how they want tp appropriate it.

6. Giving to God's work, be it 1% or 10% WILL receive a reward - that is what the principle of sowing and reaping teaches us. In that sense, I have no issues with people giving whatever percentage of their income to the church or to others they deem deserving. What I object to, is when the matter is taught as a necessity - it clearly is not
Yea u can give wateva u wanna give to support a ministry, the poor, or sowin n reapin'. But im sure as givin alms is different from supportin the ministry avtivities so is tithe. As we have different kinds of prayers so also we hav different types of givin'.

7. I do not object to teaching of tithing as a guide for giving, but it must never be construed as God's mandatory instruction to Christians.
Neither do i, and i'v said it over and over, it aint a LAW, it aint by force. Just like it's ot a LAW to pray or fast, or speak i tongues ad othet things.
Lemme quote ma P again, as NTS u r in relationship with Jesus, u have the bible, waeva u wanna do, by all means do, but u will be help accountable for waeva decisions u make.
Im out.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Enigma(m): 6:15pm On Aug 27, 2010
The scammers will not win in the long run! Yes, at the moment the tithe fraudsters are still fooling many people (for a lot of reasons including the mugs' own greed, aspiration, desire, misguidedness etc). Nevertheless, inroad is being made into the tithe fraud and more and more people are now looking again and asking questions.

We who are challenging the tithe fraudsters should be ready for the long game.

Here is the challenge that has been dodged all the way through this thread; according to the passage below, why can the "tither" not eat/enjoy/jollify with the tithe himself instead of taking it into "church"?

Deuteronomy 14:22, 23

"You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year. "And you shall eat before the LORD your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always.

EDIT for emphasis: the passage says "You shall eat the tithe!
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 6:39pm On Aug 27, 2010
By all means, eat ur tithe. becos of this:
"You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year. "And you shall eat before the LORD your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always.

And by all means read this too.
Cos if u eat EVERYTHIN witout noting as xplained there are different kinda tithes i dont know how the below will happen:

KJV: Numbers 18:21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance,
for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.

New International Version:
"I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting.

Is right there, y any1 will chose to categorize it as scam, fraud of pentirascal is hillarious, like it's not staring at e'rbody in the passage
of the scriptures.
And i ain t even a pastor.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Enigma(m): 7:15pm On Aug 27, 2010
Now Deuteronomy 14 continues in verse 24

24“Now when the Lord  your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. 27And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.
(NLT)

God commanded

1. Sell the "tithe"
2. Use the "tithe" money to buy any kind of food you want
3. YOU and your household should feast on the food that you buy with the tithe money
4. Share this feast with Levites (another time, also widows, orphans, strangers etc)

Can a tither of today do the above instead of taking "tithes" into "church"?
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Image123(m): 8:15pm On Aug 27, 2010
DBR, i covet your 'thuggery', what's the secret, hehehehe. Talk about putting the aliens to flight.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 9:52pm On Aug 27, 2010
24“Now when the Lord  your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. 27And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.

4. Share this feast with Levites (another time, also widows, orphans, strangers etc)

So u sayin the verse suggest just givin then some part of it. Which is right.
Now, Y'all be askin i do d xplanation. . which i'v been doin.
Now table turn, if u just sharing wit 'em  pls xplain wat this verse means:

Numbers 18:21 
"And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance,
for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation."

"I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting.

Good luck to u on re definin' wat ALL means.
Im done.

oNe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Can A Christian Be Truly POSSESSED By An Evil Spirit? What The Bible Truly Says / Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts / How to Give your Gifts to God as recommended by Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.