Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,070 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? (13822 Views)

How You Can Raise Up To N25 Million For Your Business B4 Christmas / How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? / Seyi Tinubu: ‘You Have Achieved Once You Are Able To Start A Business' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by mop4: 5:40pm On Feb 11, 2019
I invested in crypto especially bitcoin in the space of 6 months.... I ended up getting more than enuf
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Saltoflife: 5:41pm On Feb 11, 2019
This was treated by a NL

https://www.nairaland.com/5008629/business-startups-zero-capital

Get your answers there.
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by adedehinbo(m): 5:53pm On Feb 11, 2019
I opened a gt target account with gtb,had an agreement that whenever I receive salary 25k should be deducted from my main salary account to the gt target account for one year,that was how I could save to start a poultry business
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by amstardi: 5:56pm On Feb 11, 2019
BANKS DONT GIVE OUT LOANS AGAIN?
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by asunmoGGMU(m): 6:06pm On Feb 11, 2019
Smartjob1:
First, I did some manual jobs for 8months living with my mother. I saved 90% of the money during the period to buy a laptop and modem. Then I taught myself how to run econometric and data analysis using eviews, spss, sata12 and minitab using youtube (still doing menial jobs by the side). Once I am good with what that, I started contacting people in different schools, online, etc to let them know I can run their analysis (it is a must for all social and management students - Bsc, Msc and PhD) to use in doing their projects (Chapters 3, 4, 5). I told them I would do it for free for them for the first time. Few responded after months of trying my luck. Fortunately, those who responded got straight As from it and then - boom! The referrals skyrocketed. I started handling analysis from a Bsc to a Prof. With more jobs, the more my knowledge grew and the more I made money. I charge between 10k 100k for an analysis that wouldnt take more than 3-5mins to finish. Sometimes, I do this for 5 people in 2 days.

I saved money from there to set up my first company - SolPro (an ICT firm). I quickly registered as a vendor with some big firms in Port Harcourt. Then I started receiving quotes from my clients. My brethren, my story has been growing from there. I was 27years since this started.

I went on to setup an HR social networking platform www.bejite.com (which is currently offline because we are working out something. But has an alexa rank of 14m worldwide. Not bad for a social network that just started few years ago by an amateur).

I also setup a training center for programmers called CodePro. There, programmers will be trained to join us in the long-term.

We are not there yet, but we are not where we used to be. Ahead! Ahead.

Well, I still run analysis for people. But this time, I call the shots big time!

Interesting. I am into data analysis and academic writing consultancy too.
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by mentro: 6:11pm On Feb 11, 2019
akaahs:
i started with keeping one female pig, give birth to 5 piglets which i sold 2 after 9 months they become 15, sold out 5 and after 8 months they became 45 sold them out and start my business of 700k now up to 2.5m
I like this, can you give me some advice on piggery business? I want to start like you started.
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by davidsthe(m): 6:22pm On Feb 11, 2019
Lakside1955:

Is to read now a problem for you? Or u expect me to start explaining all the journey here one by one?
Ode oshi

I don't like people like you that don't know what to reply and what to ignore
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 11, 2019
Justfunkira:

lie !!!! Nah money from okada you take buy lexus?..Lol Gee buruku. grin
Your brain is closed. Open up your brain. As a matter of urgency.
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by AwesomeDuru(m): 6:28pm On Feb 11, 2019
Smartjob1:
First, I did some manual jobs for 8months living with my mother. I saved 90% of the money during the period to buy a laptop and modem. Then I taught myself how to run econometric and data analysis using eviews, spss, sata12 and minitab using youtube (still doing menial jobs by the side). Once I am good with what that, I started contacting people in different schools, online, etc to let them know I can run their analysis (it is a must for all social and management students - Bsc, Msc and PhD) to use in doing their projects (Chapters 3, 4, 5). I told them I would do it for free for them for the first time. Few responded after months of trying my luck. Fortunately, those who responded got straight As from it and then - boom! The referrals skyrocketed. I started handling analysis from a Bsc to a Prof. With more jobs, the more my knowledge grew and the more I made money. I charge between 10k 100k for an analysis that wouldnt take more than 3-5mins to finish. Sometimes, I do this for 5 people in 2 days.

I saved money from there to set up my first company - SolPro (an ICT firm). I quickly registered as a vendor with some big firms in Port Harcourt. Then I started receiving quotes from my clients. My brethren, my story has been growing from there. I was 27years since this started.

I went on to setup an HR social networking platform www.bejite.com (which is currently offline because we are working out something. But has an alexa rank of 14m worldwide. Not bad for a social network that just started few years ago by an amateur).

I also setup a training center for programmers called CodePro. There, programmers will be trained to join us in the long-term.

Well, I still run analysis for people. But this time, I call the shots big time!
Hi, your story is really inspiring. Can you tell me where I can learn eviews, spss and sata12 from? Do you have pdfs that'll help? Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by abah001: 6:37pm On Feb 11, 2019
Justfunkira:

lie !!!!
Nah money from okada you take buy lexus?..Lol
Gee buruku. grin

Foolish goat
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by stancod(m): 6:58pm On Feb 11, 2019
jaelz:
Please lets share ideas here also... As for me I was able to raise money from savings from little jobs I did earlier on, where I signed up as vending agent (Vendor) with www.irecharge.com.ng/irecharge_biz I was able to get a very good location and opened a small shop where I earned commission on every single transaction being carried by me be it Electricity Meter Recharge (Prepaid and Postpaid), Data Recharge, Airtime Purchase or Cable Tv Subscriptions...
pls for how long were able to save for capital to start the business...months,days or years
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Itzogunsakin(m): 7:11pm On Feb 11, 2019
Britishcoins:
This is my favorite post today.
Firstly thanks to all those who has contributed.
Right now I am about to join the battle with the little I have.
I served my uncle for 10 years and all he could promise me this December was 100k.

To the glory of God, I have saved and still saving about 500k from Google admob, ponzi and any internet marketing I could trust.

My major challenge now is to find good location where I could setup clothing business with the little cash I have.
I always believe that God will make it for me...
Pls friends if you can suggest me any location for me.

Please can you teach me about Google Admob?

1 Like

Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by lightdream: 7:39pm On Feb 11, 2019
dommyini:
Simple
I got a loan from a bank
Bought a car for supply
Rented a shop to store the items
Used the remaining cash to buy fast moving agricultural products and supply
N/B.the profit i make from this business is used to pay back the loan and i also have some savings from it.

The point is if you really want to start a business
put your mind in it.
be focused.
Don't be distracted by what people say,discipline yourself,cut down on your expenses and above all PRAY.PRAY AND PRAY.

I have always thought abt Agric biz. Please would you mind to put me through?

I have an Hondar car though it’s before year 2000 serie model, an estate land for five years . All these came from when I was driving marwa. I left d biz after I completed my Nysc .now I got sucked to think of anything in paid employment. Getting tired and looking option by the side because of tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by The10thMan(m): 7:53pm On Feb 11, 2019
I was lucky to have eventually had a job that paid fairly well. I worked in the banking sector for a while where I was able to see first hand what entrepreneurship looked like. We were chasing young men to collect loans as part of our target. Upon leaving to a higher paying job, I set aside savings to set up a business. The business was registered with about 50k at CAC even though I did not run it for a while, I had the business name secured and was waiting for seed/venture capital.

When I was ready, I started with freelancing at first handling small components of major jobs. Made some money extra money, then started growing my own company. Training myself, improving my skills.Generally you can raise capital by some interesting ways including:

1. Personal Savings (from your job, other income sources, learn a skill/service to offer and get paid for);
2. Finding an Investor/Venture Partner (Selling Equity/percentage of the business);
3. Apply for a Loan;
4. Join a Savings/Cooperative Group;
5. Ask Family/Friends for Assistance.

Personally, I discovered that I was lucky to be able to raise capital through option 1. Recently, work staff cooperative has been important in no small measure, especially when it comes to acquiring real estate. I want to believe that if one knew a skill (handiwork/handicraft) that required getting paid for, one could make some income, set up something small and grow it from there. It is why some form of artisanal skills are important e.g. online skills, coding, etc. are important. You dont need special offices etc to offer your handiwork skills for earnings/income. Perhaps we now need the reawakening of various platforms including DRAGON'S DEN etc. to encourage entrepreneurs. Or perhaps a topic is created for people with start up/entrepreneurial ideas posting their business ideas and seeking for/attracting potential interested investors to invest for some equity of the business. Of course it will involve proper in-depth investigation and documentation. However, this will also be limited by unseriousness and people trying to take undue advantage of one another. A particular individual who posted his number sometime ago about a proposed Lounge/Bar/Restaurant Business in Lagos Island was called for weeks on end, with his number unavailable. Yet he was seeking for investors.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by lovelybugs(f): 8:08pm On Feb 11, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

savings from your parents' Pocket money?
Not really. I worked when I graduated from secondary school. Then when I was ready to start a business I showed my business plan to my parents and they gave me some money to support.
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Adegbem01(m): 8:26pm On Feb 11, 2019
erico2k2:

Your and the poster below you need to get a job and save from your earnings
It easier said, i am since been on the look out for that, but no job yet
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 11, 2019
lost my wealthy aunt....she willed all her property to me.I used it wisely to start my dream on fx

1 Like

Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Lakside1955(m): 9:36pm On Feb 11, 2019
Smartjob1:

You, my friend, is the real life monopoly player. A billionaire in the making. NEVER STOP!
Tnx much, this quote really inspired me more
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by NettyNelly(m): 10:02pm On Feb 11, 2019
Join AYEtrustfund and get loans without collateral or interest.
NB the amount you get depends on how much you where able to save and no of trust u could build. It is basically transaction based on trust
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Occurstaem(m): 10:57pm On Feb 11, 2019
Smartjob1:

I am encouraged.
I have interest in learning data analysis. Could you be my guide?
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by HeliosHay(m): 11:28pm On Feb 11, 2019
I saved up money from my Job and started my business on the side...2 years later I earn more from my business than I was earning from my Job. 1 quit the job last year January 2018

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Timabel: 11:33pm On Feb 11, 2019
jaelz:
Hello Nairalanders, in the spirit of getting to the promise land in terms of business set up and acquisition, I noticed the most common problem faced by most entrepreneurs here is how to raise capital.

I would appreciate it if successful business owners can lecture us on how they were able to raise or come up with the desired capital they needed to fully set up their personal hustles i.e was savings, grants, loans or family?

Please lets all help each other on how to raise money and capital for our personal businesses... Remember we rise by lifting others, no one man is an island of his own...

Awesome Question.

While this question remains a very important question most people should be asking, a whole lot of people especially youths have stalked themselves to the old and archaic non-existent ways of raising capital for businesses.

First and foremost, none of the above mentioned is reliable and easy to utilize anymore especially in this part of the world.

Briefly, let me just tell you my story. If this convinces you, then you can even make N10m before the end of this year as cash in hand, apart from other assets (neccessities or luxuries).
Not to waste time...
I was a branch manager with Diamond Bank, after sojourning from STB, UBA, FIRSTINLAND, BANKPHB before finally ending up in Diamond in 2009.

Joining Diamond Bank was as a result of job loss during the downsizing that caught up with most of us starting a new branch.

The experience after losing that job taught me a lesson. That's for another day.
So, when I got the Diamond Bank job, I decided to start preparing for the next years ahead.

I started a Cement Business, Petty Land Business, I already had a club that wasn't giving me a dime because I left it to be managed by friends & family members.
One of the most annoying investments I did was to start a poultry business with over 3,000 birds.

I never got a dime back from my Nephew who managed both the cement and poultry bizs.

Fastforwarded.

I resigned with over N5m in my account thinking I was rich enough to start a biz. Yes! This is of course a comfortable amount for some people. But not everyone can manage that amount especially considering the level I had risen to in the society plus family responsibilities.

I paid over N1.8m to start up a lights business. Sad experience for another day.

Spent over N1m to fix my house in Abuja. Lost everything.

Tried one or 2 other hustles. Got lost in the middle.

I became broke totally.
I started losing weight.
I lost friends
I lost my apartment.
Just name it.... Everything.

I stayed indoors for months without stepping out.
I smoked like hell.
I fed on just garri and okro.

I'm nit exaggerating.
In fact, my wife now can confirm it, because she was the only one I could talk to.

My whole clothes were faded.

So, one morning I stepped out to my usual Malam's kiosk to buy cigarettes on credit. Lol

On my way back, I saw this Newspaper stand being patronized by FRA - Free Readers Association �

So I joined them.

Before telling you what I did next.

Let me first inform you here that during those periods I stayed indoors.

I read books I had abandoned while as a banker. In fact,most of the books were bought by me just for the titles. Nothing more. I was only building my Library.

So, one of those books I listened to was "The Art of Exceptional Living" by Jim Rohn.
Right in that book, Jim advised listeners to read "Think and Grow Rich".
So I went further to start reading it. In fact, I was still reading it when I discovered what I needed to do.

So attitude Newspaper stand, I read an advert in Punch about a Telecom company seeking for Distributors in the North.
Gbam!
I took that advantage by taking the contact details.

Went home and called the numbers.
Behold it was the MD of Tue company.
They sell Land GSM phones.

I told him I am the best distributor he would ever have. � That gravity was what I learned from Edwin Barnes in Think and Grow Rich.

In the long run, the guy sent me flyers and a few information to help me get started.

I had zero cash.

I went online a d started marketing the product.

To cut the long story short.

I became the major distributor in Abuja. I got contract from an oil firm to supply them. Made N900k + from that one deal.
Went on to supply FIRS, NNPC, NDIC, etc.

I became a partner with Globacom and Etisalat. The members of staff started marketing for me.

Now, I can't continue with all the stories here. I already package that in my new book.

How To Start A Business Without Money.

This is what you should know.

First there are millions of businesses that have so.much capital but they're not making the needed sales to break even.
Secondly, you do not need an office to start as you can operate from home after sealing a deal.
Thirdly, it's not all products you should market. You need to thoroughly research which one has a good margin and how much of interest the audience will have buying it.

As I speak today, there is one of my clients I sealed a 15 years deal with. As small as the cost of his product is, at least I make a margin of between N2 - N4k per product.

I could get request to supply over 500 in just a day.
Sometimes, within a week, I supply between 98 to 150 of the products.

Now, this may be difficult to understand until you get really close.

There are other options if you don't want to get involved directly.
1. Tell the client to pay you upfront. Then you deliver the rest job and make him happy.
2. Get the client to allow you set up the structure for them. He pays you and you live.

You can think of more options.

Well, I'm open to questions here.

Finally, you can check my website - www.timabels.com or Facebook page as Tim Abel.

Chat me up on 08027941987 - WhatsApp

I hope this can get you started.

Please do not mind any error here as I'm doing this while listening to other things. Enjoy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by 1stbest(m): 4:29am On Feb 12, 2019
NettyNelly:
Join AYEtrustfund and get loans without collateral or interest.
NB the amount you get depends on how much you where able to save and no of trust u could build. It is basically transaction based on trust
pls, how can i ioin and get a loan from them?
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by niyoni: 8:07am On Feb 12, 2019
The10thMan:
I was lucky to have eventually had a job that paid fairly well. I worked in the banking sector for a while where I was able to see first hand what entrepreneurship looked like. We were chasing young men to collect loans as part of our target. Upon leaving to a higher paying job, I set aside savings to set up a business. The business was registered with about 50k at CAC even though I did not run it for a while, I had the business name secured and was waiting for seed/venture capital.

When I was ready, I started with freelancing at first handling small components of major jobs. Made some money extra money, then started growing my own company. Training myself, improving my skills.Generally you can raise capital by some interesting ways including:

1. Personal Savings (from your job, other income sources, learn a skill/service to offer and get paid for);
2. Finding an Investor/Venture Partner (Selling Equity/percentage of the business);
3. Apply for a Loan;
4. Join a Savings/Cooperative Group;
5. Ask Family/Friends for Assistance.

Personally, I discovered that I was lucky to be able to raise capital through option 1. Recently, work staff cooperative has been important in no small measure, especially when it comes to acquiring real estate. I want to believe that if one knew a skill (handiwork/handicraft) that required getting paid for, one could make some income, set up something small and grow it from there. It is why some form of artisanal skills are important e.g. online skills, coding, etc. are important. You dont need special offices etc to offer your handiwork skills for earnings/income. Perhaps we now need the reawakening of various platforms including DRAGON'S DEN etc. to encourage entrepreneurs. Or perhaps a topic is created for people with start up/entrepreneurial ideas posting their business ideas and seeking for/attracting potential interested investors to invest for some equity of the business. Of course it will involve proper in-depth investigation and documentation. However, this will also be limited by unseriousness and people trying to take undue advantage of one another. A particular individual who posted his number sometime ago about a proposed Lounge/Bar/Restaurant Business in Lagos Island was called for weeks on end, with his number unavailable. Yet he was seeking for investors.

Hi @The10thMan. Please could you share any profitable business ideas that are implementable in Port Harcourt or Warri with a maximum of 5 million naira capital?
I am seriously in search of viable business opportunities that are profitable and sustainable.
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by mercywhite(f): 8:56am On Feb 12, 2019
Personal savings and investing on the most important things first.
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Smartjob1(f): 10:02am On Feb 12, 2019
AwesomeDuru:
Hi, your story is really inspiring. Can you tell me where I can learn eviews, spss and sata12 from? Do you have pdfs that'll help? Thanks

Send me email to send you pdf docs:

chuksogbodo@gmail.com
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by erico2k2(m): 10:16am On Feb 12, 2019
Adegbem01:

It easier said, i am since been on the look out for that, but no job yet
Keep looking,the worst thing you can ever do is stop looking
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by NettyNelly(m): 10:36am On Feb 12, 2019
1stbest:
pls, how can i ioin and get a loan from them?
Log on to ayetrustfund.Org and sign up. But you will need to save first

1 Like

Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by 1stbest(m): 12:35pm On Feb 12, 2019
NettyNelly:

Log on to ayetrustfund.Org and sign up. But you will need to save first
save like how much and for how long?
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by NettyNelly(m): 3:45pm On Feb 12, 2019
1stbest:
save like how much and for how long?
Any amount but I suggest 5k per week. U can withdraw any time you want. Sign up and read T&C
BTW it was launched last year
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Feb 12, 2019
Smartjob1:

chuksogbodo@gmail.com
sent you a mail
Re: How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? by Occurstaem(m): 1:29am On Feb 13, 2019
Smartjob1:

chuksogbodo@gmail.com

Please I would like to receive it too.
May I send a message to you ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Learn How To Earn Over 100k Monthly Doing Snacks Business In Nigeria / Naira Weakens At Forex Market As Foreign Reserves Drop To $43b / Keystone Bank Introduces ‘Cheque Deposit’ In Mobile App In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.