Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,981 members, 7,814,340 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Some Fun While Job Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Some Fun While Job Hunting (153778 Views)

If You're Asked For Any Of These While Job Hunting, Run For Cover! / What Is Your Most Embarassing Moment While Job Hunting. / 5 Great Work-from-home Jobs You Can Do While Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (68) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by HIScraziness(m): 12:34pm On Jan 13, 2020
This thread is Interesting

2 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by OtunbaBlack(m): 1:08pm On Jan 13, 2020
How i spent my holiday and my goals for 2020

Holidays they say is an extended period of time for leisure and traveling and most especially well spent when you are with your loved ones and definitely this how I felt when returning from Bauchi after elapsing my one year of service.

Tuesday, December 24th, 2019 I had left my little apartment in the Ganjuwa province of Bauchi. I was sad and excited to leave this place I have called home for a year but the joy of returning to see my family and friends was more overwhelming, I had already saved up some money to buy killishi as the thought of what my sister would do to me if I don’t is very scary. There really wasn’t much holiday rush or festivity decorations in Bauchi as the majority of her citizens are Muslims so each day felt normal. immediately I got to Lagos I could see kids everywhere putting on there Christmas caps and adults all around Oshodi and Ikeja market rushing to buy things they would need for the holidays as its already December 24. I was busy enjoying the sight of the beautiful city I had left behind for a year, I must have spent at least an hour just looking around. As I boarded a bus I could feel the festivity vibrations everywhere and I kept smiling till I got home.

Wednesday the 25th Christmas day a beautiful day where people are putting on very attractive clothes and red caps and food is surplus I woke and could smell deep frying from far away but then at home, we really don’t do much on Christmas days cause as a kid my parents would take us out rather than do any cooking so it became a tradition and as we grew up we stopped going out on Christmas days and definitely cooking the festivity food does not happen either, my mum would say find your square root but we do celebrate the new year big. I was used to this and have always spent most of my Christmas at my neighbors and so it was one of those days again. I got up early, did my chores and ran off to the weady’s to help out since we are practically family it was fun the music,the booze and food was topnotch there was also plenty of cupcakes but was on sale and I had planned to spend economically through the holidays cause I had developed a movie script while in Bauchi and decided to flip it into short movie I planned on shooting from 26th of December nevertheless I can never thank the weadys enough for always including me in there Christmas tradition I even feature in their family photographs.

I didn’t catch all the fun on Christmas day cause I had to rush to Jakande to rent equipment for the short movie I had made my main goal for 2019 and practically saved up for it I was excited about this project as I had the most loving and supporting friends who turned my project into theirs and everybody contributed fairly Olumide drove us around through all the set, Tobi worked as our location manager, Segun worked as the cinematographer, femi worked as assistant producer, my mum worked as the chef, my sister as accounting and logistics manager and my brother as director and a lot of my friends that gave up their other plans to shoot a movie .this was the whole cap of my holiday as I deeply buried myself into this project it’s the best thing have decided to do in my life we spent most days outdoor and others on the road the experience was amazing and the nostalgia was topnotch, when we are not shooting we all gather together to share stories from our past and played various games we shot our movie in bits till the 31st and after which we had an after party on January 1 in conjunction with our family gathering. all this I owe to the power of saving and determination.

My goal for 2020 is big but achievable as my siblings have taught and trained me on the “post NYSC depression” so I had time while in Bauchi to think about what I want to do while still searching for a job. my plan is to release the movie and push it as much as I can hoping it gains some ground, do more on script-writing if the path clears up well, build more on my Maya animation and dynamics Nav ERP skills to at least help me become independent if the jobs are not forthcoming and help improve my CV to boost my chances of getting a job. the Main Goal is to have something Tangible to reflect on at the end of the year as a major achievement.

2 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by 1stHooligan(m): 1:42pm On Jan 13, 2020
How I spent my holidays and my goals for 2020.

"Holidays", It's a word I haven't heard since I have been recruited as a soldier. The day I rest to earth shouldn't be my holiday. It's amazing I am having my holiday trip in a forest between Bornu and Lake Chad.

December is here but I have been fighting for the past 10 years; that's my holiday. We have been fighting, chasing the enemies for the past 10 years; that's my holiday. They have been chasing us too, and the casualties are not few.

This has to be the coldest of all Decembers in the theater for me. My knees are knocked, I want to move my back but I can't. Shivering, I gently move my finger off the trigger so I don't set off an unnecessary alarm 2 kilometers away from camp.

I was dressed in a camouflage, laying down with my lower body partly in a trench. I can smell lost blood and flesh, but I can't seem to find fear. I can not sleep, I must keep awake so my brothers can sleep, so that my sisters can sleep and so that the citizens might live. My holiday is a life of dedication.

Tuesday 24th December 2019, enemies struck at will. Dozens of ISWAP fighters driving trucks and motorcycles stormed into Kwarangulum, shooting fleeing residents and burning homes after looting food supplies in large quantities.

My Reconnaissance patrol team chased after them and fired at will. My riffle keeps getting hot and my gloves melts, but I have to hold it too defend. My gun my; my best friend as I shoot-and-scoot. The enemies returned fire and then we resorted to flanking maneuver, brought out an RPG 7 and targeted the their third Hilux.

Boom!!!
Stolen corn on the road spread zigzag like a drunkard's walk. I saw a smouldering Hilux in the bush with visible 6 sacks of millet that can't be salvaged. I saw body parts littered everywhere. Rocket propelled grenade luncher never miss.

Traaataatataa tata ta tata I shot. How on earth was he still trying to move? He has emaciated and had all sort of charms around his waste. "Bastard!" Marshall shouted! "Let him collect his refund from the person wey do him jazz".

25th of December, we tried to reassure the villagers of protection but they cried, and a man who lost his daughter wept bitterly. These scenes attracts a heavy toll on even the strongest of all men. I wondered if God was truly watching what men are doing to each other. But as a soldier you show no weakness but sympathy and remorse. We and a packet of Civilian JTF helped bury the dead and went on rescue and recovery mission.

On our way for mission, we chased a game but I killed it with a final shot. We roasted antelope and celebrated Christmas with it. No chickens in the war zone "bro". It's funny it was enough to go round. Commander warned us to stop killing animals for food at the war front, that we are not hunters but man is naturally a farmer and a hunter.

We prayed for the comrades who have lost their lives to this decade long war. We were Reminded that victory comes from God but, " it is fatal to enter a war without the will to win it". We prayed too meet our loved ones back at home in peace. And at that moment, water came out of my nose, I cleaned it and more came but it was from my eyes.
I remembered my mother, a widow. I am her only surviving son and I haven't seen her in two years. She's worried I am unmarried, I wonder if she's thinking about me too.

I am worried about her health, arthritis is bad. I am worried she hasn't gotten her pension after retireing in 2016, I am worried the war isn't ending anytime soon and I am worried she rejected the money I sent. I am worried she wants to see me but I have lost too many comrades.

I have become a man fueled by hate, aggression and revenge. My holidays are of self pity, guns, bullets, tanks, explosives , cold, heat and a host of inconvenience, but a sacrifice for my nation. I will live for something rather than die for nothing.

On the 27th, we heard BBC reported the attack on Kwarangulum but it was inaccurate. The war takes a new twist each other day. I was put in charge of HMG; Multi-role heavy machine gun. Commander called it Browning M2 and I wonder if we are baking cake. In fact, the devil in me wanted to ask him for the milk flavouring but RSM might not even understand.

New Multi-National Joint Task Force personnel just got posted here and they are being introduced to us. One said he likes my gun with a Stern face but I can see through his dark sun shade. He knows this holiday, I have seen more woes than hope on this soil. He wanted to shake me but I held firm my hands around my riffle.

I follow standard protocol not friendship unless you are a Nigerian soldier. I don't trust these 'Whites'.

The civilian JTF are the only ones who fancy these foreign troops. Their guns aren't really different from ours, it's just the traning and discipline.

28th of December, it seems God has decided to open the doors where he locked extreme cold. I am eager to try my HMG on any thing that moves in this thick mist. We have been alerted by Gajigaram that ISWAP are on the northern section between us and Gamboru.

And I am in the cold. I am unable to breath. Eyes opened and not blinking, I am at alert with my comrades so that civilians might sleep in peace, so that you and your wife might have fun at night, so that your kids can eat and go to school peacefully.

But you hate me for what men who are indisciplined have done. You blame me for what men who are not morally balanced have done because they wore force uniforms.

Here I am in this blistering cold, prepared to meet my maker to protect you. Here, I am at the war front with no woman to keep me warm but my right hand when I am Hot

On the 30th of December, by a stroke of luck, I was at Bama because I was drafted to Fighting patrol. I called my mum and she responded with a weak voice but immediately she heard my voice, she called my name twice in quick succession. She said she has been trying to reach me. I told her the network where I was is poor for now..

I lied to her that there was no more fighting but she seemed to be crying and not believe me. She said the media still carries news of soldiers killed by Boko Haram. She begged me to take permission and come home. She didn't remember Nigerian Army is not Government Secondary School Ilorin boarding house, where I could jump the fence, and run to her to every weekend to eat her food.

She reminded me that dad was no more and how lonely she has been. I lied to her again that the war was over and there is no more boko haram. I wanted to tell her, "I love you mumy", but I don't want her to cry. I don't want the other soldiers to laugh at me.

I wanted to have my holiday with mum, I want to see my mother again. I am afraid, I may not be alive tomorrow. My heart grows heavier each day.

I want to hug my mother again and drive her to Shoprite but I am faraway somewhere in Bornu. Having my holidays at the battlefield.

I have it at the back of my mind that goals are not easily achieved. My goals this 2020 is to go back to school for my masters, no matter what it takes. 'Awol is blood and blood is Awol'

I am planning on taking a lover this 2020 no matter how challenging it may be. I have decided to keep my goals few in order to work on them strongly. I know I am seeing my mom this year so no need of holding that as a goal.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by devlishGINGER(m): 2:06pm On Jan 13, 2020
How I spent my holidays and my goals for 2020

Holidays are meant for fun and being productive, and my holiday began with me and my chicken. If I could, I would title the essay "chicken chase" or "window escapee".

Of all the animals in the world, I am of the opinion chickens are the most notorious birds. Lousy birds that are quick to eat our poultry feed but quick to shout and call the villagers attention whenever their laps are needed as food.

Oh! dear chicken, very foolish chicken! Squawk all you want. You are soup and "soup is you". Chickens! Greedy thieves quick to lunch their throat like a shuttle over my unfinished meal if I mistakenly rush into the house to pick my mobile phone.

If God helps you and you intend to pull your trickery into kidnapping them, they will eat your corn and still call the neighbors on you, make a big fool of your gimmicks and never bid you bye in a polite manner. Bunch of sorry feathers.

On the 20th of December 2019, I was saddled with the responsibility of buying two healthy strong chicken. One of the two chicken is meant to be a gift to my grandmother. I was asked how much it would cost and I inflated the price.

I was given 8000 to buy two.

When I got to the market, I went to the major section where chickens were sold. After walking the length and breadth of the market, bargaining with the old women and getting scorched by the sun, I decided to sit and drink pure water.

You see, I had budgeted buying a soccer boot from the 8000 so I need to see if I could get Chickens cheaper than the planned cost. Alas! There was this chicken, bright red feathered and breathing with all its strength because of thirst. I felt pity for it and asked how much. We bargained for a while then I paid 1,800 each for the red cock and another cock too.

I was happy with my bargaining skills, little did I know I must have bought a cock probably stolen form a herbalist's confinement or possibly a red chicken meant for sacrifice. You are wondering how I got to know?

On my way home, I bought corn and millet mixed together, held it in a separate nylon and the birds too in a separate nylon only for the red cock trying to beat the other chicken to death. It kept stabbing it's comb with his beak more precisely than normal.

When I got home, the red feathered cock flew out of the nylon with full force. It's voice was very deep and loud. It was as if it was interacting with the wall and the ceiling in the parlor. By the time it finally decided to land, the foolish chicken landed on our dining table and broke two glass cup and a flask. The flask was bought even before I was born and we always treated it like a relic.

It took me like a minute before I could snap out of the momentary loss of consciousness. I ran to the kitchen, brought out my mother's pestle I used it on the chicken. It became very gentle and sober. I didn't care if it died or if it survived any longer. If it died, I was sure it will rest in the abys of hell fire judging by the havok it had recked.

I was lost as to how to explain what had happened to my parent. I swept the broken object and kept it in a corner. Even through my over two decades in life, I have never broken anything with such impunity and reckless abandon.

After that traumatizing episode and much preparedness, me, my parent and siblings journey from kwara state to saki on the 23rd of December. Saki located in Oyo state and also doubles as my dad's hometown. When we got to my father's house we exchanged pleasantries and I had to kneel and close my eyes, while grandpa placed his hand on my head to pray. The chicken kept shouting all through as if it wanted to join in prayers or could it be it wanted to distort the prayers?

I offload the vehicle, I made sure the chicken was the last thing I carried inside. I kept it in one of the uncompleted bathroom and tied it to the shower. I asked my neighbors if there was a football pitch in the surrounding and they showed me.

The next morning, the eve of Christmas, I took my soccer boot and joined them to play football. It was all interesting and in fact I scored two goals. I was feeling like Wolverhampton Wanderers striker, Adama Traoré. I wished Nuno Espírito Santo was watching so he could sign me too on his team.

Anyways, towards the end of the football game, I got a sprain when a guy hit my leg from the back. I felt a sharp pull at the calf region and I knew it was time to call it a day. I went home limping wit no-one to carry me. Another day another lesson, I guess we are all on our own in life!

When I got home I was tired, exhausted and limping but dad didn't bother. He had tried convincing me to stay at home. He said I should prepare the violent chicken so we could use it to serve our guests.

Deep down in me, I saw that as an avenue to avenge our jug the chicken spoilt, coupled with the stress and embarrassments it had put me the through.

Gallantly, I walked to the bathroom where I had tied the local cock only to discover the place was empty. Shocked and perplexed, I shouted "haa! ". I saw the rope I had used to tie the cock dangling from the window panes. There was no net on the window to have stopped the "escapee chicken ".

Our local cock had jumped out the window and I had to start chasing it all over the village. From one bush to another 'mechanica shop', from one provision store to another. It was more like the game Temple Run. Imagine! A whole big boy like me, town personality, now chasing a stupid cock all over the village, what manner of rubbish is that?

It kept running and screeching and when it got tired, it was looking at me from a distance, I was looking at it too. It was waiting for me to take a step so it could run even though it was tired just like me.

Dear chicken, can we please quite this dangerous play and go back home together in peace?

One thing I learnt on the part of the bird, determination is everything we need to keep struggling no matter how tough and challenging life maybe. We just need to keep moving. The bird was determined, I was determined too and along the way the cock got so tired it went and buried it's head where an abandoned car engine was piled. A part of me felt sorry for the chicken but I immediately shrugged it off, "I mean not a vegetarian today".

During this same period in 2018, I wrote down my 2019 goals and I can't say I didn't try my best to achieve half of it. 2020 is already here and I am praying it will be a better year.

My very first goal this year that I want to achieve is to stop hesitating, postponing or delaying any decision. So far it's positive, it deserves every effort from me.

I am done with lackluster attitude, being slow to decide and contemplating too much than necessary. When you procrastinate too much life becomes more hilly and tedious to climb to glory.

Secondly, I am determined to expand my friendship and acquaintance. I need to "up" my networking. I want to make more virtual friends and real time friends, meeting new people that can be beneficial to both my career prospects, information and mental well-being. Meeting new intelligent gentlemen and influential people is top of my priority list this year.

Third on my 2020 goals list is to read a lot of books. Since that's one of the best ways to stay informed mostly about history and human development and society.

In 2019 I read a very low volume of books. There must be a change this year since I intend to start writing my own books too and enlightening others while making sales on Amazon among other platforms. Reading is an important way to gain knowledge and I am not going to slack.

This year, I want to realign my habits of being shy with boldness! I must improve my conversations with the opposite sex. I also need to start something meaningful if government employment isn't forthcoming or promising.

15 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by OiOi: 2:24pm On Jan 13, 2020
I spent my holidays lamenting how I lost 2019! I lost 2019! But each day I wake, I feel there is so much I can give 2020. I lost 2019 not because I did not learn anything productive, but I felt like I should have had more out of you, my long lost 2019.

It's been over 13 days since I lost you (today inclusive) and my heart still bleeds. But it's all good, I have parted ways with more than 27 years. I just wanted to let you know I ended up crying on 31st of December morning because I felt cheated.

On the 31st, I took an early morning walk around 5:30am to 6:30am before people started waking up. I used this opportunity to pray and think about my lapses and how I can improve. I believe I am not stagnant rather I am progressing by establishing my own clothing business line.

It wasn't that easy to kick off but during this holiday, I have been making sales. I told a customer that I sold bulk shirt though the money seems much, but by the time you remove the procurement or capital from it, the gain is really merge.

On the 24th December, I went and bought two big broiler chicken for Christmas. I taught my sister's son how to hold a chicken and slaughter it. All they wanted to do is look at the dead chicken and not touch it. I wonder what they are teaching in these schools nowadays.

I asked them what they observed about the chicken and they replied that it was no longer moving. I told them that it's dead. I told them once blood is coming out of anyone's body, it's danger and that it can lead to death.

I told them to say danger and they repeated with a shout after me. Their mum and everyone in the house screamed and ran outside in a panicking state. They asked what happened and where is the danger?

I laughed and told them I was just teaching the children basics about animals. They all went inside while I took care of the chicken's feathers.

When I was through with the feathers, I asked all the kids in the house to come around and learn. I switched on the stove and asked them what they observed.

They were all looking like low electricity from PHCN. Nifemi who made an effort to speak was even talking like an "I pass my neighbor generator" that has exhaust pipe and rotor problems.

I told them that fire is helping to remove the small feathers from the chicken's body. I told them to repeat what I have said after me, but they didn't get it right. Then I told them to shout fire. They all resounded fire and my mother shouted, "holy ghost! ". (Holy Ghost fire?)

Those who were sleeping, those who were watching movies, the goat that was eating yam peelings, ducks that sat to read newspapers and dogs that were sniffing the floor for baby poops on the street, and everybody in the house ran outside.

While those who we nursing mothers, young women and able bodied men ran outside their homes too. It seems no one wants to die by fire, yet chicken is sweeter the longer it's stays on fire. How ironic.

As me and the kids saw people running outside, we ran after them.

We are not that brave to stay put when people that are older than us are fleeing. It could be the Iranian rockets or American drones that was making people to run helter-skelter. We can't predict if the "world War 111" has already began, but how did it get to Nigeria?

They shouted water ooooo. Another person shouted, "where is the fire? where is the fire?" it was at that moment I knew what happened.

The next day, everybody is now thinking I am mad. Everybody is suspecting I need mental check up. I want to prove them wrong but I am afraid they are right, so what's left? What's left of me when everything is not right?

These kids are my link to reality, I need to teach these kids certain things. I want to make them bold. I am making them sharp, aware of their surroundings and articulate. So that if something happens they will know how to describe and also appreciate life.

The next day, I saw where my dad had parked his taxi since it was having a fault and it has been in a spot for a while. A neighbor came to borrow his battery to warm his car... "Well if we look at it critically, dad doesn't really need the battery anyways", I heard the voice.

In the afternoon, I went and bought paint rubber, cement and rod.

My sister asked me, "Kasim, what are you doing", I didn't respond. My mother asked me what I was doing, I didn't respond. The kids asked me what I was doing, I grunted at them. Our neighbors asked me what I was upto, but I shrugged my shoulders.

Wow! all this expenses to build a weight I can be lifting and other's can lift too. But where did the money come from? I don't know too!

"Kasim! Where is my car keys? Oh I have found it..."
"Kasim! Open the bonet and Help me to use stone hit the battery head."
"It's like there is no contact there".

*Kasim opens bonet *

"Dady, where is the battery, there is no battery here."

The kids saw me lifting weight, my mother saw me lifting weight. My sister is fetching water but I am lifting weight. Life itself is heavy and we are all carrying our cross, that's my sister's cross she's carrying.

My neighbors want to join me but are either sorry for me or afraid of the muscles I have piled up in just two days. I am thinking I am the ''African Hulk", I am feeling I am the African "Hollywood hulkHunger".

The kids in the neighborhood can't wait to watch me every morning. I want to tell them it is as a result of keeping fit. If nobody appreciate me these kids do. I told them I am a star on Facebook and even know BBC; they show me everyday. But do these kids no what BBC is? Even their fathers have never heard of it.

" Tell your mumy you want to lift. Kasim weight, it is just 5 naira ".

Deep down in me I am tired of life but I am afraid to say it. My mum thinks I am mad. My father says no one has ever been mad in his generation, and he is doubting what they used my mother's dowry for.

My father says I am a bastard, but we have the same receding hairline and nose. I want to be ashamed of myself, but that voice says, "no Kasim! you are a strong man, you are 27 years old, you are a king, you are a star".

I don't want to talk to this voice, but he's the only one ready to listen to me. I want to cry but I am thirsty, I haven't drank water since father asked me to leave his house. It's very cold here, sleeping in a school's class room. I want to tell my dady sorry, I want to tell my mum sorry.

I miss them, but nobody loves me anymore. Love is strange and I am starting to doubt if the voice in my head is a woman or a man. I think it's just me so let's set goals.

You know goals gives you purpose, and they help you to guide your life. In this 2020, I don't want to be running from police men and jumping over people's feaces like a toad while being chased.

I will stay away from crime.
I will not be violent or fight any one.
I want to be a man of peace. I want to get employed this year. I don't want to say I lost 2020 on January 1st 2021.

My goal is to volunteer to help those who are in need.
My goal is to get a secured job this year.

My goal is to apologize to all the face I share memories with. I really need a good job this 2020. God can you hear me! Hello God! Are you there?
Do you ever listen? Hello God!

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Scupata(f): 2:36pm On Jan 13, 2020
Warming up cheesy
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by nooker: 2:43pm On Jan 13, 2020
I am not a writer o but 10k is not a small thing so here goes:

HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAYS AND MY GOALS FOR 2020

I love holidays a lot (who doesn't?) but the christmas holiday is my favorite. The preparations, decorations, street carnivals, christmas parties and of course, plenteous food makes it so appealing. I had just completed my youth service and was already bored staying at home. Plus, my mum's unending errands were beginning to drive me crazy. One day, my elder sister called and after speaking with mum for some minutes, asked to speak with me. whilst we were gisting, i hit on a bright idea
"Sis, can i come and spend christmas with you?"
She paused for some seconds and asked that i give the phone back to my mum. That was strange but i just assumed that she wanted to ask mum's permission to let me travel. Anyways, few minutes later, mum gives her permission, big sis gives her go ahead and i excitedly start packing my bags. While in my room, i overheard my mum singing one of her funny parable songs: this one talked about a foolish man who tried to cut down a plantain tree with an axe because he was in a hurry but ended up spending more time than the man who used a cutlass. Normally, i would have asked her what that meant but i was in a hurry to finish packing because i was to travel the next day.

When i got to the park the next day, i called my sister to let her know i was already on my way. The journey was smooth but traffic was really thick and slow due to the bad roads. We arrived eventually and i called my sister again but she didn't pick. I called her husband, no response. I knew my way so i took a cab.
I got to the house and met the gate locked. I knocked, no response. Tried calling them again to no avail. I wanted to call my mum but decided against it. That one can panic for Africa and i didn't want to cause any wahala. So, i sat in a shop close to the house and bought myself a cold drink. Halfway through, my phone rang and i saw it was my sister's husband. At last!

" Nooker how far? You don reach?"
"Yes bros. I've been trying to reach both of you since"
" No vex, i'm on my way back now"
Within a few minutes, he was back and i noticed that he was excited but looking like someone that had not had a bath; plus where on earth was my sister?

"Bros welcome"
" Thank God o my dear. She has finally delivered and it's a beautiful girl "

I did a double take. I didn't even know my sister was pregnant as i had not seen her in over a year. The news excited me greatly and i was about to bring my phone out to call my mum when i realised that my brother in law was saying something.
"Sorry. What did you say?"

He told me he was going to have a quick bath before going back to the hospital and that he would drop me off at the market to get some stuff. Then he dropped the shocker
" Thank you for offering to come and help. This means a lot to us"
Help ti bawo?
I called my mum and got the full gist. Turns out my sister was already at the hospital when she called the previous day and my mum was aware that she was going for elective CS based on her doctor's advice. They both had agreed that mum should travel down the next day before i opened my big mouth and offered myself as a sacrificial lamb. No wonder she asked to speak to mum after i asked her if i could come over. No wonder my mum was singing happily because she knew i would get double of the errands i was running away from. I asked mum when she was coming over and she replied that it would take at least two weeks! Oluwa! I felt my chest was about to burst.

My sister was discharged the next day and my mum actually came two days later.
It wasn't easy o. I cooked, went to the market, cleaned, washed (mum said it wasn't good to wash a baby's clothes with washing machine so i always washed them by hand) entertained guests-my sister couldn't really do much because of her condition- , took turns with my mum in carrying the baby at night so my sister could sleep. The much awaited christmas day came and i didn't even notice because everyday was the same.
Immediately, they shouted 'happy new year,' i told my mum that i needed to travel back because someone had called me about a job. From the amused look she gave me, i know she knew i was lying.

My goal for this year is to fine-tune my sewing skill ( i enrolled into a fashion school during my service year)and venture into fashion designing.

4 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by 7thLemonLOVER(f): 2:46pm On Jan 13, 2020
Holidays! I come from a family, I like to think we ought to be considered the 'Christmas family' or called 'the new year family'. If Santa comes visiting after Christmas and new year holidays, he wouldn't meet a twitching bird nor a cricket's sound to greet him.

For me, holidays started earlier than expected. Can you imagine the fun and expectations it brings? Maybe, but you can't fathom how demanding it could be for a last child from a family of 7.

On the 8th of December 2019, I got a whatsapp broadcast message from our family group mandating all the children whether married or single to be home by 16th of December. I had to flip through the whatapp group to know if I was going to exit it because I was feeling the messages were probably directed at me.

On the 18th of December, I got to NARTO motor park as early as 5am in order to make sure I sat in the middle row which I consider to be the best position in a commuter bus.
As I was waiting for the mosque's loud speakers to die down and wondering how vast language and culture in Nigeria is, my thoughts was halted by a barge of men and women speaking fulfulde. I quickly stood up with my brown wallash traveling bag and briskly entered the bus only to be greater by a warm handsome smile but I acted as if it didn't count.

Although, I knew if we were going to be sharing the same row, if he didn't talk to me I wouldn't talk to him either no matter how strong the urge might be. Even if he is Buhari's son, I will maintain my ego because I know once we get to kano, everyone will part ways to continue their journey but I was wrong.

That was how I began my two days journey from katsina to Lagos. As the vehicle was about to leave NARTO Park enroute UNGUWAR UKU MOTOR in kano, I started feeling like vomiting. Five minutes into the trip, i tapped the guy and signalled to him that I wanted to vomit.

He understood my sign language and told the driver in hausa to park. Before I could step out of the vehicle, I had vomited the toast bread and eggs I eat earlier. It was really embarrassing, but I felt comfortable after throwing up.

The guy sitting beside me brought his bottled water and offered his handkerchief to clean my face. I collected it but I was really afraid of using it owing to the fact I have heard different stories of how hausa people hypnotize unsuspecting people with handkerchief.

We got back into the journey and talked. I asked him about academics and he told me he is a 300level undergraduate at Bayero University Kano. I smiled and told him I didn't attend any school but I am hoping to soon. He smiled and asked again and I told him am a 2017 graduate of University of Abuja.

If I had told him the truth, 2015, that might scare him off. I just hope he isn't reading this essay.

During our conversation we exchanged numbers and I got to understand he was traveling to Lagos but had to branch in Kano. I was surprised and told him I was headed to Lagos too as its a family tradition for all family members to come home, irrespective of their marital status.

He laughed and questioned why that was compulsory since we are all matured. I explained that he ought to consider it as a form of reunion and getting to care for each family members lagging behind in livelihood. I don't blame him, he is a kind young dude who barely has an excellent idea about maternal and paternal bond.

After four hours of traveling and resisting the urge to chat my Facebook and whatsapp friends up because of my new found acquaintance, the messages started trickling in like drops off a river.

The notifications were much and I didn't want him to feel like I was hiding anything, so I had to reply the few I could. I was conscious of him looking and I took the bull by the horn and started showing him my pictures; that of my sister's wedding, my brothers, that of my parents.

He made me feel like a big girl because of my infinix S4 but that feeling didn't last much till he pulled out his iPhone with three cameras. What is it even called, iPhone 12?

We got to a place we could eat and I ordered rice for both of us, he smiled and did not reject nor question it. He only reminded me I need to get drugs

We continued the trip and he asked if I was staying in kano. I told him I was traveling through but I would Lodge and continue my trip the next morning. He kept quite for a while and I could only liken it to an awkward silence. "So instead of looking for a hotel late in the night, what if I offered a better place for you to stay and we continue our trip to Lagos in the morning"?

I didn't know if I should accept or decline then I responded that I would rather prefer an hotel because I barely met him some hours ago. He responded, "we are all bound to meet at a certain point in life. I am not evil ".

He called his uncle's wife and told her she should be expecting two guests. Partly, I felt happy but uneasy; one for being given the privilege to save my money and comfort, second, for spending a night with a semi-stranger.

When we got to the park, we were picked by the wife but she was stealing a glimpse of me each minute like, ''what is Habeeb doing with this "Kafir"? And the thing was, at that point, I couldn't go back to seek a hotel.

I called my big sister to inform her I would be staying with a friend although I didn't go deep as to how we met. We were served rice. Part of me wanted to reject the meal because I have been eating rice throughout the trip. I did not want to turn it down so she may not feel bad.

The next morning she greeted me really nicely, she asked if I wouldn't mind bread, eggs and tea. I told her I didn't want to be vomiting, and she was Sympathetic to my response.

She dropped me and Habeeb off at the park but this time, she was super nice to me. My best bet was Habeeb already narrated how we met. Women and their palava sha.

When we got to Ibadan, I posted on my family group chat that I made a friend on my way from katsina. I shared a selfie we took together with Habeeb's iPhone on the group. I must say we were both beautiful. IPhone is designed to present reality in a refined way, please i am not advertising them I am just saying android comes no closer.

When we got to Lagos, my family was at the park with an entourage waiting to pick us. So much cars you would think Sanwolu came to park. So much love it's hard not to be emotional.

The truth is, when you are scarce the demand is high: when you are available, the value depreciates.

We had to go drop Habeeb some where on the island. We maintained contact and the whole family keeps asking, "How's your sugar boy. When is he coming to visit ?"

On the 22nd of December I had to take big Sister's Camry to make transportation easy. Me and Habeeb took a trip to very interesting places in Lagos. Anyway, Lagos is big.

On the 23rd, I fell ill and spent more than more than 7 days on admission. Doctor quoted malaria and typhoid. I wonder where it came from because I was never Ill or had any symptoms of malaria.

I wouldn't let this weigh me down, It's already in the past and my goals this year is to take notice of my health more. I also intend to get a life insurance eventhough I used to attach a lot of superstitious believe to it.

Part of my 2020 goals is also to expand my business since I'm self employed. I am also working towards a steady relationship and I promised to be careful with my conversation. Nonetheless, I won’t let Anyone waste your time. It's not as if I am raising my expectations too high I am just recharging my energy!

I hope God helps me because without him efforts might be in vain.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Scupata(f): 3:01pm On Jan 13, 2020
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAY AND MY GOALS FOR 2020.

Holidays are the best times to relax and I eagerly wait for them especially the Christmas holiday. So I was overly excited when mum announced that we will be traveling to the East for Xmas. I immediately began packing, this was 3 years since we last visited home, I was already shivering with delight at the prospect of seeing my village once more and the fun I was to have.

The journey was a smooth one, we arrived home to the boisterous and noisy activities of Xmas not forgetting the wild escapades of harmattan... But i didn't care, I loved them all. The family was so excited to see us as much as we were to see them, we were treated to different native delicacies and in turn, we gifted them with goodies from the city, they loved it.

The next few days saw my cousins and I goiing round the entire village, moving from one ceremony to another ( both invited and univited, we didn't discriminate, we loved the free delicacies) , we visited our village stream and had the swim of our lives, Even though we have all become adults we still roamed the bushes searching for wild fruits like children, especially the sweet udara fruits that never fails to bless us with fallen fruits.For the four consecutive days it lasted, We made sure we witnessed all the local matches and wrestling and masquerade dancers perform in the market square. We literarily relived our childhood and it was full of fun. I had prayed that the holiday be extended.

Granny Alice's place was the last place I decided to visit before the holiday was over and I did visit. If anything had warned me of the impending danger I was to face, I would have decided to respect my entire generation and stay in my father's house. Granny Alice never stopped bothering me to bring at least a boyfriend home, last I saw her, she told me she feels her time to die is near and so I must bring a man before she bids us farewell eternally.. I didn't believe her... It was her usual trick.. So I decided to spend the last few days at my maternal home with Granny and my cousins. On the second day there, I was to be treated to the shock of the Century.

One of my elder brothers ( cousin) brought a friend home.. Dude was all over me ( and granny Alice was over herself with delight, her dreams are about to come to pass, she must have thought.. Lol) and I was forming tushhh and hard to get throughout the day, at night ( u know as village dey sweet to dey outside do some short put) na so I go enter one bush near our house to do the thing na.... Men and brethren, na so my cousin go put on generator for upstairs ( and from up, u can see everything happening around the area including the Bush where I was ) and dude was on the balcony with my cousin Immediately light came on... Everywhere became illuminated, to tell u the truth, I prayed that the earth open and swallow me that day

Dude saw me shiiiiitin inside bush!!!

Long story cut short... I made sure I never came in contact with him till I left!

Some days ago, he sent me a friend request on facebook..u again??. I blocked him... Oga carry yaself and be going pulizeeee..

After ruining my holiday, you want to ruin this new year too! That was how my village people decided I disgrace my lineage before coming back to Lagos. My holiday did not only gift me the best enjoyment ,it also added the worst embarrasment of my life. I will never forget that holiday, but I have moved on.

This is 2020 and I have set goals which includes but not limited to;
Drawing nearer to God, learning a skill, start up a business or get myself a good job,a house and a car if possible. Exercise more,eat healthy and most importantly settle down with my significant other ( for myself and granny Alice, I won't be treated to mama Alice's impending death tales next time. Lolz)

1 Like

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 13, 2020
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAYS AND GOALS FOR THE NEW YEAR

“Merry Christmas, I wish you the same”.

The ever-popular salutation that heralds that special time of the year. A time to reflect on how the year has been so far and make plans for the festive celebrations. For most persons of the Eastern extract, it is also that time of the year to embark on a “journey”. Like the proverbial saying “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” so it is pertinent to plan a trip to no other place than the “Eastern Heartland”.

On a cold breezy morning, the bus park is bubbling with lots of noise from different bus companies, people trying to locate the buses heading to their villages/destinations, the bus park touts doing “their thing” as well (if you know what I mean). While carefully holding close to my luggage, I located the buses heading to Owerri-Umuahia and purchased my ticket. I was lucky enough to get my most cherished seat number 15 (don’t blame me for making it special, it is because of my long legs). At exactly 8 o’clock after all the usual praise & worship, goodbyes, etc. we departed Lagos for the East.

The journey was very smooth and of course, I couldn’t let go of the ever-famous tradition of buying “Ore banana & groundnut”. It is a tradition that was passed down to me and will be passed down to the generations yet unborn.
After about 12 hours traversing through different states, I was warmly ushered into the welcoming arms of my lovely village. Seeing families and friends brought lots of joy. The next day, my Christmas was officially about to begin. I had to catch up on old friends where we reminisced on how we used to go to the “Iyi” (local stream) to fetch water, play in the water and whatnots.

I also had the opportunity of attending 2 very important ceremonies in 2 different villages which for me were the highlights of my Christmas holiday.
The first ceremony, a friend invited me to attend the “Eri gwara” (which literarily means “Eating back”) ceremony where the whole indigenes of that community come together to celebrate amidst cheers and excitement. There were different foods and drinks on display. “Trust me I no de carry last when it comes to food”.

The other ceremony was the “Iwa akwa” ceremony (which means “Cloth wearing”). It is also a popular tradition in that community, and it is mandatory for all boys within a certain age bracket to do it at some point in their lives. The ceremony is all about transitioning to “Maturity” i.e from being a “boy” to a “man”. I ensured I took part (as on observer though) in the events starting from the previous night where all the young men would go from compound to compound collecting their “rights” and then to the day of the event proper. The main event begins with the young men (the candidates) clothed in elegant wrappers holding a whistle & staff dancing from their houses to the market square alongside their families and friends. Upon getting to the market square they will dance amongst other activities and then head back to their homes where they will entertain their guests.

After the whole Christmas festivities, it was time to get back to reality and plan how the new year will go. Top on my to-do list is to acquire some certifications in the following fields cloud computing, business analytics, and cloud storage. I am also hoping to switch jobs, learn a new language (French) and read books on how to be a topnotch consultant.
It was painful that a supposed long holiday suddenly had to come to an end, January 3rd saw me return to base and officially start the new year. First day at work had me fiddling with the computer in my workspace not remembering exactly how to do my job again (blame it on the Eri-gwara & Iwa-akwa hangovers). Did I enjoy my Christmas holiday? I certainly did.
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by eloyce(f): 5:13pm On Jan 13, 2020
How I spent my last holiday and my goals for 2020

Service year progressed so fast and I was yet to check a whole lot on my to-do list especially the part of visiting new places and trying out fun stuff. The forthcoming holidays seemed like the perfect opportunity to realise these. If only I knew what was about to hit me. My boss at the office who has time and again proven to be an accomplished sadist issued a memo stating that corps members in the organisation do not have her permission to travel for the holidays until the 23rd of December as she intends to issue the clearance forms which was to be used for January biometrics on that day and also mandated us to report back on the 6th of January. This inconsiderate act of hers, not minding there are those who would be travelling long distance further intensified my dislike towards her.

I was filled with so much vexation as I sat in the bus enroute home on the 24th. Feeling bad that I could have been home earlier to enjoy mommy's delicacies which I have missed for so long as well as catch up on gists from my sisters as e dey hot. There I was on the eve of Christmas, missing out on the preparations and fun stuff happening at home, cramped in some overloaded bus. Obviously pissed at the universe and the nice gentleman sitting beside me who had just refused to mind his business and let me brood in peace.

I have met a good number of "never give ups " but Dave, as he told me is his name was certainly "one of his kind". This young man no gree ooh, he kept going on about how I needed to cheer up and get in the jolly mood of Christmas, how I wasn't supposed to allow present circumstances ruin my happiness and the most heartwarming of his "unsought sermons" was that "I could've had life treat me worse but it never came to that". This one struck me hard, coming from a stranger who did not have the slightest inkling about what was eating me up. Truly the past months that year had been challenging but I never had it worse. I gave a genuine smile for the first time in days and resolved to be more cheery.

The family was so excited to have me home at long last. Everyone was complaining on how much weight I had lost and trust mommy to be the head of that committee. She literally fed me a full month's meal that night alone. Dad wanted us to visit the village the next day which was Christmas and knowing my old man well enough, he just wanted to push his luck at showing off his Angels in human form. But that was a decision we all had beforehand That there would be no going to the village to suffer from boredom and possible depression, no thanks to the terrible network coverage and the fact that we would be confined indoors since we did not like going out whenever we visited that part of the country. Dad was forced to travel alone anyways while the rest of us remained in town. We attended the ever joyful Christmas service that morning, returned home to a well prepared meal and by evening we decided to sit out and catch up on individual experiences. The shocker that greeted us at the first eatery we entered cannot be narrated ooh so I'll just continue with my gist. We tried five other places but with the crowd and shoving right from the door, one would think the market location was changed. My brother managed to get in at the fifth place, got us plates of ice cream and snacks and we made our way back home, we cannot come and kill ourselves ontop Christmas outing abeg.

Dave called me on the 27th, he had promised me a surprise treat. He requested that I be up and ready as early as 7am but I thought he must've been joking. My phone rang by 6:30am, he was in front of my gate. I ran out to confirm, it was true. Hurriedly had a bath, dressed up and went out to meet him. I asked where we was headed and he simply said " to visit a new place and try out a new thing". That's how this young man took me all the way to PH city, made me try out swimming both of which were first time experiences and hosted me to a really amazing treat. He dropped me off at home by past 10pm and mommy almost had my head on a stake but I jokingly told her "shebi she wanted me to settle down soon...na so e dey start naa".

Most of my siblings returned to base before the new year so it was just mommy, kiddo and I left at home. Dave also travelled to his village for the new year so I basically spent that day and subsequent days indoors. The joy of being with family had overwhelmed every other plan I had and this was enough to make me fulfilled.

I usually don't make resolutions for the new year and haven't been strategic enough to keep up with goals. But with my service year coming to an end in barely two months, I'm becoming scared of the challenges life will bring my way. Among the goals I couldn't check in my service year to-do list as a result of laziness and procrastination was having a target savings, taking a professional course, sending out applications for jobs and scholarship programs. I however plan to do better and follow through on these goals, this year 2020.

3 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 2:14am On Jan 14, 2020
Get Started and Start Earning. Call. 08169786019 for more information.

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Omawumi17(f): 3:08am On Jan 14, 2020
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAY AND MY GOALS FOR THE NEW YEAR 2020
Firstly, I want to appreciate God almighty for the opportunity to see a brand new year and I pray this year should favour us in all good aspect of our lives amen. I wish you all a prosperous New year 2020...
My holiday started from November when I travelled home to visit my momma. I missed that woman so much that I was really nervous on my way. I decided to surprise her with my visit by not telling her the exact day I was coming. But on getting to the market bus stop I had to call her because I was not sure if she was at home or at the market. The house keys spoiled my lil surprise package... I met her at home and you can imagine the shock and surprise on her face... Momma was so so happy to See Me... Sweet momma.! We talked about everything like as if we have not seen each other for years. Then she told me she was coming. Where are you going? I asked, "mon bo Jare" she replied ( Am coming). Guess what! My momma killed a whole Chicken for me! Her precious chickens! Am sure you must be wondering that shebi its ordinary chicken that she killed for you, what's the big deal? My dear, it is a big deal! Let me tell you a lil bit about my momma
Sweet momma! Abiamo toto. Wura,world best momma in the whole world.. My mum is the most generous and kind hearted woman I have ever seen.. She can give up her everything but her chickens for her kids... Momma owns a small community of chickens... She doesn't joke with them... She doesn't sell them neither does she eat them... Her love for them will not allow her to kill them... So for her to kill one of them because of me is a really big deal... We could not kill it, so we called a neighbor to assist us. Then she prepared the tastiest soup I have tasted in a while.. I wonder how she prepares her soup... No matter how hard I try, my stew doesn't taste as tasty as her own... I guess it has to do with experience and then she talked about knowing the right portion of pepper,tomatoes and onions to blend... I tire for her Jare... I ate amala with ewedu and enough chicken...

The period I stayed with her was one of the best moments of my life... I enjoyed every bit of my stay there... From cooking with firewood to eating on the bare floor to eating freshly harvested vegetables, correct stew, in fact it was fun filled... Oh! I have not talked about my two naughty siblings, mommy's last born and grand child.. Then my holiday diary is not complete without mentioning those two naughty kids..
Let's call them Tom and Jerry! Because they fight every second. Tom is momma first grandson, that boy is the most naughty lil boy I know.. He can worry for Africa but he is such a nice boy.. He is caring but doesn't like staying at home... He also play a lot and bed wets like no other.. He has a small corner around the room where momma place his bed and waterproof blanket for wee wee. He also hate wearing slippers but he is a really nice and generous lil boy..

The second person Jerry is the last born of the house... Momma had her 12yrs after our original last born.. She is 8yrs old but has the brain of an 18yrs old... She is a chatterbox but at the same time fun to be with... Jerry is super intelligent, the smartest lil girl I know... She was on scholarship last term. Within two days, she has told me about everything that happened while i was away.. She has a retentive memory and can narrate an event scene by scene but she is lazy. I mean very lazy but I like am like that . They are the people keeping momma company. I can't even imagine momma's life without those two...
During my stay with momma, I could not go out very much because I was The one helping to stay at home and manage her business at home.. She sells food items and also has a grinding mill and firewood.. She also sells farm produce at the market on market days.. So I was mostly indoors browsing on my phone... The only time i went out was the day I went to momma younger sister's place at a nearby community. I went on a Sunday with Jerry... Momma younger sis is the opposite of her... She is a fashionista and a party rocker, while momma is reserved, hates owanbe and the likes. I met her making her hair in front of get shop.. I remember during my elder sis wedding last year. She was complaining of serious headache, she could not concentrate, momma was even scared that maybe something bad wants to happen only for her to remove her gele, if I am not exaggerating, the Brazilian wool she used to make her hair style will be up to 15 if not more so you can imagine the kind of hairstyle she was making that day.. She welcomed us with peppered spaghetti, that spagetti was prepared with pepper and peppered with pepper. I am still recovering from the effect of that pepper. I managed to eat some while Jerry finished everything. Original Yoruba gal! Then later, we ate efo elegusi with pounded yam. The food was so tasty that I ate two wraps of pounded yam.. I hear weeeeeeen the next day with peppered purging...
While we were going home, she packed foodstuff that can feed us for a whole year for us to take home.. I don't want to remember the bike man that broke the keg of palm oil and made me go through so much stress that day...

However,my honeymoon holiday was cut short by my SIL that gave birth to a bouncing baby girl on December 18...So I had to rush back to my base two days to the naming ceremony. The day I was leaving was so emotional, momma could not witness my departure so she left for the market earlier than usual.. As for Tom and Jerry, awww!!! They cried like... I could not concentrate through out that day and I wish we can live together like before... But guess what! I am back home again, my elder sis gave birth to a bouncing baby boy but momma is not around so I am the one taking care of tom and jerry...

My goals for the new year is to acquire a skill, go into part time farming in partnership with momma, roundup my degree program and hopefully go for Service by November.. I also want to start a small business if I get capital and lastly become a better version of my humble self.

# Vision 2020

Omawumi17

2 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Gracey259(f): 7:22am On Jan 14, 2020

3 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Ibra010: 8:52am On Jan 14, 2020
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAYS AND MY GOALS FOR 2020.

I was forced into Nursing, it was never my calling. I tried to fail out of Nursing School countless times but it didn't just work out. Series of prayers from home and my “follow-come uburu akwukwo” (intelligence) won't just let that happen. I forged ahead praying and hoping that one day I will come to love this noble profession, and I did. I am proud to be a Nurse. It couldn't have been any better.

As a student Nurse, I was used to 3 weeks holidays every year, so I never payed much attention to holidays. My last holiday was great. I spent it in the hospital as usual. We celebrate every festive period with our patients.

I rounded up my Nursing Council exam way before the holiday period. I had a short spell of great time with my family, which I can't trade for anything before I resumed for my post council posting in one hospital close to Aso Rock. I resumed some few days after my mates did, and that gave me a very cheap popularity. My presence was much anticipated by the Head Of Nursing Unit and all other associated "in-charges". I was given a punishment of serving night duty for 7days without any off. Normally, l was supposed to have a week off. However, I accepted and started my night duty in good fate.

I enjoyed every bit of it. I worked with a very unique matron who is dramatic, sagacious and weird.
Few days to the completion of my night duty, something very lovely happened. At around 11:50pm, we got a call from the theatre that we have a patient in the recovery room. I went to pick a pretty woman in obvious pain - severe pain. Throughout that night, she was very restless. Her husband was running up and down for her post operative drugs and items. I decided to stay with her as I talked to her while trying to calm her. I gave her mild analgesic as she was on blood transfusion and can't take a strong one. She couldn't recognize me, but in her mild consciousness, she knew someone was with her. I put her to sleep. I felt very fulfilled. Morning came, I rounded up duty.

Next night, as I resumed, I went to her bed side to greet her. She was much better. She looked at me and said, “someone was with me last night. I can't remember who she was. Her hair was packed in a mickey mouse style”. Meanwhile I have packed my hair in a different style. She continued saying, “I have asked my husband to look for her, he said she has gone. Please, I haven't seen a Nurse like that before. Are you the one?”
I smiled and replied, “I am the one Aunty.”
I have never felt so proud as a Nurse.Till she was discharged, she was all over me. I came around, gisted with her and we had so much fun.

I was so happy I touched someone's life and made her see nurses as awesome souls.
She couldn’t forget me so soon as she kept contact with me through calls. I feel so important and unique around her. She became a very special part of me.

I finished my night duty, and resumed in the clinic the next day. But, I was so surprised that the nurses that had an encounter with me in my previous ward spoke on my behalf and I was being relieved 3hours before the normal end of duty. I was very happy that I was good enough to be solicited for.

25th December met me in GOPD, when others were eating chicken in their various houses. I ended my holiday and posting in an antenatal clinic the next week. I had so much fun that can last me a life time - the drama with the pregnant women, the lovely nurses, and midwives I worked with. Everything was just so sweet.

I started my posting on a bad note, and ended as the best "Student Nurse"
I was made “Head Of Unit baby”. All the nurses that I worked with just couldn’t stop loving me.
My passion for Nursing spiked.

I want to be the best Nurse that I can be in 2020...Touching lives in every way that I can.

6 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Petitequeen(f): 9:33am On Jan 14, 2020
Beautiful

1 Like

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by emmanuelsea(m): 10:10am On Jan 14, 2020
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAYS AND MY GOALS FOR 2020

A quote from Elbert Hubbard, a seasoned artist, salesman and philosopher aptly captures my holiday experience. "No man needs a holiday so much as the man who just had one." How I wish everyday was a holiday! This is because each holiday affords me not only the opportunity to spend quality time with friends, family and acquaintances, but also an avenue to take good care of myself and ultimately plan for the future, especially the long anticipated New Year.

As a sharp job seeker new to the labour market, I'd embarked on getting certified in specific employability skills, hence my holiday started immediately after graduating from a renowned graduate finishing academy here in Nigeria. Having relocated to my aunt's place due to its proximity to industries so I could seamlessly apply for jobs as well as escape most nitty-gritties of Lagos traffic, the thought of having a holiday became almost inevitable.

I am going to give an account on how I spent my holidays and state clearly my goals for the New Year. By the way, my holiday was splendid and unique since I spent a lot of time with loved ones and had an adventurous experience at a semi-regimented camp.

On the first Saturday of December, 2019 I paid a surprise visit to my family house located around the outskirts of Lagos, where I began my holiday. It had been a long time since I visited, so at the cool of the evening I arrived home like a thief in the night. My brother and dad weren't expecting any visitor at that time; they had no choice but to welcome me anyway. But this was not done without a stern admonition to always inform them before visiting next time, I sheepishly obliged.

Interestingly, my family house, fondly called a farm-house because of my dad's preference for farming. Thus, fruits and vegetables were always at my beck and call. I can never forget the moment I almost gobbled up a full bunch of bananas. It was so succulent and filling.

I've always admired my dad whenever he works on the farm. Though in his seventies, he still exudes the strength of a youth. Since I was around, I had to lend a helping hand; I didn't find this easy as I was still a novice farmer. Nevertheless, "if my father could do it at his age I too should be able to do it", I thought. I singlehandedly harvested some crops (yams, bananas, plantains and vegetables) which we sold to various calibre of customers. How weary I was after the day's work, that I imagined how farmers generally coped with their faming routine, especially those without modernised farming equipment and technology.

Above all, my stay became much more interesting when my elder brother who had migrated abroad (in search of greener pastures) for over twelve years put a call through to my dad and announced his arrival to Nigeria. For a moment my joy knew no bound, I was so startled that I started counting my chicks before they are hatched. I dreamt about spending foreign currency to upgrade my status after all this years of economic hardship. Little did I know that reverse was the case. When he eventually arrived, after exchanging pleasantries coupled with further enquiry, he briefly narrated his ordeal, it then dawned on me that travelling abroad do not necessarily guarantee success and wealth, therefore we could only but thank God for preserving his life and bringing him back from Europe safe and sound in spite of the turbulence he encountered.

Suddenly, my stay at my family house came to a climax when I received a short text message that could shape my career for good. On this fateful day, it was past twelve noon already when the rapturous beep from my phone announced the arrival of NDLEA aptitude test scheduled for the first day of the forth coming week at a popular examination centre which was a stone throw from my aunt's residence. Without further ado, I quickly browsed through Nairaland to source for more information and past questions; I packed my belongings and journeyed back to my aunt's residence where I did my final preparation. Getting to the venue for the test, it was like a "mini-reunion". I came in contact with old friends and former colleagues who were also competing for the job. Most importantly, I met a couple of new friends who in their selflessness shared various ideas and hints which increased my confidence for the overrated test. As a matter of fact the crowd was nothing to write home about. Notwithstanding, I was able to attempt all questions within the stipulated time even though some of the questions were daunting in nature and "only a genius would be able to answer them correctly within the short period of time given", I reasoned.

Not long after, I spent the latter part of my holidays at a camp. It was December and a fast rising Pentecostal Church in Nigeria was organising a retreat. I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea camping for five days as long as it was for a worthy cause. Most notably was the fact that I'd been an active member of the church at my current location, thus getting enlisted into the camp's workforce wasn't as difficult as envisaged. I was privileged to make a choice on what section of work to join at the camp. Once again as a sharp guy who doesn't joke with his appetite, I swiftly chose the food server's section with immediate alacrity before the number of slots available get exhausted (I cannot come and dull myself). Although serving was fraught with its peculiar challenges, it however guaranteed me sumptuous delicacies all through and gave me access to many facilities that ordinarily would have been impossible.

In fact, not only did I serve tables at the camp, I was also drafted as a teacher during the youth Bible study session which occurred forty minutes each day. At first I demurred, but then finally agreed to teach. It was my debut as a Bible study teacher at a camp, so one may feel that I would be a little anxious, however I was unperturbed, "since teaching had always been my hobby, this shouldn't be a big deal", I reasoned again. Of the three times I taught the first seemed to be the most complicated. It all started when the hall was partitioned into different classes. To my utter astonishment, I was allocated to a class which comprised of girls only. After observing my audience, without wasting time the moderator gave permission to start (as if he wanted me to be caught off guard), so I was unable to request for a change of class. I then began to demystify the subject matter in an interactive manner, while I simultaneously perused through my audience, alas, the irresistible tempter surfaced: I sighted a particular good looking girl staring enticingly towards my direction. Indeed, I was almost beguiled by her charming beauty. Fortunately, I didn't shoot any shot. Perhaps I didn't want my case to be a replica of the ordeal of Samson with Delilah. Nevertheless, everything went as planned. And on New Year's Eve, the thunderous voice of the senior pastor who uttered prophetic declarations ushered me into the New Year.

On account of my goals for 2020, my holiday period gave me the best opportunity to take stock of my life and plan for a better future. Hence, my main goal for 2020 is simply to massively improve upon myself in virtually all areas of my life as well as impact the lives of others positively. This I intend to achieve by:
1. Spending quality time in God's presence and pleasing Him;
2. Exercising daily so as to stay healthy and become stronger as I grow older;
3. Getting my dream job by following up on all pending job applications, networking, acquiring more skills and certifications where necessary and applying for more jobs;
4. Starting a side hustle in photography by volunteering as an intern in order to gather more experience and exposure;
5. Working towards furthering my education abroad;
6. Helping people as much as possible in my own little way, and
7. Finding a compatible help meet so as to settle down in the coming year(s).

Overall, there wasn't any dull moment. Even though it wasn't as exhilarating as skydiving or taking a tour to see the wonders of the world, I enjoyed every bit of my holidays. As a result, unlike previous years I've been able to start the year 2020 on an all time high, leaving my comfort zone and without mincing words, I'm on track to achieving my goals for the year.

Written from a photo studio where I'm currently undergoing an internship programme in photography.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by MoonWater: 11:48am On Jan 14, 2020
neo2smart:

How I Spent My Holidays And My Goals For 2020
than me with about ten years or so, still .
I like your user name except you are not so smart... Upvoting your own post and redacting other posters.... That's not so smart...
Haba We have all been on nairaland long enough now.

9 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by ZzZzzzzzzzzzzzz: 2:40pm On Jan 14, 2020

The holidays are here and gone so fast like the wind, but the memories are hard-hammered events because each day was beautiful. The sweetness of seasons, nature and people.

I got my holiday's memo late on a snow-cold Thursday. I wasn't expecting the school management to be kind enough to me with a Christmas break. Even though the break was for all staff, I felt like I was singled out a "golden grain" to enjoy Christmas and New Year. That was on the 14th of December in Pankshin, Jos.

You should know how the cold is, teeth shake like buildings in an earthquake. I tried to make sure my legs didn't crumble like a "pack of Cabin biscuits".

Dressed in four Sweatshirt like an onion, I headed to our HR's office. I needed to ask Mr John, my Church member and friend ballistic questions. But I looked like a man headed to the moon. Of course, I was headed to the HR's office and it had a moons touch; grey beyond grey, an endless room filled with books and signatures inked beyond my birth. 'Teachers come and teachers go'. embarassed

"Alani, what are you doing at work today? Did you not get the memo yesterday? " Mr John said with a raised eyebrow.
"Oh! The holidays have started, am I getting paid my two months areas?", I replied.

Mr John looked at me with scorn and giggled. "John what do you need money for?" I took that as a rhetorical question and didn't respond. I stood akimbo, legs crossed and my right hand on his table, I stared at him.

He laughed and assured the alerts for the month unpaid will soon start rolling in. His response was not assuring, and in fact, it made my tummy grumble "a mad monster", or was it hunger? grin grin

When I got home, I surf the Internet for places I could go and catch fun. I found Kurra Falls. This man-made water fall lays at the East of Barkin Ladi along Jos - Pankshin. I did OPay estimation cost of 77 kilometers southeast of JOS and planned visiting on December 21st.

On the morning of 16th December, my phone's incoming message tone woke me up. I had waved it off as another Airtel whatsapp TV messages and my bed was warming my back with insurmountable warmth. I curled my legs up under the Duvet like a baby in the mothers womb, then held my head warmer tightly to cover my earlobes.

Another alert came through and the sound of the phone was synonyms to Angel Michael's end of time trumpet. I moved ferociously and grabbed the phone. Then I saw what will keep me awake from sleep all through the day; my two months arrears.

I was the luckiest man in the Universe, I am not exaggerating. I anticipated day break as a groom awaits his bride. And when it finally came, I took a taxi to Chifun goat market. I bought a goat whose horns were the size of United States twin towers. Everyone that saw the goat would argue it was a Ram.

I had trouble dragging my friend home; a goat as stubborn as a goat, "oh a goat will always be stubborn". It pegged it two frontal legs forward in defiance and it's bald knees was shiny like a silver shield.
"We will go home together today either you like it or not ". I said, pointing at the goat with a determined squeezed face.

The rope tied too it's neck was dangling in my hand but I knew if I released it, I might have to chase it till Christ comes back. I know Christ will not be happy I didn't use the goat to celebrate his birth if it escaped.

I finally got a bike to transport me from Kara to Kuru at one thousand Naira.
On the 21st of December, I suggested to my neighbor we go to Kurra Falls.
When we got there, it was green beyond greens and water upon waters, a touch of gentle shrubs and domineering trees with wide expansive leaves. They reminded me of how grandpa stretches his hands from the pulpit to pray. I miss the old man.

As we proceeded, we came across a stream so pure the stones beneath looked like Sapphire. The fishes were big and swam with confident fins. I wanted to catch one with bare hands when the man in charge shouted at me, "No! No! No! Please, don't deep your hands in the water! " I didn't even know there was a barrier meant to keep guests some feet away but here I am, some hands deep in the water.

My neighbor threw his mango shaped head backwards as he had a wild laughter. I imagined he wanted the sun to wash his teeth.

We sat and discussed sports and football. I ordered for a well garnished Suya and we ate. It was Christmas in the air all through, and I must say, JOS is a cold beautiful state.

So I have decided my goals for 2020 is to travel and explore other states instead of JOS alone. I have never been to Lagos before, so I have made it part of my 2020 goals to visit Lagos.

2020, I am checking my association. Every man is a product of his company. You company will either make or Mar you. This year, friendship is not by force.
I have come to realize some people's blessing would have reached them but the company they keep deny them of it.

This 2020, I have decided to value what I have. I need to start placing value on what I have rather that chasing an opportunity that doesn't exist.
I plan to improve in my teaching by tolerating the defiant students too. wink wink

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by ifyalways(f): 3:06pm On Jan 14, 2020
Following smiley

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by neo2smart: 4:48pm On Jan 14, 2020
MoonWater:
I like your user name except you are not so smart... Upvoting your own post and redacting other posters.... That's not so smart...
Haba We have all been on nairaland long enough now.
I really do not know what to say to you. However, i won't stoop low to your level as to exchange insults with you as I'm trying to be better this year.

The owner of this thread is the deciding factor. It is upto to her to select the stories that appeals to her and not the "likes" on my post that's already threatening you.

You should concentrate more on writing a good story...it would do you more good.

8 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 14, 2020
kweke! E don reach the level of quarrel?? Lol

This one na battle to finish.

Who pays you 10k for a content of 1,000 words these days, especially now that freelance services just got cheaper with everyone now becoming a content writer?

The last content job I did, it was N20k for 20,000 words, that's 1naira per word (some rates are terrible, as low as 50kobo per word). Now compare that with 10k for 1,000 words grin that's 10 naira per word... olye money

That explains the gbas gbos..

2 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by sampete(m): 5:31pm On Jan 14, 2020
Omawumi17:
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAY AND MY GOALS FOR THE NEW YEAR 2020
You need to modify your post...nice story, but kinda hard to read. What it needs is space in between your paragraphs.

1 Like

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 14, 2020
1stHooligan:

"Awol is blood and blood is Awol"

This one strong o grin Whichever way is a way...

Salute to you oga soldier! I bring greetings all the way from Iran wink

If this story isn't fiction, I wish and pray God grant you your heart desires...

I remember those years I had fantasies of joining the army, but now ehn, abeg, ayam not doing again. I want DSS cry
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 14, 2020
Ibra010:
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAYS AND MY GOALS FOR 2020.

E be like say I go reset my goals for this year to include: finding a nice and caring nurse like this person smiley In this naija, the demand for nice and caring nurse is more than the supply. shocked

1 Like

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by sampete(m): 6:04pm On Jan 14, 2020
NosaJBourne:

E be like say I go reset my goals for this year to include: finding a nice and caring nurse like this person smiley In this naija, the demand for nice and caring nurse is more than the supply. shocked
Bro, please stop quoting full posts.
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by sampete(m): 6:11pm On Jan 14, 2020
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAY AND MY GOALS FOR 2020

Is Time the wheel that turns, or the track it leaves behind?
-Kelstar's Riddle

Sometimes, it seemed that my life was slowly disappearing behind me, fading like footprints in the rain. I lay abed that December morning listening to the small sounds that sometimes brought me peace. Outside my window, birds sang their challenges to one another. There was a light wind, and whenever it stirred the trees, they released a fresh shower of last night's rain to patter on the wet sand. The airy foliage of the trees cast a pleasant light shade outside my bedroom window. I closed my eyes and could almost feel the flicker of the light on my eyelids. I would not get up, not just yet...my phone shrilly rang out.

My moment of peace and tranquility was rudely cut off. I reluctantly picked up the phone and answered the call.

"Hello Sammy" Sandra piped out in her sultry voice.

" Hello dear, good morning and how was your night?"

"Good morning, my night was fine. I just want to confirm if you are still coming over to visit me today."

"Of course, I'm getting ready now." I replied.

The call went on for about 5 minutes. I met Sandra on Facebook three months ago, and we clicked. So we made arrangements for me to spend the Christmas holiday with her in Lagos. An hour later, i was ready to begin my journey to Lagos. I was soon at God is good park, where i bought a bus ticket to Lagos. I was seated close to a fair skin lady, She is beautiful, friendly and jovial. She got me talking to her in no time. Her name is Helen, turns out she is a graduate of university of Benin, my Alma mater.

Helen and I exchanged phone numbers before we went our separate ways when we got to Lagos. I called Sandra and she told me to come wait for her at somewhere called Constain in Lagos. I called her when I got there and she came to meet me. From there she took me to her place at Ajegunle. To describe where Sandra stays as a "place" is well above exaggeration. The house was so dilapidated and so were the house around. To exacerbate matters, I could see tough, rough weed smoking guys and babes moving about, mostly half naked. I was scared.

'What have I gotten myself into' I thought in my mind.

Sandra was very cordial with these gents and ladies as she was vociferously hailing them in their street parlance while I kept mum. First hint of trouble came when one of the gents in his 'agbero' voice called me out.

"You no sabi greet? Abi you think say you big pass us?" His eyes were bloodshot when he turned them at me.

"Senior man, no be so. I was just about greeting you" I replied.

"Shut up there! Your fada! Who you dey speak English to, abi you wan tell us say you go school abi"

This is so not going well, I thought.

"Bros no vex, I dey sorry" I replied while hoping to calm him down. Meanwhile, Sandra just stood there, saying nothing, doing nothing while this antagonistic confrontation was going on. A thought came to my mind, 'could this be a plan work?'

After all said and done, the guys obtained 4k from me. After which Sandra led me to her room. I was angry with her for not interfering and for the 4k loss. Her excuse was that she didn't want to have any issue with them. I calmed down after some time and then I told her that I no longer wish to stay with her as I don't feel safe. I begged her to take me to an hotel. She refused at first and then she agreed to take me to an hotel the next day on the condition that I spend the night with her. And so I agreed, if I had known...

We had a great night, quite enjoyable in fact despite my fears. However I did sleep with one eye opened.

Next day, 24th of December, I decided to take my bath that morning, so Sandra got a bucket of water for me and directed me to the shabby public bathroom. I took a Five minute quick shower and returned back to Sandra's room only to see my stuffs have been ransacked and lying about on the floor. I quickly rushed to my bag, praying and hoping my money was still there. No Money! 30k gone! I quickly looked around for my phones...saw just one, my small Nokia touch light. My android phone was no where to be found. I was perplexed and confused.

Sandra was no where to be found.

I calmly returned my clothes back inside my bag and waited for Sandra. She walked in few minute later. And I told her calmly what has happened. She flamed up, shouting at me, claiming I was at fault. I was shocked. I was scared to attract notice, so I told her it's okay. Told her I was leaving that morning, she was angry. She even refused to see me off. I left, got a bike outside her house which took me to a bank where I made a withdrawal at the ATM point. Thank God I was with my ATM. From the bank, I got directions to a decent hotel, paid for a room and remain indoor for the rest of the day counting my blessings. Sandra didn't even bother to call or know my whereabouts.

Next day was Christmas day. Got a text from Helen, the lady I met on the bus. She wished me a merry Christmas. I called her and she picked up on first ring, as if she was expecting my call. She felt bad when I told her about my ordeal. Then she stylishly said she wanted to invite me over to her place to help her eat the fried rice, pounded yam and `efo riro she prepared, but that she doubts I'm going to come considering what I just went through.

Two hours later, I was swallowing pounded yam with `efo riro garnished with plenty of bushmeat at a nice apartment in Ikorodu, Helen's place. Later that evening, Helen won't allow me return to my hotel, she felt staying in an hotel for more than a night is excessive and a waste of money. She offered to let me spend the rest of the holiday with her. I accepted. I'm writing from her place now. Would be leaving for my station tomorrow. So far so good, Helen and I are doing great. She is fun, jovial, funny and very companionable. She is a great cook, one of the reasons I'm reluctant to leave. She has taken me touring around Lagos, to clubs and other hangouts and she handles the bills most of the time. As for Sandra...

I just have two goals for this new year, first is to improve on myself, in terms of acquiring new IT related skills. Second, I'm working towards getting married before the end of this year. I'm not getting younger.

10 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 14, 2020
sampete:
Bro, please stop quoting full posts.

Modified

I guess bros is scared his post might go unnoticed... lol
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 14, 2020
sampete:
HOW I SPENT MY HOLIDAY AND MY GOALS FOR 2020

Is Time the wheel that turns, or the track it leaves behind?

loading: ...12%....

fire on
Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by 1stHooligan(m): 7:06pm On Jan 14, 2020
NosaJBourne:

If this story isn't fiction, I wish and pray God grant you your heart desires...

I remember those years I had fantasies of joining the army, but now ehn, abeg, ayam not doing again. I want DSS cry
hey bro, I am glad you read my essay. It's real life bro.

That being said, I don't want to throw accusing fingers but moonwater has a point.

there is no rationality upvoting your post alternate monikers ... Try and be unique. Have fun and a nice life life

3 Likes

Re: Some Fun While Job Hunting by ayodijex(m): 7:07pm On Jan 14, 2020
He was beginning to outgrow the holidays, so he really had no butterflies in his stomach to wanting to have a feel of Christmas, or so he thought. Even his birthday in December, some days before Christmas was almost the one with the most unexciting excitement He has had in over two decades of his existence. It's not that he is Just ungrateful for being alive to witness another nor is it that he doesn't like the fact that the holiday brings family together, it was just a thing of feeling like any other transiting adult will feel, that is being more bothered about the next chapter of ones life.

Entering a new year hits different whenever you have no idea what the year holds for you. Don't get it wrong, we all don't know what the year holds for us, but some people have a feel of continuity in their careers, so they know they will probably be in the same company, the same shop, the same school(If you're a student) this time next year. But for a Nigerian youth who had just finished obeying the clarion call, the next phase of his life was just so cloudy that it clouded the clouds of the unsettled mind of the young man.

Such a man spends his holiday musing on opportunities around his reach, his favourite social media platform is gmail, not because of exciting credit alerts but just so he can check the notification therein for the newest opened job offer that is within his grasp from the job vacancy sites he subscribed to. He even used part of the holidays to see the best educational consulting institutes that offer professional courses in his field line just to have an edge in this job search. An MSc was also a thought line he didn't discard, in fact he thought all through the holidays how an overseas scholarship will be of massive help to him in his quest for a second degree.

Leaving out the fact that he couldn't kill a chicken during the holidays from this essay will definitely be good so that he doesn't expose himself to side giggles of this audience, how many of the readers can kill a chicken anyway?.

Set goals helps one with realigning and "checkmating" choices for the new year, that's why this Nigerian youth wants to make sure he doesn't have this same unexciting excitement come next holiday.

In all that must be achieved, a professional course is a must and whichever comes as a better choice between and MSc and a good job is welcomed, although the ultimate goal is to run the MSc with a job in hand.

This doesn't stop the fact that this youth will strive to become a better human because no matter how good one is, there is always room for improvement. And he is also determined that this is the year he becomes an expertise in an industry different from his present construction one he prides in.

With the highest hopes and and an optimistic mind coupled with the willingness to put efforts, these goals will be scored and the next holidays will be for the jubilation.

This Nigerian youth is Ajao, this Ajao is me, this is how I spent my last holiday and those are my goals for 2020.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (68) (Reply)

Federal Airports Authority Of Nigeria Recruitment 2015 / Lagos State Teachers Recruitment 2019 - 2020 (How To Apply) / Total E&P Limited - 2019 Recruitment (many Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 320
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.