Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,718 members, 7,813,365 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically (31999 Views)

Obi Brilliantly Answering Question About Corruption / Gumi To Buhari: Stop Talking About Corruption, Tell Nigerians Your Achievements / Atiku Is A Case Study On Corruption In USA By Homeland Security. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by vezycash(m): 9:35am On Apr 30, 2019
Rossikk:
Who is HE to talk about corruption in Nigeria??

He should ask his fellow British colonisers what they did with all the billions of pounds they made from 1897 to 1960, exporting our cocoa, rubber, tin, palm oil, groundnuts, coal, iron ore, timber, aluminium, etc etc, such that at independence in 1960 we were an underdeveloped bush with mass illiteracy, no major power station, no expressways, no major industry, and near zero infrastructure. In fact as late as the 1950s, our national football team travelled to England on a tour and played BAREFOOT because the colonial regime had starved them of basic funds for everything, and they'd never seen football boots...

The audacity of these people....

This sounds like, My grandfather was cheated by his employer, robbed multiple times of his little savings. His wife left him after his house burned down and his landlord was abusive.

Because of that, I wont get a job. I'll beg for arms. I'd sleep outside, won't build or rent house, won't marry. It's better for me to spend all my money on beer and asawo than to keep money for robbers to steal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Nobody: 9:35am On Apr 30, 2019
Citizen0:
You are a senseless idiot. People like you are the stagnant idiot's we have in this part of the world. Diversion from the main issue.

no am only playing tricks with the dumb heads kids on NAIRALAND AM A REVOLUTIONIST AND CORE IPOB
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by popsy2(m): 9:37am On Apr 30, 2019
Angelawhite:

So you buy a song , listen to it , and never listen again ?

Wrong analogy. This ain't a song. Besides, a song gets boring with repetition and that's why that big song of last year ain't trending no more. Dig ?
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by DipDap: 9:42am On Apr 30, 2019
Lol. This oyinbo's man suggestion is what I call Tinubu's Corruption... Lol..

nwabobo:
What's your take on this? I think the man is right on the buck.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2393830090628395&id=100000042835423
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Gmajor(m): 9:43am On Apr 30, 2019
Rossikk:

He should ask his fellow British colonisers what they did with all the billions of pounds they made from 1897 to 1960, exporting our cocoa, rubber, tin, palm oil, groundnuts, coal, iron ore, timber, aluminium, etc etc, such that at independence in 1960 we were an underdeveloped bush with mass illiteracy, no major power station, no expressways, no major industry, and near zero infrastructure. In fact as late as the 1950s, our national football team travelled to England on a tour and played BAREFOOT because the colonial regime had starved them of basic funds for everything, and they'd never seen football boots...

You can't blame the white man forever. Now that we're In charge if our own destiny, what have we done for ourselves

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 30, 2019
Rossikk:

Even if the brits never stole your billions, Nigeria will still not change, stop blaming them for our own fault. We own Nigeria not them, so we should not depend on them to fix Nigeria for us and our children.
My question is, what have we done with the abundant crude oil we currently have ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by orisa37: 9:53am On Apr 30, 2019
The Cabals are ruling Nigeria in the fashion of a Toll-gate economy.
Buhari is just a Figure-head. Osinbajo is somehow incapacitated and overpowered by the Cabals' security walls around him.
We have the Principles of good education but lack the Practice in application and decision making.
There is a lot of Truth in Gowon's Post late last year to Buhari on Corruption. The Cabal blocked the truth from the Figure-head.
OBJ is 82+. We may have to beg him back now for his third term.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by miketayo(m): 9:54am On Apr 30, 2019
Rossikk:

Really? But they've still got our billions of pounds (or trillions, considering it was a 70 year rule). Why should we forget that and ''move on"?

And now they're giving us advice? Dude please, don't annoy me this evening. The least they can do is STFU. They're in no position to criticise corruption in Nigeria while still holding on to their loot from this country.

If they return 5x this loot u spoke about to our Government, u still won't feel it's presence in the country not 1kobo will get to you, nor to the economy. So what exactly is annoying you ?
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by musicwriter(m): 9:57am On Apr 30, 2019
British people don't know the damage they've done to people in their former colonies. Your ancestors came to a land and gave them a new language, education, new God. And you expect those people to act normal?

How would we act normal with an imposed mentality? This's particularly interesting to me because once I researched the cause of our problem in Africa, I realized it wasn't corruption so I stopped blaming corruption. We're operating on a wrong frequency as a people. In fact, if you abruptly stop corruption for a month, Nigeria would stop working for a while until the new mentality is absolved.

Corruption is merely a by-product of wrong language, wrong education, wrong God. The colonized nations are now disoriented population acting against their own interest. That's why corruption and, in fact, all other problems. See book on my signature.

Now, I am not saying the message is wrong. Indeed, the message is right!. Neither am I blaming white people for our own inability today to clean up the mess. While the message is right but the messenger is wrong. Britain has no moral ground to talk about corruption in any of their former colony because corruption in Nigeria is traceable to them. This may be complicated for some to understand.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by miketayo(m): 9:57am On Apr 30, 2019
traihit:

I'm a Nigerian, and I'm so positive. It's true the crooks have spoilt the country but there's still hope if there's attitudinal change im the nook and cranny of the country.

There is no hope, unless there is a mass burial Nd a change of orientation for the little survivals. What is the probability of this happening?? Like 0.1%
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by luluosas(m): 10:00am On Apr 30, 2019
Just like Ganduje bribery scandals in Kano and work continues in the state with modern projects to its credit. In fact, he was reelected to continue that style of leadership
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by ruggedtimi(m): 10:03am On Apr 30, 2019
Rossikk:

If u check out structures built in old nigeria. Thats nigeria before independence you will know the british had plans for us. Look at south africa today because of whites are still involved in their economic and government the country is waxing in terms of development.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Ugosample(m): 10:06am On Apr 30, 2019
Rossikk:

You have started again undecided
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Ugosample(m): 10:13am On Apr 30, 2019
musicwriter:
British people don't know the damage they've done to people in their former colonies. Your ancestors came to a land and gave them a new language, education, new God. And you expect those people to act normal?

How would we act normal with an imposed mentality? This's particularly interesting to me because once I researched the cause of our problem in Africa, I realized it wasn't corruption so I stopped blaming corruption. We're operating on a wrong frequency as a people. In fact, if you abruptly stop corruption for a month, Nigeria would stop working for a while until the new mentality is absolved.

Corruption is merely a by-product of wrong language, wrong education, wrong God. The colonized nations are now disoriented population acting against their own interest. That's why corruption and, in fact, all other problems. See book on my signature.

Now, I am not saying the message is wrong. Indeed, the message is right!. Neither am I blaming white people for our own inability today to clean up the mess. While the message is right but the messenger is wrong. Britain has no moral ground to talk about corruption in any of their former colony because corruption in Nigeria is traceable to them. This may be complicated for some to understand.

You want to blame the foreigners for the foolishness of the African again?

una sef

The key problem is the MENTALITY that is prevalent In Africa which has always been there prior to European incursion and even after they packed their kaya and left

African man is a SHORT TERM thinker and does not plan for the future, from the family unit to the govt level
That is the problem we have always had.

If we can KILL that PROBLEM and we start planning LONG TERM You will see changes

when others are doing their thing, they take a long term perspective but Africans? undecided

Okay okonjo iweala came with that idea of a Medium Term Expenditure Framework.
The plan was to start from a three year framework, expand it to 5 then we can even do ten long into the future

What was the reception to that plan?
Do you hear anything about the MTEF today?
from tgr current bastard we have In aso rock?

Long term thinking /planning is key

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by 9jaRealist: 10:16am On Apr 30, 2019
jarkbauer:

Forget the messenger listen to the message

What exactly is the “message”?

That while we may have underachieved (not least because we are still trying to build a nation from the contraption that his British brethren saddled us with for their own administrative and economic convenience), we have still done much better than the British did in a century (i.e., 100 years) of colonial rule. Does the fat-faced jamoke grasp what it takes to dismantle the physical and economic infrastructure that was set up over a period of 100 years to serve his country, together with the coercive forces (police, etc.) oriented towards control and oppression of, rather than service to, the general population. Somebody should stick a pin into where his brain should be and let out some of that empty gas!
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by OBAGADAFFI: 10:17am On Apr 30, 2019
Rossikk:

But they still get thing done with their corruption.

What are we doing for ourselves.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by 9jaRealist: 10:19am On Apr 30, 2019
BTW, you criminal Britons did NOT rebuild Korea...
The Koreans led by Gen. Park (who you vilified as a dictator) did so themselves.

1 Like

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by 9jaRealist: 10:21am On Apr 30, 2019
OBAGADAFFI:

But they still get thing done with their corruption.

What are we doing for ourselves.

We are trying to build something resembling a cohesive nation from the gibberish contraption they saddled us with... undecided
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by HeyCorleone(m): 10:23am On Apr 30, 2019
Rossikk:

So? What's the essence of this write-up? Do you want to blame Britain for our present failure?

Every country, or state or empire has always sought to dominate in one form or the other. History bears witness to this. Even in precolonial Africa, nations and tribes have dominated others, and squandered their resources. It's nothing new. It didn't start with the British. It didn't end with them.

Almost 60 years after independence, what do we have to show for it? You don't understand that all the money made before 1960s by the whites is insignificant compared to our earnings from oil from 1960-2000. So why do we still blame the British? What exactly are we blaming them for? They took our resources abroad without us seeing the end, so? Didn't the succession of Military HOS between 1970-1998 squander your resources? Aren't they black men like you?

So what's the trend of always trying to bring the British into every discussion as if they are the reason you don't have light or good roads?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by booblacain(m): 10:23am On Apr 30, 2019
Rossikk:

They exploited you to build themselves, you exploit yourselves to destroy yourselves. Tell me, who is the fool here? The man was clear, he did not claim innocence, he simply said; everyone is corrupt, how you use the corruption is what makes the difference.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by musicwriter(m): 10:23am On Apr 30, 2019
Ugosample:

You want to blame the foreigners for the foolishness of the African again?

una sef

The key problem is the MENTALITY that is prevalent In Africa which has always been there prior to European incursion and even after they packed their kaya and left

African man is a SHORT TERM thinker and does not plan for the future, from the family unit to the govt level
That is the problem we have always had.

If we can KILL that PROBLEM and we start planning LONG TERM You will see changes

when others are doing their thing, they take a long term perspective but Africans? undecided

Okay okonjo iweala came with that idea of a Medium Term Expenditure Framework.
The plan was to start from a three year framework, expand it to 5 then we can even do ten long into the future

What was the reception to that plan?
Do you hear anything about the MTEF today?
from tgr current bastard we have In aso rock?

Long term thinking /planning is key

You're actually right on shortermism being our natural problem. I think Obasanjo warned Buhari sometime ago to beware of shortermism.

However, I wasn't blaming white people for that but for the additional mental damaging issues caused by new language, education, new God that they brought us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Stillthebest: 10:27am On Apr 30, 2019
popsy2:

You need to read about other African countries, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria etc. You need to see how the citizens take to the streets and not the internet.

Anyways, let us keep regurgitating same words our parents did. Our kids might actually do same aned the circle continues.

Take to the street and not the internet.... We are all guilty of that. I had been to the protest ground more than twice and met scanty number of people that later departed to their various locations because they all think the numbers were too little

1 Like

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Roh50(f): 10:28am On Apr 30, 2019
This is a valid point the man is raising. There is corruption everywhere but the work should be done. Collect the money even in doubles but give us the roads, power etc.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by booblacain(m): 10:29am On Apr 30, 2019
HeyCorleone:

So? What's the essence of this write-up? Do you want to blame Britain for our present failure?

Every country, or state or empire has always sought to dominate in one form or the other. History bears witness to this. Even in precolonial Africa, nations and tribes have dominated others, and squandered their resources. It's nothing new. It didn't start with the British. It didn't end with them.

Almost 60 years after independence, what do we have to show for it? You don't understand that all the money made before 1960s by the whites is insignificant compared to our earnings from oil from 1960-2000. So why do we still blame the British? What exactly are we blaming them for? They took our resources abroad without us seeing the end, so? Didn't the succession of Military HOS between 1970-1998 squander your resources? Aren't they black men like you?

So what's the trend of always trying to bring the British into every discussion as if they are the reason you don't have light or good roads?

Exactly. The "black man" will not dare to see that his shackles are self made, someone else has to be responsible.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by HeyCorleone(m): 10:30am On Apr 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

What exactly is the “message”?

That while we may have underachieved (not least because we are still trying to build a nation from the contraption that his British brethren saddled us with for their own administrative and economic convenience), we have still done much better than the British did in a century (i.e., 100 years) of colonial rule. Does the fat-faced jamoke grasp what it takes to dismantle the physical and economic infrastructure that was set up over a period of 100 years to serve his country, together with the coercive forces (police, etc.) oriented towards control and oppression of, rather than service to, the general population. Somebody should stick a pin into where his brain should be and let out some of that empty gas!

Now you're beginning to sound mad.

To say the British didn't do quality work in Nigeria is to tell a boldfaced lie. Read a book, ask old folks, research - Nigerians, before 1960, enjoyed a standard of living better than today. Far far far better. This is not to say that the British didn't exploit us, but there's nothing new about exploitation. It didn't start with the British. Even Nigerians, in those days, still exploited other Nigerians.

To say we learnt corruption from the British is to spite the black race as unintelligent beings who don't imbibe morals and good values. Blacks have always exploited each other. That was why they sold themselves as slaves. It's nothing new.

So stop sounding stupid and learn.

1 Like

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by popsy2(m): 10:34am On Apr 30, 2019
Stillthebest:

Take to the street and not the internet.... We are all guilty of that. I had been to the protest ground more than twice and met scanty number of people that later departed to their various locations because they all think the numbers were too little

You can do it solo and make headlines. Ezekwesili was doing that sometimes last year. Charly Boy too.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Ugosample(m): 10:37am On Apr 30, 2019
musicwriter:

You're actually right on shortermism being our natural problem. I think Obasanjo warned Buhari sometime ago to beware of shortermism.

However, I wasn't blaming white people for that but for the additional mental damaging issues caused by new language, education, new God that they brought us.
the world is a jungle
everyone is out to exploit the weak

A language was imposed on you, how is that a problem ?
there are African countries where you rarely hear people speak/understand English /French, YET are still shithole

Mali and some countries in the COMESA region comes to mind

about the education, I think we need to stop calling it 'western education" but formal education because that is what it is really. the education is an embodiment of the worjd knowledge put together, not just "western people"

That said, if Africans were serious, we should have adapted formal education to suit our needs
how hard can that be?
but then, black man is not interested

Why don't we have a physics curriculum in say igbo or Yoruba?
we might speak and be well educated in English; but we can design these I indigenous things to support(but hey, black man no send; he wants to enjoy; fvck his wife and go to sleep )
about the religion aspect, India was colonised and they NEVER see their religion as inferior
it id seen at par if not higher than others.

and the malevolent nature of these local religions sent people away from it too (Arusi et al)
Foreign religion is not our problem either
many south Koreans are now embracing Christianity

Africans in general ARE not serious people

Look around you, how many people ARE actively searching for knowledge and answers /solutions the way you do?
how many?
when you talk about things we have to change, how many even pay you audience?

That answers it...

And lastly, another damaging thing in Africa is the skewed risk reward system that us bizarre that has plagued Africa for centuries

if you are interested in knowing more, just indicate interest
I will drop it later in the day as I'm a big busy ATM

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Ugosample(m): 10:42am On Apr 30, 2019
SunnyskyTG:
What we need in Nigeria is Reorientation & Enlightenment.

I believe this generation have been prepared for that, Enlightenment. I believe this generation have been prepared for Success, just that the Cosmic dark forces wanna sway our attention off the Heavenly Success.

In case you don't know, the Revolution have started already. I am currently training a number of 15 Nigerians into Financial, Moral & Attitudinal Freedom. As this Nigerians are getting freed up, they'll be involving other Nigerians, Africans in the Freedom process.

Let a Nigerian out there remain Positive!

you have said it all in your first paragraph

2 Likes

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by uuzba(m): 10:50am On Apr 30, 2019
Earthquake3:
Nigerians like suffering
Each Nigerian does not like to suffer.
Each Nigerian wants the OTHER Nigerian to F**k off, Suffer and die.

-Oshimole: "Go and Die"
-Every Nigerian generator owner: "I better pass my neighbour"
-Some youth: "Warri no dey carry last"
-Church: Holy Ghost Fire, My Enemies must die. (Hatred for the OTHER person)
-Nairaland: "Thunder fire you there"

Each person wants to make it, BUT by STEPPING ON his neighbours head.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Angelfrost(m): 10:53am On Apr 30, 2019
So much wisdom from a foreigner. This is what I keep wondering... Corruption and crime are everywhere in the world, but what makes it horrendous here is that we deplete our resources, and use the stolen funds to directly or indirectly develop other nations via investment or bank deposits...
who did this to us? Now, everyone wants to run and over-populate those nations that wisely grew their economy even with corrupt funds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by 9jaRealist: 10:55am On Apr 30, 2019
HeyCorleone:

To say the British didn't do quality work in Nigeria is to tell a boldfaced lie. Read a book, ask old folks, research - Nigerians, before 1960, enjoyed a standard of living better than today. Far far far better. This is not to say that the British didn't exploit us, but there's nothing new about exploitation. It didn't start with the British. Even Nigerians, in those days, still exploited other Nigerians.

To say we learnt corruption from the British is to spite the black race as unintelligent begins who don't imbibe morals and good values. Blacks have always exploited each other. That was why they sold themselves as slaves. It's nothing new.

Exactly what “quality work” please?! shocked

Please let’s leave the beer-parlor recollections of old people who grew up under colonialism and were miseducated to equate white with godliness. After all, there are folks (starting with your current President) who thinks that Abacha was a great leader for Nigeria. Rather, let’s look at the facts - after a century of ruling Nigeria, the British did not establish a single university! And before you jump in with old folks’ foggy recollections, yes they did leave a university college or campus, that did not have a single program in engineering or medicine, and all those other disciplines that would be useful for a newly-independent developing nation (in contrast, within 2 years or thereabouts post-independence, Nigerians has established 4 first-rate universities for themselves).

The physical infrastructure was even more atrocious. Rail lines (that those old foggies probably will wax nostalgic about) rarely moved between population centers (except by mere coincidence) but primarily moved between the ports and the hinterland, for two basic reasons: (1) to move raw materials and minerals from the hinterland to the ports for export to the UK, and (2) to move imported UK goods from the ports to the captive Nigerian market (captive because in those days the present-day system of global trade was non-existent). What passed for “education” was merely the ability to read and write (and in those days much premium was placed on cursive handwriting) because the SOLE purpose of ‘educating’ Africans was to maintain control over the population, particularly keeping tax and other records.

Frankly, it would take a veritable dissertation to do justice to the subject matter (which no one obviously has the time for), but it is always disgusting whenever I hear/read any supposedly-educated Nigerian/African extol the purported virtues of colonialism - even including the folks who lived in GRINDING POVERTY in an effectively Apartheid system, complete with “European Quarters” and “European Clubs”! SMH

PS: Btw, perhaps you are confusing me with someone else, because I never said anything about the British teaching us corruption (albeit they are CRUCIAL co-conspirators/enable by omission or commission in lots of corruption perpetuated by the Nigerian political/elite class).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by uuzba(m): 11:00am On Apr 30, 2019
HeyCorleone:

To say we learnt corruption from the British is to spite the black race as unintelligent beings who don't imbibe morals and good values. Blacks have always exploited each other. That was why they sold themselves as slaves. It's nothing new.

The relative peace you see in Europe today, is after many years for fighting each other and killing each other.

Nigerians(Africans) simply haven't yet gotten to the point of accepting Christianity, Turning the other cheek, forgiveness, Love,....
Those Christian principles are not yet part of this culture, part of our language and TRADITION.
When a person speaks English, he can behave "Christian-like". The moment you engage the person in his native village tongue, All Christianity is thrown out of the window and the person changes to something else. No more Christian principles in his reasoning and logic.

We still focus on "My Prosperity" gospel. Hence, anyone opposing your prosperity must be destroyed and that is what we are doing to each other.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Orji Uzor Kalu Meets Babangida In Minna (Photos) / Should President Buhari Contest In 2019? Abuja Residents Share Their Opinions (v / Buhari Arrives In Osogbo For Osun APC Governorship Rally (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.