Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,671 members, 7,813,238 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically (31995 Views)

Obi Brilliantly Answering Question About Corruption / Gumi To Buhari: Stop Talking About Corruption, Tell Nigerians Your Achievements / Atiku Is A Case Study On Corruption In USA By Homeland Security. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Angelawhite(m): 11:02am On Apr 30, 2019
popsy2:

Wrong analogy. This ain't a song. Besides, a song gets boring with repetition and that's why that big song of last year ain't trending no more. Dig ?

And u fail to see the catch . You see ?
Your boring song is another person’s hit song and people still listen to songs from the 80’s
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by 9jaRealist: 11:07am On Apr 30, 2019
HeyCorleone:

Now you're beginning to sound mad.

To say the British didn't do quality work in Nigeria is to tell a boldfaced lie. Read a book, ask old folks, research - Nigerians, before 1960, enjoyed a standard of living better than today. Far far far better. This is not to say that the British didn't exploit us, but there's nothing new about exploitation. It didn't start with the British. Even Nigerians, in those days, still exploited other Nigerians.

To say we learnt corruption from the British is to spite the black race as unintelligent beings who don't imbibe morals and good values. Blacks have always exploited each other. That was why they sold themselves as slaves. It's nothing new.

So stop sounding stupid and learn.

And as for the personal insults, that’s just CHILDISH and boorish, and I refuse to dignify it with a substantive response... SMH undecided
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by musicwriter(m): 11:08am On Apr 30, 2019
Ugosample:
the world is a jungle
everyone is out to exploit the weak

A language was imposed on you, how is that a problem ?
there are African countries where you rarely hear people speak/understand English /French, YET are still shithole

Mali and some countries in the COMESA region comes to mind

about the education, I think we need to stop calling it 'western education" but formal education because that is what it is really. the education is an embodiment of the worjd knowledge put together, not just "western people"

That said, if Africans were serious, we should have adapted formal education to suit our needs
how hard can that be?
but then, black man is not interested

Why don't we have a physics curriculum in say igbo or Yoruba?
we might speak and be well educated in English; but we can design these I indigenous things to support(but hey, black man no send; he wants to enjoy; fvck his wife and go to sleep )
about the religion aspect, India was colonised and they NEVER see their religion as inferior
it id seen at par if not higher than others.

and the malevolent nature of these local religions sent people away from it too (Arusi et al)
Foreign religion is not our problem either
many south Koreans are now embracing Christianity

Africans in general ARE not serious people

Look around you, how many people ARE actively searching for knowledge and answers /solutions the way you do?
how many?
when you talk about things we have to change, how many even pay you audience?

That answers it...

And lastly, another damaging thing in Africa is the skewed risk reward system that us bizarre that has plagued Africa for centuries

if you are interested in knowing more, just indicate interest
I will drop it later in the day as I'm a big busy ATM

India is still a poor third world country but keeping their religion means that they'll have an edge in development over those countries that surrendered their religion. This is because a culture/nation ought to keep three things; namely, its own language, education, religion. Even losing one would create a completely different society. So if you see India a bit different that's because they at least kept their religion. In Africa, we lost all three!.

Korea would eventually become a different type of society if they continue to be Christianized. I suspect they'll become a corrupt country but they may still be wealthy but certainly not as wealthy as today. I can't say when but you can be rest assured that Korea would lose it in future. It would be interesting to see how a society keeping its own language and education would be like, if they lose their religion.

About Africa having a skewed risk reward system that's because you're using western philosophy to question African philosophy. It doesn't work that way because when you do so you get what I call a philosophy mismatch. African societies evolved different than Europe. Good or bad, wrong or right are a result of what values each culture uphold more than another.

The rest of your concerns, I already dropped in a book http://www.africason.com/2018/03/intellectual-slavery-worst-legacy-of.html

2 Likes

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Angelfrost(m): 11:12am On Apr 30, 2019
popsy2:

Don't take action. Keep saying the truth and keep praying to God.

Nothing is given, it is all for the taking. Roger that ?

Pray tell: What action or actions have you taken to set this generation in the right path?.. If you have done nothing tangible, then you have no moral justification whatsoever to slam anyone, least of all the well-spoken foreigner.

You do nothing meaningful, but have the gross temerity to bash others for toeing your line... Please, go have a word with yourself.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by popsy2(m): 11:16am On Apr 30, 2019
Angelfrost:

Pray tell: What action or actions have you taken to set this generation in the right path?.. If you have done nothing tangible, then you have no moral justification whatsoever to slam anyone, least of all the well-spoken foreigner.

You do nothing meaningful, but have the gross temerity to bash others for toeing your line... Please, go have a word with yourself.

You don't know me nor what i am doing in my capacity. Thank you.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by HeyCorleone(m): 11:17am On Apr 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

Exactly what “quality work” please?! shocked

Please let’s leave the beer-parlor recollections of old people who grew up under colonialism and were miseducated into equate white with godliness. After all, there are folks (starting with your current President) who thinks that Abacha was a great leader for Nigeria. Rather, let’s look at the facts - after a century of ruling Nigeria, the British did not establish a single university! And before you jump in with old folks’ foggy recollections, yes they did leave a university college or campus, that did not have a single program in engineering or medicine, and all those other disciplines that would be useful for a newly-independent developing nation (in contrast, within 2 years or thereabouts post-independence, Nigerians has established 4 first-rate universities for themselves).

The physical infrastructure was even more atrocious. Rail lines (that those old foggies probably will wax nostalgic about) rarely moved between population centers (except by mere coincidence) but primarily moved between the ports and the hinterland, for two basic reasons: (1) to move raw materials and minerals from the hinterland to the ports for export to the UK, and (2) to move imported UK goods from the ports to the captive Nigerian market (captive because in those days the present-day system of global trade was non-existent). What passed for “education” was merely the ability to read and write (and in those days much premium was placed on cursive handwriting) because the SOLE purpose of ‘educating’ Africans was to maintain control over the population, particularly keeping tax and other records.

Frankly, it would take a veritable dissertation to do justice to the subject matter (which no one obviously have time), but it is always disgusting whenever I hear/read any supposedly-educated Nigerian/African extol the purported virtues of colonialism - even including the folks who lived in GRINDING POVERTY in an effectively Apartheid system, complete with “European Quarters” and “European Clubs”! SMH

PS: Btw, perhaps you are confusing me with someone else, because I never said anything about the British teaching us corruption (albeit they are CRUCIAL co-conspirators/enable by omission or commission in lots of corruption perpetuated by the Nigerian political/elite class).

I do not understand how the British rules for a century.

Lagos became a colony in 1897. We gained independence in 1960. How is that 100 years?

Besides, Nigeria was a colony of Britain, not a state. They didn't owe us so much. You agree they taught us education. They set up a university. Even before that, Nigerians had to take exams to schools in Europe and America, which was largely facilitated by the British. So how did they not try for us?

They gave us rail system. They introduced us to new values and schemes. I'm quite in a hurry, and busy, so I can't list out the achievements one by one.

But the British did a lot for Nigeria, compared to other colonies. They didn't even rule us for so long. They treated us better than some other colonies. It's impossible to think that Nigeria would have developed past this if we hadn't been colonised.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by popsy2(m): 11:19am On Apr 30, 2019
Angelawhite:

And u fail to see the catch . You see ?
Your boring song is another person’s hit song and people still listen to songs from the 80’s

If majority has moved on to newer things, the minority becomes inconsequential albeit at liberty to wallow and stick tenaciously to their old ways.

It is a free world.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Angelfrost(m): 11:26am On Apr 30, 2019
popsy2:

You don't know me nor what i am doing in my capacity. Thank you.

I don't need nor even want to know you... "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh...". By the by, do you happen to know the Nigerians, and what they are doing in their various capacities before making those seemingly poignant statements??!

Like I early submitted, Go have a word with yourself.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Angelawhite(m): 11:27am On Apr 30, 2019
popsy2:

If majority has moved on to newer things, the minority becomes inconsequential albeit at liberty to wallow and stick tenaciously to their old ways.

It is a free world.

You don’t have the right to dictate to every individual what is trending or old.

If the news is sour, nobody is forcing it down your throat. You can always skip or block your eyes and ears .
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Angelfrost(m): 11:30am On Apr 30, 2019
HeyCorleone:

Lagos became a colony in 1897. We gained independence in 1960. How is that 100 years?

Besides, Nigeria was a colony of Britain, not a state. They didn't owe us so much. You agree they taught us education. They set up a university. Even before that, Nigerians had to take exams to schools in Europe and America, which was largely facilitated by the British. So how did they not try for us?

They gave us rail system. They introduced us to new values and schemes. I'm quite in a hurry, and busy, so I can't list out the achievements one by one.

But the British did a lot for Nigeria, compared to other colonies. They didn't even rule us for so long. They treated us better than some other colonies. It's impossible to think that Nigeria would have developed past this if we hadn't been colonised.

My good sir, I think you are wasting good words on individuals that have gotten so used to poor governance that they no longer know what true progress means.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by popsy2(m): 11:32am On Apr 30, 2019
Angelawhite:

You don’t have the right to dictate to every individual what is trending or old.

If the news is sour, nobody is forcing it down your throat. You can always skip or block your eyes and ears .

You sound so aggressive and pained. What is old is old, what is trendy is trendy. You only need common sense for that and not wait to be told.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by popsy2(m): 11:34am On Apr 30, 2019
Angelfrost:

I don't need nor even want to know you... "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh...". By the by, do you happen to know the Nigerians, and what they are doing in their various capacities before making those seemingly poignant statements??!

Like I early submitted, Go have a word with yourself.

You are a very rude person. Don't get worked up too much. We ain't fighting nor competing for anything.
Nemaste!
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Nobody: 11:46am On Apr 30, 2019
throwaway:
Annoy u? Lmao. Without colonization u would have still been in the bush. You'd have been using leaf to clean ur ass. Malaria and other diseases would have been your relatives.

Colonization and slavery are things of the past. Did he colonize you? What stopped ur forefathers from laying the foundations for a better world for you? Rather they took part in enslaving one another. Fighting senseless ethnic fights.
I think he is one of those Nigerians who keep blaming white people for their problems in Nigeria, rather than looking inwards, he is giving himself High BP over a Clear and truthful message from a white guy living comfortablly in England grin
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Nobody: 11:47am On Apr 30, 2019
popsy2:

You are a very rude person. Don't get worked up too much. We ain't fighting nor competing for anything.
Nemaste!
The Guy Sounds really frustrated grin grin I feel sorry for him rather.

1 Like

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by godlyguy(m): 11:47am On Apr 30, 2019
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by popsy2(m): 11:51am On Apr 30, 2019
gypsey:
The Guy Sounds really frustrated grin grin I feel sorry for him rather.

It took me less than a second to notice but i thought he could yet be redeemed. Guess I was so wrong. grin
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 30, 2019
See some Nigerians, Insulting, fighting themselves verbally and Giving themselves high BP on here, over a clear and truthfull message from an English guy. grin grin

Rather than holding their crooked politicians to Account grin. they are on here ranting.

Very interesting.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 30, 2019
popsy2:

It took me less than a second to notice but i thought he could yet be redeemed. Guess I was so wrong. grin
I hope he don't end up with high BP. grin as you have quite rightly asserted, if they are that Angry and frustrated they should take to the streets. like the sudanes, tunisians and Algerians.

1 Like

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by codemaniacs: 12:04pm On Apr 30, 2019
zz

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by 9jaRealist: 12:16pm On Apr 30, 2019
HeyCorleone:

Nope! Lagos became a British colony in 1861...
And they didn’t “teach us education” but to read and write so that we can keep records/collect taxes for them. Education is a different animal.

2 Likes

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by 9jaRealist: 12:20pm On Apr 30, 2019
gypsey:
See some Nigerians, Insulting, fighting themselves verbally and Giving themselves high BP on here, over a clear and truthfull message from an English guy. grin grin

Rather than holding their crooked politicians to Account grin. they are on here ranting.

Very interesting.

It may well be the “truth” but we sure as hell do not want to hear it from the British who created this mess in the first instance...
Meanwhile, it is NOT mutually tell the Brits to put a sock in it while simultaneously holding our politicians accountable (Fela did it daily)!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by jaxxy(m): 1:08pm On Apr 30, 2019
Many people will still not understand what the white man said and will start attacking themselves instead of agreeing on a common front to minimize corruption(if not eradicate it) and then very importantly get the job done.

2 major key points. Both Apc and Pdp have smtn to learn bt rather they are attacking each other and claiming right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Amujale(m): 1:08pm On Apr 30, 2019
Rossikk:

Really? But they've still got our billions of pounds (or trillions, considering it was a 70 year rule). Why should we forget that and ''move on"?

And now they're giving us advice? Dude please, don't annoy me this evening. The least they can do is STFU. They're in no position to criticise corruption in Nigeria while still holding on to their loot from this country.

Exactly the way i see it too.

Dissolve or re-negotiate all the ill-judges PACTS that amounts to day light robbery.

How can foreign companies be minning African soils in 2019?

When there are many egineneers and scientist in Africa that are unemployed, ready and willing to work for their country.

Reaping the benefits of my labour. What type of corruption is that?

Anyway, those that participate in the exploitation of African soil for the benefit of non-Africans should only expect a one-way ticket to HELL or its equivalent.

1 Like

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by alexola20(m): 1:22pm On Apr 30, 2019

5 Likes

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Amujale(m): 1:24pm On Apr 30, 2019
alexola20:
The stability if Africa most especially Nigeria is at the detriment of the Europeans.

European leaders won't let Africa see any development.

Do you know what actually happened in ajaokuta??

I hear you.

Ajaokuta is a mystery to me, some many years has gone by and we still wait for the completion.

The first thing most African countries needs is a complete disasociation of themselves from all non-Africans.

And start to create from scratch how WE want our world to look like.

Africans will prosper and put all our enemies to shame.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by HeyCorleone(m): 1:37pm On Apr 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

Nope! Lagos became a British colony in 1861...
And they didn’t “teach us education” but to read and write so that we can keep records/collect taxes for them. Education is a different animal.

I got so many things mixed up. Thanks for calling my attention.

Lagos indeed became a colony of the crown in 1861. But the full Nigerian areas didn't become a colony until 1887.

That aside, I don't think you're being fair on the colonial folks. They exploited us, but worked. Growth is gradual. We took our independence too early. If we had allowed them for 20 more years, they would have laid a proper foundation to prevent all these rubbish happening today.

Still, to continue to blame Britain for our today's mishaps is ill judgement.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Ickes: 1:56pm On Apr 30, 2019
I don't think Nigeria's leaders love anything called Nigeria. If they do, things would't be like this. "They hate it".

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by 9jaRealist: 1:56pm On Apr 30, 2019
HeyCorleone:

I got so many things mixed up. Thanks for calling my attention.

Lagos indeed became a colony of the crown in 1861. But the full Nigerian areas didn't become a colony until 1887.

That aside, I don't think you're being fair on the colonial folks. They exploited us, but worked. Growth is gradual. We took our independence too early. If we had allowed them for 20 more years, they would have laid a proper foundation to prevent all these rubbish happening today.

Still, to continue to blame Britain for our today's mishaps is ill judgement.

Bros, if one bears a deformed (or specially-abled) child...
It is bad form going around pointing at the kid and mocking him/her.

I already conceded that we have underachieved...
But it is galling for the entity right at the corpus of many of our core issues to gloat about it.

It’s substantively no different than the Nigerian military pontificating about civilians/politicians being unable to properly run Nigeria after saddling us with a deformed over-centralized “federation” (by name only) and a Constitution that’s incredibly inappropriate-for-cause.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by HeyCorleone(m): 2:04pm On Apr 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

Bros, if one bears a deformed (or specially-abled) child...
It is bad form going around pointing at the kid and mocking him/her.

I already conceded that we have underachieved...
But it is galling for the entity right at the corpus of many of our core issues to gloat about it.

It’s substantively no different than the Nigerian military pontificating about civilians/politicians being unable to properly run Nigeria after saddling us with a deformed over-centralized “federation” (by name only) and a Constitution that’s incredibly inappropriate-for-cause.

Surprisingly, the person who wrote the article is an American from Ohio. I checked it up. I don't understand why the mod or whoever used a misleading tag.

So all the hullabaloo about Britain was quite unnecessary, in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by 9jaRealist: 2:04pm On Apr 30, 2019
jaxxy:
Many people will still not understand what the white man said and will start attacking themselves instead of agreeing on a common front to minimize corruption(if not eradicate it) and then very importantly get the job done.

2 major key points. Both Apc and Pdp have smtn to learn bt rather they are attacking each other and claiming right.

We don’t want him to say it... undecided

It’s no different than the military lecturing us after saddling us with a centralized “federation” of 36 mostly-unviable states and a Constitution that no one is totally happy with. You don’t fornicate with a dude’s daughter and be the same one lamenting her teenage pregnancy.
Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Reference(m): 2:08pm On Apr 30, 2019
Then Mr White man, it is not corruption when the work is not done at all. It is something else called failed structure, period. This is tje problem we are facing. We as a people are unable to diagnose exactly what the problem is but those honest with themselves know that Nigeria simply does not work because it is programmed not to be workable

No two Nigerians share the same values, ideologies, aspirations and interests. The inability to rally around a single cause is the reason why nothing works. Corruption is merely a symptom of the underlying structural malaise.

Restructuring will pose a question to every inhabitant of this country as to how he or she wants to live and exist in conjunction with his neighbour and how his neighbour can assist him in maximizing his potentials and achieving his life goals. It will will force collaborative efforts rather than promote exploitative tendencies as we have presently and the results will be that everyone will depend on everyone else to exist in mutual respect and equity.

Then no one will need to steal from anyone else and corruption will die a natural death. Without restructuring there is absolutely no hope that this nation can ever move forward. No hope whatsoever. No prayer will solve what we all know and fail to do.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Johnson: What I Hate About Corruption In Africa And Nigeria Specifically by Angelawhite(m): 2:08pm On Apr 30, 2019
popsy2:

You sound so aggressive and pained. What is old is old, what is trendy is trendy. You only need common sense for that and not wait to be told.

Your opinion is inconsequential

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anambra 2021: Soludo Officially Declares Interest To Contest (Photos) / South-West Is The Safest Part Of Nigeria - Garba Shehu / Nigerian Man Attacked With Bottle By A Drunk Couple In France (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.