Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React (55707 Views)

Woman Enjoys At An Eatery With Her Children, Maid Sits Unattended To (Photo) / Boyfriend's mum Advice / Old Nigerian Grandma Smoking Weed Goes Viral. Nigerians React (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Victorisoni3(m): 4:10pm On May 29, 2019
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Naaaaa. I'm a deep rooted igbo lady
Or Igbo lady
Doesn't mean u won't epp ya mother inlaw
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by guru03(m): 4:10pm On May 29, 2019
dingbang:
lol.. Okay did you ask her to help you in the kitchen ?
I did my Dear and she adamantly refuse
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Fadedvoices2: 4:12pm On May 29, 2019
LordKO:

Stop trying so hard to quantify something beyond the capacity of your little brain. My life philosophy have been the same all through my existence both online and offline. . . it's all about altruism and conscientiousness for me.

You're like the people in support of the man's mother's shenanigans, because to you it's always about self and self-interest. A typical validation seeker.

In fact, whenever a psychological projection and hypocritically disingenuous entity like you try to pick on me, I laugh so hard. You can only succeed in perpetrating your shenanigans towards people who aren't discerning, not on someone like me.

By the way, when you quote me, like you did now and have always do, it's not hate. But if I quote you, like I did the other time (the first time I ever quoted you first), it'll be about me hating you. Lol. Kindly stop being petty.

Have a lovely day.

Coming from a self centered misogynistic pig who thinks he knows it all.

3 Likes

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by pkang: 4:16pm On May 29, 2019
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
I hear u. We don't sweep when there's visitor though

Why?
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by dingbang(m): 4:22pm On May 29, 2019
guru03:

I did my Dear and she adamantly refuse
then you have a case then. Such girls you dont bring them again to your father's house.
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Bizibi(m): 4:25pm On May 29, 2019
Adinije:
Yes, that's my opinion. My MIL never did any useless test on me neither did my mom do it to her daughters-in-law.

It's high time Nigerians stop treating would be wives as American visa applicants.

I hear
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by guru03(m): 4:25pm On May 29, 2019
dingbang:
then you have a case then. Such girls you dont bring them again to your father's house.
The good thing was that we parted ways out such attitude and today its history.
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Yankiss(m): 4:42pm On May 29, 2019
Preshy561:
Haa!! You are a very funny man.
She even lifted her legs and you are complaining? I will wait for her to lift my legs for me and then, when she's done sweeping the portion, she should bring it down too.

I'm meant to be pampered and petted as I'm gonna be the one to choose if I'm marrying their son or not, and also gonna be the one that's gonna choose if the family is hardworking and compatible enough for my liking.
Hehehehe. You are not a wife material then. You suppose finish sweeping everywhere, take cutlass cut the grass outside and go farm. Wife material ke! grin grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by West601(m): 4:43pm On May 29, 2019
Preshy561:
Haa!! You are a very funny man.
She even lifted her legs and you are complaining? I will wait for her to lift my legs for me and then, when she's done sweeping the portion, she should bring it down too.

I'm meant to be pampered and petted as I'm gonna be the one to choose if I'm marrying their son or not, and also gonna be the one that's gonna choose if the family is hardworking and compatible enough for my liking.
you need sense for that ur empty skull,your mum must be weeping for you right now
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by taiyeayodeji: 4:45pm On May 29, 2019
we cant condemn the girl friend,she might have asked her mother inlaw if she needed help ,if the woman say she no need help,who is she to help.i know some women who will never allow outsiders to help them in house chores,the old woman may see its as excercise .so we cant condemn the young lady until we know the full story

unclesoyo:
Twitter is currently buzzing as a story of a Nigerian girlfriend that sat while her boyfriend’s mum swept the room was shared on the platform.

A user on the platform Lord Fuad wrote that a man brought home his girlfriend to meet his mother and while he left her in the sitting room, his mother started sweeping but his girl did not assist her.

“This guy took his gf to his house. He left her in the parlour, went to the room. His mum was sweeping the floor, got to the girl’s place, she lifted her leg so the mum could sweep underneath.Was she right to do that?”

The move obviously was a test for the lady from the boyfriend’s mum, which according to the woman, must have been a bad 1st impression on the side of the girlfriend.

Nigerians however share mixed feelings over the issue and they didn’t hesitate to pour out their minds in the comment section.

See some comments we were able to gather:
A man identifid as Sean Johnson wrote:

All these girls can make mouth for Africa. Find the guy that fit your style and if you are helping the mum sweet, it won’t kill your self esteem in anyway. Have learnt on SM that those who say they can do this are actually the ones who do it

Melinda however said she would not sweep as well as the test was just a stupid one:

All this tests that mothers give girlfriends are stupid. The person that wants to marry me should know if it’s the 1st time I’m meeting the mother & she does this I won’t sweep. I’ll probably fake a call from my mum that I have to take outside and From there to my house

Dr. Chiemeziem shared his thought too:

She’s a visitor to that house for all I care, visitors deserve to be pampared.

Ebere said she would sweep and gave her reason:

I’ll take the broom and sweep not bc I’m obligated to but because I just think its courtesy one then because I’m even happy to be visiting and I don’t want to see myself as a visitor more than I should. Whether they’re testing their ancestors or not, mine is to be happy

In our culture it means you are not wanted in the home:

In my culture if someone starts sweeping, it means they don’t really want you in their house or at the least want you to leave. So I would be insulted, leave and never return.

https://lailasnews.com/girlfriend-sits-while-boyfriends-mum-sweeps-nigerians-react/

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by West601(m): 4:45pm On May 29, 2019
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Why sweep when u have a visitor?
can't u read? even at that can't u politely say ma can I help u wit that,u girls jus lack home training I swear
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by peacengine(m): 4:48pm On May 29, 2019
grin Is she trying to sweep her out of the house?

4 Likes

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by West601(m): 4:51pm On May 29, 2019
SageMK:
grin

Well before you start smashing your keyboard about her lacking morals or courtesy, when was the last time you gave up your seat for an elderly person or help that blind man cross the street or carry a pregnant woman's load?

To begin with, it only shows lack of courtesy and respect to start sweeping when you've got a guest in your house.

So she did the right thing. After all, she was there as a guest, and not for a domestic help interview or anything.

well bro na test d woman test d bitch cus she know his son always hang out with bitches ,me I can stand up for.an elderly person in a bus dats ain't a big deal cus my people say he who serves a king will be sure of being a king, and even me wey be man go like help my guys mum sweep and run an errand for her as well what re friends for?
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 4:52pm On May 29, 2019
Bossjakande:
I dont want to insult u cos I care a lot are u baby DAT dey pamper. think before u talk u av mom u av broda did u wish ur bro girl treat ur mom like dis? wat if after marriage ur mom visit and d useless wife didnt cook for her.dont forget u will be a mom too one day.maybe u wish ur son wife to treat u like dis.life aint about today alone. think about 2morrow. u dissapoint me dear.
It is her type that gang up with their mothers to harass theirs brother's wives. We know them.

1 Like

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 29, 2019
Bizmagnet:
What do you expect when we have dis-cultured ourselves and pretend to live alien lifestyles? It is on this part of the world that education has enpowered people to become nuisance to his society. No more courtesy, no more descipline, no more morals. It is well.

In need of a website, blog or software today for your business and ideas? Check my signature for contacts and you will get the best and the affordable.

Dis-cultured is NOT a word, see you acting all pretentious. First- why should a mother sweep the house of a GROWN human adult? If the mother regularly foolishly sweeps the house of a adult, why does she need a girlfriend to help her?

1 Like

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by ImaIma1(f): 5:01pm On May 29, 2019
SageMK:
grin

Well before you start smashing your keyboard about her lacking morals or courtesy, when was the last time you gave up your seat for an elderly person or help that blind man cross the street or carry a pregnant woman's load?

To begin with, it only shows lack of courtesy and respect to start sweeping when you've got a guest in your house.

So she did the right thing. After all, she was there as a guest, and not for a domestic help interview or anything.

Besides, the mum knew she was expecting a visitor and she couldn't sweep the house earlier. It's a stupid test.

A lady could collect the broom and sweep the whole street but it doesn't guarantee that she will be a good wife and DIL. Pretence is easy.

6 Likes

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by djon78(m): 5:12pm On May 29, 2019
guru03:
I just remember a personal experience, I took my girlfriend to our house while I was cooking she was relaxing in my room and my dad was aware, chain my Dad was mad that day?

My girl i was planning to marry slept over in my parents house, she was served food, when she finished, she didn't remove plate, in the morning woke up did nothing.

My parents never ever agreed for me to marry her, they said she wasn't raised well.
And I warned her to behave herself, but she said she no send.

You may say that the elders are overbearing, but they are right. We have so many women today who say they no send, but if you look deeper you will see serious character deficiency.
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by OGHENAOGIE(m): 5:15pm On May 29, 2019
all these useless story self...the lady is a guest and wats is wrong for boyfriend mama to sweep.. nobe say de are even married...i don't see anything here...if you quote Me to type rubbish without sensible reasoning...i go give u hot..

1 Like

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by BluntBoy(m): 5:15pm On May 29, 2019
SageMK:
grin

There is always something wrong with the way you arrange your points.

What was the need to ask questions about whether those against the girl's behaviour have done this or that? Is that the pressing issue here? The first paragraph should answer the OP's question.

Yes, it is rather rude to start sweeping when a visitor is in the house. In many Nigerian cultures, one is expected to help one's elders. So, the woman sweeping would have made the girl feel uneasy.

However, it wouldn't have harmed to at least make an effort to take the broom rather than just lift her legs.

I visit my fiancée and see her father is about to begin weeding the compound. If I were the father, I would put weeding to another time. But should the father decide to weed, I would be uncomfortable and would must definitely make an attempt to assist.

1 Like

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by sundamonex(m): 5:22pm On May 29, 2019
OK.

I will just pass

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by djon78(m): 5:22pm On May 29, 2019
linked:
Seeing many of the comments on this thread makes me shake my head. I mean, where are our manners and morals. It is sickening that many of the girls of this generation were raised by mothers who aren't good role models themselves, who lack good manners themselves and who left the training of their daughters to chance. So what we have are young girls who lack basic courtesy, common sense and are utterly self-centered. Many girls need training in human relations, cultural values, and etiquette. However only few would realize that they are a product of a failed home and work on themselves to become better persons for their own good and for the good of humanity at large.

The lady of discuss lacks common sense. Why not preempt your mother-in-law by just requesting to help. Say something like " ah mummy! let me help you sweep na?" There is a 99 percent chance that the mother-in-law would have declined her request. She will have most likely said "thank you, my daughter! you are our guest for today just relax". Case closed! She then maintains a good relationship with her in-laws and they see her in good light. This more productive approach would have made more sense. She would have shown her foresight, wisdom and good sense!

Why do you think many modern marriages are falling apart anyhow? Because majority of today's women have a lot of character deficiency. Any man must look very well before choosing a wife. Many character wise are nothing to write home about.
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Slimsly100(f): 5:27pm On May 29, 2019
As a first time visitor, I don't support testing her in such a way. When i first met my MIL, omo she nor get my time o. She ready to cook for me do every every na me dey beg same leave some for me to do. But that one nor mean say I nor Sabi my duties for the house na.
All these prospective MIL Dem, some can frustrate person all in the name of my son wan marry u. Like say na only Dem son be man.

2 Likes

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Lovelypet28: 5:42pm On May 29, 2019
If cuppy otedola visits,and your mum is sweeping can you tell her to collect the broom from ur mum and sweep,lol.jokers,double standards everywhere.
You people have to realise the world is changing women are becoming more independent,even the men of nowadays are nothing to write home about.
If she fails this test and you leave her because of it,then you are a boy and not a man and she will 100% get some1 better.
Men thinking they are gods lol.

6 Likes

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 29, 2019
West601:
can't u read? even at that can't u politely say ma can I help u wit that,u girls jus lack home training I swear
I only Asked a question ni oo.. We all know it ain't proper to sweep when one has a visitor ni. That's my argumentative angle. So collecting d broom ain't my concern

2 Likes

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 29, 2019
olaBC007:

Nwa, na test of morals but it's a stupid one
There are other better ways to test someone.

3 Likes

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:51pm On May 29, 2019
The girl did the right thing. I see nothing wrong.
Personally I won't lift a finger I am your guest so treat me like one and do everything in your power to make me comfortable cool

All these myopic thinking people who measure a good wife by housechores like seriously where are you guys from?

5 Likes

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Nobody: 5:52pm On May 29, 2019
Victorisoni3:

Or Igbo lady
Doesn't mean u won't epp ya mother inlaw
Ama help them till their last breath ni.
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by tunize(m): 5:58pm On May 29, 2019
sometimes first impression matter, while sometimes it doesn't really matter. but as a wise person there things one should do not to be seen as a good or bad person but at that moment what is morally right. in this case its morally right for the lady to handle the broom and sweep not raising her leg that is disrespectful.
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Mitsurugi(m): 5:58pm On May 29, 2019
tohyorsih2:
@the person above me, i feel so sorry for your future wife embarassed

As far as i'm concerned, there is nothing wrong in what
she did smiley

Don't be a hypocrite! It would be alright if your prospective sister in law or your son's fiancee does same abi?
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by issylarry(m): 5:58pm On May 29, 2019
joyberry:
Test ko test ni,so if the girl collects the broom,she is a wife material? Based on what her ability to sweep,is that the basics for marriage, All these so called tests sef,i never heard of multi-millionaires doing such, its always the struggling ones.Who even sweeps when guests are around sef?its rude and shows the guests he or she aint wanted, if the girl is a regular at the house ,fine thats different but a first-time visitor haba sef?
All these guys on this thread, if u go to your gf house and the father starts to wash his car in ur presence will u join him to wash the car?I don't get the act of degrading or putting some tru certain tests cos he or she wants to marry your child. That why many people pretend tru out courtship to put up with their potential in-laws unnecessary tests, and unleash their true colours in marriage .
I will help me and we would even have dialogue as men.na rubbish u just dey type.u beta learn how to respect elderly ones not even abt marriage
Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by Elinosweet143(f): 6:01pm On May 29, 2019
Thank you, the mama sha sabi find trouble, with this i will jejely not marry the guy cos d mama will always pull a stunt [qWuote author=NwanyiAwkaetiti post=78822999]Why sweep when u have a visitor? [/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Girlfriend Sits While Boyfriend's Mum Sweeps - Nigerians React by TFLAME(m): 6:04pm On May 29, 2019
Sterope:
That is not the point. The point why would you sweep when you have got a guest in your house? What message is the mother trying to pass? Why would she treat a possible in-law that way? The mum's action is very rude. The girl should have probably collect the broom from her then break up with the guy. She will be wise not to marry into that family.

This is Nigeria And that kind of action is not strange !!

It’s not new . Yeah rude , she could have just told the girl to join her in the kitchen .right ? But that’s rude too ? This is Nigeria , mother in-laws do that to test manners . Behavior , etc .. even if she pass all the test , it doesn’t mean she’ll be a good wife .. but the sweeping stunt is one of the old tricks in the mother in-laws book . So I don’t see why you are acting like it’s strange . But it’s normal to collect the broom from a grown woman , mother in-law or not . At least you offer to help . She won’t die if she had asked to assist the woman . It’s not big deal

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

They Came Out Of The Room Sweating, But She Said They Didn't Have Sex! / Nigerian-Born U.S. Soldier Shocks Family With Visit After 6 Years Of Being Away / HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.