Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! (21594 Views)

See How The Nigerian Army Have Upped Their Game Against Boko Haram Bombings. Pic / Refuse Take Over Aba / JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by abenelo: 1:48pm On Sep 30, 2010
There is nothing wrong with the millitary been involved in the Aba saga, for those of us that live and work in Aba, this is a welcomed news.

Nigerian police is not ill equipped, yes they may not have the gadgets that scotland yard or NYPD, LAPD have but  their major disease is the love for N20 and N50. Even if you have all they gadgets in the world but concentrate on extorting money from motorist.

The Millitary (Army, Navy, Airforce) are business like and in times like this, Aba needs to have such for the public confidence to be return for the town to come back to life. GEJ has declared a partial stae ofemergency and TA Orji has lost the elections already. At last Aba will be free
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Guyman02: 1:50pm On Sep 30, 2010
There are some names mentioned by people in Aba on NL such as Osisi ka nkwu and Stone as the ring leaders of the kidnap sindicate. I want the army to capture and display them dead or Alive. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed angry angry angry
Those guys have been killing policemen and Soldiers in Aba and burning their bodies together with their hilux vans.
Every corpse of those murdered in bushes by these cursed idiots must be recovered for possible identification. Enough of hooliganism in the South East. The time to act is now angry angry angry
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 30, 2010
Abali1:

Aba noo ji aba aju. When the millitary gets involved, both the innocent and the guilty shall become casualties. cry
I would preferred if a curfew is enforce so that civilian casualty can be checked.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by SkyBlue1: 1:57pm On Sep 30, 2010
Echidime:

@Bluetooth:

looting spree of the military is better and acceptable, than a fellow civilians looting our treasury and call it democracy,yet they are incapable to give the nations security,which with the military security is 100% Guarranteed if not for anything else

What a careless statement. The military left because the country went broke. Estimates of how much Nigeria has lost via corruption since independence put the figure at about 400billion dollars and here you are running mouth about how the military (that were known for gross corruption except for the Buhari regime) would be a much better option. Was is police or miltary that killed Saro Wiwa after a kangaroo trial? The same military known for executions at will, stifling of free speech, and working side by side with multi nationals to rob and pollute the country?
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by violent(m): 1:58pm On Sep 30, 2010
Why is no one addressing the primary issues?

The fact that the army gets drafted to a place to restore order over such issues that should be normally handled by the Police calls for serious concerns.  In saner countries, citizens will be calling for the resignation of the Inspector General and possible the impeachment of the governors of the state.

The army mostly operate outside the borders of the Nigerian state  and only in certain unique scenarios are drafted to restore order within the state in such places that suffers from break-down stemming from unruly civilians taking up arms or battle terror attempts.

But the Nigerian state, a 50 year old toddler is quiet different from many other saner countries, here, the Police is largely incapacited to handle even the smallest issues that would normally require intelligent hands and good working technology to solve, the result of this? of course, the army gets called upon even if two households engage in verbal attacks.

summary of my musings===empower the damn police with the right tactics, technology and motivation.

I wouldn't imagine Obama calling on the United State armed forces to address kidnapping issues, when a team of 5 smart FBI officials can work magic!

Its beginning to make sense what Ribadu meant when he said all he needed was to train 5000 men for Nigerians to sleep at night---i believe him!
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by abbyode(m): 2:01pm On Sep 30, 2010
This is a welcome development.
However, I also expect the new IG to have been replaced by now if after about 72 hours of the incidence, there's still no clue from the police.
Another IG should be appointed immediately and should also be given 48 hrs for the release of these children. If nothing happens afterwards, the IG should be replaced by another one, and so on and so forth.
This is what will end this kidnapping saga because the police themselves are largely involved.
Untile about 10 IGs are replaced within 2 weeks coz of kidnapping issues, we might not record any meaningful progress in the fight against kidnapping in the country,
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by MaziUche0(m): 2:02pm On Sep 30, 2010
Abia State is a failed state as well.

I am happy to hear that the army have entered Aba. This was a huge embarrassment for Nigeria. It made CNN and BBC news. Even my white coworkers heard about how 15 children were kidnapped. I was too embarrassed to say that this was in my home state.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by deor03(m): 2:02pm On Sep 30, 2010
violent:

I wouldn't imagine Obama calling on the United State armed forces to address kidnapping issues, when a team of 5 smart FBI officials can work magic!

This is the result of watching too much Film !

I wonder why the "smart" FBI guys have not "worked the magic" regarding  Osama  grin
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Echidime(m): 2:06pm On Sep 30, 2010
@MaziUche0:

Why are you embarrassed to say that this was in your home state.? Are you not part of the system? abeg confess your sins and be saved grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by SkyBlue1: 2:09pm On Sep 30, 2010
violent:

Why is no one addressing the primary issues?

The fact that the army gets drafted to a place to restore order over such issues that should be normally handled by the Police calls for serious concerns.  In saner countries, citizens will be calling for the resignation of the Inspector General and possible the impeachment of the governors of the state.

The army mostly operate outside the borders of the Nigerian state  and only in certain unique scenarios are drafted to restore order within the state in such places that suffers from break-down stemming from unruly civilians taking up arms or battle terror attempts.

But the Nigerian state, a 50 year old toddler is quiet different from many other saner countries, here, the Police is largely incapacited to handle even the smallest issues that would normally require intelligent hands and good working technology to solve, the result of this? of course, the army gets called upon even if two households engage in verbal attacks.

summary of my musings===empower the damn police with the right tactics, technology and motivation.

Its beginning to make sense what Ribadu meant when he said all he needed was to train 5000 men for Nigerians to sleep at night---i believe him!

Let us not beat about the bush, "empowering" the police would cost money. Money which the country currently (despite what you think) does not really have due to an overbloated civil service whose salaries take well more than half of the yearly budget allocations, as well as poor states unwilling to invest in increasing their internally generated revenue. Hence you have a lot of beggar states fighting for the very last crumbs from Abuja, money which could be invested in other worthwile ventures.

It is funny how a lot of things actually link together. It really would surprise you just how much of a difference abolishing state monthly allocations from Abuja would make, especially when states have to actually pay taxes to the federal government. Trust, it all links together. If we want things to improve we need to decentralise power from Abuja and make states more responsible and accountable (you will see how the whole concept of more states will disappear and how some defunct states would even be begging to merge together when the free money is gone).
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Pennywise(m): 2:10pm On Sep 30, 2010
What is happening in Aba is a result of what we know so well. Nigeria is highly under-policed. How can 200,000 men ensure law and order in a country of over 150m people who perpetually live in the fringes of the law.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 30, 2010
smiley
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by GeorgeD1(m): 2:22pm On Sep 30, 2010
aba has turned to something else. how sad! sad
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Echidime(m): 2:23pm On Sep 30, 2010
Have they found the kids? Thats what i want to hear now before we talk of how to deal with this criminals
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by alex406(m): 2:29pm On Sep 30, 2010
Yes it is a welcome development but i tell you most solemnly,this saga will not stop until the federal government start giving the youths of the state their own amnesty,this is what they are fighting for.Moreover this is not the first time they will deploy soldiers there,even the red  cap soldier are running for their dear life,the are killing them seriously,everywhere is hot in aba now,workers hardly go to work there. Then another thing that will reduce violence there is if the government can stop Bakassi boys from operating.They are also causing alot of trouble,killing innocent people and disturbing the neighborhood.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by martinosi: 2:31pm On Sep 30, 2010
homerac7:

@ bidemi12

Don't u thnk d US govt wld summon up National Guards if there were domestic security failure? Aba scenario is a classical case of such. It's high time d military moved in as d situation is obviously above d police competence. I only still fear for d innocent citizens.

The National Guard/US Military have been called into Cities/Towns
in the USA on Numerous Occasions.

Did they not occupy New Orleans during the Hurricane Katrina saga,
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by MaziUche0(m): 2:32pm On Sep 30, 2010
alex406:

Yes it is a welcome development but i tell you most solemnly,this saga will not stop until the federal government start giving the youths of the state their own amnesty,this is what they are fighting for.Moreover this is not the first time they will deploy soldiers there,even the red  cap soldier are running for their dear life,the are killing them seriously,everywhere is hot in aba now,workers hardly go to work there. Then another thing that will reduce violence there is if the government can stop Bakassi boys from operating.They are also causing alot of trouble,killing innocent people and disturbing the neighborhood.

They only amnesty that can get is a bullet hole to their head.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Dede1(m): 2:44pm On Sep 30, 2010
The situation in Aba and many other cities within Nigeria is apparent indication of failed state. Nigeria is an utmost disappointment. The idiotic governments in Nigeria can deploy a division of soldiers to Aba it will not solve the problem.

Until the root courses of the problems are being addressed by the so-called leaders in Nigeria the situation in Aba shall continue to re-occur. It is a shame that after 50 years of Nigerian independence there is no federal government presence in entire Igbo land in general and Aba in particular. In addition, there have been ghost-like leaderships in certain parts of Igbo land as exemplified by the misguided political support the south-eastern governors are seemingly showing to GEJ.

Please fellows do not get wrong because I am not in any way or form advocating social decadence in our society but I solicit for right approach to be applied. It is very apparent the current situation in Aba could have been avoided.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by kolaoloye(m): 2:48pm On Sep 30, 2010
Dede1:

The situation in Aba and many other cities within Nigeria is apparent indication of failed state. Nigeria is an utmost disappointment. The idiotic governments in Nigeria can deploy a division of soldiers to Aba it will not solve the problem.

Until the root courses of the problems are being addressed by the so-called leaders in Nigeria the situation in Aba shall continue to re-occur. It is a shame that after 50 years of Nigerian independence there is no federal government presence in entire Igbo land in general and Aba in particular. In addition, there have been ghost-like leaderships in certain parts of Igbo land as exemplified by the misguided political support the south-eastern governors are seemingly showing to GEJ.

Please fellows do not get wrong because I am not in any way or form advocating social decadence in our society but I solicit for right approach to be applied. It is very apparent the current situation in Aba could have been avoided.

HOW?
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by bawomolo(m): 2:50pm On Sep 30, 2010
Sky Blue:

Let us not beat about the bush, "empowering" the police would cost money. Money which the country currently (despite what you think) does not really have due to an overbloated civil service whose salaries take well more than half of the yearly budget allocations, as well as poor states unwilling to invest in increasing their internally generated revenue. Hence you have a lot of beggar states fighting for the very last crumbs from Abuja, money which could be invested in other worthwile ventures.

It is funny how a lot of things actually link together. It really would surprise you just how much of a difference abolishing state monthly allocations from Abuja would make, especially when states have to actually pay taxes to the federal government. Trust, it all links together. If we want things to improve we need to decentralise power from Abuja and make states more responsible and accountable (you will see how the whole concept of more states will disappear and how some defunct states would even be begging to merge together when the free money is gone).

nigeria is far behind with little money for development
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 30, 2010
These police needa stop negotiating with these criminals.
It's obvious that they're just wasting time, the 'nappers know that there's no way out for them. . . .one way or another, they'll come out dead, with or without the release of the children.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Meldrick(m): 2:57pm On Sep 30, 2010
i won't be surprised if the kidnappers have long left abia for a neighbouring state. the fg weas too slow in springing into action.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Hauwa1: 2:59pm On Sep 30, 2010
glad w/ this new development.

where are the Nigerian Marines? i hope they are deployed too cool
SemperFI
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by marcus1234: 3:15pm On Sep 30, 2010
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by btlasisi(m): 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2010
I do hope our security officers will not make Boko-Haram of this situation by killing the hoodlums kingpin so as to cover up their sponsors
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Beaf: 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2010
I would advice all NLers in Aba to vacate the place the army is not trained to investigate criminal matters. The soldiers will shoot anybody that gives the wrong outward sign, even if that person is a saint dropped from Heaven. They are trained killers, whose primary job it is to defend the country against aggression from external armies.

One thing I am very happy about, is that one of the contributors to this topic is a US soldier (bidemi12). His inputs display the stark differences between Nigeria and more developed countries where there is law, order and procedure. You do not see the army on the streets in countries like the UK or the US, because the police can handle all situations. US and UK aside, I have never heard of the army being sent in to sort out kidnappers in even the poorest countries, but then Nigeria is on the list of failed states, so we take totally strange actions; and that is to be expected since the right tool for the job has become a failed tool.

It is my wish that the army is just there to man road blocks and back up the actions of the police, because if they are meant to resolve the problem of kidnapping, they will at most, only secure a temporary victory that will eventually taste bitter in the mouth. We need to learn to do things properly, be organised and follow procedure in this country.

The situation in Aba is the culmination of years of approaching governance stup!dly. The police were deliberately criminalised by the IBB regime who for the first time, withheld police monies and salaries, leaving them to fend for themselves. Mopol units that were previously incorruptible, highly efficient, dedicated and only ever seen in broad daylight when there were near war situations began to mount road blocks and look dirty like the rest of the force; you cannot compare the look of the original mopol with the current fckers running around asking for "roger." These days you can spot mopols everywhere, even at beer palours.

I pity Nigeria. The current police force needs to be completely demobilised if they cannot resolve cases of kidnapping by civilians and totally rebuilt from the ground up. We must send a crop of graduates to foreign countries for training and have them return to set up a proper police service.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 30, 2010
Ok GEJ good job, trust me if this Aba clean-up go smooth I can then vote for you via NL grin
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 30, 2010
Beaf:

I would advice all NLers in Aba to vacate the place the army is not trained to investigate criminal matters. The soldiers will shoot anybody that gives the wrong outward sign, even if that person is a saint dropped from Heaven. They are trained killers, whose primary job it is to defend the country against aggression from external armies.

One thing I am very happy about, is that one of the contributors to this topic is a US soldier (bidemi12). His inputs display the stark differences between Nigeria and more developed countries where there is law, order and procedure. You do not see the army on the streets in countries like the UK or the US, because the police can handle all situations. US and UK aside, I have never heard of the army being sent in to sort out kidnappers in even the poorest countries, but then Nigeria is on the list of failed states, so we take totally strange actions; and that is to be expected since the right tool for the job has become a failed tool.

It is my wish that the army is just there to man road blocks and back up the actions of the police, because if they are meant to resolve the problem of kidnapping, they will at most, only secure a temporary victory that will eventually taste bitter in the mouth. We need to learn to do things properly, be organised and follow procedure in this country.

The situation in Aba is the culmination of years of approaching governance stup!dly. The police were deliberately criminalised by the IBB regime who for the first time, withheld police monies and salaries, leaving them to fend for themselves. Mopol units that were previously incorruptible, highly efficient, dedicated and only ever seen in broad daylight when there were near war situations began to mount road blocks and look dirty like the rest of the force; you cannot compare the look of the original mopol with the current fckers running around asking for "roger." These days you can spot mopols everywhere, even at beer palours.

I pity Nigeria. The current police force needs to be completely demobilised if they cannot resolve cases of kidnapping by civilians and totally rebuilt from the ground up. We must send a crop of graduates to foreign countries for training and have them return to set up a proper police service.
What has the contribution of a US soldier got to do with a constitutional issue that affects nigeria ? The guy is really crazie.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 30, 2010
smiley
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Ranoscky(m): 3:43pm On Sep 30, 2010
Beaf:

And your point to the matter is? undecided
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 3:45pm On Sep 30, 2010
smiley
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by cmespeak: 3:50pm On Sep 30, 2010
uno wat i wonder the role of tecnology in all of this, why do we allow ourselves tolag behind in all things the fact that we are a third  world country does not make us backward, why can't the calls to made to the families of these victims be traced, why can't we utilise our telecoms companies to track the location and possibly the area of theae calls, we have phone masts located all over and every call is routed thru these masts back to the called person why can't we use our network to this this, u see i was so angry about this issue i had to leave the office to make this post thru a nearby cafe.Bringing in army is not the issue, this issue calls for clever thing and tracking the army will only distract  issues and cause unneccessary arrests. Nigeria is 50 and we can't do simple things right, NIGERIA it is time we stop SNIFFING, RAISE OUR HEADS AND LOOK UP.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

CCB Invites Tunji-Ojo Over Alleged N438m Contract Scam / Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections / Simple Agenda: Ize-Iyamu Plagiarising My Intellectual Property ― Pedro Obaseki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.