Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! (21595 Views)

See How The Nigerian Army Have Upped Their Game Against Boko Haram Bombings. Pic / Refuse Take Over Aba / JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 30, 2010
smiley
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Beync(f): 4:00pm On Sep 30, 2010
the fg wud be reasonable if they wud extend this search of militants to neigboring states where they hav there extension.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by cmespeak: 4:04pm On Sep 30, 2010
IT is a shame that this is happening,they are demanding 20milla,do they think that dat will solve their problems ? neva.I believe sme underground world should be done here to trace these guys,if we dont have the manpower and equipment then the shhud be imported, it s even time our leaders start thinking sharp and stop looting deep.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by fender(m): 4:07pm On Sep 30, 2010
I wish the army a successful invading. Kill dem cockcroaches!!!! They don't deserve to live,
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Rastamann: 4:09pm On Sep 30, 2010
Good, if this will stop the kidnapping in Abia state
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Beaf: 4:16pm On Sep 30, 2010
tensor777:

Well I have said that at times some people just compare the incomparable Imagine comparing the situation in a Western city where the citizens are extremely and meticulously law-abiding to a city like Aba where anarchy and the law of the jungle prevails!
The NPF simply lack the training and orientation to deal with such a serious breakdown in law and order. Such a scenario where even innocent schoolkids are brazenly kidnapped in broad daylight calls for the heavy, brutal, iron, fist of the military to deal a crushing blow to the bloodthirsty Bakassi boys who are at the heart of the current spree.

Have you actually sat back to medidate and then come to the realisation that, all of Nigeria's problems are due to this sort of cut and nail approach?

cmespeak:

uno wat i wonder the role of tecnology in all of this, why do we allow ourselves tolag behind in all things the fact that we are a third  world country does not make us backward, why can't the calls to made to the families of these victims be traced, why can't we utilise our telecoms companies to track the location and possibly the area of theae calls, we have phone masts located all over and every call is routed thru these masts back to the called person why can't we use our network to this this, u see i was so angry about this issue i had to leave the office to make this post thru a nearby cafe.Bringing in army is not the issue, this issue calls for clever thing and tracking the army will only distract  issues and cause unneccessary arrests. Nigeria is 50 and we can't do simple things right, NIGERIA it is time we stop SNIFFING, RAISE OUR HEADS AND LOOK UP.

You have raised a lot of issue's here. The first and most important being; why do Nigerians instinctively reach for the army when there are much more sensible, straightforward and efficient ways of acheiving the same goal? If we follow this question logically, we will dig up a lot of questions that will expose several trauma nad self esteem issues in the average Nigerian. Have so many years of military rule, so traumatised the average man that every solution must involve overwhelming force?
When neighbours fight, the one that has military connections wins; when there are minor accidents on our roads, the person with military connections slaps the other; when we have situations that call us to aggitate for the total overhaul and rebirth of the police, we are satisfied with a token military presence.

Why is it that something as simple as triangulation of mobile calls hasn't been employed, rather we ask the army to roll in with tanks?
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by SamMilla1(m): 4:19pm On Sep 30, 2010
Army should take over Enugu, Owerri and Onitsha too. The criminals will run to those cities.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by kobikwelu(m): 4:20pm On Sep 30, 2010
I wouldn't imagine Obama calling on the United State armed forces to address kidnapping issues, when a team of 5 smart FBI officials can work magic!

keep on watching 24

hisssss

story!!!
sum of u guys just open your mouth an spew undiluted garbage cry cry cry
incase u dont knoww, the military can be exercised by the commander in chief, for protecting the soverign state against external aggression and against internal aggression when when the local policing agencies have failed.
the 2nd scenario rests on the decision of the presido to decide
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Rhea(f): 4:27pm On Sep 30, 2010
@Slap1
Kudos to you for the exemplary job you have been doing keeping a lot of NLers abreast with the gory happenings in Aba. People like you should strive for a career in journalism or probably pursue it like a hobby (which i presume you are currently doing).
By utilizing Nairaland anonymously  , you strive to let Nigerians in particular and the world in general know what is going on in our country. This is how the likes of Christine Amanpour and Anderson Cooper (both of CNN) started out. This way, the root causes of situations like this can be publicised and maybe someday given the attention they demand.

Kudos to Seun also. Na your BRT all of us enter FOC. Well done!
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 30, 2010
smiley
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Odunnu: 4:38pm On Sep 30, 2010
Thank God you are outta that town Slap1.
Ths is healthy news.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by kcreal(f): 4:45pm On Sep 30, 2010
I am still in Aba. Oh God, please save us.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Odunnu: 4:49pm On Sep 30, 2010
Sam Milla:

Army should take over Enugu, Owerri and Onitsha too. The criminals will run to those cities.
Seems like u dont knw the area very well?How can you be talking about Enugu?They'l have to get to Phc on the one side,Umuahia on the other side,Owerri, and then Calabar.Enugu is far for them and i'm sure the we the inhabitants of Enugu wont let them in.
Biko, I dnt want trouble.
Before they are done kidnapping people in the neigboring cities,to get to Enugu,arms carrying would have been legalised
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by SamMilla1(m): 4:53pm On Sep 30, 2010
Odunnu:

Seems like u dont knw the area very well?How can you be talking about Enugu?They'l have to get to Phc on the one side,Umuahia on the other side,Owerri, and then Calabar.Enugu is far for them and i'm sure the we the inhabitants of Enugu wont let them in.
Biko, I dnt want trouble.
Before they are done kidnapping people in the neigboring cities,to get to Enugu,arms carrying would have been legalised

They are already kidnapping people in Enugu. They wont risk sticking around Aba. Remember what happened during Bakassi.
The thieves left Aba For Onitsha and Enugu.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by eros(m): 4:55pm On Sep 30, 2010
I wonder why the Police cannot be scrapped and have the Army take over the security of this country. When things deteriorate, then we call for the help of the Army. I hope they nab those bas.tards and kill them slowly  angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Ivynwa(f): 4:55pm On Sep 30, 2010
Do we have means of tracing calls in Nigeria, those silly things can be traced to their hide-out with the numbers they are using to negotiate the ransom. It is very important that things be done urgently so nothing befalls those kids. A kid was once kidnapped where I live and died of children's ailment in the hands of the kidnappers and no one heard a thing again until a certain woman came in years after to notify the public of that. You can't imagine what that kid's father went thru wondering whether his son will ever be seen.

Where are the Nigerian army all those while that that city was boiling. They should make haste and deplore lots of them to other states experiencing this silly kidnapping trend. Nonsense! Mchtceeeeeew. I am so mad at that society of ours right now.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by v3: 4:57pm On Sep 30, 2010
Update!

There's been sporadic shooting around some of the environs, the place is more like a ghost-town now. . only blaring sirens and a couple army officers can be seen moving around from where i am right now. Jesus  sad sad cry cry  i just came here to see an ill friend, almost everything's grounded.

These so-called kidnappers are being sponspored by some big-shots. It's about time the gov't did something about this.

Will keep you guys posted
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by SamMilla1(m): 5:02pm On Sep 30, 2010
eros:

I wonder why the Police cannot be scrapped and have the Army take over the security of this country. When things deteriorate, then we call for the help of the Army. I hope they nab those bas.tards and kill them slowly  angry angry angry angry angry angry

Trust me, you dont want that. Ask the people of Sierra Leone, Liberia too
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Ivynwa(f): 5:03pm On Sep 30, 2010
Yes I just remembered that calls can be traced in Naija, I once read how the last call on a dead lady's phone was traced to her manfriend. I hope they are bringing in all the resources available to save those kids or will those be left as the last resort when things are already out of hand? I am so helpless now and wish I can join forces to unearth this s-t-u-p-i-d-i-t-y.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by MaziUche0(m): 5:08pm On Sep 30, 2010
I WEEP FOR MY STATE! cry cry cry cry

This is a travesty. I did not hit me so close to home!
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by bawomolo(m): 5:15pm On Sep 30, 2010
Beaf:

I would advice all NLers in Aba to vacate the place the army is not trained to investigate criminal matters. The soldiers will shoot anybody that gives the wrong outward sign, even if that person is a saint dropped from Heaven. They are trained killers, whose primary job it is to defend the country against aggression from external armies.

One thing I am very happy about, is that one of the contributors to this topic is a US soldier (bidemi12). His inputs display the stark differences between Nigeria and more developed countries where there is law, order and procedure. You do not see the army on the streets in countries like the UK or the US, because the police can handle all situations. US and UK aside, I have never heard of the army being sent in to sort out kidnappers in even the poorest countries, but then Nigeria is on the list of failed states, so we take totally strange actions; and that is to be expected since the right tool for the job has become a failed tool.

It is my wish that the army is just there to man road blocks and back up the actions of the police, because if they are meant to resolve the problem of kidnapping, they will at most, only secure a temporary victory that will eventually taste bitter in the mouth. We need to learn to do things properly, be organised and follow procedure in this country.

The situation in Aba is the culmination of years of approaching governance stup!dly. The police were deliberately criminalised by the IBB regime who for the first time, withheld police monies and salaries, leaving them to fend for themselves. Mopol units that were previously incorruptible, highly efficient, dedicated and only ever seen in broad daylight when there were near war situations began to mount road blocks and look dirty like the rest of the force; you cannot compare the look of the original mopol with the current fckers running around asking for "roger." These days you can spot mopols everywhere, even at beer palours.

I pity Nigeria. The current police force needs to be completely demobilised if they cannot resolve cases of kidnapping by civilians and totally rebuilt from the ground up. We must send a crop of graduates to foreign countries for training and have them return to set up a proper police service.

there have been calls for the national guard to intervene in chicago (gang violence). the police does lose control at times (detroit and south central LA)
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Odunnu: 5:23pm On Sep 30, 2010
Sam Milla:

They are already kidnapping people in Enugu. They wont risk sticking around Aba. Remember what happened during Bakassi.
The thieves left Aba For Onitsha and Enugu.
Kidnapping for ransome,assasination and wateva has been recorded in every major city in Nigeria.
The crop of kidnapperz we hear of in Aba cant stand the heat in Enugu.
We are a law abiding people here and we love our guv'nr.
@topic, Anybody know the steps involvd towards getting a license for a gun in 9ja?any training sch info wud be welcome too
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 30, 2010
Odunnu:

Kidnapping for ransome,assasination and wateva has been recorded in every major city in Nigeria.
The crop of kidnapperz we hear of in Aba cant stand the heat in Enugu.
We are a law abiding people here and we love our guv'nr.
@topic, Anybody know the steps involvd towards getting a license for a gun in 9ja?any training sch info wud be welcome too

Exactly. . . one happened in Warri just yest.

Kidnappers seize six oil workers, others in Warri

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/sep/29/12.html
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by mykali(m): 5:32pm On Sep 30, 2010
v3:

Update!

There's been sporadic shooting around some of the environs, the place is more like a ghost-town now. . only blaring sirens and a couple army officers can be seen moving around from where i am right now. Jesus  sad sad cry cry  i just came here to see an ill friend, almost everything's grounded.

These so-called kidnappers are being sponspored by some big-shots. It's about time the gov't did something about this.

Will keep you guys posted

Mehn. . .you get mind oh, but kudos to you.
Keep us posted bro. Especially on any News about the Rescue Mission.

@topic
this should have been done earlier than now. but let's hope some order will finally come to Aba. I can't even think of travelling thru there these days. The last time i did. . .fear grip me die.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by seanet02: 5:33pm On Sep 30, 2010
Igbos please stop this ridicule
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by MaziUche0(m): 5:34pm On Sep 30, 2010
I remember last year, I told my father I feared going to Aba. And he said I had no reason to worry because I am "nwa afor Igbo."

He made it seem like I had no right to be afraid to travel in my own land. It seems like he was sadly mistaken.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 30, 2010
MaziUche0:

I remember last year, I told my father I feared going to Aba. And he said I had no reason to worry because I am "nwa afor Igbo."

He made it seem like I had no right to be afraid to travel in my own land. It seems like he was sadly mistaken.

You can always travel to Ekiti state. . . . safe and you def wont get kidnapped tongue tongue  [Ignore the mallams on your way].

I know how you feel tho, if it were my state, I'd cry cry
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by MaziUche0(m): 5:38pm On Sep 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

You can always travel to Ekiti state. . . . safe and you def wont get kidnapped tongue tongue  [Ignore the mallams on your way].

I know how you feel tho, if it were my state, I'd cry cry

I hear your state is being overrun by almajiri. Can't take that change either. If it is not Port Harcourt which is filled with former militants, Aba filled with kidnappers, I have to run to Enugu.
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 30, 2010
MaziUche0:

I hear your state is being overrun by almajiri. Can't take that change either. If it is not Port Harcourt which is filled with former militants, Aba filled with kidnappers, I have to run to Enugu.
You seems to hear alot of things. You heard wrong this time
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by cvibe: 5:46pm On Sep 30, 2010
Army is supposed to defend the country against external aggression.  If the army is now relied upon internally, do we really need the police force?
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by honeric01(m): 5:49pm On Sep 30, 2010
MaziUche0:

maybe you should come to Lagos (security is 80% assured) or you can make your way to Benin, the oba's curse and that of all the old women is working wonders cool cool
Re: Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 30, 2010
honeric01:

maybe you should come to Lagos (security is 80% assured) or you can make your way to Benin, the oba's curse and that of all the old women is working wonders cool cool

Better dont make someone disgrace you here grin grin
Ekiti is safe as can be. . . . cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections / Simple Agenda: Ize-Iyamu Plagiarising My Intellectual Property ― Pedro Obaseki / Dayo Fadahunsi Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.