Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (245) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1362549 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ubigurl: 8:04am On Aug 27, 2019
Kk I got my visa in January 2014 and traveled on February 2014 for the two weeks vacation then went again in February 2015 to have my son over a year later
In fact after applying for a drop box then I was called for and interview and was asked why I traveled to the and I told them before I was given my present visa, I was just confused when she threw that question at me again. And going for the associate degree, nope that's not the case I'm only going for prerequisites at the college then proceed for my masters it's in the same school and that is the only way to go about it its an accelerated-nursing-program have a family friend that did it and succeeded

walex57:

So from your response I see a couple of things that may have come out as red flags to the VO.
1. you got your B1/B2 visa in January 2014, the question now to answer is when in 2014 did you travel initially for your two weeks vacation, was it in January 2014? did you conceive before travelling in 2014, what was the duration between when you traveled in 2014 and your second trip in 2015. Pregnancy is 9 months, if the space was less than 9 months, then it's a no brainer!

Again I'm certain this sermon has been preached times without number on here that the embassy frowns at BSc holders going for associates! it's like trying to carry water with a basket.

My advice is to reapply for a Masters program. don't rush. Your info is already in their system. before you argue or explain to the VO, ask yourself sincerely the questions I've asked above and be ready with a convincing answer should it arise again. But if your mind is gingering you to reapply immediately,take your best case and confidence forward. I wish you the very best.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ubigurl: 8:08am On Aug 27, 2019
My bros/sis I do not have any reason what so ever to lie to any body, we obviously do not even know each other. That's what it is, went in Feb 2014 for vacation and went again in Feb 2015 and had the baby in April 2015 that's more than a year. Thank you
wickyyolo:

Are you telling us that Technology is lying ?
Nigerians
Please re apply after with consistency in application they will give you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:10am On Aug 27, 2019
ubigurl:
My interview was short and brief it was a black American woman, the moment I came forward greeted her and she did not reply me and was like that's fine and smiled hmmmm I was asked why I misrepresented when I came for a B1/B2 visa In 2014 that I told them I was going on a 2 weeks vacation with my husband but ended going to have my baby instead, I was SHOCKED AT FIRST!!! Because that's not true I had my visa in 2014 January and traveled for two week with my husband that same year then traveled again in 2015 to have my child and I tried explaining to her but she kept shutting me down and also asked me why I was going for an associate degree instead of a masters and I told her I was actually going for a masters but need to get prerequisites from the college to enable go for the accelerated masters program in nursing she shut me down again, I wasn't given the opportunity to explain myself for that reason my visa was denied!!! We just reapplied but could only get a date in Abuja.

Is your first degree in nursing ?...

also did you later inform the embassy that you were going to have a baby?.... if u didn't that's the misrepresentation
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ubigurl: 8:48am On Aug 27, 2019
Yes I did, I sent a mail to them to notify them before I left I even showed the mail at my point of entry but the thing is I can't find the mail again in my email could only find the second one I sent in 2016 when I went to have my second child. My first degree is in chemistry but the accelerated nursing program specifically designed for students who already have a bachelor's degree in another field. Also known as second degree nursing programs, accelerated programs
LagosismyHome:

Is your first degree in nursing ?...

also did you later inform the embassy that you were going to have a baby?.... if u didn't that's the misrepresentation
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Timi1990(m): 8:56am On Aug 27, 2019
Northeastern:

When people take their time to give a robust response that more than addresses the question asked, you folks would still come up with these your easy out questions. It is not hard, go and try your luck, the person you are asking didn’t appear before the VO without writing a standardized exam. You guys should learn to ask reasonable questions.

You can deceive some people but not everyone, in your books, it is only the CGPA and standardized tests that the adcom considers to make admission decisions. You failed to give the specifics of your case and the fact that no two candidates are the same. There are types of scholarships, what you are being encouraged to seek is not a GA position. Scholarship played the final role in my decision to select my school. Despite getting a $65,000 scholarship from Northeastern, I turned them down because I got a GA in my present school.

I have been required on several occasions to enter my GMAT scores when applying for jobs. An interviewer in London had once told me that getting a GA position was no small achievement, I guess she said so because it is not common to get a full scholarship in the UK. The point is, you are better off with a standardized test. The assumption here is that those aspiring to school in the US want to get a job post-graduation, no be to come dey struggle. So, everyone should check the necessary boxes to clear all doubts. That leads me to my next story.

I took the TOEFL yesterday in preparation for a fall 2020 admission. I want to change careers. I met a Naija guy who told me that I was wasting my money, he is a permanent resident. All he had for me was bad news, of how I will not get a job after my program because his friend is stranded in the US after his MBA. He didn’t allow me to say anything because he thought he knew more than I do because he is a PR.
I told him that unlike his friend, my MBA program is STEM-designated and I wouldn’t be needing the 3 years for OPT because I would get my GC few months after my graduation. He asked if it is through marriage, I show him my wedding ring and told him I am married. I told him about the EB3 visa, he didn’t know what it is. While we were on it, his ride came and he left immediately.

Please if you are coming here on F1 and you have $24,000 to spare, you can get the GC before graduation. The entire process takes about 14 months. I didn’t know this when I came else I for don file my i-485 by now. I remember someone here last year saying that he’ll soon get his GC and it is not through marriage, he was a master's student. I strongly believe he was referring to this route.

Update.

I got a couple of PMs which I believe are as a result of the EB3 i mentioned in this post. Ask all your questions here, It will be here for everyone to see and learn from. I know a couple of Nigerians that have used the same route to get the EB3 and some are in the process. My surprise is that everyone kept a tight lip. It was one of my Asian friend that told me about it.

EB3 , H1B, E34 , EW4 etc are not reliable any longer. There’s already a bill in the house on how to handle all these ; definitely the rules will be more tighter than before . Even the marriage route , there’s also new rules coming .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by SOPWriter: 10:25am On Aug 27, 2019
SpaceAdenle:
Guys, my interview is on Thursday and am so tensed. Kindly advise me on preparation based on the latest interviews. I am going to the consulate in Lagos. Time is 6:45am and the VO is 8. Am going to Michigan Technological University to gain masters in Applied Physics. No scholarship by the school but possible scholarship by the supervisor who has already shown serious interest.
Thanks as I await ample and candid advise.
Read multiple transcripts, record your own voice, and talk to the mirror.

Most importantly; be bold

I wish you good luck in your interview.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 27, 2019
Northeastern:

Please if you are coming here on F1 and you have $24,000 to spare, you can get the GC before graduation. The entire process takes about 14 months. I didn’t know this when I came else I for don file my i-485 by now. I remember someone here last year saying that he’ll soon get his GC and it is not through marriage, he was a master's student. I strongly believe he was referring to this route.

Update.

I got a couple of PMs which I believe are as a result of the EB3 i mentioned in this post. Ask all your questions here, It will be here for everyone to see and learn from. I know a couple of Nigerians that have used the same route to get the EB3 and some are in the process. My surprise is that everyone kept a tight lip. It was one of my Asian friend that told me about it.

I'm actually curious how 24k can get you a GC. Yes many Nigerians have used the EB3 route to be a resident, such info is no secret, it's well know if you intend on staying back and have a petitioner willing to file for u.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 27, 2019
How much in Total is the new Visa fee with this news of Reciprocity fee

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ayphash: 2:45pm On Aug 27, 2019
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by walex57(m): 3:14pm On Aug 27, 2019
ubigurl:
Kk I got my visa in January 2014 and traveled on February 2014 for the two weeks vacation then went again in February 2015 to have my son over a year later
In fact after applying for a drop box then I was called for and interview and was asked why I traveled to the and I told them before I was given my present visa, I was just confused when she threw that question at me again. And going for the associate degree, nope that's not the case I'm only going for prerequisites at the college then proceed for my masters it's in the same school and that is the only way to go about it its an accelerated-nursing-program have a family friend that did it and succeeded

It does seem as if you have a rare situation as it is very rare for you to be denied visa based on their miscalculations or misinterpretation of your case, it does happen albeit rare. Maybe luck wasn't just on your side.

If you all you've said here is all that transpired then maybe give it another try. Although a few things to note;

On your I-20 was it associates degree on it or masters? (I'm still confused as to what degree is listed on your I-20) as that is what the VO will go by regardless of what you tell them. Also be wary that any course related to Healthcare/Medicine/ Law is given more scrutiny, reason being that the chances are extremely high that such individual isn't coming back to their parent country. So for Nursing make sure you get your responses apt and convincing.

Also take note that everyone's case is unique with the embassy, that your family friend went with it and succeeded doesn't mean yours will go the same way. We tend to make the mistake of comparing the experiences of others to what ours will look like. That almost never happens. What is paramount is how well you answer the questions asked and how convincing you are.

Wish you the very best again!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Abacino007(m): 3:45pm On Aug 27, 2019
Saw this on US consulate website :

REVISED VISA RECIPROCITY SCHEDULE FOR NIGERIA: Effective worldwide on 29 August, Nigerian citizens will be required to pay a visa issuance fee, or reciprocity fee, for all approved applications for nonimmigrant visas in B, F, H1B, I, L, and R visa classifications. The reciprocity fee will be charged in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee, also known as the MRV fee, which all applicants pay at the time of application. Nigerian citizens whose applications for a nonimmigrant visa are denied will not be charged the new reciprocity fee. Both reciprocity and MRV fees are non-refundable, and their amounts vary based on visa classification.

U.S. law requires U.S. visa fees and validity periods to be based on the treatment afforded to U.S. citizens by foreign governments, insofar as possible. Visa issuance fees are implemented under the principle of reciprocity: when a foreign government imposes additional visa fees on U.S. citizens, the United States will impose reciprocal fees on citizens of that country for similar types of visas. Nationals of a number of countries worldwide are currently required to pay this type of fee after their nonimmigrant visa application is approved.

The total cost for a U.S. citizen to obtain a visa to Nigeria is currently higher than the total cost for a Nigerian to obtain a comparable visa to the United States. The new reciprocity fee for Nigerian citizens is meant to eliminate that cost difference.

Since early 2018, the U.S. government has engaged the Nigerian government to request that the Nigerian government change the fees charged to U.S. citizens for certain visa categories. After eighteen months of review and consultations, the government of Nigeria has not changed its fee structure for U.S. citizen visa applicants, requiring the U.S. Department of State to enact new reciprocity fees in accordance with our visa laws.

The reciprocity fee will be required for all Nigerian citizens worldwide, regardless of where they are applying for a nonimmigrant visa to the United States. The reciprocity fee is required for each visa that is issued, which means both adults and minors whose visa applications are approved will be charged the reciprocity fee. The fee can only be paid at the U.S. Embassy or the U.S. Consulate General. The reciprocity fee cannot be paid at banks or any other location.

The complete reciprocity fee schedule, organized by visa classification, can be found below.

Class Reciprocity Fee
B1 $110
B2 $110
B1/B2 $110
F1 $110

F2 $110

H1B $180

H4 $180

I $210

L1 $303

L2 $303

R1 $80

R2$80

The reciprocity tables displayed on travel.state.gov will be updated to reflect the changes above.

For full details on the implementation of reciprocity fees for Nigerian visas, please visit our websites: https://ng.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/ and http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng

By U.S. Mission Nigeria | 27 August, 2019 | Topics: Consular Affairs, News, Non Immigrant Visas, Press Releases, Visas | Tags: nonimmigrant visas, Reciprocity Fee, Visa

Suggested for You
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by samdgreat2011: 3:46pm On Aug 27, 2019
First week of lectures here, like three weeks of moving around on campus, and I'm thinking what we've actually being studying in Nigeria.

To everyone starting lectures this week, receive understanding beyond your amusement in Jesus name. Amen grin

11 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 4:10pm On Aug 27, 2019
samdgreat2011:
First week of lectures here, like three weeks of moving around on campus, and I'm thinking what we've actually being studying in Nigeria.

To everyone starting lectures this week, receive understanding beyond your amusement in Jesus name. Amen grin

They will come for you as an enemy of the country.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by biikeys(m): 4:16pm On Aug 27, 2019
Timi1990:

EB3 , H1B, E34 , EW4 etc are not reliable any longer. There’s already a bill in the house on how to handle all these ; definitely the rules will be more tighter than before . Even the marriage route , there’s also new rules coming .

There are always bills in the house, many of which never pass-enough partisan politics to handle that. What matters really are USCIS rules which are becoming more and more "skills-based". Employment based green cards EB1,2,3 are still being filed regularly especially EB1,EB-2 NIW with a PhD.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by NoFap123: 6:42pm On Aug 27, 2019
samdgreat2011:

Give us more gist abeg
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tosin18: 8:29pm On Aug 27, 2019
Hello guys. Quick question pls do I stand at an advantage if I pay all my tuition fees before the visa interview?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by horlahsunbo225(m): 8:46pm On Aug 27, 2019
tosin18:
Hello guys. Quick question pls do I stand at an advantage if I pay all my tuition fees before the visa interview?
With tge little i know
The answer is No
U still have to prove the VO that u are not an immigrant
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by 4gunners(m): 8:48pm On Aug 27, 2019
tosin18:
No, it doesn't affect your chances.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DammyNwodo1999: 8:57pm On Aug 27, 2019
THIS IS MY PROPOSED TRANSCRIPT

VO: Pass me your Passport and 120

Me: Looks into his/her eyeballs as I do so.
VO: Why are you going to the US?
ME: Am going to pursue an associate degree in English and American culture in Richland college .

VO: Why the US?
Me: (Smiling) If you have the money, it is no longer news that the US is widely known for their quality Education Standards
- The US emphasizes more on practicals too.
- Also after coming back to Nigeria, the international exposure will be a valuable asset.

VO: Why Richland?
ME: (Smiling) I feel like saying thank you for this question �
- Apart from the knowledge and skills I will gain in Richland, I will be taught by the best instructors in the World.
- The likes of Melinda Bruce, Pamela Chui, Wally Good and Alice lee.
- The diversity in Richland is amazing.
- The facilities is modern and new, with a free WiFi
- The tuition is also reasonable
- The library is incredible
VO: Where did you hear about this school?
ME: To be honest, I did a lot of online research then I compared it with other schools.

VO- How many Schools did you apply to?
Me- 2 Schools

VO- Name them.
Me: Southern Methodist University
And Richland College

VO: How many did you get admitted to?
ME: Just Richland

VO: Who is sponsoring you?
ME: My Mother

VO: What does she do?
ME: She’s the director of...........

VO: You have been denied a Visa before, can you explain why?
ME: It’s all my fault, I received a sad news that morning, so I think my emotions took the very best part of me.

VO: Did you wrote any English text?
ME: No it was not required, but I will be writing an intensive English Text upon my arrival in Richland college.

VO: Are you married?
Me: Yes

VO: When did you finish secondary school?
ME: I finished last year. That’s 2018

VO: What have you been doing since then?
ME: I work as a Clerk

VO: Where?
ME: At.................

VO: What will English and American culture do for you?
ME: Apart from the communication skills I will gain from this program, i inspire to be a great leader in my country, this program will improve me to the best of my capacity in leadership and administrative wise including learning the American way.

VO: Let me see your SA.
ME: (Smiling jejely) Hands it over.

VO: What does your mum do again?
ME: She’s the director of ......

VO: How kind long are you staying in America?
Me: 20Months

VO: What is your Plans after your studies?
ME: I will be returning to Nigeria to pursue my political career.
VO: ok I will be approving your visa.
ME: Thank you

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by waynee2baba: 9:03pm On Aug 27, 2019
DammyNwodo1999:

ME: Am going to pursue an associate degree in English and American culture in Richland college .

Dude April fool don pass na. Tell us you're trolling. You still wan go study English and American culture upon all the advice? Keep giving US embassy free money. sad In fact, dem suppose ban you from applying

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by waynee2baba: 9:05pm On Aug 27, 2019
DammyNwodo1999:

VO: Why the US?
Me: (Smiling) If you have the money, it is no longer news that the US is widely known for their quality Education Standards
- The US emphasizes more on practicals too.
- Also after coming back to Nigeria, the international exposure will be a valuable asset.

Practicals for English and American culture? Guy why na... who do you this thing tongue

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by waynee2baba: 9:13pm On Aug 27, 2019
DammyNwodo1999:

VO: Why Richland?
ME: (Smiling) I feel like saying thank you for this question �
- Apart from the knowledge and skills I will gain in Richland, I will be taught by the best instructors in the World.
- The likes of Melinda Bruce, Pamela Chui, Wally Good and Alice lee.
- The diversity in Richland is amazing.
- The facilities is modern and new, with a free WiFi
- The tuition is also reasonable
- The library is incredible

Leeemaaoo my guy seriously mentioned free WiFi as a reason. Covenant Uni has WiFi, why don't you go there as WiFi is a valid reason for wanting to study in 2019. If you go through with this, dem fit just drop note on your file, even Ghana go mtscheww you if you wan enter grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DammyNwodo1999: 9:14pm On Aug 27, 2019
waynee2baba:

Leeemaaoo my guy seriously mentioned free WiFi as a reason. Covenant Uni has WiFi, why don't you go there as WiFi is a valid reason for wanting to study in 2019. If you go through with this, dem fit just drop note on your file, even Ghana go mtscheww you if you wan enter grin

Is that your best advice?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DammyNwodo1999: 9:15pm On Aug 27, 2019
waynee2baba:

Practicals for English and American culture? Guy why na... who do you this thing tongue

If you can’t be useful please keep quiet
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DammyNwodo1999: 9:15pm On Aug 27, 2019
waynee2baba:

That’s why I posted it so Gurus like you can help out.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DammyNwodo1999: 9:17pm On Aug 27, 2019
waynee2baba:

Dude April fool don pass na. Tell us you're trolling. You still wan go study English and American culture upon all the advice? Keep giving US embassy free money. sad In fact, dem suppose ban you from applying

I thought this platform is meant to teach or improve 1 another. Abi the ones that can help are not online.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by waynee2baba: 9:19pm On Aug 27, 2019
DammyNwodo1999:

VO: What is your Plans after your studies?
ME: I will be returning to Nigeria to pursue my political career.
VO: ok I will be approving your visa.
ME: Thank you

You want to pursue your Political career with an associate degree in American Studies? From Office Clerk to Politician with a certificate in English and American studies. Even Buhari sef fit no get any qualification if at all but him still get Political career abi? I know you're just trolling us but guy if you're actually serious, e no go better for person wey do you this thing cry

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by waynee2baba: 9:21pm On Aug 27, 2019
DammyNwodo1999:

I thought this platform is meant to teach or improve 1 another. Abi the ones that can help are not online.

Wait wait wait guy, don't tell me you're serious? I've dropped a funny transcript here previously and thought you were doing the same. Are you actually for real? shocked

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DammyNwodo1999: 9:22pm On Aug 27, 2019
[quote author=waynee2baba post=81671955]

Dude April fool don pass na. Tell us you're trolling. You still wan go study English and American culture upon all the advice? Keep giving US embassy free money. sad In fact, dem suppose ban you from applying [/

I don’t want to miss all my chances when I still have 1. Do you know what it costs to get to this chapter? Before you reply I guess you should put yourself in my shoes and stop acting like a typical Nigerian. People like you are the reason I want to study American culture. �

(1) (2) (3) ... (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.