Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (731) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1357152 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (728) (729) (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iWise(m): 4:57am On Dec 10, 2020
klawaaa:
Hi, a friend told me that is PhD application to Michigan Tech university was denied due to low GPA. But to my surprise he has a GPA of above 3.5 out of 4.0. If there is anyone who have been admitted or knows anyone that has been admitted into the engineering program should please share their profile. Thanks

If indeed he was denied admission due to low GPA, it must be the case that his GPA from his last 60 credit hours did not measure up. Overall GPA is of little import when it comes to graduate admission.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BGodsonMay: 5:01am On Dec 10, 2020
Thank you so much for your response
solihp:

No you don't need to do that
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 7:26am On Dec 10, 2020
This is not just about strange times. Before now, some schools accept WAEC result with a B or C in English in lieu of Toefl/ielts. Each school has its own requirements.

kastgeraldino:
I don't want to shit on your parade, but I would be seriously worried about any school that mentions WAEC in relation to a graduate degree program as it is in no way an appropriate standardized exam for this situation. Like, really? The worst I've ever heard of grad programs talk about anything close to high school was when some business school programs allowed few candidates to submit their SAT scores in lieu of GMAT during the start of the pandemic. At least one can roughly extrapolate (not always) someone's GMAT/GRE score with SAT. Anyways these are strange times.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 7:28am On Dec 10, 2020
The most important thing is for her to make sure that her name matches the name of her son, whichever name she chooses.

favouredtk:
Hi everyone.

A friend of mine asked some questions which I'm not able to answer. She's not on NL but approved of me posting it here. Please, I need advice from experienced people here.

I will be sharing her story and her questions below. I'll be using imaginary names, so we can follow.

She (maiden name: Ada Okeke) recently lost her husband (Obi Eze) of 3yrs and they had a son (Junior Eze) together before his death.
She is a first class graduate, currently on her Master's program here in Nigeria and is considering PhD in the US (Fall 2021).

She has not done her change of name but on the child's birth certificate, her name is written as Ada Eze.

She's still young, so there's every possibility of remarriage. The child is 18 months old.

Now, she has the following concerns:
How will this affect her going with the child after getting the admission?
Should she still do the change of name so that it matches what is on her child's certificate?
Should she get another birth certificate for the child where her name is written as her maiden name Ada Okeke?
Also, she wants to get her intl passport soon and is not sure if she should do change of name before then or use her maiden name.

It's really complicated but I hope I was able to explain well.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Therealbrizzy(m): 7:59am On Dec 10, 2020
nexytom:
Please I need some guidance.

1. If I have someone who can pay sevis for me in the US, how do they go about it?

2. What do I need to show up with in case there is a co-sponsor.?

3. I applied for a masters program despite already having a masters degree here in Nigeria, will this come off as desperate?

Please advice, interview is a week away.

1- Go to fmjfee.com and create a coupon pdf page and send to the person in US, so he/she can use it to help you pay at any western union location. $350

2- All you need is your sponsors statement of account showing more than your deficit.

3- It doesn’t mean if you already have a master in Nigeria, you can have more than one master in different departments if you want to.

I hope this would help, stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by favouredtk: 8:18am On Dec 10, 2020
zeeLady:
The most important thing is for her to make sure that her name matches the name of her son, whichever name she chooses.

Thanks ma'am.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AkinOseni: 9:04am On Dec 10, 2020
Good morning all. Now I'm done catching my breath. Here goes the transcript:

School : Bowling Green State University, Ohio
Programme: MA (Literary and Textual Studies)
Visa : F1
Funding: $25508
Deficit: 3K

I was attended to in an anteroom by some white male VO

VO: How did you know about Bowling Green ( being the first question, while seeming not to have heard my greetings).

Me: I read about BGSU in Princeton Review. EducationUSA and through some random google searches.

VO: How many schools did you choose?

Me: I chose two schools— Alabama and BGSU

VO (cuts in ) so BGSU gave you more money than Alabama and that’s why you are choosing BGSU?

Me : (confused and almost lost for words) No, not really...ermm... I had actually chosen BGSU because the university is rated high in terms of teaching quality, not only in Ohio but also in the United States as a whole.

VO: No (speaking assertively) you have chosen BGSU because of the money, or did Alabama offer you any money? How much did Alabama offer you?

Me: (almost dumbfounded) not really because of the money ...

VO: No, it may be because of the money. There is nothing wrong about that. $25508 is a huge money.

VO: Where do you stay?

Me: Ikorodu here in Lagos

VO: Oh OK, you are a teacher?

Me: Yes I am a teacher. I teach Literature at Eppie International School

VO: What?

Me: Eppie International School at Ikorodu

VO: How many students do you have?

Me: you mean the number of students I teach or you are referring to the school capacity?

VO: Yes, I mean the school capacity

Me: 120 in all

VO: What? (sounded stunned)

Me: Yes, 120. It’s a high-paying school.

VO: What do you teach?

Me: I teach Literature and I also freelance for Digirature (I don’t think he heard the latter)

VO: So who is your favourite author?

Me: William Shakespeare (I actually fancy Alexander Pope the most but Shakespeare surfaced first in my heart and I did not want to engage in any internal conflict, not at that moment)

VO: so you did English Literature (or something like that)

Me: Yes I did. In fact, I taught Shakespearean texts during my national youth service scheme at the department of English, Zamfara College of Arts and Science.

VO: Do you know Nnedi Okorafor

Me: (Just heard the name for the first time). ‘No I don’t.

VO: (looked astonished) you don’t? s/he is a Nigerian. S/he wrote the novel — Lagoon.

Me: Oh, I don’t know her. There are many great Nigerian authors such as Sefi Atta, Chimamanda Adichie, Lola Soneyin, Chogozie Agbim (Obioma intended but I ended up calling the name of a Nigerian goalkeeper but I mustered that divinely inspired confidence ) and a couple of others – pulling this as a stunt not to appear blank and stupid on home front .

VO: But you don’t know Nnedi Okorafo?

Me: what text did you say he wrote, again?

VO: Lagoon

Me: I don’t get that. Could you spell please?

VO: Lagoon like where we are ( referring to the location of the consulate on the Island)

Me: Oh OK. When was that published?

VO: it was published in 2014, no sorry 2015. It is about some aliens who came from ... hesitated

Me : (I quickly filled in an attempt to take charge of the conversation and make up for my ignorance about the author) ... from the space

VO: Yes from the space. It is quite interesting. Muttered other words but I could only hear so when you get to .... don’t blah blah ... Goodluck to you...

Actually, I didn’t know what his decision was but he gave me a white paper and retained my passport and I was sure he had approved my visas.

Epilogue (Comedy of Error)

The guy at the door told me congratulations (perhaps he had heave-dropped the VO). I was happy too until I got out and read the paper:

The consular officer refused your visas due to CGI reason. You need to submit additional documentation and maybe schedule another appointment. My hair stood on end. I couldn’t get the drift. I knew if I had my visas denied, he should not be with my passport. Many thoughts were competing for attention in my heart, the most prominent of which was that I had been denied the visa because I did not know the Nigerian author – Nnedi Okarafor. But I was not too convinced about the refusal since he retained my passport and offered a white paper after the interview.

So I took everything to the CGI point for further clarification.

The woman who attended to me asked: what did the VO tell? Did he say your visa has been approved or did he tell you to provide any document? ‘ I couldn’t even get him because he was rushing towards the last part of the interview,’ I said. But he has my passport with him. ‘ He has your passport with him?’ the woman asked. Yes.

OK, bring your Confirmation. I gave her. She came back some 10 minutes later with a man, both smiling. ‘I’ve got some good news for you, said the woman. ‘You will go in again and meet my colleague, the man added.’

I was led to the interview room again. I had thought it would be another round of quizzing. But on get there, the guy quickly spotted me and led me to a woman. He was the one given the wrong paper. It was a mistake, the VO wanted to give you your pick up note — your visas has been approved.

She took the other paper from me and gave me white paper for Issued visa delivery. If you want somebody to collect your visas on your behalf, fill the back paper (blah blah blah)

Remember, a fellow posted something like being initially denied and later called back? I did not altogether believe but I had a change of mind yesterday after the spectacles of comedy of error.

Note : Prepare well and don’t rely solely on regular questions. My interview did not altogether take the regular route. Remember some very basic things in your field too. Who knows if the VO has just bagged a degree in International Relations and may be willing to test your knowledge on the most basic thing about the discipline?

Most importantly, pray, pray and pray as if that is the only thing you are taking to the interview. Our God is able. Alhamdulillah. I pray Allah, our God ease the affairs for those having their own interviews in coming days.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by FutureSenator: 9:25am On Dec 10, 2020
AkinOseni:

Most importantly, pray, pray and pray as if that is the only thing you are taking to the interview. Our God is able. Alhamdulillah. I pray Allah, our God ease the affairs for those having their own interviews in coming days.

I tap into your blessings. Congratulations man.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by omofolajomi: 9:44am On Dec 10, 2020
Good morning all,
How are we all doing today, Congratulations to all that just got their visa approved.
Please i still need information on nursing school for undergraduate either in US or Uk that is offering scholarship for my neice.
NOTE= She has good grades in her WAEC.
If you have any information kindly share with me.
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pepperoni001: 10:41am On Dec 10, 2020
Good Morning,

My visa was delayed last month in Lagos.

However, I updated my profile, choose previously denied and choose Abuja as my next venue.

I requested for an emergency date and it was denied.

Can I still use the same MRV to seek another emergency date and what are the implications.

Thank you all
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TENDON: 10:46am On Dec 10, 2020
[Kindly contact Walspring he helped with mine and it was on point. I got the acknowledgement of payment in 5hrs. quote author=nexytom post=96911868]Please I need some guidance.

1. If I have someone who can pay sevis for me in the US, how do they go about it?

2. What do I need to show up with in case there is a co-sponsor.?

3. I applied for a masters program despite already having a masters degree here in Nigeria, will this come off as desperate?

Please advice, interview is a week away. [/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by godguy: 10:49am On Dec 10, 2020
godguy:
hello All,

Thanks you for this thread and the information shared.
here is my case:
Married with 2 kids and wife pregnant, both of us are going for MSc and currently considering a number of Universities with funding, we have streamlined to 1 or 2.
we are both planning to go by Spring 2022, but we have already started the process, initially my plan was to go for Fall 2021 while she goes for Spring 2022. But we are considering both of us going together.
Here is the issue iam applying for F1, wife is applying for F1 and kids applying for F2 (with my wife as the F1), i will like to seek for advise, help and suggestions on things to do to get Visa approved. Please note that we want to go for the interview same time and date

thanks

@Fairheart
@majorstark
Therealbrizzy
zeeLady
thekingofafrica:

somebody should please help me with response
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:11am On Dec 10, 2020
godguy:
hello All,

Thanks you for this thread and the information shared.
here is my case:
Married with 2 kids and wife pregnant, both of us are going for MSc and currently considering a number of Universities with funding, we have streamlined to 1 or 2.
we are both planning to go by Spring 2022, but we have already started the process, initially my plan was to go for Fall 2021 while she goes for Spring 2022. But we are considering both of us going together.
Here is the issue iam applying for F1, wife is applying for F1 and kids applying for F2 (with my wife as the F1), i will like to seek for advise, help and suggestions on things to do to get Visa approved. Please note that we want to go for the interview same time and date

thanks

@Fairheart
@majorstark
Therealbrizzy
zeeLady
thekingofafrica:

The first step is to get admission possibly with funding then other things can fall into place. You want someone to comment on spring 2022...anything can happen or changes can be made by that time. It too far in advance

So first step is really admission
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 11:20am On Dec 10, 2020
Pepperoni001:
Good Morning,

My visa was delayed last month in Lagos.

However, I updated my profile, choose previously denied and choose Abuja as my next venue.

I requested for an emergency date and it was denied.

Can I still use the same MRV to seek another emergency date and what are the implications.

Thank you all

no, you cannot.

when is your start date?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pepperoni001: 12:10pm On Dec 10, 2020
January 12th

Stevenssen:

no, you cannot.

when is your start date?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tjayyy2406: 12:23pm On Dec 10, 2020
Wow! Congratulations!
I remember one of your earlier posts this month talking about how your December 11th was rescheduled and the email was conflicting because December 11th wasn't the following day. Please how did you get the December 9th date for your interview?

AkinOseni:

Programme: MA (Literary and Textual Studies)
Visa : F1
Funding: $25508
Deficit: 3K

VO: How did you know about Bowling Green ( being the first question, while seeming not to have heard my greetings).

Me: I read about BGSU in Princeton Review. EducationUSA and through some random google searches.

VO: How many schools did you choose?

Me: I chose two schools— Alabama and BGSU

VO (cuts in ) so BGSU gave you more money than Alabama and that’s why you are choosing BGSU?

Me : (confused and almost lost for words) No, not really...ermm... I had actually chosen BGSU because the university is rated high in terms of teaching quality, not only in Ohio but also in the United States as a whole.

VO: No (speaking assertively) you have chosen BGSU because of the money, or did Alabama offer you any money? How much did Alabama offer you?

Me: (almost dumbfounded) not really because of the money ...

VO: No, it may be because of the money. There is nothing wrong about that. $25508 is a huge money.

VO: Where do you stay?

Me: Ikorodu here in Lagos

VO: Oh OK, you are a teacher?

Me: Yes I am a teacher. I teach Literature at Eppie International School

VO: What?

Me: Eppie International School at Ikorodu

VO: How many students do you have?

Me: you mean the number of students I teach or you are referring to the school capacity?

VO: Yes, I mean the school capacity

Me: 120 in all

VO: What? (sounded stunned)

Me: Yes, 120. It’s a high-paying school.

VO: What do you teach?

Me: I teach Literature and I also freelance for Digirature (I don’t think he heard the latter)

VO: So who is your favourite author?

Me: William Shakespeare (I actually fancy Alexander Pope the most but Shakespeare surfaced first in my heart and I did not want to engage in any internal conflict, not at that moment)

VO: so you did English Literature (or something like that)

Me: Yes I did. In fact, I taught Shakespearean texts during my national youth service scheme at the department of English, Zamfara College of Arts and Science.

VO: Do you know Nnedi Okorafor

Me: (Just heard the name for the first time). ‘No I don’t.

VO: (looked astonished) you don’t? s/he is a Nigerian. S/he wrote the novel — Lagoon.

Me: Oh, I don’t know her. There are many great Nigerian authors such as Sefi Atta, Chimamanda Adichie, Lola Soneyin, Chogozie Agbim (Obioma intended but I ended up calling the name of a Nigerian goalkeeper but I mustered that divinely inspired confidence ) and a couple of others – pulling this as a stunt not to appear blank and stupid on home front .

VO: But you don’t know Nnedi Okorafo?

Me: what text did you say he wrote, again?

VO: Lagoon

Me: I don’t get that. Could you spell please?

VO: Lagoon like where we are ( referring to the location of the consulate on the Island)

Me: Oh OK. When was that published?

VO: it was published in 2014, no sorry 2015. It is about some aliens who came from ... hesitated

Me : (I quickly filled in an attempt to take charge of the conversation and make up for my ignorance about the author) ... from the space

VO: Yes from the space. It is quite interesting. Muttered other words but I could only hear so when you get to .... don’t blah blah ... Goodluck to you...

Actually, I didn’t know what his decision was but he gave me a white paper and retained my passport and I was sure he had approved my visas.

Epilogue (Comedy of Error)

The guy at the door told me congratulations (perhaps he had heave-dropped the VO). I was happy too until I got out and read the paper:

The consular officer refused your visas due to CGI reason. You need to submit additional documentation and maybe schedule another appointment. My hair stood on end. I couldn’t get the drift. I knew if I had my visas denied, he should not be with my passport. Many thoughts were competing for attention in my heart, the most prominent of which was that I had been denied the visa because I did not know the Nigerian author – Nnedi Okarafor. But I was not too convinced about the refusal since he retained my passport and offered a white paper after the interview.

So I took everything to the CGI point for further clarification.

The woman who attended to me asked: what did the VO tell? Did he say your visa has been approved or did he tell you to provide any document? ‘ I couldn’t even get him because he was rushing towards the last part of the interview,’ I said. But he has my passport with him. ‘ He has your passport with him?’ the woman asked. Yes.

OK, bring your Confirmation. I gave her. She came back some 10 minutes later with a man, both smiling. ‘I’ve got some good news for you, said the woman. ‘You will go in again and meet my colleague, the man added.’

I was led to the interview room again. I had thought it would be another round of quizzing. But on get there, the guy quickly spotted me and led me to a woman. He was the one given the wrong paper. It was a mistake, the VO wanted to give you your pick up note — your visas has been approved.

She took the other paper from me and gave me white paper for Issued visa delivery. If you want somebody to collect your visas on your behalf, fill the back paper (blah blah blah)

Remember, a fellow posted something like being initially denied and later called back? I did not altogether believe but I had a change of mind yesterday after the spectacles of comedy of error.

Note : Prepare well and don’t rely solely on regular questions. My interview did not altogether take the regular route. Remember some very basic things in your field too. Who knows if the VO has just bagged a degree in International Relations and may be willing to test your knowledge on the most basic thing about the discipline?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tomison(m): 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2020
Hello everyone, please for those that thier interview was rescheduled from 11th of December to 15th of January, have anyone gotten new emergency dates approved
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by chibertha(f): 12:31pm On Dec 10, 2020
She has no issues at all as long as she has death certificate of her husband
Good for her she stil uses her maiden name so it makes life easier for her.
She can get a new birth certificate that puts has her maiden name as fathers name.
N/B
She needs the husband's death certificate( must come from a recognized health facility eg government hospitals) and burial flyer with a few pictures in order for her to get babies passport and also travel , just to prove she is not stealing the child from its father

favouredtk:
Hi everyone.

A friend of mine asked some questions which I'm not able to answer. She's not on NL but approved of me posting it here. Please, I need advice from experienced people here.

I will be sharing her story and her questions below. I'll be using imaginary names, so we can follow.

She (maiden name: Ada Okeke) recently lost her husband (Obi Eze) of 3yrs and they had a son (Junior Eze) together before his death.
She is a first class graduate, currently on her Master's program here in Nigeria and is considering PhD in the US (Fall 2021).

She has not done her change of name but on the child's birth certificate, her name is written as Ada Eze.

She's still young, so there's every possibility of remarriage. The child is 18 months old.

Now, she has the following concerns:
How will this affect her going with the child after getting the admission?
Should she still do the change of name so that it matches what is on her child's certificate?
Should she get another birth certificate for the child where her name is written as her maiden name Ada Okeke?
Also, she wants to get her intl passport soon and is not sure if she should do change of name before then or use her maiden name.

It's really complicated but I hope I was able to explain well.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 12:40pm On Dec 10, 2020
Hi guys. This may seem like a redundant question but I guess that one should always use the latest I-20, right? I'm asking cos the I-20 that I got a few weeks ago had my total funding equal to total cost of attendance. Now the updated I-20 has funding that is $5K above total cost of attendance. Total cost is 75K per year and total funding 80K per year. Is that possible? I did not get any info on extras. Just wondering on the consequence of having funding on I-20 that doesn't match the award letter.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AkinOseni: 12:48pm On Dec 10, 2020
Tjayyy2406:
Wow! Congratulations!
I remember one of your earlier posts this month talking about how your December 11th was rescheduled and the email was conflicting because December 11th wasn't the following day. Please how did you get the December 9th date for your interview?

Yes you are right. Remember a guy eventually intimated us that dates were released after the cancellation and that prompted me to imagine the consulate was only trying to get us pay for another form. I called the consulate immediately but the lady insisted I stick to Jan 15th.

Immediately I dropped the call, I logged in to my dashboard and gambled with the ‘reschedule’ tab even after I had initially got the popular mantra — your something something is larger than ... blah blah. But that very moment the message did not pop up. I saw available date — Wednesday 9th 2020 (1). I clicked and got email notification that my appointment had been rescheduled.

But I beg us, in everything, let’s not joke with the power of prayer. Nothing, before our Maker, is impossible.

I was asking my brother yesterday if I wasn’t dreaming. E get why.

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tjayyy2406: 12:55pm On Dec 10, 2020
Ohh wow! This is truly God's favor at work here. Thanks for the information and congratulations once again.

AkinOseni:

Yes you are right. Remember a guy eventually intimated us that dates were released after the cancellation and that prompted me to imagine the consulate was only trying to get us pay for another form. I called the consulate immediately but the lady insisted I stick to Jan 15th.

Immediately I dropped the call, I logged in to my dashboard and gambled with the ‘reschedule’ tab even after I had initially got the popular mantra — your something something is larger than ... blah blah. But that very moment the message did not pop up. I saw available date — Wednesday 9th 2020 (1). I clicked and got email notification that my appointment had been rescheduled.

But I beg us, in everything, let’s not joke with the power of prayer. Nothing, before our Maker, is impossible.

I was asking my brother yesterday if I wasn’t dreaming. E get why.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AkinOseni: 12:56pm On Dec 10, 2020
Please, can anybody explain how I can access mails sent to me on this platform? I have tried and tried to do that but to no avail. Please, this is the reason if I’ve not replied your message. Please kindly help.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mousano(f): 12:58pm On Dec 10, 2020
@AkinOseni

A big congratulations to you.

I submitted my application to BGSU 2 days ago for Fall 2021.

Can you please reply my message, I sent you an email. Please reply.
Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mousano(f): 12:59pm On Dec 10, 2020
AkinOseni:
Please, can anybody explain how I can access mails sent to me on this platform? I have tried and tried to do that but to no avail. Please, this is the reason if I’ve not replied your message. Please kindly help.
Go to the email you registered with.
Then reply the messages received. The recipient will be notified of your response.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bayocanny: 1:02pm On Dec 10, 2020
Application Fee Waiver!!
University of Pittsburgh codes (H2P)
University Dallas (scholar 2021)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by GreatMage: 1:03pm On Dec 10, 2020
iWise:

If indeed he was denied admission due to low GPA, it must be the case that his GPA from his last 60 credit hours did not measure up. Overall GPA is of little import when it comes to graduate admission.

Pls I have a bachelor with a first class...

Can I apply for PhD with it?

I don't understand how it works without a masters
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by SeunTol: 1:13pm On Dec 10, 2020
kastgeraldino:
Hi guys. This may seem like a redundant question but I guess that one should always use the latest I-20, right? I'm asking cos the I-20 that I got a few weeks ago had my total funding equal to total cost of attendance. Now the updated I-20 has funding that is $5K above total cost of attendance. Total cost is 75K per year and total funding 80K per year. Is that possible? I did not get any info on extras. Just wondering on the consequence of having funding on I-20 that doesn't match the award letter.

You can write them an email to call their attention to it. If they have their reasons, they will clarify or correct it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AkinOseni: 1:31pm On Dec 10, 2020
mousano:
Go to the email you registered with.
Then reply the messages received. The recipient will be notified of your response.

Thanks very much. I will do that.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Molly90(f): 1:42pm On Dec 10, 2020
You can apply directly for a PhD with your first class degree. Just look for the PhD requirements for the schools you will be checking. Many schools accept the direct cohort considering your academic stand. You can contact the program coordinator/ assistant or the graduate coordinator if you have any concerns.

GreatMage:

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Molly90(f): 1:55pm On Dec 10, 2020
I got admitted for an Engineering PhD program at Michigan Tech Uni. Had a 2.46/5 for my B.Sc and 4.54/5 for my masters. I do not have an Engineering background but got admitted.

klawaaa:
Hi, a friend told me that is PhD application to Michigan Tech university was denied due to low GPA. But to my surprise he has a GPA of above 3.5 out of 4.0. If there is anyone who have been admitted or knows anyone that has been admitted into the engineering program should please share their profile. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 1:58pm On Dec 10, 2020
There's a reason why a PhD in the US is for at least five years. It is because the programme contains both requirements for the Masters and PhD together. The first two years usually qualifies you to earn a Masters. For those who decide not to continue in academia, they can simply drop out after two years and earn an MSc, MA or whatever masters. I dunno if I'm making sense but it's not as if you are skipping Masters and going straight to PhD, but it is just that the way the US does it is that after undergrad (BSc, BA, et al), you just apply for PhD programme in which the Masters requirement is part of the PhD. Somewhat different from UK and Nigeria, but still the same when you consider the fact that Masters is about 2 years and the PhD proper is 3 years in UK and Nigeria.

GreatMage:

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (728) (729) (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.