Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? (14412 Views)

Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament / Some Muslims Will Make Heaven While Some Christians Will Not. / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 7:36pm On Oct 06, 2010
I know of someone who prefers to package his tithe and give it to orphanages, motherless babies, disabled people, etc. He argues that a lot of these churches just can't be trusted and that giving service/help to people who need it is service/help to God.

GBIM! GBIM!

Two Gbim = one GBAM

You have said it all. I think this is the best thing to do. Aside the fact that many pastors use tithes to enrich themselves, it is not scriptural.

I am still yet to see anyone that would come up with scriptural backing (especially from the ne testament) on paying of tithe. sad
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by samoks(m): 7:42pm On Oct 06, 2010
chiteny:

GBIM! GBIM!

Two Gbim = one GBAM

You have said it all. I think this is the best thing to do. Aside the fact that many pastors use tithes to enrich themselves, it is not scriptural.

I am still yet to see anyone that would come up with scriptural backing (especially from the ne testament) on paying of tithe. sad

where are those Pastors in the house supporting Tithes, come out now and show us in the new testament where JESUS asked his followers, of which we are one today, to pay tithes in church,
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 7:57pm On Oct 06, 2010
A good Christian is not just he that goes to church everyday and listens to his pastor everyday and follows wholly (hook line and sinker or sheepishly as you would say) whatever the pastor says from the pulpit. A good Christian is he that goes back home as well and studies his bible by himself for himself. It is good to know the bible for yourself and believe what you read by yourself because on that last day, your pastor would not be by your side to help you answer your question. it will be you and God alone. This is what is lacking in the Christian community (studying the bible by ourselves to know the truth embedded in it). Rather we prefer to have the fast food (swallowing all we hear from the pulpit without cross-proofing from the bible when we get back home)
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by oluwabamis(m): 9:18pm On Oct 06, 2010
maybe this video will tell you why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67wiZovdpl0
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by adetoru(f): 8:38pm On Oct 07, 2010
Well I pay tithes because I get the blessing of tithing.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 9:58pm On Oct 07, 2010
ok o!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by MaiSuya(m): 10:05pm On Oct 07, 2010
I believe its the duty of every Christian to support the Gospel with his/her substance, and tithe paying a means of doing so. As for me, I certianly dn't hate paying it; yes, it can be challenging sometimes, given the competing demands that one faces. I believe once a born again Christian understands that all he/she has actually belongs to God, then paying tithe shouldn't be such a difficulty.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 10:11pm On Oct 07, 2010
But no one has been able to reply my challenge? angry sad sad

Pls someone show me a place in the new testament where tithing is encouraged/practised/adviced and the consequences/curse/reward of not doing so!

Ok let me make it more exciting. i will give the person who convinces me of the above challenge N[b]20,000 in cash[/b]. tongue cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by commoninfo: 1:33pm On Oct 09, 2010
God is never in need of any money,neither does He needs your Tithe.You are the one who's in need. And God want to meet with your need, but GREED have prevent a lot of Christians from been blessed. Some christian hate to pay Tithe because they are greedy. Tithing is an arrangement by God to loose your finance from tightness. Please, endeavor to pay your Tithe so you can be blessed. For further understanding, visit: http://www.kingpalaceministries.org
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 1:34pm On Oct 09, 2010
Since no one has come forth with anything to match this challenge and get the price, i guess i have to hold my cash back. I have put back my cash in my pocket. Have fun every one and study your bible very well before doing what you see every body doing.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 1:37pm On Oct 09, 2010
God is never in need of any money,neither does He needs your Tithe.You are the one who's in need. And God want to meet with your need, but GREED have prevent a lot of Christians from been blessed. Some christian hate to pay Tithe because they are greedy. Tithing is an arrangement by God to loose your finance from tightness. Please, endeavor to pay your Tithe so you can be blessed. For further understanding, visit: http://www.kingpalaceministries.org

No scriptural backing so i consider you statement as quoted above very worthless. wink
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by MaiSuya(m): 9:13pm On Oct 09, 2010
@chitney, here's your scriptural backing:

Luke 11:42
42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
KJV
Here, expressed succinctly in The living Bible:

Luke 11:42
42 "But woe to you Pharisees! For though you are careful to tithe even the smallest part of your income, you completely forget about justice and the love of God. [b]You should tithe, yes, [/b]but you should not leave these other things undone.
       TLB   

Emphasis mine
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by ada24: 9:16am On Oct 10, 2010
Mai Suya:

@chitney, here's your scriptural backing:
Here, expressed succinctly in The living Bible:

Emphasis mine

please read the whole passage and don't highlight the bit that suits u. someone sent me the below statement recently. I think God prefers acts of love and kindness to ur fellow humans that tithes.

The Scriptures teach that Christians should be diligent to provide for their families. Any Christian who is able to work but makes no effort to support his or her family is worse than an infidel. Jesus Christ Himself taught that a Christian should first provide for his or her family before using personal income for other purposes, including offerings to God. Jesus condemmed the Jews who gave offerings, or "corban," to the temple treasury while neglecting their needy parents. God does not want Christians to neglect the basic needs of their families in order to give tithes and offerings. Those Christians who have a limited income and are able only to meet their basic needs have no actual increase from which to tithe. God desires mercy and not sacrifice.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 3:26pm On Oct 10, 2010
Mai Suya please pardon me i will reply u soon. I guess it might be a whole sermon. i am not just chanced at the moment.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by KunleOshob(m): 4:59pm On Oct 10, 2010
@mai suya
In luke 11:42 which you quoted, Jesus was addressing the pharisees who were under the law and who ought to tithe as people who were under the law should. However in our case, christians are not under the law are are not expected to tithe. That is apart from the fact that the type of tithes preached and practised today [monetary tithes from income] has no basis in scripture, it is a fraudulent manipulation of the biblical tithes which was agricultural produce.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 5:40pm On Oct 10, 2010
Mai_Suya, thanks for the above scripture. I really do not have time but I will see how much I can dissect the scripture u just wrote and put more meaning into it. However I guess this is the only one u could find.

1. What did the Pharisees tithe? Mint: this is a genus of strongly-scented herbs. And Roe: this is a genus of strongly scented evergreen subshrubs 20–60 cm tall, in the family Rutaceae, native to the Mediterranean region, Macaronesia and southwest Asia. And then all manner of herbs (looking at the King James Version). There was no mention of money as is practiced today. embarassed
2. I was expecting to see a word from the New Testament saying that tithing was done by the apostles or Jesus himself. But no word saying we should tithe as Christians or punishment for the consequences of not tithing (as opposed to the way our pastor say that no tithing will make u tight). Rather this was Jesus lamenting on a practice of the Pharisees.
3. So what exactly was Jesus lamenting about? The emphasis on that passage was not about tithing. If you read from the beginning you would understand. Ada24 made this clear so I may not say much here. He (Jesus) also said “Woe to you Lawyers for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.” Luke 11:46 (lawyers sorry o cheesy. na Jesus talk am. Good thing I am an Engineer grin grin)
4. What actually is this tithing? Deuteronomy 14:22-29 explains [/b]what it is all about. But unfortunately this is completely different from what is being done today in our churches. I cannot explain the scripture above but pls do well to read it yourself (as it is very explanatory) and you will find about that what we do now in our churches is completely outrageous. Money was only mentioned when u can’t bring what you have. [b]And besides u don’t tithe the money. You convert it back to food stuff to tithe. cool
5. After Jesus left to come back again soon, was there any record or tithing amongst His disciples who walked with him all through his ministry days? They should have been the first to enact this tithing thing as they received first hand from Jesus all his teachings while here was on earth here.
6. I may not remember the scripture reference nor the way it is written word for word, but it goes something like “why do we make his death and resurrection (thus his shedding of blood of Jesus) of no effect. Seeing that we lay rules for men which amount to nothing, putting men into more yoke and making Christianity difficult. Some one who knows where I am referring to should help me with the scriptural verse. It’s in the New Testament. I am saying this as most pastors always use tithe as an excuse for the devil to attack some one whether financially or otherwise. So if I am a Christian and believe in the power of God and have Jesus as my Lord and Savior, the devil still has access to me? Something is wrong. maybe i should not even be a christian in the first place
7. Tithing as part of the law must be done along side other practices of the law. Mind you that “All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Gal 3:10 (NRS)

I think I will halt here and write another sermon by the time this one is responded to. Thanks all and have a happy Sunday.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by MaiSuya(m): 9:06pm On Oct 10, 2010
ada24:

please read the whole passage and don't highlight the bit that suits u. someone sent me the below statement recently. I think God prefers acts of love and kindness to your fellow humans that tithes.

The Scriptures teach that Christians should be diligent to provide for their families. Any Christian who is able to work but makes no effort to support his or her family is worse than an infidel. Jesus Christ Himself taught that a Christian should first provide for his or her family before using personal income for other purposes, including offerings to God.

PLEEEASE where on earth did you get that from? Scripture please!! shocked  The whole idea of Christianity is putting God first IN EVERYTHING (yes, your finances inclusive). The scenario you're painting--now that I have satisfied myself and my family, let me look for whatever is left to give to God is, I believe, unscriptural.

ada24:

Jesus condemmed the Jews who gave offerings, or "corban," to the temple treasury while neglecting their needy parents. God does not want Christians to neglect the basic needs of their families in order to give tithes and offerings.

While I can remember reading something like that, I would love it if you could provide a scriptural backing for this.

ada24:

Those Christians who have a limited income and are able only to meet their basic needs have no actual increase from which to tithe. God desires mercy and not sacrifice.

Is tithing about increase? BTW as I understand it, Tithing is not a sacrifice; its a seed.

KunleOshob:

@mai suya
In luke 11:42 which you quoted, Jesus was addressing the pharisees who were under the law and who ought to tithe as people who were under the law should. However in our case, christians are not under the law are are not expected to tithe. That is apart from the fact that the type of tithes preached and practised today [monetary tithes from income] has no basis in scripture, it is a fraudulent manipulation of the biblical tithes which was agricultural produce.

Your point about we not being under the law is taken, however, regarding monetary tithes you may want to look at this:

Deut 14:23-25
24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the LORD your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the LORD your God has blessed you, 25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses.
NKJV

@Chitney I no go ansa till you pay my 20k  grin grin grin
HAPPY SUNDAY EV1!!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 9:31pm On Oct 10, 2010
Mai Suya, please read verse 26 of the same Deut 14 to find out that the money was not given as tithe. Rather it was used to buy stuff that is to be tithed.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by ogajim(m): 10:29pm On Oct 10, 2010
Those who advocate tithing as a Christian mandate are SCAMMERS QED.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by KunleOshob(m): 9:22am On Oct 11, 2010
chiteny:

Mai Suya, please read verse 26 of the same Deut 14 to find out that the money was not given as tithe. Rather it was used to buy stuff that is to be tithed.

Mai suya deliberately ommiting verse 26 of the scripture he quoted gos to show that he is just a scammer like the rest of them out to manipulate scripture for selfish and greedy gain.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by KunleOshob(m): 9:37am On Oct 11, 2010
Mai Suya:

PLEEEASE where on earth did you get that from? Scripture please!! shocked The whole idea of Christianity is putting God first IN EVERYTHING (yes, your finances inclusive). The scenario you're painting--now that I have satisfied myself and my family, let me look for whatever is left to give to God is, I believe, unscriptural.

While I can remember reading something like that, I would love it if you could provide a scriptural backing for this.

Obviously you have a lot of brushing up to do concerning studying and understanding the scriptures, the scriptures below should help:

Matthew 15:5-9:
5 But you say it is all right for people to say to their parents, ‘Sorry, I can’t help you. For I have vowed to give to God [tithes] what I would have given to you.’ 6 In this way, you say they don’t need to honor their parents. And so you cancel the word of God for the sake of your own tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you, for he wrote, 8 ‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 Their worship is a farce,
for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.

1 Timothy 5:8:

8 But those who won’t care for their relatives, especially those in their own household, have denied the true faith. Such people are worse than unbelievers.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by KunleOshob(m): 9:40am On Oct 11, 2010
@Mai suya
Here is a bonus treaching for you wink

Colossians 2:8:

8 Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.

A typical example of high sounding nonsense is "if you don't tithe, it would be tight for you."
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 10:32am On Oct 11, 2010
@Mai suya
Here is a bonus treaching for you

Colossians 2:8:

8 Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.

A typical example of high sounding nonsense is "if you don't tithe, it would be tight for you."

, and there is no scriptural basis for this. i just wonder where these pastors get these thing from. i dont blame them any way. i blame the vast majority of "christians" that don't study the bible for themselves, making themselves prone to such cheap manipulations.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by donobi(m): 1:27pm On Oct 11, 2010
the bible said my people perish for lack of knowledge.
let every member of any church decide not to pay tithe, let see the pastor that will serve God.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by chiteny(m): 2:41pm On Oct 11, 2010
let every member of any church decide not to pay tithe, let see the pastor that will serve God.

Abeg o Donobi grin. Na comotion you wan cause so o! even amongst the "very big" pastors. grin Many go backslide and leave the faith o. hahahahaha grin
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by KunleOshob(m): 3:19pm On Oct 11, 2010
donobi:

The above statement is far from true, there are still a lot of pastors out there that genuinely love God and are serving him in the fullness of truth and not for and personal benefit other than they derive joy from serving him, the pastor of my church readily comes to mind as a good example. However i am sure a lot of the commercialized pentecostal church pastors would seize to "serve" God if tithes, offerings, seed sowing and other monetay benefits are not rolling in.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by sleekymag(m): 5:21pm On Oct 11, 2010
@Kunle Oshob,

You know, i used to be so angry at you for how you vehemently stood against tithes. I did my research, at some point i was at a crossroad, not knowing whether i should continue with it or not, Well, for many months now, i reached my conclusion, and i should thank you partly for it. Modern tithing as we experience it today is not scriptural. So, i've stopped tithing as it were for almost a year now. So many christians are really ignorant about it, and the natural reaction would be to oppose your way of thinking, However, supporting God's work is something that's good, and if i can do that with 10%, less or more of my income, then its fine by me. (My idea of supporting God's work is giving a certain % to my church or other church that is laid in my heart, give a % to help the needy around me, and a % to support the work that i will personally be doing to reach people for salvation e.g. through publishing tracts. Its just that i dont call it tithes anymore. (Infact my fiancee and i have quarelled over it a number of times, and she once said if we can't agree on something as basic as tithes, the relationship might not go on. Her issue was, what will we teach our kids - to tithe or not to tithe? She doesnt even want to hear my own side of the issue. We overcame that, sha, and i can say i'm not against anyone who decides to continue to tithe, seeing they are giving willingly to support or promote the kingdom of God. Its just that i wish people had better understanding.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by PastorAIO: 5:42pm On Oct 11, 2010
sleekymag:

@Kunle Oshob,

You know, i used to be so angry at you for how you vehemently stood against tithes. I did my research, at some point i was at a crossroad, not knowing whether i should continue with it or not,  Well, for many months now, i reached my conclusion, and i should thank you partly for it. Modern tithing as we experience it today is not scriptural. So, i've stopped tithing as it were for almost a year now. So many christians are really ignorant about it, and the natural reaction would be to oppose your way of thinking, However, supporting God's work is something that's good, and if i can do that with 10%, less or more of my income, then its fine by me. (My idea of supporting God's work is giving a certain % to my church or other church that is laid in my heart, give a % to help the needy around me, and a % to support the work that i will personally be doing to reach people for salvation e.g. through publishing tracts. Its just that i dont call it tithes anymore. (Infact my fiancee and i have quarelled over it a number of times, and she once said if we can't agree on something as basic as tithes, the relationship might not go on. Her issue was, what will we teach our kids - to tithe or not to tithe? She doesnt even want to hear my own side of the issue. We overcame that, sha, and i can say i'm not against anyone who decides to continue to tithe, seeing they are giving willingly to support or promote the kingdom of God. Its just that i wish people had better understanding.

I find this very interesting, intriguing sef, that Kunle's campaign has managed to provoke such ire amongst people.  It is a simple matter of going to the scriptures to check it out, but rather than do that many have resorted instead to threats, yabbis, and all manner of theatrical stunts.  I'm just fascinated by the psychology behind it.  What is it, what is the thinking process, that causes this reaction? 

Is it that people do not like the idea that they have been fooled for so long and so rather than feel like a fool they would rather continue in the folly believing that it is wisdom?  (this I call the getting-my-money's-worth syndrome. I've paid 20 pounds to get into this club and it's empty and the music is awful, rather than just cut my losses and go home, I stay determined to get my 20 pounds worth of dire rubbish).

Or is there a measure of hypnosis involved so the reaction is not rational but has been programmed there by their pastors in church?  This is so insidious.  That would make attending most of these churches even as a guest a very dangerous affair. 

Or is it pride?  Is it merely the fact that once they've taken a stand in a debate people don't like to lose and so they get angry if they feel they are losing the debate. 

For many months now I have been paying close attention to how the Tithe brigade react to this matter.  The jury is still out, but I'm finding it amongst one of the most intriguing psychological studies that I've ever undertaken.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by Gamine(f): 6:03pm On Oct 11, 2010
donobi:

LoL.

My uncle is a Pastor, where is his church? His house.
No one pays any tithe to him, and believe me He does no other work.
Some people actually know what it means to 'Pastor' and 'Serve' God
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by sleekymag(m): 6:12pm On Oct 11, 2010
@Pastor AIO,

Well, there are some people who would rather not listen to you or hear you condemn tithes, much less read anything that is against it. Reasons include, apart from being taught to tithe by their pastors, parents etc for a long time, they have also at some point or even always seen the benefits of tithing (its associated blessings) and of course there are scriptures in support of it (old and new, though mainly old testament), even though the context in which they appear may leave for some further explanations/arguments. Those opposing tithing usually try to discredit the pastor of such tithers, and in a way, feels more like insulting the follower/church member as being stupid for allowing himself/herself to be so gullible to his pastor's antics. The thing there is that giving is good, whether it is in form of tithes or in any other form, monetary or otherwise. and is the main reason why blessings keep coming back to you. Some even stop giving their tithes,and soon, they start to experience the lack factor and suddenly remember that it could be the result of defaulting on that. There are psychological issues, i guess, amongst many others.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by KunleOshob(m): 6:34pm On Oct 11, 2010
@sleekymag
Much love, I am glad you have now come to understand my position better on the issue of tithes. I am also glad that you still insist on giving as you purpose in your heart towards the gospel and towards the less priviledge. May God continue to bless the work of your hands. Amen
Re: Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? by PastorAIO: 6:38pm On Oct 11, 2010
nobody forced anybody to read anything they don't like about tithes.  They are free to browse other subjects.  If they have strong points to contribute to the discussion such as making testimony of the benefits that they have received then by all means let them do so.  However what we find is that all they are capable of doing is hurling insults and not point to any specific instances of tithing being beneficial.  

At one point it got to the extent that people presented tables of the worlds 50 richest men and none of them could be said to be tithers.  While all this is going on we find solid tithers like Eratic Akingblola being not only visited by the devourer, but it seems as if the devourer has moved into his home permanently.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Reasons You Need A Pastor In Your Life / Obadare Died After Three-day Revival Programme – Church / Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.