Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Maize Farmers Only - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farmers Only (27408 Views)

Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers / Home For Snail Farmers Only. / Home For Just Maize Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Farmers Only by ijemishkisic(m): 7:30pm On Jun 23, 2019
Pistotita:
Farmers, how do you manage using rain to grow maize? This year rain was so late. For example, if you apply fertilizer, and rain does not fall, what do you do? During the 6th week tassels start developing and there is no rain, what do you do? Or do you have a secret to force down rain? Just curious. Cos rain isn't stable. I think only roots and tubers can tolerate long period of drought. @ifedola28 @Inspectahdeck @ijemishkisic @Chiansky @

In PH here, it rains everyday since may. My own battle is weed
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 9:03pm On Jun 23, 2019
ijemishkisic:

In PH here, it rains everyday since may. My own battle is weed

Which type of weed do u see in ur farm?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 24, 2019
ifedola28:
MY EXPERIENCE

My farm had a combination of broadleaf and grasses. After weeding, I applied glyphosate which is a nonselective herbicide and atrazine to kill the seeds of the weeds. After a few weeks, I noticed that the broadleaves on the farm were growing rapidly, since I was yet to plant to cassava, I was able to use a selective herbicide to get rid of the broadleaves.

I planted cassava afterwards. When my maize was almost due for harvest, I could see gigantic grasses growing all over the farm. I couldn't use selective herbicides as my maize is also a grass. I was so helpless. I was told the only option was to use manual means which of course was very expensive.

Personally, in my next farming episode, I will be saying a big NO to herbicides. Its not as effective as it claims to be especially during raining season. Weeds bounces back faster and stronger than what they used to be.

Best weed management option to me is the use of mechanical weeders

Lol!

Actually, herbicides work. You just do not know how to use them. It was good that you were not able to use herbicides; otherwise, you would probably have used it without thinking the effect on the health of the consumers since harvest was near. lol. And many farmers do not really care as long as their investment is protected. Infact, you applied herbicides and waited too long to sow seeds. And you noticed broad leaves and sprayed the wrong type. Personally, I have stopped recommending herbicides except I am there to supervise.

I agree with you that using weeders is a good option, but it must be operated on land free from stumps. I heard of a man who cleared above 50 acres using hausas. lol. He failed woefully. Sowing seeds was terrible, very bad plant population. lol. Weed management was so hectic for him too. And after the end of the project, the 50 acres were like no one worked on them after 1 year. hehehehe. Honestly, consulting someone who can look forward and predict the future is necessary. Removing stumps means tractors can plough grasses and weed which after rotten are good organic matters. Also, one can use green manure with microbes. Honestly, I wish people consult the right people before embarking on projects.

This brings me to Land clearing option. Is there any option for land clearing without top soil removal? New farmers do not still know that these bulldozer drivers are good at clearing construction sites only. They are excellent when working with Dangote....lol... cos they know how to bring clay soil from the bottom to the top very well. I am yet to meet excellent ways of clearing land. They always beat their chests that they are agricultural trained land clearing experts, but give them the job, you will cry. You just need to wait for minimum of 1 year to use the land (that is if you know how to easily correct it, and you have the financial resources), otherwise, you are still waiting after 5 years. lol. You can imagine spending huge on clearing, and one has to spend more on amending the soil. Or must I learn tractor driving, bulldozer operation, fork lifting operation, etc because I want to go on large scale?

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by OluchiDelly: 10:45am On Jun 24, 2019
ifedola28:
MY EXPERIENCE

My farm had a combination of broadleaf and grasses. After weeding, I applied glyphosate which is a nonselective herbicide and atrazine to kill the seeds of the weeds. After a few weeks, I noticed that the broadleaves on the farm were growing rapidly, since I was yet to plant to cassava, I was able to use a selective herbicide to get rid of the broadleaves.

I planted cassava afterwards. When my maize was almost due for harvest, I could see gigantic grasses growing all over the farm. I couldn't use selective herbicides as my maize is also a grass. I was so helpless. I was told the only option was to use manual means which of course was very expensive.

Personally, in my next farming episode, I will be saying a big NO to herbicides. Its not as effective as it claims to be especially during raining season. Weeds bounces back faster and stronger than what they used to be.

Best weed management option to me is the use of mechanical weeders

Spare urself of all d stress of spraying herbicides that kill grass only and d ones that kill broadleaves only in maize farm. Imagine u have 20 acres of maize n above, son of man wl break down completely.
Be informed that there are herbicides that take care of both broadleaved n grasses in ur maize farm. Any Herbicides wt active ingredient called nicosulfuron wl get d job done without affecting ur maize. Just spray when ur maize are not stressed (by drought).
Likewise in maize farm intercropped wt cassava, force-u-ron (active ingrdent -diuron) will clear both grass n broadleaf without affecting ur maize n cassava.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 11:08am On Jun 24, 2019
Let us just be extremely careful with chemicals. Herbicides are the deadliest. I don't recommend, and please let us be careful with what we recommend.

What we write here are read by both literates and illiterates. People will definitely abuse what we put down here. I do not want to even mention names or brands, but one of the products recommended is used for treating diabetic patients. And doctors are extremely careful using it. It stays long in the system. Let us just be careful.

One of the basis of modern sicknesses today is usage of industrial sugar, and ways of removing it from our system. From ice cream to chocolates to everything. Boom...body will not be able to handle natural sugar again. It is why I do not eat maize again since I realised many farmers use potent herbicides these days. Don't get me wrong, I can use it, but I must be on farm. And I think we need to be careful more when recommending especially on nairaland. Those making recommendations may be able to handle them, but they really do not know who is reading. Please, let us recommend or precribe chemicals privately. There are killer farmers reading. Please!

When I recommend, the chemicals are less toxic. Herbicides kill. They are extremely dangerous to our health. They are worse than fungicides and pesticides. Silent killers they are.

4 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by numen(m): 12:55pm On Jun 24, 2019
Pistotita:

The cost is the reason I pushed the question across to maize farmers so we look at it together. My take is that if one gets it right, hmmmm! I am thinking of different ideas. Well, since commercial farming with tractors only will take me to farm again, I am looking at irrigation for big farms. I think the better option is creating artificial pools or reservoirs at different sections so that one needs minimum hose length. Of course, one needs to know exactly the cost of running it. I have been working on this for some time now.

I was discussing @bolded with my buddy a couple of weeks ago on how to supply water to my proposed 6.5ha corn field cos we have a big stream and lake bordering us.

I believe it's a good idea.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by numen(m): 1:11pm On Jun 24, 2019
Pistotita:

This brings me to Land clearing option. Is there any option for land clearing without top soil removal? New farmers do not still know that these bulldozer drivers are good at clearing construction sites only. They are excellent when working with Dangote....lol... cos they know how to bring clay soil from the bottom to the top very well. I am yet to meet excellent ways of clearing land. They always beat their chests that they are agricultural trained land clearing experts, but give them the job, you will cry. You just need to wait for minimum of 1 year to use the land (that is if you know how to easily correct it, and you have the financial resources), otherwise, you are still waiting after 5 years. lol. You can imagine spending huge on clearing, and one has to spend more on amending the soil. Or must I learn tractor driving, bulldozer operation, fork lifting operation, etc because I want to go on large scale?

This paragraph is a major concern for me. How do I clear 6.5h without damaging the soil structure. I initially wanted to employ a bulldozer but @bolded is a very very viable point.

I am inclining towards using both manual and mechanized labour. A big chunk of my land is close to a plain with very few trees(small-medium) dotted across it. I'm thinking of using manual labour on such areas and using a bulldozer to strictly uproot the trees before getting a tractor to plough the land.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 24, 2019
numen:

I was discussing @bolded with my buddy a couple of weeks ago on how to supply water to my proposed 6.5ha corn field cos we have a big stream and lake bordering us.

I believe it's a good idea.
It is expensive for most individuals. And you need to really be smart about it.

numen:

This paragraph is a major concern for me. How do I clear 6.5h without damaging the soil structure. I initially wanted to employ a bulldozer but @bolded is a very very viable point.

I am inclining towards using both manual and mechanized labour. A big chunk of my land is close to a plain with very few trees(small-medium) dotted across it. I'm thinking of using manual labour on such areas and using a bulldozer to strictly uproot the trees before getting a tractor to plough the land.
You will still be restricted if you want to use machineries on land cleared with cutlasses, except you adopt small farms techniques. The cost of removing stumps is high; therefore, you are going to be a cutlass farmer. lol... You can step up gradually with income on that small plot and build the large farm. I will rather spend thirty million naira to develop 1 acre automated, hydroponic, and covered farm, than used N5million naira to clear large land and wait for many years before I can use it. With my small farm, I can find reasons to go to farm, and money will be rolling in. Then, I can consider more expensive options to achieve my future plan. I would buy 30 ha or more, but would start on just 1 acre. That 1 acre would be easy to monitor, and easily generate income to achieve my plan on the 30 ha. Let owners who can afford to be on farm 24-7 go with subsistence farming styles using many workers, but look into automated covered and open systems using few farm workers if you are an absentee owner. Not talking about using small tractors, or hand push tractors, but deploying fully automated systems. You may need not to drive tractors on the land.

Even my focus is cash crop, I would open an automated small farm first.

Note: Solutions readily available are for owners who are farmers. Most people with cash cannot adopt those methods. Can someone in diaspora run the kind of open field cucumber farm displayed on nairaland successfully? No no no no! Even the kind of rain fed maize production which this thread is about cannot be easily managed by those who have financial resources. They will run at loss. And most consultants are subsistence farming oriented. So, I think farming is harder in this part of Nigeria. Most people think vegetable or maize farming consumes time the way we make it look like. Those living in diaspora should apply wisdom, and find ways to cut off workers, cut off continous tilling and weeding too. 1 acre sweet corn is money.

@ifedola28, perhaps you have solution to land clearing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farmers Only by ijemishkisic(m): 6:53am On Jun 25, 2019
Chiansky:

Which type of weed do u see in ur farm?

The are plenty oo... I see plenty "touch and die" and others
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jun 25, 2019
ijemishkisic:

f

He is asking if the weeds on your farm are grasses or broadleaf or the combination
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 9:49pm On Jun 25, 2019
ijemishkisic:

LOL. I mean grasses or Broad leaf, this are the two types of weed you should be seeing, don't worry It took me time to understand the difference, mostly broad leaf. Experience they say is the best teacher.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by ijemishkisic(m): 2:41am On Jun 26, 2019
Chiansky:

LOL. I mean grasses or Broad leaf, this are the two types of weed you should be seeing, don't worry It took me time to understand the difference, mostly broad leaf. Experience they say is the best teacher.

All types are there
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 11:24pm On Jun 26, 2019
ijemishkisic:

All types are there

Get nicogold, it should be 3.5k, it works very well
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 11:40pm On Jun 26, 2019
So cows enter my farm today, it was very bad day for me, even if the damage was not that bad but I felt my country has really disappointed me today, I'm not giving up anyway. Dey ate the maize, I think it just one cow, seriously if I saw that cow I would have killed it or even killed the headsman with it because I was very angry. Something I have spent over 270k on, well I'm getting a security man ASAP. If not for this headsman agriculture will progress in nigeria very well because u can take two weeks before going to ur farm but with this hardsmen u don't want to leave ur farm. In my nxt budget, I'm included cameras and solar to power them, I will have a security house where my security men can watch and horn speakers to talk to them even if they are 15m away from my farm, this guys are very wicked, they just want to make sure we don't benefit anything from our farm. I will go as far as getting a court order to kill any cow that enters my farm and have their head sign it..... Its very painful to see ur crops eaten by some follish, stupid headsmen cows because dey feel their person is in power. I will get ready for them nxt planting season, dey should enjoy....

5 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by ijemishkisic(m): 3:12am On Jun 27, 2019
Chiansky:

Thanks very much. But please, How long does it last after spraying? If i spray before planting, how long do i wait before planting seeds? U have contact of any dealer?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by ijemishkisic(m): 3:59am On Jun 27, 2019
Chiansky:
So cows enter my farm today, it was very bad day for me, even if the damage was not that bad but I felt my country has really disappointed me today, I'm not giving up anyway. Dey ate the maize, I think it just one cow, seriously if I saw that cow I would have killed it or even killed the headsman with it because I was very angry. Something I have spent over 270k on, well I'm getting a security man ASAP. If not for this headsman agriculture will progress in nigeria very well because u can take two weeks before going to ur farm but with this hardsmen u don't want to leave ur farm. In my nxt budget, I'm included cameras and solar to power them, I will have a security house where my security men can watch and horn speakers to talk to them even if they are 15m away from my farm, this guys are very wicked, they just want to make sure we don't benefit anything from our farm. I will go as far as getting a court order to kill any cow that enters my farm and have their head sign it..... Its very painful to see ur crops eaten by some follish, stupid headsmen cows because dey feel their person is in power. I will get ready for them nxt planting season, dey should enjoy....

Just report to civil defense office . thats what my coleague here did. Though the senior alhaji in charge of herdsmen in the area later settled him with 50k for the 2plots of maize and he collected and forgot about civil defense process. Civil defense is in charge of agro allied infrastructures.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farmers Only by kripen(m): 7:10am On Jun 27, 2019
[quote author=Chiansky post=79703704]So cows enter my farm today, it was very bad day for me, even if the damage was not that bad but I felt my country has really disappointed me today, I'm not giving up anyway. Dey ate the maize, I think it just one cow, seriously if I saw that cow I would have killed it or even killed the headsman with it because I was very angry. Something I have spent over 270k on, well I'm getting a security man ASAP. If not for this headsman agriculture will progress in nigeria very well because u can take two weeks before going to ur farm but with this hardsmen u don't want to leave ur farm. In my nxt budget, I'm included cameras and solar to power them, I will have a security house where my security men can watch and horn speakers to talk to them even if they are 15m away from my farm, this guys are very wicked, they just want to make sure we don't benefit anything from our farm. I will go as far as getting a court order to kill any cow that enters my farm and have their head sign it..... Its very painful to see ur crops eaten by some follish, stupid headsmen cows because dey feel their person is in power. I will get ready for them nxt planting season, dey should enjoy....[/quote

Sorry for this great farmer, I know how it hurt. Same thing like this happened to me Last year on my cassava farm though just 100*100 which 1 know is small compare to the damage they do to big farms, I really feel sorry for this farmers. Herdmen are reall heartless and wicked after putting in all effort to farm they just come with their cattle and grace them on valuable crops. They are one of the drawback that is millitating against Agricultural development in Nigeria because people are discouraged to go to farming because of their activities.

Federal govt is not helping matters, they are mute in speaking up or taking action against them.

As some body rightly advice let us be informed that NIGERIA CIVIL DEFENSE is a body to be reported to if any such thing happens. I think their offices is in all the local govt in Nigeria.

The federal govt said they are creating ranches for them recently. Why will they(govt) want to use public fund to build ranches for these herder, anyway my little thought.
Some state govt are against it. The herders has not be giving a stay they are forming landlords, what about if they are giving a stay in the form of ranches and that mean they will certainly take over all the states. We should be tactical and wise in what we do because posterity is there to judge us.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 7:39am On Jun 27, 2019
There are many challenges that people still do not understand. I have looked deep in this issue, and I noticed that farmers actually saw the signals of their farm getting destroyed, but they always ignored it.

@Chiansky, do you think fighting them or retaliation is the right step? Let me tell you the truth, a wise man avoids troubles . Non of my farms have ever been attacked by herds. I do not set up where cattles will destroy my crops. Listen to this again: the people you leased your land from are aware of these challenges, and they are the one encouraging them. Tipping and bribing disallow justice.

Leasing land from government, or from any chief/king is not a wise decision. They plough land, and lease it at cheap prices. Why? Can't they use the land themselves? They know the dangers there, and it's why they aren't using it. If there aren't any dangers, if there are huge profits there, trust me....you will not get the land cos their clans will get the allocations (nepotism). But since they know there are too many challenges there, they do not want to put in their money or time there.

Learn the secrets of small scale farming . Until land laws are reviewed, govt is useless in protecting farmers. Anyone who keeps calling on government is not ready to farm.

I am sorry for your loss, but my suggestion is that you go back to your drawing board and formulate a new working strategy. You may need to quit the place. The earlier, the better. Remember, the dead cannot fight for his/her right. It is a bigger loss if the bread winner of a family is killed when such death can be avoided. No matter the amount lost, it is not worth the value of life.

If you need to learn other crops you do not need large land for, do it. This is one of the reasons cassava, grains, even cash crops production are delicate outside the north.

May God grant you the wisdom needed to make the right decision. It is not worth losing ones life because of a farm no matter how big it is. No matter the loss, as long as the farmer has the farming skills, recovery is very possible.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 9:14am On Jun 27, 2019
ijemishkisic:

Thanks very much. But please, How long does it last after spraying? If i spray before planting, how long do i wait before planting seeds? U have contact of any dealer?

Spray after 3 weeks of planting, make sure it's mixed very well, no I don't, but u can get it in Lagos or ibadan. After that just watch ur farm.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by OluchiDelly: 9:15am On Jun 27, 2019
ijemishkisic:

Though I'm hearing ds brand name for d 1st term, d acronym shows it contains nicosulfuron. There are other brand equivalent u can get as well.
You don't have to wait. It is best applied when ur maize plants have grown well, it does not harm maize plants, it is selective to maize if u follow d instruction on d label. If u are in sw , I can gv u contacts of some vendors.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 9:19am On Jun 27, 2019
ijemishkisic:

Just report to civil defense office . thats what my coleague here did. Though the senior alhaji in charge of herdsmen in the area later settled him with 50k for the 2plots of maize and he collected and forgot about civil defense process. Civil defense is in charge of agro allied infrastructures.

I will do that right away, I didn't not see them so I can't go and see d senior alhaji but I'm thinking of going to see him this week, I heard he was sick.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 9:21am On Jun 27, 2019
[quote author=kripen post=79706852][/quote]

Buhari has failed us in this country. I will report ASAP but I'm getting security in the farm too.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 9:36am On Jun 27, 2019
Pistotita:
There are many challenges that people still do not understand. I have looked deep in this issue, and I noticed that farmers actually saw the signals of their farm getting destroyed, but they always ignored it.

@Chiansky, do you think fighting them or retaliation is the right step? Let me tell you the truth, a wise man avoids troubles . Non of my farms have ever been attacked by herds. I do not set up where cattles will destroy my crops. Listen to this again: the people you leased your land from are aware of these challenges, and they are the one encouraging them. Tipping and bribing disallow justice.

Leasing land from government, or from any chief/king is not a wise decision. They plough land, and lease it at cheap prices. Why? Can't they use the land themselves? They know the dangers there, and it's why they aren't using it. If there aren't any dangers, if there are huge profits there, trust me....you will not get the land cos their clans will get the allocations (nepotism). But since they know there are too many challenges there, they do not want to put in their money or time there.

Learn the secrets of small scale farming . Until land laws are reviewed, govt is useless in protecting farmers. Anyone who keeps calling on government is not ready to farm.

I am sorry for your loss, but my suggestion is that you go back to your drawing board and formulate a new working strategy. You may need to quit the place. The earlier, the better. Remember, the dead cannot fight for his/her right. It is a bigger loss if the bread winner of a family is killed when such death can be avoided. No matter the amount lost, it is not worth the value of life.

If you need to learn other crops you do not need large land for, do it. This is one of the reasons cassava, grains, even cash crops production are delicate outside the north.

May God grant you the wisdom needed to make the right decision. It is not worth losing ones life because of a farm no matter how big it is. No matter the loss, as long as the farmer has the farming skills, recovery is very possible.

Not like I was going to kill them anyway, but I was very angry at what they did, I'm farming in oyo state and I don't think there is any place you will not see headsmen, they are everywhere, you wouldn't say because of them u will stop farming, no there must be a way out, sorry to say but the yorubas people really welcomed this people into dia land and since they have no education they don't think like we do, I was fully aware of their wahala in the area but that was the only land closer to where I stay, their is no land save again because they even carry their cattle to eat on farm lands at night, the locals even tell them to do so, so that u can employ them for security. They are just wicked and nothing more. I did groundnut last year and it was supposed to be a save land but they still entered the farm and finished my friends watermelon with knifes, then I was still doing my nysc. So u see its just to find a way to keep them at bay, my farm is just two hectares, the best I can do now is get security to watch over it. Nxt year I'm getting security cameras (cctv) and horn speakers and and motion sensors to go with it and also I must get court order to allow me kill and take ownership of any cattle that enters my farm, this guys pay heavily when you have them at hand, so camera will do the job. . If u don't fight them dey don't learn........ We must farm, they can't stop us. Buhari has failed us in this country, last week they kidnapped my uncle, the security is getting bad by the day in the country and if u don't want to travel out u must find a way to survive.... I would have uploaded pictures but the size is larger than 4mb.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 9:39am On Jun 27, 2019
Pls does nairaland have an app?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 11:04am On Jun 27, 2019
Chiansky:

Not like I was going to kill them anyway, but I was very angry at what they did, I'm farming in oyo state and I don't think there is any place you will not see headsmen, they are everywhere, you wouldn't say because of them u will stop farming, no there must be a way out, sorry to say but the yorubas people really welcomed this people into dia land and since they have no education they don't think like we do, I was fully aware of their wahala in the area but that was the only land closer to where I stay, their is no land save again because they even carry their cattle to eat on farm lands at night, the locals even tell them to do so, so that u can employ them for security. They are just wicked and nothing more. I did groundnut last year and it was supposed to be a save land but they still entered the farm and finished my friends watermelon with knifes, then I was still doing my nysc. So u see its just to find a way to keep them at bay, my farm is just two hectares, the best I can do now is get security to watch over it. Nxt year I'm getting security cameras (cctv) and horn speakers and and motion sensors to go with it and also I must get court order to allow me kill and take ownership of any cattle that enters my farm, this guys pay heavily when you have them at hand, so camera will do the job. . If u don't fight them dey don't learn........ We must farm, they can't stop us. Buhari has failed us in this country, last week they kidnapped my uncle, the security is getting bad by the day in the country and if u don't want to travel out u must find a way to survive.... I would have uploaded pictures but the size is larger than 4mb.

I believe you are still very angry. Bro, no court will give you license to kill anyone. lol. I am sure you just mentioned that to show how far you want to fight them. hmmmm. You know you did not tell me before I wrote that you cannot say you were not aware of their destructive actions in the area.

Bro, only the living can farm. The dead is good as compost (nutrients for plants). So, it's not worth the fight.

Just try your best to hold yourself till after harvest. I am not saying you should not farm. Just hold yourself for now. After harvest, take a break. After you are calm, put together the cost of getting security plus all the troubles you plan for, and keep it aside. Then, relax and look for alternatives. One might be looking for farm elsewhere. It might be learning vegetables, by the way you can start with sweet corn bro on just 1 plot elsewhere with irrigation instead of relying on rain fed. Then compare the cost of fighting them with the cost of the other alternatives you have.

My point is that this may be a blessing in disguise for you bro. There is huge profit in growing watermelon, cucumber, eggplants, tomatoes, sweet pepper, lettuce etc. Instead of installing CCTV, you may look into installing hydroponics indoor to cultivate exotic vegetables like cauliflower, brocolli, and kale. Just look into these options. 1 acre farm is a big space for making 5 times of what you are making on your 2 ha open field corn farming. And it's same principle sir. You just need few adjustments.

I had my own share of losses too (not to cattle), and I had to readjust. New doors of blessings are opened after calamities and disappointments at times.

No matter how high the debt is, you can always pay back. It may be gradual. And it does not mean you cannot live a quality life even with debts. From court judgement, it is obvious that debt should not disturb anyone from having a quality life. No one can recover debts by threats. Even courts frown at it. At times it is the creditors that will be running away and playing the games of threats. lol. As a debtor, know your rights too. No one can push you beyond limits of what you cannot take as long as you have shown to be responsible. Business can go sour at times. No one is above incurring debts (including me). lol.

It may be your quest that will even make you relocate from the area to the place your real breakthrough is. Be thankful in all things. Be thankful for life even when it seems all hope is gone. The air we breath is free but precious. Oxygen is expensive if you care to know. Only patients and the family members of those who need it can relate with what I am saying.

Please, take it easy. To me, it is not worth fighting them. You may report them to the authorities mentioned here. If appropriate steps are taken to caution them, fine.

Bro, the best action is to find a way to make them your friends . Believe it or not. That's the best approach. If they can be your friends, even pay them to lead their cattle to your farm during dry season to poo all around your farm...lol. If you can find a way to grow their food at that time so they feed their cattle, do it, and then you may be the one to take money from them. But let them poo very well all round your farm. Trust me, you are at the winning end.

Hausas and Fulanis are not terrible people. They are very loyal people. Even the ones,carrying weapons are listening to the voice of their wicked leaders. As soon as a God fearing leader who is more powerful than their wicked leader sets in, they just draw back and obey. They are faithful too. I can start telling you the attributes of these people. I can tell you that of Ibo and Yoruba too. But funny, the minorities are more bittered than the 4 major tribes. If you want to hear real bitterness, move closer to Niger Delta. Hmmmm! Is it their fault too? You are here complaining of Fulani. Do you know what fellow human beings did to the Ogoni and Ijaw people? Shell destroyed the area completely. They destroyed the water which is the source of their income (they are fishermen), and those in SW, SE, and other parts just read about the cas, smiled, and pitied them. You can still go back to farm and use your land, but Shell destroyed their water completely. Hmmmm! Ken Saro Wiwa was killed because of this issue. It's in the human nature not to fight for others. But that which happened to others is around to befall them too in another dimension. That is life for you. The wisest decision is to avoid trouble. It's not worth it.

Another option is this: open a mini ranch on your farm with an hausa/fulani man there. Lol. You have settled the case bro. He will be the one who will invite the cattles to poo all over your farm at the right time. You will not spend money on fertilizer again. They will never destroy your farm again.

Now, ask yourself this questions. Can't the leaders of your communities solve the issue? Can't they think of peaceful coexistence plans like the solutions above? Like I wrote in my last post on this thread, they know about it, but they are the real en.emies. Just be careful as you approach them. They smile at you, but they have bitterness towards you. Why? Cos you are prospering. That is your c.rime bro. lol

Presently, I am working with a lady on establishing a cash crop farm, but all the advice and suggestions I gave her regarding risk management and recovery plan, she ignored. And I have told her that I am out. Land owners are cra.zy people. When they see that one has paid, one has connections to tackle them, bringing these people to destroy ones farm is another gimmick they use. lol. So, no matter the amount available, I always advise starting on a smaller piece of land (but highly proditable) to really know the kind of families or community one is dealing with before expanding exponentially. But some people feel they gat the cash, and they just bombard the whole place with money, and expand craz.ily. Hmmmmm!

Turn your challenges into your success

5 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 2:24pm On Jun 27, 2019
Not to kill the headsmen but their cattles, we have big farms here with such orders. Even the indoor u are talking about will still be attacked by this headsmen if they want to or maybe you want to close the whole land and have a gate. If u have prove of headsmen entering your land u can go to court and get such orders, na olny money e go cost u. They stay away from the farm lands if they know you have beat them to dia game, if u like buy food for them, they will still carry dia cattles and do harm to ur farm, last year we made sure they were very close to us, we always used their wife's and children for our farm work, pay them well, even give them 1 acre of land to for them to use but they will went into our farm with dia cattle, claiming that it was they cattle that entered by it self, they even use knife to open my friends watermelon and that my friend made sure they were free to collect any time to came to ask for or worked for him but when we go dia d nxt money you will be so disappointed at what we see. I don't have the pictures again, see not every body has the money to run that indoor farm, we can't stop planting maize because of them, the more you run the more they come.....

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jun 27, 2019
If you have resolved to violence also, then, best of luck. What I know is that there is no way the head of the place you are cannot control them. Everywhere they operate, it's with full confidence. Why? The land owners are using them, and the Chiefs benefit from them. So, why stay there? Why fight tgem when you know that they can turn the whole city upside down. Well, good luck to you bro.

Even new farmers always think they own land they pay for immediately after payment. I can count the number of people that I advised about starting big, and refused to listen. They alway come back crying. And I always pet them....lol.

How can you say they can destroy indoor hydroponics? Perhaps you do not understand the concept.

Anyway, I see your mind is made up to retaliate. So, I wish you well in the fight. The more stubborn side will surely win after many lives are lost. But is that something to be proud of?

Goodluck bro! Just try stay alive.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 2:42pm On Jun 27, 2019
Pistotita:

I believe you are still very angry. Bro, no court will give you license to kill anyone. lol. I am sure you just mentioned that to show how far you want to fight them. hmmmm. You know you did not tell me before I wrote that you cannot say you were not aware of their destructive actions in the area.

Bro, only the living can farm. The dead is good as compost (nutrients for plants). So, it's not worth the fight.

Just try your best to hold yourself till after harvest. I am not saying you should not farm. Just hold yourself for now. After harvest, take a break. After you are calm, put together the cost of getting security plus all the troubles you plan for, and keep it aside. Then, relax and look for alternatives. One might be looking for farm elsewhere. It might be learning vegetables, by the way you can start with sweet corn bro on just 1 plot elsewhere with irrigation instead of relying on rain fed. Then compare the cost of fighting them with the cost of the other alternatives you have.

My point is that this may be a blessing in disguise for you bro. There is huge profit in growing watermelon, cucumber, eggplants, tomatoes, sweet pepper, lettuce etc. Instead of installing CCTV, you may look into installing hydroponics indoor to cultivate exotic vegetables like cauliflower, brocolli, and kale. Just look into these options. 1 acre farm is a big space for making 5 times of what you are making on your 2 ha open field corn farming. And it's same principle sir. You just need few adjustments.

I had my own share of losses too (not to cattle), and I had to readjust. New doors of blessings are opened after calamities and disappointments at times.

No matter how high the debt is, you can always pay back. It may be gradual. And it does not mean you cannot live a quality life even with debts. From court judgement, it is obvious that debt should not disturb anyone from having a quality life. No one can recover debts by threats. Even courts frown at it. At times it is the creditors that will be running away and playing the games of threats. lol. As a debtor, know your rights too. No one can push you beyond limits of what you cannot take as long as you have shown to be responsible. Business can go sour at times. No one is above incurring debts (including me). lol.

It may be your quest that will even make you relocate from the area to the place your real breakthrough is. Be thankful in all things. Be thankful for life even when it seems all hope is gone. The air we breath is free but precious. Oxygen is expensive if you care to know. Only patients and the family members of those who need it can relate with what I am saying.

Please, take it easy. To me, it is not worth fighting them. You may report them to the authorities mentioned here. If appropriate steps are taken to caution them, fine.

Bro, the best action is to find a way to make them your friends . Believe it or not. That's the best approach. If they can be your friends, even pay them to lead their cattle to your farm during dry season to poo all around your farm...lol. If you can find a way to grow their food at that time so they feed their cattle, do it, and then you may be the one to take money from them. But let them poo very well all round your farm. Trust me, you are at the winning end.

Hausas and Fulanis are not terrible people. They are very loyal people. Even the ones,carrying weapons are listening to the voice of their wicked leaders. As soon as a God fearing leader who is more powerful than their wicked leader sets in, they just draw back and obey. They are faithful too. I can start telling you the attributes of these people. I can tell you that of Ibo and Yoruba too. But funny, the minorities are more bittered than the 4 major tribes. If you want to hear real bitterness, move closer to Niger Delta. Hmmmm! Is it their fault too? You are here complaining of Fulani. Do you know what fellow human beings did to the Ogoni and Ijaw people? Shell destroyed the area completely. They destroyed the water which is the source of their income (they are fishermen), and those in SW, SE, and other parts just read about the cas, smiled, and pitied them. You can still go back to farm and use your land, but Shell destroyed their water completely. Hmmmm! Ken Saro Wiwa was killed because of this issue. It's in the human nature not to fight for others. But that which happened to others is around to befall them too in another dimension. That is life for you. The wisest decision is to avoid trouble. It's not worth it.

Another option is this: open a mini ranch on your farm with an hausa/fulani man there. Lol. You have settled the case bro. He will be the one who will invite the cattles to poo all over your farm at the right time. You will not spend money on fertilizer again. They will never destroy your farm again.

Now, ask yourself this questions. Can't the leaders of your communities solve the issue? Can't they think of peaceful coexistence plans like the solutions above? Like I wrote in my last post on this thread, they know about it, but they are the real en.emies. Just be careful as you approach them. They smile at you, but they have bitterness towards you. Why? Cos you are prospering. That is your c.rime bro. lol

Presently, I am working with a lady on establishing a cash crop farm, but all the advice and suggestions I gave her regarding risk management and recovery plan, she ignored. And I have told her that I am out. Land owners are cra.zy people. When they see that one has paid, one has connections to tackle them, bringing these people to destroy ones farm is another gimmick they use. lol. So, no matter the amount available, I always advise starting on a smaller piece of land (but highly proditable) to really know the kind of families or community one is dealing with before expanding exponentially. But some people feel they gat the cash, and they just bombard the whole place with money, and expand craz.ily. Hmmmmm!

Turn your challenges into your success

I grow up in delta so I know those stories very well, u see d issues here is greed, I personally want to have a talk with the local government chairman, there are other ways to settle, u see this herdsmen are very greedy and wicked, I don't even understand their aim at all, you bring your cattle to market and people buy from you but when you see dia farm lands you go and destroy it, how do you want this people to have money to buy this things from you? I just don't understand their aims... The worst part is they are not willing to listen to u.. Its just pure wickedness...... If everybody runs to farm indoors who will do the others farming..... The worst part is even the villagers buy cattles and give to them to keep... They are giving them more legs here and I believe its so all over Nigeria... One thing I have noticed is don't play with them.... They will stay off ur land, I was not like this last 6 years, it just increased since buhari entered and has done nothing to control it..... God will help us anyway, we will pass this phase in nigeria...
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 27, 2019
Chiansky:

I grow up in delta so I know those stories very well, u see d issues here is greed, I personally want to have a talk with the local government chairman, there are other ways to settle, u see this herdsmen are very greedy and wicked, I don't even understand their aim at all, you bring your cattle to market and people buy from you but when you see dia farm lands you go and destroy it, how do you want this people to have money to buy this things from you? I just don't understand their aims... The worst part is they are not willing to listen to u.. Its just pure wickedness...... If everybody runs to farm indoors who will do the others farming..... The worst part is even the villagers buy cattles and give to them to keep ... They are giving them more legs here and I believe its so all over Nigeria... One thing I have noticed is don't play with them.... They will stay off ur land, I was not like this last 6 years, it just increased since buhari entered and has done nothing to control it..... God will help us anyway, we will pass this phase in nigeria...

Read the bolded again. lol!

You are alone bro. They do not just fight without back ups. I told you already. Get them as friends. Get someone like them to keep a mini ranch for you. But you feel violence is the way out.

You want to fight with illiterates that are zombies controlled by some selfish people. Who is the loser?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 27, 2019
Chiansky:

I have nicogold for sale, it's 3k
Re: Maize Farmers Only by ijemishkisic(m): 4:34pm On Jun 27, 2019
Chiansky:

I will do that right away, I didn't not see them so I can't go and see d senior alhaji but I'm thinking of going to see him this week, I heard he was sick.

Go and see him, he will know. They know themselves in every territory. My coleagues own happened at night too. Dont just think anything, just go to the alhaji. Taking pictures and videos of the farm. He will even come n verify. Possibly inform area boys too, they will add pressure n threats.

Fulani only comply when superior force comes upon them.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by ijemishkisic(m): 4:39pm On Jun 27, 2019
Chiansky:

Spray after 3 weeks of planting, make sure it's mixed very well, no I don't, but u can get it in Lagos or ibadan. After that just watch ur farm.

Thanks alot

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Begins Onions Cultivation (Photos) / Latest Prices Of Day Old Broilers, Pullets,turkeys & Cockerels. / We Can Supply Groundnut In Large Quantity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.