Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,715 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech (71811 Views)

Benz C300 Assessment & Review / Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / Adewale Auto Care And Diagnosis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by chuksmad(m): 5:26pm On Oct 03, 2019
OP I just stumble to this page and very happy to discover your great insight and help you render in this forum. Kudos to you. My Mazda 626 (2000) is having this issue of not steaming normal when you start the car.
Immediately you start the car and remove your leg from the throttle, it will just go off.
What may be the cause?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by neyop85(m): 6:53pm On Oct 03, 2019
hello house,

my Honda DC gear stick flickers on the dashboard when i try changing gears, the transmission is perfect, gears change normally when in motion but when i try putting the gear in park, it doesnt enter park until i tap the gear stick several times. When i put into drive, it enters into drive but the 'D' light wouldn't turn on until i tap the stick. i think it has to do with something under the gear stick. Honda experts, pls what do i need to do?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:33pm On Oct 03, 2019
Henrygreat212:

From the physical inspection nothing is out of place.. the tyres moves freely when I drive/throttle... I will go for scan as stated... Thanks and God Bless You
Alryt boss... Kindly post scan result once U av dem

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by osy77(m): 10:33pm On Oct 03, 2019
Goodevening Guru's and enthusiasts...so I just bought a c300 2015 benz some 3-4 weeks ago...serviced it with Mobil 1 and only a couple of days back "check oil at next refuel" pops up after about 10-20minutes drive...I click ok and it disappears only to reappear on the next drive.

Today I realized the car jerked from D4-D5 shifts. Biko una blother need help b4 these Abuja Mechanics finish me biko
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Billiebaba(m): 12:51am On Oct 04, 2019
Go for a scan first, as for the oil level, the oil switch might be bad.
osy77:
Goodevening Guru's and enthusiasts...so I just bought a c300 2015 benz some 3-4 weeks ago...serviced it with Mobil 1 and only a couple of days back "check oil at next refuel" pops up after about 10-20minutes drive...I click ok and it disappears only to reappear on the next drive.

Today I realized the car jerked from D4-D5 shifts. Biko una blother need help b4 these Abuja Mechanics finish me biko
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Stormyweather(m): 6:20am On Oct 04, 2019
Good morning. My VSC, Brake, trac off, ABS light came on during the weekend and the tyre pressure light keeps on flashing. I explained to my mech that my brake gets very hot and he said its the caliper, yesterday he fixed it and the lights disappeared except for vsc and trac off. This morning, the lights came back on. Also he removed my radiator to fix a leak and removed battery to clean the terminal, now check engine light is on. Although the check rngine light wasn't on previously. What could be the cause please?

2005 highlander I4 engine
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 7:17am On Oct 04, 2019
chuksmad:
OP I just stumble to this page and very happy to discover your great insight and help you render in this forum. Kudos to you. My Mazda 626 (2000) is having this issue of not steaming normal when you start the car.
Immediately you start the car and remove your leg from the throttle, it will just go off.
What may be the cause?
Morning boss. Very sorry for late reply.
Kindly check your Temperature sensor. Sometimes they fail and the ecu is unable to determine d state of d Engine if its cold or hot. Also check its wiring too.
Also check your idle air control system. It might be stuck.
If possible pls scan the vehicle. Certain sensors might have failed which might be causing this poor engine performance at cold start up.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 7:20am On Oct 04, 2019
neyop85:
hello house,

my Honda DC gear stick flickers on the dashboard when i try changing gears, the transmission is perfect, gears change normally when in motion but when i try putting the gear in park, it doesnt enter park until i tap the gear stick several times. When i put into drive, it enters into drive but the 'D' light wouldn't turn on until i tap the stick. i think it has to do with something under the gear stick. Honda experts, pls what do i need to do?
Check your shift stick, the park neutral switch, and connectors to the gear system. Something is failing. I have a feeling its a switch or its wiring.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 7:38am On Oct 04, 2019
osy77:

Chief like Billiebaba talk. Abeg scan that car. Nob 5hose cheap. Scanners o. Find a competent tech that can help you scan all the systems on that vehicle.
Also there shld be a way to check the oil level. Confirm the oil is properly guaged.
Also pls try contact AutoElectng on nairaland here. he is based in Abuja. I believe he will get the issue sorted for you professionally...

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:05am On Oct 04, 2019
Stormyweather:
Good morning. My VSC, Brake, trac off, ABS light came on during the weekend and the tyre pressure light keeps on flashing. I explained to my mech that my brake gets very hot and he said its the caliper, yesterday he fixed it and the lights disappeared except for vsc and trac off. This morning, the lights came back on. Also he removed my radiator to fix a leak and removed battery to clean the terminal, now check engine light is on. Although the check rngine light wasn't on previously. What could be the cause please?

2005 highlander I4 engine
Morning sir. Pls kindly confirm if the brakes dont get hot any longer.
Also for the ABS, TRAC AND VSC, IF THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO ERASE USING A SCAN TOOL. THING IS, ALL THIS SYSTEMS WORK TOGETHER.IF THERE IS A FAULT IN ONE, IT WILL TRIGGER THE OTHER LIGHTS. FOR EXAMPLE A FAULTY WHEEL SPEED SENSOR WILL CAUSE ALL THOSE LIGHTS TO COME ON EVEN EVAP LEAK will trigger those lights.
So a simple scan will let you know if there is a fault code stored, or if the issue has been fixed. In that case you'll just clear the code.
For the check engine light, scan the engine management system. The fault code stored will tell you what you need to fix.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Stormyweather(m): 8:07am On Oct 04, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Morning sir. Pls kindly confirm if the brakes dont get hit any longer.
Also for the ABS, TRAC AND VSC, IF THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO ERASE USING A SCAN TOOL. THING IS, ALL THIS SYSTEMS WORK TOGETHER.IF THERE IS A FAULT IN ONE, IT WILL TRIGGER THE OTHER LIGHTS. FOR EXAMPLE A FAULTY WHEEL SPEED SENSOR WILL CAUSE ALL THOSE LIGHTS TO COME ON EVEN EVAP LEAK will trigger those lights.
So a simple scan will let you know if there is a fault code stored, or if the issue has been fixed. In that case you'll just clear the code.
For the check engine light, scan the engine management system. The fault code stored will tell you what you need to fix.
thanks boss
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:14am On Oct 04, 2019
Stormyweather:
thanks boss
Once you have the code. Pls kindly post here so we can follow up on the issue.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Stormyweather(m): 8:25am On Oct 04, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Once you have the code. Pls kindly post here so we can follow up on the issue.
okay i will

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by chuksmad(m): 9:25am On Oct 04, 2019
Thank you, I will check those faults you mentioned
AutoMoTech:

Morning boss. Very sorry for late reply.
Kindly check your Temperature sensor. Sometimes they fail and the ecu is unable to determine d state of d Engine if its cold or hot. Also check its wiring too.
Also check your idle air control system. It might be stuck.
If possible pls scan the vehicle. Certain sensors might have failed which might be causing this poor engine performance at cold start up.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:45am On Oct 04, 2019
chuksmad:
Thank you, I will check those faults you mentioned
welcome sir
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by nonhuman(m): 3:46pm On Oct 04, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Please what do you mean by fuel drain?
Do you mean your vehicle consumes more fuel?
Or you notice fuel leak from the vehicle?
Pls kindly clarify... Thanks

As regards, pls be careful how you go through flood. If its possible to avoid it by taking a longer route pls do. internal combustion engines do not like flood. If water gets into areas its not supposed to get to, it wil cause a huge damage and cost of fixing will be high. Esp parts that are located in the lower part of the vehicle like starter motor, compressor, PS pump (in some vehicles), excess water or dirt can reduce the performance of your radiator, condenser and the fans.
yes my car consumes more fuel now than usual by 50%
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 10:12pm On Oct 04, 2019
nonhuman:
yes my car consumes more fuel now than usual by 50%
Chief.... The fuel filter wouldn't cause higher fuel consumption. Rather it will cause a restriction to fuel supply.
Your issue resides somewhere else.
Leaky exhaust, bad O2 sensors, faulty injectors, non-recommended fuel pump (pumping at higher pressure than required), faulty fuel regulator if there is one, vacuum leak, faulty MAF/MAP sensor etc. So many things can cause this high fuel consumption. Pls get in touch with a competent tech to help diagnose this issue sir...
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by glambo(m): 1:07am On Oct 05, 2019
I bought a tokubo Toyota Camry 2003 about 4 months ago, but I notice that the fuel consumptions seems to be on the high side.
I use about 13liters over 60km drive daily. Mixed of city and highway driving.
Attach is the history of my fuel usage. Found this application online and use it to monitor my fuel usage.
Please is this normal.
The consumption is measured in Kilometer/ litre.
From what I checked online (28mpg- 35mpg) the consumption shouldnt be DAT high.
Please what could b the problem

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 7:38am On Oct 05, 2019
glambo:
I bought a tokubo Toyota Camry 2003 about 4 months ago, but I notice that the fuel consumptions seems to be on the high side.
I use about 13liters over 60km drive daily. Mixed of city and highway driving.
Attach is the history of my fuel usage. Found this application online and use it to monitor my fuel usage.
Please is this normal.
The consumption is measured in Kilometer/ litre.
From what I checked online (28mpg- 35mpg) the consumption shouldnt be DAT high.
Please what could b the problem

Chief. If i say I understand that picture ehn. Na lie i lie.
What i'll advice is this.
1. Write down your odometer just before refill.
2. Refill your tank to full tank.
3. drive the vehicle normally till that low fuel light comes on.
4. Note your odometer
5. Refill again
6. Drive till light comes on.
7. Note your odometer reading.

So atleast we'll have 2 test results to work with.
That way we can get an idea of your mpg. Though not actual but close to it.

There is also anoda method i came across. Lemme see if i'll see it

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by glambo(m): 2:48pm On Oct 05, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Chief. If i say I understand that picture ehn. Na lie i lie.
What i'll advice is this.
1. Write down your odometer just before refill.
2. Refill your tank to full tank.
3. drive the vehicle normally till that low fuel light comes on.
4. Note your odometer
5. Refill again
6. Drive till light comes on.
7. Note your odometer reading.

So atleast we'll have 2 test results to work with.
That way we can get an idea of your mpg. Though not actual but close to it.

There is also anoda method i came across. Lemme see if i'll see it

Converting that to MPG, my usage is abt 13-14MPG.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 10:01pm On Oct 05, 2019
glambo:

Converting that to MPG, my usage is abt 13-14MPG.

Wow... Dts half of d official figure...
Well... You will need to get your vehicle diagnosed to pin point the cause of this excessively high fuel consumption.
Focus on the O2 sensor inputs, ECT input, check for vacuum leaks, etc...
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Billiebaba(m): 2:27am On Oct 07, 2019
Hello boss, pls where and how can I get a PC based oscilloscope. Thanks in advance sir
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:47am On Oct 07, 2019
Billiebaba:
Hello boss, pls where and how can I get a PC based oscilloscope. Thanks in advance sir
Boss check Aliexpress

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by mumayo: 5:31am On Oct 09, 2019
please I need expert opinion. my Mitsubishi Chariot (GDI) 1998 suddenly stopped after a sound while on motion. Called my mechanic who informed me that the Timing belt has cut and that I have to buy a new engine. please is this in line because the price he's quoting for a tokunbo engine don weak me
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Mrford(m): 6:53am On Oct 09, 2019
mumayo:
please I need expert opinion. my Mitsubishi Chariot (GDI) 1998 suddenly stopped after a sound while on motion. Called my mechanic who informed me that the Timing belt has cut and that I have to buy a new engine. please is this in line because the price he's quoting for a tokunbo engine don weak me

If its true your timing belt cut. It doesn't necessarily mean you will buy a new engine. The valves will likely bend. He need to inspect it first to ascertain the extent of the damage. Before he advice.

2 Likes

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:23am On Oct 10, 2019
morning guys
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by ifeolu002(m): 7:59am On Oct 11, 2019
Good Morning Guru,

I just got a 2004 Matrix about a week about. The first scan code i observed was P0505
After my mechanic check the did servicing of the car with Mobil 1 synthetic , More code came out and the car engine performance is not smooth even after servicing the nozzle.
Below are the codes observed initially;
P0505
P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304

This also came out later in pending fault
P0171
P0133
P0451

Please what might be the issue for this numerous codes all at what
Your detailed reply will be appreciated.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Billiebaba(m): 9:09am On Oct 11, 2019
The ones initially, observed is a misfire code for all cylinders. P0505 is an Idle Air Control code, your car might have a rough idle or stall, just have it checked,it is located in the throttle body, it might be clogged. The ones you observed after maybe has a result of faulty or clogged MAF sensor deceiving the PCM to run the engine lean, or faulty O2 sensor not feeding back correctly, there by continuously running the engine lean. Alot of variables not surfacing in the fault codes might need to be checked as well.
ifeolu002:
Good Morning Guru,

I just got a 2004 Matrix about a week about. The first scan code i observed was P0505
After my mechanic check the did servicing of the car with Mobil 1 synthetic , More code came out and the car engine performance is not smooth even after servicing the nozzle.
P0505
P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304

P0171
P0133
P0451

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 10:39am On Oct 11, 2019
ifeolu002:
Good Morning Guru,

P0505
P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304

P0171
P0133
P0451

In addition to Billiebaba's diagnosis
First things to do
1. Diagnose your O2 sensor and its circuitry.
"P0133 indicates the ECM senses that the O2 Sensor is not changing its voltage output quickly enough to the changing air-fuel ratio. Hence why the P0133 trouble code definition is O2 sensor circuit “slow response” because the circuit is not reacting quickly enough." You can look this up online.
This could be the cause of the lean condition.
If the circuit is good. Change the sensor. Monitor the o2 sensor readings then see how the PCM responds.
2. P0451 TOYOTA - EVAP System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance.
Check your EVAP system. Ensure there are no leaks on the hoses, make sure the solenoids are not stuck closed, open or partially closed/open.
3. Once the above have been done... And the misfires are still present, then we proceed to diagnose the cause of the misfires.

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:26am On Oct 11, 2019
Billiebaba:
The ones initially, observed is a misfire code for all cylinders. P0505 is an Idle Air Control code, your car might have a rough idle or stall, just have it checked,it is located in the throttle body, it might be clogged. The ones you observed after maybe has a result of faulty or clogged MAF sensor deceiving the PCM to run the engine lean, or faulty O2 sensor not feeding back correctly, there by continuously running the engine lean. Alot of variables not surfacing in the fault codes might need to be checked as well.

Nice one bro

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by vinzita1(m): 2:17pm On Oct 13, 2019
Good day
My camry 2007 4plug engine of which I thing is not normal, it sound like turbo engine when ever the gear is changing to high speed.

I have check the exhaust system as well as the caterlyst which is present.
What could be problem and solution

Secondly, the car body vibrate, what could be the problem and solution
Pls I need your idea
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 2:41pm On Oct 13, 2019
vinzita1:
Good day
My camry 2007 4plug engine of which I thing is not normal, it[b] sound like turbo[/b] engine when ever the gear is changing to high speed.

I have check the exhaust system as well as the caterlyst which is present.
What could be problem and solution

Secondly, the car body vibrate, what could be the problem and solution
Pls I need your idea
1. Pls kindly describe this sound.
2. Does the sound come from the engine?
3. Kindly confirm it only happens at high gear.
4. Does the vibration happen at any speed or at a particular speed?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (38) (Reply)

Mulliner Bacalar: Bentley Unveils Car With Trim Made From 5,000-Year-old Wood / You Can Produce Lubricants, Printing Inks, Auto Car Paints Etc In Nigeria / Fatal Accident Along Asaba Airport Road, Entire Family Dead... Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.