Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,911 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech (71810 Views)

Benz C300 Assessment & Review / Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / Adewale Auto Care And Diagnosis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by lordkenny(m): 5:32pm On Sep 06, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Sorry about your ordeal. However i have some questions.
1. Where do you reside?
2. When you scanned did you do a full system or scan or just engine? Pls kindly scan the whole system and let us have the details. Also if the scan result is in pdf, i would love to have it via email or whatsapp for better analysis.
Guessing off the top of my head, since engine moves on reverse but not in drive... It might not be mechanical.
3. After the repair was done, was the car moving forward atleast?
Can U possibly restore the original parts that were removed? And see how the vehicle responds.

Thanks for your repsonse.

1. Presently reside in Isanlu, Kogi state.
2. it was a full system scan but I don't have the result. The mechanic can and work on the codes.
3. Yes the car was moving but not accelerating.

Will check that and revert.

Thank You.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by kayphyzee(m): 7:17am On Sep 07, 2019
Good morning Op, quick one please. What would you advise on resolving a P0505 error code?

Thank you.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by topzdan(m): 10:36am On Sep 07, 2019
Please I drive a Toyota Corolla 07. I recently discovered the car keeps jerking for a while whenever I mistakenly speed into potholes and I recently changed the fuel pumps, plugs. What do you advise? Thank you
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:10am On Sep 07, 2019
lordkenny:

Thanks for your repsonse.

1. Presently reside in Isanlu, Kogi state.
2. it was a full system scan but I don't have the result. The mechanic can and work on the codes.
3. Yes the car was moving but not accelerating.

Will check that and revert.

Thank You.
Alright. No problem
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:11am On Sep 07, 2019
kayphyzee:
Good morning Op, quick one please. What would you advise on resolving a P0505 error code?

Thank you.
Kindly provide information on what car this is. Tnx
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:17am On Sep 07, 2019
topzdan:
Please I drive a Toyota Corolla 07. I recently discovered the car keeps jerking for a while whenever I mistakenly speed into potholes and I recently changed the fuel pumps, plugs. What do you advise? Thank you

Check your electricals. Ensure they are in good condition.
Start with battery terminals. Ensure they are tight.
Next check your fuses and relays. There might be one not sitting properly. Just remove all d relays and put them back.
Also wire connectors for wires, sensors, actuators etc. As many as u can see, unplug them. Clean the ones that are dirty and fix them back. Ensure they are properly connected.
Finally, check wirings. There might be a wire thats about to cut so when the engine enters the pot holes it vibrates and looses contact briefly.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by kayphyzee(m): 12:00pm On Sep 07, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Kindly provide information on what car this is. Tnx

Toyota Rav4 2001
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 10:55am On Sep 08, 2019
kayphyzee:

Toyota Rav4 2001
Sorry for late reply
That code is set when the Engine computer senses a fault with your idle speed control system.
Possible faults are;
1. Faulty Wiring for the idle valve (if wire don cut or e no make good contact) solution is to check and fix the wiring.
2. Idle Valve dt is stuck or closed. Wouldn't move regardless of engine computer input. Solution you might need to remove the idle control valve and clean it if it will still function otherwise change it.
3. Dirty throttle body. Even if the idle valve is functioning, a dirty throttle body won't allow enough air get into the engine. Sometimes the ECM interpretes this as a fault with the idle valve. So pls while checking the above kindly ensure you clean the throttle body as best as you can.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by kayphyzee(m): 6:43pm On Sep 08, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Sorry for late reply
That code is set when the Engine computer senses a fault with your idle speed control system.
Possible faults are;
1. Faulty Wiring for the idle valve (if wire don cut or e no make good contact) solution is to check and fix the wiring.
2. Idle Valve dt is stuck or closed. Wouldn't move regardless of engine computer input. Solution you might need to remove the idle control valve and clean it if it will still function otherwise change it.
3. Dirty throttle body. Even if the idle valve is functioning, a dirty throttle body won't allow enough air get into the engine. Sometimes the ECM interpretes this as a fault with the idle valve. So pls while checking the above kindly ensure you clean the throttle body as best as you can.

Thanks for the feedback. I attempted a DIY today and got to the IACV. Quite dirty and had some black soot. I didn't have enough tools to loosen the rubber clamped on the throttle body. I removed the IACV from the throttle body, cleaned same regardless but not so thorough. There were two screws that I could not remove to allow me roll the sensor for free movement (I saw a YouTube video on how to clean the IACV). I will visit the mechanic next Saturday since I know what do now.

For cleaning agent, can I use a carb cleaner if I couldn't find a throttle cleaner.

Thanks again.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:42pm On Sep 08, 2019
kayphyzee:

Thanks for the feedback. I attempted a DIY today and got to the IACV. Quite dirty and had some black soot. I didn't have enough tools to loosen the rubber clamped on the throttle body. I removed the IACV from the throttle body, cleaned same regardless but not so thorough. There were two screws that I could not remove to allow me roll the sensor for free movement (I saw a YouTube video on how to clean the IACV). I will visit the mechanic next Saturday since I know what do now.

For cleaning agent, can I use a carb cleaner if I couldn't find a throttle cleaner.

Thanks again.
Ok nice. A visit to the mechanic will save you stress of breaking something... grin but then as regards d cleaning agent.... Different school of thought. Some say carb clean is too harsh. So say U can use it. So sincerely, i dnt kno. Whenever possible i dont use them tho. Only if i absolutely need to.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by kayphyzee(m): 9:00am On Sep 09, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Ok nice. A visit to the mechanic will save you stress of breaking something... grin but then as regards d cleaning agent.... Different school of thought. Some say carb clean is too harsh. So say U can use it. So sincerely, i dnt kno. Whenever possible i dont use them tho. Only if i absolutely need to.

Thanks
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 10:01pm On Sep 09, 2019
kayphyzee:

Thanks
Welcome sir... Hope u get the issue resolved
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:40am On Sep 11, 2019
Here to help. Got a problem? Share lets help you get it resolved.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:42am On Sep 14, 2019
Happy weekend
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by tojahh(m): 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2019
My Honda Civic when on D, D3, R or D2 it will not move. Keep revving then pick. After like 2mins it will not move again just keep revving till I turn off the ignation and on. The process will repeat.

The transmission oil is well gauged so I don't know what the issue is. This just started today.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 2:13pm On Sep 14, 2019
tojahh:
My Honda Civic when on D, D3, R or D2 it will not move. Keep revving then pick. After like 2mins it will not move again just keep revving till I turn off the ignation and on. The process will repeat.

The transmission oil is well gauged so I don't know what the issue is. This just started today.
Is the check engine light on sir?
Pls kindly scan both the engine and transmission. Lets see what codes are stored on memory.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by tojahh(m): 3:44pm On Sep 17, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Is the check engine light on sir?
Pls kindly scan both the engine and transmission. Lets see what codes are stored on memory.

Yes its on. And I scan my the car and I got these

P0730
P0141
P0113
P0302

What's the way forward uncle?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 4:09pm On Sep 17, 2019
tojahh:

Yes its on. And I scan my the car and I got these

P0730
P0141
P0113
P0302

What's the way forward uncle?
P0730 points to a transmission fault.
Did you just change trans oil? Which oil did you change to?
Pls also confirm model year.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by tojahh(m): 4:19pm On Sep 17, 2019
AutoMoTech:

P0730 points to a transmission fault.
Did you just change trans oil? Which oil did you change to?
Pls also confirm model year.

Nope. I didn't just change oil. The previous owner said he didn't change it and can't remember the oil there.

Car is a Honda Civic 2003
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 4:28pm On Sep 17, 2019
tojahh:

Nope. I didn't just change oil. The previous owner said he didn't change it and can't remember the oil there.

Car is a Honda Civic 2003
There is a possibility the oil inside has been overused and lost every ability to protect/lubricate the gears in d transmission.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by tojahh(m): 5:16pm On Sep 17, 2019
AutoMoTech:

There is a possibility the oil inside has been overused and lost every ability to protect/lubricate the gears in d transmission.

Way forward sir?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:31pm On Sep 17, 2019
tojahh:

Way forward sir?
Confirm the state of the oil in d transmission. If bad replace.
Otherwise... You need to get a competent tech to help you diagnose the fault with the transmission.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 10:56am On Sep 21, 2019
grin
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Sonsynas: 6:12am On Sep 22, 2019
Newly imported Gs300 2006.

Noticed smoke from the engine whenever i start the engine thou not too sure where the smoke is coming from.

House pls what could be the cause of the smoke.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by joshyo1(m): 11:40am On Sep 23, 2019
erico2k2:

Regarding your fuel consumption, what's your Engine capacity?
The only way to get waht you are saying is to read your fuel trims.and read your codes
*2.0*
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 12:21pm On Sep 25, 2019
Sonsynas:
Newly imported Gs300 2006.

Noticed smoke from the engine whenever i start the engine thou not too sure where the smoke is coming from.

House pls what could be the cause of the smoke.
very sorry for the late reply.
would be difficult suggesting where the smoke might be coming from. pls next time kindly find somebody else to start the car while you go and check where the smoke is coming from...
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 12:25pm On Sep 25, 2019
joshyo1:

*2.0*
boss as suggested kindly run a scan of your vehicle and provide codes if there are any stored. if there are none kindly find a competent tech to help diagnose this issue.
high fuel consumption can be caused by various issues like faulty O2 sensor, high fuel pressure, leaky fuel regulator, faulty MAP, leaky exhaust and so many other things. so it takes a deep diagnosis to find the cause of the high fuel consumption.
kindly run a scan and lets go from there.
regards...
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by tojahh(m): 12:47pm On Sep 25, 2019
Abeg how much is transmission for Honda civic 2003?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 6:58pm On Sep 25, 2019
tojahh:
Sorry i dont have info on that.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by row2ray(m): 8:43am On Sep 26, 2019
Boss I've been having problems starting my acura 05 tl, the gasket burnt, I changed the engine but since then it has refused to start. The engine turns but won't pick. The immobilizer light comes on but the electrician says he has fixed that but still it doesn't pick... And won't read when a diagnostics machine is plugged in

Pls help boss I love the car but I'm considering selling it as scrap now
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Debosneh31(m): 1:39pm On Sep 26, 2019
tojahh:

I just changed my civic 05 gear and its 90k excluding gear oil
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 3:02pm On Sep 26, 2019
row2ray:
Boss I've been having problems starting my acura 05 tl, the gasket burnt, I changed the engine but since then it has refused to start. The engine turns but won't pick. The immobilizer light comes on but the electrician says he has fixed that but still it doesn't pick... And won't read when a diagnostics machine is plugged in

Pls help boss I love the car but I'm considering selling it as scrap now
sorry about this ordeal boss. if i got you correctly sir you said the engine cranks but wont start.
pls kindly confirm the following
1. is the immobilizer fault truely fixed or you were told? because if there is an immobilizer fault, the vehicle still wont start.
what i can deduce is you have a faulty electrical system. non-communication via OBD is either modules are down or the wiring to the OBD port is faulty.

pls find a competent auto-technician
check all fuses and relays
check ignition (do you have a good spark)
check fuel injectors (are they spraying fuel?)

a faulty crank sensor can also cause a no-start condition. kindly confirm wirings are intact. if otherwise fix.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply)

Mulliner Bacalar: Bentley Unveils Car With Trim Made From 5,000-Year-old Wood / You Can Produce Lubricants, Printing Inks, Auto Car Paints Etc In Nigeria / Fatal Accident Along Asaba Airport Road, Entire Family Dead... Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.