Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,858 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech (71751 Views)

Benz C300 Assessment & Review / Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / Adewale Auto Care And Diagnosis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by FreshMekanik: 2:36pm On Jun 25, 2019
bendovex:

Thanks for your response,
so the problem is from the transmission? Do you know any competent technician you can recommend around Port Harcourt?
Thanks once again.

Bring it to our workshop.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 2:41pm On Jun 25, 2019
FreshMekanik:

Nice. Na PH U dey shey?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by FreshMekanik: 2:51pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Nice. Na PH U dey shey?
Yes
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 3:15pm On Jun 25, 2019
FreshMekanik:

Yes

Thats good. So i can refer potential customers to ur workshop
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 3:25pm On Jun 25, 2019
Continued...
Check your air Filters (air filter and cabin filter)
Some engine performance problems we experience is due to faulty, clogged or dirty air filters attached to them and the wear caused by them. You should get your filters changed (periodically) if defective or cleaned if dirty and reuseable. Don't ignore this maintenance as it can lead to problems in your engine if it cant breathe well. That is it is starved of getting enough clean air and also your AC as you will be breathing unhealthy air in your car.

You can get the filter replaced at your mechanic away in the comfort of your garage in just 10 minutes. By doing it yourself, you can save the trip to the mechanic and also money. Here is how you can do it yourself:

Check your Air Filter
× Firstly locate your filter, which is situated in the hood of the car. It is a black rectangular box, which has metal clips inside it. You can see it as soon as you pop the hood. If you don't find it there, then check the owner's manual for assistance.
× After locating it remove the casing and see how the filter is fit inside it. It is important to note the directions of the filter. Make a note of the directions of the filter and remove it.
× After removing it insert the new filter the same way the old one was fit in the same direction. You will see that it will be perfectly fit touching the edges.
× Now close the metal clips after you are done. This way you have changed the air filter.
You can also clean out the debris from your old filter by using compressed air. This will improve the life of the filter and make it last longer.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by FreshMekanik: 4:57pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Thats good. So i can refer potential customers to ur workshop
Yes. Thanks
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 5:53pm On Jun 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:
Continued...
Check your air Filters (air filter and cabin filter)
Some engine performance problems we experience is due to faulty, clogged or dirty air filters attached to them and the wear caused by them. You should get your filters changed (periodically) if defective or cleaned if dirty and reuseable. Don't ignore this maintenance as it can lead to problems in your engine if it cant breathe well. That is it is starved of getting enough clean air and also your AC as you will be breathing unhealthy air in your car.

You can get the filter replaced at your mechanic away in the comfort of your garage in just 10 minutes. By doing it yourself, you can save the trip to the mechanic and also money. Here is how you can do it yourself:

Check your Air Filter
× Firstly locate your filter, which is situated in the hood of the car. It is a black rectangular box, which has metal clips inside it. You can see it as soon as you pop the hood. If you don't find it there, then check the owner's manual for assistance.
× After locating it remove the casing and see how the filter is fit inside it. It is important to note the directions of the filter. Make a note of the directions of the filter and remove it.
× After removing it insert the new filter the same way the old one was fit in the same direction. You will see that it will be perfectly fit touching the edges.
× Now close the metal clips after you are done. This way you have changed the air filter.
You can also clean out the debris from your old filter by using compressed air. This will improve the life of the filter and make it last longer.
Nice write up, but the readers need to put into cognisant that some cars come with cold air intake and other kind of after market intake modification. Not all filter is rectangular.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by arantess: 6:16pm On Jun 25, 2019
FreshMekanik:

Yes
At last , one based in PH
Pls share ur digits, tnx

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:20pm On Jun 25, 2019
jceesquare:

Nice write up, but the readers need to put into cognisant that some cars come with cold air intake and other kind of after market intake modification. Not all filter is rectangular.
Na tru sha.... just for those dt av absolutely no idea wat it looks like
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by FreshMekanik: 9:30pm On Jun 25, 2019
arantess:
At last , one based in PH Pls share ur digits, tnx

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by bendovex: 9:45pm On Jun 25, 2019
FreshMekanik:

where is your workshop sir?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by FreshMekanik: 10:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
bendovex:
where is your workshop sir?

No 36 eze gbaka gbaka Street off elelenwo woji road woji, port Harcourt.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by haykay2005: 10:32pm On Jun 25, 2019
autologic:

Camry 2000 throttle system doesn't lend itself to ECU relearn .Just service the throttle assembly and idle system and it will automatical adjust itself to spec ( if it has not been kazeemised)
I have done that and it works fine. Pls I need to do a coolant flush. Like how many litters of a premixed coolant do I need and where to get one on lagos mainland? 1999/2000 toyota camry
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:13pm On Jun 25, 2019
haykay2005:

I have done that and it works fine. Pls I need to do a coolant flush. Like how many litters of a premixed coolant do I need and where to get one on lagos mainland? 1999/2000 toyota camry

Kindly contact autologic. Check his signature. He can help with the flushing and general engine diagnosis for an agreed fee.
Before changing to coolant also ensure your thermostat has not been removed if so replace. pressure test the cooling system for leakage and proper operation, ensure fan control is factory and not direct.
Hope the engine does not have a history of overheating?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:33am On Jun 26, 2019
2. Inspect Fluids and Tire Pressure Regularly
Inspect Fluids and Tire Pressure Regularly
This is something, which you shouldn't ignore or delay at any cost. They are the main components of your car and also have a habit of wearing and running out too quickly. You should always pay extra attention to your tires and fluids. The task to check it takes about 10 minutes only.

All you need to do is open the engine when it's cooled down and detach the oil dipstick. Clean it thoroughly and put it back again. Now when you pull it, you will notice the oil stuck to it. This way you will know when to change the engine oil.

While doing this also check your power steering fluid level and also the hoses and belts for any signs of wear. After warming up your car check the transmission fluid level too.

Now for your tires, you can check the pressure by using a gauge and ensure that it has the correct pressure for all tires. Conduct this every other week for less wear to your tire.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 8:41am On Jun 26, 2019
Come in. Drop your issues let me help you get them fixed.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 2:42pm On Jun 26, 2019
Check your Battery
Cqheck your Battery
We all have had our car batteries run out when we need it the most. We all faced the situation where we are left stranded on the road in the middle of the nights with just the lights of our cell phones. It isn't a pretty situation, is it?

To avoid this never ignore your low battery sign and always get it checked regularly. Check for leakage or any mineral build up around it. Clean it with a battery cleaning brush and do this whenever necessary.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by haykay2005: 10:58pm On Jun 26, 2019
AutoMoTech:

The camry 99 throttle system is by cable not wire. It needs to be manually adjusted. Reason why there is no ECU relearn as suggested by Autologic
autologic:

Service the idle control valve not only the throttle body .
ECu uses the idle control to add resources(air & fuel) to the powertrain system when extra load is being added to prevent the car from dying off and also any unnecessary vibration at low rpm for drive- by- cable throttle system.
Will it still take time to for the ecu to adjust after cleaning this? The rough idea has reduced at low speed but still there. I have cleaned the idle control valve as suggested. Extremely smooth in Park and neutral, to the extent that I will think my engine is not running
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:14am On Jun 27, 2019
Change your Spark Plugs
If you notice that your engine is not working efficiently, then the reason probably is the spark plugs. If not checked if they wear out easily and will be covered in a buildup. Check and get them replaced if needed. They usually last for 30,000 miles; see the owner's manual for an accurate idea as it is specifically written for your car and gives better details.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by haykay2005: 9:22am On Jun 27, 2019
AutoMoTech:
Change your Spark Plugs
If you notice that your engine is not working efficiently, then the reason probably is the spark plugs. If not checked if they wear out easily and will be covered in a buildup. Check and get them replaced if needed. They usually last for 30,000 miles; see the owner's manual for an accurate idea as it is specifically written for your car and gives better details.
I just replaced with a new recommended spark plugs and general tune up. I noticed the issue started as a result of cleaning throttle body
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:31am On Jun 27, 2019
haykay2005:

Will it still take time to for the ecu to adjust after cleaning this? The rough idea has reduced at low speed but still there. I have cleaned the idle control valve as suggested. Extremely smooth in Park and neutral, to the extent that I will think my engine is not running

If i get you correctly sir you say the rough idle is reduced. Bt its only evident under load not at idle.
At this point i will suggest you contact any competent autotech around your area to help diagnose the issue. Because there are a number of things that cause rough idle under load.
Weak ignition spark (soaked or damaged spark plug or coil), dirty injectors etc.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:35am On Jun 27, 2019
haykay2005:

I just replaced with a new recommended spark plugs and general tune up. I noticed the issue started as a result of cleaning throttle body
Sorry bro... the spark plug article is just a general stuff wasnt directed to you.
However can you kindly provide details of everything that was done asides cleaning the TB?
Secondly the plugs you got, how did you know they were the recommended? Did u check the spark plug gap, heat range and quality to be sure? Many new spark plugs out there are actually fake.
Also any Trouble code after scanning?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:40am On Jun 27, 2019
haykay2005:

Currently having similar issue . My car vibrate towards the engine bay at low rpm especially when am applying break. Most of the time when I put on the AC. The vibration goes away at high speed. I just serviced the car and no code whatsoever. New plugs, throttle body cleaned, new fuel filter, no fuel pump problem, engine mounts in good shape. What could be the problem pls?
1999 toyota camry
So I just went through this again. There is also a possibility you are experiencing a misfire at lower RPM due to vacuum leak. Some vacuum lines might have been interchanged when the TB was being coupled back. Check your vacuum lines properly, try listen for a hissing noise this shpuld point to where the vacuum is leaking from.
If you dont find any, you will need to visit a competent tech.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 4:39pm On Jun 27, 2019
How often have you checked, cleaned or serviced your spark plugs?
This is one component in the engine many people fail to pay attention. Spark plugs are important in optimum sengine performance.
Got an issue with your engine or you have been experiencing electrical issues? Get in here lets talk about possible solutions. cheesy
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Pissful1(m): 3:12am On Jun 28, 2019
Hi NL's, My car is 2007 honda accord, my alternator was faulty so i have changed it but only to find out later the car a/c, wiper,head lights and other electrical's are not working.
I have taken the car to an electrician but he could not fix it, i need a very good auto shop within Warri and Effurun
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:58am On Jun 28, 2019
Pissful1:
Hi NL's, My car is 2007 honda accord, my alternator was faulty so i have changed it but only to find out later the car a/c, wiper,head lights and other electrical's are not working.
I have taken the car to an electrician but he could not fix it, i need a very good auto shop within Warri and Effurun

Sir Gazzuzz pls do you know any competent autotech around Warri or Effurun?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by autologic: 10:52am On Jun 28, 2019
Pissful1:
Can you mention all the full list of all accessories that are not working .I might be able to read into the pattern of the fault .
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by realmetrah: 7:13am On Jun 29, 2019
my Camry 1999 model car engine has really eaten deep into my pocket. for the past 6months I have changing the timing belt. following past threads on the issue, I have changed all engine components on that area ranging from water pumps to all the rollers there. I have used new and tokumbo belts but the problem still persists. It occurs averagely at 1 month interval. I have changed mechanic too. am now told to consider getting another engine. please help.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:56am On Jun 29, 2019
realmetrah:
my Camry 1999 model car engine has really eaten deep into my pocket. for the past 6months I have changing the timing belt. following past threads on the issue, I have changed all engine components on that area ranging from water pumps to all the rollers there. I have used new and tokumbo belts but the problem still persists. It occurs averagely at 1 month interval. I have changed mechanic too. am now told to consider getting another engine. please help.
Get an OEM timing kit. Change the whole timing kit with an OEM one and you should be fine.

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:35am On Jun 29, 2019
realmetrah:
Sorry about this sad experience bro. However sir i would love to point out changing the engine because of this? I feel thats an extreme measure. Anyway that timing belt drives the alternator, the cam and crankshaft pullies, the water pump and oil pump pullies and some other idler pullies (rollers).
U said you have changed water pumps to rollers. Now the other components that were not changed, have you checked dem carefully to be sure there is probably one that isn't wobbling and causing the belt to shred?
Let a competent mechanic inspect the crankshaft, camshaft and alternator pullies carefully for defects. Whatever is causing this issue might be there.
Also note that oil and sometimes water usually kills the belts. Kindly confirm if u av oil leaks arnd that area and fix.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:39am On Jun 29, 2019
The original timing belt kit would include water pump, timing belt, idler pulleys and the tensioner.but i doubt if he'll be able to get original complete kit for this our naija o
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 10:17am On Jun 29, 2019
realmetrah:
You've been buying fake parts.
Buy the original OEM kit and you would be fine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply)

To Be Shot With An AK-47 While Sitting In An Armored Car / Checkout The Number Plate Of This Car Found In Lagos (photo) / Mulliner Bacalar: Bentley Unveils Car With Trim Made From 5,000-Year-old Wood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.