Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,799 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech (71804 Views)

Benz C300 Assessment & Review / Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / Adewale Auto Care And Diagnosis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:51pm On Jul 21, 2019
AshipaEk0:

Go to radautoworks.

It's around you there.
Tnx jare. Was wondering really hard wc competent tech we got around dt area....

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:19am On Jul 24, 2019
GOod afternoon.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:30am On Jul 24, 2019
AV
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 7:52pm On Jul 30, 2019
grin
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by shokoman22: 2:01am On Jul 31, 2019
Hi guys, for those of you, who search spare parts in India, or for Indian car, I recommend boodmo . So a great choice of auto parts , at good prices, also have shipping, so who has Indian car models abroad, also can enjoy this service. Click here to check out by yourself wink
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:04am On Aug 01, 2019
good morning guys. let's help you with that diagnosis
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 12:07pm On Aug 06, 2019
Common Signs of a Dirty Air Filter

A car air filter cleans the air entering the engine. Signs of a dirty air filter include a misfiring engine, unusual noises, and reduced fuel economy.

A car engine combines air and gasoline in the combustion chamber to create power. This air reaches the engine through an air filter that works to keep out road debris, dirt, bugs, and other contaminants that can damage the engine. At the same time, the air filter must allow enough air to reach the engine so it can perform effectively. Over time, the air filter can become dirty and clogged, and the lack of air can affect the overall performance of your car.

When To Replace the Engine Air Filter:

Most auto companies recommend that you change the air filter every 10,000 to 15,000 miles, or every 12 months. However, if you typically drive in dusty or rural areas like Scottsdale, Arizona, or San Antonio, Texas, you might want to have your mechanic check and change it more frequently, such as every 6,000 miles. Driving in crowded areas where there is heavy traffic — including Los Angeles and Washington D.C. — causing you to stop and start more often also requires you to replace the air filter more frequently. Most vehicles also have a cabin air filter used to clean air entering the car’s interior, but it has a different maintenance schedule than an engine air filter.

Should you fail to replace your air filter at the suggested intervals, you may notice distinct signs of it needing replacement.

8 Signs Your Air Filter Needs Replacing

1. Reduced Fuel Economy. Your engine compensates for lower amounts of oxygen by consuming more fuel to produce sufficient power. Thus, if you notice your gas mileage lowering, it could indicate that the air filter needs replacing. However, this is true only for carbureted cars, most of which were made before 1980. Carburetors mix air and fuel at the ideal ratio for the internal combustion engine. Newer cars with fuel-injected engines use onboard computers to calculate the amount of air taken into the engine and adjusts the fuel flow accordingly. Therefore, the cleanliness of the air filter on newer cars shouldn't significantly affect fuel economy.

2. Misfiring Engine. Restricted air supply from a dirty air filter results in unburnt fuel exiting the engine in the form of soot residue. This soot accumulates on the spark plug, which in turn cannot deliver the necessary spark to combust the air-fuel mixture. You’ll notice the engine does not start up easily, misfires, or jerks roughly as a result.

3. Unusual Engine Sounds. In normal circumstances, when your car is stationary with the engine turned on, you should sense the smooth rotation of the engine in the form of subtle vibrations. If you notice your car vibrating excessively or hear coughing or popping noises, it is often from a clogged air filter causing dirtying or damaging a spark plug.

4. Check Engine Light Comes On. Many modern engines suck up about 10,000 gallons of air for every single gallon of fuel burned in the combustion cycle. The inadequate air supply can result in carbon deposits — the byproduct of combustion — accumulating in the engine and setting off the Check Engine Light. If that happens, have your mechanic check the air filter among other diagnostics. The Check Engine light can illuminate for a variety of reasons. A mechanic will need to scan the onboard computer for the stored trouble code that triggered the Check Engine Light as well as the source of the problem.

5. Air Filter Appears Dirty. A clean air filterappears white or off-white in color, but as it accumulates dust and dirt, it will look darker in color. However, very often, the inner layers of filter paper inside the air filter might have dust and debris that is not visible even in bright light. This makes it essential that you have your mechanic check the air filter when you take the car in for maintenance. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding replacement.

6. Reduced Horsepower. If your car does not respond adequately or if you notice jerking movements when you press the accelerator, this could indicate that your engine is not receiving all the air it needs to perform. Since it improves airflow, replacing your air filter can improve acceleration or horsepower by up to 11%.

7. Black, Sooty Smoke or Flames Exiting the Exhaust. The inadequate air supply can result in some of the fuel not burning completely in the combustion cycle. This unburnt fuel then exits the car through the exhaust pipe. If you see black smoke coming from your exhaust pipe, have your mechanic replace or clean the air filter. You might also hear popping sounds or see a flame at the end of the exhaust caused by heat in the exhaust system igniting the unburnt fuel near the tailpipe. This is a potentially hazardous condition and needs to be diagnosed right away.

8. Smell of Gasoline when Starting the Car. If there isn’t enough oxygen entering the carburetor or fuel ejection system when you start the car, the excess unburnt fuel exits the car through the exhaust pipe. Instead of seeing smoke or flames coming out of the exhaust pipe, you’ll smell gasoline. This is a clear indication that it’s time to replace the air filter.

Replacing your air filter benefits car longevity and engine performance. Engine air filters prevent harmful debris from damaging crucial components to keep the car running smoothly. They contribute to efficient driving by helping maintain the right air-to-fuel ratio, preventing the excess consumption of gasoline. Dirty air filters keep the system from getting the right amount of air or fuel and make it harder for the engine to perform its role. Having a fully-functioning engine air filter is critical to optimal car operation.

source: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/common-signs-of-a-dirty-air-filter
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by haykay2005: 7:43am On Aug 15, 2019
I eventually paid autologic a visit and all my car issues are now a thing of the past.

Within a short period of time he sorted my car(camry Pencil) AC headache, stubborn evaporation emission codes and some other hidden issues that hardly throw codes

Hold this guy very tight on your cars problem . He is very good
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 12:54pm On Aug 15, 2019
haykay2005:
I eventually paid autologic a visit and all my car issues are now a thing of the past.

Within a short period of time he sorted my car(camry Pencil) AC headache, stubborn evaporation emission codes and some other hidden issues that hardly throw codes

Beautiful.... Nice to hear that. Always great to hear positive customer feedback.
Thread is still alive. Drop your issues let's help you get a direction on a correct fix...
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by autologic: 6:15am On Aug 16, 2019
haykay2005:

Thanks sir for your good review of our services cheesy.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Aaaaarghmed(m): 11:49am On Aug 17, 2019
Pls I need advise as regards my babyboy 1999..if I park d car for 2 days without removing one of the battery terminal,the battery runs down..
But if I remove it every note before I sleep.. D car starts fine the next morning.pls what cud be d issue,Some said it an electrical fault and others said my battery is failing.And also there was a day I went to see someone and I sat in my car for 30minutes ,and I was playing music,when I started d car ,it refused to come up.I had to call an electrician to jump start it.thanks
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by autologic: 9:35pm On Aug 17, 2019
Parasite drain
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 10:17pm On Aug 19, 2019
Aaaaarghmed:
Pls I need advise as regards my babyboy 1999..if I park d car for 2 days without removing one of the battery terminal,the battery runs down..
But if I remove it every note before I sleep.. D car starts fine the next morning.pls what cud be d issue,Some said it an electrical fault and others said my battery is failing. And also there was a day I went to see someone and I sat in my car for 30minutes ,and I was playing music,when I started d car ,it refused to come up. I had to call an electrician to jump start it. thanks

2 things involved.....
1. One of the cells in your battery is dead.
Solution: Conduct a load test on your battery with a load tester to know the crank capacity.

2. Ask your mechanic to check for parasitic drain with his multimeter.

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Aaaaarghmed(m): 10:44pm On Aug 19, 2019
autologic:
Parasite drain
OK..tnks
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Aaaaarghmed(m): 10:45pm On Aug 19, 2019
jceesquare:

2 things involved.....
Solution: Conduct a load test on your battery with a load tester to know the crank capacity.

alright,tnks

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:47pm On Aug 24, 2019
jceesquare:

2 things involved.....

My money is on the parasitic drain tho. Why? Cranks without any issues if terminal is disconnected.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Darlenelove: 10:43pm On Aug 24, 2019
Hello guys
I recently acquired muscle v6 2009 model

I noticed heat emanating from the engine side when the engine is powered in few minutes

I will even feel it around driver door

I haven’t used v6 before

I make sure water level is ok including the reserve
Oil is well gashed

Any information regarding this? Or is it just how v6 works because my v4 isn’t that way.

Temperature range inside d car dashboard is ok
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 1:14pm On Aug 25, 2019
AutoMoTech:

My money is on the parasitic drain tho. Why? Cranks without any issues if terminal is disconnected.
The fact that the engine did not go off when you disconnect the terminal does not mean all is well with the battery or charging system.
A battery with one or two dead cells might start the car normally when you shut it down to restart immediately, but would find it difficult to start the car when parked overnight or on a cold start because of a poor Cold Crank Rating.
An alternator that under charges the battery would also end up damaging the battery on the long run and might keep the car running if you disconnect the terminal as long as there is enough spark to keep the car ignition system running.
His best bet is to read his car electrical system with a multimeter for battery drain or low charging, and also conduct a load test on his battery to be sure his battery has enough juice in it.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 1:27pm On Aug 25, 2019
Darlenelove:
Hello guys

I noticed heat emanating from the engine side when the engine is powered in few minutes

I haven’t used v6 before

Oil is well gashed

Any information regarding this? Or is it just how v6 works because my v4 isn’t that way.

Your car has an internal combustion engine that burns a mixture of oxygen and fuel in the combustion chamber to run. That process on a larger scale is supposed to generate a larger heat.
But even at that, it is abnormal for you to feel the heat that much in the cabin without the heater on.
Ask your technician to check it up. If vehicle has been involved in a front collision accident, he might need to check if the heat shield/noise insulation pad in the engine bay and in the cabin has been removed.

Check the heater system for malfunction (especially if you feel hot air blowing in when you feel the heat sensation).

Or look up other places in the cabin for the culprit.

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:12pm On Aug 26, 2019
AutoMoTech:

thank you Automotech and jceesquare,I have being able to correct my battery issue,I found out that the battery is failing and the battery needs replacement because one of the battery head is shaking.thanks guys

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by joshyo1(m): 11:57am On Aug 27, 2019
@Automo Tech.
i have a camry 99 model. i have been using it for 7sevens months now, but during this periods i have noticed the fuel consumption is usually high. i have compared it with similar models, over time but my still stands out. i have serviced my nozzles, changed air filter(new), changed fuel filter(new), changed the plugs,yet still not difference. after this last servicing two weeks ago, i notice this unusual vibration when i engage my gear, but when on motion i dont feel it. what else can i do please ?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 5:37am On Aug 28, 2019
joshyo1:
@Automo Tech.
i have a camry 99 model. What else can i do please ?
That car has an OBD2 scan port. What you should have done is scan the car for fault code if check engine light is on to direct you on what to fix before throwing parts at it.
There are several things responsible for excessive fuel consumption, a scan should direct you on where to check.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by joshyo1(m): 8:30am On Aug 28, 2019
jceesquare:

That car has an OBD2 scan port. What you should have done is scan the car for fault code if check engine light is on to direct you on what to fix before throwing parts at it.
There are several things responsible for excessive fuel combustion, a scan should direct you on where to check.

the engine check light doesn't stay on when i drive. it is only comes on at the point when the ignition is comes on. but after then the ccheck engine light goes off.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 11:14am On Aug 28, 2019
joshyo1:

the engine check light doesn't stay on when i drive. it is only comes on at the point when the ignition is comes on. but after then the ccheck engine light goes off.
They've tampered with the check engine light and rewired it to go off when the car starts.
Still scan the car for fault codes and post for solutions.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by joshyo1(m): 3:01pm On Aug 28, 2019
jceesquare:

They've tampered with the check engine light and rewired it to go off when the car starts.
Still scan the car for fault codes and post for solutions.

OK, THATS TAKEN, I WILL CHECK THAT[b][/b]

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 6:46pm On Sep 03, 2019
Still available to help diagnose your issues....

1 Like

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:45am On Sep 04, 2019
beautiful morning. its another great day. make the right decision. fix your car the right way. drop your requests here and we shall respond as soon as possible.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by erico2k2(m): 10:58am On Sep 05, 2019
Darlenelove:
Hello guys

I haven’t used v6 before

Oil is well gashed

Have you checked if your heat shields are in position?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by erico2k2(m): 11:01am On Sep 05, 2019
joshyo1:
@Automo Tech.
i have a camry 99 model. i have been using it for 7sevens months now, but during this periods i have noticed the fuel consumption is usually high. i have compared it with similar models, over time but my still stands out. i have serviced my nozzles, changed air filter(new), changed fuel filter(new), changed the plugs,yet still not difference. after this last servicing two weeks ago, i notice this unusual vibration when i engage my gear, but when on motion i dont feel it. what else can i do please ?
Regarding your fuel consumption, what's your Engine capacity?
The only way to get waht you are saying is to read your fuel trims.and read your codes
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by lordkenny(m): 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2019
Thanks for this thread.

Please assist me. My [b]Audi A6 2003 V6 Turbocharger [/b]engine initialy had an overheating issue. Alas I was not in Lagos or Ibadan where I can access Audi experts. I gave it to a local mechanic to check, he suggested changing the gasket and flushing the radiator. All was done.

While i was trying to check the quality of work done, I discovered that the car isn't starting once as before, then the car can't accelerate.

To cust the story short, we changed mass air flow sensor, throtle mouth sensor, and even the throtle perdal. Now the car can only accelerate while reverse gear but won't do so in drive. Rewire said it's a mechanical issue, the mechanic disagreed saying it's an electrical issue. I'm presently stucked and don't know what to do. Both were suggesting i change the engine and the gear.

had a rescan on the car and it's showing MAP sensor fault.

Please help me.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 4:04pm On Sep 05, 2019
lordkenny:
Thanks for this thread.

Please assist me. My [b]Audi A6 2003 V6 Turbocharger [/b]engine initialy had an overheating issue. Alas I was not in Lagos or Ibadan where I can access Audi experts. I gave it to a local mechanic to check, he suggested changing the gasket and flushing the radiator. All was done.

While i was trying to check the quality of work done, I discovered that the car isn't starting once as before, then the car can't accelerate.
To cust the story short, we changed mass air flow sensor, throtle mouth sensor, and even the throtle perdal. Now the car can only accelerate while reverse gear but won't do so in drive. Rewire said it's a mechanical issue, the mechanic disagreed saying it's an electrical issue. I'm presently stucked and don't know what to do. Both were suggesting i change the engine and the gear.

had a rescan on the car and it's showing MAP sensor fault.

Please help me.

Sorry about your ordeal. However i have some questions.
1. Where do you reside?
2. When you scanned did you do a full system or scan or just engine? Pls kindly scan the whole system and let us have the details. Also if the scan result is in pdf, i would love to have it via email or whatsapp for better analysis.
Guessing off the top of my head, since engine moves on reverse but not in drive... It might not be mechanical.
3. After the repair was done, was the car moving forward atleast?
Can U possibly restore the original parts that were removed? And see how the vehicle responds.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 3:12pm On Sep 06, 2019
lordkenny

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply)

Mulliner Bacalar: Bentley Unveils Car With Trim Made From 5,000-Year-old Wood / You Can Produce Lubricants, Printing Inks, Auto Car Paints Etc In Nigeria / Fatal Accident Along Asaba Airport Road, Entire Family Dead... Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.