Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,279 members, 7,826,082 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! (27782 Views)

Girls Are More Smarter Than Boys: The Do Better Academically. / How Bet9ja Virtual Almost Ruined My Life!!! / I Am Finished. Bet9ja Virtual Has Ruined My Education,my Life And My Soul. HELP! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 21, 2019
ityP:
2014, I got admitted to study Medical Lab Science with connections from the provost of Federal Med lab school and many well known lecturers in the university even though my waec and jamb were excellent (2 As, 5 B3, 1 C4 and a score of 246 in Jamb).

I don't even know who or what was directly involved. . But when I started, I was very unmotivated. I really can't tell why. Maybe wrong associations, maybe cos it wasn't medicine, I don't know.

After the first semester of 100 level, I left the university. One of the lecturers who aided my admission begged me to rescind my decision or at least to defer it. In her exact words, 'I'd regret my decision'. Still I left without deferring.

My widowed mum was terribly heart broken. I was hers and my late dad's pride. I was the most intelligent of her three kids. I remember telling her that 'School na scam, if I do business, I go make am quicker'. She always told me and my siblings that we weren't cut out for business life. Still I ventured into photography. Spent 6 months in training to become a pro photographer. In 2015, I bought my own Nikon D3200 camera and a second hand hp laptop. I started meager jobs. I was earning small cash here and there. To be a top photographer tho, I needed equipments; a good Speedlite, good zoom and prime lenses, not my ordinary 18-55mm kit lens, soft boxes, and so on. And these would cost money. Money I didn't have. My camera and laptop were the only thing I could afford then.

Few months later, I started regreting my decision of leaving school. I would see my former coursemates in town and they'd ask questions on why I left, but I really couldn't provide any tangible reason for leaving. One even showed me some of my first semester grades and I was almost in tears 'cause I did very well. I was almost getting depressed late 2015. 2016 came and it started just as dull. But just before the closing date for Jamb registration was due, I bought a form. Same course (Medical Laboratory Science), same university. This time around, I would do everything low key without asking for anyone's assistance. I wrote jamb and got a score of 259. I checked on jamb portal when admission status began to be checked and lo and behold, I was admitted. I called my mom and even though she was happy for me, she told me, she wasn't gonna sponsor my admission this time. I was heartbroken but I can't blame her to be very honest. But then, we started hearing news that our admission would be cancelled because of accreditation issues. In fact, our names weren't included in the school's admission portal. School started and still, no news. But I was convinced God was giving me a second chance, so I started attending lectures even though we didn't know our fate. Two weeks before exams, our accreditation issues were resolved and our names finally appeared on the school's portal. Medical lab sci, biochem, and slt had this problem. So two weeks was added for us to receive short additional lectures, while others were writing exams. That was how my second chance began.

I'm presently in 300 level. Today, my former coursemates would be inducted as MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTISTS. I couldn't sleep at all. I would not go to the induction as I may not be able to control the tears. I SHOULD HAVE BEEN AMONG THE INDUCTING STUDENTS, BUT I THREW IT ALL AWAY. The most painful words anyone can utter in life are, "HAD I KNOWN". Don't make costly mistakes that would make you say these words!!!

Bro School na scam. I’m currently studying pharmacy and I’ve repeated twice. My mates are in their final year. I’m happy I’m not in final year because after school what next? Now that’s the question I’m asking myself.
My point, don’t look at peoples time to set yours. Dey your lane

4 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Offpoint1: 8:02am On Jun 21, 2019
ok
Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by adewest1999(m): 8:02am On Jun 21, 2019
Seriously this post has changed the way I view life.....op thanks for sharing but guy you gats dey happy ehn.... no first position for this life opo... laslas everybody go dey alright

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by qanda: 8:02am On Jun 21, 2019
Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by calculator123(m): 8:03am On Jun 21, 2019
Security
Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by olatilldend: 8:04am On Jun 21, 2019
Different strokes for different folks. I know a young chap who resigned from a top MNC in oil and gas to take up photography, he was a permanent staff. Its possible he had the money to buy all what you were talking about, but he's not regretting any bit.

I thank the good Lord for your life though. Stay focused, you've chosen the path dear to your heart and may the good Lord see you through.

7 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by adioolayi(m): 8:04am On Jun 21, 2019
Time and season wait for no man......We cant control time and season, but we can control what we do with them, in them. Be strong, better days ahead.

3 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Daeylar(f): 8:05am On Jun 21, 2019
Funny enough I like the fact that you left to follow your dreams and did things the way you wanted, especially despite the fact that your mum and the lecturers were trying to tell you not to. You took life on your own terms.

You call it had I known. But I think you would have been more upset thinking what could have been if I had followed my photography dreams.

I also like the fact that you knew and went for what you wanted. Did it. Knew when to walk away, and Took any problems that may arise due to your decisions in stride
E.g. you took a decision to follow photography and you did. Realized that it wouldn't work out and you returned to school, then when you mum told you she wouldn't pay for your schooling, you didn't bother about that and took it in stride also.

I like that.

I see nothing for you to regret over here. Absolutely nothing.

Forget about when anyone is graduating. You'll soon graduate. In the next 10 years it wouldn't be about when anyone graduated, but how well you were able to use your time after graduation. Focus on that.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by adioolayi(m): 8:05am On Jun 21, 2019
bojbest:

Bro School na scam. I’m currently studying pharmacy and I’ve repeated twice. My mates are in their final year. I’m happy I’m not in final year because after school what next? Now that’s the question I’m asking myself.
My point, don’t look at peoples time to set yours. Dey your lane
You repeated twice...Why Tell others why you repeated and don't generalise schooling as scam

18 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 21, 2019
ityP:
2014, I got admitted to study Medical Lab Science with connections from the provost of Federal Med lab school and many well known lecturers in the university even though my waec and jamb were excellent (2 As, 5 B3, 1 C4 and a score of 246 in Jamb).

I don't even know who or what was directly involved. . But when I started, I was very unmotivated. I really can't tell why. Maybe wrong associations, maybe cos it wasn't medicine, I don't know.

After the first semester of 100 level, I left the university. One of the lecturers who aided my admission begged me to rescind my decision or at least to defer it. In her exact words, 'I'd regret my decision'. Still I left without deferring.

My widowed mum was terribly heart broken. I was hers and my late dad's pride. I was the most intelligent of her three kids. I remember telling her that 'School na scam, if I do business, I go make am quicker'. She always told me and my siblings that we weren't cut out for business life. Still I ventured into photography. Spent 6 months in training to become a pro photographer. In 2015, I bought my own Nikon D3200 camera and a second hand hp laptop. I started meager jobs. I was earning small cash here and there. To be a top photographer tho, I needed equipments; a good Speedlite, good zoom and prime lenses, not my ordinary 18-55mm kit lens, soft boxes, and so on. And these would cost money. Money I didn't have. My camera and laptop were the only thing I could afford then.

Few months later, I started regreting my decision of leaving school. I would see my former coursemates in town and they'd ask questions on why I left, but I really couldn't provide any tangible reason for leaving. One even showed me some of my first semester grades and I was almost in tears 'cause I did very well. I was almost getting depressed late 2015. 2016 came and it started just as dull. But just before the closing date for Jamb registration was due, I bought a form. Same course (Medical Laboratory Science), same university. This time around, I would do everything low key without asking for anyone's assistance. I wrote jamb and got a score of 259. I checked on jamb portal when admission status began to be checked and lo and behold, I was admitted. I called my mom and even though she was happy for me, she told me, she wasn't gonna sponsor my admission this time. I was heartbroken but I can't blame her to be very honest. But then, we started hearing news that our admission would be cancelled because of accreditation issues. In fact, our names weren't included in the school's admission portal. School started and still, no news. But I was convinced God was giving me a second chance, so I started attending lectures even though we didn't know our fate. Two weeks before exams, our accreditation issues were resolved and our names finally appeared on the school's portal. Medical lab sci, biochem, and slt had this problem. So two weeks was added for us to receive short additional lectures, while others were writing exams. That was how my second chance began.

I'm presently in 300 level. Today, my former coursemates would be inducted as MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTISTS. I couldn't sleep at all. I would not go to the induction as I may not be able to control the tears. I SHOULD HAVE BEEN AMONG THE INDUCTING STUDENTS, BUT I THREW IT ALL AWAY. The most painful words anyone can utter in life are, "HAD I KNOWN". Don't make costly mistakes that would make you say these words!!!
Life continues bro,the koko is hope you have learnt something useful in ur 3 years, a good skill because no be everybody when graduate they see job..but having a degree is a plus sha....
Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by diehard1: 8:06am On Jun 21, 2019
You don't have any issues. Good you learnt from your mistake. Next time look before you leap. Money is not everything.

3 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Jman06(m): 8:07am On Jun 21, 2019
Education remains one of the surest ways to be successful in life, especially if you're studying a good course with clearly cut career path. People should learn to choose the right courses and not just study any "jumpology" only to come out and join the "school na scam" gang. I know how education has helped my family!

Only a few people make it on the streets without education, so don't let anybody deceive you!

@op, thank your stars you were able to gain admission again into medlab. By the time you graduate you can decide to go into private practice if you like being your own boss.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 21, 2019
I'm inspired.

3 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Shezkid: 8:09am On Jun 21, 2019
overcomer90:
OP u never know wetin u don achieve

- u have grown in courage.
- u have learnt how to bounce back.
- u have gotten a glimpse of the outside world through during ur hustle
- u now have a strong mind
These are the things that's makes up a mentally strong person that can tackle life situations even after u graduate
U are way far ahead than u former course level mates forget the academic side.

Wise words.....

3 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Nobody: 8:10am On Jun 21, 2019
My takeaway from this story is simple....

Please, get a good paper qualificaiton first, before going into business, or modelling, or whatever your passion is.

Because, no one knows tomorrow. Tomorrow, that your dream business could collapse. That your modelling career could fall down in flames, and that your passion may not put food on the table. When that happens, AT LEAST you would have something to fall back on las las.

Yes, university can be boring, and yes, 'education na scam'...but the truth is, it gives you a paper qualificaiton and some knowledge that can be VERY USEFUL.....in the future.

So, get your degree. University is only 3-4 years. Life is much longer.

16 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by bigAG(m): 8:10am On Jun 21, 2019
You're a strong man. More grace to u bruh

1 Like

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by ShenTeh(m): 8:13am On Jun 21, 2019
2010, I just walked away from my postgraduate studies. 9 years after, I am back doing a work on one of my 2010 course mates.

If you are here and planning of dumping any developmental path, please 'rough am', e go soon be.

Wehdone op.

8 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Sonnobax15(m): 8:13am On Jun 21, 2019
I have made similar mistakes tho..but i'm considerinq offerinq a per-time course next year...i bouqht jamb earlier this year but up till now i haven't seen my result....op,your are couraqeous and thats 1 qood attribute of a "REAL MAN"

1 Like

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by femi4: 8:14am On Jun 21, 2019
ITbomb:
After school you can still pursue your photography passion as a hobby and second line of income
Exactly, was about adding that

1 Like

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by ityP(m): 8:16am On Jun 21, 2019
tojahh:
Well this sounds in a shades right. No time is late to retrace and start all over, imagine some of your erstwhile classmates must have dropped, dead, sick, relocated hence they're not graduating as at when due. So cheer up.. Nothing do you my brother.

Meanwhile I'm curious since your mum is not sponsoring your education, and you said you have no money to buy the equipments needed for your photography skills, how are you financing yourself through school?

I don't have money to buy equipments to boost my photography. But I still use the camera to hustle small jobs when I'm free. Small small, I dey manage pay fees. Thankfully,no be private university, so I pay during second semester.

8 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Streetdreamx(m): 8:16am On Jun 21, 2019
Don't ever think about your past, always think about your present and future because when you do it affects your present and future. That time wasn't yours or probably God wanted to shade you off from something.

5 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by repogirl(f): 8:19am On Jun 21, 2019
ityP:

Thank you for this.

3 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by ityP(m): 8:19am On Jun 21, 2019
adewest1999:
Seriously this post has changed the way I view life.....op thanks for sharing but guy you gats dey happy ehn.... no first position for this life opo... laslas everybody go dey alright

I'm happy for second chance o.

4 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by ityP(m): 8:20am On Jun 21, 2019
repogirl:

Thank you for this.

I'm glad it touched someone.

1 Like

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by DUBES(m): 8:22am On Jun 21, 2019
I’m happy U found the courage and strength to go back and correct ur mistakes. U see most times we think of education will help us get better jobs but that’s not actually true. Education is part of what U need to be a fully shaped individual as it will broaden ur horizon about life and existence. If we think of it as what we need to get a job and it’s not forthcoming or people we knw who are educated don’t have good jobs to show for it then we may get discouraged and that’s where most people get it wrong. I’m so proud of U and pray God will see U thru U will also graduate very soon and be successful to make ur story very interesting and peculiar

12 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 21, 2019
ityP:

two weeks before exams. Pls which school is that again? grin shocked
Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by ityP(m): 8:23am On Jun 21, 2019
Streetdreamx:
Don't ever think about your past, always think about your present and future because when you do it affects your present and future. That time wasn't yours or probably God wanted to shade you off from something.

Sometimes, it's good to check the rearview mirror. The problem is FOCUSING on the rearview mirror. I definitely wouldn't focus on my past

8 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by ityP(m): 8:23am On Jun 21, 2019
razy75:
two weeks before exams. Pls which school is that again? grin shocked

UniJos 2016/2017 session... It was a miraculous something

6 Likes

Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by ityP(m): 8:24am On Jun 21, 2019
DUBES:
I’m happy U found the courage and strength to go back and correct ur mistakes. U see most times we think of dictation will help us get better jobs but that’s not actually true. Education is part of what U need to be a fully shape individual as it will broaden ur horizon about life and existence. If we think of it as what we need to get a job and it’s not forthcoming or people we knw who are educated don’t have good jobs to show for it then we may get discouraged and that’s where most people get it wrong. I’m so proud of U and pray God will see U thru U will also graduate very soon and be successful to make ur story very interesting and peculiar

Amen
Re: How I Almost Ruined My Life Academically!!! by Biggcake: 8:25am On Jun 21, 2019
ityP:

I was considering this o. My attire is neatly ironed inside my wardrobe. I'm still apprehensive about going tho. And I can't really call many of them friends. Many started looking down on me or shunning me outrightly. I don't blame them, I guess it's a thing of "Bad energy, stay far away". Just one or two who still chat with and encourage me.

Please don't attend.

Keep lowkey as you said earlier.

If you got there you will be psychologically broken.

Stay safe brother.

Good luck.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Yabatech Director Omoighe Dies Of COVID-19; Hostels Shut Down / 3 Ghanaian Students Sweep WAEC International Excellence Awards / Has Anyone Ever Left The University A Virgin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.