Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,429 members, 7,815,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed (48689 Views)

Nigeria Listed For Possible War Crimes By International Criminal Court (ICC) / Nurses Bemoan Rising Suicide Rate Among Students; Advice Authorities And The You / Suicide Rate By Country 2019, Nigeria Is Among (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by Mizwisdom(f): 4:32pm On Jun 27, 2019
It seems some people are angry Nigeria is not on top of the list ko? may you commit suicide to increase the numbers anumanu

The OP even edited the list because Nigeria is far below Canada, India and Cameroon on the list. Poster you need brain resetting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by maasoap(m): 4:34pm On Jun 27, 2019
Wesporting:
Most of the country on that list is either heartbreak.

Nigeria is hunger, oppression, poverty, lack of jobs and so on.

The OP is an APC member

Most of the suicide stories we're reading in Nigeria are mostly associated with heartbreak, academic failure and financial problems.
Mizwisdom:
It seems some people are angry Nigeria is not on top of the list ko? may you commit suicide to increase the numbers anumanu

Like the one I quoted above

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 4:43pm On Jun 27, 2019
SMBH:

Thanks 4 this. I still find it hard to believe that more people die of suicide than of all wars and human violence combined

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by snradewale(m): 4:47pm On Jun 27, 2019
Tolexander:
The fact is that many suicide cases in Nigeria aren’t reported, the reason while we have low number of cases recorded for us.

Even say nah bad thing you still want nigeria to b number one

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 4:49pm On Jun 27, 2019
Livefreeordieha:
100% I concur.. The bone of contention was and still what instigates such thoughts to opt for a permanent solution to a temporary problem..

Total hopelessness - the person can see no possible way out of the extremely dark bottomless pit except death
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 4:53pm On Jun 27, 2019
kemicalreaction:
Nonsense

Where is India on the list

The list is edited. Click on the link to see the entire list.
Here is India:

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 4:58pm On Jun 27, 2019
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 5:13pm On Jun 27, 2019
sulasa07:

How come there are no Arab Country in the list, I beta port to Muslim country?

The list is edited. Click the link to see the full list

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 5:17pm On Jun 27, 2019
Livefreeordieha:
100% I concur.. The bone of contention was and still what instigates such thoughts to opt for a permanent solution to a temporary problem..

Because the problem seems permanent - utter hopelessness, no possible way out.
Let m ask: if one were surrounded by Boko Haram who would torture one then kill him. What's best for him?
Same thing.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by Livefreeordieha(m): 5:23pm On Jun 27, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Because the problem seems permanent - utter hopelessness, no possible way out.
Let m ask: if one were surrounded by Boko Haram who would torture one then kill him. What's best for him?
Same thing.
https://www.thesun.ie/news/4258979/man-bear-alive-attack-den-russia/

Please read that... And tell me what u think u would have done..
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 5:24pm On Jun 27, 2019
SEGLIZ:
................ it is only a coward and pessimist would take his or her own life.
it's a pity it is happening but they realize they cause the world more pains than they are trying to escape.

Ok, if u were surrounded by Boko Haram who would torture you then kill you. What would you do?
Same thing. They see no possible way out yet death can end all the torture
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by ACE1010: 5:32pm On Jun 27, 2019
Chai number 1 is a stunner

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 5:33pm On Jun 27, 2019
Livefreeordieha:
lol. Be deceiving urselves... The countries u are talking about suicide are committed because of trivial issues like emotions, failed relationships, bullying etc.. In Nigeria poverty and depression is the major cause... Don't sugarcoat ur sufferings please..

You are the one deceiving yourself. Suicide is caused by extreme hopelessness, seeing no possible way out of a dark bottomless pit of extreme sadness. Nigerians rarely have that. Suicide is not caused by struggle
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 5:39pm On Jun 27, 2019
Donpeak:
Thank you! I am sure Nigeria will make the top 3 to 5 if an accurate representation is made.Too many gullible folks in this contraption called Nigeria.

Actually not true. Suicide is not caused by struggle. Suicide is caused by extreme hopelessness, seeing no possible way out of a dark bottomless pit of extreme sadness. Nigerians rarely have that.

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 5:44pm On Jun 27, 2019
bluefilm:
So dem don dey measure suicide rate too abi?

These oyibo people sef

Na wa for dem o.

Very soon dem fit begin give international award for country wey go commit suicide pass.

My only happiness be say nothing on this Earth can make me to commit suicide, no matter what.

If worst comes to worst, I will just shoot myself in the head.

I think it's better that way than committing suicide.

Or don't you think so? wink

I thought about it for a long time then suddenly I realised you have a point - shoot yourself in the head without getting killed - what could be more exciting!
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 5:51pm On Jun 27, 2019
NOHOLDSBAR:

And every suicide is reported in the other countries? Even the US should be at the top with the number of suicide attempts that I witness at the hospitals on daily basis. Stop trying to out Nigeria down and use your brain sometimes.

What they don't realise is that suicide is not caused by struggle. Suicide is caused by extreme hopelessness and Nigerians rarely have that.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 5:53pm On Jun 27, 2019
Livefreeordieha:
plausible.. I won't have agreed until he chose to use some suspicious words.. Lol

Like what words. I don't do parties. I supported Atiku because of Obi
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 5:59pm On Jun 27, 2019
Heineken:
the main reason for suicide is lack of job and frustration bro. When you don't have a job, perplexity comes in and person go reason stupid things.

But most Nigerians don't wait for jobs - they create their own jobs. Most these countries people wait for jobs and if they don't get it - suicide!
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:02pm On Jun 27, 2019
nnadychuks:
Why will someone from Canada want to commit suicide when Nigerians are leaving their country to Canada?

Not only that, their rate is HIGHER than Naija
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:05pm On Jun 27, 2019
faceland:

Have you ever in you life seen a obituary that said cause of death is sucide? It is still a shameful thing. It is leaked photos that makes it to the internet against the families wish. Death is so bad that people do not think clearly for a while so a neighbor might just take a photo and post online.

That is everywhere not just Naija. Suicide is caused by hopelessness. Nigerians are rarely hopeless
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:09pm On Jun 27, 2019
Angelfrost:
You should be asking why Nigeria is the highest in Africa when we were tagged the happiest people in the world as far back as 2014...

...And the fact that more men are committing suicide in those European countries is greater incentive or inducement for guys to migrate there due to increased availability of unattached needy women that may guarantee citizenship, and financial security. It's a no-brainer.

Maybe the men commit suicide because of the type of women. Same may happen to to you. Did you think of that?
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:13pm On Jun 27, 2019
Gkemz:
This is not accurate without India, the number one country known for suicide.

India is there. Click on the link
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:15pm On Jun 27, 2019
Ferdinandu:
Obviously the the more developed countries have higher suicide rate. This is because obviously it is the disconnect between development and the real value of life. There is a better sense of community living in less developed area than the developed. It is not material possession that make people want to continue living, it is the people who loves you and you love them, that is a fact. All the wealth in the world will be dust in your mouth if you feel all alone in the world. But contrary if you don't have anything but you have people all around you who laugh with you, cry with you, quarrel and make up with you every day yet you don't have any material possession, you will always have a reason to live and be happy.

One of the most sensible posts so far
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:19pm On Jun 27, 2019
Eberex:
where is INDIA?

That list is edited. Click on the link for the full list
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by Angelfrost(m): 6:22pm On Jun 27, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Maybe the men commit suicide because of the type of women. Same may happen to to you. Did you think of that?

Nah... Any Nigerian man that didn't succumb to suicide in this shithole, will survive anything out there.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:23pm On Jun 27, 2019
ObinnaObinna:
The disparity in suicide rates between genders is seriously alarming. Why is this so? More social pressure on men? If that's the case, why is it different in Nigeria even with all the pressure on men to provide for his woman, his family and "catch up" with his mates?

And even more pertinent - what's causing the recent spike in the rate of suicide in young people?

I strongly believe the media (especially social media and blogs) has something to do with this.

You see a young person commit suicide. Social media people begin to make arguments about it. Calling the person stupid, insulting the person with different headlines. Basically making the topic of suicide to trend. So it means suicide is in everybody's mind.

The next person suffers a severe heartbreak or loses someone dear. They get depressed. The topic of suicide already in their mind, the chance of attempting suicide is higher.

This is just my opinion. By the way, I'm a student of Mass Communication and I have basic knowledge of the theory of Agenda Setting and Hyperdermic Needle. Check it out.

What exactly is "mass communication". There are many majors that can be considered part of mass communication. So it is too broad

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by Kokaine(m): 6:24pm On Jun 27, 2019
Why is male higher in all countries though
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:26pm On Jun 27, 2019
Odinaka00:
And South Africa nor dey there? This list is nonsense

The list is edited. SA is on the complete list. Click the link
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:27pm On Jun 27, 2019
Unrated900:
Americans will never attempt to kill themselves

When they have good economy

Good jobs

Stable health sector and welfare

A life in America is 200 lives in Nigeria

Lifeless must go.

Americans kill themselves far, far more than Nigerians
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:28pm On Jun 27, 2019
Realdeals:
The rate is in relation to the country population.

Not true. It is per 100,000. Click the link
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:30pm On Jun 27, 2019
semyman:
Total national population of individual country is not factored into this

Yes it is. This is per 100,000. CLICK THE LINK
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:33pm On Jun 27, 2019
LANDLORD72:
I did not see India on the list why? Because I believe they should occupy the N0 1 spot

The list is edited. Click the link

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Charles Chinedu Ezeh: Lekki Mansion Sealed Drug Baron Smashed With N567m Drugs / Yahoo Boy Arrested Attempting To Use His Girlfriend For Ritual Money (video) / Dead Bodies Found In The Foundation Of A Building In Enugu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.