Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed (48700 Views)

Nigeria Listed For Possible War Crimes By International Criminal Court (ICC) / Nurses Bemoan Rising Suicide Rate Among Students; Advice Authorities And The You / Suicide Rate By Country 2019, Nigeria Is Among (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by AngelicBeing: 6:34pm On Jun 27, 2019
anonimi:

Exactly................just by saying it.
You are too smart. undecided
Talk is cheap...............you better get up and work for your country's progress.

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by AngelicBeing: 6:36pm On Jun 27, 2019
anonimi:

is the government ever different from the people who own it (the government)

Hmmmm grin

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:48pm On Jun 27, 2019
Squillaci:

Yes, our existence is all by chance. Any of my ancestors procreating with a different partner would have led to different generations of possible offsprings, my father and me not existing.
I could easily not have existed, and no one would have noticed.
The fact my existence is just one of endless possible outcomes shows that there is no individual/particular purpose to my existence.
There is no gain in continued suffering only to absorbed into the void of nonexistence when we die. Why not die now and save oneself from 100- years of existence?

Deep, intelligent, but VERY PESSIMISTIC. This is not the Christian way
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2019
SEGLIZ:

neither is there profit in the termination of life.
the existence of man goes beyond the book, it is not a mere philosophical talk.
man is wired beyond suicide like I earlier said only a coward will choose suicide for a transitional exit.

Depends. How about if you are surrounded by Boko Haram who would torture you too death??
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 6:57pm On Jun 27, 2019
Angelfrost:

Nah... Any Nigerian man that didn't succumb to suicide in this shithole, will survive anything out there.

Many Nigerians who take their wives to US kill their wives. Why? When some woman connives to take your kids and all you worked for - some men choose to kill themselves than kill her
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by CanadaOrBust: 7:13pm On Jun 27, 2019
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by shevchenko(m): 7:24pm On Jun 27, 2019
mmsen:

That isn't my interpretation of the data. Nigeria's female suicide rate isn't that high when compared to a lot of places.

Oh you didnt notice how womens rate in nigeria is closer to men compared to other countries

In other countries it is in the ration of 100:1 or50:1

Nigeria it is 1:1

Nigeria women are really suffering

It is disguisting that you failed to notice this in the data
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jun 27, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Deep, intelligent, but VERY PESSIMISTIC. This is not the Christian way
Not a christian bro.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by Basher8583: 9:37pm On Jun 27, 2019
Tolexander:
The fact is that many suicide cases in Nigeria aren’t reported, the reason while we have low number of cases recorded for us.
And what makes you think same does not affect the other countries mentioned.

Infact India and China should be top on the list

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 9:44pm On Jun 27, 2019
Squillaci:

Not a christian bro.

How am I not surprised
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by CEOwatazs: 9:44pm On Jun 27, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Have u ever been to Botswana nor Burundi?
I've been to Burundi - talk about paradise!

u might have just visited der lekki, v.i, banana island, asokoro etc. even in Nigeria, placed lik dt no get issues.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by Basher8583: 9:45pm On Jun 27, 2019
oluwaahmed:
Only God knows the type of juju APC did that is making nigeirans commit suicide at this rate spits.

When are you comitting yours
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by SEGLIZ: 9:57pm On Jun 27, 2019
Squillaci:

You have not said why a person should continue suffering instead of simply suffering.
At least nonexistence is neither good or bad. But suffering is a negative. Nothing like Coward here. That word doesn't apply here.

what is definition of suffering?
that a girl (who don't know the meaning of love) was jilted by a boy (who also is just an explorer) only for girl to settle suicide is suffering.
a student who didn't do in his or her academics and settles for suicide is suffering. whereby we gotten a lot 3rd class and drop out turning out to change the history of human existence.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by SEGLIZ: 9:59pm On Jun 27, 2019
Basher8583:

When are you comitting yours

very good question.
God bless you bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by SEGLIZ: 10:22pm On Jun 27, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Ok, if u were surrounded by Boko Haram who would torture you then kill you. What would you do?
Same thing. They see no possible way out yet death can end all the torture

for every that has gotten enlisted same has chosen the part of battle, the part to battle and way out of battle.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 11:31pm On Jun 27, 2019
Livefreeordieha:
https://www.thesun.ie/news/4258979/man-bear-alive-attack-den-russia/

Please read that... And tell me what u think u would have done..

What a story! But I think there are exaggerations. No one survives one month without food and water.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by nnadychuks(m): 11:37pm On Jun 27, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Not only that, their rate is HIGHER than Naija
just imagine this life
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 12:30am On Jun 28, 2019
SEGLIZ:

what is definition of suffering?
that a girl (who don't know the meaning of love) was jilted by a boy (who also is just an explorer) only for girl to settle suicide is suffering.
a student who didn't do in his or her academics and settles for suicide is suffering. whereby we gotten a lot 3rd class and drop out turning out to change the history of human existence.

Maybe he is talking of people who are truly physically suffering - eg constant pain of a terminal illness or a condition of constant humiliation. But even then, doesn't justify suicide
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by ObinnaObinna(m): 12:34am On Jun 28, 2019
PoliteActivist:

What exactly is "mass communication". There are many majors that can be considered part of mass communication. So it is too broad

Actually, the full name of my course is Mass Communication and Digital Media.

But I'd prefer we focus on the questions I asked rather than the discipline I study, please.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 11:32am On Jun 28, 2019
ObinnaObinna:

Actually, the full name of my course is Mass Communication and Digital Media.

But I'd prefer we focus on the questions I asked rather than the discipline I study, please.

Your wrte-up is indeed very erudite, intelligent, and insightful. I didn't pay close attention because I had so many other mentions to reply.
I think your observation that social media contributes a lot to increasing suicide rate is very correct.
As for why male and female rates are equal in Nigera, I think it is because Nigerian women really have it tough.
From rampant child-girl abuse to get-married pressures to expectations of sacrificing themselves into wifehood and motherhood.
BTW how did a smart guy like u end up in Mass Communication? (smile)
What is theory of hyperdermic needle?
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 11:47am On Jun 28, 2019
Angelfrost:
You should be asking why Nigeria is the highest in Africa when we were tagged the happiest people in the world as far back as 2014...

...And the fact that more men are committing suicide in those European countries is greater incentive or inducement for guys to migrate there due to increased availability of unattached needy women that may guarantee citizenship, and financial security. It's a no-brainer.

Nigeria is not highest in Africa. The list is edited. See below

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 11:50am On Jun 28, 2019
Johnnyoungster:
See my country number eleven on the list

The list is edited. Click link for complete list
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 12:06pm On Jun 28, 2019
Soul47:
Does that mean more people commit suicide in Nigeria than in the US?

I don't think so.

Not at all. The rate in US was 15 in 2017
See below

By the numbers: An alarming rise in suicide
Suicide rates in the United States.
Have increased substantially over the past two decades

By Lea Winerman

January 2019, Vol 50, No. 1

by the numbers:

30%
The increase in the rate of death by suicide in the United States between 2000 and 2016, from 10.4 to 13.5 per 100,000 people, according to a National Center for Health Statistics analysis of data from the National Vital Statistics System. The rate increased by about 1 percent per year from 2000 through 2006 and by about 2 percent per year from 2006 through 2016.

50%
The increase in suicides among girls and women between 2000 and 2016, from 4 to 6 per 100,000.

21%
The increase in suicides among boys and men between 2000 and 2016, from 17.7 to 21.4 per 100,000.

Suicide was the 10th-leading cause of death in the United States in 2016. It was the second-leading cause of death among people ages 10 to 34 and the fourth-leading cause among people ages 35 to 54.

Source: Hedegaard, H., et al. (2018). Suicide rates in the United States continue to increase. NCHS Data Brief No. 309. National Center for Health Statistics.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 12:10pm On Jun 28, 2019
Livefreeordieha:
plausible.. I won't have agreed until he chose to use some suspicious words.. Lol

Like...
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 12:11pm On Jun 28, 2019
Standard007:

Male rate is higher in all the countries, we men are suffering alot

Yeah, but apparently not in Nigeria
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 12:17pm On Jun 28, 2019
NOHOLDSBAR:

And every suicide is reported in the other countries? Even the US should be at the top with the number of suicide attempts that I witness at the hospitals on daily basis. Stop trying to out Nigeria down and use your brain sometimes.

US suicide rate was 14 in 2017

The US suicide rate is up 33% since 1999, research says
By Jacqueline Howard, CNN
Updated 7:34 AM EDT, Fri June 21, 2019

(CNN) The suicide rate in the United States continues to climb, with a rate in 2017 that was 33% higher than in 1999, new research finds.

Suicide rates among people 15 to 64 increased significantly during that period, rising from 10.5 per 100,000 people in 1999 to 14 in 2017.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 12:22pm On Jun 28, 2019
mmsen:

Nigeria's is only a little bit higher, as opposed to double or triple the women's rate in most countries.

Men are expected to carry the burden of a lot of life's nonsense. I wonder why in the midst of the all the talk of sexism and gender inequality there has been no real interest in uncovering why male suicide rates are so much higher and how to bring them down to the same rate as women's...

They should study the Nigerian model and find out why men and women rates are equal in Nigeria - as it should be

1 Like

Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 12:34pm On Jun 28, 2019
faceland:

Just US veterans (ex military personnel) kill themselves at a rate of 22 DAILY. Nigeria can't catch up with that yet.

No mind them (see below). Though I don't believe that 22 daily statistics. Where did u see it?

4 Officer Suicides in 3 Weeks: N.Y.P.D. Struggles to Dispel Mental Health Stigma

A cluster of police suicides has prompted leaders to plead with troubled officers to seek help. But resistance is strong.

The New York Times
By Ashley Southall
June 27, 2019

First, there was the deputy chief facing mandatory retirement as his 63rd birthday approached. The next day, it was a veteran homicide detective who had talked dozens of people out of killing themselves.

A week later, it was a young patrolman handling domestic violence cases and going through a divorce. Then on Wednesday, a veteran officer was found dead at his home on Long Island.

All four officers took their own lives this month with their service pistols, highlighting an uncomfortable reality: More police officers commit suicide every year in New York City than are killed in the line of duty, and the department’s efforts to persuade despondent officers to seek counseling have had only limited success.
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 12:36pm On Jun 28, 2019
helphelp:
So people dey commit suicide pass us for Canada ...hmmm

Of course. The place is cold and people too mind their own business - they don't have our social supports
Re: Suicide Rate By Country 2019: Nigeria Listed by PoliteActivist: 12:42pm On Jun 28, 2019
Squillaci:

So because one was mistakenly brought to this earth, one should remain here no matter what until one's eventual death? Like a prison sentence, huh?

The short answer to your question is: YES

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Parents Of Madonna Students Brutalised By Dean, CSO Sue Varsity For N1bn (PIC) / Retired Policeman Assassinated! Pregnant Daughter-In-Law Go Into Coma (Graphic) / 2 Men Caught With Human Head In Oyo State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.