Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,620 members, 7,816,552 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor (22673 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by goalernestman: 10:23am On Aug 19, 2019
MetaPhysical:
If you notice from top first paragraph said "Dutch visitor, Olfert Dapper".

That copy and paste is from a Edo website.

Here is authentic source about Dapper.

Was it Dapper that said below South Nigeria was bight of Benin and not Oyo was Dapper also the Guinness book of record then that rank Benin walls as the greatest man made work in the world then.

Bro please don't be bias in the ancient world they where almost 500,000 people that travel Africa west Africa and all of them mentioned the kingdom of Benin as the kingdom in South Nigeria and never mentioned Yoruba.

OK also let forget white man European I will give you home work to go research all black man that was taken in west Africa and go see the kingdoms they also mentioned.
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by goalernestman: 10:32am On Aug 19, 2019
gregyboy:

I find you amusing ...and intelligent but at thesame time youre not smart... You read wide but alongside dogmatism and bigotry ....i will never step in shoes of ethnocentrism just to save the edo history you should get that fact..
You post links of so many write up full of prejudice and lots of error then you claim you're smart or you won me in an argument...ha ..
Just so you know keep posting those links and i will keep reviewing and get vital information from them to explain possibilities since our ancestors never wrote in words....

Discard that crap of ewaure inventing beads in benin i can tell you so many folktales of ewaure in benin he was the greateat king so much of folklore is expected from him which some are lies ....
The issue am having with you is when a source of info suit you ...you paste the links to counter me discard other sources of links ...you aegued egnrevba works was original against the edo site that claims otherwise but here you are pisting thesame edo site you say is not correct

Am probably looking for all possibilities oduduwa is benin

One thing about oduduwa and Benin is. Please think about this yoursef.

Why will a Benin chifs travel all down from Benin to ife to beg ododuwa for a ruler without him conquering Benin, I even heard that ododuwa drove them away and they have to come beg another time before he could agree to give them his son
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 10:45am On Aug 19, 2019
gregyboy:

Give the links to that site and a foreign reference to that

What link?

What site?

What foreign?

What reference?

What particularly is your comment here related to?

Are you sure I haven't knocked some sense out of your head while the beating was going on?

But if in the end I find out that you're a ret@rd, I won't forgive you. cheesy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 11:21am On Aug 19, 2019
gregyboy:

....you keep posting nonsense you simply posted egharevbas works of fiction again egharevbas made those mere assumption posted there i just keep telling you all the time egharevbas works has been disproved even by foreign authors example from the statement above. You wont just learn my friend

Here is a screenshot from edonet stating otherwise of those statemen you mentioned even some European author disproved those claims

Who was the ooni at 12c since we knew the oba of benin then lets start from there i searched the net for it there is no date attached to the ooni until recently because they didn't document thier history ...benin has a burial site in the palace for all past oba so they can easily get documentation from each site alongside each oba ancestoral strine which info can be made available if needed so why would i agree with that writeup above we can even draw assertion to the claims on the side of the yorubas .
What a pity for a population upto thier 50million and did nothing to document thier history

I can see I have obviously knocked some sense out of your head while the flogging was ongoing, because none of the references I cited here has the name of Chief J. U. Egharevba.

And even if I ever make reference to the works of Chief Egharevba, yes he is the most authoritative indigenous Bini historian the world has ever seen till date.

Name me one indigenous Bini historian who is more authoritative than Egharevba, and cite me the "European" scholar who said Egharevba's accounts of Benin history is fictional. Lie-lie Bini boy cheesy

And regarding your reference to certain Bini "edonet" website: I am glad that you clearly stated that your "edonet" stated "otherwise".

In other words, world renowned incontrovertible sources (such as The British Museum, Margaret Plass, or William Fagg) trace the origin of Bini bronze/brass casting to Ife in the 13th century; but your overzealous random Bini "edonet" website got it wrong here altogether.

Just to add something more to your skull: The name of the chief bronze caster sent from Ife to civilize the Binis into the art of bronze casting is Igueigha. And guess what, he is still being worshipped as a god in Benin kingdom till date at its shrine in Chief Ine's place.

If you truly live in Benin, then go now to Bronze Casters street to inquire (about this god whom they still worship till date) from the appropriate elders there.

If inferiority complex has not gripped and drenched them too, then they will definitely confirm my submission that he first came to Bini as an emissary from Ife to civilize the Binis into the art and craft of bronze casting. cheesy

Take note of the following very important point:

The contents of your Bini "edonet" or "edoworld" websites are accurate only to the extent that it agrees with world renowned expert, academic, and scholarly submissions, such as the British Museum, William Fagg, Margaret Plass, et al.

Every other comment you made beyond this point are your usual distractive incoherent disjointed ins@nely idi0tic rants.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by MetaPhysical: 11:51pm On Aug 19, 2019
TAO, im your follower. grin

2 Likes

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by MetaPhysical: 12:01am On Aug 20, 2019
goalernestman:

Was it Dapper that said below South Nigeria was bight of Benin and not Oyo was Dapper also the Guinness book of record then that rank Benin walls as the greatest man made work in the world then.

Bro please don't be bias in the ancient world they where almost 500,000 people that travel Africa west Africa and all of them mentioned the kingdom of Benin as the kingdom in South Nigeria and never mentioned Yoruba.

OK also let forget white man European I will give you home work to go research all black man that was taken in west Africa and go see the kingdoms they also mentioned.

Go and siddon in corner and suck pacifier!

What became Bini stories were founded by fables told by men who lived thousands of miles away and never knew where the Bini was. They heard tell tales from sailors and repeated the storiws....most embellished to great degrees. It should be called blogs. Today bloggers in California can talk about what you are doing in Benin without ever visiting you.

We need account from writers who viaited Benin. Those writers witnessed the truth first hand and everyone of them without exception said your first and second dynasties were donated from Ife....in addition to your arts and cults.

You have no indigeneous cult or art except what Ife taught to you. We civilized you!

You must share with us how you covered your body when Yoruba discovered you in the forest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 12:17am On Aug 20, 2019
MetaPhysical:

What became Bini stories were founded by fables told by men who lived thousands of miles away and never knew where the Bini was. They heard tell tales from sailors and repeated the storiws....most embellished to great degrees. It should be called blogs. Today bloggers in California can talk about what you are doing in Benin without ever visiting you.

We need account from writers who viaited Benin. Those writers witnessed the truth first hand and everyone of them without exception said your first and second dynasties were donated from Ife....in addition to your arts and cults.

You have no indigeneous cult or art except what Ife taught to you. We civilized you!

You must share with us how you covered your body when Yoruba discovered you in the forest.

Hahaha! You ripped him apart. cheesy cheesy

Bro, take it easy on him. Lol!

Remember that it's not quite fair that a Yoruba dynasty rules over them in the real world, and Yoruba Nairalanders are also ripping them apart online. cheesy cheesy

Me I'm just teaching them lessons, like the meaning of the word "century", etc. cheesy cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 12:19am On Aug 20, 2019
MetaPhysical:
TAO, im your follower. grin

Lol. I followed back immediately. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by gregyboy(m): 12:56am On Aug 21, 2019
TAO11:

Your personal word-of-mouth has zero weight in discussions like this. The earlier you realize this, the better for you.

You're so dull not to have realized that I've already countered your claim that a certain ceremonial sword dates to the Ogiso era.

I countered the statement when I wrote the following words: "although without any dating evidence"

In other words, your statement in that regard was a mere claim that is without any evidence, proof, or reason.

To now properly refute the statement (even though it wasn't substantiated), consider the following expert testimony of Margaret Plass an expert on the History of Ife/Benin Art. She wrote:

"... the early Oba Oguola --- supposed to have reigned about A.D. 1280 --- applied to his spiritual Overlord, the Ooni of Ife,  for the services of a bronze founder to teach his people to make the memorial bronzes formerly imported from Ife, that they might be made in Benin."

---- Refer to: Margaret Plass, The Art of Benin: An Evaluation Based on Discussions with William Fagg.

Moreover, since you apparently trust YouTube videos so much (perhaps regardless of whether the content is from an expert source), then consider the following British Museum documentary (an expert source) which makes it very clear at time stamp 47:48 to 48:09 that:

"The (Bini) people who made these majestic sculptures dating from the 16th to the 19th century were relative newcomers in the art and craft of casting metal, their oral traditions told them that they had learnt their skills from the Yoruba people of Ife about a 100 miles away to the North-West."

Similarly, consider timestamp 48:22 to 49:00 where it is also clearly sated that:

"European experts might argue about the origin of the superb technique, but to the Binis there is no mystery. Their traditions state that it was taught to them by bronze casters from the sacred city of Ife to which the kings of Benin paid homage."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQY_Jd--pwI&t=2070s

I hope your doubts are gradually being cleared. cheesy

#StopFightingReality

Cheers!

When you decide to waste my mb and my time

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by davidnazee: 1:39am On Aug 21, 2019
MetaPhysical:

You Yorubas keep saying Yorubas founded this, Yorubas started that, Yorubas invented this, Yorubas Kingdom did this..
Yet most historical discussions is about Benin, most artifacts and art works are from Benin, most historical conquests and greatness is about Benin, most historical exploits are about Benin... Even Lagos history starts with Benin.
So please tell me what did Yorubas actually do or own?

2 Likes

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by davidnazee: 1:44am On Aug 21, 2019
TAO11:

I can see I have obviously knocked some sense out of your head while the flogging was ongoing, because none of the references I cited here has the name of Chief J. U. Egharevba.

And even if I ever make reference to the works of Chief Egharevba, yes he is the most authoritative indigenous Bini historian the world has ever seen till date.

Name me one indigenous Bini historian who is more authoritative than Egharevba, and cite me the "European" scholar who said Egharevba's accounts of Benin history is fictional. Lie-lie Bini boy cheesy

And regarding your reference to certain Bini "edonet" website: I am glad that you clearly stated that your "edonet" stated "otherwise".

In other words, world renowned incontrovertible sources (such as The British Museum, Margaret Plass, or William Fagg) trace the origin of Bini bronze/brass casting to Ife in the 13th century; but your overzealous random Bini "edonet" website got it wrong here altogether.

Just to add something more to your skull: The name of the chief bronze caster sent from Ife to civilize the Binis into the art of bronze casting is Igueigha. And guess what, he is still being worshipped as a god in Benin kingdom till date at its shrine in Chief Ine's place.

If you truly live in Benin, then go now to Bronze Casters street to inquire (about this god whom they still worship till date) from the appropriate elders there.

If inferiority complex has not gripped and drenched them too, then they will definitely confirm my submission that he first came to Bini as an emissary from Ife to civilize the Binis into the art and craft of bronze casting. cheesy

The contents of your Bini "edonet" or "edoworld" websites are accurate only to the extent that it agrees with world renowned expert, academic, and scholarly submissions, such as the British Museum, William Fagg, Margaret Plass, et al.

Every other comment you made beyond this point are your usual distractive incoherent disjointed ins@nely idi0tic rants.

Do you have any stories or tales to tell about Yoruba exploits? All you discussions and posts is only about Benin.. People only discuss about great kingdoms.. Benin was Great..
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by MetaPhysical: 5:06am On Aug 21, 2019
davidnazee:

You Yorubas keep saying Yorubas founded this, Yorubas started that, Yorubas invented this, Yorubas Kingdom did this..
Yet most historical discussions is about Benin, most artifacts and art works are from Benin, most historical conquests and greatness is about Benin, most historical exploits are about Benin... Even Lagos history starts with Benin.

History by who, Olfert Dapper? Im glad he did not write about Yoruba. That would have been a catastrophy....how would we have been able to clean up his lies across the globe? Did I tell you he also wrote about China? ....and like Benin, he never visited China. The Chinese banned all books containing his journals and references on China. Yoruba would have had to do just that had Dapper written about us like he did Benin where he chronicled that your walls are washed and chalked and afterward glisten and shine like mirror. What a fable! grin grin

Lagos history starts with Benin, whose history equally started with Ife.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by nisai: 6:55am On Aug 21, 2019
TAO11:
Now I'm beginning to appreciate where the sickness of the typical Edo dogmatist Nairalander emanated from.

Just as the North Korean local media is well controlled by Kim Jong-un even to the point that the citizenry were made to believe that North Korea won the 2014 FIFA World Cup; something similar has actually been happening right under our noses in a small section of Southern Nigeria since the 1970s.

The epistles just posted above me by a certain Bini person, who is most likely an adult, makes you wonder what an adult has been made to ingest without hesitation and scrutiny, and in the face of contrary incontrovertible world-class evidence by the world's leading experts.

It all just made sense now! There is clearly some strong control by the Benin indigenous authorities on their citizens. They obviously control them on: what is to be read, what is to be said, and what is to be digested, even if world-class compelling evidence says otherwise.

I strongly suspect that (although not exactly identical to the North Korean case) the Benin similitude must have been a control induced by yet another public cursing stunt.

More like:

Any Edo man or woman who submits to an historical fact which puts Benin kingdom in its proper lower hierarchy in relation to Yoruba, shall die before 21 days.

Edo children must be willing to make up a lie to deceive both unsuspecting Binis and Yorubas just to give the false impression of Benin kingdom as the greatest. I, the "great" Oba of Benin kingdom, have spoken.

And without any questions, somebody sheepishly yells at his loudest voice:

"OBA GHATO KPERE!!!"

cheesy grin

I personally think Oranmiyan went too far in his domination. The brunt is somehow still being borne by those he conquered even after about a thousand years. embarassed
grin grin grin This is brutal grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 6:57am On Aug 21, 2019
gregyboy:

Lol! You probably haven't considered the fact that it is you who are wasting your own data and time as you insist on chasing shadows.

You do not miss the slightest opportunity to demonstrate your desperation and daftness.

With each failure you encounter in your quest you hastily cling to another failure.

You seek to establish the use of beads in Benin kingdom during the pre-Ewuare1 era (i.e. during the 1300s or earlier).

You seek to achieve this through the examples of indigenous Benin artworks which depict the use of beads, and which dates to the 1300s or earlier.

However, your attached screenshot of a Benin figure failed to achieve your desperate desired objective for the following reasons:

(1) Yes, the object is said to represent an indigenous Benin figure.

(2) Yes, the object is dated to the 1300s.

(3) But NO, it is uncertain if the object depicts the use of beads with any of its two necklaces.

This last point is the crux, and it is in fact not uncommon that early Benin artworks depict individuals adorning necklaces and body-bands other than beads, such as leopard's tooth necklaces and sometimes pieces of plain or twisted fibres (or ropes).

Examples of these other earlier forms of necklaces/body-bands (which later came to be replaced by beads in later Benin artworks) are seen in the attached screenshots below.

In sum, you have failed once again to rubish the Benin tradition which claims that it was Oba Ewuare1 (1440 to 1473) who was responsible for introducing beads' use into Benin kingdom (see: here: http://www.edofolks.com/html/pub8.htm and here: https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/topic-essays/show/4?start=1)

In fact, assuming that beads were used in Benin kingdom during the pre-Ewuare1 era (although this assumption obviously contradicts Benin traditions as shown above); it is absurd to think that such a highly prestigious and royal material as beads (whose use in early times was exclusively reserved for members of the royal family and the chiefs) would have found its way to the neck of a palace clown/messenger. Think again!

With the foregoing argument, it then becomes definitively established that the early Benin figure of a dwarf palace clown/messenger certainly was not adorning a bead necklace.

Modified:
I just noticed one of your other replies where you also attached the documents I just dealt with here as well as a Wikipedia screenshot. cheesy

Your Wikipedia screenshot mentions that the bronze/brass casting tradition started in Benin kingdom in the 13th century (i.e., in the 1200s).

It is strange how you think this statement helps you achieve your desperate and obviously false objective that the use of beads in Benin kingdom predates the Ewuare1 era.

May be you would explain how the statement helps to achieve your false goal.

However, it is important that I mention here that this same point of your Wikipedia screenshot has already been mentioned in my comments where I alluded to the historical fact that bronze/brass casting tradition was introduced into Benin kingdom from Ife during the reign of Oba Oguola (1280 -1295) --- that is, in the 13th century.

There is, therefore, nothing which you have written or posted so far which overturns, or even slightly challenges, any of the arguments I have consistently and repeatedly been submitting and defending since over a month ago.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 8:00am On Aug 21, 2019
gregyboy:

Regarding your first attached screenshot specifically, with which you also seem to want to promote the false notion that bronze/brass casting was not taught to the Binis by the Ifes (even when Bini traditions strongly insist on that when the Europeans inquired).

I like to enlighten you first that contrary to what the wordings in the body of this first attachment says, no historian of Ife and Benin Art has ever stated that the craft of casting was introduced to Benin by Ife in "the 14th century".

(i) Rather, experts of Ife and Benin Arts have stated clearly that the craft was introduced to Benin by Ife during the reign of Oba Oguola (1280 - 1295) --- that is, in the 13th century.

This foregoing is some indication that the content of this first attachment (especially this bit which tries to dispel an established historical fact which is corroborated by a strongly held body of Benin tradition) is quite dubious and unauthentic.

(ii) Another fact which establishes and confirms the dubiousness and unauthenticity of this first attachment is the fact that another copy of it exists with exactly same two embedded documents, exactly same signatories and signatures, exactly same dates, and exactly same locations. But with the crucial difference being that there is a significant difference between the main content/body of the one you've attached and the one I've attached below.

This is a clear and obvious evidence of some foul play, especially with the strange attempt to dispel the established historical fact of how the Binis were civilized into the craft of bronze/brass casting by the Ifes.

The historical fact thus remains (as has been shown earlier on the authority of The British Museum and from the words of Margaret Plass of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, and on the authority of William B. Fagg) that:

"... the early Oba Oguola --- supposed to have reigned about A.D. 1280 --- applied to his spiritual Overlord, the Ooni of Ife, for the services of a bronze founder to teach his people to make the memorial bronzes formerly imported from Ife, that they might be made in Benin."

Refer to: Margaret Plass, The Art of Benin: An Evaluation Based on Discussions with William Fagg, Deputy Keeper of Ethnography in the British Museum.

See here for the details: https://www.penn.museum/sites/expedition/the-art-of-benin/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 8:11am On Aug 21, 2019
MetaPhysical:

History by who, Olfert Dapper? Im glad he did not write about Yoruba. That would have been a catastrophy....how would we have been able to clean up his lies across the globe? Did I tell you he also wrote about China? ....and like Benin, he never visited China. The Chinese banned all books containing his journals and references on China. Yoruba would have had to do just that had Dapper written about us like he did Benin where he chronicled that your walls are washed and chalked and afterward glisten and shine like mirror. What a fable! grin grin

Lagos history starts with Benin, whose history equally started with Ife.

Bro, just to quickly add that it is even false that Lagos history starts with Benin. That's an already busted Bini propaganda.

A closer look at the historical sources and the evidence has shown that it's all a spin and twisting of the actual historical realities.

I could share the details with you. I once posted it perhaps on this same thread.

Cheers!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 8:38am On Aug 21, 2019
davidnazee:

All you did is simply do the very same thing about which you just accused others. The only difference between you and these others (i.e. the Yorubas) so far is that you didn't substantiate any of your numerous filthy false claims here with even a single shred of evidence, while the Yorubas (at least I) have consistently been doing that. Prove me wrong!

Anyways, I am not sure why you hold the view that the Yorubas should never speak up about what they "founded", "started", "invented", and "did". Can you please explain why you think they should be quiet about these great exploits?

Moreover, did you really say that "most historical discussions" are about Benin? Please mention me (with evidence) one university in the world where Edo language, culture, and civilization is being taught; and I will reply you with five of Yoruba's for every one of Edo you mention (that is if you can ever find any such university).

Regarding artefacts and artworks, it is almost an unwritten rule that superb quality beats mere quantity.

It is to this effect that experts such as the world-renowned archaeologist and historian of African Arts, Professor Frank Willett, notes that the Ife artworks are "unquestionably ... art works of FIRST IMPORTANCE".

He continues to note that these Ife artworks are "so very different from any works of negro art, and so very sophisticated in a European manner that they stood apart from the rest of African sculpture"

Refer to: Frank Willett, "Bronze and Terracotta Sculptures from Ita Yemoo, Ife", The South African Archaeological Bulletin Vol. 14, No. 56 (Dec., 1959), p. 135.

And about conquest and greatness, please mention me one indigenous nation in Africa (outside of Edo state, Nigeria) where the Edo language is being spoken.

You can not find one --- not one, yet you speak of conquest. You probably meant "concord" cheesy . Ask me this same question about the Yoruba language, I challenge you!

Lastly, Lagos history did not begin with Benin. I have already flogged your elders on this particular point before, here on Nairaland. Let me know if you'd also like to be educated in that specific regard.

After all these, do you still seek to know what the Yorubas did or own? I would tell you more. cheesy

And if you really want to find out who actually conquered who between the Yorubas and the Edos then see the attachments below with the detailed references:

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 21, 2019
@TAO11, it's like you love Benin ethnic group, their culture and history. I urge you to changed from Yoruba to Benin since Yoruba history was built on lies and full of fraud. No matter the nonsense you said here, nobody will take you seriously.
How can somebody take you seriously when you claimed your sole ancestor came from the sky in chains? That's delusions na.
Since you're obsessed with Benin, seeing our Benin history is full of facts and well documentated history so just port to Benin na
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 9:15am On Aug 21, 2019
davidnazee:

Do you have any stories or tales to tell about Yoruba exploits? All you discussions and posts is only about Benin.. People only discuss about great kingdoms.. Benin was Great..

If you take the time to check out the topic of this thread, you would find that it says: "Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians"

Now, with a topic as this, you shouldn't be mad at the Yorubas when reactions roll in from non-Bini Nigerians (e.g the Yorubas), and when such reactions trickle down to discussions about how the Yorubas are obviously greater than the Binis.

You also shouldn't be mad when the Yorubas deal with such Bini liars (like you) who attempt to distort and to re-write the part of history that somehow connects with both the Yorubas and the Binis. So, don't just get mad, produce factual evidence to back up your madness if you can find any.

Regarding greatness: Maybe Benin kingdom was great, but obviously the Yorubas were certainly greater as the evidences which I have since adduced have consistently shown very clearly.

Moreover, you asked if the Yorubas have any exploits story to tell. Many actually. I have shared some with you already. But since you are obviously passionate about wanting to learn, then open a thread on that and tag me.

But to avoid not adding anything to the Yoruba exploits story I already mentioned to you about our conquest of Benin kingdom; our conquests of some regions of other West African countries like Dahomey, Togoland, and arguably the Gold Coast; and also importantly, of our outstanding artworks which is incomparable anywhere in the whole of black Africa.

I would add palace architecture to this list:

This specific comparison was raised by one of your Bini brothers, in response to which I attached a photograph showing a sneak-peek of a Yoruba palace architecture in the year 1948.

I challenged your Benin brother to provide a photograph (not an imaginative drawing) of what the Benin palace architecture looked like around that same time. Guess what, your brother is still on the run.

You should take up the challenge. See attached.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 9:20am On Aug 21, 2019
Igbosmoker:
@TAO11, it's like you love Benin ethnic group, their culture and history. I urge you to changed from Yoruba to Benin since Yoruba history was built on lies and full of fraud. No matter the nonsense you said here, nobody will take you seriously.
How can somebody take you seriously when you claimed your sole ancestor came from the sky in chains? That's delusions na.
Since you're obsessed with Benin, seeing our Benin history is full of facts and well documentated history so just port to Benin na

No, I'm obsessed with exposing liars.

And lying to twist history has been the distinctive trademark of our Bini brethren here on Nairaland.

Moreover, I'm baffled as to how you seem to have a problem with the fact that I wouldn't allow any of their lies to go scot-free.

I have provided evidence to back up all of my arguments.

Channell this same energy of yours into engaging those evidence if truly you think you have the stamina for an intellectual exchange.

Cheers!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by nisai: 1:53pm On Aug 21, 2019
TAO11:

Even the ancestors will be proud of you. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 1:56pm On Aug 21, 2019
Igbosmoker:

I just saw the part of your comment in bold.

I like you to point out the part of my comment which mentions what you've attributed to me as my claim. cheesy

Morover, Yorubas know better than saying that the human Oduduwa literally dropped from the sky.

We Yorubas know better that the story of the descent of heavenly beings from the sky belongs to the strongly held body of Yoruba folklores which we do not conflate with our actual historical realities.

Now, may be I should ask you if you really agree with the Bini belief that the Ogisos (particularly Ogiso Igodo) truly dived into Benin city from the Sky. cheesy

Or if you truly believe the words of Erediauwa when he said that God Almighty is the biological father of the first Oba of Benin kingdom. cheesy

Do you think Erediauwa was just saying nonsense or do you think he was right that the first Oba of Benin was actually sired by God Almighty as his last born son?

Cheers!

[Let me know if you need reference.]

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by macof(m): 4:34pm On Aug 21, 2019
goalernestman:

One thing about oduduwa and Benin is. Please think about this yoursef.

Why will a Benin chifs travel all down from Benin to ife to beg ododuwa for a ruler without him conquering Benin, I even heard that ododuwa drove them away and they have to come beg another time before he could agree to give them his son

Just like the Eastern Slavs invited the Vikings to send delegates to form a stable government for them...thereby founding the Kievan Rus

Some chiefs of Igodomigo invited Ife to help set up a stable government in a time of crisis.. Thereby founding Bini.
That was why Oranmiyan was rather unconcerned and ready to leave because all that crisis in igodomigo was just not his problem. If his coming to igodomigo was on the basis of being a descendant of the ogiso, he wouldn't have left his father's throne for Ogiamien. We saw Oranmiyan return to Ife to become king there largely on the grounds that the person on the throne wasn't from the "legitimate" lineage.
So why would the same Oranmiyan who took his lineage seriously, abandoned the ogiso throne if that lineage was connected to him?

Rather Oranmiyan stayed at Usama, a very tiny area where he called himself Oba not Ogiso or Ogie. He left his palace at Usama in anger and on his way he stopped at Ego where he impregnated the princess there
If not for this unplanned pregnancy the Ọba Dynasty would not have existed at all

Fortunately for you guys, Oranmiyan's descendant Ewedo put an end to the crisis by defeating Ogiamien and coming into an agreement with him (Ekiopagha treaty)

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 4:59pm On Aug 21, 2019
macof:

Just like the Eastern Slavs invited the Vikings to send delegates to form a stable government for them...thereby founding the Kievan Rus

Some chiefs of Igodomigo invited Ife to help set up a stable government in a time of crisis.. Thereby founding Bini.
That was why Oranmiyan was rather unconcerned and ready to leave because all that crisis in igodomigo was just not his problem. If his coming to igodomigo was on the basis of being a descendant of the ogiso, he wouldn't have left his father's throne for Ogiamien. We saw Oranmiyan return to Ife to become king there largely on the grounds that the person on the throne wasn't from the "legitimate" lineage.
So why would the same Oranmiyan who took his lineage seriously, abandoned the ogiso throne if that lineage was connected to him?

Rather Oranmiyan stayed at Usama, a very tiny area where he called himself Oba not Ogiso or Ogie. He left his palace at Usama in anger and on his way he stopped at Ego where he impregnated the princess there
If not for this unplanned pregnancy the Ọba Dynasty would not have existed at all

Fortunately for you guys, Oranmiyan's descendant Ewedo put an end to the crisis by defeating Ogiamien and coming into an agreement with him (Ekiopagha treaty)

Thank you for your beautiful submission.

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 21, 2019
TAO11 I respect u for your vast knowledge in history and your diligence in proving the truth,but at times in doing that you still endulge in great falsification.

Wait do you want to say that ewaure nogidiigans conquer of more that 200 towns was as a result of influence of the yorubas

Do you now want to say that when Esigie,Ozoual, down to ovamrnwen controlled the trade of Akure,ijaw,idah(kogil) was as a result of help from the Yorubas,

Benin kingdom saw Ife as a religious ally and relative and never as a head,a single regiment of Benin would have crushed Ife to dust,it was their ties that kept them alive.
Edo conquered Lagos ,Infact go and argue with the Aleko of a Eko, I'm sure u know better than him on his own ancestry.

Or that Edo was never once the greatest Empire in Black Africa.

Infact kukuma say that the Yoruba's colonized Britain ,
Rubbish of the highest order.

And if you must reply don't come and write nonsense epistles that people hardly read,just summarize and let's read your sense OK.
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 21, 2019
macof:

Yoruba's mumu sha, how can Benin invite you people to rule over us? Isn't this the dumbest thing ever?
Odudduwa was a banished Benin prince, we took his heir back(get it into your cone heads)

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 21, 2019
These cone heads are one of the most cunny race on earth, Yoruba's was nothing before the European came. Envy go kill una last last, your lies and changing of history will only end on nairaland. The Benin history and culture is well known and documented, no amount of cone heads Fulani slaves narratives will change it

2 Likes

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 21, 2019
davidnazee:

very envious and lazy ethnic group, no wonder Igbo are buying their lands and they are wailing. Yoruba's as a people have no documented history, they were hunted and sold as slaves BH different powerful ethnic group.
Have you ever wonder how Yoruba's in Brazil and America got there? Imagine if facsts wasn't writhen on it, yorubas would have twisted it saying they founded Brazil, etc
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 21, 2019
Cone heads posting Benin artefacts and sculptures, cone head where is Yoruba's art? Oh I forgot nobody gives a Bleep.
Benin were the first educated people in western African, the first and most sophisticated political systems, they conquered lagos,akure,ekiti, etc, they founded bight of Benin (a country was named after them, they have the largest man made art, they are literary the greatest.
We have facts to back our claims while cone heads Yoruba's relies on lies. Spit
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 21, 2019
davidnazee:

is like you don't know this Yoruba, they know their history is full of other tribes dominating them. The only way for them to feel happy and proud is for them to claim the success of another ethnic group. They envious Benin and want to be like Benin
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by macof(m): 8:02pm On Aug 21, 2019
Igbosmoker:
Yoruba's mumu sha, how can Benin invite you people to rule over us? Isn't this the dumbest thing ever?
Odudduwa was a banished Benin prince, we took his heir back(get it into your cone heads)

It's not enough to claim oduduwa was a Benin prince.
Let's see evidence

And Benin can invite people for assistance in time of crisis like any country will. And that is exactly what happened

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by macof(m): 8:05pm On Aug 21, 2019
Igbosmoker:
These cone heads are one of the most cunny race on earth, Yoruba's was nothing before the European came. Envy go kill una last last, your lies and changing of history will only end on nairaland. The Benin history and culture is well known and documented, no amount of cone heads Fulani slaves narratives will change it

Show me a document before the reign of Oba Erediuwa stating Oduduwa was from Benin

The fact that Benin history is "well documented" as you say is the exact reason saying oduduwa is from Benin is such a ridiculous thing to say as there is no document that says so

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply)

Albinos / Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) / Photos From 83rd Birthday Of Gabriel Igbinedion, The Esama Of Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.