Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? - Car Talk (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? (26737 Views)

Foreign (canadian) Used 2003 Toyota Camry For Sale. / Foreign (canadian) Used 2009 Mercedes Benz B200 For Sale. / 2006 Matrix Canadian Used. 1.7m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by dannybrasky(m): 4:11pm On Aug 30, 2019
Forced alternate moniker grin

thebigkendo:

Diportivo Obekediamondfuto dannybrasky I have found my alternate moniker grin grin
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 4:13pm On Aug 30, 2019
valarinz:

At this point, its obvious you're anything but the bolded, i advise u stop typing

Yes boss, thanks.
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by obekediamondfuto(m): 4:22pm On Aug 30, 2019
thebigkendo:

Diportivo Obekediamondfuto dannybrasky I have found my alternate moniker grin grin

na wah oh....
only u and diportivo get alternative moniker.....
me nko?

the guys wey dey dish am out, make dem gimme one Na make I carry hold body.....

PS they will gimme the username and password whenever I want to login cos me I no get jotter oh

modified....
the people wey dey dash people moniker have been giving out bad monikers......

my alternate must look like Arnold Schwarzenegger or something strong oh
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by diportivo: 7:00pm On Aug 30, 2019
theres no way anybody will tell me this fresh poster is not thebigkendo

has to be is alternate

once I'm jobless I will go check his old posts

perhaps, lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by thebigkendo(m): 9:39pm On Aug 30, 2019
jamesope04:
How do you identify who is buying? You think they will scream to high heavens so you can know they are buying?

I know you are not buying sha grin grin grin

As for the scream.. It's better they scream they are buying than all the derailing going on in the thread grin
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by thebigkendo(m): 9:42pm On Aug 30, 2019
Askquestions1:
This is my alternate moniker, I dare not use my real moniker after the bashing gazzuzz got here for speaking about Canadian cars.

These are my questions, and they are not born out of jealousy or envy as I also want to buy a vehicle from this thread.

* Why not show all pictures including the underbody to the public

* If a car is rusting on the bonnet or doors where it's not exposed to road salt, is that not an indicator of more rust underbody

* Emmm cars take roughly 7weeks to arrive can the prices be more competitive bearing in mind the current availing prices of cars in the country .

* Finally do I get to pay for the inspection if I show interest or is it free of charge, and if it is free of charge back to question 1.

Thanks and I hope I will get responses from the op and not bashing from the rest of the house.

Cousin Diportivo... See me again oh grin grin grin

Brand new tear rubber moniker all the way from Quebec .. You wan try?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by jamesope04(m): 9:45pm On Aug 30, 2019
thebigkendo:

I know you are not buying grin grin grin

As for the scream.. It's better they scream they are buying than all the derailing going on in the thread grin
They are talking to Amdman behind you. They know you quite well and as a result, they won't talk in your presence

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by thebigkendo(m): 9:48pm On Aug 30, 2019
jamesope04:
They are talking to Amdman behind you. They know you quite well and as a result, they won't talk in your presence

Are you they? How do you know? grin grin
Anyways "they" should talk behind me but they should stop derailing the thread with unnecessary voltron talk... Shikenan
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:56pm On Aug 30, 2019
I think this thread has served its purpose.....
like kendo said....
p
buyers will now be specific in requesting for vehicles....
they are better informed....

just unfortunate that the credit wouldn't go to the person that deserves it.....

as for buying from the guy or not (which I believe is not the motive of this thread), nothing will change... people will still buy....

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 6:41am On Aug 31, 2019
obekediamondfuto:
like kendo said....
p

just unfortunate that the credit wouldn't go to the person that deserves it.....

as for buying from the guy or not (which I believe is not the motive of this thread), nothing will change... people will still buy....

[img]https://media./images/e4307b59845677ad8042ae3b52fdb252/tenor.gif[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by diportivo: 7:07am On Aug 31, 2019
obekediamondfuto:
like kendo said....
p

you are all demeanor

undecided
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by AutoElectNG: 7:35am On Aug 31, 2019
I know that I am late to the party ....but if we are going to avoid Canadian cars, then we might as well avoid American cars from the following States.

See image below.

For those who have images turned off, here is the list:

Connecticut,
Delaware,
Illinois,
Indiana,
Iowa,
Kansas,
Maine,
Maryland,
Massachusetts,
Michigan,
Minnesota,
Missouri,
Nebraska,
New Hampshire,
New Jersey,
New York,
North Dakota,
Ohio,
Pennsylvania,
Rhode Island,
Vermont,
Virginia,
West Virginia,
Wisconsin, and
Washington DC

And that is why absolute generalizations are a bad thing.

Now that that is out of the way.

There is more information to consider.

What kind of rust is it? Surface rust? Then go ahead and get the car. Structural rust? Then you may pause and consider. Can I afford the cost of repairs? Carfax has a nice article that differentiates between the two. I encourage you to read it up here: https://www.carfax.com/blog/inspecting-rusted-cars

I would like anyone interested in this topic to read the question asked by someone about a planned move to a Salt Belt State (Massachusetts) due to worries about the effect of rust on his car. His concern was how much time he has to plan to either repair or replace his car due to rust from the road salt? He mentioned 10 or 15 years? The answers given indicate that the rate of rust in a Salt Belt region and a non-Salt Belt region are not the same. They also indicate which components are likely to be affected by rust. What can be done to reduce or eliminate the effects of rust.

One of the commenters made the following observations that 'unibody construction, galvanization and rotisserie paint jobs' are some of the means employed by vehicle manufacturers to address problems from road salt. He added that if the owner abused the car (that is did not care to do all things necessary to stop damage from road salt) the car could still last 15 to 25 years. My understanding of that statement is that if the car is taken out of the Salt Belt and properly maintained, the car can still last those 15 to 25 years if not more, when taken out of that context.

You may check out the entire discussion here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/boston/1822914-drivers-how-long-can-car-last.html

This other article addresses common myths surrounding vehicular rust https://www.hotcars.com/10-things-people-mistakenly-believe-about-rust-on-cars-10-they-should/

I'll close out with a guide to deal with vehicular rust: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/car-projects/how-to-remove-rust-from-a-car

Me thinks, if are going to avoid Canadian cars, then we might as well avoid, cars from

Connecticut,
Delaware,
Illinois,
Indiana,
Iowa,
Kansas,
Maine,
Maryland,
Massachusetts,
Michigan,
Minnesota,
Missouri,
Nebraska,
New Hampshire,
New Jersey,
New York,
North Dakota,
Ohio,
Pennsylvania,
Rhode Island,
Vermont,
Virginia,
West Virginia,
Wisconsin, and
Washington DC

So enjoy your purchases of Canadian cars, if you are so decided.

Wherever or from whomever you buy a car it is the course of wisdom to conduct an inspection to determine its state before purchase.

cc: AMDMAN

19 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 7:51am On Aug 31, 2019
AutoElectNG:
I know that I am late to the party ....but if we are going to avoid Canadian cars, then we might as well avoid American cars from the following States.

See image below.

For those who have images turned off, here is the list:

Connecticut,
Delaware,
Illinois,
Indiana,
Iowa,
Kansas,
Maine,
Maryland,
Massachusetts,
Michigan,
Minnesota,
Missouri,
Nebraska,
New Hampshire,
New Jersey,
New York,
North Dakota,
Ohio,
Pennsylvania,
Rhode Island,
Vermont,
Virginia,
West Virginia,
Wisconsin, and
Washington DC

And that is why absolute generalizations are a bad thing.

Now that that is out of the way.

There is more information to consider.

What kind of rust is it? Surface rust? Then go ahead and get the car. Structural rust? Then you may pause and consider. Can I afford the cost of repairs? Carfax has a nice article that differentiates between the two. I encourage you to read it up here: https://www.carfax.com/blog/inspecting-rusted-cars

I would like anyone interested in this topic to read the question asked by someone about a planned move to a Salt Belt State (Massachusetts) due to worries about the effect of rust on his car. His concern was how much time he has to plan to either repair or replace his car due to rust from the road salt? He mentioned 10 or 15 years? The answers given indicate that the rate of rust in a Salt Belt region and a non-Salt Belt region are not the same. They also indicate which components are likely to be affected by rust. What can be done to reduce or eliminate the effects of rust.

One of the commenters made the following observations that 'unibody construction, galvanization and rotisserie paint jobs' are some of the means employed by vehicle manufacturers to address problems from road salt. He added that if the owner abused the car (that is did not care to do all things necessary to stop damage from road salt) the car could still last 15 to 25 years. My understanding of that statement is that if the car is taken out of the Salt Belt and properly maintained, the car can still last those 15 to 25 years if not more, when taken out of that context.

You may check out the entire discussion here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/boston/1822914-drivers-how-long-can-car-last.html

This other article addresses common myths surrounding vehicular rust https://www.hotcars.com/10-things-people-mistakenly-believe-about-rust-on-cars-10-they-should/

I'll close out with a guide to deal with vehicular rust: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/car-projects/how-to-remove-rust-from-a-car

Me thinks, if are going to avoid Canadian cars, then we might as well avoid, cars from

Connecticut,
Delaware,
Illinois,
Indiana,
Iowa,
Kansas,
Maine,
Maryland,
Massachusetts,
Michigan,
Minnesota,
Missouri,
Nebraska,
New Hampshire,
New Jersey,
New York,
North Dakota,
Ohio,
Pennsylvania,
Rhode Island,
Vermont,
Virginia,
West Virginia,
Wisconsin, and
Washington DC

So enjoy your purchases of Canadian cars, if you are so decided.

Wherever or from whomever you buy a car it is the course of wisdom to conduct an inspection to determine its state before purchase.

cc: AMDMAN

no insults just pure research and information shared. Excellent response very educational and to add to that free...

Question still seeking answers, why are they cheaper?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Askquestions1: 8:12am On Aug 31, 2019
Gazuzz:

no insults just pure research and information shared. Excellent response very educational and to add to that free...

Simple answers, vehicles are being bought directly from owners and not from auction .

Why are AMDMAN cars cheaper? Unlike your regular cardealer, he does not have to invest his own money or tie it down, he uses the clients money to buy vehicle and receives a commission. Fair trade off if I must say.

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by thebigkendo(m): 8:21am On Aug 31, 2019
Gazuzz:

They are not cheaper.. Well even if they are..
Demand & Supply comes to play
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by thebigkendo(m): 8:23am On Aug 31, 2019
Askquestions1:

Simple answers, vehicles are being bought directly from owners and not from auction .

Why are AMDMAN cars cheaper? Unlike your regular cardealer, he does not have to invest his own money or tie it down, he uses the clients money to buy vehicle and receives a commission. Fair trade off if I must say.

Not entirely true.. Client don't pay 100%

Balance is paid at pickup

Even if he buys from auction, demand & Supply will also make the final winning bid cheaper
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by asamwababy: 9:23am On Aug 31, 2019
I have no business with Gazzuz and Amdman but the truth is you need to shine your eyes when purchasing cars from Canada and some regions in the US.

Worst thing is to give a man a rusted vehicle, believe me its a nightmare you can only wish for your enemy.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Shalomc(f): 10:09am On Aug 31, 2019
asamwababy:
I have no business with Gazz.uz and Amdman but the truth is you need to shine your eyes when purchasing cars from Canada and some regions in the US.

Worst thing is to give a man a rusted vehicle, believe me its a nightmare you can only wish for your enemy.

Well I believe you. But when a car sales thread is booming and Google mechanic keeps creating threads to undermine the business there or to create doubts in the minds of prospective buyers...then we need to take a second look. A good alternative should have been to ask amdman how he tackles rust issues with Canadian cars.... That would have been truly appreciated by all and sundry....

Not all Canadian cars are afflicted with rust.

Same as US cars....not all of them are rust free!!

Why pick on Canadian cars..

First it was Invictus fraud making cars cheap.... Amdman's cars are not extremely expensive.... That was countered by well meaning Nairalanders .... Next is this...he kukuma came home very well directly mentioning Canadian cars.... Does Canadian cars have the sole proprietorship and ownership of rusts?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Emmah123: 11:17am On Aug 31, 2019
Gazuzz:

They are not cheaper. Adman explained how he is able to provide relatively good price for vehicles from Canada. If Canadian vehicles are cheaper as you claim, Nigerians would have flooded there to import cars, rust or no rust. Nigerians would import cars that are cheaper and salvage whatever problems they have if those cars are cheaper as you are saying it.

However, like I earlier replied to one of your posts, your title is a question "why are Canadian cars cheaper", then you made several posts in an attempt to provide the answer. With those several posts of yours trying to convince readers that those cars are cheap because they are rusted, I dont think you need to ask the person you quoted again that why are Canadian cars are cheap

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:36am On Aug 31, 2019
interesting
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by dicksonadams(m): 11:46am On Aug 31, 2019
Based on my chat with dru23 some place in America use salt on their road based on the ice cold condition

Also I think people that bought the car are happy, deepwater, their many others... So far no complaints.

Great

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:12pm On Aug 31, 2019
dicksonadams:
Based on my chat with dru23 some place in America use salt on their road based on the ice cold condition

Also I think people that bought the car are happy, deepwater, their many others... So far no complaints.

Great

Agreed
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by ojeysky(m): 6:10pm On Sep 01, 2019
Gazuzz:
kindly share your experience if you have ever owned a car imported from canada

I got a car from USA auctions, it was accident free and clean bodywise with no rust whatsoever, car got to Nigeria and it still looked clean bodywise but when I looked under it had some rust!

The reality is that I don't think it's about country but rather maintenance culture of car owner.

The only option is to do physical inspection and that is usually not possible with remote based auctions however there is someone based on Canada who does physical inspection, I think his moniker is Amdman

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by LeJeun3: 9:13pm On Sep 01, 2019
grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by radautoworks: 1:30pm On Sep 02, 2019
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by adeeva06(f): 5:50pm On Sep 02, 2019
They aren't that bad at all.

I have imported more than 10 vehicles from Canada and were very good.

Gazuzz:

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by adeeva06(f): 7:46pm On Sep 02, 2019
Brother, I was just about to type and I saw your post.

Absolutely disgusting. Why such drama?

valarinz:

How convenient, the timing of this your landing.

And its obvious you're either playing out a script or trolling cos you omitted details of where the car "landed" from.

How nice and handy of you to also go underneath and take all those detailed pics showing the rusts.

Pls, if you wan act drama, then kindly endeavour to act it properly. This one u dey do so now no just make sense at all

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by gobuchinny: 8:40pm On Sep 02, 2019
Gazuzz:

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by gobuchinny: 8:12pm On Sep 03, 2019
Gazuzz:
u
i have had my fair share of experience with rusted cars. Wanted to purchase a tundra for my business so i opted for a clean nigerian used manual drive with v6 engine grin. the owner was doing shakara for me as the v6 is rare then being a manual. I just vex say make i buy tokunbo. Made the calls and deceided to purchase from cotonou to save cost(i dont advise anyone to do this either grin)

Went ot cotonou with my Kazeem (mehn their car market large shocked) finally found what i was looking for and was happy as i beleived i was getting it at a good deal. my kazeem check every every and gave me the green light. he was even happy say catalyst still dey there. i saw the truck and raised some issues bout the rust but he assured me no lele. wnated to get a report from carguide but it was so late in the evening i was tired and just bought blindly based on the mechanics word. Received the vehicle and was happy.

Took vehicle to gazzuz make em service. when he saw the truck he was happy but when he went under shocked shocked, he was shocked and brought my attention to the mega rust at the frame near the passenger side. mehn shocked shocked shocked shocked the rust was so bad if i had continued driving like dat the truck will just probably break apart in time. i was disappointed in myself and esp my mechanic. wetin i won do now. but thank God gazzuz brought it back to life. even to change the suspension sef na war cool

Now im enjoying the truck and keep wondering if i hadnt taken it to gazzuz, if that same mech was servicing it, what would have happened? thank God though the car has a clean title but only say canada and rust be like 5 and 6.

Some say gazzuz is overrated but i say gazzuz izza doctor of automobile. he treats every car like a patient grin and not a machine. like the car speaks to him and he understands their pains.

Hope someone learns from this experience

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by SortOut: 10:05pm On Sep 11, 2019
Gazuzz:

Import from British Columbia and forget about rust. Meanwhile Canadian Dollar is different from US Dollar.
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by thebigkendo(m): 2:27pm On Sep 13, 2019
gobuchinny:

u
i have had my fair share of experience with rusted cars. Wanted to purchase a tundra for my business so i opted for a clean nigerian used manual drive with v6 engine grin. the owner was doing shakara for me as the v6 is rare then being a manual. I just vex say make i buy tokunbo. Made the calls and deceided to purchase from cotonou to save cost(i dont advise anyone to do this either grin)

Went ot cotonou with my Kazeem (mehn their car market large shocked) finally found what i was looking for and was happy as i beleived i was getting it at a good deal. my kazeem check every every and gave me the green light. he was even happy say catalyst still dey there. i saw the truck and raised some issues bout the rust but he assured me no lele. wnated to get a report from carguide but it was so late in the evening i was tired and just bought blindly based on the mechanics word. Received the vehicle and was happy.

Took vehicle to gazzuz make em service. when he saw the truck he was happy but when he went under shocked shocked, he was shocked and brought my attention to the mega rust at the frame near the passenger side. mehn shocked shocked shocked shocked the rust was so bad if i had continued driving like dat the truck will just probably break apart in time. i was disappointed in myself and esp my mechanic. wetin i won do now. but thank God gazzuz brought it back to life. even to change the suspension sef na war cool

Now im enjoying the truck and keep wondering if i hadnt taken it to gazzuz, if that same mech was servicing it, what would have happened? thank God though the car has a clean title but only say canada and rust be like 5 and 6.

Some say gazzuz is overrated but i say gazzuz izza doctor of automobile. he treats every car like a patient grin and not a machine. like the car speaks to him and he understands their pains.

Hope someone learns from this experience

This wan just came to praise Gazzuzz tongue tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Do You Prefer Some Old Models Cars To Their Successors? / My Toyota Corolla's Brain Box Has Been Stolen! / Automatic Vs Manual My Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.