Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? - Car Talk (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? (26755 Views)

Foreign (canadian) Used 2003 Toyota Camry For Sale. / Foreign (canadian) Used 2009 Mercedes Benz B200 For Sale. / 2006 Matrix Canadian Used. 1.7m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 7:39am On Aug 30, 2019
If you already own a rusted car this video will help show how best to tackle frame rust.

Surface Rust – Rust that starts from paint scratches or cracks. This type of rust can be easily fixed by using a grinding wheel or sandpaper. Buff out paint and corrosion until the bright metal appears, then apply coat primer, paint, and clear coat respectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uKJLE6dwRQ
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 7:46am On Aug 30, 2019

Rust is an iron oxide, a usually red oxide formed by the redox reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. Several forms of rust are distinguishable both visually and by spectroscopy, and form under different circumstances.[1] Rust consists of hydrated iron(III) oxides Fe2O3·nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3).

Given sufficient time, oxygen, and water, any iron mass will eventually convert entirely to rust and disintegrate. Surface rust is flaky and friable, and it provides no protection to the underlying iron, unlike the formation of patina on copper surfaces. Rusting is the common term for corrosion of iron and its alloys, such as steel. Many other metals undergo similar corrosion, but the resulting oxides are not commonly called rust.[2]

Other forms of rust exist, like the result of reactions between iron and chloride in an environment deprived of oxygen. Rebar used in underwater concrete pillars, which generates green rust, is an example. Although rusting is generally a negative aspect of iron, a particular form of rusting, known as "stable rust," causes the object to have a thin coating of rust over the top, and if kept in low relative humidity, makes the "stable" layer protective to the iron below, but not to the extent of other oxides, such as aluminum.[3]

Wikipedia

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 7:50am On Aug 30, 2019

Coating and Painting – Coating the surface of a metal object with a layer of either Paint or Varnish will break the contact between the surface and atmospheric oxygen making it consequently immune to rusting.

as shown in picture below

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:24am On Aug 30, 2019
Gazuzz:

as shown in picture below

so in this picture now, if say.... we prime the whole underneath.... will that solve the situation?
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by jidobaba(m): 8:33am On Aug 30, 2019
Once that surface scratches you're back to square one.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 9:19am On Aug 30, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

so in this picture now, if say.... we prime the whole underneath.... will that solve the situation?

the video explains better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uKJLE6dwRQ

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by crossfire47(m): 2:08pm On Aug 30, 2019
[quote author=9icetoo post=81714469]If you think the timing was a bit off, that's your perception.
If you want to view the thread objectively and contribute rationally, that would be more than welcome.
Having said this, I will share three experiences.

1. Toyota corolla 03.
Car was bought by younger brother years ago in Lagos.
At this point, none of us had any experience buying tokunbo cars. He paid for the cheapest he could afford. It was getting rather late so he couldn't do proper inspections. The mechanic he went with tested the engine and gears and both checked out.
Test drive was okay as car performed well. He paid and drove the corolla down to the east.
The first signs of problem was she. He stopped at Benin to refuel. His vehicle couldn't take more than 25 liters as fuel was leaking from the tank.
He managed car home.
Second sign was when we tried to swap the iron rims for alloys. Bros, na war to remove those wheel nuts. It was even more challenging to change out the brake pads and lining. What was supposed to be a 4 hour job turned to a 2 days job.
The truth surfaced when we went to fix the leaking fuel tank.
The panel beater told us plainly that the entire bottom would need to be repanned and it was going to take a lon while.
After exploring his options, bros decided to drive the car like that afterall 25 liters is more than enough fuel for a corolla.
Now here is where it got interesting. On a trip to cross river, he entered a pot hole and the rear axle pulled off from the bottom of the car, threw the car into a spin. The car stayed on the road and there was no accident as there was no car coming in front or behind him. Could have been worse. This was in the middle of nowhere and a bit late. He roughed the night out in the car as no one agreed to stop to help him.
The next day a bike man helped him call a tow truck and towed him back home. Car spent two weeks at the panel beaters and painters. The entire bottom was repanned and coated with tar.
Because the car was towed with the rear up an the front on the ground, his transmission went bust and he spent a good chunk of money sourcing another. Car never remained the same again.
Six months later in the village, same rear axle nearly tore off again in awka. This time it was spotted early. Another round of welding and plating saved the day. Couple of days later the welded spot started tearing up again. This time around, a thicker plate (checkered plate 6mm) was used to replate the affected sections and a decision was made there and then to sell the car. Car was sold at half the value it was bought (only because its a corolla) just two years after it was purchased.
A lot could have gone wrong in that accident.
A vin check while sourcing for the gear revealed car was shipped from Canada. (No wonder it was cheap).

2nd experience is my own car. Bought from Massachusetts. Car is rusted but not too badly.
I've applied coatings to prolong the life of the chassis but I know its on borrowed time but its not as bad as the corolla above. The corolla was a rust bucket.
I only realised why the car was cheaper than is usually gotten after I took delivery.

3rd experience was a Mazda cx-9 I helped someone who liked the deal with my car. At this point I didn't know Massachusetts was amongst the region in us that salted their roads. I also got a old deal for him.
So when both cars came in and I saw the rust, I did a bit of checking and realised why they were cheap.

It will be easier to replace a faulty engine or transmission than to repair rusted out chassis (if it doesn't break on you somewhere on a lonely highway)

I've also seen some Canadian cars without rust. Some had very little rust.
Its all relative so before you buy a car from areas or regions that salt their roads, check thoroughly for rust.

My 2 cents.

Your experience is very informative and educating... I never knew about the bolded, don't want to derail the thread by asking for further explanation, thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by OfficialSam(m): 2:58pm On Aug 30, 2019
Following
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:20pm On Aug 30, 2019
Just landed

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:21pm On Aug 30, 2019
I only decided to check Oga gazzuzz claim...

I tried look at the bottom, I fear...

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:22pm On Aug 30, 2019
Welders still working on it

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:23pm On Aug 30, 2019

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:23pm On Aug 30, 2019
Am not a dealer but am learning everyday

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:26pm On Aug 30, 2019
Who will learn will learn..

Fine motor

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:28pm On Aug 30, 2019

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Mayor555(m): 3:30pm On Aug 30, 2019
Another fire brewing

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:35pm On Aug 30, 2019
Hmm

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by dannybrasky(m): 3:36pm On Aug 30, 2019
lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:37pm On Aug 30, 2019
Sakamanje

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by dannybrasky(m): 3:38pm On Aug 30, 2019
Where was car imported from?? Didn't u do pre-purchase inspection??

hapheeyxz:
Who will learn will learn..

Fine motor

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by radautoworks: 3:40pm On Aug 30, 2019
dannybrasky:

Make I mechonu dey look before Dem talk so na advert I wan do SMH

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by valarinz: 3:45pm On Aug 30, 2019
hapheeyxz:
Just landed

How convenient, the timing of this your landing.

And its obvious you're either playing out a script or trolling cos you omitted details of where the car "landed" from.

How nice and handy of you to also go underneath and take all those detailed pics showing the rusts.

Pls, if you wan act drama, then kindly endeavour to act it properly. This one u dey do so now no just make sense at all

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by dannybrasky(m): 3:46pm On Aug 30, 2019
Advert or no advert,your market na like pure water,u no need marketing,people must buy grin

radautoworks:

Make I mechonu dey look before Dem talk so na advert I wan do SMH

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by obekediamondfuto(m): 3:47pm On Aug 30, 2019
following keenly
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:53pm On Aug 30, 2019
dannybrasky:

Not mine sir, was there when they brought it in for the welders to work on it..

My point is that, not everyone knows this, we learn everyday.
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 3:56pm On Aug 30, 2019
valarinz:

How convenient, the timing of this your landing.

And its obvious you're either playing out a script or trolling cos you omitted details of where the car "landed" from.

How nice and handy of you to also go underneath and take all those detailed pics showing the rusts.

Pls, if you wan act drama, then kindly endeavour to act it properly. This one u dey do so now no just make sense at all

Was only trying to let know that this thing called rust issue from Canada is real and am not trying to troll at all... I decided to do this coz of the war on ground...

And if not from Canada, I won't post.

The car is not mine, I was at the workshop where the owner brought it in for repair sir
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by dannybrasky(m): 4:00pm On Aug 30, 2019
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by dannybrasky(m): 4:01pm On Aug 30, 2019
hapheeyxz:

Not mine sir, was there when they brought it in for the welders to work on it..

My point is that, not everyone knows this, we learn everyday.
learning process.
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by hapheeyxz: 4:01pm On Aug 30, 2019
thebigkendo:

You are a wise man grin grin
One thing people don't understand:
For Gazzuzz, As a IPOB member, Money is the ultimate goal/motive and the Customers Wise ones are the ultimate winner in the squibble..

Once Upon a time, VIN/Full disclosure issue came up on nairaland.. Everybody involved was termed hater, Pull him down, Jobless E-Rats.. Some Swedish citizens even had whatsapp meetings on the matter grin grin
- People like me and a few wises ones learnt what type of "accidented" cars to avoid
- Vin tampering is real and how to identify a tampered vin
- How to dig out Pre-purchase Auction Photos and some other important information about car business in Nigeria, making us better at inspecting toks and also using pre-purchase accident pictures/Auction selling price to negotiate and get better deals.

Then also, any car with flooded title, was termed a scrap and Junk by all, Then suddenly our chief Google mechanic brought a flooded corolla to sell & explained to us how flooded cars get levels and claimed his own flooded corolla was not a scrap/Junk(we knew the ultimate motive was to sell the car)
-While some were busy laying curses on him for "Hypocrisy".. Some of us, the wise ones learnt about types of flooding, salt water and fresh water flooding.."water line", How not all flooded cars are "scrap"

Then Aunty Radu came around..Engine Rebuild vs replace war happened grin grin
-From the Rad/Gaz war, the wise ones also acquired knowledge on when to rebuild, What to consider and when to replace.
-Aunty Radu got must need publicity too(Free of charge) grin grin

Nissan and Ford cars are unreliable especially Naija used until their was a Naija used Nissan to sell grin grin
- The wise ones learn that some Nissan were reliable after all grin grin

Hybrid vehicles nko? Forbidden Money pit grin Till oga started repairing & Selling them..
- Wise ones also noted, Hybrids are not death sentence after all grin grin

Now to the issue on ground
-The wise ones are learning that Canadian cars are cheaper(I don't agree)..I prefer to say Amdman's canadian cars are cheaper
-The wise ones are also learning that not all cars in Canada are rust buckets
-After doing 1+2, Wise ones knows they can get cheap cars(with or without rust) from Amdman
-Amdman is getting plenty publicity for free grin grin grin

Sometime in the future, after a toks vehicle from U.S lands with some rust ...We will have a lesson on different levels of rust, how to mitigate them and how rust is not really a death sentence..
- The wise ones will learn while the others will be laying curses & posting link to this thread grin grin grin

No one person can have any effect on price of toks cars in Nigeria or even Nairaland... Be it Gazzuzz, Amdman or Gazzuzz + Amdman together self.. The market is too big and they are too small.. When i mean too small i mean ''drop in the ocean" small..

Will this thread affect Amdman's sell? Yes, Positively(More orders, not from the voltrons sha grin), but most people will now be specific in their orders eg 2003 camry with little or no rust please grin

Personally
Will i buy a Canadian used car? Yes as long as passes my pre-purchase inspection(PPI)
Will i buy an american used car? Yes as long as it passes my PPI

Now if I am to choose between a Canadian or American car(Assuming both pass PPI)- I will pick the cheaper one grin grin

Will i Pre-order a car?
I don't think so..Well except i can't find the type or spec i want in Nigeria, I am not such a risk taker.. The 100 - 200k i might save is not worth the fear of port rats at Tincan/PTML grin grin.. I prefer the dealer to take the risk, Replace all what was stolen or bashed at the port if it happens.. I go to the stand, Do PPI, if i am satisfied, i pay for the car & drive off..

The best deal for me will be someone else buys cheap from our Canadian dealer friend, when the car lands he adds small markup ontop while i buy off him grin grin
Normal ''thief'' dealers price: 2m
Canadian dealer landing price: 1.6m
I do PPI and buy from who ever bought from the Canadian dealer: 1.8m or 1.85m grin grin

Win win, everybody is happy grin grin

As for the Voltrons, When una go order una own car from Canada? ... You guys ended up derailing Amdman thread all by self without any BCD grin grin grin

Don't just know much about this nairaland quote stuff....

I should have actually post everything under this comment.....

Aswear, I am very neutral, was just surprised.
Lobatan
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by valarinz: 4:07pm On Aug 30, 2019
hapheeyxz:

Lobatan

At this point, its obvious you're anything but the bolded, i advise u stop typing

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by thebigkendo(m): 4:09pm On Aug 30, 2019
hapheeyxz:

Lobatan

Diportivo Obekediamondfuto dannybrasky I have found my alternate moniker grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

My Toyota Corolla's Brain Box Has Been Stolen! / Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. / Samson Switchblade,World's 1st 2-Seater Flying Sports Car Goes On Sale Next Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.