Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,159 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War (38550 Views)

An Igbo Man Tells It All: How Azikwe Betrayed Awolowo / Ayo Adebanjo: Like Abacha, God Will Deliver Nigerians From Buhari / Obasanjo Betrayed Awolowo, Lied To Him – Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 29, 2019
Iamgrey5:

Those highlighted areas are contradictory, What will a regional government use the large resources for if the country already has a unified civil service system?

Mind u unifying civil service does not mean that only the central government would pay dem salaries.

The country can always pay her federal civil servants with the 30% they receive (remember that back den the Nigerian civil service was quite tiny, private sector was much more powerful) n the regions employed a good number of civil servants as well.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by nasoeb: 10:46am On Aug 29, 2019
DaddyYeeboz:

Not Yorubas' faults that you were lied to by ancestors who lack knowledge of history.

You have zero knowledge of your history and you're here talking nonsense.

Where did Igbos originate from? No igbo knows. If you mention Isreal here, I would tear you slap.
My brother, the audacity of the igbos can sometimes be sooooo annoying. They are always quick to claim that some tribes originate from igbo land. They believe once you share similar attires, culture, nomenclature then you have originated from igboland. Yet they dont even know where they originate from. But their over sabi never occurred to them that they thenselves could be the ones that originated from the closer tribes that tgey share similarities with.

1 Like

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 29, 2019
HAKYN1:

Osu, I know lying is congenital to you no problem but to clear the doubt of you and your fellow mad men, this is how Osus behave ordinarily insulting every other tribe in Nigeria whether online or offline

Yet Afonja swore an oath never ever to allow the stupid n insultive Osu tribe to leave Nigeria... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by docadams: 10:48am On Aug 29, 2019
MelesZenawi:
Actually I have seen a thread like this earlier and this was not what was said. The topic was restructured because the body of the message is clearly different from the head topic.....So I wonder where the Op lift his head topic from.

Adebanjo said it clearly that it was Akintola that betrayed them

https://www.nairaland.com/5379926/echoes-1966-some-igbos-lying

It was a betrayal by Ladoke Akintola who alleged that some of us, who were dynamic in the party (Action Group) and had a relationship with Nkrumah who had a dynamic political party in Ghana, were planning to topple Balewa government

No be even today the betrayal started, the betrayal is wayback. Is inbuilt.

It was Akintola that betrayed Awolowo and was clearly written here.

It was the insistence of Chief Awolowo to keep the Eastern Region in the federation that made Gowon fight the war because Gowon was not prepared to allow the East to go

The unity begging no be today ooooo...it been long long.
Yorubas una too like unity die ooooo (Smilling)

That is why some westerners said we should not do anything with the East because they are not reliable. The Igbo have not been fair to us at all.

I disagree with Adebanjo here. You lied.
Igbos have been fair to yorubas right from ages but the reverse is the case.
The fairness of Igbos to yorubas can never be equalled or un-paralled in anyway.
But what we get in return is the reverse.
Adebanjo you lied here.

Your insipid thinks faculty can only take you this far. Of course, you wont in anyway know why we couldn't gain Independence before 1960.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Iamgrey5(m): 10:50am On Aug 29, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Mind u unifying civil service does not mean that only the central government would pay dem salaries.

The country can always pay her federal civil servants with the 30% they receive (remember that back den the Nigerian civil service was quite tiny, private sector was much more powerful) n the regions employed a good number of civil servants as well.

@ emboldened So who were the civil service being unified by the government?

And point of correction, Government had Majority of its workers in Lagos and received tariffs from our port and 30% from regional government to support them.

Unifying the civil service meant workers working under the regional government immediately fell under the Federal government back then.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by gwafaeziokwu: 10:53am On Aug 29, 2019
@PrecisionFx is already doing a good job so no need to wade in. grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by SaintAdah: 10:53am On Aug 29, 2019
How do you want to keep the country and say a section of the country should not be President? The West has done, the South has done, the North has done several times, then you want it to go back to the West again, and you want the country to be together, and you don’t want IPOB to talk, why are we deceiving ourselves? There is no honesty in it; there is no principle in it. Anybody who is saying power should come back to the South-West (2023) is an enemy of Nigeria’s unity. If we are sincere about keeping the country together under a federal system, it is illegal and immoral for that Constitution to exclude an important unit of the federation. It is not a question of whether you like it or not.

5 Likes

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 29, 2019
Iamgrey5:
@ emboldened So who were the civil service being unified by the government?

And point of correction, Government had Majority of its workers in Lagos and received tariffs from our port and 30% from regional government to support them.

Unifying the civil service meant workers working under the regional government immediately fell under the Federal government back then.

"So who were the civil service being unified by the government?"'

There were civil servants under the federal government n there were civil servants under the regions.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Xisnin(m): 10:59am On Aug 29, 2019
SoNature:

This is not logical.
You cannot go into war on assumptions.
Gowon can only say that Ojukwu and Awolowo planned to pull out of Nigeria if nd only if Awolowo was supporting Biafra in secret or in public.
Well, I wasn't there when it happened, but your submission is not logical

It is totally logical.
Wars are largely gambles and all wars are fought on assumptions such weak enemies, trusted ally, mutual protection, enraged opponents,
good weather, sustainable supplies etc.
None of the parties know if any of those assumptions are true before the war.

There is no way Gowon could know Awolowo's mind. Awolowo never declared for the federal government until
the start of the war. Had Gowon being stupid and followed his adviser, the civil war would have been fought in
the west not the east. The east and west would have become conditional allies.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Iamgrey5(m): 10:59am On Aug 29, 2019
PrecisionFx:

"Igbos in the North were taunting Northerners"

There were civil servants under the federal government n there were civil servants under the regions.
No not all all

The Unified civil service system only came after Aguyi remember!

And majority of the igbos in the North were business people not civil servants.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Xisnin(m): 11:00am On Aug 29, 2019
sofiscatedmoron:

ojukwu declared biafra and not war with federal government
When you read and understand our constitution,
you would realize that any declaration of secessionism is a declaration of war.

1 Like

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by SoNature(m): 11:05am On Aug 29, 2019
Xisnin:

It is totally logical.
Wars are largely gambles and all wars are fought on assumptions such weak enemies, trusted ally, mutual protection, enraged opponents,
good weather, sustainable supplies etc.
None of the parties know if any of those assumptions are true before the war.

There is no way Gowon could know Awolowo's mind. Awolowo never declared for the federal government until
the start of the war. Had Gowon being stupid and followed his adviser, the civil war would have been fought in
the west not the east. The east and west would have become conditional allies.

Are you a soldier?
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Xisnin(m): 11:07am On Aug 29, 2019
henryobinna:
the height of your dullness is alarming.
You are the dumb one as I show below

[quoute]
You apparently didn't read the interview, how can a smaller, break away nation declare war on a bigger, more funded adn organised country? does that even make a single sense to you?

Ojukwu declared independence while Gowon declared war, I don't know if it was before Awolowo go to the FG or not. Don't go about embarrassing your lineage. [/quote]

A declaration of independence is a declaration of war.
It is the law of consequence according to the Nigeria's constitution.
Nigeria's government owns Nigeria and every part of it.
Any group or individual who attempts secession are thieves who the government
is empowered to crush.
Maybe it is too hard for you to understand but that is just how it is.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Xisnin(m): 11:10am On Aug 29, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Ask ur father the meaning of this statement made by Awolowo after he came out from prison, met wit Ojukwu, returned to yoruba land and met wit the yoruba congress...

"If the east goes, the West will go""

No need.
I see that you chicken out with one liners when confronted with superior arguments.

1 Like

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by LLobiorah: 11:11am On Aug 29, 2019
Nah that restructure aspect made sense. The rest nah story for another day.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Sirblack1(m): 11:12am On Aug 29, 2019
Ayo Adebanjo just said his own side of history but forgot that it was Gowon that backed out of the Aburi Accord for reasons best known to him... Blaming Ojukwu for fighting for his people is just Malicious and part of attempts to defame his Legacy to his people.. A lot of people and so called Igbo Elites betrayed the biafran people and where celebrated by the Nigerian Govt.
NB- I still believe Ojukwu was an Arrogant and stubborn man.. and his mistrust of Many Top Igbo Leaders was 1 reason he lost the war... But saying he Betrayed Awolowo is really crazy. Awolowo should have rather Urged Gowon to stand with the Aburi Negotiations... MY HUMBLE OPINION

2 Likes

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by bejick(m): 11:15am On Aug 29, 2019
DaddyYeeboz:

And here comes a descendant of hairy chest-beating baboons.
whenever the weak sons and daughters sees guts their next line will be chest beating i don't blame them.
what will you expect from an usman Dan-fodio generational slave. Slavery runs in their DNA. grin grin grin grin
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Jonathan39: 11:16am On Aug 29, 2019
And you did not note where he said those that don't want igbo president don't wish nigeria peace? Let's see how it will end
PlayerMeji:
Points to note..

Awolowo was never part of the coup
Southwest was making more money because of cocoa
Awolowo got Ojukwu's words that there would not be war
Ojukwu renegaded on those words

1 Like

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by chinedu234(m): 11:17am On Aug 29, 2019
Who is afraid of a disintegrated Nigeria? Marriage cannot be by force. All this dogo truency tells every sane mind that this will never work. Therefore,the earlier the better.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 29, 2019
Xisnin:

No need.
I see that you chicken out with one liners when confronted with superior arguments.

Quite empty.

The sooner u find out why Awolowo said that, the better for u.

U can keep misleading urself for now

1 Like

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Ritchiee: 11:22am On Aug 29, 2019
Who introduced decree 34?

PrecisionFx:

Sorry to burst ur bubble, it's a false bubble still being paraded in Nigeria 53 years on.

From the day Aguiyi became military heads of state u too the day he died, Every region (Provinces) had access to mine their natural resources, They kept back 70% of their resources n submitted 30% to the centre.

Aguiyi introduced a merger of the Nigerian civil service n the Nigerian armed forces n police, He never touched regional government n resource control.

Gowon came into power, created states and destroyed the regions n resource control.

Lies will never last forever
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by henryobinna(m): 11:26am On Aug 29, 2019
Xisnin:

You are the dumb one as I show below

[quoute]
You apparently didn't read the interview, how can a smaller, break away nation declare war on a bigger, more funded adn organised country? does that even make a single sense to you?

Ojukwu declared independence while Gowon declared war, I don't know if it was before Awolowo go to the FG or not. Don't go about embarrassing your lineage.

A declaration of independence is a declaration of war.
It is the law of consequence according to the Nigeria's constitution.
Nigeria's government owns Nigeria and every part of it.
Any group or individual who attempts secession are thieves who the government
is empowered to crush.
Maybe it is too hard for you to understand but that is just how it is.
indeed...
I hope you didn't go to a university otherwise it's apparently a waste

1 Like

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Eastlink(m): 11:26am On Aug 29, 2019
I see truth in what Pa Ayo is saying. But why will the OP falsify the title.
The read title should be 'Akintola betrayed Awolowo. He said nothing about Ojukwu betraying Awolowo, nor Awolowo betraying Ojukwu.

2 Likes

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by bejick(m): 11:29am On Aug 29, 2019
DaddyYeeboz:

You are bloody gentiles with a doubtful ancestry and no trace of history.

Israeli scientists came to Igboland to pick DNA of Igbos to test for Jewish links and it was found that no trace of Jewish links was found in Igbo bloodlines.

It has been scientifically proven that you're not Jews. Don't come and tell us cock and bull nonsense stories here.
I hope you are not going to drink sniper like your Awo master that you worship. That how people that hate igbos will likely end.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by TheRealestGuy(m): 11:29am On Aug 29, 2019
richie240:

Lolz, just calling a spade a spade. Ipob is synonymous with Igbo's and vice versa, no need playing d ostrich. They can both be used interchangeably. There,s virtually no Igbo person that doesn't believe in Biafra, either directly or tacitly. So stop pontificating.
smiley

K.

So respond to the secone sentence.

I have some free time on my hands today.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Ritchiee: 11:29am On Aug 29, 2019
It was a betrayal to Awolowo because Ojukwu reneged on the agreement they had knowing fully well that Yorubas were the least prepared for war.

Sirblack1:
Ayo Adebanjo just said his own side of history but forgot that it was Gowon that backed out of the Aburi Accord for reasons best known to him... Blaming Ojukwu for fighting for his people is just Malicious and part of attempts to defame his Legacy to his people.. A lot of people and so called Igbo Elites betrayed the biafran people and where celebrated by the Nigerian Govt.
NB- I still believe Ojukwu was an Arrogant and stubborn man.. and his mistrust of Many Top Igbo Leaders was 1 reason he lost the war... But saying he Betrayed Awolowo is really crazy. Awolowo should have rather Urged Gowon to stand with the Aburi Negotiations... MY HUMBLE OPINION

1 Like

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Xisnin(m): 11:30am On Aug 29, 2019
henryobinna:
indeed...
I hope you didn't go to a university otherwise it's apparently a waste
It is impossible reasoning with emotional beings.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 29, 2019
Is now that both are dead you are talking. This man can lie for dead
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Alaska90(m): 11:33am On Aug 29, 2019
1954 conference

The unfortunate thing in the country is that when Awolowo, Enahoro and politicians of the First Republic were fighting on principle, we are presently using a unitary power under a federal system. We had already established federalism before independence but it was as a result of the agreement at the 1954 constitutional conference, which stemmed from the crisis in the Federal House after Enahoro’s motion. They summoned all the leaders at that time and they agreed on the 1954 Constitution whereby they made the Constitution of each region separate from the federal Constitution. It was under that Constitution that you had premiership being established. Before then, you had the McPherson Constitution that came into effect in 1952. So, when the crisis came, McPherson said ministers of the cabinet, who were normally chosen from each region that had the majority, will not take part in the self-government motion. McPherson also threatened to sack anyone who participated in it. The ministers of the Western Region said that was why they were elected by the people. We told him that we were ready to go but then-Ooni of Ife, Oba Adesoji Aderemi, told McPherson than rather than sack a Knight of the British Empire (KBE), he (Aderemi) would resign. So, the whole team from the Western Region resigned from the cabinet and that was the beginning of the crisis because there was no representation from the Western Region. It was there that then-Colonial Secretary, Santos, sent for the leaders of the various parties-Azikiwe, Sardauna, Awolowo and others. That was the origin of the Constitutional Conference.

It was at that conference that things were broken down, and then they all agreed on those terms which created premiership and autonomy. The autonomy was such that the Western Region established a foreign office in London and Chief E.M.R. Okorodudu from Warri was the first Secretary-General.

It was in that embassy, 15A Kessington Palace Garden in London, that I got married in 1960. When Awolowo exercised that pride, other regions were ridiculing him.

Then they followed suit, the Eastern Region created its embassy. We were completely autonomous, it was that system we had until the military came in 1966 and gave us this rotten Constitution that is confusing.

The question of derivation was settled, we (West) had more money through cocoa, the North had the groundnut pyramid and the East had palm oil. It was on the return of that conference that Zik said at the airport that federalism was imperative but before he left for the conference, he was unitarist.

Just look at the level of autonomy accorded to each region then....to the point that they had their own embassy abroad.

The problem and solution of Nigeria is the Constitution as clearly stated by Pa Adebanjo in this write up

Unfortunately majority here cant read or see the truth.... but the northerner elites can clearly see the truth

What a good time to be born as a Northern elite....they will continue to control and rule Nigeria for next hundred years
..Mark my words
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by FlamesD: 11:35am On Aug 29, 2019
Do you support the agitation by some people that power should shift to the South-West in 2023?

You see, that is part of the deceit of some people in this country. Whoever is saying it is deceiving himself and the people. How do you want to keep the country and say a section of the country should not be President? The West has done, the South has done, the North has done several times, then you want it to go back to the West again, and you want the country to be together, and you don’t want IPOB to talk, why are we deceiving ourselves? There is no honesty in it; there is no principle in it. Anybody who is saying power should come back to the South-West (2023) is an enemy of Nigeria’s unity. If we are sincere about keeping the country together under a federal system, it is illegal and immoral for that Constitution to exclude an important unit of the federation. It is not a question of whether you like it or not.

This is naked truth, may God bless this man for saying the truth.

1 Like

Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Maliqcious: 11:36am On Aug 29, 2019
Ojukwu didn't I repeat didn't release Awo
IamaNigerianGuy:

Someone please explain the rubbish this man is saying. Was it not Awolowo who turned betrayer after release by Ojukwu ? Was it not Awolowo who served under Gowon hoping to become president but was disappointed just like one drug dealer will be disappointed in 2023 ? Was it not Awolowo who suggested starving the Igbo civilians ?

You can't rewrite history so easily.
Re: Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War by Urchman200: 11:39am On Aug 29, 2019
PureFace1:
Ojukwu was a coward and a Traitor

Every sensible person with the knowledge of History know that

That is why some westerners said we should not do anything with the East because they are not reliable. The Igbo have not been fair to us at all. For instance, when Chief Awolowo met Ojukwu, he (Ojukwu) agreed that they were not going to wage a war. He (Awolowo) convinced him (Ojukwu) to go back to the round table and resolve the question of federalism. But no sooner than he (Ojukwu) returned to the East than he (Ojuwu) reneged on the agreement.

Ojukwu agreed with Awolowo not to go to War but the idiot went ahead with the war

after writing this nonsense, can u now start supporting the igbo people to be on their own ,so that u people can enjoy ur wonderful relationship with the north .I no wan do again ,is it difficult to understand?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Osun Is The Best Overall State In Nigeria - NADIM / "I Was Considering Which Country To Run To - President Buhari Jokes In A Meeting / Atiku Reacts Over 'killing & Secret Burial Of 1000 Nigerian Soldiers'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.