Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? (23711 Views)

Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? / 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Leonel55(m): 5:00pm On Sep 01, 2019
Dear chymes0359,

The question you have asked is a tricky one but as always, everything a Christian needs for his spiritual growth can be found in the scriptures.

Before I address the main issue of whether a "Christian" can drink, I would first address the passive issue of "who is a Christian."

The identity "Christian" refers to someone who has mindfully and wholeheartedly given his/her life to Christ, offering it as a living sacrifice, and has taken up the life of Christ as his own; Who no longer lives his life according to the dictates of his flesh but as led by the spirit of God; one who has renewed his mind through deep study of the scriptures in order to know God's will (see Rom. 12:1-2) and has committed himself to living by it.

That you were born into a family that regularly or partially goes to Church or that you, personally, are a regular attendee of a major Church and belong to a service unit does not make one a Christian: going to church does not make one a Christian just as standing in a car park does not make one a car.

Christianity is a way of life, not a Church membership or a religious identity. So when I make reference here to 'Christian,' I would be referring to the true Christian, not the mere church goer.

Now to the main issue:

If I must answer the question in the most simple form the answer would be :No, drinking alcohol is not a sin.. but that's not enough for a true Christian to commit to drinking as being harmless.

A true Christian is fully aware that the thought pattern of Christianity and that of the world do not align hence a lot of the things that the world considers "cool" is a dangerous terrain for the Christian mindset and so appearances have to be diligently studied and be seen to align with scriptures before it is accepted as a part of your life.

The major weapon of the devil is the subtle use of deception, tricks, wiles or schemes, according to various versions of the Bible (see Eph. 6:11). The devil specializes in appearances in order to get to Christian mind, that's why the scriptures advises that we flee from all appearance of evil (1 Thes 5:22)

Drinking alcohol might not be sin but it has the great potential of leading to sin, not only for you but also a fellow Christian who might be starting out his/her Christian journey.

A Christian does not only avoid sin but also anything that has the appearance of sin or that has the potential to lead to sin, no matter how much we think we can control it. He not only considers himself but also the weak brethren who, unknown to him, might be starting out and is looking up to follow your Christian life pattern; doesn't have the control that you night have, and is eventually led back into the life he/she has abandoned

The following scripture below also helps to explain:

1Cor 6:12 "everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial"

1Cor 8:9 "that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak" (see also 1Cor 10:32)

Gal 5:17 A Christian is meant to live by the spirit: alcohol, due to its intoxicating capacity and addictive nature could hinder that

Eph 4:27 speaks against 'giving the devil a foothold.'

A Christian is considered by the scriptures as being of Royal heritage (1 Pet 2:9), in order words we are Kings and Queens. A king is meant to be in control of his mental faculties at all times and can't allow for vulnerabilities that can be harnessed by the enemy (see Proverbs 31:4-7): alcohol is a threat to that.

In summary, the points I have raised are as follows:

1. Christianity is not a religious identity but a way of thinking and hence, a way of life.

2. Drinking alcohol is not a sin but it does carry the inherent capacity to lead to sin and therefore has an appearance of sin

3. The devil's main device is to gain control of the mind that is sold out to Christ: alcoholic intoxication makes his work easier

4. A Christian is of a Royal heritage and therefore needs to be in control of his mind at all times

5. A Christian is meant to live by the spirit: alcohol and the spirit stand contrary to each other.

Final take:
Moderate intake of alcohol as a beverage can be harmless and shouldn't be considered as sin. What should be avoided is what it can lead to when it goes out of hand, which often is the case, or the weak, especially a Christian brother, who might be misled by appearance to indulge beyond his/her control.

Stay blessed!
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Emmanuel226(m): 5:01pm On Sep 01, 2019
shegzmartinsduke:
read proverbs 31vs6-7
stop confusing urself bro,do u want to perish?? angry
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by BOFREJO(m): 5:02pm On Sep 01, 2019
chymes0359:

Don't know how to answer this..
I drink when I feel tipsy..
When I drink I drink responsibly..

i suggest you stop drinking and work on yourself to engage with the HolySpirit because it's very crucial so as to avert further consequences on your destiny and spiritual journey.
your engagement with HolySpirit goes along away, so that you won't be practising a religion cos service towards GOD without the HolySpirit is religion.
YOU CAN MEDITATE ON THE FOLLOWING SCRIPTURES ;
JOHN 4 : 21 - 24 and JOHN 16 : 8 - 11

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 01, 2019
Fouronetwo:

omo, checkout reasoning.r u sure u read what u typed b4 posting.Wowen and their fish brains.Na only for sex related mata most of una dey get sense.
u need a brain cell dude, so getting drunk is good, sense is far from you, na only Bleep wey ur mama Sabi na em make she born zombie like you wey she for use do period

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by shegzmartinsduke(m): 5:04pm On Sep 01, 2019
deltateam:

1 Corinthians 10:23-24

Proverbs 31:4-5

Romans 13:13

Proverbs 20:1

Ephesians 5:18
i read all the bible verses,still i did not see do not drink,i only saw do not get drunk
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 01, 2019
SenatorAiyzik:

When you say too much of "everything" isnt good you also mean too much of church going and reading the bible or worshipping God is not good too ba?
I don't know, besides I'm not even a Christian I just think getting drunk is a sin!
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by newsynews: 5:08pm On Sep 01, 2019
TVSA:

God didn't give Israelites wine in the wilderness but he told them to use their tithe money to buy it in Deuteronomy 14:26.

God told them to buy wine or strong drink. He didn't tell them to drink it. It was for what is called drink offering to God.

Numbers 28:7
And the drink offering thereof shall be the fourth part of an hin for the one lamb: in the holy place shalt thou cause the strong wine to be poured unto the LORD for a drink offering.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by shegzmartinsduke(m): 5:09pm On Sep 01, 2019
Emmanuel226:
so taking alcohol is not a sin na?,but it destroys ur internal organs,dont worry oh,continue,it is not a sin, until dem don admit u for hospital u go know,wetin u carry hand do urself angry sad
i know people dat did not drink but died of accident,some even died of sickness,so u can even die b4 the so called drunks
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by shegzmartinsduke(m): 5:13pm On Sep 01, 2019
Leonbonapart:
yeye dey worry you

Textbook reading won't help this generation

Go ask for guidance of the holy ghost
na wa o,is not there in ur bible? u are so brainwashed dat u rely on others to read and interpret 4 u
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by BOFREJO(m): 5:14pm On Sep 01, 2019
Wow, what a nice teaching @newsynews

Let us see if truly all wine mentioned in the Bible are alcoholic. Kindly read the below passage.

John 2:1-11 King James Version (KJV)
1 And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:
2 And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.
3 And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
4 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.
6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.
7 Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.
8 And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it.
9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was:Wow, what a nice teaching @newsynews

Let us see if truly all wine mentioned in the Bible are alcoholic. Kindly read the below passage.

1 And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:
3 And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
4 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.
7 Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.
8 And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it.
9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was:
Wow, what a nice teaching @newsynews

9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was:
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Arespect10: 5:16pm On Sep 01, 2019
gaskiyamagana:
Hi don't drag Islam or responsible muslims to this. No muslims argue on this, it is only Christians who always argue, argue on many sin issues.
Ok anyway thank
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by shegzmartinsduke(m): 5:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
Emmanuel226:

tnk u bro,dey wont read those passages oh,only using 1 passage of d scripture to cover their sins,i pity dem becus dey dont know wat dey are doing to their health angry,even doctors like me will,advise dem not to even see d bottle cool
a doctor that can not read and understand,did u see dont drink in any of those verses? mind u,i'm a gynob
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by benji93: 5:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
I read your comment bros, and you obviously didn't understand mine. If Alcohol makes you act irrationally, sometimes involuntarily, why would you take it? The fact that drinking Alcohol is not a sin doesn't change the fact that, alchol makes you have less self-control. Allowing it lead you astray? are you kidding me. Your argument is riddled with a lot of vagueness and indefiniteness. The general theory is that drunkeness leads you to sin by making you less capable of exercising self-restraint. You are claiming that "allowing it lead you astray and fall short of God's glory" is the sin. In as much as your statement is not untrue, atleast generally, you can only make such an argument, if you can control yourself when you consume excessive alcohol. You arguments suggests that it doesn't matter how much alcohol you take, you can still control yourself-i.e don't allow yourself to be led astray, even when you take alcohol- And i say that most people cannot control themselves when they take excessive alcohol. It's out of your hands, so there's no "letting yourself to be led astray", cos you will likely be led astray. The point being you must not trust yourself to keep your morality under the influence of alcohol. So do not consume it.The most obvious meaning of your argument, especially the sentence " but allowing it lead you astray and fall short of God's glory is the sin" means you have a choice even when you take excessive alcohol, but that's not always true. You may not be able to control what you do. Peace
SenatorAiyzik:

Then you obviously didnt read my comment to understand. I stand on the grounds that drinking alcohol isnt a sin, neither is drunkenness a sin, but going astray whilst going against the commandments of God in the name of alcohol is a SIN. The point here is the act of drinking or getting drunk is NOT a sin, but allowing it lead you astray and fall short of God's glory is the sin
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by shegzmartinsduke(m): 5:24pm On Sep 01, 2019
babtoundey:

Leviticus 10:9 New International Version (NIV)

“You and your sons are not to drink wine or
other fermented drink whenever you go into the
tent of meeting, or you will die. This is a
lasting ordinance for the generations to come,
Leviticus 10:9 in all English translations

“Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If a
man or woman wants to make a special vow,
a vow of dedication to the LORD as a Nazirite,
they must abstain from wine and other
fermented drink and must not drink vinegar
made from wine or other fermented drink. They
must not drink grape juice or eat grapes or
raisins. As long as they remain under their
Nazirite vow, they must not eat anything that
comes from the grapevine, not even the seeds
or skins

New International Version (NIV)

Luke 1:15 New International Version (NIV)
for he will be great in the sight of the Lord.
He is never to take wine or other fermented
drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit
even before he is born.
are u dumb? cant u see why those people were asked not to drink even grape juice?
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 01, 2019
1StopRudeness:

That’s the kind Christians we have today....nobody holy pass oooo.. im not claiming to better than anyone..:But the christains we have today just want sets of rules of yes or no in order to make their flesh gratifying desires sit well with their conscience..
some pple even ask if it is a sin to go to club if u won’t carry olosho...

For real @last paragraph���

Know what is good and do it
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by shegzmartinsduke(m): 5:35pm On Sep 01, 2019
maafen:

There is nothing like "Non alcoholic wine" all wines are alcoholic. Those you call non alcoholic are fruit juices.
So if Jesus turned water to wine it's alcoholic and he did it for people to drink not to be stared at or for pigs, it's for humans and he won't do that is it was a sin to drink alcohol.
my bro,u are correct,any place u see wine in the bible,it's alcohol...genesis 19vs32
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by shegzmartinsduke(m): 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2019
Emmanuel226:
stop confusing urself bro,do u want to perish?? angry
pardon me,i think u are the confused one,the bible says those perishing,not those that will perish.it simply means,those in pains
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by deltateam: 5:45pm On Sep 01, 2019
shegzmartinsduke:
i read all the bible verses,still i did not see do not drink,i only saw do not get drunk

If you wrote English in WAEC then you will know that there's something called implied meaning. Sometimes humans shut off their minds to wisdom.

It's not for kings and rulers to drink wine, what do you think it means?

Next now you tell me you are not a king or a ruler. Continue. Go and drink but you will be held responsible for how you damaged your body system.

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by akdjr(m): 6:00pm On Sep 01, 2019
Sin to me is self definitive.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nbote(m): 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2019
brainhgeek:

Ephesians 5:18 'and be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but filled with the spirit's

Proverbs 20:1 'wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging; and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise'

Proverbs 31: 4-7: ' it is not for Kings, O Lemuel, it is not for Kings to drink wine, nor for princes strong drink.
Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgement of any of the afflicted.
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts'

Ecclesiastes 10:17 'blessed art though, O land, when they king is the son of nobles, and thy princes eat in due season, for strength and nothing fr drunkenness'

Isaiah 5:22 ' woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink'

Bottom line is that people of substance should stay away from strong drink. God even commanded the Levites to stay away from strong drinks and alcohol throughout their generations

Leviticus 10:9 'Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy son's with thee, when ye go into the Tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statue for ever throughout your generations'

And it was kept throughout their generations as recorded in Jeremiah.
Jeremiah 35:6 'but they said, we will drink no wine for jonadab the son of Rechab our father commanded us, saying, Ye shall drink no wine, neither ye, nor your son's for ever'

It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Romans 14:21 KJV
Dis also means eating meat/flesh is also a sin then ryt? Becos dat verse clearly stated eating meat and drinking so why single out only drinking?
He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried. All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk. All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the Lord , he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow. All the days that he separateth himself unto the Lord he shall come at no dead body.
Numbers 6:3-6 KJV
D whole Chapter 6 of numbers is d law of Nazarites. How come U also ignored d part where no razor shall com to his head? Did U also ignore d part where his separation days ends?
And the Lord spake unto Aaron, saying, Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:
Leviticus 10:8-9 KJV
Dis was d Lord's command to Aaron and his sons who have been selected to serve in d tabernacle. It clearly states dat strong drink or wine shldnt b taking WEN THEY GO INTO D TABERNACLE...
Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine!
Isaiah 28:1 KJV
The whole of Isaiah 5, 28 and 56 have at no point condemned alcohol.. Chapter 28 specifically started by condemning drunkards. Those who allow abuse alcohol.. D same way d Bible's condemnation of gluttony doesn't make food a sin is also d same way drunkenness doesn't make alcohol intake a sin.
If a man walking in the spirit and falsehood do lie, saying, I will prophesy unto thee of wine and of strong drink; he shall even be the prophet of this people.
Micah 2:11 KJV
If a liar and deceiver comes and says, ‘I will prophesy for you plenty of wine and beer,’ that would be just the prophet for this people!
Micah 2:11 NIV
“These people want the kind of prophet who goes about full of lies and deceit and says, ‘I prophesy that wine and liquor will flow for you.’
Micah 2:11 GNB
I had to give U different bible versions so U see how U are blatantly lying against d scriptures..
For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
Titus 1:7 KJV
Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain.
Titus 1:7 NIV
A clergy shld not give in to wine meaning a clergy shld not give in to drunkenness which is d abuse of alcohol.
Samson's mother was asked not to taste alcohol becos d child she was carrying was a Nazarene which is why he was also tasked not to shave his hair. D same goes for John d Baptist... Stop misleading ppl with ur view of d scriptures...
And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
Deuteronomy 14:26 KJV
Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.
Deuteronomy 14:26 NIV
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by TVSA: 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2019
newsynews:

God told them to buy wine or strong drink. He didn't tell them to drink it. It was for what is called drink offering to God.

Numbers 28:7
And the drink offering thereof shall be the fourth part of an hin for the one lamb: in the holy place shalt thou cause the strong wine to be poured unto the LORD for a drink offering.

And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

God told them to use it to buy whatever they wanted. Whether sheep or alcohol or oxen. Whatever they "lusted" after. Nothing in the passage talked about any drink offering. The wine was for them, for their enjoyment.

Numbers 28 is talking about another thing entirely. It was about the daily offerings in the tabernacle. Deuteronomy 14 was about the yearly tithe which was celebrated at a particular location chosen by God. Don't miss the two up.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by EvangelistChuks(m): 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2019
Responsibly and Alcohol are two different mix.Why; a glass of beer at different times have different results on countenance.I was once a drink.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
chymes0359:
Good morning Nairalanders ..

Please i want to know your stance on this topic I won't bore you with long epistle write up.

Today is sunday as we all know am a christian and I want to know wether taking alcohol responsiby is a sin.
Am asking because I have this brother from my church telling that its a sin, even when I have not taking it in a way that got me to a stupor..

Waiting for you guys..
Happy Sunday..
Wikipedia
**In Ancient Greece wine had already been developed and used since Hippocrates, a physician born around 460 BC who commonly prescribed it to patients. "Vinous white wine" and "bitter white wine" were used[b 1] among his remedies – a sign of diversity in production at that time.**

*Apostle paul also told Timothy to take little wine for the stomach sake and for infirmities*
An important point to take into consideration is the fact that some wines of this mordern era have high levels of alchohol i.e to say by taking a communion cup size of some wines can be classified as excess or overdose because of the high level of alchohol in them) .
******************* If wine is prescribed for you by a physician for an illness then stick to the dosage(which is always little or moderate) .
If you are taking wine for the stomach sake (let it always be little) .
Note: PERCENTAGES OF ALCHOHOL IN SOME CERTAIN WINES IS ALREADY EXCESS TO TAKE EVEN IF IT IS A LITTLE(SUCH WINES ARE NOT PRESCRIBED BY PHYISICIANS TO THEIR PATIENTS).
ASK YOUR DOCTOR TO KNOW WHAT WINE YOU SHOULD TAKE OR WHAT QUANTITY YOU CAN TAKE.
King James Version Bible Dictionary meaning of wine
WINE, n. Gr.
1. The fermented juice of grapes as the wine of the Madeira grape the wine of Burgundy or Oporto.
2. The juice of certain fruits, prepared with sugar, spirits, &c. as currant wine gooseberry wine.
3. Intoxication.
Noah awoke from his wine. Genesis 9 .
4. Drinking.
They that tarry long at the wine. Proverbs 23 .
Corn and wine, in Scripture, are put for all kinds of necessaries for subsistence. Psalm.
Bread and wine, in the Lords supper, are symbols of the body and blood of Christ.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by godofuck231: 6:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
He who drinks does not sin
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by godofuck231: 6:21pm On Sep 01, 2019
He who drinks does not sin, if drinking is a sin then don't eat , because gluttony is a sin..

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Tpresh(f): 6:29pm On Sep 01, 2019
Lolsss, it's more like saying "is committing a sin responsibly a sin".... Why not stay away from it altogether?
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by newsynews: 6:44pm On Sep 01, 2019
TVSA:

God told them to use it to buy whatever they wanted. Whether sheep or alcohol or oxen. Whatever they "lusted" after. Nothing in the passage talked about any drink offering. The wine was for them, for their enjoyment.

Numbers 28 is talking about another thing entirely. It was about the daily offerings in the tabernacle. Deuteronomy 14 was about the yearly tithe which was celebrated at a particular location chosen by God. Don't miss the two up.

You are funny.

God told them to buy oxen, sheep, wine and strong drink. Where did he say they should eat and drink those things? He only said they should eat food, which means after those things have been sacrificed to God, a portion is given to the priest and another portion is served for everyone to eat.

But you make it seem like God said each individual should eat the oxen, sheep and drink the wine and strong drink he brought. Can one stomach contain all of that?

So clearly, the strong drink just like the sheep and oxen mentioned in Deuteronomy are offered to God.

Even in the Deuteronomy verse, notice the colon( this sign : ) which separates the sentences. This shows that the part that says they should buy sheep and oxen is different from the one that says they should eat. This means God did not say they should drink the strong drink.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by brainhgeek(m): 7:09pm On Sep 01, 2019
Nbote:

It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Romans 14:21 KJV
Dis also means eating meat/flesh is also a sin then ryt? Becos dat verse clearly stated eating meat and drinking so why single out only drinking?
He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried. All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk. All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the Lord , he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow. All the days that he separateth himself unto the Lord he shall come at no dead body.
Numbers 6:3-6 KJV
D whole Chapter 6 of numbers is d law of Nazarites. How come U also ignored d part where no razor shall com to his head? Did U also ignore d part where his separation days ends?
And the Lord spake unto Aaron, saying, Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:
Leviticus 10:8-9 KJV
Dis was d Lord's command to Aaron and his sons who have been selected to serve in d tabernacle. It clearly states dat strong drink or wine shldnt b taking WEN THEY GO INTO D TABERNACLE...
Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine!
Isaiah 28:1 KJV
The whole of Isaiah 5, 28 and 56 have at no point condemned alcohol.. Chapter 28 specifically started by condemning drunkards. Those who allow abuse alcohol.. D same way d Bible's condemnation of gluttony doesn't make food a sin is also d same way drunkenness doesn't make alcohol intake a sin.
If a man walking in the spirit and falsehood do lie, saying, I will prophesy unto thee of wine and of strong drink; he shall even be the prophet of this people.
Micah 2:11 KJV
If a liar and deceiver comes and says, ‘I will prophesy for you plenty of wine and beer,’ that would be just the prophet for this people!
Micah 2:11 NIV
“These people want the kind of prophet who goes about full of lies and deceit and says, ‘I prophesy that wine and liquor will flow for you.’
Micah 2:11 GNB
I had to give U different bible versions so U see how U are blatantly lying against d scriptures..
For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
Titus 1:7 KJV
Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain.
Titus 1:7 NIV
A clergy shld not give in to wine meaning a clergy shld not give in to drunkenness which is d abuse of alcohol.
Samson's mother was asked not to taste alcohol becos d child she was carrying was a Nazarene which is why he was also tasked not to shave his hair. D same goes for John d Baptist... Stop misleading ppl with ur view of d scriptures...
Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.
Deuteronomy 14:26 NIV

You said the Bible did not speak against drinking alcohol and I gave you verses where the Bible did. I gave you an example of the Levites too. Where did I lie against the Bible as you have accused? Are you guilty of drunkenness?
I don't condemn anyone drinking alcohol but advice against the cons of drunkenness. I can remember saying that staying away from strong drink is key and I typed that in bold.
Dont justify drunkenness with the Bible. Romans 14:21 is clear. If what you drink or eat makes your the weak fall, stay away from it!
I don't know if you drink. That is really not my headache but if you take strong drink or drink to stupor, you are at risk of addiction which is actually a sin against your health, integrity and reputation.
That is the conclusion of the matter. Shalom

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 01, 2019
Taking alcohol is never a sin. But a Christian shouldn't be seen misbehaving because of alcohol.
I remember when I went to preach to a friend and he said ' u that I saw drinking bear, what do u want to tell me? ' I felt bad and my aim was defeated.
I prefer drinking in the comfort of my home. Its better that way
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by solla22: 7:44pm On Sep 01, 2019
In as much I might agree that responsible drinking is not a sin, i wonder why in Judges 13:13-14 (you can start reading from verse 1)
The angel came to announce to Samson's parents about his birth and told them not to take any wine or fermented drink until the prophecy is fulfilled.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by shegzmartinsduke(m): 7:47pm On Sep 01, 2019
deltateam:

If you wrote English in WAEC then you will know that there's something called implied meaning. Sometimes humans shut off their minds to wisdom.

It's not for kings and rulers to drink wine, what do you think it means?

Next now you tell me you are not a king or a ruler. Continue. Go and drink but you will be held responsible for how you damaged your body system.
if u really wrote and passed waec without indulging in malpractices,u wud know that a statement made by an author has a reason.Proverbs 31vs5 explains why kings and rulers shud not drink
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by TVSA: 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2019
newsynews:

You are funny.

God told them to buy oxen, sheep, wine and strong drink. Where did he say they should eat and drink those things? He only said they should eat food, which means after those things have been sacrificed to God, a portion is given to the priest and another portion is served for everyone to eat.

But you make it seem like God said each individual should eat the oxen, sheep and drink the wine and strong drink he brought. Can one stomach contain all of that?

So clearly, the strong drink just like the sheep and oxen mentioned in Deuteronomy are offered to God.

Even in the Deuteronomy verse, notice the colon( this sign : ) which separates the sentences. This shows that the part that says they should buy sheep and oxen is different from the one that says they should eat. This means God did not say they should drink the strong drink.

It is like it is hard for you to understand a simple passage. Read from vs 22 again, slowly this time .

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 KJV
Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. [23] And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always. [24] And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee: [25] Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose: [26] And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household, [27] And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee. [28] At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: [29] And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

God told them to eat their tithe in a place where he'll choose for them. But if the place is far, they should convert it to money and use it to buy whatever they want for themselves. Then he went further to tell them to remember the levites and the poor and give them their own portion also so that they might have something to eat. In all the verses, please show me where in the above that talked about sacrificing anything to God or you're importing your own interpretation?

You also talking about colon, you obviously don't know how colons are used in sentences. Colon is used to separate two independent clauses when the second explains or illustrates the first. The second part of Deuteronomy 14:26 explains the first part. What they are to eat is what they used their money to buy.

Do you now understand?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Prayer Points That Make Christians Shout & Pray Aggressively / Pastor Paul Enenche: Compulsory Vaccination Is From The Pit Of Hell (Video) / Praise The Lord... The Lords Chosen Is 20 Years (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.