Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,700 members, 7,820,444 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? (23716 Views)

Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? / 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by bixton(m): 2:26pm On Sep 01, 2019
chymes0359:
Good morning Nairalanders ..

Please i want to know your stance on this topic I won't bore you with long epistle write up.

Today is sunday as we all know am a christian and I want to know wether taking alcohol responsiby is a sin.
Am asking because I have this brother from my church telling that its a sin, even when I have not taking it in a way that got me to a stupor..

Waiting for you guys..
Happy Sunday..

Interesting. .....
*Are you sure you are a Christian?
*Please why do you think you are a Christian?
*What qualifies you to be called a Christian?

More so, there's no such thing as drinking responsibly.
Alcohol drinking is alcohol drinking, because for some even just one shot of it will cause them to misbehave.

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Sep 01, 2019
Jewessgratitude:

I don't know why people keep asking this dumb question about alchohol..
I think what you should be asking yourself is if alchohol is good for your health. which we all know very well that its not.

Keep looking for mean to justify your dirty and unhealthy habits. Tar ta..

That’s the kind Christians we have today....nobody holy pass oooo.. im not claiming to better than anyone..:But the christains we have today just want sets of rules of yes or no in order to make their flesh gratifying desires sit well with their conscience..
some pple even ask if it is a sin to go to club if u won’t carry olosho...

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 01, 2019
Apos2kay:
Alcohol intake is good for the health, too much of it is bad

It is not advisable because of its addictive nature. One can live healthy without alchohol so its not as if its mandatory for a healthy well being.

There are other means of living healthy.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by donsufia: 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2019
deltateam:

Drunkenness is a Sin not drinking of alcohol. This means you can drink and not be drunk!

Similarly, sex is a beautiful thing you can perform but to your wife only! Out side this is promiscuity that is recorded in Romans you just quoted.

The implication is that, every thing from God to us is good if we use them according to instruction.

1 Corinthians 10:23-24

Proverbs 31:4-5

Romans 13:13

Proverbs 20:1

Ephesians 5:18
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Mrpojj(m): 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2019
CHM11:
So many great guys in the bible drank alcohol. Even Jesus too changed water to wine and was known to drink and eat with strangers and sinners. And yes, Jesus drank alcohol that's why some people accused him of being a drunk and a glutton in Mathew 11:19.

Even getting drunk and sleeping as u said is not a sin, but if it becomes addictive and takes the place of worship in your life then it is a sin as you are placing alcohol over God.

Be free from these gods of men. Most of them are empty vessels. Study the word of God yourself, read and meditate for a discerning spirit. Nothing is more beautiful than being a free true christian. It is a beautiful religion!!!.
. Na wetin u understand from that's portion of the Bible be dat?
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by DonMekino(m): 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2019
chymes0359:
t
Okay.. So once am drunk its a sin? Even if am drunk and went to sleep nko?
if you go to sleep that means u drank responsibly

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Mrpojj(m): 2:35pm On Sep 01, 2019
newsynews:

Look at this one. It's people like you I hate. You go about with false doctrine and boast as if that is exactly what the Bible teach. You are even subtly telling people to stay away from pastors. Now let's examine your claim.

Which great guys drank alcohol? Perhaps, you think the word wine means alcohol Everytime it is mentioned.

Jesus didn't drink wine, he was only falsely accused of being a drunkard. Let's see the passage clearly.

Luke 7:33-34 King James Version (KJV)
33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

John was only eating locust and wild honey, he didn't like normal food. For that, they said he had a devil. Did John have a devil? No. This means he was falsely accused.

Jesus loved normal food and drink etc eater, non-alcoholic wine, but those false accusers called him a glutton and a drunkard. According to you, because those people accused Jesus if drinking alcohol, then it means he use to drink it. Why not also believe it when they said he was a drunkard and a glutton?

Thank you for the write up
I know his type , they claim to be christians but they are against christianity
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Apos2kay(m): 2:35pm On Sep 01, 2019
I take alcohol but I'm not addictive to it, it depends on how you can train yourself
Jewessgratitude:

It is not advisable because of its addictive nature. One can live healthy without alchohol so its not as if its mandatory for a healthy well being.

There are other means of living healthy.

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by lowsugar: 2:36pm On Sep 01, 2019
Apos2kay:
I stand by what I've always said, alcohol intake isn't a sin, just that getting drunk is a sin, because the moment you get drunk, a spirit controls the body, which makes a drunkard do something he can't do on a norm.. Too much of everything is a sin
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 01, 2019
Apos2kay:
Uncle, too much destroys, even the doctors recommends alcohol, try and Google search the benefits of alcohol.. So don't say what you don't know

What are u even saying?? it’s a christain religious thread that takes guide from the Bible...
and u are saying even doctors recommend,
U even brought google into the matter..

As in... how are random doctors whose opinion isn’t even the same world wide and google an authority in this matter
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Mrpojj(m): 2:37pm On Sep 01, 2019
caracas:
Absolute no
Even the Bible tells us that our lord Jesus was a wine drinker. In those days wines were not without alcohol.
It’s not even a sin to be drunk, but its morally wrong.

How can sumtyn not a sin be morally wrong,
If it's morally wrong my guy it's a sin
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by chymes0359(m): 2:39pm On Sep 01, 2019
bixton:

Interesting. .....
*Are you sure you are a Christian?
*Please why do you think you are a Christian?
*What qualifies you to be called a Christian?

More so, there's no such thing as drinking responsibly.
Alcohol drinking is alcohol drinking, because for some even just one shot of it will cause them to misbehave.

Oga even in the advert they said Drink responsibly..
Same way as smokers are liable to die young on their packs..
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 01, 2019
babtoundey:
Well, I am here to learn and unlearn. From all the comments, it can be established that you can drink alcohol but abstain from getting drunk. Moderate drinking of alcohol is not a sin. Does that mean that one can MODERATELY involve in adultery and fornication, after all, it is too much of everything that is a sin?

Use your common sense

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Apos2kay(m): 2:45pm On Sep 01, 2019
I only responded to the previous post
1StopRudeness:

What are u even saying?? it’s a christain religious thread that takes guide from the Bible...
and u are saying even doctors recommend,
U even brought google into the matter..

As in... how are random doctors whose opinion isn’t even the same world wide and google an authority in this matter
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 01, 2019
Elobless:
God said to man in garden of Eden, eat every tree in d garden except for d fruit of knowledge and evil. Paul admonished us that what ever that will cause to sin we should avoid it, he also said that to save our brothers in faith whose faith is not strong yet we should avoid what may make them sin. that same Paul said am privilege to do many things but for Christ he gave them up. Alcohol is not bad as u want to hear, but ask ur self this question what benefit am getting in taking it? what effect does it have over me? what is d message am passing to unbeliever who is watching me?what about babies in d faith will they grow?. for d disadvantage alcohol has is far more than d benefit.

Perfect response and scripturally sound too.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by bixton(m): 2:53pm On Sep 01, 2019
chymes0359:

Oga even in the advert they said Drink responsibly..
Same way as smokers are liable to die young on their packs..

That's a marketing slogan and nothing more than that.
Do you know of any car manufacturing company that tells anyone to drive responsibly or says speeding kills, or say don't drink and drive, etc, etc, etc.........
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by naijalodge(m): 3:00pm On Sep 01, 2019
Lemme educate somebody here

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by gaskiyamagana: 3:02pm On Sep 01, 2019
Arespect10:
It's prohibited and sin according to both MUSLIMS & CHRISTIANS
Hi don't drag Islam or responsible muslims to this. No muslims argue on this, it is only Christians who always argue, argue on many sin issues.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by BOFREJO(m): 3:03pm On Sep 01, 2019
chymes0359:

Please i want to know your stance on this topic I won't bore you with long epistle write up.

Today is sunday as we all know am a christian and I want to know wether taking alcohol responsiby is a sin.
Am asking because I have this brother from my church telling that its a sin, even when I have not taking it in a way that got me to a stupor..

Waiting for you guys..
Happy Sunday..
Bro let me ask this questions ;
does Holy Spirit speaks to you?
If yes, has the Holy Spirit convicted you about this before.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by 9ty4our: 3:03pm On Sep 01, 2019
Your answer is in Mattew 11 vs 18-19.. Read and be wise.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by bixton(m): 3:06pm On Sep 01, 2019
newsynews:

Look at this one. It's people like you I hate. You go about with false doctrine and boast as if that is exactly what the Bible teach. You are even subtly telling people to stay away from pastors. Now let's examine your claim.

Which great guys drank alcohol? Perhaps, you think the word wine means alcohol Everytime it is mentioned.

Jesus didn't drink wine, he was only falsely accused of being a drunkard. Let's see the passage clearly.

33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

John was only eating locust and wild honey, he didn't like normal food. For that, they said he had a devil. Did John have a devil? No. This means he was falsely accused.

Jesus loved normal food and drink etc eater, non-alcoholic wine, but those false accusers called him a glutton and a drunkard. According to you, because those people accused Jesus if drinking alcohol, then it means he use to drink it. Why not also believe it when they said he was a drunkard and a glutton?

There's no point in trying to stress "non alcoholic " wine in the subject matter. Do not add to where the Bible did not.
You can trace from the OT till the coming of Jesus Christ. Everyone who had or owns vineyards produces wine and if you go through the passages, you will see the effect on those who drank it.

It will be nice if you say, alcohol drinking is not good or its a sin, but trying to add to that which is not written in the Holy Bible is more wrong.
If you search the scripture, you will see, the Bible made mention of wine and strong drink. Now these are 2 different categories of alcohol.

John the Baptist is an exception of a no wine drinker, because practically he lived in the desert and not among men.

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by gaskiyamagana: 3:08pm On Sep 01, 2019
naijalodge:
Lemme educate somebody here
What else to disapprove drinking of wine than this quote from Deutoromy14 :26? But Christians will not follow this just as they will never agree with polygamy as contained and practised in the Bible.

1 Like

Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Bruno3000(m): 3:09pm On Sep 01, 2019
Nbote:
There is not place in d bible alcohol or it's intake is condemned... D bible only clearly condemned drunkenness... D same way it condemned gluttony
True. Noah, the preacher of righteousness even drank to stupor after the flood, and God didn't condemn him. Our oversabi as Christians will not kill us.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by newsynews: 3:14pm On Sep 01, 2019
bixton:

There's no point in trying to stress "non alcoholic " wine in the subject matter. Do not add to where the Bible did not.
You can trace from the OT till the coming of Jesus Christ. Everyone who had or owns vineyards produces wine and if you go through the passages, you will see the effect on those who drank it.

It will be nice if you say, alcohol drinking is not good or its a sin, but trying to add to that which is not written in the Holy Bible is more wrong.
If you search the scripture, you will see, the Bible made mention of wine and strong drink. Now these are 2 different categories of alcohol.

John the Baptist is an exception of a no wine drinker, because practically he lived in the desert and not among men.

Wine in the Bible are of two types. When the Buble speaks of wine, it does. ot mean only alcoholic wine. The Bible also speaks of non-alcoholic wine which is fruit juice, exactly what Jesus gave at the wedding in Cana.

No man of God or servant of God drank the alcoholic wine. They only drank the wine called fruit juice.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by chymes0359(m): 3:15pm On Sep 01, 2019
bixton:

That's a marketing slogan and nothing more than that.
Do you know of any car manufacturing company that tells anyone to drive responsibly or says speeding kills, or say don't drink and drive, etc, etc, etc.........

Marketing slogan ??
So, you are saying they don't know its intoxicating when taking too much...
Marketing slogan just like Seun that put a Disclaimer on this site, for people that post junkies..
Okay I hear you sir..

Anyway am here to see ya opinion.
Thanks.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by blazepascal(m): 3:16pm On Sep 01, 2019
Taking alcohol is good as bad
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by SenatorAiyzik: 3:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
9jawitch:
I think it's a sin because too much of everything isn't good, besides over eating too is a sin

When you say too much of "everything" isnt good you also mean too much of church going and reading the bible or worshipping God is not good too ba?
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Mcval(m): 3:19pm On Sep 01, 2019
newsynews:

Jesus loved normal food and drink etc eater, non-alcoholic wine, but those false accusers called him a glutton and a drunkard. According to you, because those people accused Jesus if drinking alcohol,
then it means he use to drink it. Why not also believe it when they said he was a drunkard and a glutton?
Please stop confusing people the more. Alcohol intake is not a sin. The Bible only cautions us not to take too much of it in order not to get drunk and fall into sin. For the records, there is no verse in the Bible that says that when Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding the wine was non-alcoholic. No verse says it was a non-alcoholic wine. By the way who told you there was non-alcoholic wine in those days.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by chymes0359(m): 3:20pm On Sep 01, 2019
BOFREJO:

Bro let me ask this questions ;
does Holy Spirit speaks to you?
If yes, has the Holy Spirit convicted you about this before.

Don't know how to answer this..
I drink when I feel tipsy..
When I drink I drink responsibly..
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Owerri1stSon: 3:21pm On Sep 01, 2019
0KNM:
Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities - I Timothy 5-24
They have non alcoholic wine..
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by Greatzeus(m): 3:22pm On Sep 01, 2019
chymes0359:

Waiting for you guys..
Happy Sunday..
Give your life to Christ first and see if you will ever need to ask this question. Most of us are Keen on " I don't do this, I don't do that" see even if you don't drink or smoke but you have not given your life to Christ,it means nothing to God.
Re: Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? by chymes0359(m): 3:22pm On Sep 01, 2019
gaskiyamagana:
Hi don't drag Islam or responsible muslims to this. No muslims argue on this, it is only Christians who always argue, argue on many sin issues.

I wonder what you are doing here..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pastor Paul Enenche: Compulsory Vaccination Is From The Pit Of Hell (Video) / Praise The Lord... The Lords Chosen Is 20 Years (Photos) / Are Jehovah Witness People Real Christians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.