Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   (38380 Views)

I Am Determined To Fight Insecurity, Reopen Borders – Peter Obi / I Won’t Reopen Borders Now — Buhari Says In London / Border Closure: Nigeria Lists Conditions To Reopen Borders With Neighbours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by tetralogyfallot(m): 1:19pm On Sep 17, 2019
FemiMaduka:
ECOWAS can go to hell. We can not continue to shoulder the burden of the whole sub-region. For example, we are practically paying to subsidise fuel for the whole region--our fuel find their way into black markets all over the sub-region; we can't keep being the leverage for other economies in the region; we can't continue to allow arms, terrorists, bandits and economic fugitives pour into our space... Enough!
gbam!

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Nobody: 1:20pm On Sep 17, 2019
Good move... Let's build up our nation by ourselves. Thou it won't be easy at first but we will overcome a pave a way for the next generation to come

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Tenses: 1:20pm On Sep 17, 2019
orisa37:

The Alfa Belgore's kind of Sabotage can be permitted, but never allow The South to eat better Rice than those infested with stones coming from The North.

Don't be an ignorant.

There are several Nigeria rice brands with long grain rice, free of stones and debris and highly polished.

You eat foreign rice you eat plastic or rice that have stayed on the shelve for over 10 years aka toxic rice.

Mikogo Foods can supply you with high quality abakaliki rice. Long grain, stone free and polished. Even if you need 10,000 bags no qualms, at any location in Nigeria.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by romenna: 1:21pm On Sep 17, 2019
Benin should place a ban on rice importation b4 we can open the border.
They want to kill Nigeria's investment in rice production with their penchant for rice importation from Thailand!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by King44(m): 1:22pm On Sep 17, 2019
Okoroawusa:

The northern border with Niger is also closed...

This border closure dey sweet my belle o!
lol... I which they could strengthen it more, and create job opportunities for youths via farming of rice etc when we are close to self sufficiency they could ease it a lil bit, ever since the closure it seems security issues and illegal smuggling has reduced drastically but e still dey sha

we can't keep importing everything we need we import sooo they we dey import tooth pick tooth pick olorun who do us for this country sef

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by BafanaBafana: 1:23pm On Sep 17, 2019
adanny01:

Some people never see anything good about this administration but to be candid, this border closure has exposed 2 very big problems Nigeria is facing. The smuggling of rice into Nigeria and the smuggling of petrol out of Nigeria.

The rice Benin republic imports mostly end up in Nigeria while the petrol Nigeria imports is substantially smuggled out to Niger especially. This apart from the cars and a lot more.

A think Buhari needs to f.uck ECOWAS and we shall see even the violence in the North east and the proliferation of guns into Nigeria decimate.

You didn't even mention Cameroon sef. Its so easy to take petrol out to that country. I don't think the Civil defence guys that mount the check point to check petrol destination collect more than 2k from those truck drivers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Notatribalist(m): 1:25pm On Sep 17, 2019
Okoroawusa:

Am also affected but I don't care... with time I will recover
exactly
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by just4fun(m): 1:26pm On Sep 17, 2019
I must confess this is one bold thing that I support this administration for . CLOSE THOSE BORDERS!!

4 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Foodforthought: 1:26pm On Sep 17, 2019
FemiMaduka:
ECOWAS can go to hell. We can not continue to shoulder the burden of the whole sub-region. For example, we are practically paying to subsidise fuel for the whole region--our fuel find their way into black markets all over the sub-region; we can't keep being the leverage for other economies in the region; we can't continue to allow arms, terrorists, bandits and economic fugitives pour into our space... Enough!
Meanwhile a bag of rice = #22,500. Na hunger go kill una
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by doublefreez(m): 1:27pm On Sep 17, 2019
Me I Just hope that the motive of all of this is right and the idea will profit the Nation.
Any way, Let the new Economic Team if Soludo and Rewane analyse this for us to see if Nigeria is indeed right with this decision.
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by mamaafrik(m): 1:29pm On Sep 17, 2019
Can people confirm the measure in the Northern clave of the country and the south.
We never can know if Ahmed ali is looking at this thread for feedback to know how his boys are fairing.
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by madenigga(m): 1:31pm On Sep 17, 2019
SouthSouth1914:
Nigeria is a country without a blueprint!
Stop talking like a f00l

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by King44(m): 1:32pm On Sep 17, 2019
BabaIbo:

They should apply it to every border in order to be transparent.
I also heard they don't operate at the border alone, they also go to people's stores to pack their rices, he said he went to somewhere one day and saw them packing bags of rice from people's stores, over 4 trailers according to him.

It's well, make them try release fund give us and make friendly business policies make we for startup factories/companies
that is the way forward I am really glad they could go to those stores and get those smuggled rice out before they kill us with imported rice in this country

the government should ensure the supply of improved grains, probably the government should get samples of rice grains from other countries and subsidize it for us to purchase and grow cos this our local grain is not of good quality

if all these are put in place afterwards importation of rice should be made a treasonable offence against our economy and we that consume it when we have no other option we would learn to love and consume what we produce

Singapore was worse than Nig, this was the step they took and today it's another story

9 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by madenigga(m): 1:33pm On Sep 17, 2019
SniperSmurf:
Nigerias borders are porous. No need.
So since they have hitches they should open it at once to everything. Talk reasonable abeg
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by King44(m): 1:35pm On Sep 17, 2019
madenigga:

So since they have hitches they should open it at once to everything. Talk reasonable abeg
don't mind that enemy of progress
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by madenigga(m): 1:35pm On Sep 17, 2019
Duggedised12:
Protectionism is key to self preservation . Since the beginning of time ,first world countries have always put measures in place to protect its borders and local market. Some first world countries have put punitive tarrifs as high as 21% on goods to protect their citizens from the Chinese.

These countries get to tax rice and smuggle it through the borders without paying tax to the Nigerian govt, double win for them at the expense of Nigerian economy. Watch "the deceptive promise of free trade" only then will you know these people are only using Nigeria's head with this free trade nonsense they keep reciting.

The free trade doesn't benefit us. Nigeria is more of a consuming country than a producing country.

Apart from oil Nigeria does not export any tangible thing to other countries

6 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Olasty(f): 1:38pm On Sep 17, 2019
Mrjo:
My problem with the border of a thing it's the poor ma
sses will suffer it

Did you read what you just typed

You are irredeemable

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 1:38pm On Sep 17, 2019
Sunofgod:
The borders must remain closed. No more cheap fuel for neighbouring countries.

Also Boko Haram cannot be going back and forth!
Another crazy person living in lala land.
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by kheny12(m): 1:40pm On Sep 17, 2019
BafanaBafana:

Who tell you say Boko haram dey follow government border?
so na your border Dem they follow.
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by OROSUNBOLB(m): 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2019
Nigeria is surrounded by enemy states that do not wish her well. ECOWAS ko,ECOMOG ni ! Nigeria honestly needs to opt out of that useless body that has never benefited an average Nigerian in any form.

The era of big brother is over,it is now ""To your tent o ye Africans"" ! We have compromised a lot,we have given so much to the so-called African brothers even at our own detriment,yet they all hate us with passions. The truth is that economy of the whole west Africa subregion is not sustainable without Nigeria. If we close our borders for just twelve months,the whole of west African countries will experience a very serious economic meltdown. Nigeria alone sustains the economy of west Africa subregion.

Benin republic suddenly becomes the largest importer of rice in Africa ! Who are those consuming it over there ? Ghana is owing us a staggering amount of foreign exchange over electricity and crude oil supplies, yet we are their sworn enemies. The south Africans we rescued out of wicked oppressions are today killing us. Enough is enough !

Those border must remain closed for a very long time. It will come with some pains though,but the government needs to take that decision to set our country on the path of greatness once again. The government can't fold its arms while some wicked and highly parasitic west African neighbours are sabotaging our economy.

On this alone, I stand with Buhari!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Fierytruth: 1:42pm On Sep 17, 2019
FemiMaduka:

Exactly

You must expand your military and police officers hire as many strong men and women as you can. Train them well and then reopen the borders with tight security.
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by kheny12(m): 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2019
Sprumbaba:

I disagree. This is the time we should take advantage of the situation and get to work to export anything exportable to other part of Africa. I believe our Igbo brothers will take an advantage of this. Our government should be investing in small businesses but the only thing they are doing is handout called Tradermoni.
Handout called Tradermoni,Am very happy with that part.
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by BabaIbo: 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2019
King44:
that is the way forward I am really glad they could go to those stores and get those smuggled rice out before they kill us with imported rice in this country

the government should ensure the supply of improved grains, probably the government should get samples of rice grains from other countries and subsidize it for us to purchase and grow cos this our local grain is not of good quality

if all these are put in place afterwards importing of rice should be made a treasonable offence against our economy and we that consume it when we have no other option we would learn to love and consume what we produce

Singapore was worse than Nig, this was the step they took and today it's another story

It's a nice idea but can they put the necessary things in place

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Orissodiq: 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2019
Am in Sokoto state presently and got the opportunity to travel as far as Nigeria Niger border at ILLELA. The thing is affecting Niger like atomic bomb and i love it. Most of the attacks on Northern Nigeria are from their side most especially those bandits. After they attacked they will run over back to Niger because its a safe heaven for them dia
King44:
Oga presido this your move to ensure food sufficiency is the only thing you have done that has impressed me so far don't let those country mess with your plan

but come Mr president they are still smuggling rice heavily into the country via the northern border since the border over there is porous or the northern border is not part of Nig

plus I think it is the right time to give ECOWAS the middle finger our being a part of it has been taking more from us than the benefits we derive

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by King44(m): 1:44pm On Sep 17, 2019
Foodforthought:

Meanwhile a bag of rice = #22,500. Na hunger go kill una
are you expecting it to be 10 thousand before?? sure those foreign rice that find their way in should cost 10k before sure the price would sky rocket if we we can't afford it we would start paying attention to local brand of rice that are of high quality and start purchasing that is how it works

That is what a person with common sense would do and keep watching others that are not smart struggle racing with high prices of imported rice, if one could get local quality rice to consume one needs to change ones mentality

If not for the sake of I would be doing free advert I would have like to suggest some Nig brands you should give a try

7 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by sparko1(m): 1:49pm On Sep 17, 2019
Mrjo:
My problem with the border of a thing it's the poor masses will suffer it

Suffer what? You have no idea the damage done with this free trade shit, they just use us and call us shit hoe, 90% of the revenue the get throughout west Africa is from Nigeria, even that stupid Ghana that are making mouth, when we close our border for a year, we will adjust and face out problem squarely.

11 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by Nnukwueze: 1:50pm On Sep 17, 2019
The Nigerian government is just trying to frustrate Igbo businesses but Igbos will continue to prosper.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by etrange: 1:50pm On Sep 17, 2019
TheAngry1:

What is this one saying, bikonu? angry angry angry

He just wanted to use that expression. He's been dying to use it. grin
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by King44(m): 1:53pm On Sep 17, 2019
Orissodiq:
Am in Sokoto state presently and got the opportunity to travel as far as Nigeria Niger border at ILLELA. The thing is affecting Niger like atomic bomb and i love it. Most of the attacks on Northern Nigeria are from their side most especially those bandits. After they attacked they will run over back to Niger because its a safe heaven for them dia
thanks for this, do you know how long we have been asking abd complaining that the government should do something about our porous boder until now that the government sprang into action had it been they yielded there won't be issues of Fulani herdsmen this and that and if not for the huge to ensure food security still the government won't do anything but thank God they are now taking active measures

4 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by emmaada(m): 1:55pm On Sep 17, 2019
Like minds bro
suprememoney:
I pray that one day, we should achieve that which will make us great in the faces of other African countries.

I'm too eager to see this country great.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by 9gerian: 1:55pm On Sep 17, 2019
Well, until the Nigerian Government takes care of Nigerians first, and I’m afraid it won’t happen.

Most of the sabotage this country has experienced were perpetrated by leaders that were saddled with government, its policies and securing the nation. From Intl scams (P&ID’s $9.6bn), to porous borders, to herdsmen immigrants and attacks, to RUGA, to smuggling of contraband to nepotism against merit / fellow Nigerians etc etc

The result is the Nigeria that we have today where nothing makes sense, and that we all complain about.

Hardly is any policy made in favor of Nigeria and Nigerians. There’s always an ulterior motive, interest, favor etc. Let’s see how this is handled though...

suprememoney:
I pray that one day, we should achieve that which will make us great in the faces of other African countries.

I'm too eager to see this country great.
Re: ECOWAS Appeals To Nigeria To Reopen Borders   by King44(m): 1:55pm On Sep 17, 2019
BabaIbo:

It's a nice idea but can they out the necessary things in place
can they put the necessary things in place? that is another thing and another prayer point entirely, I really hope the government would

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tonye Cole Returns To School At NIPSS (Photos) / Fear Ngwa People In Abia State. / 2023 Presidency: Amaechi Arrives Ondo State (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.