Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,158 members, 7,957,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:59 AM

How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? (35563 Views)

Female Soldier, Ruth Ogunleye Arrested After Complaining About Sexual Harassment / How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? / I Lost A Colleague To An Explosion At Work In Kogi (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by PRECIOUS14482(m): 8:12pm On Sep 26, 2019
It depends on the kind of job you are doing
Just turn to play play girl
Never give them room to see what they're perceiving.
In other hands also be looking for another
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Richiepiro(m): 8:12pm On Sep 26, 2019
Are you a christian? if yes, then stand your ground and let them know that you have what they don't have. preach to them by so doing you will definitely scare all of them away and command respect among them.,

you don't have from your greatest fear.,

you just have to face it.,

and emerge as a winner............
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by TenthMan(m): 8:12pm On Sep 26, 2019
ESSOHEngineers:
Work Place Sexual Harassment is common and both ways, however women are statistically more on the receiving end that the giving end. However as common as it is, it places a lot of emotional and psychological stress on the Victim. This is because it is just a step away from rape/assault.

Do not assume you are overreacting. Report him immediately to your boss. Escalate it. He is already stalking you by coming to your door. Perhaps creeping and peeping and listening.

Tell him you will report him to your boss. Tell your boss that you are doing so because it is the right thing to do in such a circumstance. The reason for reporting to your boss is not only because you want him cautioned. It is also because from an Occupational Health,Safety and Well-being perspective, it is simply the procedure to follow and the thing to do. Tell your boss to call a chat with you both and complain further. I am assuming it is a small company,hence no strong HR Team. Also, where possible report him to other male folk within the apartment. This is so that you have witnesses to show you have complained. If you want, also write a formal report of complaints to your boss and keep a copy.

And if he doesn't stop, tell him you will file a complaint to the police. Where possible avoid all manner of mundane and trivial gist with him. Keep your conversations and association formal.

Keep evidence of all his behaviors. You might need it. Where possible send him warnings via text messages and keep those too. Next time he does that put your phone camera on video record and make a video. Don't worry about if it is clear or if you got a perfect shot. Just make a video/videos of you warning him sternly about his harrasament and how you don't fancy it.

Harassers usually feel victims are playing hard to get. Generally for women they are usually harrassed by their Seniors. For men they are harassed both by their bosses and juniors as a matter of fact.

Where it is not conducive you might need to leave the job. It is better than living with the horrors and trauma of rape. The Nigerian hypocritical and patriarchal society is unforgiving to women assaulted. If you follow the trend, it is common for Nigerian men to lie and say the lady agreed to have sex for a specified amount and that when they didn't pay the woman decided to claim rape. He will even claim he has been dating you. Finally it moves to cognitive dissonance where they blame the Devil or blame the "thing that came over them" and how "they usually don't act like this" etc. At the end people will say why didn't you speak up. Why didn't you leave. Etc. So, be careful and speak out. Don't ever assume you are overreacting. Put a stop to it otherwise he will get bolder.

Eventually if it gets bad, you may have to decide if it is worth your continued stay of if you should leave. No one can make that decision for you.

One of Many Examples of Workplace Rape and Assault.

https://www.nairaland.com/5437096/man-rapes-co-worker-death-ogun

At least Nairaland still has some value to offer. It hasn't completely gone to the dogs.

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Yomit71(m): 8:13pm On Sep 26, 2019
hustla:

Easy stuff
Take his number

Have your boyfriend call him as if he's a solider with strong voice and threaten to deal with him..

Alternatively, you can report him to actual soldiers and have them deal with him...them dey like these kain cases

U can also snap pictures with soldiers, tell him your brother is one of them.. And see how he will start to behave

He'll adjust sharply!

grin
Rubbish, soldier sef go chop after help beating the guy
Rubbish

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Vincad: 8:16pm On Sep 26, 2019
@NwanyiOkpa Sis, first thing first, get evidence. With the kind of country we are living in, you always want to have proof.
Report to the HR, report to your boss and get proof of you doing this. If it means recording the conversation, do it.
Then confront the pig, again get proof. You have to be brave and stand up to him. Make it clear that you are not interested. If possible leave that shared accommodation ASAP.
Believe me you don't want to be near this guy if he is the vindictive type. From now on be very careful in your dealings with him.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by mrwonlasewonie: 8:16pm On Sep 26, 2019
Muyiwaipere:
The way you dress is the way you are addressed

You can not dress like an innocent and decent girl and a man would be doing that... Fear go catch am sef

So.... Change your mode of dressing and restrict your relationship with them
.gaskia?
yorubas say it is always disappointing when we expect wisdom from a person but we meet with foolishness

Very convenient justification for workplace sexual harassment

Closet rapist/rape apologist

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by koolaid87: 8:17pm On Sep 26, 2019
Heartbender:
Quit. Get a new job. Report to your boss and leave assumption. Get the police involved. Talk to your colleague that you don't like it either before other colleagues or personally or both...because when e happen, you go know say advice no be curse and options borkoo

Foolish advice.. quit kill you there

You get another job for her

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Eminent4u(m): 8:17pm On Sep 26, 2019
Just play along with him, don't ever try to report or insult him publicly or else they'll (the guys) treat your f^ck up. Maybe you do flaunt that thing in his presence, if so pls cover up
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by cerpvad(m): 8:18pm On Sep 26, 2019
All your topics on Nairaland has always pointed to sexual harassment. I think it's been long you have been experiencing this ugly situation.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Gartol(m): 8:20pm On Sep 26, 2019
I think you should tell your boss you need a new apartment that you can't keep staying in the old one if he asks why then that will be a good time to express your mind

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:20pm On Sep 26, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

So you mean i should share my body like rice to every man that comes knocking? Can you give same advice to your daughter?

Abeg, epp me ask de he goat!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by ogawisdom(m): 8:20pm On Sep 26, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

I am having a difficult time as a colleague of keeps harassing me sexually. He tries touching me and sometimes takes a picture of my ass without my consent and sends the picture to via whatsapp.

I am really pissed off and i feel like reporting. But my boss is also a womanizer and i am scared what the outcome might be. I live in the company's provided accommodation and as bad as it is, i am the only lady and female staff of the organization and hence, i am only female sharing accommodation with the rest of them. Although i have my own room but the rooms are kind of close to each other and this colleague keeps handing around my room.

I am getting really scared as i don't know what to do. I am new to the job and the youngest among them all.

Please advise me.

Only female?
. enjoy the attention u may not be worth it if there are 10 female staff
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 26, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

I am having a difficult time as a colleague of keeps harassing me sexually. He tries touching me and sometimes takes a picture of my ass without my consent and sends the picture to via whatsapp.

I am really pissed off and i feel like reporting. But my boss is also a womanizer and i am scared what the outcome might be. I live in the company's provided accommodation and as bad as it is, i am the only lady and female staff of the organization and hence, i am only female sharing accommodation with the rest of them. Although i have my own room but the rooms are kind of close to each other and this colleague keeps handing around my room.

I am getting really scared as i don't know what to do. I am new to the job and the youngest among them all.

Please advise me.

My sister its just a matter of time before they come up with a plan , you are gonna get raped, they will make it look like some hoodlums attacked you, or kill you and fake it to look like suicide in order to escape the law.

Invite a grown brother or cousin of yours to come and live with you, if they start to complain about him please quit.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 26, 2019
[quote author=Olu1000 post=82595405][/quote]

Rapist
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by saajus: 8:25pm On Sep 26, 2019
I guessed you have not really warned him with bold face. I know some ladies that warn men with laugh. If he refuses, tell your humanizer Boss. At least you have an alibi cos a guy like that can rape you someday if you are not careful.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Myhusband(m): 8:25pm On Sep 26, 2019
na so your asss big reach? you're working in an unhealthy working place

be vigilant while you look for another job OK? don't you have a bf or fiance?

if your bf/fiance doesn't stay around, make friend with a Godfearing church brother that might sometimes visit you at leisure time
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 26, 2019
How big is your company?
How many women are there?
Is there a 'bro' culture?
Is the guy very popular?
Is he the only one doing this?

If your company does not have a clearly defined policy in harassment, you're out of luck

If there are mostly men who have a particular alpha male type attitude, you're also out of luck

Is the ceo a man or a woman, and how approachable is he/she?

Because these things cascade down. If oga at the top sees women as pieces of meat, not much you can do

It is honestly a bad situation because you may report and nothing will happen and then there will be hostility towards you. You report and the guy is warned, hostility.

If the guy is deemed important, everyone will look the other way.

Talk to the hr person who interviewed you. And the ogas. They must have had a reason for hiring a woman into an all male organization.

It would be nice if you knew a bit of self defense and were to embarrass him physically if he touched you. Most harassers are bullies who back off when they see you are tougher than them

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by King44(m): 8:31pm On Sep 26, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

Please advise me.
confront him privately in a diplomatic way if he doesn't yield wait till after work when you get home confront him openly but if he persist threaten to get him arrested if he doesn't stop write a letter to your company stating he did, what you have done and since he is not yielding tell them what you would do so they should call him to other and wait for their responds if you are shying away from defending yourself one day that your manager would join the bandwagon what will you do then
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Skmoda(m): 8:32pm On Sep 26, 2019
MrOwonikoko:

Your English though, how did they employ you in the first place?�
I think she is angry while typing embarassed

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Scetrocom: 8:39pm On Sep 26, 2019
ESSOHEngineers:
Work Place Sexual Harassment is common and both ways, however women are statistically more on the receiving end that the giving end. However as common as it is, it places a lot of emotional and psychological stress on the Victim. This is because it is just a step away from rape/assault.

Do not assume you are overreacting. Report him immediately to your boss. Escalate it. He is already stalking you by coming to your door. Perhaps creeping and peeping and listening.

Tell him you will report him to your boss. Tell your boss that you are doing so because it is the right thing to do in such a circumstance. The reason for reporting to your boss is not only because you want him cautioned. It is also because from an Occupational Health,Safety and Well-being perspective, it is simply the procedure to follow and the thing to do. Tell your boss to call a chat with you both and complain further. I am assuming it is a small company,hence no strong HR Team. Also, where possible report him to other male folk within the apartment. This is so that you have witnesses to show you have complained. If you want, also write a formal report of complaints to your boss and keep a copy.

And if he doesn't stop, tell him you will file a complaint to the police. Where possible avoid all manner of mundane and trivial gist with him. Keep your conversations and association formal.

Keep evidence of all his behaviors. You might need it. Where possible send him warnings via text messages and keep those too. Next time he does that put your phone camera on video record and make a video. Don't worry about if it is clear or if you got a perfect shot. Just make a video/videos of you warning him sternly about his harrasament and how you don't fancy it.

Harassers usually feel victims are playing hard to get. Generally for women they are usually harrassed by their Seniors. For men they are harassed both by their bosses and juniors as a matter of fact.

Where it is not conducive you might need to leave the job. It is better than living with the horrors and trauma of rape. The Nigerian hypocritical and patriarchal society is unforgiving to women assaulted. If you follow the trend, it is common for Nigerian men to lie and say the lady agreed to have sex for a specified amount and that when they didn't pay the woman decided to claim rape. He will even claim he has been dating you. Finally it moves to cognitive dissonance where they blame the Devil or blame the "thing that came over them" and how "they usually don't act like this" etc. At the end people will say why didn't you speak up. Why didn't you leave. Etc. So, be careful and speak out. Don't ever assume you are overreacting. Put a stop to it otherwise he will get bolder.

Eventually if it gets bad, you may have to decide if it is worth your continued stay of if you should leave. No one can make that decision for you.

Best advice if you can take to it.
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Denique(f): 8:40pm On Sep 26, 2019
ESSOHEngineers:

Cc: NwanyiOkpa
This was my situation sometime this year. A married pastor with 3 grown ups kept pestering me and I figured he might want to turn the table should I blast him immediately, hence the need to play along to gather my evidence against him when I saw he wasn't ready to back down. He'd say to me that I was avoiding him and that he didn't like it. I was always surprised that a pastor could encourage immorality. I told a few trusted colleagues(who knew he was already sleeping with a junior colleague and still does... he just got her a phone by the way). He wanted us to go outside Lagos to avoid people seeing him. I insisted it had to be in Lagos. I made him transfer for the hotel booking in order to capture his name. Guy man pastor sent a paltry 5k and asked me to pay for "short time" since the money wasn't enough for a good hotel. I didn't even argue, I said OKAY. Asked my colleagues what "short time" meant and was told. My first unofficial hotel transaction! Long story short, he came in, rushed in to bathe so, he could start work. I beeped my colleagues to come right in and they started filming. We seized his clothes and shoes but people in the neighborhood pleaded with us to give them back to him since we had already disgraced him. This man had the guts to call the CEO to narrate the incident to him. Save for the evidence, he wanted to play the victim. He knows our boss is a womaniser which was why he could tell him. That one called us threatening to throw us out if we sent anything to any media house. We had to put up appearance pending when a new offer comes. Although, we've been getting offers, but we don't want to jump from frying pan to fire. So, Sis, my advice is this, DO NOT for ANY REASON, GIVE IN! If, you can, try have some evidence(s) but be very careful and also be on the look out for new offers otherwise RESIGN. Thank God, December is around the corner, there will be offers.
I just got a space to test run my chops business so I can quit the job by December. If I wanted to sleep with married men talk more of a married pastor; there'd be no need for me to work in the first place. Woulda just got a spot in OPEBI, GOD FORBID!
Shalom!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Correcton(m): 8:41pm On Sep 26, 2019
Call them , and beg them very well, ur fucture is bright..
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by meobizy(f): 8:42pm On Sep 26, 2019
...and the option of telling him you do not like what he’s doing is off the table?
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Mydazz(m): 8:43pm On Sep 26, 2019
A random colleague cannot take a picture of your mighty ass and send it to you on whatsapp,..... it is really wrong,..... He's either not just a colleague or somehow you're enjoying it. Either way it means your story isn't balanced
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Moh4ka(m): 8:43pm On Sep 26, 2019
Japa
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by buiquiey(m): 8:46pm On Sep 26, 2019
I had to take cautions time to read through lines to come up with what I have to say:

1. The way I am seeing this claim means if you really don't live in the same room with him, how on earth does he stalk on ur privacy? Do u open ur doors when u are about to UnCloth or dress up?

2. If truly there are nothing between both of you, its not too hard to tell him what u like and don't like. Unless he is the one that got you your dream job.

3. If are no intimacy BTW you two, report to your boss ASAP and forget about if your boss womanizes or manizes#winks#.

4. Your level of communication when you are around him and others in terms of sex and or anything that will bring any such claim should be stop immediately, because I see that it is what you guys discuss in close or open doors that can trigger such.

Thanks
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by LifeOfTrigga(m): 8:49pm On Sep 26, 2019
Lol, wetin bad make you close your door. Face him and let him know you ain’t in for shits. Only if you have been fucking each other for long but don’t want it anymore.
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Makuos19: 8:57pm On Sep 26, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

Please advise me.

Its because you look or dresses like a Harlot!!@
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by sisisioge: 8:59pm On Sep 26, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

Where to?

Madam, start living off work o before them force themselves on you if you can't leave the job. Hian! By the way, no HR?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Jombom: 9:02pm On Sep 26, 2019
You have no idea the number of foolish rretards PDP release into NL after losing the 2015 presidential election.
Roland17:
I am more worried and disgusted at the people who liked this comment than the id!ot that posted the comment. It is shameful that anyone would remotely find this comment likable and positive enough to like. Where have our values gone to? Where is the rational mind that helps moderate our extremes? This is very troubling.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by baby124: 9:04pm On Sep 26, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

Please advise me.
Start gathering evidence of his advances. Give it 2-3months and present it to your boss. You can subtly start mentioning it loud to your colleague that you are not interested in his advances while keeping evidence. Wait till you have enough evidence and present it to your boss. If he does nothing about it, present it to his boss and quit. If nothing is done about it, get a lawyer with your evidence.
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by ohem007(m): 9:08pm On Sep 26, 2019
ESSOHEngineers:

Eventually if it gets bad, you may have to decide if it is worth your continued stay of if you should leave. No one can make that decision for you

God will bless you abundantly sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Boss Is Asking Me Out On A Date / PHCN Staff Electrocuted In Ikeja Due To Lack Of Safety Equipment(Graphic Photo) / Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.