Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,041 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? (35234 Views)

Female Soldier, Ruth Ogunleye Arrested After Complaining About Sexual Harassment / How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? / I Lost A Colleague To An Explosion At Work In Kogi (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 27, 2019
Na so some single male teacher behave
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by fegben(m): 7:07am On Sep 27, 2019
keep it cool and calm, don't be naive about it. if you have a boyfriend you're safe
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Sleevia: 7:51am On Sep 27, 2019
BRATISLAVA:

That advice is so shocking! Can you imagine what some men are thinking? That they should be understood even when they have exceeded the limits for same behavior?

I said it... Any man that will try nonsense with my daughter will pay for it...especially in a country like Nigeria that is filled with perverts.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Cumpel1615: 8:09am On Sep 27, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

I am having a difficult time as a colleague of keeps harassing me sexually. He tries touching me and sometimes takes a picture of my ass without my consent and sends the picture to via whatsapp.

I am really pissed off and i feel like reporting. But my boss is also a womanizer and i am scared what the outcome might be. I live in the company's provided accommodation and as bad as it is, i am the only lady and female staff of the organization and hence, i am only female sharing accommodation with the rest of them. Although i have my own room but the rooms are kind of close to each other and this colleague keeps handing around my room.

I am getting really scared as i don't know what to do. I am new to the job and the youngest among them all.

Please advise me.
why not have a Frank and straight face talk with him. Warn him, tell him that you have told your elder brother about it and that if he doesn't stop harassing you, u will take up the matter. You seem to be the type that laugh with everybody, I have two ladies in my company house too. One is extremely strict that u dare not even try to shake hands with her or even touch her and everybody respects her and give her space, but the second one that jokes and play with everybody is bin talked about, almost all the guys even claim to have slept with her. She approached me one day for advise, she came crying that guys are saying they have slept with her, I said yes!!! Because u caused it. How many can say so about your second?

My advise is for you to give him a thorough warning and then stay away from him except work related relationship alone.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by yetunsbay(m): 8:57am On Sep 27, 2019
@ op

1. You ain't even a virgin no more sef so u can resign if u've got another job.

2. Are u with same boyfriend whom u took postinor 2 after having sex with him ? U've departed or na another guy u dey yarn
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 27, 2019
pocohantas:

Lol. The dressing side apart, sometimes it pays to be a meanie, because people no fit look you talk some kind thing.

As for the harrassment, that one is to report straight up. I might be nice enough to warn you first, after that, I will go straight to HR. But I suspect her organization isn't a very structured one.
Poco love,you are so on point on the bolded and it's so ME,guys around my place of work knows me for that and they always say I'm too serious.

Some guys like touching too,not always the sensitive parts but your hand,your shoulder,tapping you to get your attention and all that.I so much hate it,if you want to talk,talk.DON'T touch me.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by SunbeamClothier(f): 10:36am On Sep 27, 2019
Report to your boss
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by owila4luv(m): 10:39am On Sep 27, 2019
first of all screenshot those pics of your ass he took without your consent plus all the naughty conversation an save them on your cloud or gmail, try as much as possible to video or record dirty advances screatly, caution him politely but seriously, make dem or him understand you're no LovePeddler, if he persist report to your boss but ensure it's recorded by any means possible, since he is a womaniser too. if possible make a casual report at the nearest police station just a way of notifying without them arresting, then after some time get yourself an engagement ring even if your guy didn't propose. (use it only in the office) and make sure you celebrate the engagement with dem. if it continue find a way of leaving de job as it's not worth your life.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by CCC2(m): 10:39am On Sep 27, 2019
I had a very bad experience too. My Head of department was always on my neck then. I lived 5mins walk from my workplace and each day after work she wanted to follow me home. I was always escaping from the office but couldnt do that for ever. After some months she became so difficult and was always finding fault in all i do. Nothing would have stopped me from going down with her after all she is a single lady but i didn't just like her. On a very bad day, her attitude almost got me depressed and i just made up my mind to polash her. I walked into her office after work and told her 'I have come to kiss u". she looked at me in surprise for about 10sec and said " U are her to set me up right"? I just walked up to her, kissed her and told her to meet me at home then walked out. Like 45min later my door bell rang and here comes madam. It was a good evening for both but the bigger picture became dawn on me that i have just signed a live contract after she made my house her second office. All this while, i never knew people were observing. 2months later, my admin manager called me and said "So u finally gave in to this woman's pressure? I was shocked but had to open up to her and pleaded with her to help me workout a transfer. As God may have it I was transferred to another branch. This kind of dilemma is a difficult one to navigate through but i would advice u startup in a playful manner by exposing every step he take to ur colleagues in his presence. if he does not stop, then u can report him to the boss.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by P0c0p0c0: 10:45am On Sep 27, 2019
Simplep:
Poco love,you are so on point on the bolded and it's so ME,guys around my place of work knows me for that and they always say I'm too serious.

Some guys like touching too,not always the sensitive parts but your hand,your shoulder,tapping you to get your attention and all that.I so much hate it,if you want to talk,talk.DON'T touch me.

Exactly o. If you laugh with these guys too much, them go run you street. The ones in my office know I am not very okay, so they give me my way. Why touching someone anyhow? The way they will be stroking your arms sef.
God epp us grin
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Nobody: 10:51am On Sep 27, 2019
P0c0p0c0:

Exactly o. If you laugh with these guys too much, them go run you street. The ones in my office know I am not very okay, so they give me my way. Why touching someone anyhow? The way they will be stroking your arms sef.
God epp us grin
Amen o cheesy
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by urahara(m): 10:57am On Sep 27, 2019
victorian:

I'm not a prostitute because prostitute dress half naked and stand by the street waiting for customers

While I dress kitted up and smart, lecturing a class and consult for people...

I use my brain and ideas to make money and create wealth for people all over the country and some areas of the world. People sings my praises off nairaland cos I'm a source of light to them, mostly women.

Not my pussy Huncle

That's the difference and I'm proud of my job and everything that makes me who I am! cheesy

I'm so proud and happy with my job smiley

tongue

You seem like a very confident woman.
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by victorian(f): 11:08am On Sep 27, 2019
urahara:

You seem like a very confident woman.

I am smiley

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Mryacks: 11:32am On Sep 27, 2019
If it gets out of hand (which I believe it has) report to your boss. Even though as you said, he is a womanizer, he would still do the right thing and try to be on your good books. What your colleague is doing is wrong and your boss would not allow it...
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by frozen70(f): 11:44am On Sep 27, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

I am having a difficult time as a colleague of keeps harassing me sexually. He tries touching me and sometimes takes a picture of my ass without my consent and sends the picture to via whatsapp.

I am really pissed off and i feel like reporting. But my boss is also a womanizer and i am scared what the outcome might be. I live in the company's provided accommodation and as bad as it is, i am the only lady and female staff of the organization and hence, i am only female sharing accommodation with the rest of them. Although i have my own room but the rooms are kind of close to each other and this colleague keeps handing around my room.

I am getting really scared as i don't know what to do. I am new to the job and the youngest among them all.

Please advise me.

Be yourself, you are matured to make a choice of what you want and what you don't want

Be discipline and be respectful to every one but don't allow anyone of them to be your lover, you might not have a good end

Make your friends outside from them so that the level of jealous will be controlled

They are all hanging on you because they want to know who will be the lucky chap

Then bear in mind that your boss is also a womaniser and he too may be interested in you

That's the area you will have a tough challenge and decision to make

Left for me, I will advise you keep of any love affairs among you Co tenants
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by sanmtiago(m): 12:49pm On Sep 27, 2019
ESSOHEngineers:
Work Place Sexual Harassment is common and both ways, however women are statistically more on the receiving end than the giving end. Consequently, even as common as it is, it places a lot of emotional and psychological stress on the Victim. This is because it is just a step away from rape/sexual assault.

Do not assume you are overreacting. Report him immediately to your boss. Escalate it. He is already stalking you by coming to your door. Perhaps creeping and peeping and listening.

Tell him you will report him to your boss. Tell your boss that you are doing so because it is the right thing to do in such a circumstance. The reason for reporting to your boss is not only because you want him cautioned. It is also because from an Occupational Health,Safety and Well-being perspective, it is simply the procedure to follow and the thing to do. Tell your boss to call a chat with you both and complain further. I am assuming it is a small company,hence no strong HR Team. Also, where possible report him to other male folk within the apartment. This is so that you have witnesses to show you have complained. If you want, also write a formal report of complaints to your boss and keep a copy.

And if he doesn't stop, tell him you will file a complaint to the police. Where possible avoid all manner of mundane and trivial gist with him. Keep your conversations and association formal.

Keep evidence of all his behaviors. You might need it. Where possible send him warnings via text messages and keep those too. Next time he does that put your phone camera on video record and make a video. Don't worry about if it is clear or if you got a perfect shot. Just make a video/videos of you warning him sternly about his harrasament and how you don't fancy it.

Harassers usually feel victims are playing hard to get. Generally for women they are usually harrassed by their Seniors. For men they are harassed both by their bosses and juniors as a matter of fact.

Where it is not conducive you might need to leave the job. It is better than living with the horrors and trauma of rape. The Nigerian hypocritical and patriarchal society is unforgiving to women assaulted. If you follow the trend, it is common for Nigerian men to lie and say the lady agreed to have sex for a specified amount and that when they didn't pay the woman decided to claim rape. He will even claim he has been dating you. Finally it moves to cognitive dissonance where they blame "the Devil" or blame the "thing that came over them" and how "they usually don't act like this" and how they don't know what came over them and how it seems it is a spirit. Shameful cognitive dissonance where we commit a crime due to LUST, HATRED, GREED, ANGER, ENVY, JEALOUSY etc. and then we blame an evil spirit.

At the end people will say why didn't you speak up. Why didn't you leave. Etc. So, be careful and speak out. Don't ever assume you are overreacting. Put a stop to it otherwise he will get bolder. Eventually if it gets bad, you may have to decide if it is worth your continued stay of if you should leave. No one can make that decision for you.

One of Many Examples of Workplace Rape and Assault.

https://www.nairaland.com/5437096/man-rapes-co-worker-death-ogun
you're such an intelligent fellow.
My question is what do you call such men??
I’d rather forgive a criminal than a rapist.
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by SammyStrong(m): 4:00pm On Sep 27, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

Please advise me.

Report the matter to the nearest police station close to you.
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by TheQuirkyPen993: 6:06pm On Sep 27, 2019
You better run before your case becomes a sorry case. I've heard of two cases where a co worker rape and killed a lady. Run madam. It's better to be in poverty than to be raped and killed.
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by Makuos19: 8:42am On Sep 28, 2019
victorian:

I am smiley

When you put on fitted clothes do you look decent or Seductive
Re: How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? by ziziangel(m): 3:09pm On Sep 29, 2019
Muyiwaipere:
The way you dress is the way you are addressed

You can not dress like an innocent and decent girl and a man would be doing that... Fear go catch am sef

So.... Change your mode of dressing and restrict your relationship with them
.gaskia?

Bro, people rape Deeper Life women and even babies, so this dressing decently only comes to play in so- called decent religious societies like ours...the dude is a threat to her and that's it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is There Any Hope For Microbiologist In Nigeria / My Boss Is Asking Me Out On A Date / Massive Protest Ongoing By Eko Atlantic Workers In Victoria Island, Lagos. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.