Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? (37505 Views)

(Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 / App That Cost ₦80,000.00 On Playstore / Sme Data: Get Mtn 1gb For N600 Or 1.5gb For N900 With 3 Month Validity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by CharlesJok3r: 12:42pm On Sep 29, 2019
Because I have the money... That is rational enough to justify buying an expensive smartphone for myself.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by adenigga(m): 12:42pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Actually, it's not the amount that's the real issue. There are many products that cost more than #600k. But the issue is which value does it add to me that a #100k phone can't?

I think you get the gist.

Lalasticlala

You are on point!
But remember, life is like two sides of a coin. The angle you & me are viewing it might not be d side adenuga, otedola, davido, DJ Cuppy, etc. are viewing there own. May God help us!

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 29, 2019
People should stop telling others how to spend their hard earned money.. when you make your own money, you're free to spend it the way you like.. until then, stop trying to justify someone else's expenditure. Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by philtea: 12:42pm On Sep 29, 2019
When I still dey use tecno y2 that the ram is not up to one gig
I'll get there one day Sha

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:
We work hard to earn money, so it's rational for us to spend our money on only products/services that (we believe) will add value to our lives.

Yesterday, I heard of a phone that costs #600k. The first question that came to my mind was:

what will I enjoy from this phone that my Google Pixel won't give?

So I decided to throw this question to the house.

How can you rationally justify spending #600k on a phone?

Thanks.

It's called stupidity...
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by girlspet1(m): 12:42pm On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Why would dangote foolishly spend all that money building that refinery?
Dangote is not foolishly spending money, he is trying to extend his business bro. We call that investment dear.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by xcelentattitude(m): 12:42pm On Sep 29, 2019
You don't, period!
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Gidah: 12:43pm On Sep 29, 2019
Again don't be decieved most of the boys you see the phone with didn't buy it, they have the means of collecting it from the clients as yahoo boys call it, mind you I love gadget alot but I don't know if I can buy a phone worth 600k I would rather collect it as a gift than buy it with the cash

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Yoighaman(m): 12:43pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:
We work hard to earn money, so it's rational for us to spend our money on only products/services that (we believe) will add value to our lives.

Yesterday, I heard of a phone that costs #600k. The first question that came to my mind was:

Thanks.

Why buy a Bentley or Rolls Royce when a Toyota or Nissan can move you around? I hope you now get the gist.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by donhils: 12:43pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Actually, it's not the amount that's the real issue. There are many products that cost more than #600k. But the issue is which value does it add to me that a #100k phone can't?

Lalasticlala
What can a 100k phone do for that a 35k Tecno or Infinix can't do? If you can answer that question then you'll know why someone that has 600k and wants to buy a phone with can can
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by unscripted(m): 12:43pm On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

If one cannot spend excessively on particular items, does not mean those that do...... Are making a foolish decision......

Human wants are unlimited, but resources are very limited..... Simply put, cut your coat accordingly to the materials available.......
our wants are unlimited , that is why we have to draw a line of sanity , we have to define the reason why we want things .. Or else we wud be in a rat race , having every reason to be greedy and in human. A business man may buy that phone to prove a point to his prospective market ( maybe because that's the nature of his market )but at least he has a productive reason to buy it .. But buying things just because they r the latest , I personally don't see any sense in it .. Even the makers of the phones are making a fool of its customers .( they sell at a high price for their vain customers , then after a year they make the price reasonable )
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by SoNature(m): 12:44pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Thanks for your contribution bro.
According to you, if I get you right, the fact that you can afford it is enough justification.

I don't believe this is rational. A rational human being spends on what adds value/benefit to his life.

goodmorning40 is right.

Some things are just made to send the signal of where someone belongs.

When you get to that level, you will laugh at this thread.

Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs explained everything.

Google it.

3 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Sep 29, 2019
Majority of those casting the OP do not get his point. If I understood him properly, he is not against buying phones worth 600k but is asking for the value a 600k phone brings that is commensurate to the cost.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Gidah: 12:46pm On Sep 29, 2019
donhils:

What can a 100k phone do for that a 35k Tecno or Infinix can't do? If you can answer that question then you'll know why someone that has 600k and wants to buy a phone with can can
there's a lot the swiftness alone would want you to break your 35k phone, remember everyone now is a professional photographer thanks to the phone, sometimes due to moral or how would I say it, makes some of us blind to the latest trends whereas those young boys you see make full use of the gadgets to make more money. Don't condemn what you don't know

5 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 12:46pm On Sep 29, 2019
anjorin4:
We don't expect someone like Mark Zuckerberg to be buying Tecno because he doesn't want to spend much or spend wisely, if you have the money, nothing is stopping.Like me I can't use a phone with Snapdragon 845 below, it's below my standard because I'm a Gamer and u don't expect me to be Gaming with a Tecno phone, so when I was buying a Phone I got myself Xiaomi Pocophone F1 which is about 100k, which is like my 1 month salary. Some of my co-workers was like why will I waste my money to buy a phone of that amount? I'm like your 60k phone can't even run the Games am playing on my phone, so Wha Tha Hell.

It's all about preference and what u want, I'm sure if I had gone for a Smaller phone, I won't be satisfied. I got a phone that can do the task and sure it's the cheapest in that range.

It does the task I want and that's all that matters.

You have a rational justification.

It helps you run apps/games that you enjoy.

You're in the rare 5%.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 12:46pm On Sep 29, 2019
unscripted:
our wants are unlimited , that is why we have to draw a line of sanity , we have to define the reason why we want things .. Or else we wud be in a rat race , having every reason to be greedy and in human. A business man may buy that phone to prove a point to his prospective market ( maybe because that's the nature of his market )but at least he has a productive reason to buy it .. But buying things just because they r the latest , I personally don't see any sense in it .. Even the makers of the phones are making a fool of its customers .( they sell at a high price for their vain customers , then after a year they make the price reasonable )

When money to purchase is not a limitation, you decide the end of that line............

When you have no money, your pocket would draw the line for you.......

4 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Gerrard59(m): 12:46pm On Sep 29, 2019
Numismatic:
If not because of our stupid economy, these phones aren't that expensive but for exchange rate. Imagine if 1$ is equals to say n100 naira, these phones would be quite affordable. Everything boils down to our shattered and battered economy

So by your post, South Korea and Japan have battered economies based on the Won and Yen value to the dollars?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by meobizy(f): 12:47pm On Sep 29, 2019
Poverty mentality is a very hard thing to shake off. In the same sense OP should settle for a 20k per month job. What will someone need a 200k and upward per month job for?

4 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 12:48pm On Sep 29, 2019
DanXplore:
Majority of those casting the OP do not get his point. He is not against buying phones worth 600k but is asking for the value a 600k phone brings.

It's not a crime fleshing out a topic of discussion........
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Progress62(m): 12:48pm On Sep 29, 2019
I will wait till this phone get to 30k before I will buy.

I need followers plz, hit my profile
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by BuhBye: 12:48pm On Sep 29, 2019
muffyt05:

I'm sorry to say but that's just a lame reason for buying it. I'm 100% certain that Dangote, Otedola and even Bill Gate will never go for such irrational spending just cos they can afford it.
Lol Bill Gates had a collection of rare manuscripts by Leonardo Da Vinci worth $8 mil. I bet that's an irrational spending to you.
You really don't want to know the amount Otedola and Dangote spends on clothes.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Atigba: 12:49pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Thanks.

I can afford it, but I don't need it.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by CaptainMitch: 12:50pm On Sep 29, 2019
What's the use of making a lot of money if you can't spend it on the things you like

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by midnighter(f): 12:50pm On Sep 29, 2019
You can't justify it, you can only reason it as a gift

this is the same way i feel about spending much money on clothes, it just seems crazy

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by seangy4konji: 12:51pm On Sep 29, 2019
When good money enter. It wony be headache..

I can't confirm 200k$ now and buying a phone of 600k should give me headache.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by unscripted(m): 12:52pm On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Financial recklessness with my money? If i am lucky enough to buy a 600K phone and the person next door feel oppressed.... I cannot help him feeling oppressed......

So I shouldn't spend my money anyhow i deem befitting, for fear of oppression? Whatever happened to my freedom of expression?
my point basically is ,, buying stuffs without having a need other than " it is the latest " doesn't seem smart to me .. If ones reason for having the phone is just to show that one can afford it , I feel it is financial recklessness ..

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Adiwana: 12:52pm On Sep 29, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:
Foolishness does have any rational justification as you can see from the responses on this thread.

If you understand the time value of money and how compound interest works, you will not waste your money on frivolities or be a victim of corporations that want to get your hard-earned coin.

Even Americans are waking up to the realization that the iPhone is a big scam but for our brain dead youth, it's not yet dawn.

They are waking up because there's no more innovation in Apple products. Apple sold a PC standing aluminium frame for $999 earlier this year if am not mistaken. Increased the size and resolution of iPhone X and in the name of X mas and slapped an extra $200 or so. Who in is his right mind wont wake up

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by donhils: 12:53pm On Sep 29, 2019
Gidah:
there's a lot the swiftness alone would want you to break your 35k phone, remember everyone now is a professional photographer thanks to the phone, sometimes due to moral or how would I say it, makes some of us blind to the latest trends whereas those young boys you see make full use of the gadgets to make more money. Don't condemn what you don't know
Don't condemn what you don't know...I'm sure you should be saying that to yourself
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by gurnam: 12:54pm On Sep 29, 2019
If you have N50b in assets and if a phone of 600k will make you happy, buy it.

It’s your financial level that will determine the rationality or otherwise of a N600k phone

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Lalasticlala
the phone will bring back your ex babe and even microwave your soup without electricity

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by orunmila144: 12:54pm On Sep 29, 2019
its for clout chasers
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by DexterousOne(m): 12:55pm On Sep 29, 2019
ZinoFasisi:

If dangote buys that kind of phone will u call him irrational?

U choose to give ur money to charity because u derive a kind of satisfaction and self fulfilment from it not because u owe anybody a charity obligation (U owe nobody explanation on what u derive from charity).

I choose to spend my money on a luxury item and properties because i can afford it and still have more than enough. I buy luxury because it gives me a sense of self fulfilment and satisfaction (I owe nobody explanation on this).

Rationality is subjective, what is rational to u may not be rational to me and thats why we are humans.

Nobody owes nobody explanation on how they spend their money. I spend my money on what i deem fit not what any1 else deems fit for me cow u didn't make d money for me.

Precisely my point

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Innjoo Max & Innjoo Max 2 Plus Official Discussion Thread / NCC Unveils New Unified Short Codes For All Mobile Networks In The Country / How To Check If Your Iphone Is New Or Refurbished

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.