Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out (24767 Views)

Ambrose Alli University Medical Students Forced To Sign An Undertaking / All Students Forced To Attend Daniel Kolenda Crusade In Ibadan, Muslims Kick / Ossai Osanebi Sends 500K To Stephanie Idolor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by coolh3ad(m): 10:07pm On Sep 30, 2019
ELVISHOT:
A Nigerian lawyer, Edem Ossai, has raised concerns over what she describes as the Ministry of Education's insistence for secondary school students being taught Business studies to practice using Typewriters only.

Ossai who shared a video online where she spoke on the issue, said she was at an education summit in Oyo state last week where it was revealed that students learning Business studies in Nigeria are forced to learn using typewriters.

According to Ossai, secondary schools that wish to teach Business studies are compelled by the Ministry of Education to own typewriters before they can get accreditation. Ossai argued that the era of using typewriter is long gone and that students who are supposed to be the leaders of tomorrow should not be exposed to such archaic method of doing business.

''A most distressing subject was brought to my attention. Did you know that in Nigeria today, children learning Business studies in secondary school are forced to learn with the use of typewriters? Secondary schools that wish to teach Business studies, either private or public schools, to get accreditation to teach that subject, have to own typewriters. This is a cause for serious concern. Unless you have been in coma for several decades, you will be aware that typewrites have no place in the modern place of work. They have no place in businesses today'' she said

Ossai pointed out that from her findings, schools that do not have computers do not teach Business studies and schools that teach Business studies, rent typewriters for their students when the need arises.

Watch a video of her speaking passionately about this below

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3CkMy1AJNa/

Source: https://www.thenaijafame.com.ng/2019/09/nigerian-lawyer-edem-ossai-cries-out-as.html?m=1

Lol. For secondary school. Make she go Yabatech see how OTM (office technology management) OND students Dey carry typewriter go lecture hall up and down.. God bless Nigeria (make I no talk another thing)

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by xcelentattitude(m): 10:07pm On Sep 30, 2019
Go to FCT College of Education zuba, Abuja, na so business education students, both young and old dey jack am. All of them don get biceps by force grin

The funny thing is that about 50% of them can't even operate a computer, but they can operate typewriter grin grin in this present world.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 10:07pm On Sep 30, 2019
NUJABEZ:

A very half-baked teacher, it seems.
why don't you shut up? fully baked abi burnt baked bread.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by mechanics(m): 10:08pm On Sep 30, 2019
Lolz, during my time in those days, I was thought just reading it o, I never use the type writer to type.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by BravoDe: 10:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
This lady is a fool.its not the fact whether the era of typewriter is gone or not. typewriting is a topic under business studies and they are to learn with it.let her check syllabus or scheme of work. even shorthand is still taught. I know what am saying because am a teacher.

I'm** not am

Are u truly a qualified teacher or the quack type?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 10:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
charlsecy:
Why would the curriculum retain an irrelevant exercise?
why shouldn't? its outdated doesn't mean those kids don't use and learn about it.To know what was once.besides thats the starting point of typesetting and word speed. as they grow old they find using the laptop easier.its not so irrelevant bro

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 10:11pm On Sep 30, 2019
Its making me feel nostalgic...my dad gave me a half-broken typewriter when i was small..i used to use it and type rubbish lol

I think this should be a type of keyboard training, no?

Not good but better than nothing

2 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by NUJABEZ: 10:11pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
why don't you shut up? fully baked abi burnt baked bread.

Why are you so angry? Do you wanna talk about it?

3 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by coolh3ad(m): 10:12pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
This lady is a fool.its not the fact whether the era of typewriter is gone or not. typewriting is a topic under business studies and they are to learn with it.let her check syllabus or scheme of work. even shorthand is still taught. I know what am saying because am a teacher.

But who still uses a typewriter is the question?.. When computer don Dey...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 10:13pm On Sep 30, 2019
Op you guys are lucky. If I were to be the ministry head, I would force them to do calculations with abacus sef instead of digital calculators

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 10:13pm On Sep 30, 2019
BravoDe:

I'm** not am

Are u truly a qualified teacher or the quack type?
ask my employers and come question my degree.I teach in a model school with a household name in Nigeria. By next session after review my package will be 6 figure. So you answer if am truly qualified or quack..or better still shut up.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 10:14pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:

But arent they supposed to have upgraded it to something else...like keyboard training...? like with an actual computer or some transcription equipment

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by JubrinElSudan: 10:16pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
Syllabus that have gone extinct. What stops the ministry of education from updating the syllabus. Something I did in 2002 during Junior Waec exam

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 10:16pm On Sep 30, 2019
coolh3ad:

But who still uses a typewriter is the question?.. When computer don Dey...
It's under the scheme of work. those students must be taught. The computer is electronic why this is manual. For knowlege sake, they have to learn it.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by SolarMight(m): 10:17pm On Sep 30, 2019
midnighter:

Lol let me use your powerbank to charge my sundial...need to wake up early tomorrow

Ahbaaa grin
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 10:18pm On Sep 30, 2019
midnighter:

But arent they supposed to have upgraded it to something else...like keyboard training...? like with an actual computer or some transcription equipment
That is why the student also offer computer. you see? computer offers the advanced. Typewriter offers the manual and less advanced.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 10:19pm On Sep 30, 2019
JubrinElSudan:
Syllabus that have gone extinct. What stops the ministry of education from updating the syllabus. Something I did in 2002 during Junior Waec exam
swear to me you did computer in school. The upgrade you talk of is what they offer as computer.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by wolebest: 10:19pm On Sep 30, 2019
Typewriters ke!!! How many steps backwards?

2 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 10:19pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:

U just disgraced your career, imagine your a teacher that should be petitioning for upgrades in school curriculum as things has changed a lot .

Maybe I should pity the pupils that you teach!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 10:20pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:

Imagine buying What you will never use, just because it's sold in the market.

6 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by chloride6: 10:20pm On Sep 30, 2019
There is only one advantage to this:

Typing without error...

In a computer you type back space

Here there is no back space.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by coolh3ad(m): 10:21pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
It's under the scheme of work. those students must be taught. The computer is electronic why this is manual. For knowlege sake, they have to learn it.

Really?. Na just waste of time to me sha when they can do soooo many many many reasonable stuff with the Computer... I learnt how to Type with the computer and I can say I am faster than someone that learnt with a typewriter any day any time..My Opinion shaa

4 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by baratech: 10:21pm On Sep 30, 2019
"typewriter" in 2019 and you're still asking why there's no progress in Nigeria?

The other day I heard they still ask students to bring cockroaches and lizards to school for biology practicals

4 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 10:24pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
That is why the student also offer computer. you see? computer offers the advanced. Typewriter offers the manual and less advanced.

Ok, but they ought to have gotten rid of this by now and replaced it with something more useful

The idea of a 14 year old hunching his frame over a typewriter sounds so very terrible

especially when you think of his equivalent in China...ewo...

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by atiku07(m): 10:24pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:

why not change the topic in the syllabus to microsoft word and excel we are still on the same page the truth is those syllabuses are outdated pure and simple

5 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by AdoOloro(m): 10:24pm On Sep 30, 2019
NUJABEZ:

A very half-baked teacher, it seems.

She'll still be able to satisfy someone's appetite.
But you, what do you do?
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 10:25pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
swear to me you did computer in school. The upgrade you talk of is what they offer as computer.

You are sure that typewriting is taught in computer science?

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 10:25pm On Sep 30, 2019
chloride6:
There is only one advantage to this:

Typing without error...

In a computer you type back space

Here there is no back space.

that is a great way to think of it..it will probably improve your efficiency..
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 10:25pm On Sep 30, 2019
patorial:

U just disgraced your career, imagine your a teacher that should be petitioning for upgrades in school curriculum as things has changed a lot .

Maybe I should pity the pupils that you teach!
you are a disgrace to your career. don't mention me again.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 30, 2019
Ok
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by treasureboy09(m): 10:26pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
. Really, you ain't a forward thinking teacher.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

DELSU Final Year Students Write Exam At Night With No Light / Protesting UNIBEN Students Shut Down Main Gate, Highway / World's Smallest Girl Starts School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.