Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,177 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out (24769 Views)

Ambrose Alli University Medical Students Forced To Sign An Undertaking / All Students Forced To Attend Daniel Kolenda Crusade In Ibadan, Muslims Kick / Ossai Osanebi Sends 500K To Stephanie Idolor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 11:24pm On Sep 30, 2019
patorial:

Do u understand that these syllabus were originally adopted when it were still needed, I bet it has never been edited, that such thing still exist in the syllabus could be because the syllabus itself have not been edited
. what do you know about education or teaching? have you ever taught in your life. See how ignorance is telling on your post. they review our syllabus periodically.if you don't know, ask. It is done every 5 or 4 years. Don't let any teacher hear this abeg. My profession is regulated unlike urs filled with charlatans

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 11:25pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
other than type writer I can tell you 50 other topics in different subject that are irrelevant as you all call it.I've enjoyed this argument and Im happy a few other guys are vouching for this including a computer scientist arewa1408.

Arewa1408. that's quite nice.

It's still what we are debating here, that we need some changes
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by treasureboy09(m): 11:26pm On Sep 30, 2019
midnighter:

The teacher said they teach them excel later on in advanced class, but i dont know what version it is
. Oga what is wrong is wrong, you can't defend it .....our educational system needs to be upgraded, right from the basic to the advance level, that's the major reason we continue producing job seekers and not job creators..
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 11:26pm On Sep 30, 2019
midnighter:

But why cant you tell me 50 topics that we are aiming for in the future? why do we always have to be backward?
you argue too much. haba
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 11:27pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
. what do you know about education or teaching? have you ever taught in your life. See how ignorance is telling on your post. they review our syllabus periodically.if you don't know, ask. It is done every 5 or 4 years. Don't let any teacher hear this abeg. My profession is regulated unlike urs filled with charlatans
I said editing and not changing the cover of a book and its fonts .

Yes I do teach but not the school type,
Just like a Web programmer, I still understand what i mean When I am talking of editing

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 11:28pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
you argue too much. haba

Lol i greeted you "well done" to conclude the thing, then you started another one again. or you dont want me to answer you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 11:31pm On Sep 30, 2019
treasureboy09:
. Oga what is wrong is wrong, you can't defend it .....our educational system needs to be upgraded, right from the basic to the advance level, that's the major reason we continue producing job seekers and not job creators..

you said they should teach excel, and im telling you the teacher said they already teach it, but later.

i am not defending it but he does have some points. it looks like the teachers dont mind it the way it is lol. cant even remember the last time i saw a typewriter
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 11:35pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
you argue too much. haba
I just started liking u now for one reason, even though you get angry you are still helping to let out your own part.

If you're the type that dig meaning out of conversation, I'd like to exchange contacts with you?
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by 9jaRealist: 11:53pm On Sep 30, 2019
"Business studies" is NOT what this lawyer thinks it is...
But she's right, aspiring secretaries should be using computers these days.

>
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Sirwallace(m): 11:54pm On Sep 30, 2019
BravoDe:

I'm** not am

Are u truly a qualified teacher or the quack type?

Do they even need a degree to teach in secondary school these days.
I met people worse than this in NYSC.

Type writer for fast typing in 2019.
What happened to mavis beacon on computer.

That dude is so in the 50's.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by 9jaRealist: 12:03am On Oct 01, 2019
treasureboy09:

Our educational system is periodically upgraded...
The problem is less the "system" but more the PEOPLE operating it.

For the record, over the past couple of years Nigeria has been developing an educational curriculum that emphasizes STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics). Nigeria is developing that curriculum with the support of global players like MIT, Cisco, IBM and Oracle, a nationwide curriculum that incorporates 21st century STEAM thinking: coding, design skills, digital arts, robotics, machine learning, and so on.
>
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by greypencils: 12:05am On Oct 01, 2019
Chithauri:
This lady is a fool.its not the fact whether the era of typewriter is gone or not. typewriting is a topic under business studies and they are to learn with it.let her check syllabus or scheme of work. even shorthand is still taught. I know what am saying because am a teacher.
You are part of the retrogressive people in Nigeria. Can you imagine high-school students in the U.S learning the typewriter in this 21st century? Are you aware there are bots that are being developed to type your letters for you while you dictate them? Who is the fool here really?

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by rilikalid(m): 12:06am On Oct 01, 2019
[quote author=oluemmakay post=82722600]

Just like I said earlier, I lecture this subject as a course. This is how it works. We use the typewriters to build the student's Keyboarding skill from the scratch. Having learnt the mastery of the keyboard, speed and accuracy using the typewriter, you will agree with me that it will be more easier and simpler using the computer keaboard. Its all about systematic progression. Although, it is always very difficult for students to cope with because many do not have good background in Business Studies which I think it's one of the reasons the ministry of Education is coming up with this idea. [/quotee
thank you my dear colleague, I also lecture this course in several colleges of education and people, even my students at the beginning keep wondering why this course is still relevant. but one thing people fail to understand is that apart from learning how to type at faster rate, typewriter will teach you how to process business correspondences in a raw way: how many spaces are to be within a line or paragraph and correct margin. come to think of it, the invention of calculator can never stop students to be taught how 2+2 equal to four by counting. in architectural world, the invention of various softwares for architecture designing cannot stop the use of pencil and slate.
plus typewriter is affordable, durable and efficient to manage for every average Nigeria school. if we abolish typewriter and replace with computer, I can bet you that the larger number of Nigeria schools could not afford it and the few that could afford it will not be able to sustain it; at. the end of everything, students will be left with nothing.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by greypencils: 12:13am On Oct 01, 2019
patorial:

U just disgraced your career, imagine your a teacher that should be petitioning for upgrades in school curriculum as things has changed a lot .

Maybe I should pity the pupils that you teach!
Seriously, you would expect teachers to be futuristic, this one is the creme de la creme of backwardness. So because it is in a curriculum, the curriculum can't be reviewed ba? Curriculum that was written in the 70's, this 'teacher' is still advocating for a curriculum drawn 50 years ago. Who does that?

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by WeRblessed(f): 12:20am On Oct 01, 2019
And tomorrow they will not be able to get a job because they cannot compete with today's advanced technology.

May God reward all of you that have educated your children in western schools and vow to set up Nigerians children up for failure.

Dont worry, because soon Dogs will share your dead bodies.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Arewa1408: 12:21am On Oct 01, 2019
midnighter:

But why cant you tell me 50 topics that we are aiming for in the future? why do we always have to be backward?

At Midnighter, its not about backwardness. Its our mindset and the way we look at things. Now, listen to this. We complain about the things we dont have and how backward we are not realizing we have not even perfected the ones we have very well, now when the new technology comes in, we cannot even adapt to it well. If you travel in USA major cities, like NYC or Chicago, the trains are all old school and archaic, but they work very well. Go and see the ones in China, the ones in USA is rubbish compared to the ones in China, however, they are well maintained in the USA and they work very well, period. We need to progressively embrace, use very well, whatever it is we have, then make sure we use it judiciously well and then move from it to newer technology. We are not even doing that.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 12:27am On Oct 01, 2019
Arewa1408:

At Midnighter, its not about backwardness. Its our mindset and the way we look at things. Now, listen to this. We complain about the things we dont have and how backward we are not realizing we have not even perfected the ones we have very well, now when the new technology comes in, we cannot even adapt to it well. If you travel in USA major cities, like NYC or Chicago, the trains are all old school and archaic, but they work very well. Go and see the ones in China, the ones in USA is rubbish compared to the ones in China, however, they are well maintained in the USA and they work very well, period. We need to progressively embrace, use very well, whatever it is we have, then make sure we use it judiciously well and then move from it to newer technology. We are not even doing that.

Yes, youre right but isnt that that another way of saying backward? or even backwardly backward? backward in our backwardness? Lol

if we dont perfect how to use a typewriter and the teacher said we should continue with it until Jesus returns, what do we do?
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Nobody: 12:50am On Oct 01, 2019
They still live under the impression that for you to have a mastery of the keyboard, you must be proficient with the typewriter's QWERTY interface.
Thus, their computer appreciation skills is only measured by their wpm (words per minute)
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:59am On Oct 01, 2019
Typewriters are still sold in the market. In the US they are brought for kids for learning. The BBC still reported about its use and impact for learning. I am not surprised since it is a lady that knows nothing is making up this topic
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Arewa1408: 1:08am On Oct 01, 2019
midnighter:

Yes, youre right but isnt that that another way of saying backward? or even backwardly backward? backward in our backwardness? Lol

if we dont perfect how to use a typewriter and the teacher said we should continue with it until Jesus returns, what do we do?

@Midnighter, I sent you a PM, to get your email address and tell you clearly what i am talking about based on my personal experience, cos i don't want to cast myself or reveal too much here. However, I was at an Information Security Conference in vegas some four months ago. This is a meeting of Information Security Managers and one of the participants in my team is from a lumber company in Colorado. I repeat a lumber company and i was amazed and blown away, you know why?..
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by nan1: 1:33am On Oct 01, 2019
There is nothing wrong in learning typewriting it's a subject under business studies just master your asdf;lkj keys and you are good to go I learnt it and I'm grateful to God I did
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 01, 2019
only in nigeria grin
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 01, 2019
osuofia2:
Attention seeker, type writer makes them learn typing fast

Very good point. Nigeria has no ingenuity in anything technological. So when computer becomes obsolete what then happens? Nigerians keep on jumping from ship to ship, all trying to form sophisticated and advanced.

Theyre lamenting 'typewriter in this day and age', but how many of them can build one? undecided

Even the ones that have computers, how many of them average 70 words per minute with it? undecided

Before the digital age, there was the industrial revolution age and this epoch saw the rise of a lot of mechanical tools, including this typewriter. Yet this is Nigeria that cannot even build one pencil factory.

Imagine a serious catacylsmic event occurred, like say a meteor hitting this earth, and wiping off Europeans and the West (and maybe the Chinese) from the world, I can assure you the remaining part of the world will retrogress completely into the stone age once again.

While admittedly, corruption and lack of foresight might have played a part in this contention, nevertheless it's no write-off.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by demzey(m): 1:49am On Oct 01, 2019
When I used to teach business studies, I will blatantly tell d students and head of studies that I don't know typewriter, and the last time I touched one was when I was in js3 like dem....and I will jejely skip dat week topic. They could jus put computer there cos I really wonder Wat typewriter is doing in our recent curriculum, even shorthand, who needs it wen u can type 'sop, afa, wer, 2, fb, idgaf, lwkmd etc'
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by exlinklodge: 1:54am On Oct 01, 2019
She forget say na Affidavit master dey rule Nigeria.

How him go take swear affidavit without typewriter?

No typewriter them dey use prepare affidavit docs now.

She be lawyer and she no know this one Ah ah, which kind lawyer she be self.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by 9gerian: 2:21am On Oct 01, 2019
So you mean the students learn using typewriters that are obsolete in business studies but do not learn with computers that are currently the tools for doing business technologically and efficiently?

Couldn’t the students be shown a typewriter and then compared with a computer that is then used to train and get them familiar with its huge impact on business. Or are we trying to raise dinosaurs?

It is not the teacher’s fault though but the educational system that is itself obsolete, misapplied and mostly irrelevant to economic development. The result is a population that is only literate but very deficient in productivity and innovation.

Education is the process of facilitating learning, or the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits. Educational methods include storytelling, discussion, teaching, training, and directed research.

No wonder successive governments continue to talk about achieving development but neglect the foundation- electricity power supply. More like building castles in the air.

Chithauri:
why shouldn't? its outdated doesn't mean those kids don't use and learn about it.To know what was once.besides thats the starting point of typesetting and word speed. as they grow old they find using the laptop easier.its not so irrelevant bro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by 9gerian: 2:27am On Oct 01, 2019
This approach is inadequate unless the students are trained on the use and impact of a computer!

oluemmakay:

Just like I said earlier, I lecture this subject as a course. This is how it works. We use the typewriters to build the student's Keyboarding skill from the scratch. Having learnt the mastery of the keyboard, speed and accuracy using the typewriter, you will agree with me that it will be more easier and simpler using the computer keaboard. Its all about systematic progression. Although, it is always very difficult for students to cope with because many do not have good background in Business Studies which I think it's one of the reasons the ministry of Education is coming up with this idea.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by JJOF(m): 2:30am On Oct 01, 2019
KingsArome:
This one na mumu, typewriter nd shorthand still be topic under business study. It all part of learning.

Also typewriter make learning hw to type more faster, if you discovered those people who learn typing with a typewriter, those people are more fast in typing job than we that learn with Mavis beacon using laptop.
This is an erroneous claim, like super duper erroneous.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by 9gerian: 2:33am On Oct 01, 2019
Typing is the least of what a computer is used for. That’s why the typewriter is no longer relevant because that (typing) is all it is used for!

Kalixx:

Very good point. Nigeria has no ingenuity in anything technological. So when computer becomes obsolete what then happens? Nigerians keep on jumping from ship to ship, all trying to form sophisticated and advanced.

Theyre lamenting 'typewriter in this day and age', but how many of them can build one? undecided

Even the ones that have computers, how many of them average 70 words per minute with it? undecided

Before the digital age, there was the industrial revolution age and this epoch saw the rise of a lot of mechanical tools, including this typewriter. Yet this is Nigeria that cannot even build one pencil factory.

Imagine a serious catacylsmic event occurred, like say a meteor hitting this earth, and wiping off Europeans and the West (and maybe the Chinese) from the world, I can assure you the remaining part of the world will retrogress completely into the stone age once again.

While admittedly, corruption and lack of foresight might have played a part in this contention, nevertheless it's no write-off.

2 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Nobody: 2:33am On Oct 01, 2019
Follow the money. Who owns the business renting typewriters to students?
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Nobody: 2:38am On Oct 01, 2019
Some of the comments here..

If youths can be defending this rubbish, this forcing of kids to learn obsolete and outdated and worthless skills, then no one should complain about university lecturers and 1970s textbooks.

The same way some schools push drawing board and tee square onto students.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by mmmnaija: 2:59am On Oct 01, 2019
osuofia2:
Attention seeker, type writer makes them learn typing fast

OGA TYPING TUTOR DEY FOR COMPUTER

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

DELSU Final Year Students Write Exam At Night With No Light / Protesting UNIBEN Students Shut Down Main Gate, Highway / World's Smallest Girl Starts School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.