Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out (24768 Views)

Ambrose Alli University Medical Students Forced To Sign An Undertaking / All Students Forced To Attend Daniel Kolenda Crusade In Ibadan, Muslims Kick / Ossai Osanebi Sends 500K To Stephanie Idolor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 10:52pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
I want to prepare lesson notes. I have no time for una rubbish. its under our syllabus and no knowlege is a waste. until it is removed we will continue to teach it.

There is no better lessons not u will prepare today than ur full participation here, remember you are a teacher and u have to give me enough reasons to let you handle the futures of my daughters

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 10:55pm On Sep 30, 2019
NUJABEZ:

You asked the question. I want to know why. Are you still typing with typewriters?

No I'm addicted to easy life, keyboards and screen makes life easier

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 10:58pm On Sep 30, 2019
patorial:

That it's still left in waec doesn't make it still relevant. Remember African leader have always had the bug in developments.
Are you a teacher?no so you have no idea what it means to be an educator. do you know better than waec. I will google American curriculum so you know they still do these topics.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by treasureboy09(m): 10:59pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
Nothing good comes easy this thing you are so much in a hurry to dispose off was invented thru hard work. let the kids get this knowledge, it will come in handy. Don't compared Nigeria with China please.
. No we should compare Nigeria with South Sudan........

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 10:59pm On Sep 30, 2019
NUJABEZ:

Your reasoning makes me sad. Yeah, continue teaching antiquated knowledge. I won't be surprised if you lack computer literacy seeing how you are fighting.
Don't GI there abeg.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by oluemmakay(m): 11:00pm On Sep 30, 2019
patorial:

I hope you know that the format in typewriter key settings is noW way different from that of keyboards

Just like I said earlier, I lecture this subject as a course. This is how it works. We use the typewriters to build the student's Keyboarding skill from the scratch. Having learnt the mastery of the keyboard, speed and accuracy using the typewriter, you will agree with me that it will be more easier and simpler using the computer keaboard. Its all about systematic progression. Although, it is always very difficult for students to cope with because many do not have good background in Business Studies which I think it's one of the reasons the ministry of Education is coming up with this idea.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 11:00pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
Are you a teacher?no so you have no idea what it means to be an educator. do you know better than waec. I will google American curriculum so you know they still do these topics.

Well still remember that the topic says that the students are being FORCED to learn the skill.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 11:00pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
in academics. A will bring a law, 200years later, B will come out with his own theory disproving A. 50 years later, C comes and say A and B are totally wrong. But why do we still study theory A and B?
you are even worst you want a separate subject for it. In basic 1,2 and 3 type writer is usually 3rd term. For 1 and 2 its the week 10 and 11, for basic 3 it week7,8,9, and 10. we don't dwell on it much for you to be advocating that we make it a subject. They learn about the keyboard in their computer studies.

I already answered your first question in my previous post

damn right i want a separate course for it because its a topic for extra study or particular interest of an adult somewhere who just likes old things, not for a growing child who has to compete with kids all over the world

well, if you say so. we are still using kerosene lamps and water-wells when those are the stuff of old war stories in other countries, so carry go...
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by NUJABEZ: 11:01pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
Don't GI there abeg.

Well, are you? Are you computer literate?
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 11:01pm On Sep 30, 2019
treasureboy09:
. No we should compare Nigeria with South Sudan........
not gonna respond. step away.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Jobabori(m): 11:02pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
I want to prepare lesson notes. I have no time for una rubbish. its under our syllabus and no knowlege is a waste. until it is removed we will continue to teach it.
God bless you. Those who are not in the classroom can only sound philosophical and Utopia. Classroom reality is far from them. Those who designed the syllabus understand the specific objectives to be achieved through the subject. But those who still viewed teaching as mere oral explaination will not understand. We teach from known to unknown, concrete to abstract, past to present, type writter to computer and so on.

2 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by treasureboy09(m): 11:02pm On Sep 30, 2019
midnighter:

So can you please help your colleague out and explain how it makes sense in 2019...we dont understand

Ok its more rigorous but very soon even keyboards will be on touchscreen so what does it matter...?
. Please don't break your head, I surprised to see people who support the kind of educational system in Nigeria, this is 2019 not 1988.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 30, 2019
You can't be sharing country with Taliban's and expect civilization

2 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 11:03pm On Sep 30, 2019
patorial:

Well still remember that the topic says that the students are being FORCED to learn the skill.
you were forced to come out from you mom for your own good. forced to school for your own good.if you say we force them. then yes, it is for their own good.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 11:04pm On Sep 30, 2019
oluemmakay:

Just like I said earlier, I lecture this subject as a course. This is how it works. We use the typewriters to build the student's Keyboarding skill from the scratch. Having learnt the mastery of the keyboard, speed and accuracy using the typewriter, you will agree with me that it will be more easier and simpler using the computer keaboard. Its all about systematic progression. Although, it is always very difficult for students to cope with because many do not have good background in Business Studies which I think it's one of the reasons the ministry of Education is coming up with this idea.

Why not in one pace, use the energy to teach them the keyboard method than Watching them have to crawl first before walking, while it's very certain that the kid can simply stand up and WALK.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 11:05pm On Sep 30, 2019
treasureboy09:
. Please don't break your head, I surprised to see people who support the kind of educational system in Nigeria, this is 2019 not 1988.

Theyre even the ones saying it, its very deplorable

Ok if you wash your clothes by hand, you will know how a washing machine does, and so?
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 11:07pm On Sep 30, 2019
Jobabori:

God bless you. Those who are not in the classroom can only sound philosophical and Utopia. Classroom reality is far from them. Those who designed the syllabus understand the specific objectives to be achieve. But those who still viewed teaching as mere oral explaination will not understand. We teach from known to unknown, concrete to abstract, past to present, type writter to computer and so on.
And you too bros. pay no attention to them. I blame government wey give all this riffraff mouth to condemn teachers. have we seen any teacher teaching a Doctor or a lawyer her job? lack of respect is really hurting me here. All what I've been trying to say you honestly put it here.God bless you bro.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 11:08pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
you were forced to come out from you mom for your own good. forced to school for your own good.if you say we force them. then yes, it is for their own good.

Yes forced me out of my parents hide that I am able to communicate with you now, that's way too good,

But what good do u intend by forcing me to learn typewriter when you clearly know that the future u prepare for me requires a keyboard
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Arewa1408: 11:09pm On Sep 30, 2019
midnighter:

But arent they supposed to have upgraded it to something else...like keyboard training...? like with an actual computer or some transcription equipment

Chithauri:
what u find irrelevant is relevant to others. typewriting is even a waec O'level subject.

@Chithauri, youre very correct. Most times we forget where we are coming from or what we actually need. In my opinion, if they can afford to have computers, then ofcourse, why not, however, if they don't have computers and they don't have typewriters, then tell me what will they be doing ? Back in the day of ASUU strike, i was a Computer Science student then in the Univ, My parents couldn't afford all those Computer schools then, but i wanted to learn how to type fast. I enrolled in a typewriting school in Obalende with those kpeke-kpeke typewriters. Yes, i felt out of place and the whole environment, fellow students, even the instructors all made me look like i didn't belong there. I was there for maybe only three days, but i cherished those "ASDF :LKJ spacebar" lessons i heard and i regretted quitting later on. Yes, later at work you have typing tutors etc however, if all you have is a typewriter and you type well with it, the transition to typing on a computer keyboard will be a breeze.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 11:10pm On Sep 30, 2019
midnighter:

I already answered your first question in my previous post

damn right i want a separate course for it because its a topic for extra study or particular interest of an adult somewhere who just likes old things, not for a growing child who has to compete with kids all over the world

well, if you say so. we are still using kerosene lamps and water-wells when those are the stuff of old war stories in other countries, so carry go...

baby girl, like I said. They all drop it when they get to Ss1. but the knowlege will be imprinted forever.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 11:12pm On Sep 30, 2019
Arewa1408:

@Chithauri, youre very correct. Most times we forget where we are coming from or what we actually need. In my opinion, if they can afford to have computers, then ofcourse, why not, however, if they don't have computers and they don't have typewriters, then tell me what will they be doing ? Back in the day of ASUU strike, i was a Computer Science student then in the Univ, My parents couldn't afford all those Computer schools then, but i wanted to learn how to type fast. I enrolled in a typewriting school in Obalende with those kpeke-kpeke typewriters. Yes, i felt out of place and the whole environment, fellow students, even the instructors all made me look like i didn't belong there. I was there for maybe only three days, but i cherished those "ASDF :LKJ spacebar" lessons i heard and i regretted quitting later on. Yes, later at work you have typing tutors etc however, if all you have is a typewriter and you type well with it, the transition to typing on a computer keyboard will be a breeze.

patorial, nujabez and the rest I can't reply you all. read this and jobabori response. you will get your answers...
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by oluemmakay(m): 11:12pm On Sep 30, 2019
patorial:

Why not in one pace, use the energy to teach them the keyboard method than Watching them have to crawl first before walking, while it's very certain that the kid can simply stand up and WALK.

It's a step-by-step thing. I have not seen where I child just stand up and walk without crawling. I don't know why this our generation is too much in a hurry to achieve everything within the space of light while ignoring the PROCESS.
You will be surprised to discover that students are more serious with typewriter class than Keyboarding class where we make use of the computer.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by treasureboy09(m): 11:13pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
not gonna respond. step away.
. Your response is not needed...
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 11:13pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
baby girl, like I said. They all drop it when they get to Ss1. but the knowlege will be imprinted forever.

no problem, well done.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 11:14pm On Sep 30, 2019
Jobabori:

God bless you. Those who are not in the classroom can only sound philosophical and Utopia. Classroom reality is far from them. Those who designed the syllabus understand the specific objectives to be achieved through the subject. But those who still viewed teaching as mere oral explaination will not understand. We teach from known to unknown, concrete to abstract, past to present, type writter to computer and so on.

Do u understand that these syllabus were originally adopted when it were still needed, I bet it has never been edited, that such thing still exist in the syllabus could be because the syllabus itself have not been edited
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 11:15pm On Sep 30, 2019
Arewa1408:

Well i can see the good aspects of it i just dont like it being taught to children who dont know any better. at least you made an active choice to go there for a particular reason

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by treasureboy09(m): 11:16pm On Sep 30, 2019
midnighter:

Theyre even the ones saying it, its very deplorable

Ok if you wash your clothes by hand, you will know how a washing machine does, and so?
. Lol if you wash your cloths by hand, you will know how a machine does, are you kidding?? If you are teaching these kids Microsoft word 2009, we understand they are been taught something relevant.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 11:18pm On Sep 30, 2019
Arewa1408:

All I could understand here is that the school can't afford a computer?
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 11:19pm On Sep 30, 2019
treasureboy09:
. Lol if you wash your cloths by hand, you will know how a machine does, are you kidding?? If you are teaching these kids Microsoft word 2009, we understand they are been taught something relevant.

The teacher said they teach them excel later on in advanced class, but i dont know what version it is
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Chithauri(m): 11:19pm On Sep 30, 2019
midnighter:

Well i can see the good aspects of it i just dont like it being taught to children who dont know any better. at least you made an active choice to go there for a particular reason
other than type writer I can tell you 50 other topics in different subject that are irrelevant as you all call it.I've enjoyed this argument and Im happy a few other guys are vouching for this including a computer scientist arewa1408.

Arewa1408. that's quite nice.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 11:21pm On Sep 30, 2019
Chithauri:
other than type writer I can tell you 50 other topics in different subject that are irrelevant as you all call it.I've enjoyed this argument and Im happy a few other guys are vouching for this including a computer scientist arewa1408.

Arewa1408. that's quite nice.

But why cant you tell me 50 topics that we are aiming for in the future? why do we always have to be backward?
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by patorial(m): 11:23pm On Sep 30, 2019
oluemmakay:

It's a step-by-step thing. I have not seen where I child just stand up and walk without crawling. I don't know why this our generation is too much in a hurry to achieve everything within the space of light while ignoring the PROCESS.
You will be surprised to discover that students are more serious with typewriter class than Keyboarding class where we make use of the computer.

The generation rushing to achieve everything has made advanced countries familiar with 5G network while we that are cool achieving it slowly are here renaming 2G networks

If something is possible why not make

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

DELSU Final Year Students Write Exam At Night With No Light / Protesting UNIBEN Students Shut Down Main Gate, Highway / World's Smallest Girl Starts School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.