Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out (24770 Views)

Ambrose Alli University Medical Students Forced To Sign An Undertaking / All Students Forced To Attend Daniel Kolenda Crusade In Ibadan, Muslims Kick / Ossai Osanebi Sends 500K To Stephanie Idolor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by JJOF(m): 3:01am On Oct 01, 2019
I don't understand why you want me to learn how to operate an archaic equipment for "knowledge sake", when I will not apply that knowledge in the real world (except maybe in a classroom, passing down that same archaic knowledge to others). That's one of the issues I have with education here. You force a student to learn typing with a typewriter, after he learns it, he still has to go learn how to use a computer to type and edit texts, isn't it better to just start straight up with a computer? I learnt typing with a computer, although I'm not fast and accurate(and it's not because I didn't start with a typewriter, but because I wasn't diligent in learning). If we are to go with what some of you are saying here, then I guess we will all be taught how to use an abacus to calculate, a sun dial to tell time, and all those other old stuffs that where used in the 20th century.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by mmmnaija: 3:25am On Oct 01, 2019
oluemmakay:

Just like I said earlier, I lecture this subject as a course. This is how it works. We use the typewriters to build the student's Keyboarding skill from the scratch. Having learnt the mastery of the keyboard, speed and accuracy using the typewriter, you will agree with me that it will be more easier and simpler using the computer keaboard. Its all about systematic progression. Although, it is always very difficult for students to cope with because many do not have good background in Business Studies which I think it's one of the reasons the ministry of Education is coming up with this idea.
R

THERE IS TYPING TUTOR SOFTWARE, https://www.typing.academy/typing-tutor/lessons BOTH ONLINE AND OFFLINE PACKAGES
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Nobody: 4:02am On Oct 01, 2019
9gerian:
Typing is the least of what a computer is used for. That’s why the typewriter is no longer relevant because that (typing) is all it is used for!

You are right bro. Its not like I dont know but I humbly agree.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by odaniel1(m): 6:03am On Oct 01, 2019
i was speaking with someone the other day abt how retrrogressive our educational methods are. At the time i learnt business studies in the early 2000s, we learnt in a typing pool-filled with typewriters. My school management gloated after dat typing pool. Both to school board administrators and Ministry of education officials. I was so young yet i knew we were making a big mistake. Why not a larger computer labs? No. That was way too advanced at the time for sec school curriculum. We are still taught old theories and obsolete nonsenses in our schools today. From tertiary level to basic level. Who will save us??

2 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Nobody: 6:13am On Oct 01, 2019
I'm laughing at Nigerians who are complaining about how obsolete the typewriters are....by extension they are also saying that their ministry of educaiton and the APC government is useless.

All true, very true.

But, here is the issue. Our national budget(education inclusive) was 9trillion naira this year. That's 24 billion dollars. Meanwhile, Canada spent 60billion dollars on primary education alone a few years ago. In one year.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Canada spent far more on education than Nigera did on everything.

And we are expecting computers for every student in every classroom on a budget for educaiton of less than $2billion dollars.

You know what that means? If we want to have a computer in every classroom...we must all pay taxes. Like Denmark, we must give the government half of our montly salaries in taxes so that our kids can have the privilege of a computer on every desk...and a host of other things.

Or we must start the hard and tough road to being an industrial nation...by removing subsides on petrol and power, which means that foreign investors will come in, make their profits in return for building up our refinereies and power sector....which we would use to fire our industries, and by extension develop an industrial sector that would be the envy of the wrold. And it is going to take decades to get there.

We are not earning enough from oil. And selling raw materials is not going to help matters, and returning to agriculture won't help us much(and why should we sell our raw materials to Western companies who would make profits from the thing that is ten to twenty times the income we earned from selling the raw materials in the first place).

If we want computers in every classroom....we have to stop fighting for oil money...yes.,not only the Hausas, but the Yorubas, Ibos, Ijaws etc....and use our hands to develop ourselves. That is how China developed. That is how we must develop. We are not a rich nation.

4 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by realestniggah: 6:16am On Oct 01, 2019
Chithauri:
I want to prepare lesson notes. I have no time for una rubbish. its under our syllabus and no knowlege is a waste. until it is removed we will continue to teach it.

Look what people are saying here is this.. Typewriter is obsolete in today's world.. The fact that it still in your syllabus makes it even sadder..there is no use using a type writer when there are such advanced things as keyboard and Microsoft Word. Your syllabus need to be updated. The world has moved on. Imagine going to the barber shop today to cut your hair and he bring out a razor blade and siscors to cut your hair simply because it does the same thing as a modern barbing clipper..how will you feel?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by jlo247(m): 6:21am On Oct 01, 2019
Typewriter is the best for the beginners because it serves as a check from copy and paste from their friend and deleting of their mistakes. If they were allowed to use computer the teacher won't be able to measure the level of achievement among the students

2 Likes

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by MYGRATEskillz(m): 6:31am On Oct 01, 2019
osuofia2:
Attention seeker, type writer makes them learn typing fast

Lol... Typing fast?
Irony AF
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by darlenese(f): 6:54am On Oct 01, 2019
asdf colon ljk

lol

madam relax how many of those parents van afford a computer , allow these kids to learn typing

it's just for speed and accuracy. shelps to speed up the words per minute .
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by treasureboy09(m): 7:06am On Oct 01, 2019
9jaRealist:

Our educational system is periodically upgraded...
The problem is less the "system" but more the PEOPLE operating it.

For the record, over the past couple of years Nigeria has been developing an educational curriculum that emphasizes STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics). Nigeria is developing that curriculum with the support of global players like MIT, Cisco, IBM and Oracle, a nationwide curriculum that incorporates 21st century STEAM thinking: coding, design skills, digital arts, robotics, machine learning, and so on.
>
. Sir, are you sure you are in Nigeria? no University in Nigeria does the aforementioned, let alone primary/secondary schools. But if there is any I did love you to clear my doubt by giving examples with names. Thanks.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by delishpot: 7:19am On Oct 01, 2019
bestman09:
grin
After learning with typewriter, the child will now go and compete with someone who learned with a Mac book

45 mins of using Typewriter will not impact negatively the child's skills in using a mack book. The child can be taught sane way he is taught to use the computer.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by sinkhole: 7:27am On Oct 01, 2019
Chithauri:
This lady is a fool.its not the fact whether the era of typewriter is gone or not. typewriting is a topic under business studies and they are to learn with it.let her check syllabus or scheme of work. even shorthand is still taught. I know what am saying because am a teacher.
Oga teacher, do you mean that typing can not be learnt on a computer, why do we have typing tutors on computers?
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by oluemmakay(m): 7:30am On Oct 01, 2019
mmmnaija:
R

THERE IS TYPING TUTOR SOFTWARE, https://www.typing.academy/typing-tutor/lessons BOTH ONLINE AND OFFLINE PACKAGES

The crop of learners we have today are so lazy and lackadaisical to learning. I have tried using Marvins Beacon Software but it didn't work.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by sinkhole: 7:31am On Oct 01, 2019
jlo247:
Typewriter is the best for the beginners because it serves as a check from copy and paste from their friend and deleting of their mistakes. If they were allowed to use computer the teacher won't be able to measure the level of achievement among the students
Sorry oo, have you ever used typing tutor before? The typing tutor takes care of measuring your typing achievement!
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by maj007(m): 7:34am On Oct 01, 2019
jlo247:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Ignorance is a major problem in Nigeria. We have so many educated illiterates in our midst.

"What people don't understand, they fear and what they fear they destroy". Nowadays, they run to social media to cry wolves.

I learnt typing with a typewriter. And I can say that the so called typing tutor is not the appropriate tool to teach keyboarding skills.

Strength build up in the fingers is very necessary to achieve dexterity when using a computer keyboard. Also, typewriter allows you to master looking away from the keyboard while typing. Once you hear the bell, you know where you are.

The teachers are, in fact, doing the right thing. SHIKENNA

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by sinkhole: 7:35am On Oct 01, 2019
oluemmakay:

The crop of learners we have today are so lazy and lackadaisical to learning. I have tried using Marvins Beacon Software but it didn't work.
This is a case of "pot calling kettle black", you can not stress yourself to understand Marvins Beacon because it is not analog and you are calling people who does not want to be stuck with analog lazy
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by DEWKID(m): 8:49am On Oct 01, 2019
lols, i used it from my jss1(2009) - jss3(2012) even uptil now we still use it in that my school, i really miss those day.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by delpee(f): 10:08am On Oct 01, 2019
Chithauri:
This lady is a fool.its not the fact whether the era of typewriter is gone or not. typewriting is a topic under business studies and they are to learn with it.let her check syllabus or scheme of work. even shorthand is still taught. I know what am saying because am a teacher.

The syllabus should be reviewed promptly! This is probably the reason why many school leavers are unemployable. The ability to use a computer is considered a basic requirement now.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Nettoyage(m): 10:32am On Oct 01, 2019
I don't think this is true. My son schools in a private school in Ibadan.There is no typewriter in his school and the school is registered to take the state examinations. Unless what she is saying applies to only public schools.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by DeRay98(m): 10:47am On Oct 01, 2019
TheShopKeeper:
...yet the ministry of education get billion of naira for funds...

All the ogas/madams in the ministries shares the money...
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by zamanii: 11:27am On Oct 01, 2019
emeijeh:
It's also got QWERTY keys.

Auntie relax

You forgot to add that it has a mouse, a screen and a big printer underneath too.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Stevosty: 11:51am On Oct 01, 2019
osuofia2:
Attention seeker, type writer makes them learn typing fast
Real ignorant attention seeker, he or she should go and check the typing speed of those who learn typing using typewriter on modern computers.

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by chiblaze07(m): 12:31pm On Oct 01, 2019
This is serious ooo!!

Meanwhile, this is TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN!!

To farmers especially and to those who want to start any form of agribusiness.

Topic: Different types of pig breeds suitable for pig farming business.

You may be wondering how many different types of pig breeds are available for pig farming business.

Really, you are not alone in this research.

Out of curiosity, I launched out to get details of as many pig breeds as I can find.

This article is the outcome of the research.

Having knowledge of the different pig breeds available will position you to make a better decision on what pig breed to rear.

Some pig breeds are best for ham and bacon, while others are for medical experiments.

There are some breeds which are very rare and there are others which are very rampant.

This article will expose you to a whole lot of different types of domestic pig breeds with their pictures.

Would you like to know about the individual characteristics of each of the pigs?

Leave a Comment on the website, and in the coming days, I will publish detailed information about each of the pig breeds.

Don’t forget to like and share this post.

Use the link below to read the full post.

Different types of pig breeds suitable for pig farming business.

Read more articles about pig farming business here.

Find more agribusiness ideas on Agro4africa

ELVISHOT:
A Nigerian lawyer, Edem Ossai, has raised concerns over what she describes as the Ministry of Education's insistence for secondary school students being taught Business studies to practice using Typewriters only.

Ossai who shared a video online where she spoke on the issue, said she was at an education summit in Oyo state last week where it was revealed that students learning Business studies in Nigeria are forced to learn using typewriters.

According to Ossai, secondary schools that wish to teach Business studies are compelled by the Ministry of Education to own typewriters before they can get accreditation. Ossai argued that the era of using typewriter is long gone and that students who are supposed to be the leaders of tomorrow should not be exposed to such archaic method of doing business.

''A most distressing subject was brought to my attention. Did you know that in Nigeria today, children learning Business studies in secondary school are forced to learn with the use of typewriters? Secondary schools that wish to teach Business studies, either private or public schools, to get accreditation to teach that subject, have to own typewriters. This is a cause for serious concern. Unless you have been in coma for several decades, you will be aware that typewrites have no place in the modern place of work. They have no place in businesses today'' she said

Ossai pointed out that from her findings, schools that do not have computers do not teach Business studies and schools that teach Business studies, rent typewriters for their students when the need arises.

Watch a video of her speaking passionately about this below

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3CkMy1AJNa/

Source: https://www.thenaijafame.com.ng/2019/09/nigerian-lawyer-edem-ossai-cries-out-as.html?m=1

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 1:07pm On Oct 01, 2019
Arewa1408:

@Midnighter, I sent you a PM, to get your email address and tell you clearly what i am talking about based on my personal experience, cos i don't want to cast myself or reveal too much here. However, I was at an Information Security Conference in vegas some four months ago. This is a meeting of Information Security Managers and one of the participants in my team is from a lumber company in Colorado. I repeat a lumber company and i was amazed and blown away, you know why?..

Why??
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by midnighter(f): 1:09pm On Oct 01, 2019
jlo247:

Interesting
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Semtu(m): 1:32pm On Oct 01, 2019
Chithauri:
I want to prepare lesson notes. I have no time for una rubbish. its under our syllabus and no knowlege is a waste. until it is removed we will continue to teach it.

Teachers like you end up producing students who can't cope in the modern world.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Semtu(m): 1:36pm On Oct 01, 2019
jlo247:

See Nigerians mentality sha.

Just for your information, there are countless typing softwares that can be used to train these students.

We have typing tutor, mavis beacon... But you still believe typewriter is the best?... Na why this country no dey move forward. In a sane country, typewriters will be kept in a museum.
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Igbodicool(m): 5:12pm On Oct 01, 2019
She should mind her profession and leave other people's profession for them.
Ntooooooo we will not change it; it's either you do Shorthand and Typewriting or you forget Business Studies.
WOMEN and busy body.
Proudly Business Educationist!
Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by dalass(f): 5:33pm On Oct 01, 2019
Chithauri:

You're the fool as a Teacher. Anything taught our innocent students must be in compliant with what obtains all over the world

1 Like

Re: Students Forced To Use Typewriters In Business Studies - Edem Ossai Cries Out by Sirwallace(m): 9:53pm On Oct 01, 2019
maj007:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Ignorance is a major problem in Nigeria. We have so many educated illiterates in our midst.

"What people don't understand, they fear and what they fear they destroy". Nowadays, they run to social media to cry wolves.

I learnt typing with a typewriter. And I can say that the so called typing tutor is not the appropriate tool to teach keyboarding skills.

Strength build up in the fingers is very necessary to achieve dexterity when using a computer keyboard. Also, typewriter allows you to master looking away from the keyboard while typing. Once you hear the bell, you know where you are.

The teachers are, in fact, doing the right thing. SHIKENNA

Bro, I know typist who had never used a typewriter and that look away typing with a speed of light.

So whats your point?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

DELSU Final Year Students Write Exam At Night With No Light / Protesting UNIBEN Students Shut Down Main Gate, Highway / World's Smallest Girl Starts School

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.