Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,106 members, 7,814,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Fela Supported Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fela Supported Biafra (12409 Views)

Fr Mbaka - I Never Supported Biafra / Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley / President Of France Charles Degaulle Supported Biafra Remarks He Made At A Press (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 10:00am On Nov 06, 2010
‘Fela was about Africa'

When I started relating with Fela in 1974, 1975, I said to him what you are saying should be in a book because this is important. He said no, he didn't want anything about a book. We were discussing with each other about how we could bring the whole continent together, how we could eliminate the borders, how we could have a federation. How we could break up these artificial countries. Because this thing called Nigeria, Ghana, Benin, Cameroun, it means nothing. It was done by the French, the Portugese, the Spanish and the other colonial powers.

It doesn't work. It has never worked and it can't work. It is dysfunctional. That is what we agreed on. That is why when Biafra tried to break away, I supported Biafra. Fela supported Biafra. A number of us supported Biafra, against the people who were talking about keeping Nigeria one. I never wanted to keep Nigeria one because Nigeria is an invention of the British. That's what Fela knew and we agreed on this. What we wanted to do was to break up all of these countries, these so called states. They are not nations.

Nigeria is not a nation. Nigeria is a conglomerate of nations pieced together by the British and forced to live in this arrangement. We knew that this was not a nation; that what we needed was regional federation. Like Nkrumah had said, we must have regional federation. That was the Pan-African dream. That is what Nkrumah, Lulumba, Biko, Sankara, all of these people fought for. That is why when Sankara took power, he called Fela. He is the only head of state who called Fela and sat and discussed with him because he understood what Fela wanted was exactly that, a Pan-African union. I am not interested in Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroun and Senegal. Those are colonial arrangements which are dysfunctional. That is what brought people like me and Fela together. We were more than political allies. We trusted each other so much that we were brothers.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/ArtsandCulture/5630757-147/story.csp

1 Like

Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 10:02am On Nov 06, 2010
I think I shall tone down my rhetoric concerning the Yoruba. Many children of Oduduwa supported Biafra and this cannot be forgotten my Igbo brethren.

My Igbo brothers and sisters, let us not paint the Yoruba people in one stroke. They are a dynamic people, with different views. My favorite Nigerian professor who is Yoruba supported Biafra as well.

Even though I hate Awolowo with a passion, I must say that there are good Yorubas who know the truth.

God bless them and I take back all the horrible things I have said concerning these wonderful people.

1 Like

Re: Fela Supported Biafra by ElRazur: 10:07am On Nov 06, 2010
So you hate people based on the fact of what tribe they are from?

You know a man once hated a lot of people on the basis of where they are from etc. His name was Hitler.

Do you not see anything wrong with your view point all along, but only after someone posted something about Fela supporting Biafra?

I won't say no more. lipsrsealed
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 06, 2010
Stop trippining.FELA never believed in western ideologies and since the union of  Nigeria is a product of the europeans,he never really like Nigeria as such.Look through his music,his messages are cleared.He was canvassing for the emancipation of the blacks from the europeans.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 10:10am On Nov 06, 2010
El razur, reread my post and see where I said hate, because I never said I hated another group.

I wish people like yourself can read properly. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. I had my prejudices, but everyone in this world has a prejudice. My anger is directed at Yorubas who deny the atrocities who were committed against the Ndi Igbo.

I have always stated that I have been a fan of Fela, Wole Soyinka and other Yoruba activist.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 10:12am On Nov 06, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Stop trippining.FELA never believed in western ideologies and since the union of  Nigeria is a product of the europeans,he never really like Nigeria as such.Look through his music,his messages are cleared.He was canvassing for the emancipation of the blacks from the europeans.

And that is why this man was ahead of his time. Fela spoke the truth. Africa will never progress unless we get out of these European made contraptions.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by okosodo: 10:15am On Nov 06, 2010
Every rational human does
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by ElRazur: 10:19am On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

El razur, reread my post and see where I said hate, because I never said I hated another group.

I wish people like yourself can read properly. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. I had my prejudices, but everyone in this world has a prejudice. My anger is directed at Yorubas who deny the atrocities who were committed against the Ndi Igbo.

I have always stated that I have been a fan of Fela, Wole Soyinka and other Yoruba activist.

Admittedly you did not use the word hate, however anyone with half a brain can see in between your lines.

Your anger should be directed at those people, not "at those Yorubas".  Clearly, your anger is misplaced. More than half of those people whom you despise so much are either dead or not around, but I guess it is convenient for you to direct your anger at "those yorubas" (as oppose to those people in question)

While I agree that a mind is a terrible thing to waste, I think having anger at a particular group or tribe like you have said in your post is nothing but an epitome of mind wasting to be honest.

Turning around to then say you love or like some Yorubas just goes to further highlight your misplaced anger (that is nothing but hatred)
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by chyz(m): 10:22am On Nov 06, 2010
ElRazur:

Admittedly you did not use the word hate, however anyone with half a brain can see in between your lines.

Your anger should be directed at those people, not "at those Yorubas".  Clearly, your anger is misplaced. More than half of those people whom you despise so much are either dead or not around, but I guess it is convenient for you to direct your anger at "those yorubas" (as oppose to those people in question)

While I agree it a mind is a terrible thing to waste, I think having anger at a particular group or tribe like you have said in your post is nothing but an epitome of mind wasting to be honest.

Turning around to then say you love or like some Yorubas just goes to further highlight your misplaced anger (that is nothing but hatred)

Live and Let live. Be gone!
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 10:24am On Nov 06, 2010
chyz:

Thank you!

I admit a mistake that I have been perpetuating and he wont let it go. The nerve of some people. As a man, I willing to admit my mistakes. However, I will not continue to defend it.

I said what I had to say concerning my misplaced views.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by ElRazur: 10:25am On Nov 06, 2010
chyz:

What a very valid point. Brimming with brilliance and intelligence. lipsrsealed

EzeUche0:

Thank you!

I admit a mistake that I have been perpetuating and he wont let it go. The nerve of some people. As a man, I willing to admit my mistakes. However, I will not continue to defend it.

I said what I had to say concerning my misplaced views.

It is depressing that it takes something written about Fela's view for your to see the error of your ways.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 10:28am On Nov 06, 2010
ElRazur:

It is depressing that it takes something written about Fela's view for your to see the error of your ways.

Who said that it was Fela's words? How do you know that I haven't been feeling this way, but I have found the right way to discuss my views?

As chyz [/b]said,[b] BE GONE. You will not get any fight from me. Not on this thread.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

And that is why this man was ahead of his time. Fela spoke the truth. Africa will never progress unless we get out of these European made contraptions.
I shared most of his views.the british occupation dragged us back but nevertheless all we need is to look back into the pre-colonial era,look at the problems of the past to address the future.The yoruba and benin kingdom used to have the best centralized system of government while the ibo which its diffused system had a liberal and egalitarian one.why can't learn from the glory of the past to solve the present problems,that's the essence of history.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

I shared most of his views.the british occupation dragged us back but nevertheless all we need is to look back into the pre-colonial era,look at the problems of the past to address the future.The yoruba and benin kingdom used to have the best centralized system of government while the ibo which its diffused system had a liberal and egalitarian one.why can't learn from the glory of the past to solve the present problems,that's the essence of history.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by ElRazur: 10:31am On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Who said that it was Fela's words? How do you know that I haven't been feeling this way, but I have found the right way to discuss my views?

As chyz [/b]said,[b] BE GONE. You will not get any fight from me. Not on this thread.

Clutching for straws, I see. undecided
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 10:35am On Nov 06, 2010
~Bluetooth:

"Shared" is past tense. So you do not share these views? I think people across Africa would not have these ethnic rivalries or squabbles if we had our own nations. That is my personal view. The real enemy is not our fellow African brothers and sisters, it is the European who continues to divide us. All across the continent, we have forsaken our history. It is actually quite sad. How can Africa progress, if we turned our backs on our customs and our history.

Have we forgot the greatness of the Oyo Empire? The strength of Great Benin? The culture of the Kanem-Bornu Empire? The Islamic scholarship of the Hausa States followed by the rise of the Sokoto Caliphate? We as Nigerians must go back to the source.

1 Like

Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Mobinga: 10:38am On Nov 06, 2010
You guys are actually taking this topic seriously? Shame
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

"Shared" is past tense. So you do not share these views? I think people across Africa would not have these ethnic rivalries or squabbles if we had our own nations. That is my personal view. The real enemy is not our fellow African brothers and sisters, it is the European who continues to divide us. All across the continent, we have forsaken our history. It is actually quite sad. How can Africa progress, if we turned our backs on our customs and our history.

Have we forgot the greatness of the Oyo Empire? The strength of Great Benin? The culture of the Kanem-Bornu Empire? The Islamic scholarship of the Hausa States followed by the rise of the Sokoto Caliphate? We as Nigerians must go back to the source.
We can't go back to the past.what we can only do is to learn from it ;how the pre-colonial age planned a successful political political system that works best for them.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by okosodo: 10:51am On Nov 06, 2010
Mobinga:

You guys are actually taking this topic seriously? Shame

Go and sleep
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by naijaking1: 11:00am On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Are you kidding me? Forsaking our history, when history is still repeating itself in Africa today as we speak. Go to Sudan, the supporters of APC are still using the marauding techniques perfected by that first rogue who set feet on Nigeria soil, you all remember Othman dan Fodio?
After killing his host the Hausa king of Gobir for "practicing impure form of islam", Fodio and his criminal gangs continued their raids across all Hausa, Nupe, and some Tiv lands, and almost into the south---killing pillaging, raping/stealing, and 'spreading islam' along the way.

Because Fodio is still glorified in certain quarters in Nigeria means the young people are encouraged to emulate him inside and outside of our boarders.
I can understand being invaded by a foreign power such as the Europeans, but to be raided by a cunning 'brotherly' visitor in the name of islam is just too bad.

We, and not foreigners are our own worst enemies, go ask the southern christian sudanese of today.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by monkeyleg: 11:18am On Nov 06, 2010
You guys are missing the point of this post. Ezeuche has acknowledge his failings and has duely apologised. That must be commended, that is a act which is lacking in the Nigerians society as a whole.

Perception remains a big problem in Nigeria, and most Nigerians are guilty of it including myself, we must work at understanding each other better.

I have an Igbo Friend who recently tried to rent a property in a highbrow area of modern day Lagos and was refused because he was Igbo by the Yoruba landlord. Should this really be allowed to happen in present day Nigeria, if we continue to preach one Nigeria.

So lest take it easy and see the positive side to this post.

Mazi Ezeuche, I celebrate your honestly, lets treat every individual as an individual not a tribe
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by SapeleGuy: 12:04pm On Nov 06, 2010
^^^ Elrazur is correct. He has not apologised, he has merely said he will tone down his hatred rhetoric against the Yoruba and perhaps the so called Eastern Minorities.

He has probably stumbled across Pan Africanism, when the novelty wears off, he will return to his xenophobic best.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by jason12345: 2:15pm On Nov 06, 2010
@ ezeuche

you have started becoming mature! grin. you cannot paint an ethnic group with on stroke so as the yorubas don't paint the igbos with one stroke. we humans are very dynamic and we think differently!!!!

you need to understand nigeria!!! we all know it was a mistake BUT we cannot split now! that would be the most stupid thing to happen to nigeria. why?

1) there are many intermarriages, where do we want those children to go?
2) even if we spilt, our various economies would be small to make any substantial impact in the world. so people would say uk is small bla bla bla> they do not understand that uk and this various countries are white dominated and do you think they would be willing to see a small economy in africa grow!!!

3)even if we form a loss confederation, it would only be a precursor to spilt the country eventually.

4) there can be no spliting in the CURRENT nigeria without a war.

for example
1) do you expect the yorubas to leave kwara state?

2) do you expect the igbos or the north to leave without the oil in the niger delta? etc

when two elephants are fighting, its the grasses that suffer

all in all, thank you for reasoning!!! wink
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

God bless them and I take back all the horrible things I have said concerning these wonderful people.

God bless you too. But just out of curiousity, what happened between:

Yesterday

The least your yeye people could do is stay out of a conflict between the Igbo and the Hausa. But like a weak people, you strike at a people when were not protecting our rear. That is the opportunistic nature of your people.

The children of Oduduwa are known betrayers. You all betrayed the Igbo, and now you all have betrayed the Hausa. Everyone in Nigeria knowns the depth that the Yoruba will sink to maintain at least a small bit of power.

You Yorubas were jealous of the Igbo prowess and could not wait to see us fall. But now we regained our former glory and are competing with you all in your own land. Now kiss my arse and tell me how it taste.

and

Today

I think I shall tone down my rhetoric concerning the Yoruba. Many children of Oduduwa supported Biafra and this cannot be forgotten my Igbo brethren.

My Igbo brothers and sisters, let us not paint the Yoruba people in one stroke. They are a dynamic people, with different views. My favorite Nigerian professor who is Yoruba supported Biafra as well.

Even though I hate Awolowo with a passion, I must say that there are good Yorubas who know the truth.

Re: Fela Supported Biafra by aljharem(m): 2:46pm On Nov 06, 2010
Aigbofa:

Yesterday

The least your yeye people could do is stay out of a conflict between the Igbo and the Hausa. But like a weak people, you strike at a people when were not protecting our rear. That is the opportunistic nature of your people.

The children of Oduduwa are known betrayers. You all betrayed the Igbo, and now you all have betrayed the Hausa. Everyone in Nigeria knowns the depth that the Yoruba will sink to maintain at least a small bit of power.

You Yorubas were jealous of the Igbo prowess and could not wait to see us fall. But now we regained our former glory and are competing with you all in your own land. Now kiss my arse and tell me how it taste.

and

Today

the igbo know haw to talk about us hausa

there dire not talk rubbish,
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by ElRazur: 3:42pm On Nov 06, 2010
Aigbofa:

Yesterday

and

Today

Do you mind posting a link of where he said those things.

From the onset I knew he was a tribal bigot and probably an admirer of Hitler.

Anyone with half a brain can see that his original post was nothing more than rubbish.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by jaygetta(m): 4:07pm On Nov 06, 2010
All I could say about the article was "WOw!".
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 06, 2010
jason12345:

@ ezeuche

you have started becoming mature! grin.
WE'll take that as a compliment, it was a hard work, but I wont give up wink

alj harem:

the igbo know haw to talk about us hausa

there dire not talk rubbish,
Seriously tho, how old are you? [no offense].

You and your blood thirsty Hausa sha undecided
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by jason12345: 4:54pm On Nov 06, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

WE'll take that as a compliment, it was a hard work, but I wont give up wink

you tried! wink i must commend you wink
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by cap28: 5:22pm On Nov 06, 2010
Ezeuche thanks for posting this very uplifting post. Knowledge is essential to the evolution of mankind, i have always loved Fela and his message, just like Carlos Moore i too was electrified by Fela's music when i first heard it many years ago. To date there has never been any african artiste greater than Fela and going by the current crop of fake talentless imbeciles masquerading as musicians on the nigerian music scene it will be a long time before another star with the same originality, genius and outstanding talent as Fela will arise, even his sons Femi and Seun whom i love and respect can not hold a candle to Fela's gargantuan genius.

What i find really tragic though is that Fela seems to be revered and respected more by foreigners rather than his own people, this is the problem we will continue to have as a people, Fela used his music to enlighten and educate the nigerian masses about the tyranny that we remain under to date. In one of his songs "look and laugh" he got to a point where he was so disillusioned with the nigerian masses and our unwillingness to change our situation that he became resigned to the situation himself. Even when soldiers stormed his house killing and maiming innocent people, noone stood up to protest against such a heinous act, if such a thing had occurred in a latin american country or even south africa the people would have risen up to challenge the brutality of this action but instead what we got was cowed silence from a population of over 150 million people, a people who have the nerve to describe nigeria as the giant of africa without even a hint of irony!!!

Fela was one of the greatest things that ever happened to nigeria and he will go down in history as one of our greatest heroes, i am so grateful for people like Carlos Moore who recognised the genius of this man and took it upon themselves to place the need for truth, honesty and justice above personal gain. You can see that even a co opted member of the nigerian establishment - the inspector general of police at the time had to respect Carlos Moore for his principled conduct, how many nigerian journalists would opt for truth and justice over personal gain?

I am really looking forward to reading this book and i shall be trawling amazon to see if i can find it, again thanks for this Ezeuche.

1 Like

Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 5:28pm On Nov 06, 2010
cap28,

I agree with you whole-heartedly. The whole world recognizes Fela as a great man. He had his shortcomings, but his music transcended it all! It is a shame that many Nigerians could not learn from his songs.

I heard that there was a play on Broadway about Fela.

The New York Times did a wonderful article on the play.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/theater/22fela.html

That man was ahead of his time.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 5:31pm On Nov 06, 2010
Aigbofa,

I had an epiphany of sorts. In my defense of my people, I should not have belittled other groups. There are other ways to achieve my purpose without resorting to tribal bashing.

It actually pained me, because how can I reconcile my post with my love for many aspects of Yoruba culture and people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Konduga In Borno State Under Attack? / FG To Build Ranches, Grazing Reserves For Fulani Herdsmen Across Nigeria – SGF / You Are Desperate – Lai Mohammed Blasts Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.