Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Fela Supported Biafra - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fela Supported Biafra (12440 Views)

Fr Mbaka - I Never Supported Biafra / Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley / President Of France Charles Degaulle Supported Biafra Remarks He Made At A Press (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 7:26pm On Nov 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Do you know who or what Banjo is? Banjo is the equivalent of Michael Steele, or any of these black Republicans. Guys like him are political tools, and are never supported by their own people.

Heck, if a white man wanted to start a "Enslave Yorubaland" party, he could very likely find a foolish Yoruba and pay him lots of money to be its figurehead.

Don't bring up Banjo and use him to justify invading West, unless you can also prove that he had the support of the Yoruba consensus. By and large, I've very rarely seen the Yoruba consensus get something wrong. If they say something is wrong, they are usually correct.

Interesting that you compared him to Michael Steele. I actually met Michael Steele. He is a nice Catholic man. Just because he is a Republican, Black Americans see him as a "Uncle Tom," which is foolish. But that is for another debate.

And now many Yorubas are complaining about Nigeria. Banjo tried to free you all, but was treated as an outsider. I am pretty sure Banjo is smiling now in death, knowing that he has been redeemed. I don't want to sound tribalistic by this post, but I do not want to hear any Yoruba complaining about Nigeria. You all had your chance, but you chose to stay. That is way I feel about it.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Dede1(m): 7:26pm On Nov 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Quote from: Wikipedia

The Nigerian government launched a "police action" to retake the secessionist territory. The war began on 6 July 1967 when Nigerian Federal troops advanced in two columns into Biafra. The Nigerian army offensive was through the north of Biafra led by Colonel Shuwa and the local military units were formed as the 1st Infantry Division. The division was led mostly by northern officers. After facing unexpectedly fierce resistance and high casualties, the right-hand Nigerian column advanced on the town of Nsukka which fell on 14 July, while the left-hand column made for Garkem, which was captured on 12 July. At this stage of the war, the other regions of Nigeria (the West and Mid-West) still considered the war as a confrontation between the north (mainly Hausas) against the east (mainly Igbos)[citation needed]. But the Biafrans responded with an offensive of their own when, on 9 August, the Biafran forces moved west into the Mid-Western Nigerian region across the Niger river, passing through Benin City, until they were stopped at Ore (in present day Ondo State) just over the state boundary on 21 August, just 130 miles east of the Nigerian capital of Lagos. The Biafran attack was led by Lt. Col. Banjo, a Yoruba, with the Biafran rank of brigadier. The attack met little resistance and the Mid-West was easily taken over. This was due to the pre-secession arrangement that all soldiers should return to their regions to stop the spate of killings, in which Igbo soldiers had been major victims[7][10].The Nigerian soldiers that were supposed to defend the Mid-West state were mostly Mid-West Igbo and while some were in touch with their eastern counterparts, others resisted. General Gowon responded by asking Colonel Murtala Mohammed (who later became head of state in 1975) to form another division (the 2nd Infantry Division) to expel the Biafrans from the Mid-West, as well as defend the West side and attack Biafra from the West as well. As Nigerian forces retook the Mid-West, the Biafran military administrator declared the Republic of Benin on 19 September.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafran_War#Breakaway

Is my understanding of events wrong? Please correct it if so. If my understanding is fine, then the Igbo send an army led by Banjo all the way up to Ondo State. You guys captured Benin, as well.

Even a slowpoke can discern above post as an illogical piece of conjectural crap. I can not believe anybody who had access to free air will post this nonsense in support of an argument. Anyway, sometimes wiki is fool’s delight.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Basseti: 7:28pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Interesting that you compared him to Michael Steele. I actually met Michael Steele. He is a nice Catholic man. Just because he is a Republican, Black Americans see him as a "Uncle Tom," which is foolish. But that is for another debate.

I really dont take Michael Steele seriously for some reason grin And most importantly, the republican caucus dont take him seriously, so lets leave Mikey out of this thread cheesy
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by jason12345: 7:29pm On Nov 06, 2010
chyz:

When he said East of the river he meant Igbo, and yes there are Igbos from Benue State.We called Wawa people.
chyz:

Jason you have been getting very tribalistic(in a bad way) lately. Not good. O and you and I both know the Igbos wouldnt have done worse. Are you suggesting Ojukwu would have suggested starvation? HIGHLY unlikely. These are the same people YOU said were very truthful.Obviously we must have high morals.

sorry if i appear to be a tribalist. but it is the insensitivity of some biafrans that startles me!! ojukwu might not have done worse but my people in the west would have been devastated. i would never justify what awo did!! you cannot starve civilians because of a war, but then, he did not have an army!!! what do you expect him to do as the biafran army were invading??

in a war there always two sides to the story, why i am talking like this is, they did not appreciate what might have happened to the yoruba nation, itsekiri nation and the benin nation during the invasion or "liberation"". do you know that women and children (innocent civilians) were killed during the so called "liberation"?? i have also appreciated the fact that what awo did was wrong but biafrans would not apreiciated that what ojukwu did against the people he tried to "liberate" was wrong. non of their actions can be justified
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by DapoBear(m): 7:29pm On Nov 06, 2010
chyz:

What is meant by the bolded?

Chyz, let's be realistic. If you Igbo want to secede, and you only take your 5 core Igbo states with you, you'll have created a state doomed to fail (well, let me not say doomed, but with a much smaller probability of succeeding.) Landlocked from the sea, not much economic activity within its borders. So your primary hope is to grab a significant portions of Delta and Rivers.

At least, if I were a Biafran, this is what I'd be trying to do.

So do you see the issue here? Biafra cannot come to be without taking parts of the country that are not considered core Igbo. Personally though, if you can convince Rivers to follow you, I have no problem, no skin off my back. I just don't think the Ikwerre Igbos are very likely to want to roll with you. Why share their money with you, basically? What incentive do they have?

If you can take Rivers though, I think Biafra could be a strong country.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by seanet02: 7:30pm On Nov 06, 2010
Dede1:

Even a slowpoke can discern above post as an illogical piece of conjectural crap. I can not believe anybody who had access to free air will post this nonsense in support of an argument. Anyway, sometimes wiki is fool’s delight.
dede stop being foolish, The Only slowpoke here is
You Look at the Mirror!!!!!!!!
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 7:31pm On Nov 06, 2010
Basseti:

I really dont take Michael Steele seriously for some reason  grin  And most importantly, the republican caucus dont take him seriously, so lets leave Mikey out of this thread  cheesy

We can discuss the situation of the black Republicans. Remember it was Republican Party that freed the slaves. The party of Lincoln still has those roots.  cheesy

I actually agree with many aspects of the Republican Party. I would consider myself a conservative.  cool

That is another discussion. Let us stay on topic o!
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 7:33pm On Nov 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Chyz, let's be realistic. If you Igbo want to secede, and you only take your 5 core Igbo states with you, you'll have created a state doomed to fail (well, let me not say doomed, but with a much smaller probability of succeeding.) Landlocked from the sea, not much economic activity within its borders. So your primary hope is to grab a significant portions of Delta and Rivers.

So do you see the issue here? Biafra cannot come to be without taking parts of the country that are not considered core Igbo. Personally though, if you can convince Rivers to follow you, I have no problem, no skin off my back. I just don't think the Ikwerre Igbos are very likely to want to roll with you. Why share their money with you, basically? What incentive do they have?

Biafra's only problem was some Ijaw and the Annang. That is it. Ogoni were stalwarts of Biafra, Ibibios/Efik fought on behalf of Biafra.

Biafra would not just include the 5 core Igbo states. It would include parts of Delta State, most of Rivers State, Akwa Ibom and Cross River State. And some parts of Kogi and Benu state where native Igbo populations reside.

I always wondered about the Idoma, but that is for another thread. Many Idoma bear Igbo names and vice versa. And southern Idoma language is very similar to Northern Igbo dialects.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by DapoBear(m): 7:34pm On Nov 06, 2010
seanet02:

we thank god for providing us with people like awo

Pretty much. If there had been no Awo, would my father have gone to college? If he hadn't, then he wouldn't have met my mother. I wouldn't even exist if it were not for Awo.

If he had chosen differently during the Civil War, maybe Yorubaland would be under Igbo domination now. Or destroyed by the Nigerian (i.e., Hausa) army in a failed bid to support Biafra.

God bless Awolowo.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by jason12345: 7:35pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

And now many Yorubas are complaining about Nigeria. Banjo tried to free you all, but was treated as an outsider. I am pretty sure Banjo is smiling now in death, knowing that he has been redeemed. I don't want to sound tribalistic by this post, but I do not want to hear any Yoruba complaining about Nigeria. You all had your chance, but you chose to stay. That is way I feel about it.

so you want us to leave nigeria and become a minority in your biafra?? what would then be the difference in nigeria and biafra? you have to understand that for biafra to succeed it has to occupy and take over some of the land that does not belong to biafrans
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by seanet02: 7:36pm On Nov 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Pretty much. If there had been no Awo, would my father have gone to college? If he hadn't, then he wouldn't have met my mother. I wouldn't even exist if it were not for Awo.

If he had chosen differently during the Civil War, maybe Yorubaland would be under Igbo domination now. Or destroyed by the Nigerian (i.e., Hausa) army in a failed bid to support Biafra.

God bless Awolowo.
AMEN, AMIN, HE GO BE SO

Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Basseti: 7:37pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

We can discuss the situation of the black Republicans. Remember it was Republican Party that freed the slaves. The party of Lincoln still has those roots.  cheesy

I actually agree with many aspects of the Republican Party. I would consider myself a conservative.  cool

That is another discussion. Let us stay on topic o!

Same dudes that implemented the "scare whitey" tactics , well like u said , lets stay on point
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by DapoBear(m): 7:39pm On Nov 06, 2010
Wait, Awolowo committed suicide? That is unfortunate, if true.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by chyz(m): 7:41pm On Nov 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Im still trying to understand what that has to do with you. the 5 "core"Igbo state, im not sure what you mean by "Core"Igbo, anyways is different that what Ndigbo want. Imo, Anambra,Ebonyi, Enugwu, and Abia is not "Ndigbo" they are states. Ndigbo is a people. So im still not understanding your argument are you saying "grab" as in yorubas trying to "grab" kwara and "grab" kogi into Oduduwa republic? come on make some sense to me im not getting you reasoning.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Dede1(m): 7:41pm On Nov 06, 2010
seanet02:

dede stop being foolish, The Only slowpoke here is
You Look at the Mirror!!!!!!!!

I guess you have looked at the mirror and saw nothing but a moronic imbe.cile.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by chyz(m): 7:42pm On Nov 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Wait, Awolowo committed suicide? That is unfortunate, if true.

Go read and find out what lead to it. But his death is besides the point.Leave it alone.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 7:42pm On Nov 06, 2010
jason12345:

so you want us to leave nigeria and become a minority in your biafra?? what would then be the difference in nigeria and biafra? you have to understand that for biafra to succeed it has to occupy and take over some of the land that does not belong to biafrans

Why would Yoruba become a minority in Biafra?   Yoruba population is larger than Igbo population by a few million I believe. Frankly, I would want the Yorubas have their own Odua nation. But make sure that Lagos belongs to the Bini people. grin

Biafra could succeed even if it was landlocked. Look at tiny little Switzerland. Or even Singapore. Actually, smaller populations is easier to manage.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by DapoBear(m): 7:43pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Biafra's only problem was some Ijaw and the Annang. That is it. Ogoni were stalwarts of Biafra, Ibibios/Efik fought on behalf of Biafra.

Biafra would not just include the 5 core Igbo states. It would include parts of Delta State, most of Rivers State, Akwa Ibom and Cross River State. And some parts of Kogi and Benu state where native Igbo populations reside.

I always wondered about the Idoma, but that is for another thread. Many Idoma bear Igbo names and vice versa. And southern Idoma language is very similar to Northern Igbo dialects.

Honestly, whoever you can convince to join Biafra in a fair poll supervised by some suitable external organization (e.g., the United Nations), find by me.

I'm not trying to restrict your shine, if you can convince the entire South-South to join you, more power to you.

Just don't try to do it by force, or through warfare. And of course, don't go trying to claim Lagos, or any part of Yorubaland. If you don't do those things, then we don't have any beef.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 7:46pm On Nov 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Honestly, whoever you can convince to join Biafra in a fair poll supervised by some suitable external organization (e.g., the United Nations), find by me.

I'm not trying to restrict your shine, if you can convince the entire South-South to join you, more power to you.

Just don't try to do it by force, or through warfare. And of course, don't go trying to claim Lagos, or any part of Yorubaland. If you don't do those things, then we don't have any beef.

Well if many people in Nigeria share this point of view, then Nigeria would be a better place.

We Igbos are not a forceful people. We are very egalitarian by nature. That is why we say "Igbo enwe eze." We Igbos have no kings.

Remember Lagos is not Yorubaland. It was founded by the people of the former Benin Empire. lol
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by DapoBear(m): 7:48pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Banjo is, was and always will be a collaborationist dog. He is the type of demon Yorubaland has been plagued with throughout our history, a man who would sell out his people to our rivals or enemies. Afonja, Banjo, what difference is there between the two?

I don't know why we always do this, it really pisses me off. Some of these guys don't think through their actions thoroughly enough, I guess.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by jason12345: 7:48pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Why would Yoruba become a minority in Biafra?   Yoruba population is larger than Igbo population by a few million I believe. Frankly, I would want the Yorubas have their own Odua nation. But make sure that Lagos belongs to the Bini people.  grin

Biafra could succeed even if it was landlocked. Look at tiny little Switzerland. Or even Singapore. Actually, smaller populations is easier to manage.

all the political positions would be filled by igbos and you cannot deny that!!! we would be marginalised in biafra. it would ust be a mini nigeria with the east acting as the north in present nigeria!!!!

bini people and yorubas can never fight!!! we have a common ancestry to the yorubas!!! at the worst scenario, we would dialogue! cool
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by DapoBear(m): 7:52pm On Nov 06, 2010
chyz:

Im still trying to understand what that has to do with you. the 5 "core"Igbo state, im not sure what you mean by "Core"Igbo, anyways is different that what Ndigbo want. Imo, Anambra,Ebonyi, Enugwu, and Abia is not "Ndigbo" they are states. Ndigbo is a people. So im still not understanding your argument are you saying "grab" as in yorubas trying to "grab" kwara and "grab" kogi into Oduduwa republic? come on make some sense to me im not getting you reasoning.

Fair point. "Grab" I guess is controversial language. It is no secret that ideally I'd want Kwara and Western Kogi state in Yorubaland. Neither of these two regions are considered currently part of the Southwest.

Hrm, perhaps it is bias against the Igbo that causes your own aspiration to incorporate your kin in other regions into Igboland? I don't know. Though you must admit that if we Yoruba constantly talked about incorporating Warri somehow because of the Itsekiri, it would seem like a "landgrab." Are the Iwerri likely to join you guys, if they were given the option?
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 7:53pm On Nov 06, 2010
jason12345:

all the political positions would be filled by igbos and you cannot deny that!!! we would be marginalised in biafra. it would ust be a mini nigeria with the east acting as the north in present nigeria!!!!

bini people and yorubas can never fight!!! we have a common ancestry to the yorubas!!! at the worst scenario, we would dialogue! cool

jason12345,

I would suggest you learn about the history about why the Mid-West region was created as someone suggested. So now you are Bini? I thought you were Itsekiri? lol

And I think you are a participant of this Igbophobia, which is rampant in this nation unfortunately.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by DapoBear(m): 7:57pm On Nov 06, 2010
Well, I don't think anyone really fears the Igbo in this country except for maybe some Delta minorities who don't like them moving en masse down there. But I don't think we Yoruba fear them, for example. A healthy (or unhealthy, depending on the perspective) rivalry with another group isn't fear.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 7:58pm On Nov 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Fair point. "Grab" I guess is controversial language. It is no secret that ideally I'd want Kwara and Western Kogi state in Yorubaland. Neither of these two regions are considered currently part of the Southwest.

Hrm, perhaps it is bias against the Igbo that causes your own aspiration to incorporate your kin in other regions into Igboland? I don't know. Though you must admit that if we Yoruba constantly talked about incorporating Warri somehow because of the Itsekiri, it would seem like a "landgrab." Are the Iwerri likely to join you guys, if they were given the option?

Now you are understanding the Igbo point of view. Don't you want to unite all Yoruba-speaking people? We Igbos have that same view.

We wish to unite with our brethren in Benue State, Delta State, Kogi State, Cross River State and Rivers State.

I have never hid my desire for a united Igboland. Igboland doesn't stop at the River Niger.

Re: Fela Supported Biafra by jason12345: 7:58pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

jason12345,

I would suggest you learn about the history about why the Mid-West region was created as someone suggested. So now you are Bini? I thought you were Itsekiri? lol

And I think you are a participant of this Igbophobia, which is rampant in this nation unfortunately.

i know what you mean (mid west)! i never said the bini would join the yorubas (yes i said we because itsekiri was part of the bini empire) all i said was that the bini would not attack the yorubas and vis versa.

pls, i do not have igbophobia, what have i said to warrant the igbophobia statement  i was simply tell you that yorubas would have been marginalised in biafra.  cool
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by DapoBear(m): 8:00pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Remember Lagos is not Yorubaland. It was founded by the people of the former Benin Empire. lol

That is the lovely thing about demographics, though. North America was not founded by the white man, but is part of his territory now. If you have enough people move en masse to a region, you can make it your own. Lagos is ours now, regardless of whether it was so in the past.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by aljharem(m): 8:01pm On Nov 06, 2010
what kwara
what kogi

hmmmm so yoruba and igbos want to take kwara and kogi which are northern states

lets see u try it
angry angry angry angry
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by chyz(m): 8:02pm On Nov 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Yes they are, most of them see themselves as igbo.They are very clannish though.There is nothing that will stop them from going with other Igbos. They make up Ohanaeze as well and and Ikwere son is Vice President of Ohanaeze. You should read about who the who Ikwerre thing came about. They were force forced by the nigerian government(although many of them didnt abide) to drop their "Igbo" ethnic title and stick to their "Ikwerre"clan title and also make that their new ethnic title. Nigerian government told them if they refused that they will not accept them into the federal side and instead regard them as Biafrans and not give them any types of regards and also they would killed them and give the rest of their land to the Ijaws.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 8:03pm On Nov 06, 2010
DapoBear:

That is the lovely thing about demographics, though. North America was not founded by the white man, but is part of his territory now. If you have enough people move en masse to a region, you can make it your own. Lagos is ours now, regardless of whether it was so in the past.

If we go by that thinking, than Igboland is much larger than the map I uploaded portrays!  shocked

Now let me give you a what-if scenario. If Lagos becomes 80% Igbo, would that make it Igboland. By that line of thinking of yours, that would mean it is part of Alaigbo.  grin
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by DapoBear(m): 8:04pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Now you are understanding the Igbo point of view. Don't you want to unite all Yoruba-speaking people? We Igbos have that same view.

We wish to unite with our brethren in Benue State, Delta State, Kogi State, Cross River State and Rivers State.

I have never hid my desire for a united Igboland. Igboland doesn't stop at the River Niger.

I would, yes. But the thing is, the people you want to unite with also have a say. For example, our homies in the Benin Republic and Togo probably don't want to enter political union. And Kwara might decide for whatever reason to join the north (though I would be VERY suspicious of the results of any such poll unless it were supervised by some trusted international body).

I'm content with rolling with the states we currently have, if necessary.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by DapoBear(m): 8:08pm On Nov 06, 2010
alj harem:

what kwara
what kogi

hmmmm so yoruba and igbos want to take kwara and kogi which are northern states

lets see u try it
angry angry angry angry

Kwara is unfinished business. It might be 50 years from now when we regain it, it might be 5000 years. But so long as the Yoruba live, we will never forget the loss of that region. And Western Kogi has always been Yoruba.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Need Access To Herbal Medicine - Jolly Nyame Begs Court For Bail / Kano APC To Tribunal: NNPP Has No Candidate | Declare Gawuna Governor-Elect / NASS Principal Officers: Tension As Competing Camps Await Tinubu, APC’s Nod

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.