Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,725 members, 7,827,637 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child (53323 Views)

Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building / Man Dedicates His Soul To Satan On Facebook, Vows To Initiate Christians / Bishop Oyedepo Dedicates Winners' Chapel VGC, Lagos, Built By A Single Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child by Alexaonfleek: 1:38am On Oct 15, 2019
midnighter:

Are you talking about recently or the origin of Protestantism? The Catholic church was unsuitable for some people because of its endemic corruption and elitism, thats why they created the Anglican church
Im talking about of recent.you see some people leaving the Catholic church to set up their own churches just to make money,as if being a pastor is now majorly for the money.tho some people who leave do so out of confusion too

As for the origin of Protestants it dates back to the 16th century,which is a story for another day,tho it contributes to the major differences between Catholics and Protestants.

And as for the Anglican Church too,it's a story for another day too.tho the gist of why the Anglican Church was created had something to do with the fact that the Catholic church didn't allow a man to divorce his wife
Re: Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child by midnighter(f): 1:50am On Oct 15, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
I'm talking about the origin.if you know a bit about history,Protestant churches are dated to the 16th century,Martin Luther being the trigger.he gathered a group of followers who protested (hence the name protestant churches)against the teachings of the Catholic church.the Catholic church was never corrupt,only the people in it.
As for the Anglican Church,it's a story on its own.

I don't have the energy to type the full story here,if you want to know what happened you can send me a pm or use google

Lol we learned about this thing in school so many years ago... the Catholic church (or the people in it) used to make people pay for their prayers, only recited the bible in Latin and only appointed people to the priesthood if they could pay a lot of money ... all kinds of stuff.. thats why people got annoyed and left

Though I admit that the Anglican church had a bad start because of the way Henry VIII used it to get a divorce, a lot of good stuff still came out of it later on down the line
Re: Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child by Alexaonfleek: 2:00am On Oct 15, 2019
midnighter:

Lol we learned about this thing in school so many years ago... the Catholic church (or the people in it) used to make people pay for their prayers, only recited the bible in Latin and only appointed people to the priesthood if they could pay a lot of money ... all kinds of stuff.. thats why people got annoyed and left
nope.ive never heard about that,that wasn't why the Protestant churches started.its possible that some selfish people in the Catholic church did what you mentioned,but it was quickly abolished and people found guilty of corruption were stripped from their title.

The origin of Protestants like I said started with Marin Luther,he was a monk in the Catholic church who for some reasons disagreed with some of the teachings of the Catholic church,like the belief that mother Mary was concieved without original sin,the belief of purgatory,the fact that priests should remain celibate amongst many others.like I said,the reasons for the split up account for the differences between the Catholics and Protestants
Re: Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child by midnighter(f): 2:05am On Oct 15, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
nope.ive never heard about that,that wasn't why the Protestant churches started.its possible that some selfish people in the Catholic church did what you mentioned,but it was quickly abolished and people found guilty of corruption were stripped from their title.

The origin of Protestants like I said started with Marin Luther,he was a monk in the Catholic church who for some reasons disagreed with some of the teachings of the Catholic church,like the belief that mother Mary was concieved without original sin,the belief of purgatory,the fact that priests should remain celibate amongst many others.like I said,the reasons for the split up account for the differences between the Catholics and Protestants

Yeah that Martin Luther started it because of those reasons I listed..you can go and read it, ive been hearing this since I was like 12

Corruption was rife in the church which is what caused the Reformation. Then there were also doctrinal differences that you mentioned
Re: Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child by Alexaonfleek: 2:17am On Oct 15, 2019
midnighter:

Yeah that Martin Luther started it because of those reasons I listed..you can go and read it, ive been hearing this since I was like 12

Corruption was rife in the church which is what caused the Reformation. Then there were also doctrinal differences that you mentioned
Martin Luther felt the Catholic church had too much power,remember back then church positions were intertwined with government,practically,anything the church said then was legal law,not the way it is now.

Yes,I do agree with the fact due to the much power the Catholic Church had then,it caused some individuals to be corrupt,but you make it seem like it's the whole of Catholic church that was corrupt.it was only some corrupt bishops in power that were corrupt,and the problem was later rectified
Re: Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child by midnighter(f): 2:22am On Oct 15, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
Martin Luther felt the Catholic church had too much power,remember back then church positions were intertwined with government,practically,anything the church said then was legal law,not the way it is now.

Yes,I do agree with the fact due to the much power the Catholic Church had then,it caused some individuals to be corrupt,but you make it seem like it's the whole of Catholic church that was corrupt.it was only some corrupt bishops in power that were corrupt,and the problem was later rectified

Yeah i wanted to mention that.. they controlled almost everything

For me i dont think its me making it seem like, thats what I was taught... that it was corrupt through and through and thats what caused some of the problems for the common people Ie. only wealthy people could become priests. Anyway no church is perfect... my comment only came from that guy bashing protestants when Catholics are not innocent.
Re: Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child by Alexaonfleek: 2:30am On Oct 15, 2019
midnighter:

Yeah i wanted to mention that.. they controlled almost everything

For me i dont think its me making it seem like, thats what I was taught... that it was corrupt through and through and thats what caused some of the problems for the common people Ie. only wealthy people could become priests. Anyway no church is perfect... my comment only came from that guy bashing protestants when Catholics are not innocent.
yeah.every church strives for perfection(except the fake ones lol).the main point of Christianity and the general belief of all christians is that Christ died for our sins and ressurected again that we may enter the kingdom of God.

My initial anger also came from the other guy who claimed that Catholic church is demonic,like how can a demonic church still be existing after 2000 years,despite all the odds.its really tiring trying to explain the same things over and over again to some Protestants who will just make mockery of it
Re: Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child by midnighter(f): 7:40am On Oct 15, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
yeah.every church strives for perfection(except the fake ones lol).the main point of Christianity and the general belief of all christians is that Christ died for our sins and ressurected again that we may enter the kingdom of God.

My initial anger also came from the other guy who claimed that Catholic church is demonic,like how can a demonic church still be existing after 2000 years,despite all the odds.its really tiring trying to explain the same things over and over again to some Protestants who will just make mockery of it

Yeah I think all that stuff about it being demonic is from the fact that people cant easily understand your ways of doing things... it looks strange to them

I have seen people making offensive comments about Catholics saying that they are not really spiritual and i dont agree with it at all. One must not shout and fall to the ground in order to prove himself "spiritual"
Re: Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child by megareal: 11:35am On Oct 15, 2019
anienge001:

Here is a recent picture. There is a video of him saying Eucharistic prayer II.
This is called communion in pentecostal churches and every church practices it albeit with different variations.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Was Adam Truly The First Man On Earth? / Gays & Lesbians Are Sinners And They Will Go To Hell If... / T.B Joshua: Woman Gives Birth During Church Service (graphic Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.