Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (331310 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ufranxo(m): 2:08am On Dec 27, 2021
morgang:

Bro, due to tight school schedules here, I am currently at the beginners level (starting with Excel). I am not sure if there’s any group I can join?

Non that I am sure of. I'd like that too. Having issues installing mysql, power Bi �� been given me serious issues. Also with the tutorial videos. Been unable to fully download any. They just stop along the line.

Please suggestions/directions are highly welcomed
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ufranxo(m): 2:14am On Dec 27, 2021
Kaydon001:

Data Science Nigeria.. we have a telegram group could send you a link

Please I'd love to join too. Kindly drop the link. Thanks
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Kaydon001: 8:05am On Dec 28, 2021
youngbelieve:

pls send the link, im very much interested

https:// bit. ly/ DSNTelegram

Copy and remove the space

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 2:14pm On Dec 28, 2021
Ufranxo:

Non that I am sure of. I'd like that too. Having issues installing mysql, power Bi �� been given me serious issues. Also with the tutorial videos. Been unable to fully download any. They just stop along the line.

While MySQL is a bit tricky to install, I'll have to ask what issues you're having with installing PowerBI?

It should be straightforward.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Oyehomie(m): 3:04pm On Dec 28, 2021
Ufranxo:

This thread really got me wowed! So happy I stormed on it. � Hey guys thank so much for all your inputs, indeed helpful.

I am a beginner in Data science. Reading thru got be motivated beyond words. Any newbie(s) here please let's connect. Thanks

I am... Still gathering resources though... learning hasn't been easy.. I need a partner to grow with

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by abbenism001(m): 3:24pm On Dec 28, 2021
Ejiod:
Out of the 3,
One from from lekki asked me to analyze data as assessment of which I pythonize grin it,running pandas and Power BI on it.Had to utilize all my skills to solve the problem.This was a big edge I had over others.Some excel users will be calling theirselves data analyst but they are just far from it... before you knew it,in just a week I got a notification that "Can I resume the following week" with a net pay of 180k. Damn!... I was so so happy... first data analyst job and the best thing about it was that it was remote..No transport, just me in my house and I report to boss every Friday what I've been doing.
Had to share my story too to freetutorials.us because they were helpful with tons of tutorials I downloaded from them.
Fast forward..4 month into the job damn, I started expanding and experimenting my skills. I became more of a Business intelligence developer. Before a year, I've toured round 15 states in Nigeria all by flight....
I loved what I was doing then,but one thing about remote job is that sometimes it may make you lazy and extravagant sometimes. Its then you will be thinking of going to cinema to watch film or event centers......

Am a beginner, am interested in data science I have started from learning using w3s, sololearn and codeliber. Pls can you be my mentor. I have some questions to ask sir

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by abbenism001(m): 3:56pm On Dec 28, 2021
IceColdVeins:
Kashif! its in .pdf
I love this. Someone can plan with this
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by MasterOfAllElem(m): 1:18pm On Dec 29, 2021
Good day everyone, I need help importing excel/CSV file into Msql.
I have faced countless issues trying to fix this

First off, when I try to import excel files, somehow I can't find Microsoft excel option under file source.

So I converted the file to CSV and imported it and all the data type changed to nvarchar.
Now I am dealing with numbers here and can't keep using cast or convert all the time as it is making my query too stuffy.

I tried editing the data type before importing but would always get an error while importing..

The tutorial video I am following uploaded an excel file so he didnt seem to encounter the issue with data type changing.

Please how do I go about importing excel files(i have MS excel 2016 and Msql 2014 installed on my system)

Also is the issue with CSV data type changing common to everyone and is there a way to avoid it?

Thank you very much.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by dauddy97(m): 4:52pm On Dec 29, 2021
MasterOfAllElem:

First off, when I try to import excel files, somehow I can't find Microsoft excel option under file source.

So I converted the file to CSV and imported it and all the data type changed to nvarchar.
Now I am dealing with numbers here and can't keep using cast or convert all the time as it is making my query too stuffy.

I tried editing the data type before importing but would always get an error while importing..

The tutorial video I am following uploaded an excel file so he didnt seem to encounter the issue with data type changing.

Please how do I go about importing excel files(i have MS excel 2016 and Msql 2014 installed on my system)

Also is the issue with CSV data type changing common to everyone and is there a way to avoid it?

Thank you very much.
If you are using mySQL workbench, you can't import Excel. Just CSV and some other data type like that.
If you plan importing from Excel at all cost, then open workbench, create the table and name the columns in that table the same way as appeared on your excel. At first, you will fetch the records from tables, it gonna return empty rows since it's a newly created table with columns. After that, Open your excel file and copy all the data and paste it on the columns inside your workbench. That's the trick. To your second question, if you are exporting from CSV to mySQL and you have error, those errors might be caused due to null values, I have experienced that befor too. So, clean your data before exporting.

Below links will do justice to your question

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52989375/how-to-import-excel-file-into-mysql-workbench#:~:text=Instead

4 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by okpanachil: 5:44pm On Dec 29, 2021
wisdomremz:
just wanted to drop this
if you are a beginner and willing to start a career in data science without any skill, you should start with excel then sql..

if you prefer videos for training in details

you can get full trainings on excel and sql server from beginner to advance in details from YouTube below;

1) for excel- watch *excelisfun* YouTube channel cover all you need from beginner to advance and also using excel for data analysis

2) for sql server- watch *kudvenkat* youtube channel covers all about sql server from beginner to advance its quite long(winks)

with this you're 30% covered in data science..

I love video tutorial cos you watch Wat is taught been put in use and you can perform simultaneously, books can be used for references.

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by okpanachil: 5:51pm On Dec 29, 2021
wisdomremz:
if you want to start as a fresher to python programming and you need solid basics

I would recommend

Automate the boring stuff with python(2015)
by
Al swelgart.

You can download online for free

it's by far one of the easiest to understand and soft book for beginners, several python programmers can attest to that, it also has project and exercises per Chapter..
Also practise along side Using a python IDE.
pycharm, jupyter book n Co.. if need modules you can download Anaconda it contains several libraries.
Great
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Crvrider: 6:21pm On Dec 29, 2021
Lasisieniola77:

I am also in the same dilemma and i need the reviews too. I am also considering APTECH

Why not go to co-creation hub in yaba, that place is like the silicon valley of Nigeria. Get yourself registered with them and enjoy being in a community of programmers... everything tech.

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by MasterOfAllElem(m): 8:25pm On Dec 29, 2021
dauddy97:

If you are using mySQL workbench, you can't import Excel. Just CSV and some other data type like that.
If you plan importing from Excel at all cost, then open workbench, create the table and name the columns in that table the same way as appeared on your excel. At first, you will fetch the records from tables, it gonna return empty rows since it's a newly created table with columns. After that, Open your excel file and copy all the data and paste it on the columns inside your workbench. That's the trick. To your second question, if you are exporting from CSV to mySQL and you have error, those errors might be caused due to null values, I have experienced that befor too. So, clean your data before exporting.

Below links will do justice to your question

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52989375/how-to-import-excel-file-into-mysql-workbench#:~:text=Instead

Please is it okay if I send you a private message, I mean via email sir
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Lasisieniola77(m): 11:19pm On Dec 29, 2021
Okay thank you, i will check them
Crvrider:

Why not go to co-creation hub in yaba, that place is like the silicon valley of Nigeria. Get yourself registered with them and enjoy being in a community of programmers... everything tech.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 12:35am On Dec 30, 2021
MasterOfAllElem:

Thank you very much.

As regards the data type in the CSV format changing when uploaded into MYSQL, I know there is an interface when importing where you can specify the data type for each column. Have you tried this?

Also, there are packages that can convert excel sheets to SQL files although most of them are paid and the free version can maybe convert a 100 rows.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by morgang(m): 6:49am On Dec 30, 2021
I’d appreciate anyone helping with links or sites I could get raw data for excel practice. If such platform also offers task and solutions to questions, that’d be highly appreciated as well.

PS- to my fellow beginners, kindly help share your resources and progress status so far.

I need motovation.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 6:50am On Dec 30, 2021
morgang:
I’d appreciate anyone helping with links or sites I could get raw data for excel practice. If such platform also offers task and solutions to questions, that’d be highly appreciated as well.

PS- to my fellow beginners, kindly help share your resources and progress status so far.

I need motovation.
Thank you.

Click on below link;

https://www.wiseowl.co.uk/excel/exercises/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by lymelyte(m): 7:57am On Dec 30, 2021
pleae gurus, i need help with available data science scholarships.. Abeg
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by MasterOfAllElem(m): 9:07am On Dec 30, 2021
Raalsalghul:

As regards the data type in the CSV format changing when uploaded into MYSQL, I know there is an interface when importing where you can specify the data type for each column. Have you tried this?

Also, there are packages that can convert excel sheets to SQL files although most of them are paid and the free version can maybe convert a 100 rows.

It is Msql or SSMS I am using
And I have tried converting the data type before importing but I keep getting error saying something about overflowed, I have tried everything. Someone said it might b because of my null values and I should do some data cleaning, I dont know how to go about that for now.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by dauddy97(m): 9:46am On Dec 30, 2021
MasterOfAllElem:

Please is it okay if I send you a private message, I mean via email sir
replied to your mail.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nteogwuija(m): 10:33am On Dec 30, 2021
maker1234567:
Port Harcourt based aspiring and professional Data Scientist/Python Programmers, can we form a community? . Mayb create a whatsapp group and once in while we can meet up.
Thnks

How do we start bro? Just want to start taking data analysis serious from next year.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nteogwuija(m): 10:38am On Dec 30, 2021
maker1234567:
Port Harcourt based aspiring and professional Data Scientist/Python Programmers, can we form a community? . Mayb create a whatsapp group and once in while we can meet up.
Thnks

How do we start this, bro? I want to start Data Analysis from next year.

I reside in Port Harcourt too

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by JohnnyBling(m): 11:00am On Dec 30, 2021
maker1234567:
Thnks
I'm interested as well. I'm focusing on starting from 2022. Can I get a message back?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by morgang(m): 3:09pm On Dec 30, 2021
Raalsalghul:

Click on below link;

https://www.wiseowl.co.uk/excel/exercises/

Thank you brother.
Compliments of the season.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 4:21pm On Dec 30, 2021
Oyehomie:

I am... Still gathering resources though... learning hasn't been easy.. I need a partner to grow with
Hello I am also in the growing phase in data science and also feel I need a partner for that extra push how can we link up

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by shantti(m): 2:08am On Jan 01, 2022
wisdomremz:

quote me with your email, i will send the pdf

Please send to me too bro ugwuchibuike666@gmail.com
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Houseboy419(m): 2:21am On Jan 01, 2022
Ufranxo:

I had issue installing mysql too but it worked after I updated my laptop
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by OladiTwo5(m): 7:24am On Jan 01, 2022
You can simply use copy and paste.

If you have like 10 minutes, I can help you out with this issue.

MasterOfAllElem:

It is Msql or SSMS I am using
And I have tried converting the data type before importing but I keep getting error saying something about overflowed, I have tried everything. Someone said it might b because of my null values and I should do some data cleaning, I dont know how to go about that for now.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Openpeace: 8:34pm On Jan 01, 2022
GidiCars:

Since you ain't financially buoyant, asking you to watch videos online is out of the equation. I can help you by sharing with you PDFs for any type of course you want. From learning python, to learning data analysis using python from Wes McKinney himself (Google who he is), to machine learning using python, deep learning using python.

Also, I earlier shared a Udemy channel with this thread where you can watch videos to learn online if you have the resources to do so.

openpeace0@gmail.com

Please help me with materials I just got a laptop last week,
Want to kick off my new year with data analytics.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 12:08pm On Jan 02, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Start with SQL (Over 95 per cent of Data Analyst roles require this skill). There are many RDBMS you can use to learn but MySQL is the most common.

Then learn Excel with emphasis on (Look-up and Statistics functions, referencing, conditional formatting, power query for cleaning data, pivot tables for summarizing data, power pivot for modelling and then DAX).

Followed by PowerBI or Tableau: you'll use these tools to visualize the results of your SQL queries. I personally prefer PowerBI as it's more robust in function.

People mention Python a lot, but I've seen many Data Analyst vacancies excluding it in their requirements (emphasis on "Data Analyst"wink). Nonetheless you can add it to your skill set if you want to go the Data Science Route or just for personal development purposes. Learn the basics first and then move on its libraries: Numpy, Pandas, Matplotlib and Seaborn. There's also the Scikit learn library for its machine learning capabilities.

If you can master the first 3, you're job ready: then scale up your knowledge from there.

Edit: In the above post, I mentioned PowerBI is more robust than Tableau because of the DAX functionality which implies that you prioritize PowerBI over Tableau.

However, I've been familiarizing myself with Tableau the last few days and I need to state that it has its own calculated fields (Tableau's version of DAX) with similar formulas and patterns. So basis this, I'll say they're both similar in function and you can choose to learn anyone you want to.

Better still, learn both!

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Openpeace: 3:52am On Jan 03, 2022

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Palmstudy: 5:56am On Jan 03, 2022
maker1234567:
Thnks

Great idea

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.