Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,122 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (25193 Views)

Benue: Fr. Alia Presents Certificate Of Return To Tor Tiv And Ochi’idoma / Question: Which Is The Most Populous Ethnic Group In Rivers State? / Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

[s]Bro, Fulanis are many in Nigeria if you count the Hausanized Fulanis as Fulanis. They are up to 15 million.
However, if it is just the Pure Fulanis, then they are like 5-7 million.[/s]
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 7:07pm On Oct 27, 2019
JonDon12:

Muslims are a majority in Nigeria, That is a fact. You are a citizen of a muslim country. One of the most backward ones too. Not only is Nigeria a muslim mahority country, They are our defacto rulers. They rule in the North and amongst the Yoruba, They are first class citizens. In Yorubaland, most of their Obas are Muslim, the otunbas as well. The state governers are muslim as well as the political, afenifere and OPC chieftains. This is Nigerias reality. The British made sure the Muslims remained in charge because they are easier to control.
Oyo state govenor is christian, Ogun state governor is christian, Ekiti state governor is christian, Ondo state governor is christian and Lagos state governor is christian, only Osun i believe has a Muslim governor.

The Oni of ife and head of Afenifere are Christians.

Please say something else.

8 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by GODMALE: 7:13pm On Oct 27, 2019
Only Benin population in Europe is more than the population of esans outside Edo state (both within and outside Nigeria).

You claim urhobo and other ethnic groups are in Benin region but totally ignored the Benin population in Delta, ondo and Lagos state.

Biase, e be like Benin woman break your heart

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by GODMALE: 7:18pm On Oct 27, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Oyo state govenor is christian, Ogun state governor is christian, Ekiti state governor is christian, Ondo state governor is christian and Lagos state governor is christian, only Osun i believe has a Muslim governor.

ignore that boy, he's a delusional ipob. He think by speading Nigeria is a Muslim country propaganda he can have Biafra

4 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 7:18pm On Oct 27, 2019
scholes0:

Everywhere there. Even if they are tiny, theya re still present.
In many places within this obodo Nigeria ,igbos are tiny but prominent component of the fabric of towns. That is what many people don't know. prominent is not the same as populated That is how one of you was arguing that migrant Igbo Communities were more than the Ibibios in A/Ibom state and he was telling you guyz the reality oon ground.
I know about the prominence aspect but even the population count is can be very visible. I'll tell you something about prominence and population. Take for instance 'Ore' town in Ondo state has a prominence of Igbo business people yet has a huge population of Igbos living in the interior of the town. This is not the same like the prominence of Igbos in Okitipupa doing business without much Igbo population. It is with this understanding that I write about Igbo population distribution in both the West and North.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2019
scholes0:

Population density of Igboland between the Central Anambra and the Central/Imo to Umuahia axis, as well as the central Enugu ridge between Ezike and Udi, I agree. But overall population is still a big toss up to be honest. And by overall population I am also including the Ikwerres, Ikaz, Ogbas, Kwales and all other igbo affiliated groups, even Ekpeye.
Igbo settlement pattern is the same as that the Fon of Southern Benin, still all Fon within Benin cant be more than 4 million.

Density x Landmass is what will result in eventual population not just density alone.
You're correct. We still have to consider the proportion of the densities when comparing both regions. The density in Igboland was about triple the average in other areas hence the earlier census done by the British showed Igboland as having the biggest population in Southern Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 7:32pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Delta central is more cosmopolitan than Kogi east because places like Uvwie & Udu have merged with Warri and have many tribes living there. Same with Ughelli & Sapele towns.
Delta central is far far more urbanized unlike Kogi east.
How many immigrants are living in Ankpa or Anyigba? Everybody is Igala.

Yes, you also have Urhbos in Warri south and a small minority in Patani & Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa. However, Igalas have up to 6 towns in the SE/SS and some communities in Apa LGA of Benue state.

Lastly, Igalas migrate more than Urhobos as of today. Igalas are becoming intimidating in Abuja, they are also very many in Kaduna, Jos & Kano, they are in Igbo land too.
Urhobo migrants on the other hand only have strong populations in Benin villages & Ajegunle (Lagos).
Both tribes should be something very close to equal.

sure?

Urhobos
: SW, Edo, Port Harcourt, North
Igalas: North only. Very small in SE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 7:35pm On Oct 27, 2019
Yujin:

You're correct. We still have to consider the proportion of the densities when comparing both regions. The density in Igboland was about triple the average in other areas hence the earlier census done by the British showed Igboland as having the biggest population in Southern Nigeria.

Ibibio land is also dense. Denser than tiv land, but Ibibios are not more than Tivs.
I think that is a fair analogy that roughly also equates to the dynamics between Yoruba and Igbo with Igbo being Ibibio and yoruba being Tiv.

4 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 7:42pm On Oct 27, 2019
scholes0:

Ibibio land is also dense. Denser than tiv land, but Ibibios are not more than Tivs.
I think that is a fair analogy that roughly also equates to the dynamics between Yoruba and Igbo with Igbo being Ibibio and yoruba being Tiv.
It is not a fair analogy and you know it. Colonial records show Igbos with more population than Yorubas. Is it not so?

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 7:49pm On Oct 27, 2019
Yujin:

It is not a fair analogy and you know it. Colonial records show Igbos with more population than Yorubas. Is it not so?

But how is it an unfair analogy? the conditions mirror each other perfectly well. The land area-density dichotomy.
colonial documents also show igbos more than hausa-fulani. Even if it were true at the time, a lot has since changed from the era of the 1920s.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by GODMALE: 7:55pm On Oct 27, 2019
All these ethnic groups without real social media plaform, if you go to YouTube, Facebook , instagram. You'll see hausa-fulani,igbos and Yoruba's movies, music's,wedding pages and other social forum stuffs.

The only ethnic group to have something similar is Benin, their Instagram wedding page is top 3 after Yoruba's, Hausa and Igbo's and Ibibio comes 4th.

They have their own movie production and you can even view i on YouTube, I tried to check if ijaw, urhobo etc have something similar but I was stunned, I tought ijaw has 15 million population so they can't act movies in ijaw language?

Even in diaspora forum, after the 3 major tribes Benin comes next in hosting occasions

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 7:57pm On Oct 27, 2019
GODMALE:
All these ethnic groups without real social media plaform, if you go to YouTube, Facebook , instagram. You'll see hausa-fulani,igbos and Yoruba's movies, music's,wedding pages and other social forum stuffs.

The only ethnic group to have something similar is Benin, their Instagram wedding page is top 3 after Yoruba's, Hausa and Igbo's and Ibibio comes 4th.

They have their own movie production and you can even view i on YouTube, I tried to check if ijaw, urhobo etc have something similar but I was stunned, I tought ijaw has 15 million population so they can't act movies in ijaw language?

Even in diaspora forum, after the 3 major tribes Benin comes next in hosting occasions

I agree.
In so many aspects Edos are the 4th most prominent ethnic group in Nigeria after the top3.
Even Edo diaspora population is third after Yoruba and Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by kayusely70(m): 7:58pm On Oct 27, 2019
Iamgrey5:

He doesnt know what he was saying was complete fallacy.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by GODMALE: 8:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
I dare anyone to bring any ijaw, urhobo and other ethnic groups you people claim have more population than Benin's and show us their movies or songs.

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by GODMALE: 8:04pm On Oct 27, 2019
An ethnic groups you claim have more population than Benin's but every data prove contrary.

I blame Benin's from moving outside Nigeria that's why esans and urhobo are now been compared to them.

Do you know that some communities in Italy, their communication language is Benin

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 27, 2019
GODMALE:
I dare anyone to bring any ijaw, urhobo and other ethnic groups you people claim have more population than Benin's and show us their movies or songs.

I jaw don't travel outside the country that much,
Only people outside Nigeria are interested in watching/listening to movie/song on Youtube,
You can't compare the entire Edo to Ijaw in population let alone Benin.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Astark: 8:08pm On Oct 27, 2019
I'm still wondering how ijaw are 4th largest ethnic groups, if you go online you'll understand.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by GODMALE: 8:12pm On Oct 27, 2019
FulaniJihadists:

I jaw don't travel outside the country much,
Only people outside Nigeria are interested in watch/listening movie/song on Youtube,
You can't compare the entire Edo to Ijaw let alone Benin.
this ijaw population figure is fake, they join all the ethnic groups similar to ijaw as one even if they have diverse origin and different language.

That explains why their online presence are low and why their language in Nigeria is almost known existence, the real ijaw won't be more than a million.

So you claim because before that travel out only view YouTube? grin

3 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by phylshan: 8:17pm On Oct 27, 2019
[quote author=Nowenuse post=83502068]

My brother, you don't know Tiv oooooo! shocked
Tivs spread like wildfire just like the Fulanis. If not for Jukuns, Tivs would have almost overtaken Taraba state. These people are almost everywhere in Taraba. They are the strongest minority in almost every LGA of the state.

Same thing in the Southern parts of Nasarawa state and even Northern Cross River.

People consider them as non indigenes but they are in those places.

Tivs have ethnically absorbed the Etulo people (An Idoma speaking people), and many Igede people now speak Tiv as a fluent 2nd language and even 1st language.

Tiv towns are heavily populated and even in 2006 census, Tiv LGAs showed high population.
A LGA like Gboko up to 500,000 people and almost everyone there is Tiv. It is not the capital or even close to the capital Makurdi.

Tivs have not been in present day Nigeria for more than 500 years, but see how they managed to displace and cut off Kwararafan tribes with their spread. They are a people of Bantu origin and I don't think I need to remind you about the GREAT BANTU EXPANSION.[/quote
Great analysis. Well done
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 27, 2019
GODMALE:
this ijaw population figure is fake, they join all the ethnic groups similar to ijaw as one even if they have diverse origin and different language.

That explains why their online presence are low and why their language in Nigeria is almost known existence, the real ijaw won't be more than a million.

So you claim because before that travel out only view YouTube? grin

The of Bayelsa alone is over 2 million in population, we heavy Ijaw presence other 5 states in the Niger Delta,

I don't blame you since you decide to count them by numbers of Instagram follower or Yotube views,

If we follow your judgement then Singapore will have more population than Nigeria or Hausa and other Northern tribes would be minority

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by mandarin: 8:36pm On Oct 27, 2019
Quite impressed by a couple of factual contributions here.
Let me chip in something, which of Yoruba or Igbo is the largest in the North, people should stop the misconception of Igbo being more.
Also of importance is the fact that Hausa would lose majority should Hausa Fulani tag be splitted, that's the truth.That would probably make Yoruba the largest single ethnic group in Nigeria and Igbo comes second..

6 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by oilPUSSY(f): 9:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
GODMALE:
igbos have big population before but not now, remember millions were used for suya so they are relegated to 3rd, if they dare try such nonsense again, there won't be tribe call Igbo's in this world

Its obvious that its still a mystery to you that Igbo's still maintained their position in Nigerian population even after the war..

How dft one can be.. You think that casualties were one sided ?
Or only Igbos died during the war ?

You should focus more on the reason why you people are dying like chicken in this 21 century even when no war is going on hence your decline in population..

You were even closer to Igbos in population in 1930's which is the ist picture I attached, now the gap Igbo's have given you is getting wider despite the fact that your people are practicing polygamy due to Islam.....

Sit down and have a sober reflection.
Is it a supreme punishment or out of carelessness of your your people?

6 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 27, 2019
oilPUSSY:

Its obvious that its still a mystery to you that Igbo's still maintained their position in Nigerian population even after the war..

How dft one can be.. You think that casualties were one sided ?
Or only Igbos died during the war ?

You should focus more on the reason why you people are dying like chicken in this 21 century even when no war is going on hence your decline..

You were even closer to Igbo's in population in 1930's which is the ist picture I attached, now the gap Igbo's have given you is getting wider despite the fact that your people are practicing polygamy due to Islam.....

Sit down and have a sober reflection.

Is it a punishment or carelessness ?

The idiot you quoted is a Benin man from Edo,
Though, half of them are Muslims just like the Yorubas, they are pro Islam.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by oilPUSSY(f): 9:10pm On Oct 27, 2019
FulaniJihadists:

The idiot you quoted is a Benin man from Edo,
Though, half of them are Muslims just like the Yorubas, they are pro Islam.

The second picture I posted captures his own state...

It says Edo and SW.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 9:58pm On Oct 27, 2019
JonDon12:

Muslims are a majority in Nigeria, That is a fact. You are a citizen of a muslim country. One of the most backward ones too. Not only is Nigeria a muslim mahority country, They are our defacto rulers. They rule in the North and amongst the Yoruba, They are first class citizens. In Yorubaland, most of their Obas are Muslim, the otunbas as well. The state governers are muslim as well as the political, afenifere and OPC chieftains. This is Nigerias reality. The British made sure the Muslims remained in charge because they are easier to control.

Very true. People don't know this, or they want to play the ostrich. But Yorubas are predominantly Muslims.
Don't let their commercialized pastors in Lagos-Ogun express road deceive you, those lots seek out mainly gullible Igbo Christians to milk. They know most of their people are Muslims.

I have lived in rural Yoruba before and was shocked by that discovery. Too many mosques and Muslims everywhere. I was shocked.

Now do the maths, of the three dominant Ethnic groups in Nigeria, Hausa-Fulani are overwhelmingly Muslims, Yoruba are like 60% Muslims. Only the Igbo are the Christian core.

It's wishful thinking Nigeria is not a predominantly Muslim country, because it is.

5 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Sukueponmalu: 9:59pm On Oct 27, 2019
Sukudis all over the thread ranting about how majority of Yorubas are Christians.
Lmfao .
Majority are Christians my ass!

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 10:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
scholes0:

But how is it an unfair analogy? the conditions mirror each other perfectly well. The land area-density dichotomy.
colonial documents also show igbos more than hausa-fulani. Even if it were true at the time, a lot has since changed from the era of the 1920s.

No colonial document show Igbo more than Hausa-Fulani.
https://www.nairaland.com/3400415/1931-population-figures-nigerian-ethnic

3 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 10:05pm On Oct 27, 2019
mandarin:
Quite impressed by a couple of factual contributions here.
Let me chip in something, which of Yoruba or Igbo is the largest in the North, people should stop the misconception of Igbo being more.
Also of importance is the fact that Hausa would lose majority should Hausa Fulani tag be splitted, that's the truth.That would probably make Yoruba the largest single ethnic group in Nigeria and Igbo comes second..

Igbos are more. It's as simple as that.

I was in Wukari and Jalingo not long ago. It's amazing the number of Igbos there.
I kept running into random Igbo speaking people on Keke and banks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by JonDon12: 10:13pm On Oct 27, 2019
pazienza:

Very true. People don't know this, or they want to play the ostrich. But Yorubas are predominantly Muslims.
Don't let their commercialized pastors in Lagos-Ogun express road deceive you, those lots seek out mainly Igbo Christians to milk. They know most of their people are Muslims.

I have lived in rural Yoruba before and was shocked by that discovery. Too many mosques and Muslims everywhere. I was shocked.

Now do the maths, of the three dominant Ethnic groups in Nigeria, Hausa-Fulani are overwhelmingly Muslims, Yoruba are like 60% Muslims. Only the Igbo are the Christian core.

It's wishful thinking Nigeria is not a predominantly Muslim country, because it is.

Exactly, Simple mathematics.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 10:27pm On Oct 27, 2019
GODMALE:
igbos have big population before but not now, remember millions were used for suya so they are relegated to 3rd, if they dare try such nonsense again, there won't be tribe call Igbo's in this world

You starved mainly Children to death. Biafra soldier casualty were minimal.
The children were quickly replaced by fertile Igbo parents post civil war.

Your attempts at extermination of Igbo race failed. Try again later if you can.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 10:57pm On Oct 27, 2019
Yujin:

Igbos in the north are within the range of 7-10million. In the West, maximum 7 million. In the SE, 21million and SS- 6million.

Igbos in the 19 states of the north/middlebelt are not more than 5 million.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 10:59pm On Oct 27, 2019
scholes0:

The mind of the average okun is not in kogi, it is stuck in Ilorin, Ibadan, Ile-Ife or Lagos.lol funny but 'it is a true something'. Even during elections their turnout is usually the lowest. They are not enthused about the entire prospect of 'Kogi' at all.. To the Igalas, Kogi is nirvana. The state na their papa property, an avenue to finally develop their land after years of shackling under Benue-Plateau to Benue then to Kwara (Where they were jokingly called 'abroad kwarans' because there was no bridge between Itobe and Ajaokuta at the time like it does now, they had to use Canoes to even get to their own capital in ilorin and other parts of the state) grin nd then again under Benue before they finally landed in Paradise Kogi cheesy

Ebiras are the ones in a dicey situation here, because left to the Okuns they won't even be Kogites. Igalas are happy where they are. Ebiras however will never share a state alone with Igalas and don't want to return to a state where they would be an even smaller minority under a heavy yoruba majority (Kwara). I just feel it is because of them that Kogi was even brought together as an entity cos Igala population alone can't sustain a state so the western half were brought over from Kwara to join, together with the centrally located and historically significant town of lokoja.

The truth is that Okuns and Ebiras have different political agendas but they can still come together if they really want to. They just have to come by a rotation agreement and Igala domination will be history.

Interesting.

Igalas take Kogi with pride, however, unlike the Tivs, they still emigrate a lot. Lokoja is not a big city with opportunities, so they still move to Kaduna, Kano, Abuja e.t.c

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

25,000 Pastors To Hold Prayers For Buhari In Lagos / Umaru Mohammed: I’ll Pull Out Of Speakership Race If APC Zones It To South-East / President Jonathan Live In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.