Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,812 members, 7,810,116 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? (8346 Views)

Why Are Both Jesus And Satan Referred To As The Morning Star? / Why Do Man Debate The Existence Of A 'god'? A Candid Question. / What Is The Difference Between Lucifer And Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 5:36am On Nov 30, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

You'll need to refer to my previous posts to find out which challenges. I did spell them out as clearly as I could from the beginning.

As for your second question, please read my previous posts to see what I actually said about the soul. As for what can be proven in the Bible, I think that it is obvious that you have no biblical arguments for your position. The fact that you have not addressed my arguments, preferring instead to try to drag me into an exchange of insults, is proof enough of that.

As for your questions, I was the challenger here. I came and asked you to prove that your teaching is biblical by showing you passages in the Bible that contradicted your position. You did not give any good answers. I proceeded on my own to provide an alternative interpretation of the Scriptures regarding the issue, and I answered every reasonable question that you asked challenging my interpretation. What questions I refused to answer I explained why I refused to answer.

I realize that you are quarrelsome and you are spoiling for a fight, but I have neither time nor energy for that. You have people here who have been more than happy to indulge your appetite for it, so you really don't need me to join in the fray. I have no doubt that your position is pure heresy. I also have no doubt that you know it and simply don't care. So, I have no interest in trying to persuade you to believe anything different than you do. I am happy to simply demonstrate that you are teaching a false doctrine here so that anyone who loves the Truth and comes here will not be deceived by you. That's all.

This is a prayer of David to God, asking that God should deliver him while he is still alive
The question is why is David saying that the dead including him David when he dies, would not be able to praise God, if the spirit lives on after death reason of affliction: LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee. 88:10 Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah. 88:11 Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction? 88:12 Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness? 88:13 But unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee.ouldn't the spirit of David continue to praise God.

Afterall the same David decleared that he will praise God everyday.

Psalms 145:2 Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name

Or wouldn't God show his wonders to the spirits of David?

David explicitly called the dead the land of forgetfull ness.
Which is in agreement with what Solomon his son wrote years later.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Here is David's prayer

Psalms 88:9 Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee. 88:10 Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah. 88:11 Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction? 88:12 Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness? 88:13 But unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 6:24am On Nov 30, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

You'll need to refer to my previous posts to find out which challenges. I did spell them out as clearly as I could from the beginning.

As for your second question, please read my previous posts to see what I actually said about the soul. As for what can be proven in the Bible, I think that it is obvious that you have no biblical arguments for your position. The fact that you have not addressed my arguments, preferring instead to try to drag me into an exchange of insults, is proof enough of that.

As for your questions, I was the challenger here. I came and asked you to prove that your teaching is biblical by showing you passages in the Bible that contradicted your position. You did not give any good answers. I proceeded on my own to provide an alternative interpretation of the Scriptures regarding the issue, and I answered every reasonable question that you asked challenging my interpretation. What questions I refused to answer I explained why I refused to answer.

I realize that you are quarrelsome and you are spoiling for a fight, but I have neither time nor energy for that. You have people here who have been more than happy to indulge your appetite for it, so you really don't need me to join in the fray. I have no doubt that your position is pure heresy. I also have no doubt that you know it and simply don't care. So, I have no interest in trying to persuade you to believe anything different than you do. I am happy to simply demonstrate that you are teaching a false doctrine here so that anyone who loves the Truth and comes here will not be deceived by you. That's all.

Prophet Isaiah also prayed the same prayer to God.

Isaiah 38:18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth. Isaiah 38:19 The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth.

Psalms 115:17 The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence. in
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 9:24pm On Dec 03, 2019
jcross19:
why should I be wasting my energy on son of perdition sorry sir!!! Jehovah' witness ! e go do you voom for eye.

This is a prayer of David to God, asking that God should
deliver him while he is still alive
The question is why is David saying that the dead including
him David when he dies, would not be able to praise God, if
the spirit lives on after death reason of affliction: LORD, I have
called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto
thee. 88:10 Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the
dead arise and praise thee? Selah. 88:11 Shall thy
lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in
destruction? 88:12 Shall thy wonders be known in the dark?
and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness? 88:13 But
unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my
prayer prevent thee.ouldn't the spirit of David continue to
praise God.
Afterall the same David decleared that he will praise God
everyday.
Psalms 145:2 Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy
name
Or wouldn't God show his wonders to the spirits of David?
David explicitly called the dead the land of forgetfull ness.
Which is in agreement with what Solomon his son wrote years
later.
Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but
the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a
reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 9:6 Also their
love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither
have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is
done under the sun.
Here is David's prayer
Psalms 88:9 Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: LORD,
I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands
unto thee. 88:10 Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall
the dead arise and praise thee? Selah. 88:11 Shall thy
lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in
destruction? 88:12 Shall thy wonders be known in the dark?
and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness? 88:13 But
unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my
prayer prevent thee.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 3:18am On Dec 04, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

As you said, the Scriptures cannot be broken. So, I don't believe that any part of the Bible can contradict any other. That was why I provided passages in the Bible that disagreed with your interpretation of these ones that you have shown here and others like them. Then I also went on to provide an interpretation that accounts for everything the Bible has to say about all this.

You have not actually addressed my arguments at all. As I said, you have tried rather to drag me into an exchange of insults and accusations/counter accusations. You have dismissed my arguments right out of hand too. But you have not actually looked at what I have said and what I have shown you from the Bible that disagrees with your doctrine.

I don't really care what you want to believe and teach. That is really your business, and I have no right or interest in interferring in your exercise of your free will. I have only interfered here because you are teaching this in public space where I am also responsible to offer protection for believers who come around these parts. My interference is purely to leave a witness to the Truth here for those who could be misled by you. If they accept my testimony, they will be safe. If they do not, they won't be.

I am done with our exchange. I will not be responding again to you.

https://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/book/e/30/t/hell-fire--a-twisted-truth-untangled
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 3:19am On Dec 04, 2019
jcross19:
this is the reason you lack bible understanding! Is talking about our mortal body! ahahahahaha.

https://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/book/e/30/t/hell-fire--a-twisted-truth-untangled
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 7:53pm On Dec 09, 2019
jcross19:
can you see someone who is quoting bible and trying to question the existence of his fellow mortal! you are a big fool that reason with his foot. very shameful simple question you are quoting out of point. the mortal died and return to dust why the spirit remain intact all the quotations are all talking about the state of canal or mortal body which dies and decays but the spirit never die. simple Jesus told the thief at left side that today you will meet me in the paradise then asked you that was Jesus drunk to made such statement if there is no life after death . If you want to argue, argue with Christ period not meet. your brain is equal brain of a fish.

If the Spirit was alive and conscious after death as you claim.
Why is that you don't know what is happening around you when asleep? why is your spirit or Soul not keeping record or seeing what is happening within your environment while you are sleeping?

Note the Bible likened death to sleep.

Many centuries later the biblical account of the death of
Lazarus, a friend of Jesus, illustrates death to be a sleeplike
state. “Now a certain man was sick, Lazarus of
Bethany” (John 11:1). Jesus decided to go to him, but, so He
could perform a miracle to strengthen His disciples’ faith, He
waited until Lazarus died.
Before going to Bethany, Jesus discussed the condition of
Lazarus with His disciples. He told them Lazarus was asleep
and that He was going to awaken him ( John 11:11-14 ). The
disciples responded that sleep was good because it would
help him get well (John 11:12). Jesus then plainly told them,
“Lazarus is dead” (John 11:14 ). Notice that Jesus stated
emphatically that Lazarus was dead, but at the same time He
described death as a condition like sleep.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 8:03pm On Dec 09, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I don't think you did. I only saw you reiterating the position that I was challenging, not answering the challenges that I offered to you.

But, no matter, it really would be a waste of my time and energy to engage any further. I don't think you will or can answer my challenges any better than you have done.

Revelation 14:13

And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, "Write, 'Blessed are
the dead who die in the Lord from now on!'" "Yes," says the
Spirit, "so that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds
follow with them."

I came across this Bible verse today, and i was wondering how those who died in Lord will resting and there soul and spirit will still be alive, conscious and working?
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 8:17pm On Dec 09, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I don't think you did. I only saw you reiterating the position that I was challenging, not answering the challenges that I offered to you.

But, no matter, it really would be a waste of my time and energy to engage any further. I don't think you will or can answer my challenges any better than you have done.

Since we know that man was made from the dust and God gave him breathe(spirit) then man began to exist

The question is, the Soul or spirit of man which you claim live after the death of a man, was it existing before the creation of the man or did it began existing when God breathe into Body of man (dust)?

That question is for you to ponder on.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by jcross19: 8:54pm On Dec 09, 2019
blueAgent:

If the Spirit was alive and conscious after death as you claim.
Why is that you don't know what is happening around you when asleep? why is your spirit or Soul not keeping record or seeing what is happening within your environment while you are sleeping?

Note the Bible likened death to sleep.

Many centuries later the biblical account of the death of
Lazarus, a friend of Jesus, illustrates death to be a sleeplike
state. “Now a certain man was sick, Lazarus of
Bethany” (John 11:1). Jesus decided to go to him, but, so He
could perform a miracle to strengthen His disciples’ faith, He
waited until Lazarus died.
Before going to Bethany, Jesus discussed the condition of
Lazarus with His disciples. He told them Lazarus was asleep
and that He was going to awaken him ( John 11:11-14 ). The
disciples responded that sleep was good because it would
help him get well (John 11:12). Jesus then plainly told them,
“Lazarus is dead” (John 11:14 ). Notice that Jesus stated
emphatically that Lazarus was dead, but at the same time He
described death as a condition like sleep.
wait oooh! when you are sleeping , you are still canal minded all the quotations about the dead have no memo in the grave simply all flesh end in the dust but the spirit can't trapped in the grave ! the quotations talk about the flesh and truly there is different between flesh and spirit. flesh dies, decay and returned to the ground but spirit that energized the body does not die.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 8:35am On Dec 10, 2019
jcross19:
wait oooh! when you are sleeping , you are still canal minded all the quotations about the dead have no memo in the grave simply all flesh end in the dust but the spirit can't trapped in the grave ! the quotations talk about the flesh and truly there is different between flesh and spirit. flesh dies, decay and returned to the ground but spirit that energized the body does not die.

Then show where it is written or explain while the dead do not know anything, are there spirit not supposed to know things?
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by jcross19: 2:39pm On Dec 10, 2019
blueAgent:

Then show where it is written or explain while the dead do not know anything, are there spirit no supposed to know things?
there is a gap between spirit world and canal world! it won't make sense to you if you don't believe in spirit world.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 10, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Hello.

Why then does the Bible say the following?

14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.
(KJV) Ecclesiastes 3:14

9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, 10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: 11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
(KJV) Revelation 14:9-11

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever...14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
(KJV) Revelation 20:10, 14-15

When we put check other Bible verses, then it becomes clear what this revelation 20 must mean. Literal torment? I don't think so.

The Bible was clear as to the wages of sin. It is death. Adam and Eve were rewarded with death - eternal death. In other words, anything more than that is no longer the wages.

However, the Bible often use the word fire symbolically as eternal destruction. That is a fine conclusion.

As for that Rev. 20:14, that place said that lake of fire means the second death. Extinction. That is clear, it was defined.

Again, that place mentioned hades, death were said to be cast into the lake of fire. Logically, these things are not immortal to undergo everlasting torture. The account must be talking about something else in a figurative language. Check Jude 7.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 10, 2019
jcross19:

Yet this spirit can feel the torture of a fire? And be entrapped in a location where there is fire.

1 Like

Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by jcross19: 5:46pm On Dec 10, 2019
JMAN05:

Yet this spirit can feel the torture of a fire? And be entrapped in a location where there is fire.
the bible says fear not who can only kill the flesh but can not hurt the spirit but fear him who can kill the flesh and destroy the spirit who is that the Almighty God , is the only one that can penetrate pain to the spirit.

1 Like

Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 8:08pm On Dec 10, 2019
jcross19:
there is a gap between spirit world and canal world! it won't make sense to you if you don't believe in spirit world.

All the things you are saying are pagan beliefs not Bible.
If there is any proof in the Bible you could have posted it.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by jcross19: 8:51pm On Dec 10, 2019
blueAgent:

1peter 3:18-21 21 New International Version (NIV)
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive,[a] he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.[b] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Now who are the guys in the spirit prison.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 9:24pm On Dec 10, 2019
jcross19:
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive,[a] he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.[b] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Now who are the guys in the spirit prison.

Do you have to twist and turn a Bible verse to suit your preconcieved beliefs?

If that was true then the Bible is wrong in saying that after death is judgement, since the spirits of the dead were preached to.

I will explain that Bible verse clearly to you when am less busy.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by MuttleyLaff: 9:35pm On Dec 10, 2019
jcross19:
there is a gap between spirit world and carnal world!
it won't make sense to you if you don't believe in spirit world.

blueAgent:
1000% bible. Sorry, lol

blueAgent:
"And besides all these things, a great chasm (i.e. gap, gulf, abyss, deep pit, deep ditch separating us) has been fixed between us and you, so that those desiring to pass from here to you are not able, nor can they pass from there to us."
- Luke 16:26

"9As the cloud is consumed and vanishes away: so he that goes down to the grave shall come up no more.
10He shall return no more to his house, neither shall his place know him any more.
"
- Job 7:9-10

You clearly need to brush up your bible, don't you, lol?
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by jcross19: 9:49pm On Dec 10, 2019
blueAgent:

If that was true then the Bible is wrong in saying that after death is judgement, since the spirits of the dead were preached to.

I did not form the verse it's directly from bible. I quoted it from bible!.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by MuttleyLaff: 9:54pm On Dec 10, 2019
blueAgent:
I agree with you that prooftexting is going on there.

blueAgent:
If that was true then the Bible is wrong in saying that after death is judgement, since the spirits of the dead were preached to
Being preached to is not the same as being judged. No one is and/or has been judged yet

blueAgent:
It very much will be of particular interest to me to know what perspective you have on 1 Peter 3:18-21, so kindly and please, notify me with a cc when you do get round to explain what those verses are about, lol
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by Ihedinobi3: 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2019
JMAN05:

When we put check other Bible verses, then it becomes clear what this revelation 20 must mean. Literal torment? I don't think so.

The Bible was clear as to the wages of sin. It is death. Adam and Eve were rewarded with death - eternal death. In other words, anything more than that is no longer the wages.

However, the Bible often use the word fire symbolically as eternal destruction. That is a fine conclusion.

As for that Rev. 20:14, that place said that lake of fire means the second death. Extinction. That is clear, it was defined.

Again, that place mentioned hades, death were said to be cast into the lake of fire. Logically, these things are not immortal to undergo everlasting torture. The account must be talking about something else in a figurative language. Check Jude 7.

I have answered much of the above in other comments (except for the idea that Adam and Eve were rewarded with "eternal death," I've never seen that anywhere in the Bible). Nonetheless, I don't discuss with Jehovah's Witnesses. You are all quarrelsome, and you have no respect for the Bible.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 5:00am On Dec 11, 2019
jcross19:
I did not form the verse it's directly from bible. I quoted it from bible!.

You quoted it wrongly.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by jcross19: 9:17am On Dec 11, 2019
blueAgent:

You quoted it wrongly.
ah I quoted directly what I saw in the bible okay can you please quote your own verses from the same chapter sir?
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by Nobody: 11:26am On Dec 11, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I have answered much of the above in other comments (except for the idea that Adam and Eve were rewarded with "eternal death," I've never seen that anywhere in the Bible). Nonetheless, I don't discuss with Jehovah's Witnesses. You are all quarrelsome, and you have no respect for the Bible.

I respect your decision dear. Just that I don't agree that we are quarrelsome. Did someone make u feel that way? If so, Apologies. We are imperfect. I agree on that.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 11, 2019
jcross19:
the bible says fear not who can only kill the flesh but can not hurt the spirit but fear him who can kill the flesh and destroy the spirit who is that the Almighty God , is the only one that can penetrate pain to the spirit.

That was well said. You know your Bible. Truely, God Almighty is the one that can kill the soul or as you said "destroy the "spirit"". Yes, destroy, not torture with fire.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by jcross19: 1:20pm On Dec 11, 2019
JMAN05:

That was well said. You know your Bible. Truely, God Almighty is the one that can kill the soul or as you said "destroy the "spirit"". Yes, destroy, not torture with fire.

destruction in bible mostly appeared figuratively but the truth is that " destroy "mean second death and second death mean everlasting torment in lake of fire!.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 4:11pm On Dec 11, 2019
jcross19:

Previous Next
6. - THE SPIRITS IN PRISON
“For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the
unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in
the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: by which also he went
and preached unto the spirits in prison; which sometime were
disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the
day of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that
is, eight souls, were saved by water.” 1 Peter 3:18-20 .
{HHMLD 93.1}
The advocates of natural immortality are not long in finding
their way to this passage. Here, it is claimed, are “spirits”
brought to view, out of the body; for they were the spirits of
the antediluvians: and they were conscious and intelligent; for
they could listen to the preaching of Christ, who, by his
conscious spirit, while his body lay in the grave, went to their
prison and preached to them. {HHMLD 93.2}
Let us see just what conclusions the popular interpretation of
this passage involves, that we may test its claims by the
Scriptures. 1. It is held that these were disembodied spirits,
but they were the spirits of wicked men; for they were
disobedient in the day of Noah, and perished in the flood. 2.
They were consequently in their place of punishment, the
place to which popular theology assigns all such spirits
immediately on their passing from this state of existence, - the
burning, quenchless hell of fire and brimstone. 3. The spirit of
Christ went into this hell to preach to them. These are the
facts that are to be cleared to improbabilities, and harmonized
with the Scriptures, before the passage can be made available
for the popular view. {HHMLD 93.3}
But the bare suggestion of no singular a transaction as
Christ’s going to preach to these spirits, under these
conditions, immediately gives rise to the query, for that
purpose Christ should take pains to go down into hell, to
preach to damned spirits there; and what message he could
possibly bear to them. The day of their probation was past;
they could not be helped by any gospel message: then why
preach to them? Would Christ go to taunt them by describing
before them blessings which they could never receive? or by
raising in their bosoms hopes of a release from damnation,
which he never designed to grant? {HHMLD 93.4}
These considerations fall like a mighty avalanche across they
way of the common interpretation. The thought is felt to be
almost an insuperable objection, and many are the shifts
devised to get around it. One think that the word “preached”
does not necessarily mean to “preach the gospel,”
notwithstanding almost every instance of the use of the word
in the New Testament describes the preaching of the gospel
by Christ or his apostles; but that Christ went there to
announce to the lost that his sufferings had been
accomplished, and that prophecies concerning him fulfilled.
But what possible object could there be in that? How would
that affect their condition? Was it to add poignancy to their
pain by rendering their misery doubly keen? And were there
not devils enough in hell to perform that work, without making
it necessary that Christ should perform such a ghostly task,
and that, too, right between those points of time when he laid
down his life for our sins, and was raised again for our
justification? {HHMLD 94.1}
Another thinks these were the spirits of such as repented
during the forty days’ rain of the flood; that they were with the
saved in paradise, a department of the under world where the
spirits of the good are kept (the Elysium, in fact, of ancient
heathen mythology), but that they “still felt uneasy on account
of having perished [that is, lost their bodies] under a divine
judgment,” and “were now assured by Jesus that their
repentance had been accepted.” {HHMLD 94.2}
Such resorts show the desperate extremities to which the
popular exposition of this passage is driven, and afford aid
and comfort to the Romish purgatory. {HHMLD 95.1}
Others frankly acknowledge that they cannot tell what, nor for
what purpose, Christ preached to the lost in hell. So does
Landis (p. 236). But he says it makes no difference if we
cannot tell what he preached nor why he preached, since we
have the assurance that he did go there and preach. Profound
conclusion! Would it not be better, since we have the
assurance that he preached, to conclude that he preached at a
time when preaching could benefit them, rather than at a time
when we know that it could not profit them, and there could
be no occasion for it whatever? {HHMLD 95.2}
The whole issue thus turns on the question, When was this
work of preaching performed? Some will say. “While they were
in prison, and that means the state of death, and shows that
the dead are conscious, and can be preached to.” Then, we
reply, the dead can also be benefited by preaching, and led to
repentance; and then the Romish doctrine of purgatory springs
at once fullfledged into our creed; and not only that, but that
worse than the Romish purgatory, the modern doctrine of
probation after death, is sustained. {HHMLD 95.3}
But does the text affirm that the preaching was done to these
spirits while they were in prison? May it not be that the
preaching was done at some previous time to persons who
were, when Peter wrote, in prison, or, if you please, in a state
of death? So it would be true that the spirits were in prison
when Peter makes mention of them, and yet the preaching
might have been done to them at a former period, while they
were still in the flesh and could be benefited by it. This is the
view taken of the passage by Dr. Clarke. He says:- {HHMLD
95.4}
“[ He went and preached ] By the ministry of Noah one hundred
and twenty years.” {HHMLD 96.1}
Thus he places Christ’s going and preaching by his spirit in
the days of Noah, and not during the time his body lay in the
grave. {HHMLD 96.2}
Again, he says:- {HHMLD 96.3}
“The word, ‘spirits,’ is supposed to render this view of the
subject improbable, because this must mean disembodied
spirits; but this certainly does not follow; for the spirits of just
men made perfect (Hebrews 12:23 ) certainly means righteous
men, and men still in the church militant; and the Father of
spirits (Hebrews 12:9 ) means men still in the body ; and the
God of the spirits of all flesh (Numbers 16:22 and 27:16 )
means men not in a disembodied state.” 1 {HHMLD 96.4}
The preaching was certainly to the antediluvians. But why,
according to the popular notion, should Christ single out that
class to preach to, about twenty-four hundred years afterward,
in hell? The whole idea is forced, unnatural, and absurd. The
preaching that was given to them was through Noah, who, by
the power of the Holy Ghost (1 Peter 1:12 ), delivered to them
the message of warning. Let this be the preaching referred to,
and all is harmonious and clear; and this interpretation the
construction of the original demands; for the word rendered in
our version. “Were disobedient,” is simply the aorist participle;
and the dependent sentence, “when once the long-suffering of
God waited in the days of Noah,” limits the verb “preached”
rather than the participle. The whole passage might be
translated thus: “In which also, having gone to the spirits in
prison, he preached to the then disobedient ones, when once
[or at the time when] the long-suffering of God waited in the
days of Noah.” Christ is said to have preached because it was
Christ’s Spirit in Noah. Noah was his representative; and
according to the Latin maxim, “ Qui facit per alium, facit per
se ,” “What one does through another, he does himself,” the
preaching of Noah by this means, was the preaching of Christ.
{HHMLD 96.5}
But in what sense were they in prison? - In the same sense in
which persons in error and darkness are said to be in prison.
Isaiah 42:7 : “To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners
from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the
prison-house.” Also Isaiah 61:1 : “The Spirit of the Lord God is
upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good
tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the broken-
hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of
the prison to them that are bound.” Christ himself declared
(Luke 4:18-21 ) that this scripture was fulfilled in his mission
to those here on earth who sat in darkness and error, and
under the dominion of sin. So the antediluvians were shut up
under the sentence of condemnation. Their days were limited
to a hundred and twenty years; and their only way of escape
from impending destruction was through the preaching of
Noah. Genesis 6:3 . {HHMLD 97.1}
So much with reference to the spirits to whom the preaching
was given. Now we affirm further that Christ’s Spirit did not
go anywhere to preach to anybody while he lay in the grave. If
Christ’s Spirit, the real being, the divine part, did survive the
death of the cross, then - {HHMLD 97.2}
1. We have only a human offering as a sacrifice for our sins;
and the claim of Spiritualists, which no Christian can hear
without a shudder, is true, that the blood of Christ is no more
than that of any man. {HHMLD 97.3}
2. Then Christ did not pour out his soul unto death, and make
it an offering for sin , as the prophet declared that he would do
(Isaiah 58:10, 12); and his soul was not sorrowful even unto
death, as he himself affirmed that it was. Matthew 26:38 .
{HHMLD 98.1}
3. The text says Christ was “quickened by the Spirit;” and
between his death and quickening no action is affirmed of
him; and hence for any one to affirm that he was alive and
active during this time, is only assumption. There can be no
doubt but the “quickening” here brought to view was his
resurrection. The Greek word is a very strong one,, “to impart
life, to make alive.” He was put to death in the flesh, but
made alive by the Spirit. Mr. Landis (p. 232) labors hard to
turn this word from its natural meaning, and make it signify,
not giving life, but continuing alive. It is impossible to regard
this as anything better than unmitigated sophistry. The verb is
a regular, active verb. In the passive voice it expresses an
action received. Christ did not continue alive, but was made
alive by the Spirit. Then he was for a time dead. How long? -
From the cross to the resurrection. Romans 1:4 . So he says
himself in Revelation 1:18 , “I am he that liveth, and was
dead.” Yet men will stand up, and for the purpose of
sustaining a pet theory, rob the world’s Offering of all its
virtue, and nullify the whole plan of salvation, by declaring
that Christ never was dead! {HHMLD 98.2}
The word “quicken” is the same that is used in Romans 8:11 :
“But if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead,
dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also
quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.”
God brought again our Lord from the dead by the Holy Spirit;
and by the same Spirit are his followers to be raised up at the
last day. {HHMLD 98.3}
But that Christ went anywhere in Spirit, or did any action
between his death and quickening, is what the Scriptures
nowhere affirm, and what no man has a right to claim.
{HHMLD 99.1}
Mr. Landis (p. 235) argues that this preaching could not have
been in the days of Noah, because the events narrated took
place this side the death of Christ. Why did he not say this
side the resurrection of Christ? - Oh! that would spoil it all.
But the record shows upon its very face that if it refers to a
time subsequent to Christ’s death, it was also subsequent to
his resurrection; for if events are here stated in chronological
order, the resurrection of Christ, as well as his death, comes
before his preaching. Thus, (1) he was “put to death in the
flesh;” (2) “was quickened by the Spirit,” which was his
resurrection, as no man with any show of reason can dispute;
and (3) “went and preached to the spirits in prison.” So the
preaching does not come in, on this ground, till after Christ
was made alive from the dead. {HHMLD 99.2}
Some people seem to treat the Scriptures as if they were
given to man that he might exercise his inventive powers in
trying to misunderstand or pervert them to avoid the doctrines
they teach. But no inventive power that the human mind has
yet developed will enable a man, let him plan, contrive, devise,
and arrange as he may, to fix this preaching of Christ between
his death and resurrection. If he could fix it there, what would
it prove? The man of sin would rise up and bless him from
his papal throne, for proving his darling purgatory. Such a
position may do for Mormons, Mohammedans, pagans, and
papists; but let no Protestant try to defend it, and not hang his
head for shame. Mr. Landis says that “Mr. Dobney and the
rest of the fraternity conveniently forget that there is any such
passage [as 1 Peter 3:19 ] in the word of God.” But we cannot
help thinking that it would have been well for him, and saved
a pitiful displays of distorted, not to say dishonest, logic, if he
had been prudent enough to forget it too. {HHMLD 99.3}
Another testimony in favor of the correct view, which is entitled
to respectful consideration, may here be introduced. It is from
Alvah Hovey, D. D., of Newton Theological Seminary, and is
issued in a pamphlet entitled, “State of Men after Death,”
published by the American Baptist Publication Society,
Philadelphia. He contends that those to whom Christ went and
preached, were those who were disobedient in the days of
Noah, and that he preached during the time when Noah was
preparing the ark; and he declares that “neither human reason,
nor the word of God give a shadow of support” to the
assumption that any who have not repented of sin in the
present life, will be likely to do so in the intermediate state.
From his argument we quote the following passages (pp.
82-86):- {HHMLD 100.1}
“It seems to me that the apostle intended to represent the
going and preaching as belonging to the same period of time
with the disobedience and long-suffering.... The participle may
be rendered ‘when they were disobedient’ just as a similar
participle is translated by Hackett, Conant, Noyes, and Alford
(Acts 19:2 ). ‘Did ye receive the Holy Spirit ye believed?’ ...
Nay, it is possible that the phrase ‘spirits in prison,’ was
Peter’s customary designation for the ungodly of former times,
even when he was referring to their earthly career.... If the
Spirit, then, was Christ’s Spirit, the preaching of the
illuminated prophet was Christ’s preaching, and any contempt
or disobedience to that preaching, was contempt or
disobedience to him .... But if the preaching referred to by
Peter was accomplished in hades, it is not so easy to
understand why the contemporaries of Noah are singled out
as the particular spirits addressed. [If this view be taken of it,
he says,] we have no knowledge whatever of the message
delivered by Christ in spirit; if he went and preached to the
dead in hades, we are profoundly ignorant of what he
announced; and it is not surprising that those who adopt this
theory, differ greatly as to the nature of his supposed
message.”
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 4:18pm On Dec 11, 2019
jcross19:

1 Peter 3:18
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the
unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death
in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit.
Christ, who is righteous, took upon himself the sins of his
unrighteous people. Christ suffered for his people ( Isa
53:1-12 ). We remember that Peter already mentioned the
concept suffering unjustly (see 1 Pet. 2:20-24 ; 3:14 , 17). Now
he states that Christ suffered, not for the righteous, but for the
unrighteous.
Jesus is "the Holy and Righteous One" ( Acts 3:14 ; 7:52 ; 22:14 ;
1 John 2:1 , 29). Jesus is righteous, that is, without sin. As
Paul writes, "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us,
so that in him we might become the righteousness of God" (2
Cor. 5:21 ). Jesus fulfilled God's demand for justice, paid the
penalty that was ours, and offered himself as a sacrifice "to
take away the sins of many people" (Heb. 9:28 ; cf. Isa 53:12 ).
Jesus "was put to death in the body but made alive by the
Spirit." See Romans 1:4 ; 8:9-11 . See WCF 8.2; 8.7; BC 21; HC
16, 37.
The same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead (1 Pet. 3:18 ;
Gen. 6:3 ) saves repentant sinners by grace alone ( John 3:1-8 ;
cf. Gen. 6:8 ; Eph. 2:8-10 ).
1 Peter 3:19-20
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in
prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the
longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the
ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were
saved by water.
Four main interpretations of have been promoted of 1 Peter
3:19-20 :
(1) The section refers to preincarnate preaching (i.e., that
Christ preached through Noah [cf. 2 Pet. 2:5 ] to Noah's
wicked contemporaries while they were still alive). He
called them to repentance, but they disobeyed and are
now imprisoned. The point of Peter's argument would
then be the parallel between God's vindication of Noah in
a world of unbelievers and his vindication of Christians in
similar circumstances. This is the most reasonable
interpretation of our passage.
(2) This passage refers to preresurrection preaching (i.e.,
preaching that occurred between Christ's death and
resurrection, during a "descent into hell"wink. One variation of
this view holds that Christ announced his victory and their
doom to the spirits of Noah's wicked contemporaries in
the place of the dead.
(3) Another version of the preresurrection approach holds
that Christ proclaimed the same message to fallen angels,
who are often identified with the "sons of God" of Genesis
6:2 , 4 (cf. Job 1:6 ; 2:1 ), in their place of confinement.
(4) These two verses refer to postresurrection preaching
(i.e., Christ proclaimed his victory to fallen angels at the
time of his ascension into heaven). The point of the last
three interpretations is that just as Jesus was vindicated,
so God will vindicate Christians. In no case was Peter
suggesting that Christ offered deceased unbelievers an
opportunity to receive the gospel and thus be saved.
One should probably agree with Grudem on his interpretation:
19. Taken by itself, the phrase spirits in prison could refer
either to human spirits in hell or to fallen angelic spirits in
hell. 2 Peter 2:4 and Jude 1:6 speak of sinful angels being
imprisoned and punished, while Luke 16:23-24 and 2 Peter
2:9 refer to unbelievers who have died and are in a place
of punishment. . . . and in every case where it means
'angelic spirit' as well as every case where it means
'human spirit' the context makes it clear what kind of spirit
is meant.
20. The spirits in prison are those who formerly did not
obey (better: 'disobeyed', since the word has a sense of
active rebellion), when God's patience waited in the days
of Noah, during the building of the ark. These phrases
indicate that only human spirits can be intended, for
nowhere in the Bible or in Jewish literature outside of the
Bible are angels ever said to have disobeyed 'during the
building of the ark'. Genesis 6:5-13 clearly emphasizes the
human sin, which provoked God to flood the earth in
judgment. . . . When God's patience waited in the days of
Noah also suggests human, rather than angelic,
disobedience. God's patience waited for human beings to
repent before bringing the judgment of the flood (this is
also a frequent theme in extra-biblical literature), but never
is there any hint that fallen angels have a chance to repent
- it is only given to sinful human beings (cf. 2 Pet. 2:4 ;
Jude 1:6 ).
But why does Peter refer to 'spirits' if he has in view
disobedience by human beings who were not just 'spirits'
but bodies as well? This is best explained by
understanding the text to mean 'spirits who are now in
prison' (i.e. at the time Peter was writing), but who were
people on earth at the time of Noah, when Christ was
preaching to them. (The NASB translates, 'the spirits now
in prison'.) A similar expression is found a few verses
later at 1 Pet. 4:6 , 'For this is why the gospel was
preached even to the dead', which is best understood to
mean 'the gospel was preached to those who are now
dead' (but who were alive when the gospel was preached
to them; see discussion below). One can speak the same
way in English: 'Queen Elizabeth was born in 1926' is an
appropriate statement, even though she was not Queen
when she was born - we mean 'She who is now Queen
Elizabeth was born in 1926.'
The phrase who formerly did not obey is better translated
'when they formerly disobeyed', thus specifying that this
was the time when Christ 'in spirit' preached to these
people: i.e. 'when they formerly disobeyed when God's
patience was waiting in the days of Noah, during the
building of the ark.' Peter elsewhere mentions ideas
similar to the thought that Christ 'in spirit' preached
through Noah, for in 1 Pet. 1:11 the Spirit of Christ is said
to have been active in the prophets of the Old Testament
era (cf. 1 Cor. 10:4 ).
Although Peter does not specifically call Noah a prophet in
2 Peter 2:5 , he terms him a 'herald of righteousness', and
uses the noun (keryx) which is related to the verb
'preached' (kerysso) in 1 Pet. 3:20 .
By saying that Christ went and preached rather than just
saying that he 'preached', Peter suggests that Christ did
not stay in heaven but 'went' to where people were
disobeying, and there preached to them through the lips
of Noah. The content of this preaching was not a
message of final condemnation . . . or the completion of
redemption . . . , but concerned the need to repent and
come to God for salvation. This is what Noah would have
preached to those around him (even without extra-biblical
literature we would draw this conclusion from 2 Pet. 2:4 ).
It is the right message to preach when people are
disobeying 'while God's patience is waiting' (cf. 2 Pet.
3:9 ).
This interpretation is very appropriate to the larger context
of 1 Pet. 3:13-22 . The parallel between the situation of
Noah and the situation of Peters readers is clear at several
(1) Noah and his family were a minority surrounded
by hostile unbelievers; so are Peter's readers (1 Pet.
3:13-14 ; 4:4 , 12-13 ).
(2) Noah was righteous in the midst of a wicked
world. Peter exhorts his readers to be righteous in
the midst of wicked unbelievers (1 Pet. 3:13-14 ,
16-17 ; 4:3-4 ).
(3) Noah witnessed boldly to those around him.
Peter encourages his readers to be good witnesses
to unbelievers around them (1 Pet. 3:14 , 16-17 ),
being willing to suffer, if need be, to bring others to
God (just as Christ was willing to suffer and die
'that he might bring us to God', 1 Pet. 3:18 ).
(4) Noah realized that judgment was soon to come
upon the world. Peter reminds his readers that
God's judgment is certainly coming, perhaps soon
(1 Pet. 4:5 , 7; 2 Pet. 3:10 ).
(5) In the unseen 'spiritual' realm Christ preached
through Noah to unbelievers around him. By saying
this Peter can remind his readers of the reality of
Christ's work in the unseen spiritual realm and the
fact that Christ is also in them, empowering their
witness and making it spiritually effective (cf. 1 Pet.
1:8 , 11, 12 , 25; 2:4 ). Therefore, they should not fear
(1 Pet. 3:14 ) but in their hearts should 'reverence
Christ as Lord' and should 'always be prepared' to
tell of the hope that is in them ( 1 Pet. 3:15 ).
(6) At the time of Noah, God was patiently awaiting
repentance from unbelievers, before he brought
judgment. So it is in the situation of Peter's readers:
God is patiently awaiting repentance from
unbelievers (cf. 2 Pet. 3:9 ) before bringing judgment
on the world (cf. 2 Pet. 3:10 ).
(7) Noah was finally saved, with 'a few' others.
Peter thus encourages his readers that, though
perhaps few, they too will finally be saved, for
Christ has triumphed and has all things subject to
him (1 Pet. 3:22 ; 4:13 , 19; 5:10 ; 2 Pet. 2:9 ).
This passage, once cleared of misunderstanding,
should also function today as an encouragement to
us to be bold in our witness (as Noah was), to be
confident that, though we may be few, God will
certainly save us (as he did Noah), and to remind
us that just as certainly as the flood eventually
came, so final judgment will certainly come to our
world as well, and Christ will ultimately triumph
over all the evil in the universe.
1 Peter 3:21
The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also
now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the
flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward
God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
If the basis of one's salvation is Christ ("It saves you by
the resurrection of Jesus Christ"wink, what does Peter mean
by "baptism that now saves you?" Peter clearly says it
saves one "not as a removal of dirt from the body." It is
not the physical act which washes dirt from the body that
saves a person - in other words, nothing man can do
(John 1:13 ; Rom. 9:16 ) - but a "clear conscience toward
God," which is by grace alone (Heb. 9:14 ; cf. Prov. 20:27 )
. Describing the conscience, Thomas Watson in Body of
Practical Divinity states:
A good conscience has God for its object, it
respects his word, will, and worship; and therefore
is called, "conscience towards God" (1 Pet. 2:19 ),
as repentance is repentance towards God, and faith
is faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ; . . .
"conscience of God," which is of God, has God for
its author, being implanted in the mind of man by
him; it is God's vice-regent [an officer appointed as
deputy by and to a sovereign or supreme chief],
which acts for him, and under him, and is
accountable to him.
Peter was consistent with the other apostles (cf. Eph.
2:8-10 ) who taught salvation by faith alone (1 Pet.
1:18-19 ). He was not teaching the (Roman Catholic,
Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and in some circles
Lutheran, etc.) doctrine of baptismal regeneration (a
baptism which "signifies and actually brings about the
birth of water and the Spirit without which no one 'can
enter the kingdom of God'" - Section 1215 of the CCC).
Baptism is a sign and seal of being in God's covenant (as
circumcision was in the Old Covenant - Gen. 17:7-14 ) in
which there are covenant stipulations (see "Covenants in
General" below) of both blessings for obedience and
cursing for disobedience for both saved and lost. A person
in the Old Covenant could be circumcised (Gen 17:26 ) and
yet lost. See "Was Ishmael Saved?" below. The same goes
for baptism in the New Covenant (Simon in Acts 8:13-24 ;
Alexander in 2 Tim 4:14 , etc.).
Many commentators see a connection between the Old
Testament rite of circumcision and the New Testament
sacrament of baptism. Peter's wording of "removal of dirt
from the body" probably implies that he was thinking
about the rite of circumcision. Note that "circumcision"
was a command given after Abraham had faith.
Circumcision saved nobody. It was a covenant sign. The
Old Testament saints were saved the same way New
Testament saints are - through the gift of faith alone ( Gal
3:8 ). As Paul says, "If you belong to Christ, then you are
Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Gal
3:29 ). See WCF 27.3; WLC 161, 163, 167; WSC 91; BC 34;
HC 69, 72.
1 Peter 3:22
"God's right hand" is the place in the universe of supreme
privilege and sovereignty (Eph. 1:20-23 ; Heb. 1:3 ). Christ
defeated principalities and powers (Col. 2:15 ), and when
Christ ascended to Heaven, he proclaimed victory over the
spiritual forces that were at enmity with him (Eph. 2:2 ;
6:12 ). In Psalm 110:1 , which Jesus applied to himself
(Matt. 22:41-46 ), we read that upon his enthronement,
Christ triumphs over his enemies. See WLC 54.
So: (1) Baptism does save, not by literally washing one's
sins away, but as Peter says, through "a good conscience,
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" which is a gift of
God alone ( Heb 9:14 ; Jas 1:17 ; cf. Gen 3:7-8 ; Rom
2:14-15 ; 1 Pet 1:3 ). (2) In addition, Jesus didn't preach
the gospel in Hell, but rather he preached the gospel
through Noah to unbelievers, presently in Hell, while they
were still upon the earth (1 Pet 4:6 ; 2 Pet 2:5 )
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 11, 2019
jcross19:
destruction in bible mostly appeared figuratively but the truth is that " destroy "mean second death and second death mean everlasting torment in lake of fire!.

Hope the word for destroy which we are discussing is from Matt 10:28?

28And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

If I understand, you are saying that "destroy" as used in this verse refers to "second death"? If so, how do you reach that conclusion?
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by jcross19: 9:51pm On Dec 11, 2019
blueAgent:

1 Peter 3:18
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the
unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death
in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit.
Christ, who is righteous, took upon himself the sins of his
unrighteous people. Christ suffered for his people ( Isa
53:1-12 ). We remember that Peter already mentioned the
concept suffering unjustly (see 1 Pet. 2:20-24 ; 3:14 , 17). Now
he states that Christ suffered, not for the righteous, but for the
unrighteous.
Jesus is "the Holy and Righteous One" ( Acts 3:14 ; 7:52 ; 22:14 ;
1 John 2:1 , 29). Jesus is righteous, that is, without sin. As
Paul writes, "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us,
so that in him we might become the righteousness of God" (2
Cor. 5:21 ). Jesus fulfilled God's demand for justice, paid the
penalty that was ours, and offered himself as a sacrifice "to
take away the sins of many people" (Heb. 9:28 ; cf. Isa 53:12 ).
Jesus "was put to death in the body but made alive by the
Spirit." See Romans 1:4 ; 8:9-11 . See WCF 8.2; 8.7; BC 21; HC
16, 37.
The same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead (1 Pet. 3:18 ;
Gen. 6:3 ) saves repentant sinners by grace alone ( John 3:1-8 ;
cf. Gen. 6:8 ; Eph. 2:8-10 ).
1 Peter 3:19-20
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in
prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the
longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the
ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were
saved by water.
Four main interpretations of have been promoted of 1 Peter
3:19-20 :
(1) The section refers to preincarnate preaching (i.e., that
Christ preached through Noah [cf. 2 Pet. 2:5 ] to Noah's
wicked contemporaries while they were still alive). He
called them to repentance, but they disobeyed and are
now imprisoned. The point of Peter's argument would
then be the parallel between God's vindication of Noah in
a world of unbelievers and his vindication of Christians in
similar circumstances. This is the most reasonable
interpretation of our passage.
(2) This passage refers to preresurrection preaching (i.e.,
preaching that occurred between Christ's death and
resurrection, during a "descent into hell"wink. One variation of
this view holds that Christ announced his victory and their
doom to the spirits of Noah's wicked contemporaries in
the place of the dead.
(3) Another version of the preresurrection approach holds
that Christ proclaimed the same message to fallen angels,
who are often identified with the "sons of God" of Genesis
6:2 , 4 (cf. Job 1:6 ; 2:1 ), in their place of confinement.
(4) These two verses refer to postresurrection preaching
(i.e., Christ proclaimed his victory to fallen angels at the
time of his ascension into heaven). The point of the last
three interpretations is that just as Jesus was vindicated,
so God will vindicate Christians. In no case was Peter
suggesting that Christ offered deceased unbelievers an
opportunity to receive the gospel and thus be saved.
One should probably agree with Grudem on his interpretation:
19. Taken by itself, the phrase spirits in prison could refer
either to human spirits in hell or to fallen angelic spirits in
hell. 2 Peter 2:4 and Jude 1:6 speak of sinful angels being
imprisoned and punished, while Luke 16:23-24 and 2 Peter
2:9 refer to unbelievers who have died and are in a place
of punishment. . . . and in every case where it means
'angelic spirit' as well as every case where it means
'human spirit' the context makes it clear what kind of spirit
is meant.
20. The spirits in prison are those who formerly did not
obey (better: 'disobeyed', since the word has a sense of
active rebellion), when God's patience waited in the days
of Noah, during the building of the ark. These phrases
indicate that only human spirits can be intended, for
nowhere in the Bible or in Jewish literature outside of the
Bible are angels ever said to have disobeyed 'during the
building of the ark'. Genesis 6:5-13 clearly emphasizes the
human sin, which provoked God to flood the earth in
judgment. . . . When God's patience waited in the days of
Noah also suggests human, rather than angelic,
disobedience. God's patience waited for human beings to
repent before bringing the judgment of the flood (this is
also a frequent theme in extra-biblical literature), but never
is there any hint that fallen angels have a chance to repent
- it is only given to sinful human beings (cf. 2 Pet. 2:4 ;
Jude 1:6 ).
But why does Peter refer to 'spirits' if he has in view
disobedience by human beings who were not just 'spirits'
but bodies as well? This is best explained by
understanding the text to mean 'spirits who are now in
prison' (i.e. at the time Peter was writing), but who were
people on earth at the time of Noah, when Christ was
preaching to them. (The NASB translates, 'the spirits now
in prison'.) A similar expression is found a few verses
later at 1 Pet. 4:6 , 'For this is why the gospel was
preached even to the dead', which is best understood to
mean 'the gospel was preached to those who are now
dead' (but who were alive when the gospel was preached
to them; see discussion below). One can speak the same
way in English: 'Queen Elizabeth was born in 1926' is an
appropriate statement, even though she was not Queen
when she was born - we mean 'She who is now Queen
Elizabeth was born in 1926.'
The phrase who formerly did not obey is better translated
'when they formerly disobeyed', thus specifying that this
was the time when Christ 'in spirit' preached to these
people: i.e. 'when they formerly disobeyed when God's
patience was waiting in the days of Noah, during the
building of the ark.' Peter elsewhere mentions ideas
similar to the thought that Christ 'in spirit' preached
through Noah, for in 1 Pet. 1:11 the Spirit of Christ is said
to have been active in the prophets of the Old Testament
era (cf. 1 Cor. 10:4 ).
Although Peter does not specifically call Noah a prophet in
2 Peter 2:5 , he terms him a 'herald of righteousness', and
uses the noun (keryx) which is related to the verb
'preached' (kerysso) in 1 Pet. 3:20 .
By saying that Christ went and preached rather than just
saying that he 'preached', Peter suggests that Christ did
not stay in heaven but 'went' to where people were
disobeying, and there preached to them through the lips
of Noah. The content of this preaching was not a
message of final condemnation . . . or the completion of
redemption . . . , but concerned the need to repent and
come to God for salvation. This is what Noah would have
preached to those around him (even without extra-biblical
literature we would draw this conclusion from 2 Pet. 2:4 ).
It is the right message to preach when people are
disobeying 'while God's patience is waiting' (cf. 2 Pet.
3:9 ).
This interpretation is very appropriate to the larger context
of 1 Pet. 3:13-22 . The parallel between the situation of
Noah and the situation of Peters readers is clear at several
(1) Noah and his family were a minority surrounded
by hostile unbelievers; so are Peter's readers (1 Pet.
3:13-14 ; 4:4 , 12-13 ).
(2) Noah was righteous in the midst of a wicked
world. Peter exhorts his readers to be righteous in
the midst of wicked unbelievers (1 Pet. 3:13-14 ,
16-17 ; 4:3-4 ).
(3) Noah witnessed boldly to those around him.
Peter encourages his readers to be good witnesses
to unbelievers around them (1 Pet. 3:14 , 16-17 ),
being willing to suffer, if need be, to bring others to
God (just as Christ was willing to suffer and die
'that he might bring us to God', 1 Pet. 3:18 ).
(4) Noah realized that judgment was soon to come
upon the world. Peter reminds his readers that
God's judgment is certainly coming, perhaps soon
(1 Pet. 4:5 , 7; 2 Pet. 3:10 ).
(5) In the unseen 'spiritual' realm Christ preached
through Noah to unbelievers around him. By saying
this Peter can remind his readers of the reality of
Christ's work in the unseen spiritual realm and the
fact that Christ is also in them, empowering their
witness and making it spiritually effective (cf. 1 Pet.
1:8 , 11, 12 , 25; 2:4 ). Therefore, they should not fear
(1 Pet. 3:14 ) but in their hearts should 'reverence
Christ as Lord' and should 'always be prepared' to
tell of the hope that is in them ( 1 Pet. 3:15 ).
(6) At the time of Noah, God was patiently awaiting
repentance from unbelievers, before he brought
judgment. So it is in the situation of Peter's readers:
God is patiently awaiting repentance from
unbelievers (cf. 2 Pet. 3:9 ) before bringing judgment
on the world (cf. 2 Pet. 3:10 ).
(7) Noah was finally saved, with 'a few' others.
Peter thus encourages his readers that, though
perhaps few, they too will finally be saved, for
Christ has triumphed and has all things subject to
him (1 Pet. 3:22 ; 4:13 , 19; 5:10 ; 2 Pet. 2:9 ).
This passage, once cleared of misunderstanding,
should also function today as an encouragement to
us to be bold in our witness (as Noah was), to be
confident that, though we may be few, God will
certainly save us (as he did Noah), and to remind
us that just as certainly as the flood eventually
came, so final judgment will certainly come to our
world as well, and Christ will ultimately triumph
over all the evil in the universe.
1 Peter 3:21
The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also
now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the
flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward
God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
If the basis of one's salvation is Christ ("It saves you by
the resurrection of Jesus Christ"wink, what does Peter mean
by "baptism that now saves you?" Peter clearly says it
saves one "not as a removal of dirt from the body." It is
not the physical act which washes dirt from the body that
saves a person - in other words, nothing man can do
(John 1:13 ; Rom. 9:16 ) - but a "clear conscience toward
God," which is by grace alone (Heb. 9:14 ; cf. Prov. 20:27 )
. Describing the conscience, Thomas Watson in Body of
Practical Divinity states:
A good conscience has God for its object, it
respects his word, will, and worship; and therefore
is called, "conscience towards God" (1 Pet. 2:19 ),
as repentance is repentance towards God, and faith
is faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ; . . .
"conscience of God," which is of God, has God for
its author, being implanted in the mind of man by
him; it is God's vice-regent [an officer appointed as
deputy by and to a sovereign or supreme chief],
which acts for him, and under him, and is
accountable to him.
Peter was consistent with the other apostles (cf. Eph.
2:8-10 ) who taught salvation by faith alone (1 Pet.
1:18-19 ). He was not teaching the (Roman Catholic,
Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and in some circles
Lutheran, etc.) doctrine of baptismal regeneration (a
baptism which "signifies and actually brings about the
birth of water and the Spirit without which no one 'can
enter the kingdom of God'" - Section 1215 of the CCC).
Baptism is a sign and seal of being in God's covenant (as
circumcision was in the Old Covenant - Gen. 17:7-14 ) in
which there are covenant stipulations (see "Covenants in
General" below) of both blessings for obedience and
cursing for disobedience for both saved and lost. A person
in the Old Covenant could be circumcised (Gen 17:26 ) and
yet lost. See "Was Ishmael Saved?" below. The same goes
for baptism in the New Covenant (Simon in Acts 8:13-24 ;
Alexander in 2 Tim 4:14 , etc.).
Many commentators see a connection between the Old
Testament rite of circumcision and the New Testament
sacrament of baptism. Peter's wording of "removal of dirt
from the body" probably implies that he was thinking
about the rite of circumcision. Note that "circumcision"
was a command given after Abraham had faith.
Circumcision saved nobody. It was a covenant sign. The
Old Testament saints were saved the same way New
Testament saints are - through the gift of faith alone ( Gal
3:8 ). As Paul says, "If you belong to Christ, then you are
Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Gal
3:29 ). See WCF 27.3; WLC 161, 163, 167; WSC 91; BC 34;
HC 69, 72.
1 Peter 3:22
"God's right hand" is the place in the universe of supreme
privilege and sovereignty (Eph. 1:20-23 ; Heb. 1:3 ). Christ
defeated principalities and powers (Col. 2:15 ), and when
Christ ascended to Heaven, he proclaimed victory over the
spiritual forces that were at enmity with him (Eph. 2:2 ;
6:12 ). In Psalm 110:1 , which Jesus applied to himself
(Matt. 22:41-46 ), we read that upon his enthronement,
Christ triumphs over his enemies. See WLC 54.
So: (1) Baptism does save, not by literally washing one's
sins away, but as Peter says, through "a good conscience,
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" which is a gift of
God alone ( Heb 9:14 ; Jas 1:17 ; cf. Gen 3:7-8 ; Rom
2:14-15 ; 1 Pet 1:3 ). (2) In addition, Jesus didn't preach
the gospel in Hell, but rather he preached the gospel
through Noah to unbelievers, presently in Hell, while they
were still upon the earth (1 Pet 4:6 ; 2 Pet 2:5 )
no matter how you quotes the whole bible the word of God stand firm. See no quotations can justify your unbelieve about spirit , you will know the truth after your death okay no rush.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by blueAgent(m): 10:21pm On Dec 12, 2019
jcross19:
ah I quoted directly what I saw in the bible okay can you please quote your own verses from the same chapter sir?

You quoted what your preconcieved beliefs told you not what is in the Bible.

The Bible says the word of God cannot be broken, thus to say the every word of God must harmonize with each other.
From that Bible verse it is clear and evident that Paul was referring to the conscience, mind,thoughts, will (mind)of the people in Noah's days.

1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a PREPARING, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

As we can see the preaching was done while God was waiting for them to turn around and repent
(120yrs).
this disproves any argument that it was were Jesus went when he died.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

This Bible verse is not talking about Jesus been alive in the spirit, rather it is telling us that Jesus through the power and agency of the Holyspirit was the one through Noah who was preaching to the people in the time of Noah for 120yrs asking them to repent.
This verse also explains to us that it was that same spirit that brought Jesus to live that was agency for christ preaching in the days of Noah.

Of cos anyone who lives in sin is in prison or bondage.

If we are to accept the lie that spirits live after death and Jesus went to Hell to preach to them.
Then it contradicts God's words to prophet Ezekiel.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. Ezekiel 18:22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live. Ezekiel 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die. Ezekiel 18:26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die. Ezekiel 33:12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.
Re: Do Man And Satan Have Immortality? by jcross19: 10:32pm On Dec 12, 2019
blueAgent:

You quoted what your preconcieved beliefs told you not what is in the Bible.

The Bible says the word of God cannot be broken, thus to say the every word of God must harmonize with each other.
From that Bible verse it is clear and evident that Paul was referring to the conscience, mind,thoughts, will (mind)of the people in Noah's days.

1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a PREPARING, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

As we can see the preaching was done while God was waiting for them to turn around and repent
(120yrs).
this disproves any argument that it was were Jesus went when he died.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

This Bible verse is not talking about Jesus been alive in the spirit, rather it is telling us that Jesus through the power and agency of the Holyspirit was the one through Noah who was preaching to the people in the time of Noah for 120yrs asking them to repent.
This verse also explains to us that it was that same spirit that brought Jesus to live that was agency for christ preaching in the days of Noah.

Of cos anyone who lives in sin is in prison or bondage.

If we are to accept the lie that spirits live after death and Jesus went to Hell to preach to them.
Then it contradicts God's words to prophet Ezekiel.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. Ezekiel 18:22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live. Ezekiel 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die. Ezekiel 18:26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die. Ezekiel 33:12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.
ahahahahahahahs no matter how you constructed your lies it can't subdue or digress the truth of God . clearly in that chapter in verse 19 its stated that Jesus went to preached to those who are in the prison , I mean the spirits but to you now quoted genesis and Ezekiel which are not even related to the verses. Well is a matter of time you will know when you die. So no argument.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pastor Creflo Dollars Changes Mindset On Tithes ! / Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans / Music: Oba Aseda ~ Tope Alabi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 239
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.