Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,442 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities (37296 Views)

FG Claimed No Money For Varsities But Built Railway To Niger –ASUU / JAMB To Hold 2018 Admission Policy Meeting In Osun On June 26 / Nigerian Universities And Their Catchment Areas: Sure Admission Chances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by InansBobo(m): 9:22am On Nov 24, 2019
Nvc078:
No more admission for Aboki na
theirs is ELDs(Educationally Less Developed States), so theirs is still covered
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by OwoukoUrua(m): 9:29am On Nov 24, 2019
Bullsh!t coming from a confused somebody
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by Idaytesj29(m): 9:33am On Nov 24, 2019
mrvitalis:
Finally ......UNN has been the only school I knew off that it was easier for a Yoruba man , northerner or south south to get admission than an Igbo man

Had a friend from Edo who entered economics with 218 average ....why someone from IMO n anambra can't even get with 260

My Gombe neighbor got pharmacy with 235 while I know people from Igbo who got 270 n didn't get

If you are from bayelsa 260 can get u medicine but if you are from Igbo ...305 might not get you in

Felt it was messed up ...*because unilag ,UI and OAU won't give Igbo's that treatment ,same with ABU or uni port*

UNN model is the model all schools should follow

45% national merit ,40% state merits , 10%( staff kids,host community ,special case ) 5% ( well man know man

That's not true, they get same treatment
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by OwoukoUrua(m): 9:35am On Nov 24, 2019
tomdon:

All you highlighted are as a result of the educationally less developed factor considered in catchment

you know nothing about what you are saying
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by OwoukoUrua(m): 9:38am On Nov 24, 2019
Johans1991:
stop fooling yourself on the media. Just because he brought a good policy doesn't mean he is looking for your vote.
The useless PDP has spent 16yrs without thinking through that direction, we thank God for given us PMB.

Which good policy are you referring to?
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by Nobody: 9:52am On Nov 24, 2019
None of you understood the meaning of catchment areas. It is very obvious with your shallow, vague and ethno-politicalized posts.

What's is the Benefit of Catchment Area policy?
This means that students from catchment areas get preference treatments over those from other states during admission. For example University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) has the following states as its catchment areas; Enugu, Abia, Anambra, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Enugu, Imo, Rivers.

What this means is that candidates from the above states would receive preferential treatments during admission based on some quota over candidates from outside the states. It was a benefit before but now it has been cancelled. So, the struggle just got real!

What's applicable to northern candidates is not catchment areas policy, It's the policy for Educationally Less Developed States. This is still intact and not cancelled.

The main point is that the cancellation is a negative for SW, SE and SS candidates seeking admission into the Federal universities while the policy that favours the northern candidates still remain intact.

3 Likes

Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by QUICKACCESS(m): 9:52am On Nov 24, 2019
ikorodureporta:

source: https://www.sunnewsonline.com/fg-abolishes-admission-policy-on-catchment-area-for-varsities/

Did you read this ?

"The President who was represented by the Deputy Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC), Suleiman Yusuf, therefore, directed all federal universities to ensure that every local government, all states, and all geopolitical zones are represented in their admission of the new entrance."

This can't be achieved without sacrificing Merit. This is a return to the Quota system admission method used in the federal government colleges. There will have to be different CUT OFF POINTS ( COP ) for different States / Local Government Areas to achieve this except JAMB will have to begin to forcefully place students in institutions against their choice in order to achieve this.

Since every local government Must be represented, what if there's no student from Shomolu Local government area in Lagos, applying to UNN ?. That means JAMB will have to hijack some one from Shomolu who has applied to another Institution to UNN, even if he doesn't meet the COP of UNN into that course.

WOW !. The more the number of local governments areas a state / region has, the better for it.

I didn't see where the directive addressed the advantage ( 20 % ) admission given to the educationally less advantantaged States ( ELDS ) - ALL Northern States, Bayelsa, Cross River & Ebonyi States- hmm. This new policy is double blessings for ELDS. ( Should Ebonyi still be in that list ? )

WATCH THIS : This will never work out except JAMB takes over admission processes themselves - assigning & reassigning of students to courses & institutions. It will involve, JAMB forcefully pulling students from their original Institutions of choice to other places, just to achieve a spread.

From my experience, this new policy if Strictly based on merit will shoot up the population of students from the old Eastern Nigeria in UNILAG, OAU, UNIBEN etc ( UI already has that policy in place, having the 36 states as its catchment area ). I recall that the Overall Best POST UTME student in UNILAG in 2018 couldn't get into MBBS because she was outside catchment, being from the East. She however made it via UNILAG foundation programme.

This will also not be to the favour of my wonderful students from Westen Nigeria aspiring to UNILAG, OAU & other institutions in the West because millions of students from other regions live & school in the West. Not good !. The Catchment policy used to cushion the effec of this.

I have studied the system. You Can't achieve this spread except Merit is sacrificed.

This will only favour the ELDS , which means the North is Blessed !.

THE NORTH IS BEST & BLESSED WITH THIS NEW POLICY - ALL ELDS, More Local Government Areas, lower COP, etc.

Then , there's also the issue of staff spread in tgr new policy.

I think the main reason behind this policy is to achieve National cohesion & integration.

Bye !

2 Likes

Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by IgbosNIGHTMARE: 9:57am On Nov 24, 2019
[s]
mrvitalis:
Finally ......UNN has been the only school I knew off that it was easier for a Yoruba man , northerner or south south to get admission than an Igbo man

Had a friend from Edo who entered economics with 218 average ....why someone from IMO n anambra can't even get with 260

My Gombe neighbor got pharmacy with 235 while I know people from Igbo who got 270 n didn't get

If you are from bayelsa 260 can get u medicine but if you are from Igbo ...305 might not get you in

Felt it was messed up ...because unilag ,UI and OAU won't give Igbo's that treatment ,same with ABU or uni port

45% national merit ,40% state merits , 10%( staff kids,host community ,special case ) 5% ( well man know man
[/s]
Osus always crying fowl.
See how a cave is giving analysis of schools he hasn't even stepped in, even in his dreams...
What a shame
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by johnpablo541(m): 10:00am On Nov 24, 2019
mrvitalis:
What about gombe

Gombe falls under educational less developed states.

During your time in UNN how many northerners Did you have in your class. Me i had none. I don't even think there was a notherner in my department, i had only one non-igbo lecturer the rest were igbos.

Let me tell you how my class looked like.
Over 100 igbo students, 3 deltans, 1 yoruba, 2 akwa-ibom students, 2 cross river students, I kogi student

2 Likes

Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by OwoukoUrua(m): 10:06am On Nov 24, 2019
johnpablo541:

Your friend from Edo got admitted to UNN because very few people from Edo state usually apply for admission to UNN. And Edo state is under UNN catchment area.

The following states are under UNN catchment area:
Enugu, Abia, Anambra, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Imo, Rivers.

The following institutions do not have catchment areas, i.e their catchment is all the states in the federation:
UNIABUJA, UI, MOUAU, UNIPORT, FUNAAB, FUPRE, FUAM.

Despite catchment and ELDS criteria, UNN admissions are still 99% Igbos and 1% outsiders check their admission lists

you're a hater,admit it
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by Enemyofpeace: 10:11am On Nov 24, 2019
Johans1991:
stop fooling yourself on the media. Just because he brought a good policy doesn't mean he is looking for your vote.
The useless PDP has spent 16yrs without thinking through that direction, we thank God for given us PMB.
This man wan do third term by all means
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by johnpablo541(m): 10:17am On Nov 24, 2019
OwoukoUrua:

you're a hater,admit it

Did i hate anyone from my post? Please be specific , who do i hate? A particular school? A tribe ? Or you ?
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by iceboy4752(m): 10:25am On Nov 24, 2019
celeiyke:

U must be funny. ABU is the most useless university. Admission is done on religious basis. The same university that deny Prof Andrew Nok becoming a VC cos he is a Christian. Same university I scored 282 to study Economics and I was clearly told to go back to my state

I hope you know ABU admits only one candidate with the overall highest average from non-catchment areas? You were denied an admission with 282 because there were people more qualified than you from your state. That was how some aspirants were tagging ABU a tribalistic and anti-christian university because they failed to secure Law ith their 240, 250 and 260. When we resumed, we the candidate admitted from Ebonyi state, Omoha Joseph had an average of 315, making him the overall highest applicant of that course from that state. I don't know how ABU earned the title of the most diverse university in Nigeria if it truly base admissions on religious affiliation. How many Muslims have been appointed as VCs in UNIZIK, UNIPORT and the others since inception?
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by OwoukoUrua(m): 10:27am On Nov 24, 2019
Magicians:
But there is none of you praising the person that abolished the system. The cursed party of devils could not do this for 16 years, yet you have been cursed not to say thank you to Buhari but if it was Jonathan that did the abolishing you'd be praising him like your god.

ignoramus
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by AkimJ: 10:37am On Nov 24, 2019
You have only said what you think and not based on facts and your view is prejudiced.

UI and UniAbuja has been operating without catchment area for years and applicants are admitted strictly on merit. No Yoruba gets admission to UNN in preference above any Igbo.

Any Yoruba that gets admitted to UNN is strictly on his or her own merit. UNN have the following areas as catchment states Abia, Anambra, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Enugu, Imo, Rivers.Don't spread false information. Studies carried out shows that the federal universities have largely been implementing the catchment areas policy faithfully and JAMB has been monitoring compliance. In case you want to insinuate otherwise, would your insinuation even be reasonable?

What would be the basis of UNN deliberately deviating from official policy to favour Yoruba? Of the 15 VCs that UNN has had in her history, 2 were expatriates, 11 are Igbos, one was from Plateau and one from core north. Since 1999 all VCs have been Igbo. So what special interest or basis would make UNN to go out of her ways against the policy to favour Yoruba?

The only basis where a non Igbo may get admission with lesser score over an Igbo in UNN is on the basis of educationally disadvantaged state and NO South west state is considered educationally disadvantaged so no South west state is on that list. For example on the list of admission for UNN in 2016 that was posted by a Nairalander, we have the following for pharmacy:

S/N-Score-State
75-291-imo*
*76-291-imo*
*77-288-imo*
*78-241-adamawa*
*79-256-bauchi*
*80-278-bayelsa*
*81-270-benue*
*82-268-crossriver*
*83-278-ebonyi*
*84-251-gombe*
*85-271-jigawa*
*86-266-kadunna*
*87-250- kano*
*88-280-kebbi*
*89-263-koggi*
*90-257-nasarrawa*
*91-263-niger*
*92-244-plateau*
*93-257-rivers*
*94-249-sokoto*
*95-263-taraba*
*96-284-zamfara*

No single candidate from South west.

I follow, consult and am versed about university admissions and I am writing based on experience. However lest my view be taken as being subjective I have provided some references here about views from others to debunk this. I hope you can take the time to go through them because for space and time I wont copy the details here.

https://www.nairaland.com/3363207/view-unn-admission-list

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3447999?seq=1

https://www.nairaland.com/3359156/federal-university-where-over-99/6

3 Likes

Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by ksbusari(m): 10:39am On Nov 24, 2019
long overdue
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by BotherMleeper(m): 10:48am On Nov 24, 2019
Nvc078:

A powerful aboki gave the directive while you, an anonymous and inconsequential fart herder of no material import, are reduced to making wimpy and asinine statements online.
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by prof12(m): 10:56am On Nov 24, 2019
Nvc078:

You see your life and your corrupt thought
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by 36STATES: 11:16am On Nov 24, 2019
johnpablo541:

Your friend from Edo got admitted to UNN because very few people from Edo state usually apply for admission to UNN. And Edo state is under UNN catchment area.

The following states are under UNN catchment area:
Enugu, Abia, Anambra, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Imo, Rivers.

The following institutions do not have catchment areas, i.e their catchment is all the states in the federation:
UNIABUJA, UI, MOUAU, UNIPORT, FUNAAB, FUPRE, FUAM.

Despite catchment and ELDS criteria, UNN admissions are still 99% Igbos and 1% outsiders check their admission lists

You are talking nonsense, I was denied admission into UniPort because of catchment area.
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by otokx(m): 11:19am On Nov 24, 2019
36STATES:

You are talking nonsense, I was denied admission into UniPort because of catchment area.

not true
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by Nobody: 11:23am On Nov 24, 2019
jjohndoe83:
They should also remove admission preference for Educationally Less Developed States undecided

You get, that thing favours a particular section of the country die. If merit is 70% and you from an Educationally Less Developed State (ELDS) you should be able to get in with about half(so, I heard), thing is they do not even announce the cut off for those guys. The ELDS should also be abolished if this guy wants to promote meritocracy and competion.

Regards,

1 Like

Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by celeiyke: 11:27am On Nov 24, 2019
iceboy4752:

I hope you know ABU admits only one candidate with the overall highest average from non-catchment areas? You were denied an admission with 282 because there were people more qualified than you from your state. That was how some aspirants were tagging ABU a tribalistic and anti-christian university because they failed to secure Law ith their 240, 250 and 260. When we resumed, we the candidate admitted from Ebonyi state, Omoha Joseph had an average of 315, making him the overall highest applicant of that course from that state. I don't know how ABU earned the title of the most diverse university in Nigeria if it truly base admissions on religious affiliation. How many Muslims have been appointed as VCs in UNIZIK, UNIPORT and the others since inception?

U have never been to those universities, so don't say what u don't know. Claiming that one person per state doesn't that look absurd to u and u know it is all lies. I am conversant with Abu skewed policies. Can u shed light on why Prof Andrew Nok was denied being a VC. Can u shed light on why at some time a show by Tuface was cancelled in the same institution. ABU remains a nepotistic institution.
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by Correcto: 12:14pm On Nov 24, 2019
Big truth bro, my youngest bro had to score 286 average to get pharmacy but he was surprise to see someone from Gombe with 234 in pharmacy for pharmacy while his friend from Imo with 250 was not given
mrvitalis:

Felt it was messed up ...because unilag ,UI and OAU won't give Igbo's that treatment ,same with ABU or uni port

Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by alasca(m): 12:14pm On Nov 24, 2019
Good ,this is a welcome idea.
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by Correcto: 12:19pm On Nov 24, 2019
Probably scores from southwest were too poor to be considered or southwest candidates didn't apply
AkimJ:
You have only said what you think and not based on facts and your view is prejudiced.

UI and UniAbuja has been operating without catchment area for years and applicants are admitted strictly on merit. No Yoruba gets admission to UNN in preference above any Igbo.

Any Yoruba that gets admitted to UNN is strictly on his or her own merit. UNN have the following areas as catchment states Abia, Anambra, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Enugu, Imo, Rivers.Don't spread false information. Studies carried out shows that the federal universities have largely been implementing the catchment areas policy faithfully and JAMB has been monitoring compliance. In case you want to insinuate otherwise, would your insinuation even be reasonable?

What would be the basis of UNN deliberately deviating from official policy to favour Yoruba? Of the 15 VCs that UNN has had in her history, 2 were expatriates, 11 are Igbos, one was from Plateau and one from core north. Since 1999 all VCs have been Igbo. So what special interest or basis would make UNN to go out of her ways against the policy to favour Yoruba?

The only basis where a non Igbo may get admission with lesser score over an Igbo in UNN is on the basis of educationally disadvantaged state and NO South west state is considered educationally disadvantaged so no South west state is on that list. For example on the list of admission for UNN in 2016 that was posted by a Nairalander, we have the following for pharmacy:

S/N-Score-State
75-291-imo*
*76-291-imo*
*77-288-imo*
*78-241-adamawa*
*79-256-bauchi*
*80-278-bayelsa*
*81-270-benue*
*82-268-crossriver*
*83-278-ebonyi*
*84-251-gombe*
*85-271-jigawa*
*86-266-kadunna*
*87-250- kano*
*88-280-kebbi*
*89-263-koggi*
*90-257-nasarrawa*
*91-263-niger*
*92-244-plateau*
*93-257-rivers*
*94-249-sokoto*
*95-263-taraba*
*96-284-zamfara*

No single candidate from South west.

I follow, consult and am versed about university admissions and I am writing based on experience. However lest my view be taken as being subjective I have provided some references here about views from others to debunk this. I hope you can take the time to go through them because for space and time I wont copy the details here.

https://www.nairaland.com/3363207/view-unn-admission-list

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3447999?seq=1

https://www.nairaland.com/3359156/federal-university-where-over-99/6

Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by Nvc078: 12:22pm On Nov 24, 2019
BotherMleeper:

A powerful aboki gave the directive while you, an anonymous and inconsequential fart herder of no material import, are reduced to making wimpy and asinine statements online.
See " grammar " abeg. This is one of the reasons why we have been calling for the abolishment of the evil catchment area thing in offering admission to people.if this thing has been done as at when due,mentally retards like you will be chasing your cows up and down or rather attain the apex of nomadic education without having anything whatsoever to do with higher institutions that has no significant impart in your level of civilization
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by BotherMleeper(m): 12:33pm On Nov 24, 2019
Nvc078:

See " grammar " abeg. This is one of the reasons why we have been calling for the abolishment of the evil catchment area thing in offering admission to people.if this thing has been done as at when due,mentally retards like you will be chasing your cows up and down or rather attain the apex of nomadic education without having anything whatsoever to do with higher institutions that has no significant impart in your level of civilization

That's the "impart" your over-glorified citadels of bad tutorship benefited you, you painfully banal donkey?

Now let this aboki school this fool: the correct phrase is as and when due.

Also, donkey, you're using impart wrong. It's a verb, donkey.

Congrats, donkey, you've learned something new today so your day isn't totally wasted braying like an anally-retentive jackass.

Now, fukk off.
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by Akolawole(m): 12:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
mrvitalis:

Why using Igbo as case study? There are a number of states adjudged to be 'high education states', Ekiti is in that category too
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by Nvc078: 12:42pm On Nov 24, 2019
BotherMleeper:

That's the "impart" your over-glorified citadels of bad tutorship benefited you, you painfully banal donkey?

Now let this aboki school this fool: the correct phrase is as and when due.

Also, donkey, you're using impart wrong. It's a verb, donkey.

Congrats, donkey, you've learned something new today so your day isn't totally wasted braying like an anally-retentive jackass.

Now, fukk off.

See a classified foool. Oh wait I should use " impact" ? Sad enough you're showing us who you're and the tribe you belong to. For your information " impart" means to teach while " impact " means forceful bodily contact. Go back to your secondary school and demand the refund of your fees.only then will you realize that " as at when due " and " as and when due" are both correct but talks about different things. See a gullible aboki trying to teach someone English of all things. grin grin grin this should be the 11th wonders of the world
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by maasoap(m): 12:43pm On Nov 24, 2019
mrvitalis:

Crying of marginalisation at every opportunity. Who didn't taste the bitter pills of catchment area policy? I sure did. Those are the Igbos you knew their travails, there are plenty of Yorubas and other tribes that suffered similar fate that you never came across
Re: FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities by maasoap(m): 12:49pm On Nov 24, 2019
36STATES:

That's a lie! I'm not saying that your state is under the catchment areas of the UniPort. You were denied because you didn't make the cut off mark for your state of origin. Even, if your state of origin is outside the catchment area for UniPort, you could still get admission if you make the general cut off mark. Catchment areas simply means one thing: that the states within the school's catchment areas would have lower cut off mark than general cut off mark.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria / 16 Pictures Some Students Playing Bet9ja Virtual Soccer Can Relate To / Picture From North-west University Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.