Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,168 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) (62070 Views)

Panel Storms Ortom’s Automobile Workshop, Impounds Vehicles / Lagos Impounds 4,694 Motorcycles, Convicts 1,490 Offenders / Lagos Impounds 100 Commercial Motorcycles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by Mac2016(m): 7:57am On Dec 03, 2019
Basher8583:

You want to business on state lands consult the state. You cannot start a business without consulting the States plus having the States Express approval. Did the state give them licence to operate? thats the question
And you think they didn't get that since at least June when I got to know their operations? Lagos State I know is not that slow to respond. From my understanding of this article by OP. The state just changed the rule in the middle of the game by some emergency order from His Excellency!
I may actually know less than I think I do.. I am open to more enlightenment tho

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by Basher8583: 8:04am On Dec 03, 2019
lexy2014:

What has designated routes and going to heaven got to do with d questions I asked?
It answers your question.. well unless you don't know how to comprehend.

Lagos State did not ban the use of okadas. It is simply enforcing it's restrictions
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by EgunMogaji2: 8:06am On Dec 03, 2019
cool
ornicus:

the interesting thing - they are already outlawed on lagos highways/expressways , and in VI and ikoyi. but enforcement has once again dropped.
i honestly would prefer if they outlawed them completely and brought in opay.
OPay is a corporate entity that can be held to some sort of account. on their own, okada riders, esp the abokis are an out of control thuggish mob who answer to no one

all these laws have been in place since 2012
https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/06/19/know-the-64-traffic-offences-in-lagos-and-the-penalties/

The thing tire me.

#21, come to Ibadan and see okada with train horn grin
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by RichDad1(m): 8:16am On Dec 03, 2019
BabaO2:

OPay have constituted themselves as nuisance and menace on Lagos routes nowadays, scratching people's cars and causing traffic jam all over. Roads are being mended all over to say the fact.
Is it only OPay? What about danfo buses , Keke etc? When is the government going to ban them too.
Your argument holds no water.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by Bluntemperor: 8:19am On Dec 03, 2019
showafrica:

Are you seeing what i am seeing, I thought i was the only one. Nigeria forbids success, all they want is for everyone to join the rogue family. Misplaced priorities everywhere..

Are O PAY machines not Registered ?
Are O PAY on infringement of any laws of the land?
The truth about the present situation in this State is that Officials are themselves on the wrong side of the law because they want to impress the Governor,they embark on illegality.Oju aiye(selfishness and eyes services),they seemed to have lost control and trust of the people which is the most important ingredients of governance.
The question now is:do Lagos State Government wants to chase away the Chinese Billionaires from Lagos and Nigeria generally by investing his Billions here through different entrepreneurs enabled platforms,where many Nigerians are employed as breadwinners today.?
The Machines confiscated and even the vehicles that Officials of the State Collected,to whom were they sold?.
'For he that comes to equity must come with a clean hand'.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by tlarge1612: 8:34am On Dec 03, 2019
Trycicle and dando are the only problem we have on Lagos road but because NURTW is instrumental to the emergence of thE governor they won’t be touched

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by kingshrd: 8:37am On Dec 03, 2019
New committee gets setup a new chairman emerges and suddenly seizures we have seen this script played alot of times at the end new chairman wants his own money

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by Doyin2(m): 8:40am On Dec 03, 2019
RichDad1:
Sanwo-Olu is a very clueless governor. He might end up being the worst governor in Lagos state history.
The same OPay that has been helping Lagosians meet up with appointments, avoid sacks and saved lots of productive hours usually spent in Lagos traffic on a daily basis ?
Why are these people allergic to anything that will reduce the transportation woes of the average Lagos residents ?
The traffic laws only banned motorcycles with engine capacity lesser than 200cc from plying the highways and other restricted routes. To the best of my knowledge, OPay , Max etc use motorcycles with engine capacity around 250cc upwards.
The amount of traffic in Lagos metropolis is unprecedented, Yet this point and kill Governor wants to to make things worse.
While tankers are having a field day on the roads and he’s at lost as to what to do, it’s the Bike that are helping to alleviate the suffering that he’s barking at.
All the roads he announced will be repaired or reconstructed as soon as possible are still the same thing. From Badagry to Ikorodu , Epe, Alimosho, etc.
Infact all the 5 divisions of Lagos state is worse than he met them.
I hope Cardinal Odumbaku and other Lagos APC stalwarts are taking keen interest on this accidental Governor they foisted on us?
AMBO was bad, pompous, not a good party man etc. But I don’t think Sanwo-Olu is any better.

Rubbish talk.

You want Sanwo olu to have repaired all roads mentioned within how many months?More so when the rains have just receded?

Is comparing 4yr performance with 6month performance not extreme foolishness?
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by musicwriter(m): 8:58am On Dec 03, 2019
Yet, most of the Opay riders are graduates from our universities, frustrated enough about unemployment in Nigeria that they took up that job. And they conduct themselves very well. You'll think they'll get all the support they could.

May be the Lagos state government want them to try armed robbery. Afterall crime pays in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by Gazzy88(m): 9:03am On Dec 03, 2019
JonDon12:
This stupid administration cannot even deal with tankers on its roads or decongest the Ports yet you are chasing small okada riders. I remember when I was getting visas in Lagos,
if not for Okada, I wont be where I am today. Thank u guys. Nigerians instead of fighting corruption, you are stifling hardwork, innovation and entrepreneurship. Nigerians need to start embracing and supporting small business people. If you cant help them, get out of their way.
Can i have your contact please?
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by BabaO2: 9:04am On Dec 03, 2019
RichDad1:

Is it only OPay? What about danfo buses , Keke etc? When is the government going to ban them too.
Your argument holds no water.
Danfos, Okada, Keke etc are known and confirmed nuisances to the peace of the public, but OPay came with impression that they will be different, but reality is that they are worse.
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by rubyjan(f): 9:22am On Dec 03, 2019
migeoart:
I just wish every nigerian will go to heaven,we are partially in hell we dnt need to suffer anymore!!!How can you ban bikes when you have not fixed the cause of traffic jam!!!if the roads are free no one will want to fly bike on express road!!Oga start with clearly the ports, remove all the tankers from the roads!! On sunday here tankers where parking triple lanes on a tiny road and i wonder where are the law of this state! By banning opay bike more unemployed people thrown back to the society
The annoying part is this people will never provide an alternative!!God help the average Nigerians

Thank you for this. Yet someone here was talking about Rwanda, USA and Europe as if fuel tankers blocks highway and even streets there.

The way the average Nigerian thinks is appalling. They will leave the problem and chase shadows.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by nedekid: 9:32am On Dec 03, 2019
Fortune109:
Good riddance! Is this how commercial motor bikes have invaded American highways where Google that owns the so called OPay is from??

Whoever must operate motor bike business has to comply with the laws of the land...there are specified routes that Motor bikes are allowed to ply in the state, period!

Opay is owned by opera not Google.
Is there bad roads and traffic in the US as we have in Lagos?
My doctor friend says he parks his two cars at home and takes Opay bike from ayobo to luth and back everyday. N800 *2 just to get to work on time and to avoid the stress of traffic and damage to his car due to the roads. Now he will have to take out his car.
The traffic on the comming days will be disastrous.
Thank God some of us run our businesses in our neighborhood grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by mukthar2000(m): 10:16am On Dec 03, 2019
Lagos with different problems shaa, thank Baba God that I have find my way out to another peaceful state despite I was lagosian .

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by RichDad1(m): 10:23am On Dec 03, 2019
BabaO2:

Danfos, Okada, Keke etc are known and confirmed nuisances to the peace of the public, but OPay came with impression that they will be different, but reality is that they are worse.
So OPay is solely to blamed for nuisance in the city of Lagos ?
Why can’t the government fix the roads and decongest traffic ?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by nku5: 10:33am On Dec 03, 2019
RichDad1:
Sanwo-Olu is a very clueless governor. He might end up being the worst governor in Lagos state history.
The same OPay that has been helping Lagosians meet up with appointments, avoid sacks and saved lots of productive hours usually spent in Lagos traffic on a daily basis ?
Why are these people allergic to anything that will reduce the transportation woes of the average Lagos residents ?
The traffic laws only banned motorcycles with engine capacity lesser than 200cc from plying the highways and other restricted routes. To the best of my knowledge, OPay , Max etc use motorcycles with engine capacity around 250cc upwards.
The amount of traffic in Lagos metropolis is unprecedented, Yet this point and kill Governor wants to to make things worse.
While tankers are having a field day on the roads and he’s at lost as to what to do, it’s the Bike that are helping to alleviate the suffering that he’s barking at.
All the roads he announced will be repaired or reconstructed as soon as possible are still the same thing. From Badagry to Ikorodu , Epe, Alimosho, etc.
I hope Cardinal Odumbaku and other Lagos APC stalwarts are taking keen interest on this accidental Governor they foisted on us?
AMBO was bad, pompous, not a good party man etc. But I don’t think Sanwo-Olu is any better.

Sanwo-Old's hands are tied. He has no say over this matter at all. NURTW that did a lot to help him become governor don't want to hear story. I saw a picture of Oluomo and OPay executives signing an agreement and I knew what was coming. NURTW are not happy they can't control Uber. This one they won't agree

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by jahsharon: 10:52am On Dec 03, 2019
RichDad1:

When are you going back to your village in Biafra? Or are you held down at gun point in Lagos. Fashola once abducted several of you and dumped you at Upper Iweka bridge head, Onitsha, but less than 10 minutes after, you were all in different trailers taking cows to Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by mechanics(m): 10:58am On Dec 03, 2019
They should avoid those routes that prohibits their services
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by RichDad1(m): 10:59am On Dec 03, 2019
jahsharon:

When are you going back to your village in Biafra? Or are you held down at gun point in Lagos. Fashola once abducted several of you and dumped you at Upper Iweka bridge head, Onitsha, but less than 10 minutes after, you were all in different trailers taking cows to Lagos.
You just exposed your ignorance. So it’s Igbos that brings cow to Lagos ? You better face your studies. What’s being discussed here surpasses your intellectual comprehension.
Biafra ko, Arewa ni. Ode Omo

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by RichDad1(m): 11:01am On Dec 03, 2019
nku5:

Sanwo-Old's hands are tied. He has no say over this matter at all. NURTW that did a lot to help him become governor don't want to hear story. I saw a picture of Oluomo and OPay executives signing an agreement and I knew what was coming. NURTW are not happy they can't control Uber. This one they won't agree
If NURTW wants to control OPay , so be it as long as the state government will allow them operate without any intimidations. But I’ll prefer a system where whatever OPay wants to pay goes to the government’s coffers directly.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by drmikeadams(m): 11:28am On Dec 03, 2019
somalianprince:
I think I support this move, while sane states like Anambra, etc, are banning okada , this company is taking Lagos backward with more okadas. Why can't this company invest in cab business? Fix roads to ease traffic. However government should return the bikes to the company.
grin grin. So investors go fix roads for government?
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by lexy2014: 11:44am On Dec 03, 2019
Basher8583:

Lagos State did not ban the use of okadas. It is simply enforcing it's restrictions

Charcoal calling pot black. I don't think u even no d meaning of d words u using how much understanding other peoples comments. These are d questions I asked in my earlier post:

"What is wrong if people take to okada riding? In d end, what's d difference between d skill acquisition u referring and okada riding u condemning? Are both not intended to provide a legal source of income by providing a service? How have Northerners riding okada made Lagos dangerous?"

This was ur response 2d above:

"There are designated routes for okada riders. It should be strongly adhered to. Abi you wan ride okada go heaven?"

Pls where's d correlation? To make it worse, u now said this:

Basher8583:

Were in my comment did u see anything about Lagos banning okada or enforcing restrictions?
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by lexy2014: 11:46am On Dec 03, 2019
BabaO2:

How are they worse?
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by lexy2014: 11:53am On Dec 03, 2019
ornicus:

the interesting thing - they are already outlawed on lagos highways/expressways , and in VI and ikoyi. but enforcement has once again dropped.
i honestly would prefer if they outlawed them completely and brought in opay.
OPay is a corporate entity that can be held to some sort of account. on their own, okada riders, esp the abokis are an out of control thuggish mob who answer to no one

all these laws have been in place since 2012
https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/06/19/know-the-64-traffic-offences-in-lagos-and-the-penalties/

Pls which of these laws did Opay riders break that warranted d clampdown?
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by Nobody: 11:56am On Dec 03, 2019
lexy2014:

Pls which of these laws did Opay riders break that warranted d clampdown?

I am not justifying the clampdown on opay. You should have read through my post. I prefer opay to what we currently have, because there is a body to hold liable. I suspect elements of lasg are just doing a shakedown, as opay have made the mistake of showing they have plenty of cash
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by ForbesHomesNG(m): 12:47pm On Dec 03, 2019
You Don't Want To Miss This!! Get In Touch With Us Today....(+234) 08027390046, 08034113771
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by Basher8583: 1:03pm On Dec 03, 2019
lexy2014:

Charcoal calling pot black. I don't think u even no d meaning of d words u using how much understanding other peoples comments. These are d questions I asked in my earlier post:

"What is wrong if people take to okada riding? In d end, what's d difference between d skill acquisition u referring and okada riding u condemning? Are both not intended to provide a legal source of income by providing a service? How have Northerners riding okada made Lagos dangerous?"

This was ur response 2d above:

"There are designated routes for okada riders. It should be strongly adhered to. Abi you wan ride okada go heaven?"

Pls where's d correlation? To make it worse, u now said this:

Were in my comment did u see anything about Lagos banning okada or enforcing restrictions?

Stop crying. Summary of my post is okadas are not banned from operating in Lagos. They are only restricted
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by lexy2014: 1:10pm On Dec 03, 2019
Basher8583:

Stop crying. Summary of my post is okadas are not banned from operating in Lagos. They are only restricted

There's no need to start getting emotional. Present superior argument, that's all. Is there any where in my comment u responded to where I made reference to okada being banned or restricted? What's d essence of ur summary when what u responded to has nothing to do with d summary?
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by DeNovo: 2:50pm On Dec 03, 2019
Fortune109:
Good riddance! Is this how commercial motor bikes have invaded American highways where Google that owns the so called OPay is from??

Whoever must operate motor bike business has to comply with the laws of the land...there are specified routes that Motor bikes are allowed to ply in the state, period!

Where google is from, there are good roads, free flowing traffic, functional trains, buses etc, Opay is their solution to our problem of dysfunctional transport system. What is our solution to this same problem?
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by hermesprogidy(m): 3:11pm On Dec 03, 2019
grandstar:

It's not as simple as it looks.

It is believed that one of these Okada services belongs to the Ambode's (The wife presumably). That may explain why they were able to operate without a license for so long.
Two wrongs cannot make a right
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by NGpatriot: 3:31pm On Dec 03, 2019
ACRI:

Have you been to Rwanda?
They allow motorcycles with helmet! That's from personnel experience.

You cannot enforce a draconian law when there are no alternatives. If you don't want public defecation provide public toilets! Is that too hard for us to grasp?

It would be recalled that the state government through a former Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Transportation, Dr. Salaam Taiwo, had said it did not approve the operation of the motor bike hailing service providers.

Rwanda: Police Impound 128 Motorcycles Over Violation of Traffic Rules

A Police operation conducted Saturday night in the City of Kigali against errant motorists impounded 128 commercial motorcycles for violation of varied traffic rules and regulations.

Rwanda National Police (RNP) spokesperson, Commissioner of Police (CP) John Bosco Kabera, while addressing the media on Sunday on the outcome of the operations, said that some motorcycles were found without insurance and driver's license.

Other motorcycles were impounded for violating traffic control signposts and wrong parking.

Kabera warned "errant drivers and motorcyclists against breach of road rules and regulations, whose outcomes are fatal."

https://allafrica.com/stories/201907220033.html

No law is draconian when it comes to basic regulations and orderliness.

Asking you to normalize your operations by obtaining simple licensing and permits needed to operate and do things lawfully and legally.

If it's the government's stance and regulation that you must not operate in certain areas, then obey the law and stay away from such areas, many of us are just lawless and unruly, we can not follow rules and whatever the government put in place to create a lawful and orderly society, we disobey and trash such rules by screaming and yelling anti masses and draconian this and that.

In the same Rwanda you are talking about, they have laws and regulations in place when it comes to their own version of okada and they don't hesitate to enforce their laws and regulations by impounding bikes, that's how they keep their cities clean and orderly, they enforce their laws.

In Kigali, they don't allow street trading, hawking or begging, you as a regular citizen can not even walk aimlessly around kigali, they will arrest and lock you up, this is how they keep Kigali clean and orderly, you wont see stalls, kiosk, make shift rubbish or any kind of rubbish on their streets, but in Nigeria, you want to hawk, you want to do street trading and dirty the streets with your trash, drive recklessly without obeying traffic rules, you want to operate without operating permits and license just because you are a common man.

Common man status doesn't mean you have to be lawless or that you are exempted fro obeying basic rules and regulations.

Nigerians are just lawless and they come up with all kinds of excuses to justify their lawless mentality
Re: Lagos Impounds Trucks Of ‘Opay’ Motorcycles (Photos) by xpansion(m): 3:34pm On Dec 03, 2019
Fortune109:

Mumu, no be Google own am. Idiot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi, His Wives & Kids Stun In New Photo / Ibrahim Magu Wears Buhari's Campaign Lapel, Nigerians React / Miraculous Recovery Of Igboland with 20pounds from genocide and Civilwar(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.