Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,395 members, 7,812,159 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

The Children Of Thunder - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Children Of Thunder (20378 Views)

A Short Poem In Honour Of The Children's Day By Pat Ashinze / [story]o.g.b.a.n.j.e (the Child Of Thunder) Chapter 9-10 / [story]o.g.b.a.n.j.e (the Child Of Thunder) Chapter 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Kkay03(m): 3:54pm On Dec 14, 2019
please the update oh....im so loving this and please dont bail on us in the long run make sure u complete the whole story

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by enm(m): 11:34am On Dec 15, 2019
Fascinating

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 1:36pm On Dec 16, 2019
Chapter eight

After waiting for two hours into the night which felt like days, Omotola was beginning to doubt whether she got Shettima’s message right and when she was about calling it a night a sound made her jump.

The electricity in her wings flashed defensively, by their lights she watched in fascination as Shettima stepped out from a shadowed corner of her cubicle, his charcoal colored wings spread around him like a cloak. Omotola grinned in greeting. He smiled back then moved around checking out the room.

“I thought you wouldn’t get my message’’ he whispered, took me a while to find where you sleep, I stumbled into Orchid’s cubicle while she was shaving her legs, her room so pink and bright I could barely find a dark place big enough to escape with.’’ he made a puking face and gave another rare smile as Omotola chuckled.

"What took you so long?"

“My own cubicle has been renovated with bright fluorescents lights to stop me leaving, but they forgot to put one under my colt, imagine the great Dracula porting from under a bed.’’ he said, eyes twinkling as they both laughed.

“Why do you risk punishment to be here Shettima? He paused at this, his face back to its familiar scowl.
“Because I needed to tell you something, something that I was not supposed to know, cos this facility is not as it seems." he whispered, fear on his slant grey eyes.

“I knew you saw something’’ Omotola sat up breathless, “what did you see Shettima?"

“Enough to change my mind about this place’’ he replied pacing nervously round the room, “you are the only one reasonable enough could talk to, Binta jokes with everything, I asked Obiora what he would do if he ever had a chance to leave, he just shrugged and asked why would he leave, have you ever wondered why we were always weak and drained after we’re taken for testing, they are cloning our abilities and when they’re done?"

“We would be of no use to them; Omotola whispered; her voice hoarse with fear.

“When I first manifested my porting ability, I used it only to flinch foods from the kitchens, then I realized I could do more than steal foods to spying on the doctors, see why they’re so obsessed with every new ability we manifested, why we were created and for which purpose, for this week or soon, I know some government people and private companies will be coming to see us, I had a hunch they're the ones the lab works for, we are just weapons made for them, why is it that everyone of us have distructive powers except maybe for Logan’s healing abilities, you don’t see Obiora working in a flower shop. I reckoned if they’re satisfied tomorrow we may be shipped off to locations unknown or worse separated.’’

Her heart skipped a beat at this, separated? she had known the children ever since she could remember, Shettima’s warnings brought back memories of her nightmares, with a sigh she opened her mouth and told him, his face was impassive as always, she was grateful he did not laugh at her, what he said next was just wasn’t what she was expecting.

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 1:53pm On Dec 16, 2019
“I always have that dream too, of a man being tortured’’ he whispered urgently, ‘’that was the main reason I was here, I wanted to come show you, this man I think could be the answer to all our questions. After days of having the same nightmare I simply had enough to call it coincidence and began to port around the facility at night hoping I would find if he really existed’’, he paused to catch his breath stretching Omotola’s tension to the limit.

“But right after our trouble with the doctors I stumbled upon him.’’

“Who is he? Can you take me to him?" Omotola said dizzy with nervous excitement. Suddenly, a sound in the hall way had them frozen for a second, then Shettima got up, ran across the room to the corner he came from, turned around as Omotola heard his voice in her head.

“They must have found out I’m not in bed, next chance I get I will take you there, goodnight Omotola.’’

On saying this he turned on his heels gathered his wings around him, misty smoke blended him with the dark and he was soon gone, panicked, she switched the night light back on and dived back gracefully unto her colt, faking a snore, her cubicle door slide open as Katie entered with some other people.

‘‘I do not see the reason why you have to wake me up in the middle of the night to check on my handle captain,’’ she heard Katie complained.

“We are following orders to check up on the assets ma’am,’’ said a deep voice that must be the captain’s, ‘‘some dangerous 1st generation creature escaped from its cell, we have been told to check on the children for their safety.’’

‘‘At least try not to wake her up’’ Katie’s voice cuts in, ‘‘she’s had a long day and she’s quite bummed.’’

‘’As you wish,’’ the captain replied stiffly and commanded his men to search the room, they were not quiet about it and Katie grumbled and growled so fiercely they quickly performed their duty and left.

Omotola sighed in relief as the door hummed close and turn over to stare at the ceiling. Shettima was not the reason they were here, hoping he made it to his cubicle on time, thinking about what he told her, she dozed off.

The next day, she was confined to her cubicle as the institute was still on lockdown, she acted surprised while Katie told her about yesterday’s incident, the rouge jail breaker was yet to be apprehended, she couldn’t help but envy the reptile that seemed bent on not giving up on its freedom, it was when Katie said the creature has camouflage skin that made it semi-invisible and it’s poisonous bite dries up its victim’s blood until they become dry husk diverted her sympathies to the Askaris sent around to find it.

The rest of the weekend was spent indoors with Katie the only visitor, reading the books she had brought her. Another few days passed by the time she was allowed to see the rest of the children again. That morning, they were all gathered together except Logan, dressed in matching uncomfortable tights that have been designed to adapt to their powers. Red on Obiora, White on Orchid, Omotola’s tight was reddish brown like her hair and spotted with green like the spattering on her wings, she felt ridiculous as the tights made her looked like a leopard that escaped a paint shop, a large symbol of the G.R.E.G.S labs at the front.

Shettima threw her a knowing glance as they were lead up above the ground level they’ve never been to, the rest of the children had a confused slightly nervous look on their faces. Amaka fussed over Babybaby as she tried to get her to calm down in order to arrange her rainbow colored tights. At last the elevator stopped with a ding as they were again led on by another set of mapper drones, newer and studier than the versions used at the ground levels.

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 2:00pm On Dec 16, 2019
Chapter nine

They found themselves in a large dome shaped hall, bigger even than the halls they used for drills, the spherical roof inlaid with glass windows from which a group of people stared down at them, dressed in business suits, army uniforms and lab coats, Omotola noticed doctor Mugabe standing with a stern faced broad shouldered man in an army suit decorated with so much medals she wondered why she wasn’t hearing the jingling down from where she stood.

“Can someone tell me what’s going on here?’’ Orchid whispered nervously, they were alone now, their handlers had silently withdrawn.

“These people own us,’’ Shettima said so quiet Obiora had to lean forward to hear him; they’re here to watch us do what we’ve been trained to do since we learned to walk and fly, the 5th children were silent as his words sank in.

“What do they want from us?" Babybaby asked, her lower lip quivering.

“To do what we do best’’ Obiora replied this time, his eyes glowed red, fight!!!

“Distinguish Ladies and gentlemen.’’ Mugabe’s voice croaked over the speaker, ‘’you are here to witness the success of evolution, see there before you are the origin of a new generation of man, do not be alarmed for what you see are not angels out of myths but the evolution of many species combined to form a perfect gene. Strength, speed, resistance to diseases of any kind, possibly longitivity and extra ordinary abilities, I give you the 5th generation children.’’

The group of distinguished ladies and gentlemen clapped listlessly as they looked down. At their wings, at Obiora’s height they stared with interest in their eyes.

"They are not made just for beauty." the doctor continued, sit back and see what they are capable of for they are gods among men, begin!’’ he croaked and the door on the other end of the hall opened, vomiting giant robot sentinels, combat drones with laser guns and large catlike cyborg prototypes with wicked sharp claws and bloodcurdling yowls made a beeline for the children.

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 2:28pm On Dec 16, 2019
Instead of panicking in the face of this sudden onslaught, their lifelong trainings automatically kicked in. In a flash they spread out, wings flashing electricity, the group watching from above forgotten, Obiora was right, this is what they do best.

Binta worked her body into a blur, blitzed forward to meet the charging machines and dropped the first set of drones in a blast of electricity as Obiora charged the group of giant robots pounding the first in line into matchwood and then hurled the ruined metal unto it's mates.

Babybaby leapt on Shettima’s back as he rendered both of them intangible while a cyborg cat leaping for them crashed through them against another cat Orchid had frozen into popsicle.

Omotola rolled under the swiping fist of a robot, clubbed at it with her wings, the electric charges from the contact sent it sailing through the air away from her towards Obiora who punched it to the ground with so much force the hall trembled, the lab have placed some flower pots along the hall from which Babybaby grew great vines that wrapped around a lone cyborg cat strangling it faster than it struggled, Orchid drew water from a nearby water tank she froze into sharp spikes that brought down nearby drones.

The harsh daily drills they'd always ensured seem to come to fruition as they fought together in tandem, it was as if they knew one another's thoughts, they leapt and weaved rhythmically so mesmerising that to the watching gentry's uptop it was as if they rehearsed it.

Shettima dived into the robots like a spectra, causing them to malfunction and run into each other while Obiora pound them to smatterings at his leisure, Binta danced with the cyborg cats, fists encased in hardened force field like a boxing glove as she and Omotola fought side by side while the latter flicked acrobatically cutting a path through them with her razor sharp wings.

In a moment the impressive robots, drones and cyborgs that came out all deadly and shiny were garbage junks sizzling and smoking as they littered the domed hall floor.

The group watching from above stared stunned at the carnage below for a full minute, the whole place was silent except the occasional sparks from the children's wings, their panting breathes and the final dying coughs from the ruined machines and then broke the silence with hollering and applause.

The medaled man beside the doctor only nodded his head to show how impressed he was as their handlers suddenly appeared to ushered them out of the domed hall, Omotola looked back and caught the medaled man cold eyes at the same time, sending a cold shiver down her spine as the great doors closed behind her.

They were soon left alone in room, flushed with adrenaline and excitement before it dawned on them that for once no one was watching them, With a nugde of encouragement from Omotola, Shettima gathered them around quickly and told them what he told Omotola the night in her cubicle, their flushed faces morphed into confusion then fear.

“What are we going to do? I don’t want to be separated from you guys.’’ Babybaby sobbed.

“No we’re not going to be separated; we’ll figure something out’’ Orchid said pulling her into a hug.

“They’ve seen what we are capable of’’ said Obiora his face still sleek with sweat, “they wouldn't dare.’’

“We could go now when no one's watching.’’ Binta chipped in. "but we still don’t know where Logan is been kept, we can’t leave without him.’’ Orchid said.

“Easier said than done’’ Shettima answered in his quiet voice, the doctors are not stupid they would have made a fail-safe against our powers, and things could go wrong before we barely started, we just have to bid our time and whereas this lab is all we’ve ever known since we could walk, talk and fly, we were born here, the outside is alien to us, we just have to meet the creature I saw and talk to him, maybe he can help us.’’

“I thought you said you met him’’ Omotola accused.

“No I didn’t’’ he fired back, “I was afraid and alone, I ported away as fast as I could, but together we can face him and talk to him.’’

“Are you strong enough to take us all there?’’ Obiora asked.

“Yes, I think I can if there’s enough dark to manipulate.’’ He answered nodding.

“Leave that to me,’’ Binta smiled mischievously. “just tell us when and the quarters lodge electricity would be out of commission for a while.’’

“Shettima’s right, we’ll have to bid our time’’ Omotola said finally putting an end to their arguments, "no more stunts for now, no more mischief Binta, even you Shettima, no more midnight strolls, the institute have to let their guards down for this to work and no telling our handlers." she finished as she glared down meaningfully at Babybaby. “If Amaka finds out, then the doctors will know and we will be separated and you’ll never see us again.’’

“I won’t tell I promise’’. She gasped, her eyes the size of saucers.

Just then, the door opened putting an end to the rebellious meeting as their handlers headed in, a rare happy looking doctor Mugabe at their lead.
..............................................................................................

2 Likes

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Kkay03(m): 11:16pm On Dec 16, 2019
please update again oh....this story is captivating

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Bobosneh: 1:03am On Dec 17, 2019
this story is fire

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by priestchurch(m): 8:14am On Dec 17, 2019
Tnx for d update bro,Pls keep it coming. ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Kkay03(m): 1:18pm On Dec 17, 2019
more update please.............this story is good
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 3:57pm On Dec 18, 2019
Chapter Ten

As I once again fled to the solitude of dreams, the weaker I had become, the weaker my grasp over my dreams as I was instead swept into memories I had no desire to remember. To my chagrin and shame, I was forced to re-live them all, the pains and regrets and this particular one I was swept unto like the erratic flow of a river pregnant with rains.

I saw myself strolling through the slave markets of Ajashe Ipo; now known as Porto-novo, invisible to the eyes of the the mortal traders and merchants. The gathering of clouds and the distant rumble of thunder heralded my arrival, the traders throwing a few worried glances at the sky wondering whether it might rain.

All this I ignored as I moved closer to the objects of both my curiosity and loathing. The foreign Portuguese merchants.

For a while I stood and watched the foreigners argue with Yorùbá, Fon and Ewẹ traders, haggling and bartering goods, salts and gold in exchange for slaves and gunpowder. Anger bristled in my chest as the rumbling sky responded to my emotions, the nerve of these smelly pale intruders to seduce my people into selling their brethren and religion for material things. My hand grabbed unconsciously for Ọ̀she as the battle axe hummed eagerly in anticipation, thirsting for the blood of white men. Not wanting to taint Ọ̀she with their foul blood, I resolved to strike them down with a bolt of lightening but stopped as I perceived the smell of blood and iron, my nose flared in annoyance, Ogun of Irê has arrived.

“What do you want Oshìn imolè.” I quarried, “do you now follow me around at the behest of Obàtálá like the proverbial housefly with nothing better to do?”

“hold your peace Jakuta.” Ogun answered with a bored voice, “this is a place of trade, and I am the god of commerce, surely it is you who intrudes on my place of influence, I do not come seeking conflict for I am not dressed for it.”

Shango turned to look at the war god and saw that he was appareled in his other form, as an aspect of commerce and trade, he was dressed like a wealthy merchant with a silver weighting scale at the end of a chain. “any aspect you may take I care not Ônire be gone your way and leave me be.”

“Chaos follows you wherever you go Jakuta.” Ogun sniffed in annoyance, “I do not care whatever you do as long as you take your restless spirit away with you from my place of influence for today is for commune and not conflict.” Ogun followed the sight of my glare and continued. “surely I do no need to remind you that all traders are under my protection.”

“You dare to protect these alien vermin?” I raged, “even after everything they have done? Spreading blasphemy against our pantheon, provoking the fire of greed such that men are forced to sell their own flesh and blood, stealing and taking advantage of their welcome, I thought you had honor.”

“Do no talk to me of honour Koso for you have no outa of honour.” Ogun snapped, “you flaunt the laws of Obàtálá, your actions set all these in motion, you are not blameless. “Your demi god son Afonja’s romance with the fulani brought about the imale religion and the loss of Katunga to Ilorin thus further waning our influence and plunging the Yoruba nation into years of conflict. For decades you interfered in the affairs of mortals, provoking young men into risking their lives for glory, your bastard off-springs with mortal women causing chaos and disrupting the course of history, blameless you are not god of thunder.”

Mottled with anger, I was about drawing Ọ̀she when a sense of forbear warned me of the approach of a being of power.

“Greetings great sage.” Ogun ignored me to welcome Orunmilla the Orisha of wisdom. The elder god has taken the form of a very old man appareled in silken cotton thrown over a shoulder toga like, his mane of hair and beards as white as corn meal, he watched us both with deep ancient eyes filled with reproach.
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 4:04pm On Dec 18, 2019
“The elders says the sky is wide enough for birds to fly without collision, but alas how the two of you manage to clash constantly baffles me.
Like two goats tied together and stubbornly moving away in opposite directions, they can neither be free nor progress. Howu! Surely you must know that your rivalry demeans you and not the other way around, for when others mouths about you saying if you don’t fight you remain equals, but if you do fight then one of you wins but do not forget that the winner gets weaker as a result and thus becomes prey for another but it matters not, my word are like the passing of farts, it stays for a while and then is dispersed, you both are stubborn mules and will not see to reason but that is not why I am here.”

“Surely you too have seen the danger opposed by the travelers my lord farsighter.” I implored pointing at the great ships anchored at sea, “they are a threat to our way of life, their new religion will force us out and we will be forgotten.”

“Do you not see beyond your selfishness Olúkòso, for i have seen dark days ahead for the mortals, dark murky days of bondage and torment, enough to bring tears unto my unblinking eyes, do you not also fear for their future as well?” Ọ̀rúnmìlà asked bemused.

“Whatever consequence awaits them, they surely deserve for forsaking us for the white man’s gods.” I sneered. “else what better way to avoid such calamities than to send the foreigners back across the sea from whence they came, we can fight back, even if our people won’t fight for us, i can send storms to wreak their ships, Shọ̀pono can send plague amidst them, and Ogun will create a bloodbath the likes man have never seen that never again will they step foot on these shores.” But the great sage sadly shook his head.

“Perchance lord Shango you have forgotten the task bestowed upon us by Olodunmare the creator of everything, we are but custodians of whatever aspect we have dominion over, do not for once think the elements you wield belongs to you. Every mortal is born with a free will, the free will to live his life as he sees fit, the belief that Orí the prorate of Ayanmọ (destiny) serves as a yardstick for their circumstance is not quite true, the mortals chose their own fate, and if it is their kismet that they forget us then so be it.”

Ogun and I starred at this. “but my lord, this will mean the end of our pantheon and the collapse of our dynasty, our culture will be forgotten and our people will be lost.”

“What will be will be Ogun Ônire, but everything has an end no matter how enduring and long, pantheons have come and gone, dynasties has risen and has fallen. A new age is upon us, the age of man and advancement, we await and see what comes of it so I bring you words from king Obàtálá, the first of his final decree, we do not interface in the affairs of mortals, from now on we stop all physical interactions, we do not concern ourselves with their quarrels and warfare, failure to heed his command will bring ruination, let he who have ears let him hear.” the elder god ended his speech with a warning and then he was gone as mysteriously as he had arrived. Ogun vanished afterwards and i was left to my dark thoughts.

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 4:13pm On Dec 18, 2019
I felt another power approach, intruding on my conflicting thoughts.

“What do you want Ògiri Ọ̀kò.” I growled, resisting the urge to smack the stupid smile off his face. Lanróyè was in his wanderer aspect, dressed as a traveller; a knapsack across his back and flinging a barbed club carelessly, he was bald except a knob of hair at the middle of his head, his feet was dusty from the road.

“I was just passing by when I saw the three of you convening on the spot, I decided to come say hello.”

“Really convincing of you.” I snapped, “you missed your friend Orúnmìlà by a millisecond, I have no dealings with you spider for oil and water do not mix.”

“You hurt me Jakuta.” Lanróyè said a faking a frown, “I have always have your best interests at heart inspite of our differences.”

“Well if you are here to deliver the king’s decree, do not waste your saliva, Orúnmìlà the father of Agbọnmèrègun was here before you.”

“That is not why I am here.” Lanróyè waved away, “quite a few of the Orisha were not happy with the proclamation, some think the Arch divinity is losing his plot.”

“if you have come here to entrap me with words of rebellion spidery one I shall make you swallow a lightening bolt.” I growled in warning.

“Hōwu Shango, why would I incite trickery at a time like this in the face of an event that could be the end of us all, I assure you you are not alone in your anger for Aróní the great also has course to be incensed, the foreigners cut down great trees from his sacred forests to repair their ships and slay his animals for their pelts, their tusks and for sport.”

“Well Obàtálá has spoken, he means for us to sit through all the abuse until our people began to think the foreign religion has rendered us powerless.” I spat into the sea.

“verily this is not the first time king Obàtálá will make an error in judgement after all he nearly fumbled with the creation of ile-ife when he drank himself to stupor.”

Lanroye shrugged in response to my shocked face and continued. “We were tasked by the creator to guide our people, our king said we have already failed, but him giving up is the real failure, I shall tell you a secret; Obàtálá is old and tired and he wishes to slumber but as Orisha he cannot die even if he wants to, so tell me which other way can he make his wish come to fruition.”

“Unbelief, the power of unbelief.” i heard my hoarse voice over the loud beating of my heart, the anger starting to brew in my chest. “he means to make the mortals forget us, makes us powerless and rendered obsolete, for without their worship we will eventually fade into oblivion.”

Lanróyè nodded at this, for once the jolly face of his grave and serious. “That is why we need to fight back and put the fear of the Orisha back into the fleeting hearts of the humans, I am fighting back, Aróní is already fighting back, what says you oh fiery eyed one who’s spittle are tongues of fire, are you the king you once were who is second to none or are you Obatálá’s lackey?”

“I am Shango the Lord husband of Oya, I am storm, I am fire, I am death.”

I raged as I made a beeline for the Portuguese traders, the me in the dream has only his flaming eyes for his prey as he drew his battle axe but the me in the present saw the wide grin of triumph on Lanróyè the trickster god’s face as he disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

And no matter how much I cried I could not warn my old self from breaking my King’s decree and bringing about my ruin.

3 Likes

Re: The Children Of Thunder by priestchurch(m): 8:43pm On Dec 18, 2019
Tnx alot for d update
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 9:09pm On Dec 18, 2019
priestchurch:
Tnx alot for d update
grin cheesy
Re: The Children Of Thunder by Khriztarl(f): 8:06am On Dec 19, 2019
I NEED MORE #oliver twist# Dis story is mind blowing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 10:29am On Dec 20, 2019
Chapter Eleven

Something woke Omotola in the dark. She squealed, panicking until a familiar voice hissed at her to hush it, she brushed her hair from her face and glared balefully at Shettima.

“What’s the big idea Dracula you want to give me a heart attack?’’ He smiled apologetic, "sorry if I scared you, but it's really important that we talk.’’

“You saw me at drills just this morning,’’ Omotola growled irritated, ‘’I need my sleep, and haven’t we agreed you quit your midnight strolls for a while? You’ll ruin everything.’’

“Change of plans, I saw something else’’ he cuts in so sharply she shuts up fast, “if we have to leave we should leave soon.’’

“You have a nice cubicle, she heard a deep voice said.’’

She squealed again in alarm, her wings flashed electricity so bright Shettima flinched, then she saw Obiora chuckling, his twin Orchid stood beside him grinning in amusement, carrying a sleepy Babybaby astride her hip, then Binta jumped unto her colt to hug her, her black curls braided into a corn rolls.

“Perfect’’ Omotola rolled her eyes to cover her embarrassment, He brought the entire 5th generation with him.

“I had to bring us together,’’ Shettima said, in answer to the; explain the meaning of this; expression look on her face.

“It’d better be a good reason or else the doctor’s wrath won’t be the only thing you should fear’’ Obiora warned, his wings stirring restlessly at his back, his great size seems to make Omotola’s cubicle smaller.

“This morning’’ Shettima whispered urgently as they all quieted down to pay attention. “I overhead one of the doctors saying our performance at the big domed hall impressed the sponsors but concerns were raised about the destructive powers we displayed, which left quite a number of them arguing about how a threat we could be to the outside world, and questions about how much of a control the institute has over us,’’ his colleague then replied and said, by the time the RPA project is complete, there wouldn’t be any further issue and further need and reliant on the origin.’’

Binta frowned, “what's an RPA and what has that got to do with us?’’

“Don’t you get it?’’ Shettima snapped, irritated at their bemused look. ‘‘RPA means regeneration prototype annexation, the regeneration prototype is Logan and the annexation has to do with the new test they’re carrying out on him that seems to be killing him, and the origin might be the man I told you about, something about no longer needing him when they’re done. I did something I had dared to try once only and entered the doctor’s head, it was so sudden he complained of a headache and left the lab immediately but not until I have found out the institutes plans for us.’’ he finally stopped talking with a shudder.”

For a while, they all stared dumbly at each other.

“What did you see?’’ Orchid whispered nervously.

2 Likes

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 10:39am On Dec 20, 2019
Shettima seem to have lost his ability to talk until Obiora, impatient, strode over purposefully, lifted him up and shook him like a cocoa sack and then dropped him in disgust as they all protested in alarm, he moved back to his corner of the room to glare. The rough treatment seemed to worked, because Shettima coughed and continued, his voice hoarse.

“The mental contact was brief but I glimpsed enough to know Logan is in grave danger and so are the rest of us, they’re trying to make Logan overload on purpose. Like the rest of his generation in order to annex his abilities into machines they have already built that could copy and manifest our powers.’’

There was uproar at this; Omotola was surprised no Askaris came knocking at the racket.

“They plan to ship Obiora and I off to fight in some country in the middle-east, Orchid and Omotola to another facility in the United States and Europe respectively, Binta to overload, So they can annex her electro kinesis abilities, and finally they find Babybaby simply too volatile and dangerous, so they plan to put her down and absorb her powers into nuclear weapons.

“Not before I tear this place apart brick by brick’’ Obiora growled, his eyes already glowed scarlet.

“I don’t think I like this place anymore’’ Babybaby said, she seemed to be taking it quite well.

“We should leave now’’ Orchid chipped in.

“Not without Logan’’ Binta her normally cheerful face competing with Obiora’s rages at the moment. “we have to find where they’re keeping him and then we leave, right after tearing this place down brick by brick like Obi said.’’

It was one thing to make threats and form bravado, and another to carry it out. For a while they all stared dumbly at each other, the fear of the institute slowly suppressing the new found justified anger.

“What now?’’ Babybaby broke the awkward silence.

“We find out where they are keeping Logan then we leave quietly,’’ there will be no need to fight our way out. Shettima said.

“What about the mystery man’’ Omotola cuts in on Orchid as she was about to speak, she frowned but said nothing allowing her to continue. “We can’t just leave without knowing who he is and what he knows, where are we going to run to if we succeed in breaking out? This facility is all we know as long as we can remember.’’

They then argued on for some time until they all finally agreed to let Shettima figure out where Logan is being kept and then bid their time in order to plan out a successful jailbreak.

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 10:47am On Dec 20, 2019
Chapter Twelve

But things took a turn for the worse as the classes they’ve always had together was canceled, Omotola had a sick feeling that the institute was trying to ease their separation by keeping them apart, like puppies about to be sold off, not siblings with humane feelings.

Drills and tuition became a private activity and their schedules were adjusted to reduce the chance of them being together but instead, the recent turn of event did nothing but agitate them the more as they began to act unruly, Omotola was beaten, prodded and confined to her cubicle without meals several times for asking questions, of course the institute needed someone to blame for that.

Because Katie was never seen again and she was replaced by a stone faced lady who ignored all attempts at conversation.

“Where’s Katie?’’

“Silence…”

“Who are you and when is she coming back?”

“More silence…”

“I bet you’ll scream if I lift you up and toss you from the balcony, I hope you’re a bad conductor of electricity lady, keep that attitude, cos we’ll soon find out.”

“Sniff…silence…”

Omotola wished she could say something positive, like she took a deep breath the way Katie taught her, reined in her emotions and felt a lot better but she lost her temper and zapped the letter “S” out of her new handler’s silence, stone faced lady screamed loudly enough to wake a dead man.

She was severally punished for this. Doctor Mugabe threw her in the laundry room as the institute staff called it, they all dreaded the place, she was hanged like a cloth to dry, her wings clipped to a power line that siphoned all the electrodes in her, using her as a conduit to power the machine, it was a torture slow and agonizing. Her shoulder blades attached to wings bearing her dense weight burned with pain as if they were being ripped off, she hung there screaming and sobbing for a day and an half before she was taken down.

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 10:55am On Dec 20, 2019
Stone faced lady stopped coming, a small victory at that. She was replaced by a nervous mousy old matron, who observed her rounds with an two armed Askari guards, she'd refused to attend to her without protection as she must have heard that Omotola was the one responsible for landing stone faced lady in guidance and counseling.

A month after the meeting in her cubicle, she was beginning to doubt if she would ever see her siblings again, maybe they have been taken away, maybe they were being overloaded one by one and her turn was just around the corner.

She woke up one night to see Babybaby’s chubby face all up in her face, she shrieked in alarm as they all laughed at her expense.

“This is getting old,” she said, trying to cover her embarrassment.

“Sorry, sorry Omotola, she piped, you slept like you were dead, had to check if you were britteling.”

“It’s breathing Babybaby,” Omotola corrected, sometimes she forgets she was only six, Babybaby was smart for her age, “all’s forgiven, I’m so happy to see you guys, I thought you were all gone.”

After the hugs and kisses, they shared news and stories about their ordeals, Omotola had to take a bow cos her own travails was nothing compared to the others, Obiora spent four days in the laundry room and Babybaby was not given sweets and treats for two days that she wished she was dead.

They would have chattered till daybreak had Shettima not put an end to their reminisce, he told them the heavily medaled general came with the doctor to inspect him but he did not know what traversed between them as he was scared to even attempt looking into the formidable looking general’s head.

He told them he'd finally found the floor where Logan was being incarcerated and if they needed to get something done they have to start now, on saying this, he told them to gather around him as he spread his dark wings to their full length, Obiora crouching to get at least a shadow from his wingspan then Shettima ported.
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 11:11am On Dec 20, 2019
Omotola would have screamed if she hadn’t lost her breath as they were sucked into cold darkness, she forced her eyes open into an inky dark as she saw her cubicle fading away like uncolored television, and then the light came back as sudden as it left dumping them unceremoniously on an unfamiliar floor with infrared lighting.

The other children recovered from the aftershock faster than her, she guessed it was thanks to having experienced it trice when they made for her cubicle picking themselves from the floor as they stared nervously around.

Shettima staggered, he face pale.

"Are you alright?" Orchid asked in concern. "Give me just a second to catch my breath." He answered, "I have never taken this much number too many times in one night."

“We have to walk from here, Shettima whispered looking tired but stubborn as he led them down the crescent corridor, “the red light here stops me from gathering enough shadow.’’

In silence they moved toward a great metal door yellowed with rust. A warning sign read: CAUTION’’ Quarantine Area….KEEP OFF!!! inked in great fading letters.

“The sign nearly had me turn back the first time.’’ he whispered as he punched some codes on the lock unit, “I got it from a doctor’s head the first time I tried the umm! Peeking into head thing, they change it every week or so I think, hopefully I have the latest pass code or things are going to get messy.’’ he replied in answer to their bemused looks as the metal barrier swung open.

They gathered outside for a moment, afraid to go in, in fear of whoever awaits them inside then summoning courage, they filed in behind Obiora’s larger form as he led them carefully into the forbidden chamber.

The room they entered was large and circular, filled from wall to wall with wirings and dials like the body of a giant generator, in the middle of the room an hourglass like device hummed. A box shaped steel cage sat at the very top surrounded by a moat filled with some glittering fluids that was definitely not water, the hourglass like machine sends the fluid up the cage steel bars and down, the bars of the cage shimmered whenever the liquid touches.

They stood gaping at the strange device and stepped back in alarm as the cage occupant rose up from its interior.

A creature gazed down at them, he was the tallest man they had ever seen. Taller even than Obiora and broader than Bature, dark cocoa skinned, cruel grey hawk like eyes on a face too hard to be called handsome, his long hair was braided up in corn rolls style and decorated with cowries. He had nothing on except a red hand loomed fabric kilt to cover his unclothedness from waist to his knees and held together by a snake skin belt.

Red coral beads adorned his neck and wrists, a solid gold band on each of his muscled arms the size of tree trunks, he stopped right at the edge of the glimmering cage bars glowing with a red aura as the children took in his features, his fierce gaze had them transfixed.

“Why children,’’ his bass voice rumbled like stormy weather, “is this the way you would greet your father?”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Kkay03(m): 1:33pm On Dec 20, 2019
Pls more update....i had to keep myself busy by reading all your other stories but now im done with them abeg post the next chapter or chapters.plsss
Re: The Children Of Thunder by priestchurch(m): 2:36pm On Dec 20, 2019
U re too much bruh, wat a fascinating story. Pls keep d update flowing..
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 3:03pm On Dec 20, 2019
Kkay03:
Pls more update....i had to keep myself busy by reading all your other stories but now im done with them abeg post the next chapter or chapters.plsss
I'll try to post some more tomorrow bro, I'll have enough time as it'll be weekend by then.
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 3:05pm On Dec 20, 2019
priestchurch:
U re too much bruh, wat a fascinating story. Pls keep d update flowing..
thanks bro...and also if there's any grammatical errors whatsoever..let me know

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by priestchurch(m): 3:49pm On Dec 20, 2019
sheikshegetto:
thanks bro...and also if there's any grammatical errors whatsoever..let me know
.. Ok bruh, Dat won't b an issue...
Re: The Children Of Thunder by hardeybhayour(m): 8:19pm On Dec 20, 2019
Good job man
Neaxxxxxxxxxxxxt
Re: The Children Of Thunder by Kkay03(m): 9:43am On Dec 21, 2019
You promised weekend oh....pls post fast..i've been refreshing this page since morning
Re: The Children Of Thunder by Kkay03(m): 8:29pm On Dec 21, 2019
I've been waiting since morning.....this isn't fair cause u promised
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 8:32pm On Dec 21, 2019
Kkay03:
I've been waiting since morning.....this isn't fair cause u promised
apologies bruh,...today has been eventful,I thought I'll be home early to post, but it didn't go as planned...I didn't mean to disappoint bruh
Re: The Children Of Thunder by priestchurch(m): 9:03pm On Dec 21, 2019
sheikshegetto:
apologies bruh,...today has been eventful,I thought I'll be home early to post, but it didn't go as planned...I didn't mean to disappoint bruh
.. We accept ur apology bruh Bt it is not too late to bless us wit d update grin grin
Re: The Children Of Thunder by Khriztarl(f): 6:16pm On Dec 22, 2019
You are good.. i mean too good... well done bro. neeeeeeeeext!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Getting Lost In Lust (18+) / More Than A Flirt (18+) / Ridding On My Son's Lap ( Short Erotic Story 18+ )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.