Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,919 members, 7,817,691 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

The Children Of Thunder - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Children Of Thunder (20420 Views)

A Short Poem In Honour Of The Children's Day By Pat Ashinze / [story]o.g.b.a.n.j.e (the Child Of Thunder) Chapter 9-10 / [story]o.g.b.a.n.j.e (the Child Of Thunder) Chapter 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Bobosneh: 11:43pm On Jan 25, 2020
gbas gbos eveywhere fire. dem don. die today sheybi dem no know shango ni.

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Xtardom(m): 11:07pm On Jan 26, 2020
Bro..this is lit...like really mad...
Please don't keep us waiting abeg

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Xtardom(m): 9:33pm On Jan 31, 2020
Abeg we still dey wait oooi

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Khriztarl(f): 9:36pm On Jan 31, 2020
And tomorrow na saturday o owk na, lemme jux wait

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by jidestroud(m): 9:38pm On Jan 31, 2020
Update pls. grin

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Kkay03(m): 11:20am On Feb 01, 2020
please the update should be voluminous today cause it wouldn't be fair to wait a whole full week just to get 2 chapters that still bothers on just one scenes

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 7:42pm On Feb 01, 2020
Chapter Twenty-six

As I left my offspring’s to mourn their dead, I couldn’t help but felt some empathy towards them. They had been harshly shown life and the vanity that was its garment.

I wandered on after I had dealt with the insignificant warriors who failed to realize their leaders were dead and they were outmatched, for even in my weakened state, they were of no match for me.

There was pandemonium everywhere as the inhabitants of my accursed prison ran helter skelter, the chaos fed strength into my limbs as I wandered on in my search for the exit. At every turn these stubborn mortal warriors would ambush me with their annoying weapons from afar, cowards sons of cowards all of them, for all their persistent none dared to confront me in personal combat.

I beheld my surroundings as I walked, i marveled at the strength of power, wielded by the chubby little one, the might of Orisha Oko the earth god himself, she had pulled up the entire building from its hidden solitude under the earth, I laughed as I imagined the look of surprise on the faces of the mortals up above as they saw a building rise from the earth unto their midst.

At last, I was left alone, the warriors having fled as common sense seemed to have prevailed and I waded on amidst the mortals as they scurried about like ownerless fowls, their annoying wails had my teeth gritting so hard I wanted to stamp them flat unter my foot but the call of the sun drew me on and I did not want to spend another moment longer in the rat hole that had been my prison.

Finally free of the building, with a burst of joyous laughter I hailed the godesss Imọlẹ, and the sun itself; footstool of eledumare. I groaned in pleasure as I bath in the sunlight, familiar magical energy flowed into my limbs and the first thing I did with the divine magic was rid myself of the rooster wings at my shoulder, I closed my eyes, savoring the pleasure as my essence fed and heightened, it was time to take on to my birthright. It was time to repossess my lost powers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 8:13pm On Feb 01, 2020
The elements I was master over forsook me during my incarceration, not because I was cut off from imọlẹ the source of life but mainly due to disuse, after all they were elemental spirits and they needed to be wielded, not trapped down with me in perpetual darkness.

Long have they gone without a master, feral they would be and they would surely resist my summon but my will shall not be denied for I am their lord and they must bend to my will.

Only Iná the fiery spirit stayed true all through my captivity, and the fire element burned hot in my belly as I reached out to it's siblings.

At first they prowled nearer out of curiosity, their feral minds vaguely recognize the one they once called master.

"I know you," Ará, the spirit of lightening crooned.

"Could it be?" The wind sprites wailed, "has our master returned?"

"Yes I have my pets, you will attend me as you once have." I answered.

But instead the lightening spirit prowled closer, seeking weakness. "Once I called you lord and did your bidden, then you were strong, an Iroko among trees but now you are weak, now a cassava stapling calls.’’

Stung at the insult, I sent my will coiling like a python at the element, seizing it before it could react.

“Hold your peace Ara thou traitor for have you not also fallen far? Outside of my employ, you who once sends kings flying under their beds in terror, no mortal dares wander outdoor when you roam, for even in the safely of their huts they are still not safe. Now they have taken all that from you, rendered you toothless for they built rods that controlled and muzzled you, bind you into their machines and devices, perchance you have forgotten how mighty you once were as I wielded you, perhaps Arira has forgotten."

Then I knew I had it for the element ceased in it's struggling to ponder as it's siblings circled us.

"Join with your master once more, all of you and the world will learn to fear you once again."

"Who are you to talk of glory days long gone, you who had been caged by the same mortals." Ìjì, the spirit of storms wailed. "For I remember, once I raged through lands and seas unchecked, then we served one who knows not his mother’s true name, for when she died, she was buried in the land of her birth, away from the son she bore. And when he was of age, he sent slaves to his mother’s land to acquire her name, that he may honor the woman who had borne one so great, but only one slave succeeded in acquiring her name."

‘‘What is that woman called, from whose loins the mighty Iroko was brought forth?’’

"I am the mighty Iroko, lord husband of the tempest Oya, I am Jakuta the stone hurler, earth shaker, Olu Kòso the avenger, Shango the son of Toro whom she bore for Oranmiyan the lava tempered one. The lady of sands and spears, her name is Toro, princess of Tapa, daughter of Elempe and the apple of his eye.
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 8:41pm On Feb 01, 2020
"Join with me once more, my will is undeniable for you have been too long without purpose, now I shall give you one for my vengeance is inevitable."

“We see your rage and it is full, we hear and we obey and once more we join with you." the elements chanted in unison, "embrace us for we come.’’

The roar of painful ecstasy mixed with the claps of thunder and the wailing gathering storm escaped from my mouth as the element merged with me, their eager invasion forced me to my knees. The lingering pain felt like years then subsided as peals of aftershock raced through me and I was whole again

At last, i opened my eyes.

I had gathered quite an audience during my mental clash of will with my powers, a crowd of gaping mortals surrounded the mammoth sized institute building. They held tools up that flashed lights and ignoring the uniformed men trying to hold them back from the gaping hole from which the institute and I rose from. flying machines with whirling blades darted up above held my fascination until one of the uniformed men’s call drew away my gaze.

His voice loud as he talked from a horned object he held in his hand, he was speaking the language of the institute, asking me who I was and ordering me to get on my knees.

“I am Shango, I roared, standing tall so they can beheld me and bask in my divinity. You stand before an Orisha mortals. Perhaps if you’ve forgotten the god, you recognize the man, I am an Alaafin of imperial Oyo and you will bow in homage.”

The man mumbled into a device hanging at his shoulder, the winds stole a few word to my ears.

“Some half naked drug addict claiming to be the king of Oyo or some escaped lunatic from a nearby mental home."

some people near him laughed. My blood blazed, eyes flashing, a mortal has insulted for the last time, Mugabe’s death has done nothing to pacify me and this worm calling me a madman broke the dam, they have forgotten me, they must surely be reminded, I summoned bands of air as I rose up above them.

“Yes, gape now mortals, as you all witness the presence of Arabambi." I growled.

They instead 'ooh’ed' and 'aah’ed', their flat shaped metal devices clicking and flashing vigorously. Confused at their reaction for instead of the fear and the homage I was expecting, they were fascinated, clapping as if I was performing for their pleasure.

My last remaining self-restraint snapped and I unleashed my anger with abandon. With a mighty roar an inferno sprang forth from my mouth and nearby buildings were set ablaze, the earth trembled at my rage and the clouds darkened and the sky wept, then pandemonium brokeout as the mob screamed in terror as they struggled to get away from me.

Now things are starting to make sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 9:20pm On Feb 01, 2020
Chapter Twenty-seven

Omotola gaped after Shango’s retreating figure, taking the gunshots and howls away with him. She couldn’t help but ponder over the Doctor’s warning about him using them as a mean to serve an end.

She looked at her siblings.

Binta and Orchid bent over Babybaby as she sobbed over Orchid’s shoulders, Shettima and Obiora stood solemnly aside, their wings fanned fretfully at their backs.

“What do we do?’’ Orchid’s whispered to no one in particular,

“I suggest we make ourselves scarce before we’re blamed for all this or worse get captured again.’’ Binta shuddered as she glanced fearfully at the ruined chamber and mangled corpses.

“What about Logan?

“We will not help him by sticking around here; Obiora cuts in, bending over to cradle Babybaby into his arms. “Binta’s right," he said "following…Shango out of here before he leaves us behind is the main priority, then we figure out what to do next.’’ With one last look of distaste at the carnage, he led his siblings out of the chamber.

They followed Shango’s path of destruction like bread crumbs, ignoring a few stragglers and some jail breaking 1st and 2nd generation creatures who ignored them in turn as they all strolled purposefully towards freedom.

The shock they felt as they finally crawled their way out overshadowed the awe at seeing the sun for the first time.

The thunder god was destroying everything in sight.

He hung midair, his wings of flame gone but he was suspended instead on a funnel of storms as he hurled lightning bolts and fire down at buildings and cars, people running up and down, trying to out screech one another.

"Nice, one minute into the world and he is already burning it down before we have a chance to enjoy it." Obiora grimaced joylessly.

The scenery must have looked like a page out of an apocalyptic book, a floating storm god, the skeletal remains of a skyscraper looming out of the depths of the earth like a spoon in a tea cup, androids and creatures out of a steampunk age nightmare racing out of the institute unto the city. Everywhere was in chaos and Shango stood in the midst of it all.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Children Of Thunder by uvalentine2003(m): 9:25pm On Feb 01, 2020
Last one please

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 9:35pm On Feb 01, 2020
They heard the wail of police sirens in the distance, they'll need the army was Obiora's thought as he led his siblings closer towards Shango. A frantic news reporter ran through the dust and smoke, cried after them, warning them that they were running towards the wrong direction, she instead saw the wings on their backs and fled the other way, screeching like an opera singer, her wig askew

A helicopter spiraled out of the sky, tail trailing smoke. Shango must have decided it was falling too slow for his liking as he hurled a lightening bolt after it to hasten its crash landing. He laughed quite maniacally as the chopper exploded.

“You dared to ooh at my divinity, aah at my ascension, Howu! a few years of absence and your fear of the Orisha is gone with the little wisdom you had once possessed, by Eledunmare the creator of you and I, I shall remind you all, you dared to call me mad, by Obatala the sky king I will show you madness.”

He raged as he raised his hands to the heavens. The sky turned scarlet, hiding the sun from view as hail stones began to rain down on the city.

"He will destroy the city," Omotola cried as she raced forward. "Shango stop, destroying innocents will only make you the same with the institutes.’’

The deity glared down at her, flaming eyes flashing lightning. For a heart wrenching moment, she thought he might blast her from existence then the storm began to abate as he landed not too softly on an accord car, he must have something against Hondas, because he took his sweet time stamping away from the flattened motor.

“For your sake daughter, their destruction will be postponed, let them cower over this for a while, for this is simply the beginning. The era of the panteon of science is over and the reign of the Orisha shall rise from its flaming remains, come let us leave this accursed place behind.”

"BEHOLD LET THE CITY MICE HEARKEN AND TELL THE ONES IN THE FIELDS FOR SHANGO HAS COME AND WITH HIM COMES JUDGEMENT AND RETRIBUTION.

On saying this, he rose back into the air riding the wind, they hesitated, was following him the right choice? But Babybaby detached herself from Obiora’s arms, spread her rainbow wings and fluttered after him, and they had no choice but to follow.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Children Of Thunder by uvalentine2003(m): 9:44pm On Feb 01, 2020
Nice 1 Op
U tha best
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 9:49pm On Feb 01, 2020
uvalentine2003:
Nice 1 Op
U tha best
thanks bruh...that meant a lot
Re: The Children Of Thunder by Chukwudozzie(m): 10:01pm On Feb 01, 2020
Keep it up sheik, the storyline is fascinating, next update please.
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 10:24pm On Feb 01, 2020
Chukwudozzie:
Keep it up sheik, the storyline is fascinating, next update please.
thanks bruh... probably Friday I suppose
Re: The Children Of Thunder by enm(m): 2:07am On Feb 02, 2020
Wow!

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Bobosneh: 2:25pm On Feb 02, 2020
Damn I'm speechless. make God just give me money soonest make I just dash prof sheiksheggeto money like this as a token of appreciation. mehn I'm so loving this.

2 Likes

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 7:02pm On Feb 02, 2020
Bobosneh:
Damn I'm speechless. make God just give me money soonest make I just dash prof sheiksheggeto money like this as a token of appreciation. mehn I'm so loving this.
God go bless you with abundant wealth my brother.
Re: The Children Of Thunder by Michealkross(m): 9:46am On Feb 03, 2020
Nice piece op

1 Like

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Bobosneh: 9:39pm On Feb 03, 2020
sheikshegetto:
God go bless you with abundant wealth my brother.
I say a big amen o.
Re: The Children Of Thunder by uvalentine2003(m): 5:11pm On Feb 09, 2020
Sheikshegetto hw fa
Come and update na
Re: The Children Of Thunder by Bobosneh: 10:09pm On Feb 11, 2020
Mr sheik hope all is well. please come and update o
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 12:40pm On Feb 12, 2020
Twenty-seven

They flew northward for what seems like hours until their wings began to tire.

Shango simply ignored the rest of them but took Babybaby into his arms and flew on forgetting the fact that he was riding on winds while the children flapped painfully after him, stoically bearing their discomfort in silence partly because they feared he might leave them behind and take Babybaby away with him and because of their rigid training with the institute.
At last, at sun down, he banked and dived, superman style as they awkwardly adjusted their flight pattern to follow him. What a show off, Omotola wanted to yell but she had all her last remaining endurance concentrated on trying not to fall on her head. He landed gracefully on a plateau while they crashed after him like drunken ducks; he simply ignored them as he gently placed a sleeping Babybaby on the grass.

From the way his shoulders stiffened, they knew he was still boiling with untapped rage.

“Where are we? Omotola asked quite timidly because Shango had not said a word since they left the city of Lagos behind, his foul mood was literally visible as he glared across the landscape, his back towards the children.

“Shango; she started but quickly swallowed her words in a squeak as he whirled to face her, so fast he left an after image of himself.

“You will not call me by name child, his bass voice laced with anger. Our culture could not have fallen so low that a child begins to call her elders by name.”

Obiora moved protectively in front of her.

“Then behave like an elder he sneered, so far all we’ve seen is a god play tantrum.’’

Shango literally fumed smoke like an expert hemp smoker as he glared at Obiora, the latter to his credit stubbornly held his gaze.

“Are you gonna smite him or turn him to food? I’m hungry.’’ Babybaby piped in, Shango laughed putting an end to the tense moment.

“What would you like to eat little one.’’

They all let out the breaths they didn’t realize they were holding, Omotola saw a trickle of sweat ran down Obiora’s brow; like them, he was scared stiff but he still stood up for her. She rose on her toes to wipe it off his forehead smiling gratefully up at him in thanks; he simply shrugged like it was nothing and went to join the others by the warm fire Sango had already conjured.

Being cuddly and adorable must have been one of Babybaby’s powers because everyone, minus the late Doctor Mugabe and miss evil Monroe always ended up eating from her chubby little fingers. Thanks to her, Shango’s foul mood was soon forgotten as he tried to magic food he had never heard of to their amusement as Babybaby bossily issued out suggestions.

“I said peperoni pizza not pepper, honey and whatever native soup this is.’’

She then screamed in horror when Shango conjured a fully roasted dog instead of the hotdog she asked for, the thunder god, bemused made the offending dish vanish as she shrilly berated him to the others amusement.

As they ate, Omotola found out they were in Niger state in northern Nigeria, Shango, sorry; Dad (she wasn’t looking forward to being smitten with lightning cos she didn't think he ground kids like it was done nowadays, he’s an old fashioned bloke, like her handler would always say) he probably flew autopilot and led them to his mother’s native country, Tapa, she was surprised they had flown that far.
Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 1:04pm On Feb 12, 2020
"Tell us a story," Babybaby piped in content, her stomach heaved with food.

“It is past your bedtime little one, Shango said fondly, "with no moonlight to lighten the dark, Dada the impish deity of mischievous children roams around, looking for truants to steal away to play with him forever in his groove."

“Ha! My Daddy is Shango.’’ she scoffed, ‘’Dada will think twice before stealing me if he knows what is good for him.’’

The thunder god chuckled. “Very well I shall tell you a tale written by a favored mortal author and you will go to sleep, once upon a time.”

“Time! Time,” Babybaby echoed back grinning like silly, her siblings drew up to listen while Shango simply smiled and continue.

"Long ago, in the ancient town of Ire. favored of Ogun the Orisha of blacksmiths, iron and warfare.
Among the inhabitants was a devoted worshiper, Ogunniyi the blacksmith. Whose name means (Ogun owner of prestige) He was humble and diligent in his ways, finding favor before his patron god who in turn blessed him with skills unmatched amidst his colleagues.

In spite of his talents, he was fair with his customers and everyone who seeks his craftsmanship for both the wealthy and the poor had access to the works of his hands but alas, he was not a happy man.
The only blemish in his simple life was his wife, for while Ogunniyi was humble, charitable and kindhearted, Ogunremi whose name translates to (Ogun soothes me) was the opposite. She was not happy with her husband’s lack of business attitude to which he sold his refined works at meager prices; she hated the fact that they were not wealthy like other blacksmiths with lesser gift of craft.

The sight of other blacksmiths wives strutting around town in expensive attires and jewelries sickened her with so much with bitterness and envy that she took it as her mission in life to make life miserable for Ogunniyi her husband.

"Unfortunate fellow, so called favored of Ogun owner of ire, yet you have nothing to show for it, the iron one blessed you with skills second to none, yet you wallow in penury, as you have decided to make your family a laughing stock, it will not be well with you." She would nag and curse poor Ogunniyi at every single opportunity till he would fly from his hut to find solace in his smithy.

“That wasn’t cool’’ Babybaby cuts in, ‘’instead of nagging, she should have gotten her husband a business agent or something, she could see her husband lacked marketing skills.’’ They all laughed at this.

“Peace child, there was no business agent back then, now will you let me continue with my story?"

“Despite all this, Ogun himself has not forgotten his faithful servant, for he went to the sky king, Obatala the sculpturer and borrowed a clay child, then to the realm of Ajé the goddess of wealth, and to the house of Àlàáfíà, her most serene daughter; lady of peace and prosperity to borrow the charm for wealth, and of peace to enjoy it, for wealth is meaningless if you do not have peace of mind.

Back at his forge, he casted the clay child into the fire and with it went the charms he had procured from Ajé and her daughter, from his undying furnace of molten lava under the hills of Ire he molded a most beautiful child and with it the aura of fortune, peace, prosperity to bless the household it would belong to.

Satisfied with his worthy gift to his most loyal servant Ogunniyi, he sent the child of fortune to the world of men.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 1:15pm On Feb 12, 2020
Alas, faithless Ogunremi, for impatient with jealousy and greed had decided to hasten her fortune by committing money ritual.

She sought out a wealthy friend who told her the price in exchange for the ill-fated fortune. She would sacrifice her unborn child, a mother would hesitate before she would kill her child for money, but not Ogunremi, her love for wealth suppresses that for her unborn child, what is the need for the child if there is no money to take care of it, after all I can always have another, money is important she resolved.

“That’s horrible’’ Babybaby gasped, her saucer sized eyes shone with the light from the fire, "what a terrible woman.’’

“I’ll say there’s a little of Ogunremi in our mothers too.’’ Binta muttered bitterly. Her first word since they left Lagos.

“Hush children’’ Shango said and continued his story.

“A few months later, she delivered a most beautiful child, strong limbed and healthy; skin the color of clay. Every woman would fall in love with Ogun’s gift but not hard hearted Ogunremi. She took the baby to the evil shrine and was told to cast it into a great fire as offering for the daemon deity. As she moved towards the fire, she glanced down at the baby and was shocked at what she saw.

The baby glared back at her with wide eyes filled with fear and intelligence, it's expression carried a message of warning against the consequence of her action, pleading with her to spare it the agony of being burned, so it can forever retain its beauty, in return, it promised to make her wealthy beyond which no man had ever possessed.

For a moment her steps faltered as a sliver of pity wormed into her heart for the beautiful child but the salivating daemon from within the flame crooned
promises of instant wealth and abundance her way.

With a cry, she threw the baby into the fire and the soul of the child of fortune fled back to Ogun’s realm, sent back with fire and pain by the mortal it was sent to help.
Soon Ogunremi became so wealthy and influential that she was given a chieftaincy title, she finally had the respect she had always crave for. She scorned poor Ogunniyi and mocked him with his uselessness every chance she had, with the issue of wealth settled she was now ready to have more children.

Back at Ogun’s realm, the child of fortune; sat weeping at the gate to his brass palace disfigured by the daemon fire for neither the blemished nor the marred dare enter the smith god’s household.

It’s weeping drew forth the servants of the Orisha who recognized it for who it was, fled back to their lord to report the grave news. Ogun came running at this and roared with rage at the destructive hands of mortals, he sat weeping with the child, begging it to come into his gates but the child refused but instead begged for permission and the power to return and serve retribution to the one who had wronged it so.

A few months later, illustrious Ogunremi was in labor, well-wishers and drummers stands ready at her door to celebrate with her but the gatherings soon turn into commotion as the mid-wives fled her hut with fright. "the world has ended, we have never seen such calamity as the likes of this," they wailed as they fled, their heels touching the back of their heads. Some curious folk went in to see what was amiss then took flight screeching as if possessed by Ewele the weeping daemon.

The crowd of well-wishers soon dispersed in fear to avoid sharing in Ogun’s wrath until only Ogunniyi was left alone. For a while, he stood apprehensively by the door. Finally summoning courage, he went in to his wife’s hut and saw Ogunremi stone dead, her face scrunched in everlasting agony.

By her side was her baby, still covered with her blood, he was shocked when he saw that it was alive. He found a cloth to clean it and notice the dark scars marring its body and in its tiny fist, it held Ogunremi’s still beating heart.

He forced its fist open to remove the gory trophy, as the child looked up at him, with grave wisdom in its eyes; Ogunmola’s tender heart was touched as he saw past the child’s ugliness.

‘’Child of fortune I shall name you,’’ he crooned softly, ‘’Ogun gave you to me and I shall cherish you,’’ he said as he left his late wife’s hut with his baby. Ogunniyi cared for the child with so much love, it decided to stay with him, blessing his household with abundant wealth, peace and prosperity.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 1:26pm On Feb 12, 2020
Chapter Twenty-eight

A subdued silence enveloped the fireplace after Shango’s story, interrupted only by the occasional chirping of the night crickets.

“That does not count as a bedtime story,’’ Babybaby finally found her voice.

“It is child,’’ the thunder god answered.

“No it’s not’’ Babybaby insisted quite stubbornly. “bedtime stories are supposed to be a nice tales with happy ending, all bedtime fairytales are, like the ones Amaka used to read to me, this one is a stupid story.’’

“Babybaby hush it’’ Orchid started, fearing the frown on Shango’s face.

“What is a fairytale?’’ he asked instead.

“Well it’s the best story there is, a prince falls in love with a princess, a bad witch not happy with the arrangement pokes nose into the matter, the prince cuts her great big nose with his shiny sword, rides away with his love and everybody lives happily ever after.” Babybaby concluded with an air of wisdom.

“Such silly tales brings up silly minded children child, in our own culture, bedtime stories and folklore teaches lessons and bared the realities of life to our children for in real life not all princes succeeds in cutting off their witches nose, some ends up eaten by the witch or betrayed by their supposed princesses.’’ Shango pronounced gravely.

“That’s not true’’ Babybaby cried, the princes in fairytales are always brave, Amaka says…"

“Well Amaka is dead now eh, fairytale did not prepare her for someone like Mugabe or she wouldn’t have worked for him in the first place.’’ Shango snapped finally losing his infinite patience.

Babybaby was silent, her lower lip quavers, everybody stiffened in apprehension, waiting for the dam to break. But the thunder god sighed and awkwardly patted her on the head like she was a dangerous beast.

“I spoke rashly child, forgive me, fairytale is not silly, neither is folklore for both teaches its own lesson, the hours draw near witching hour, it’s not time for a baby to be up.’’

“I’m not a baby,’’ Babybaby protested between sniffs and yawns. “Tell me another story please a mixture of fairytale and folklore.’’

“Enough stories for today darling, Orchid cooed as she pried her away from Shango, ‘’he will tell you more tomorrow, on the positive side, we don’t wake for drills anymore so you have all day.’’

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 1:44pm On Feb 12, 2020
Soon they all huddled together to sleep, the day event must have tolled on them because they were soon snoring.
For the first time in weeks, Omotola’s sleep was dreamless as Shango must have felt she earned a nightmare free night as a reward for jail breaking him but she soon stirred before dawn, waking up to see Shango and Obiora sitting side by side in mutual companionship.
Surprised, she listened in to their subdued conversation without moving.

“It is eerily silent,’’ Shango mused.

“Is the night not supposed to be?’’ Obiora asked.

“The magic, the mysteries are all fading away," he lamented, " A night like this is supposed to be filled with the supernatural, the witching hour is the time when the veil is drawn, the veil which shields the world of men from the spirit's as they gather to trade works and share news. Alas, we slept too long and the sons of men has forgotten us.

For a while they both sat silent in their thoughts.

"The cords linking my worshippers to me are faded and few, I’m baffled, now other cords links to me from across the sea to the west, what does that mean?’’

“Well you slept through the slave trades and dark times of the 18th century, Obiora shrugged, ‘’my siblings thinks I’m big and stupid but I read enough, west African slaves were taken to the new world, some must have brought your religion with them and passed it to their children, they’re mostly in America; brazil, Cuba and Haiti.

“Fascinating, Shango exclaimed, you most tell me more about this new world.’’

“You’re a deity, you mean to tell me you have never gone beyond the continent?’’ Obiora said, bemused’’

"it is easier said than done child for rules compels gods more than it held mortals, we can cross dimensions and places under our dominion, but the sky king Obatala decreed that the Orisha must not to cross beyond Olokun’s realm, even the Sea king never shared much about what happens beyond his kingdom."

Shango drew himself up, his face glinted with mischief.

"But once in a while I would remember that I was once a king myself who had been second to none but the god's themselves, my adventurous spirit which was not cured in my youth pushed me into breaking the pact and I ventured out to seek adventure once or twice, beyond the lands of the desert men with their veiled women, the women they protected like precious stones at all cost, little help it did them from the likes of me."

He chuckled darkly and continued, ‘’but one day I ventured far beyond that, Northward across a narrow sea to lands of cold ice, of long haired men paler than albinos for some of them were as red as the color of crayfish and their women as white as corn meal.

It was when Lanroye dared Dada the impish deity of mischief to steal into the garden of Àrùn and steal a prized livestock from the goddess of diseases and affliction.
But he was instead tricked into stealing her infant son, the dreaded god shoponna, Orisha of smallpox and plague.

When he found out that he has been bamboozled, he dropped the terrible infant and fled for fear of Arùn’s wrath, the child deity landed painfully onto the world of man and took his revenge on them."

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Children Of Thunder by sheikshegetto(m): 1:56pm On Feb 12, 2020
"The death tolls, sacrifices and the cries of men stirred Obatala, and the king in white clothes sent emissary gods to fetch the dreaded infant deity, but they were instead defeated as shoponna sent them packing.
Obatala sent others, but they were in turn beaten black and blue.

Finally, he then sent Ogun and I, the battle raged for days for shoponna as with all the offsprings of Arùn is a savage and formidable creature but even he must bow before the combined might of Shango lord of Koso and Ogun lord of Ire, he fled north and we followed.

The chase led us beyond the realm border, and Ogun always the faithful dog drew back, but nothing would sway me from my quarry, until at last I seized the wailing ugly creature in my grasp, and by the time the chase was over I had crossed into another thunder god’s dominion.’’

Obiora sat up at this; breathless, Omotola now keen on the story adjusted to listen better.

“You met another thunder god?” he was excited.

“Yes, in the land of cold and ice, of men with pale skins, long beards and helms with bull horns, never have I seen a fearsome race of men. I knew I was in another thunder god’s dominion because the elements there were unruly. Lightening became slippery in my grasps and the air refused to hold me up as it buckled like a horse as if to drop me.

Mad with rage, for Shango Olu Koso never takes no for answer, I wrestled the rebellious elements with fire until I subdued them,’’ Shango chuckled at the memory, “the other god was not pleased."

“He flew over to challenge you” Obiora exclaimed quite excited.

“Yes he did, Shango replied. "I could hear his roar from a league away, for when a man enters another’s hut and defecates on his floor, he should be ready to expect trouble, I am no mean man, I was hungry to test myself against such a god of savage hairy men, their deity would be a worthy adversary, my blood boiled with excitement, Oshe hummed in my right hand, the child deity shoponna wailed in my left, I roared back in challenge, the sky darkened and boiled with confused storms for two elephants has crossed path, the grass will suffer the consequence of the battle."

“What happened after that?’’ Obiora gushed impatient.

“Then king Obatala happened,’’ Shango growled, his happy mood gone with the wind, "For he called my true name with the authority of the beaded crown giving to him by the Eledunmare the creator, for which all must bow to his will, he compelled me to come back, having no choice but to retreat, shaming me before my adversary and wounding my pride in the process, with one last howl of rage I was drawn back through the portal he summoned back into Orun Alakeji the realm of gods."

“Oh,’’ Obiora finally said, disappointed, "it was not your fault though, the sky king had to be such a chicken, the other thunder god would understand, with the stupid pact and all, about time someone set gods from different pantheons against each other for some sell out WrestleMania, I know you would have kicked some ass.’’

Sango was mildly consoled. “yes the battle would have been glorious, Ogun would have been sick with jealousy, I promised that one day I will meet with this unknown thunder god, we shall share wine and blows, and we would kickass.’’

Obiora laughed at this, Shango joined in, Omotola smiled too as she drifted back to sleep.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Children Of Thunder by uvalentine2003(m): 2:43pm On Feb 12, 2020
Good work bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Children Of Thunder by Bobosneh: 7:56pm On Feb 12, 2020
wow such a lengthy update thank you bro God bless you abundantly
Re: The Children Of Thunder by Kkay03(m): 9:52pm On Feb 12, 2020
thanks for the update bro....God bless you abundantly but should we still expect another update by saturday

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Getting Lost In Lust (18+) / More Than A Flirt (18+) / Made In Nigeria English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.