Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,860 members, 7,813,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. (65313 Views)

Husbands Of Groom And Brides Moms Whos Dressing Got People Talking Spark Reacti / Husband Thanks His Wife For Putting His Name Under Her Father's House (Pix) / Emotional Torture In My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by fairygeh(f): 7:02pm On Dec 23, 2019
EMMNIG:

I totally disagree with your u, plaiting of hair at tender age is good for a girl child, because it prepares the child for the challenges that is attached to the future especially pains during labour. In my culture it is assume that a female who cannot bear the pains of plaiting can't as well bear the pain of labour. Thanks
So it is a 5 year old child that should be exposed to what labour looks like, Are you listening to yourself at allwhat happened to teenage years

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by ireneidiva(f): 7:03pm On Dec 23, 2019
tot:

Your hair type must be 4xyz in that case cheesy
I am yet to see a hair type that would be hard after it's well moisturized.
Some of us do o. So its just better to braid to prevent it from breaking and pain.

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 7:03pm On Dec 23, 2019
fieryy:

And when you try to teach them, they give you excuses to why your hair is different

This is so true. I've been accused of being mixed race,

Some says it's the climate im from. Excuses
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by tot(f): 7:03pm On Dec 23, 2019
fieryy:

Kuku kill the child nau. Shebi it's yours

What does kill have to do with haircare? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 7:04pm On Dec 23, 2019
tot:

I have medium length healthy natural hair which I am happy with. My point is let people do what works for them. We are not in a nanny state.

Pulling hair does not work
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Ladycewhy(f): 7:04pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

All you have to do is tie it
again ,not all hair texture will cooperate, before they return from school the hair will look like the child went to a war zone. The hair stretching every morning is not worth it.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by tot(f): 7:05pm On Dec 23, 2019
ireneidiva:

Some of us do o. So its just better to braid to prevent it from breaking and pain.

I can imagine cheesy Hair types are so varied to be honest.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

This is so true. I've been accused of being mixed race,

Some says it's the climate im from.
Excuses

I get this every single time after a 'Is this all your hair? '. I'm not doing anything special, I just know what to do

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by blesoh(f): 7:07pm On Dec 23, 2019
doitforyou:

You just quoted me to type what I didn’t type.

First, I agreed with the OP but said it isn’t true for ALL hair textures. For some hair textures, the second pic is not realistic for DAILY maintenance, no matter the amount of hair products you use, it’s even more torturous to subject the child to that kind of pain every day before school. For some, except chopping the hair all off what is best for the child is to get a good braider with light hands to braid/cornrow the girl’s hair once a week.

My point, life isn’t black and white, there are some children with hair textures where styling can be a daily challenge. So, we shouldn’t judge all mothers who have children with cornrows and not a bun.
You are right, my daughter can't stand the pains immediately I try to comb she starts crying the best thing is to plait it, hair textures are not the same

7 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 23, 2019
EMMNIG:

I totally disagree with your u, plaiting of hair at tender age is good for a girl child, because it prepares the child for the challenges that is attached to the future especially pains during labour. In my culture it is assume that a female who cannot bear the pains of plaiting can't as well bear the pain of labour. Thanks
Just imagine. In almost 2020.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by ireneidiva(f): 7:08pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

All you have to do is tie it
Without combing?

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by lonelydora: 7:08pm On Dec 23, 2019
computergeek:
Why do we have to teach little girls to go through unbearable pain for so-called beauty even when they are only a few months old?

I get so upset each time I see a little girl crying for hours unending at the salon while they pull, poke and prod her hair. The moms would actually be the ones holding the girls down while the hairdressers harden their hearts to the children's tears. I always wonder, what exactly are you trying to achieve by putting your child through so much pain just to have her sporting a few awkward-looking weaves? Since she's not old enough to decide that this is what she wants, she shouldn't be stressed and hurt just to look pretty. Are they looking for suitors? Do they have to start so early to stress to impress?

With her natural hair, well-oiled, combed and packed nicely into buns or tails, she'll still be the beautiful princess you gave birth to. I really hate children being put through any sort of skin pain. When my son was a baby, he was fussy about getting his hair cut, so much that we used to wait till he was deeply asleep before clipping his hair. Sometimes we'd only manage to go halfway, but we'll leave it like that until he sleeps again.

How do fathers permit this? When we were growing up, my dad would personally insist on the hairdresser coming to our place to braid so he could sternly warn her to go easy on our heads. When he saw that we still cried regardless, he had them cut off all our hair grin. We hated it then, but at least the gut-wrenching crying stopped.

Some little girls would be sick for days from the tight, skin-breaking braids their mothers would allow someone to put on their heads.

I remember a day I was getting a manicure at the salon, a little girl whose mom had dropped her off was getting hair done at the corner. She cried so much that after a while, there were no tears left to shed. Her irresponsible mother came back after a while and said, "Obego nke izizi?" As in, "Has she cried the first round?"

Just imagine.

Mothers please, this festive period, if your daughter hasn't been tortured yet, kindly look for something that won't cause her any pain and have them style her hair with it (shown in the second photo). She's beautiful however she looks. You're not in a competition with anybody to have the finest child. That's how they'll grow up to believe that they can never be beautiful without weaves and braids.

My daughter is actually going through one now. She has been crying since
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by gracechellar(f): 7:09pm On Dec 23, 2019
computergeek:
Why do we have to teach little girls to go through unbearable pain for so-called beauty even when they are only a few months old?

I get so upset each time I see a little girl crying for hours unending at the salon while they pull, poke and prod her hair. The moms would actually be the ones holding the girls down while the hairdressers harden their hearts to the children's tears. I always wonder, what exactly are you trying to achieve by putting your child through so much pain just to have her sporting a few awkward-looking weaves? Since she's not old enough to decide that this is what she wants, she shouldn't be stressed and hurt just to look pretty. Are they looking for suitors? Do they have to start so early to stress to impress?

With her natural hair, well-oiled, combed and packed nicely into buns or tails, she'll still be the beautiful princess you gave birth to. I really hate children being put through any sort of skin pain. When my son was a baby, he was fussy about getting his hair cut, so much that we used to wait till he was deeply asleep before clipping his hair. Sometimes we'd only manage to go halfway, but we'll leave it like that until he sleeps again.

How do fathers permit this? When we were growing up, my dad would personally insist on the hairdresser coming to our place to braid so he could sternly warn her to go easy on our heads. When he saw that we still cried regardless, he had them cut off all our hair grin. We hated it then, but at least the gut-wrenching crying stopped.

Some little girls would be sick for days from the tight, skin-breaking braids their mothers would allow someone to put on their heads.

I remember a day I was getting a manicure at the salon, a little girl whose mom had dropped her off was getting hair done at the corner. She cried so much that after a while, there were no tears left to shed. Her irresponsible mother came back after a while and said, "Obego nke izizi?" As in, "Has she cried the first round?"

Just imagine.

Mothers please, this festive period, if your daughter hasn't been tortured yet, kindly look for something that won't cause her any pain and have them style her hair with it (shown in the second photo). She's beautiful however she looks. You're not in a competition with anybody to have the finest child. That's how they'll grow up to believe that they can never be beautiful without weaves and braids.
This annoys me to the marrow. The selfish and wicked nature of some mothers.

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 23, 2019
Godhatesodomy:
Wow

Wake up out your slumber

Your god must be confused.

Exodus 25: 18-22, God commanded Moses to make bronze images of angels, Cherubs over the Ark of the Covenant.

Numbers 21: 8-9
God commanded Moses to make serpent of bronze and raise on a pole so that any Israelite that looked upon that SERPENT will be SAVED!

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by gracechellar(f): 7:09pm On Dec 23, 2019
fairygeh:

So it is a 5 year old child that should be exposed to what labour looks like, Are you listening to yourself at allwhat happened to teenage years
You dey answer am.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by blesoh(f): 7:09pm On Dec 23, 2019
fieryy:

Water, leave in and oil is all what you need. I packed my hair in a bun/puff almost everyday last year. The daily styling itself took me ca. 5 mins. What had really been time consuming was the weekly washing and conditioning
Some kids can't stand the pains of styling everyday

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 23, 2019
fairygeh:

Just imagine,very sad.I totally believe because even as an adult,there are some hairstyles that one does and just feel like taking it off immediately,due to the tightness and the fact tha it makes one very uncomfortable,even to sleep na wahala,not to talk of kids.very unnecessary.

Very true.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by gracechellar(f): 7:10pm On Dec 23, 2019
tck2000:
I like it when girls are on buns!
We all like it. But not at the expense of the sanity of the child.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 7:11pm On Dec 23, 2019
Ladycewhy:
again ,not all hair texture will cooperate, before they return from school the hair will look like the child went to a war zone. The hair stretching every morning is not worth it.

Exactly. Those lovely pictures are of when the child is sitting still and behaving. What about after 5 hours of play and yab

At least braids are robust enough to let the child be free with herself

5 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 7:13pm On Dec 23, 2019
ireneidiva:

Without combing?

Yes !
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 7:14pm On Dec 23, 2019
EMMNIG:

Hahaaa..what a joker

I don't even want to ask what culture you're from

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 7:15pm On Dec 23, 2019
fieryy:

I get this every single time after a 'Is this all your hair'. I'm not doing anything special, I just know what to do

So true we are just more informed
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Godhatesodomy: 7:16pm On Dec 23, 2019
FrLukas:

Your god must be confused.

Exodus 25: 18-22, God commanded Moses to make bronze images of angels, Cherubs over the Ark of the Covenant.

Numbers 21: 8-9
God commanded Moses to make serpent of bronze and raise on a pole so that any Israelite that looked upon that SERPENT will be SAVED!

Yet not of God.

Wake up out your slumber
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Ladycewhy(f): 7:17pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

Exactly. Those lovely pictures are of when the child is sitting still and behaving. What about after 5 hours of play and yab

At least braids are robust enough to let the child be free with herself
Thats the point ,how durable and sustainable are buns? Just give the child 30 mins to play and all the hair will be over the place plus not everyone has the time to style hair every morning before school imagine if you have two daughters or more.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Amsickindahead: 7:17pm On Dec 23, 2019
This op must be sick in da head

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by PerseDew(f): 7:18pm On Dec 23, 2019
1. Most stylists don't know how to care for our hair type.
2. In turn a lot the styles damages the edges over time.
3. We should learn how to take care of our hair ourselves.
4. If you must go to a salon, don't let them plait your dry hair. Spray water and some moisturizer on it to make it less painful.
5. Because of bad hair care and coily nature of the 4c hair, getting the 4c hair into buns is not easy or it has not even reached and so must be plaited (corn rows) to avoid bigger problems.
6. We should learn to accept our hair. Its true nature most times is that kinky old look. Changing hair every 2 weeks because "it is not neat" should be discouraged. 4c type hair is not for such frequent pulling and tugging. That said mothers should let school authorities know that their kids can't go through pain cos of weekly hairstyle and so the child can just do 2 or 4 cornrows.
7. After accepting our hair, we should stop applying relaxers (active ingredient: sodium hydroxide). Googling about side effects of relaxers will help you understand better.
8. OP, I get your point but pls those pics you put up there are not realistic without relaxers that even has damaging effects on humans.

I forgot to add the bun style does not pass one day in most cases like most have said. Also, even buns are not recommended for any hair type because it is just about combing, pulling and tugging. Which will weaken the hair and lead to hair loss in the front and back.

5 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by snowblaq(f): 7:18pm On Dec 23, 2019
It's a personal matter of choice.. Live and let live.. ..do to your kids and allow another to do to theirs.. ...its better I braid my kids hair once in 3 weeks than combing daily in the name of styling and making a bun.. ..thats more tedious on both the kids and mother and it isn't sustainable anyways.. I'd rather make the hair once in 3 weeks.. ..not anything too painful but pain is a subjective matter.. .a lot of kids would cry anyway you comb their hair.. .that doesn't mean we should scrape it skin cut or leave it unattended to.. .
The kids crying doesn't in anyway make the mum a wicked person please.. ..most women are just being mothers in the best way they know how to and with the best intentions.. ..

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Biglittlelois(f): 7:20pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

So you don't have to do alot for these styles:

I have to ask, are you Nigerian? For you to think all kids hair will look like that, especially pure African, cos the picture used looks like a child of mixed parents

5 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Image123(m): 7:20pm On Dec 23, 2019
Hian. Is it not no pain no gain? Let everything be done moderately. You cannot or should not shield your children from all pain. No good parent does that, even God.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 7:21pm On Dec 23, 2019
Ladycewhy:
Thats the point ,how durable and sustainable are buns? Just give the child 30 mins to play and all the hair will be over the place plus not everyone has the time to style hair every morning before school imagine if you have two daughters or more.

Totally. Who has time in the morning to be manipulating all the curls and sprigs Just for it to get messed up after a couple of minutes or, even worse, the girl doesn't feel comfortable playing and goofing around with her friends because "I don't want to scatter this hair".

Very impractical. This is why braids were developed in the first place!

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by tot(f): 7:22pm On Dec 23, 2019
snowblaq:
It's a personal matter of choice.. Live and let live.. ..do to your kids and allow another to do to theirs.. ...its better I braid my kids hair once in 3 weeks than combing daily in the name of styling and making a bun.. ..thats more tedious on both the kids and mother and it isn't sustainable anyways.. I'd rather make the hair once in 3 weeks.. ..not anything too painful but pain is a subjective matter.. .a lot of kids would cry anyway you comb their hair.. .that doesn't mean we should scrape it skin cut or leave it unattended to.. .
The kids crying doesn't in anyway make the mum a wicked person please.. ..most women are just being mothers in the best way they know how to and with the best intentions.. ..

Thank you, well said. Exactly my point. It's a very subjective issue depending on so many factors. You can't use one instance to judge all others.

6 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by PeacenLove2: 7:22pm On Dec 23, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

With proper hair conditioner for your hair type and good moisturizer combing your hair will be like a walk in the park.
Remember to divide your hair in sections and comb from tip to scalp .

So moms can do this every morning before taking their kids to school and then go to work. Okay, mommies. Well done.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Man Shares Photo Of Drug He Found In Younger Sister's Bag / Teenagers Dedicate Their Newborn Son In Delta Church / I Caught My Husband Chatting With A Lady On Facebook & WhatsApp & Confronted Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.