Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,242 members, 7,836,159 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. (65589 Views)

Husbands Of Groom And Brides Moms Whos Dressing Got People Talking Spark Reacti / Husband Thanks His Wife For Putting His Name Under Her Father's House (Pix) / Emotional Torture In My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 23, 2019
Biglittlelois:

Not all, probably the ones around you.
The one around me?
U know Chris rock's hair documentary?
I listened to his interview on BBC radio.
He said
Nigerian women tops the scale of women around the wold who spend the highest on hairdo.
So don't tell me shit about the one around me.

The way our men uses money, cars or houses to pose and feel on top of the world is the way we use hair to determine class. When u see a fellow woman, the first thing u look at is her hair, so stop.
It's a cankerworm else why will we be subjecting small children to constant pain if not to show off?
What happened to shaving everything off until they reach the age, they can be able to endure the pain?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:00pm On Dec 23, 2019
Biglittlelois:

That picture you showed was pulled, can't you see the front of her hair is almost gone, due to pulling, whether tightly or not?

Its gel pls..its not tight
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Sterope(f): 9:01pm On Dec 23, 2019
Do you mean that you have have managed to convince yourself that wincing in silence meant no pain?

BlackPantherCri:

I started when she was 18 months. Now she's the real MVP grin
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 9:02pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

They're nice products, and they do help with shedding as they make your hair well conditioned. However, there is still some pain. The only one time my children didn't complain of pain while plaiting their hair was when I used a flat iron to straighten it. That was years ago. It was so easy plaiting it afterwards, but using the flat iron again was a problem as you have to comb it before straightening. You really can't win.

Sis don’t flat iron their hair (heat damage )You can blow dry their hair before braiding it’s makes it a lot easier without any damages .
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:04pm On Dec 23, 2019
ireneidiva:

Use my common sense? The picture looks like an African baby's hair fluffed out with fingers? Okay

Ok and this?

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 9:05pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

You missed my point. A friend of mine in Nigeria gets asked if she is mixed race cos her hair is longer than Nigerian standards.

That's a stupid question cos blk ppl can grow long hair if only we'd love it. They don't need to be mixed.

Neither is it due to climate or whateve excuse you have

People grow hair. But don't forget the genetic part of hair growth. No matter how much you look after your hair, your genes also play a major role. The most major role tbh.
In hair loss/shedding, in hair growth don't ever forget the genetic component.
All the American youtube channels always conveniently
forget to mention this in their pro-black wokeness. Just saying...

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by nerd51(f): 9:07pm On Dec 23, 2019
fieryy:

All textures can sustain a daily maintenance of a bun. I used mine as an example, but all you had to say was 'That's your hair'. Buns are one of the easiest low maintenance hair styles, especially for natural hair

Good evening, actually not all textures can sustain a daily maintenance of a bun. Using my sister's hair and my hair for example, it's torture combing the hair then trying to pack it in a bun every day. And it's not about relaxing it so it will be easier to comb, nope. Braiding and cornrows are better and even with that, you'll still feel some pain when making it,thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 9:07pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

If it won't affect her self-esteem. If that's what she would like you to do.

After all, the hair will still grow again in a few weeks and she might have changed her mind by then.

But telling everybody to do that just because you think everybody must be like your child is nonsensical.
What do these children know about self esteem.
We impose these things on them and it became the norm.

I didn't do my hair as a kid and that didn't stop me from playing and running around.
It's the new modern Nigerian woman standard.

Instead of not plaiting their girls hairs, they rather not plait theirs.

Has nothing to do with the child but her mother.

Allow a child to be a child. She will grow and do all he hair styles in this world. But the Nigerian materialistic factor and show off won't allow us.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Biglittlelois(f): 9:07pm On Dec 23, 2019
sassysure:

The one around me?
U know Chris rock's hair documentary?
I listened to his interview on BBC radio.
He said
Nigerian women tops the scale of women around the wold who spend the highest on hairdo.
So don't tell me shit about the one around me.

The way our men uses money, cars or houses to pose and feel on top of the world is the way we use hair to determine class. When u see a fellow woman, the first thing u look at is her hair, so stop.
It's a cankerworm else why will we be subjecting small children to constant pain if not to show off?
What happened to shaving everything off until they reach the age, they can be able to endure the pain?

So Chris Rock's hair documentary is the basis to use to generalise Nigerians right? A documentary showing how many Nigerian women, out of the remaining millions? Lol

As much as this is a thread on kids, you cannot force your idea of shaving every females kids hair on every mother, and the pain y'all are venting about isn't all through their lifetime, just a day or two, max, and it not only a Nigerian thing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:09pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

People grow hair. But don't forget the genetic part of hair growth. No matter how much you look after your hair, your genes also play a major role. The most major role tbh.
In hair loss/shedding, in hair growth don't ever forget the genetic component.
All the American youtube channels always conveniently
forget to mention this in their pro-black wokeness. Just saying...

I know. But nigerian women don't even give their hair a chance to determine if its genetic or not?

Their self hate has been imbibed from a young age.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 9:10pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

I will post pictures of some of my normal orders online. This is different from the ones I go personally to buy in the shops o. I'm to lazy to go to where those ones are. These I screen shot from my Amazon orders

You can use this to comb before braiding .
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:11pm On Dec 23, 2019
sassysure:

I was on natural hair for most of my life before I started locking it.
And my hair so stubborn and thick. I met a natural hair expert who guided me on how to handle my wild hair.

U see, we don't have beauty professionals who are experts on natural hair.
Also I noticed that the natural hair products in Nigerian markets are foreign. We assume it's not manageable but if we use the money we spend on artificial and hours of braiding to do the right thing for our natural.hair, we will find out that our hair is indeed beautiful.

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 9:12pm On Dec 23, 2019
DMerciful:
Are you in Surrey?

Yes I am cheesy.

Are you familiar with Surrey ?
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 23, 2019
Biglittlelois:

So Chris Rock's hair documentary is the basis to use to generalise Nigerians right? A documentary showing how many Nigerian women, out of the remaining millions? Lol

As much as this is a thread on kids, you cannot force your idea of shaving every females kids hair on every mother, and the pain y'all are venting about isn't all through their lifetime, just a day or two, max, and it not only a Nigerian thing.
Maybe u don't understand what that documentary is all about.
And yes, if the child is crying while plaiting, shave it off.
She won't die. That u passed through that doesn't mean your child should.

I have even seen them planting a yr old hair.
WTF!
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 9:14pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

They're nice products, and they do help with shedding as they make your hair well conditioned. However, there is still some pain. The only one time my children didn't complain of pain while plaiting their hair was when I used a flat iron to straighten it. That was years ago. It was so easy plaiting it afterwards, but using the flat iron again was a problem as you have to comb it before straightening. You really can't win.

It’s somewhat difficult posting pictures .

Try this blow dryer it’s works like Magic

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by DMerciful(m): 9:15pm On Dec 23, 2019
I'm in Surrey. Greenway drive area
Surrey2Bimshire:

Yes I am cheesy.

Are you familiar with Surrey ?
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 9:15pm On Dec 23, 2019
sassysure:

What do these children know about self esteem.
We impose these things on them and it became the norm.

I didn't do my hair as a kid and that didn't stop me from playing and running around.
It's the new modern Nigerian woman standard.

Instead of not plaiting their girls hairs, they rather not plait theirs.

Has nothing to do with the child but her mother.

Allow a child to be a child. She will grow and do all he hair styles in this world. But the Nigerian materialistic factor and show off won't allow us.

You advocated for just shaving somebody's head regardless of the situation. If she likes herself with hair, it will affect her self-esteem. If she's the only person with a shaven head in a school full of girls , it will affect her self-esteem if she's the self-conscious type.

If you're shaving it you shave with the right intentions. If you're braiding a style you braid with the right intentions.

You don't just apply your principles on somebody willy-nilly and then rubbish it when somebody brings up a point.

What you did when you were a child may not be applicable now.

You forget that the reason some women go totally overboard with Indian hair and Brazilian wig blah blah is because they hated having to shave their heads when they were small. All the fake hair now makes them feel like a "big girl".

So shaving isn't a universal solution for everybody.

It's not "allow a child to be a child" but "allow your child to be herself".

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:15pm On Dec 23, 2019
Biglittlelois:

Sis, you're fighting a lost battle.

Nigerian women do not know anything about haircare. Deal with it.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

I know. But nigerian women don't even give their hair a chance to determine if its genetic or not?

U will not win this case o.
It's ingrained in our mentality.

My husband has long natural hair and I weave it for him.

The other day, I was hailing the current miss world ABI miss universe from South Africa. She locks short natural hair.
We so much hate our hair, we fix Brazilian. Imagine a black babe with flat nose fixing Brazilian.
We are never satisfied with what we have. Our hair is very beautiful and unique.

I have seen it all. We can do one and million things with that.

This is our TY Bello.
Can u believe this is all natural?
Isn't this beautiful?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by omojeesu(m): 9:21pm On Dec 23, 2019
Thank you!
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 23, 2019
computergeek:
The write-up isn't about style or unstyled. Cornrows can be done without pain for school.

No one is judging anyone, the point is that no responsible mom should sit and watch her daughter endure pain for hours to look stylish with these over-do hairstyles.

It has no go-around. No justification for letting your daughter cry and fall sick because of hair.

Shave the darned thing off till she's grown up.
Are you implying that those mums who do allow their kids seat to get braided on are irresponsible? You're looking at things from one angle. Not all hairstylist inflicts pains on kids or even adults. There are those you won't know when they finished from when they started. The best advice would be for parents to look for good stylist for their kids.

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 9:23pm On Dec 23, 2019
DMerciful:
I'm in Surrey. Greenway drive area

Oh yeah , I’m from Redhill

You’re like 20 minutes away from redhill cheesy
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 9:25pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

The purpose of this thread is about not plaiting/braiding children's hair because it's too painful
Not about self hate or wearing weaves and some obviously ridiculous hair pieces . That would be another long topic on it's own. I think the thread has being derailed
Many mothers plait their children's hair, not out of self hate. Our foremothers have been plaiting hair since time immemorial. That has always been our culture, and never about self hate. That is what makes us who we are. If we're not threading our hair, we're plaiting it or even using extensions and ornaments.. They used shea butter in those days, and still managed to have long hair, while some cannot just grow their hair.
I think Chad people use chebe powder which worked well for them too as many have very long hair. However, that's where your genetics also come into play again. Fulani people have always had fine long hair (fine in the sense that it's smooth and straight) probably types 2 hair type. It's still their genetics and they are Africans too.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by darkwan: 9:27pm On Dec 23, 2019
i dont understand why black women do this....
is like they want to kill the hair off....

this type of self hate is unique in the entire world....
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

Pls, I've posted some of the products we use. I always use live in conditioner and good products for African hair. I wash with shampoo and conditioner specifically for natural hair- jamaican castor oil (I've tried others, but they were not better than the jamaican castor oil products). After washing, i apply my masque and put shower cap for at least 30minutes to 1 hour before washing off the masque. Then , I apply leave in conditioner.
Afterwards, I use a detangling brush to comb out their hair. Before I start putting oils.
Yet, it's still shouts upon shout, just to wash hair lasan and we've not started plaiting o.

Pics of my disposable shower caps.
Btw, I'm also subscribed to several natural hair channels on instagram and YouTube, to show you that we mean business o.

1 & 2 - - > Pics of my relaxed hair
3) transitioning hair
4) shrunken afro. Pic was taken last year. Unfortunately, I do not have an accurate current hair length

Aunty, it's not about being natural all of your life, it's about knowing what to do. My mum was the one who took care of my relaxed hair and it flourished. I started taking care of my hair when transitioning, didn't just watch any random videos but EDUCATIVE ones like the greenbeuty channel. She analyses everything very well especially the science behind it.

I also know what I'm taking about, k?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by DMerciful(m): 9:29pm On Dec 23, 2019
Seems we also have Surrey in UK. I'm actually in the one in British Columbia, Canada
Surrey2Bimshire:

Oh yeah , I’m from Redhill

You’re like 20 minutes away from redhill cheesy

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 23, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

It’s somewhat difficult posting pictures .

Try this blow dryer it’s works like Magic
Thank u my dear kiss

U can even DIY.

So many YouTube channels for our hair types.
So many.
Thanks to people in diaspora and blacks outside Africa.

How can u hate your hair?
Does that make sense. Even if u want to fix, fix something that relates to us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 9:32pm On Dec 23, 2019
DMerciful:
Seems we also have Surrey in UK. I'm actually in the one in British Columbia, Canada

cheesy that's colonisation for you. There's also a "Lagos" in Portugal!

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 9:33pm On Dec 23, 2019
Ryan03:
mehn! You just need to shut up now. I hate when people argue blindly

grin grin grin grin
Lol
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by DMerciful(m): 9:33pm On Dec 23, 2019
Yea..True. even in South Africa, a lot of UK cities names are replicated
midnighter:

cheesy that's colonisation for you. There's also a "Lagos" in Portugal!
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:35pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

The purpose of this thread is about not plaiting/braiding children's hair because it's too painful
Not about self hate or wearing weaves and some obviously ridiculous hair pieces . That would be another long topic on it's own. I think the thread has being derailed
Many mothers plait their children's hair, not out of self hate. Our foremothers have been plaiting hair since time immemorial. That has always been our culture, and never about self hate. That is what makes us who we are. If we're not threading our hair, we're plaiting it or even using extensions and ornaments.. They used shea butter in those days, and still managed to have long hair, while some cannot just grow their hair.
I think Chad people use chebe powder which worked well for them too as many have very long hair. However, that's where your genetics also come into play again. Fulani people have always had fine long hair (fine in the sense that it's smooth and straight) probably types 2 hair type. It's still their genetics and they are Africans too.

So putting extensions in a little girls hair is not self hate? undecided their hair is still tender and growing, they don't need extensions to pull out the little bit of hair they have.

I am ok with braiding it just shouldn't be TIGHT. That's what the women in this thread aren't getting.

And fulanis are mixed. You have no point.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 9:38pm On Dec 23, 2019
DMerciful:

Ahah there’s a greenway, 20 min away from redhill lol ..

Yes , there’s a Surrey in Canada and in Australia

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

The Cousin My Mum Brought To My House Has Destroyed My Son / Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? / Caucasian Woman's Traditional Way Of Serving Nigerian Husband Food Causes Stir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.