Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,148 members, 7,835,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. (65561 Views)

Husbands Of Groom And Brides Moms Whos Dressing Got People Talking Spark Reacti / Husband Thanks His Wife For Putting His Name Under Her Father's House (Pix) / Emotional Torture In My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by DMerciful(m): 9:40pm On Dec 23, 2019
I don dey plan to drive 20 mins to your place come chop Christmas rice, loool
Surrey2Bimshire:

Ahah there’s a greenway, 20 min away from redhill lol ..

Yes , there’s a Surrey in Canada and in Australia

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by sharone21(f): 9:40pm On Dec 23, 2019
I have read the FOR and AGAINST natural hair instead of braids, but what would u say about my type of hair that seemingly look soft but very difficult to relax, intact I have stopped experimenting with relaxers. I just do weapons and leave my hair for months till I do another new weavon. For those who are busy or don't have time 'maintaining' the hair on a daily basis, the weavon or wig is the solution. I saw TY Bello's hair and I don't know how she maintains it daily to look shiny and good.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

So putting extensions in a little girls hair is not self hate? undecided their hair is still tender and growing, they don't need extensions to pull out the little bit of hair they have.

It's not self-hate at all. What about white women who go and get blond extensions sewn into their scalp to make it appear thicker

What about those who use kinky or yakki extensions that mimic their natural hair texture?

If you keep arguing like that you will eventually reach the conclusion that basically all body modifications mean that you "hate yourself".

Adding attachments helps to keep the hair neat for longer which is less stress on the child since they won't need to keep making it every week.

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Both should never hurt.
Styling and braiding should never hurt. You clearly know nothing about hair. grin

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:43pm On Dec 23, 2019
sassysure:

U will not win this case o.
It's ingrained in our mentality.

My husband has long natural hair and I weave it for him.

The other day, I was hailing the current miss world ABI miss universe from South Africa. She locks short natural hair.
We so much hate our hair, we fix Brazilian. Imagine a black babe with flat nose fixing Brazilian.
We are never satisfied with what we have. Our hair is very beautiful and unique.

I have seen it all. We can do one and million things with that.

This is our TY Bello.
Can u believe this is all natural?
Isn't this beautiful?

Tell me about it sis sad

Brazilian hair, big nose, big lips..not a good fit. No wonder black women are seen as the ugliest race in the west and they don't get it.

Big lips, big nose go with big hair, black women don't realise we look best in our real hair sad

Our beauty is unique
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 9:46pm On Dec 23, 2019
jakandeola:
hahaha I think u are wrong u cant compare our weather to oyibo own. did u know d sun most times melt our hair? cold weather can Neva damage d air thier weather is not even cold but fresh.so u are saying most Africans dont eat well or not.are all oyibo rich yet dey got long hair.both black and white.have u seen any black person abroad witout long hair.forget style.na only oyibo sabi maintain hair.?

Lol super funny .
There’s no such thing as “Oyinbo” weather hair growth and softness has nothing to do race or location it’s has everything to do with how you care for your hair .
Hair growth has absolutely nothing to do with race anyone can growth their hair it’s depends on how you’re able to retain your length and sometimes a little bit of genetics too .. but definitely not a race or location thing
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 9:47pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

So putting extensions in a little girls hair is not self hate? undecided their hair is still tender and growing, they don't need extensions to pull out the little bit of hair they have.

I am ok with braiding it just shouldn't be TIGHT. That's what the women in this thread aren't getting.

And fulanis are mixed. You have no point.

You have no idea of what self hate is please. Extensions have been part of the African culture since time immemorial. It is who we are.
Secondly, what are the fulani mixed with?
You seem not to know that the black race is the most diverse of all races genetically and phenotypically. You know so little about your people.
Because Chadians/fulani have beautiful long hair doesn't make them mixed. You have just shown self hate yourself becasue you have confirmed you don't truly believe Africans/ the black race can have long beautiful hair unless they are mixed.
You still have more schooling to do under those your pro-black YouTube channels you watch o. You're not doing them proud, and just picking snippets here and there instead of approaching it holistically

6 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Biglittlelois(f): 9:47pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Sis, you're fighting a lost battle.

Nigerian women do not know anything about haircare. Deal with it.

And who are you to generalise? How many have you met in your life? Only -0 esteem's like you gloat about knowing it all, while you can't even be at par with some Nigerians in your entire lifetime.

7 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 9:48pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Tell me about it sis sad

Brazilian hair, big nose, big lips..not a good fit. No wonder black women are seen as the ugliest race in the west and they don't get it.

Big lips, big nose go with big hair, black women don't realise we look best in our real hair sad

Our beauty is unique

You're actually the one ridiculing African women, who told you our lips don't match our hair

So does Angelina Jolie need to force her hair into an Afro?

If you think we still look good natural it's fair enough but that doesn't mean we don't look good in other styles.

You're going so far in one direction that you're beginning to sound like the racists you hate so much.

7 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 9:48pm On Dec 23, 2019
DMerciful:
I don dey plan to drive 20 mins to your place come chop Christmas rice, loool

Oh dear lol , you’ll have to fly

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:48pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

It's not self-hate at all. What about white womem who go and get blond extensions sewn into their scalp to make it appear thicker

What about those who use kinky or yakki extensions that mimic their natural hair texture?

If you keep arguing like that you will eventually reach the conclusion that basically all body modifications mean that you "hate yourself".

Adding attachments helps to keep the hair neat for longer which is less stress on the child since they won't need to keep making it every week.

I really don't want to go into this. But...

The average white woman doesn't wear fake hair, but the average black woman does.

If I leave my house right now, I'm guaranteed to bump into black women with wigs but I know the white woman will all be natural.

Secondly, its natural for whites to have blonde hair but not for black ppl. That's their problem.

How many blk women wear yaki? Not enough sis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:51pm On Dec 23, 2019
Biglittlelois:

And who are you to generalise? How many have you met in your life? Only -0 esteem's like you gloat about knowing it all, while you can't even be at par with some Nigerians in your entire lifetime.

What are you talking about jackass? I'm Nigerian.

The blks in the west love themselves more than you lot back home.

But it should be the other way around, isnt it funny?
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 23, 2019
Ryan03:
are you sure you are Nigerian?
She doesn't have to be a foreigner. Combing of hair comes with its peculiar discomfort especially when it's not done with due care, but with braiding, expect a degree of pain. It could come while parting the hair, while adding attachment or while the stylist is almost done with the hair. This isn't peculiar to any country. Go on Youtube and take a look at braided hairstyles made by foreigners, you'll notice the ones that are managing their pains. Are those ones Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 9:52pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

I really don't want to go into this. But...

The average white woman doesn't wear fake hair, but the average black woman does.

If I leave my house right now, I'm guaranteed to bump into black women with wigs but I know the white woman will all be natural.

Secondly, its natural for whites to have blonde hair but not for black ppl. That's their problem.

How many blk women wear yaki? Not enough sis.

So you should say it like that instead of implying that all people who use extensions must hate themselves.

You're just being facetious, so what of black people who wear black or brown hair?

If you want to make a point you should be reasonable. Don't use extreme examples to paint all black women bad.

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:52pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

You're actually the one ridiculing African women, who told you our lips don't match our hair

So does Angelina Jolie need to force her hair into an Afro?

If you think we still look good natural it's fair enough but that doesn't mean we don't look good in other styles.

You're going so far in one direction that you're beginning to sound like the racists you hate so much.

Keep wearing your weave sis, can't stop you there
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by oloriLFC(f): 9:53pm On Dec 23, 2019
This thread made me remember a story my mom(God rest her soul) told me years ago. When I was a two year old or thereabout, mom took me out to visit her sister who was a hair stylist then. When mom got home, I was looking all kinky but dad wasn't comfortable. He didn't complain tho, he just carried me out as tho for a stroll. When he got back, my head was all shaved, braids disappeared. Then he told mom that he won't allow any of his female kids go thru pains all in the name of looking good that when they are old enough, they'll make the hairstyles they want. Mom said the thing pained her but she had to agree. My younger sister and I didn't start making our hair until we left secondary school.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:56pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

So you should say it like that instead of implying that all people who use extensions must hate themselves.

You're just being facetious, so what of black people who wear black or brown hair?

If you want to make a point you should be reasonable. Don't use extreme examples to paint all black women bad.

What do you mean extreme examples? Doesn't the average black women wear hair that looks nothing like the hair underneath? Is that extreme or is that commonplace?

A generalisation doesn't mean all, it's just too many.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 9:59pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

What do you mean extreme examples? Doesn't the average black women wear hair that looks nothing like the hair underneath? Is that extreme or is that commonplace?

A generalisation doesn't mean all, it's just too many.

I asked, what about black people who wear their same colour of hair?

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 9:59pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

I asked, what about black people who wear their same colour of hair?

Good, and the texture?
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Tell me about it sis sad

Our beauty is unique
So unique.

When a child is not comfortable with this beauty of a thing, let her be. My mummy didn't force me. I grew up normal. Tried again in secondary school. Didn't make me feel bad. Let children be children and even pour sands on their hair while playing.

They will do hair till they get tired of it.
If u insist, then get to work with natural hair products and make it less painful for her.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 10:02pm On Dec 23, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

Sis don’t flat iron their hair (heat damage )You can blow dry their hair before braiding it’s makes it a lot easier without any damages .

I did it just once, years ago, and I've never done it again. I didn't like the after effect on the older one's hair. She has really nice, long hair, and I think it caused some split ends which I didnt like.
She's also the one that shouts the most about anyone touching her hair. Just don't touch her head and you guys will be alright cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 10:02pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Good, and the texture?

I mentioned "blond" and you said white people use their same colour of hair. That is why I asked you that question.

I have talked about texture already.

You make it sound like we are all out there wearing 40-inch pink wigs and looking ridiculous.

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 23, 2019
oloriLFC:
This thread made me remember a story my mom(God rest her soul) told me years ago. When I was a two year old or thereabout, mom took me out to visit her sister who was a hair stylist then. When mom got home, I was looking all kinky but dad wasn't comfortable. He didn't complain tho, he just carried me out as tho for a stroll. When he got back, my head was all shaved, braids disappeared. Then he told mom that he won't allow any of his female kids go thru pains all in the name of looking good that when they are old enough, they'll make the hairstyles they want. Mom said the thing pained her but she had to agree. My younger sister and I didn't start making our hair until we left secondary school.
Bless him.

If there is any where I fault naija mum it's this hair thing.
That thing is very painful.
Children will be having headache and fever just because of hair.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Ishilove: 10:07pm On Dec 23, 2019
Never had that issue, with my hair being as tough and as stubborn as elephant grass, my mum did not even bother braiding. She just combed mine into two buns, tied them with colorful ribbons and voila, Christmas hair don set.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 10:10pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

I mentioned "blond" and you said white people use their same colour of hair. That is why I asked you that question.

I have talked about texture already.

You make it sound like we are all out there wearing 40-inch pink wigs and looking ridiculous.

Yes but most don't wear hair extensions that look like our hair..what you have on, shows what you like.

It doesn't need to be pink and 40 inches..
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Biglittlelois(f): 10:13pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

What are you talking about jackass? I'm Nigerian.

The blks in the west love themselves more than you lot back home.

But it should be the other way around, isnt it funny?

Shut your stupid ass up with your low esteem, bringing down your kind because you are over there, your reek of a low mentality bum, look at you, comparing hair care according to nationality, as if all blacks takes care of themselves thoroughly as much as most here, nonsense.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 10:14pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Yes but most don't wear hair extensions that look like our hair..what you have on, shows what you like.

It doesn't need to be pink and 40 inches..

I have talked about that already.

I understand that we have a problem with inferiority complex and making our hair look more "white" but that doesn't mean that everybody who does that is totally ignorant about what makes them look good or that people who don't automatically conform to your view of what looks "good" must be stupid.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 10:16pm On Dec 23, 2019
Biglittlelois:

Shut your stupid ass up with your low esteem, bringing down your kind because you are over there, your reek of a low mentality bum, look at you, comparing hair care according to nationality, as if all blacks takes care of themselves thoroughly as much as most here, nonsense.

I'm just being honest sis. I won't lie to make you feel better. And you're wrong, blacks in diaspora do take better care of themsleves
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 10:17pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

I did it just once, years ago, and I've never done it again. I didn't like the after effect on the older one's hair. She has really nice, long hair, and I think it caused some split ends which I didnt like.
She's also the one that shouts the most about anyone touching her hair. Just don't touch her head and you guys will be alright cheesy

Ahaha bless her heart ❤️

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 10:20pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

I have talked about that already.

I understand that we have a problem with inferiority complex and making our hair look more "white" but that doesn't mean that everybody who does that is totally ignorant about what makes them look good or that people who don't automatically conform to your view of what looks "good" must be stupid.

They are ignorant. We look better in our real hair.
The world needs to see out beauty. Blk women don't realise that we give other races power when try to look like them.

If I was saying blk women look better in their weaves, I'm sure you'd find that less offensive.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 10:21pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

Have a look at the blow dryer I sent you . It will make things easier for you.
Another thing I’ll suggest is whenever you decide to deep condition their hair ,you can use that as an opportunity to detangle her hair .
It’s kinda makes things a lot easier
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 10:31pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

They are ignorant. We look better in our real hair.
The world needs to see out beauty. Blk women don't realise that we give other races power when try to look like them.

If I was saying blk women look better in their weaves, I'm sure you'd find that less offensive.

It's not about arguing that we look better in our natural hair. You are free to think that. And it's true to an extent.

It's about you implying that we don't look good at all in weaves or other styles, when that's simply not true. And you're being deliberately insincere by using extreme language to prove your point.

You keep using words like big lips and big noses which is racist. Not all of us have big noses and lips. You're just trying to be controversial in an effort to sound enlightened.

What about people with narrow noses and thin lips, do they have your permission to wear their weaves now?

If you had said that people should try to be realistic about their facial and bone structure when choosing styles, I would have understood but you're just being vulgar and offensive to prove a point.

I don't need to you to confirm for me whether black women look better in weaves or not. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so quick to judge people just because they don't conform to your view.

The systems of oppression that led to this discussion in the first place are well-established and complex. You are wrong to lord it over people just because you have had a different experience.

If you want to put your point across then do it without being arrogant. You are actually scaring people away from the natural hair movement with your attitude.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Lady Gets The Shock Of Her Life After Opening A New Baby Cream / I Caught My Husband Chatting With A Lady On Facebook & WhatsApp & Confronted Him / The Cousin My Mum Brought To My House Has Destroyed My Son

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.