Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,870 members, 7,813,964 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. (65314 Views)

Husbands Of Groom And Brides Moms Whos Dressing Got People Talking Spark Reacti / Husband Thanks His Wife For Putting His Name Under Her Father's House (Pix) / Emotional Torture In My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 8:27pm On Dec 23, 2019
jakandeola:
d girls are beautiful but I think u are wrong. dose girls are not Africans I think dey are Americans. oyibo weather make thier hair to be very soft weda black or white cos of thier cold.most naija and African girl got short hairs

Fiery come and see grin
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 8:27pm On Dec 23, 2019
Biglittlelois:

Jeez, it is not a Nigerian thing, why don't people understand individual choices and way of life? Is it only Nigerian mums that braid their kids hair
We tend to over do it.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 8:27pm On Dec 23, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

What type of hair product do you use for your 4c hair ?
More..
The struggle is real my sister grin

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by ireneidiva(f): 8:28pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Pls use your common sense, you can fluff it out with your fingers

And if it's short, just leave it:
Use my common sense? The picture looks like an African baby's hair fluffed out with fingers? Okay

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 8:28pm On Dec 23, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

What type of hair product do you use for your 4c hair ?
More..
Lemme go up and snap those lines I bought in the stores

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Biglittlelois(f): 8:28pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Didn't you say the other girls hair was soft? undecided

Now I posted "hard" hair for you.

You don't need to comb anything, just tie it. It's my go to style.

Braiding is fine, just without extensions, that's all and no pulling

How will one tie a child's hair without combing? How long will one continue to tie a child's hair without combing? How will the hair grow and prevent tangling?

I'm pretty sure you are not a kid, if that is your go to style

How will one braid a kids hair, any hair, without pulling?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 8:29pm On Dec 23, 2019
jakandeola:
is it by shawarma or dose rubbish food oyibo eat DAT dey try to make us eat. d best food to eat is vegetable and most Africa eat DAT.meat nko? did white pple even have yam or food like fufu.dont think all Africans are suffering. if u notice most IBO girls got long hair too because of dey eat lot of vegetables. so u cant say our hair is bad because we cant afford diet and good food.

You are still totally unserious dear. I didn't say that all Africans are suffering. Learn to call a spade a spade instead of getting emotional.

Shawarma is Lebanese food and not oyibo and besides it at least contains 3 of the main food groups cooked in a healthy way; small amount of bread, grilled chicken and fresh vegetables.

Yam and Fufu! Garri and semo! How many people can afford the kind of animal protein you need to accompany that starch? 3 times a day?

How many people are bothered about monitoring their diet What do some children even eat at school in the name of "lunch"? How many people take regular exercise for leisure, that promotes hair growth? And I don't mean the stressed out rushing about that we do. I mean stress-busting strolling or jogging.

Afro hair is the most brittle type and it needs good care at least with protective styles and correct products. I didn't even mention diet as the main thing but what you're saying here is simply not true.

Pack it dear!
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 8:31pm On Dec 23, 2019
sassysure:

Nigerian women will never stop that.
Over their dead body grin

And they wonder why their hair doesn't grow.

When they see long hair, they ask stupid questions.

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Biglittlelois(f): 8:31pm On Dec 23, 2019
sassysure:

We tend to over do it.

Not all, probably the ones around you.

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Bahddo(m): 8:35pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

Nope, it's totally necessary. Pain is as much a part of life as pleasure.

If you couldn't experience sadness you wouldn't know what happiness was. If everything was easy and painless to obtain, you wouldn't value it.

After seeing and sitting through the process of styling and making that hair, the child will learn to appreciate the importance of being patient for a good result as they grow older.

And they will know what styles and techniques they prefer. It's part of building their self-image.

The solution to a problem is not necessarily avoiding it altogether but finding a way to muddle through.
this is how Nigerians (across generations) have been conditioned to accept and even idolize suffering.

I don't know who did this to you but you don't need to pass through avoidable pain/stress before you can enjoy life.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Sterope(f): 8:35pm On Dec 23, 2019
Cream do not make hair longer. In fact, the cold in the aboad is more likely to damage and stunt hair growth. People with koily hair need special way of handling their way to make it grow longer.

It seems like black hair grow longer in the western world because the movement to retain length i.e trying to make black hair long is a mostly a western thing.

jakandeola:
most African girls use hair cream add different concution yet thier hair is still short.see forget DAT talk.if u know anybody in ur family or nairaland who lived abroad lets ask to avoid argument. trustyshoess cococandy ireneony mimzyy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 8:35pm On Dec 23, 2019
Sterope:
The pain of waking up for school or work every morning is necessary. Plaiting of hair? NO!

The child can decide what to do with the hair when she grows up including choosing a painless way of dealing with her haircheesy

That's a reductive argument. Some parents don't see school as necessary, some people don't even see work as necessary so where does it end?

If you don't see it as necessary then others do.

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Sterope(f): 8:36pm On Dec 23, 2019
Especially the edge's questions

1Sharon:

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 8:38pm On Dec 23, 2019
fieryy:

You're supposed to add a leave in on damp hair before combing and comb from the ends to the roots to gently remove any knots in the way.

Pls, I've posted some of the products we use. I always use live in conditioner and good products for African hair. I wash with shampoo and conditioner specifically for natural hair- jamaican castor oil (I've tried others, but they were not better than the jamaican castor oil products). After washing, i apply my masque and put shower cap for at least 30minutes to 1 hour before washing off the masque. Then , I apply leave in conditioner.
Afterwards, I use a detangling brush to comb out their hair. Before I start putting oils.
Yet, it's still shouts upon shout, just to wash hair lasan and we've not started plaiting o.

Pics of my disposable shower caps.
Btw, I'm also subscribed to several natural hair channels on instagram and YouTube, to show you that we mean business o.

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 8:39pm On Dec 23, 2019
Bahddo:
this is how Nigerians (across generations) have been conditioned to accept and even idolize suffering.

I don't know who did this to you but you don't need to pass through avoidable pain/stress before you can enjoy life.

It has nothing to do with Nigerians, even "oyibo" cultures where kids are supposedly spoiled all the time believe in teaching kids resilience.

I didn't say you have to pass through avoidable pain to enjoy life. I simply stated that some pains are unavoidable, so its better to learn how to deal with them and enjoy the pleasures that result.

Have you always enjoyed a perfect life without pain? Aren't you still enjoying your life?

And going back to the topic, you can't shield children from pain that's even temporary, all the time. It doesn't make sense

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 8:39pm On Dec 23, 2019
Biglittlelois:

How will one tie a child's hair without combing? How long will one continue to tie a child's hair without combing? How will the hair grow and prevent tangling?

I'm pretty sure you are not a kid, if that is your go to style

How will one braid a kids hair, any hair, without pulling?

Ask african Americans how they do it wink

These are all umcombed. You can finger comb.

Comb on wash day which will be at your discretion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

I was on natural hair for most of my life before I started locking it.
And my hair so stubborn and thick. I met a natural hair expert who guided me on how to handle my wild hair.

U see, we don't have beauty professionals who are experts on natural hair.
Also I noticed that the natural hair products in Nigerian markets are foreign. We assume it's not manageable but if we use the money we spend on artificial and hours of braiding to do the right thing for our natural.hair, we will find out that our hair is indeed beautiful.

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Shopatcandice(f): 8:41pm On Dec 23, 2019
I thought I was the only one that has issues with it. The funniest one is when they fix only the part that has hair. Very very very funny.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Biglittlelois(f): 8:45pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

One thing people should understand is that, the fact that one doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't mean they are stupid, it's like me saying you assuming all kids hair is a certain way, able to achieve same result, is stupidity in itself, but I wouldn't,

My hair is exactly like the pictures of this comment I quoted, I didn't have to put different chemicals or oils and whatnot to achieve that, I believe in making the hair grow on its own, using enhancing whatever spoils the hair and texture, I come from a line of long full hair people, not everyone will achieve the long soft hair no matter how much they spend on it, whether natural or not, if you don't have a long hair, you don't, stop making your illogical opinion seem 100% right, it isn't, we are talking of kids here, not adults.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

It has nothing to do with Nigerians, even "oyibo" cultures where kids are supposedly spoiled all the time believe in teaching kids resilience.

I didn't say you have to pass through avoidable pain to enjoy life. I simply stated that some pains are unavoidable, so its better to learn how to deal with them and enjoy the pleasures that result.

Have you always enjoyed a perfect life without pain? Aren't you still enjoying your life?
That pain is avoidable o.
Cut the damn thing
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 8:45pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

More..

And how are they panning out for you?

As of now , this are what I use.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 8:48pm On Dec 23, 2019
sassysure:

That pain is avoidable o.
Cut the damn thing

If it won't affect her self-esteem. If that's what she would like you to do.

After all, the hair will still grow again in a few weeks and she might have changed her mind by then.

But telling everybody to do that just because you think everybody must be like your child is nonsensical.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Biglittlelois(f): 8:49pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Ask african Americans how they do it wink

These are all umcombed. You can finger comb.

Comb on wash day which will be at your discretion

Are you saying those hair wasn't pulled to achieve two buns

5 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 23, 2019
This is clear child Abuse, These children will end up with Alopechia, This is also why most African women are bald.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 8:54pm On Dec 23, 2019
Biglittlelois:

One thing people should understand is that, the fact that one doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't mean they are stupid, it's like me saying you assuming all kids hair is a certain way, able to achieve same result, is stupidity in itself, but I wouldn't,

My hair is exactly like the pictures of this comment I quoted, I didn't have to put different chemicals or oils and whatnot to achieve that, I believe in making the hair grow on its own, using enhancing whatever spoils the hair and texture, I come from a line of long full hair people, not everyone will achieve the long soft hair no matter how much they spend on it, whether natural or not, if you don't have a long hair, you don't, stop making your illogical opinion seem 100% right, it isn't, we are talking of kids here, not adults.

You missed my point. A friend of mine in Nigeria gets asked if she is mixed race cos her hair is longer than Nigerian standards.

That's a stupid question cos blk ppl can grow long hair if only we'd love it. They don't need to be mixed.

Neither is it due to climate or whateve excuse you have
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 8:54pm On Dec 23, 2019
Biglittlelois:

Are you saying those hair wasn't pulled to achieve two buns

Yes, it doesn't need to be pulled tightly, that's what you aren't getting
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by nnekaike(f): 8:55pm On Dec 23, 2019
doitforyou:

Were you attacking me?

Again for the umpteenth time you keep missing the “daily” in “daily maintenance”. Obviously all hair types can be styled in a bun, but you’re not being realistic if you think ALL hair textures can sustain a daily maintenance of a bun for an everyday before school prep.

If the child desires to keep her hair and her mother obliges, most sane mothers will always go the route of less pain and more manageable hairstyles for their children.
You are right, my daughters hair is so stubborn to the core,I have bought and used countless hair product and its still the same,the hair can only be combed or styled when its wet and greased with enough moisturizer but once the hair is dry it will be so bad,the only solution is to make the hair once in 10days.NOT every hair can do what the OP just said,I recently cut off her hair but comb it and see it in 5minutes it will be as rough as u can imagine,the only solution now is to barb skin cut.

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Surrey2Bimshire: 8:56pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

More..

All the product are nice !

For me , these are the product I use .

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 8:57pm On Dec 23, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

And how are they panning out for you?

As of now , this are what I use.

They're nice products, and they do help with shedding as they make your hair well conditioned. However, there is still some pain. The only one time my children didn't complain of pain while plaiting their hair was when I used a flat iron to straighten it. That was years ago. It was so easy plaiting it afterwards, but using the flat iron again was a problem as you have to comb it before straightening. You really can't win.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by DMerciful(m): 8:58pm On Dec 23, 2019
Are you in Surrey?
Surrey2Bimshire:

I was about to type the same thing .
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Biglittlelois(f): 8:58pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Yes, it doesn't need to be pulled tightly, that's what you aren't getting

That picture you showed was pulled, can't you see the front of her hair is almost gone, due to pulling, whether tightly or not?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by mojeezy: 9:00pm On Dec 23, 2019
wow. are u fulani?

EMMNIG:

I totally disagree with your u, plaiting of hair at tender age is good for a girl child, because it prepares the child for the challenges that is attached to the future especially pains during labour. In my culture it is assume that a female who cannot bear the pains of plaiting can't as well bear the pain of labour. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Man Shares Photo Of Drug He Found In Younger Sister's Bag / Teenagers Dedicate Their Newborn Son In Delta Church / I Caught My Husband Chatting With A Lady On Facebook & WhatsApp & Confronted Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.